Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2021 8:27 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The downfall of the Heike starts with its own citizens (plus the royal families attached like the Taira Clan) moving out of the Capital and into Fukuhara, a place abundant of its seaside.

Well well, didn't expect Kiyotsune to have an idol by Atsumori, who can play the Saeda flute well. He even blushes at his sight, what brotherly love, while Sukemori sulks. If Shigemori was still alive, he'd be idolizing him. Playing the Saeda on the moonlit coast is nice, while Emperor Go-Shirakawa is literally "caged" in the small palace by Kiyomori's command of exile.

The abject nightmare that Kiyomori is facing, speaks volumes about the harbinger death of doom awaiting, that's a clue. To have brothers Koremori and Sukemori accompanying Biwa for her to play some biwa music to calm down the spirits, it also adds to the incentive of spurring forward for the Heike under Kiyomori's control.

Emperor Go-Shirakawa has started the rebellion with Yoritomo, and when it reaches Kiyomori's ears, he doesn't hesitate to put people at the front of the battlefield. A 70k Heike stronghold against the Genji's 200k under Koremori's leadership (that's TOO SOON to send him out), and Biwa's biwa song spells out their course of action, which the analogy of being startled by birds caused them to falsely retreat in fear.

Kiyomori is desperate, and he's exiling and beheading many of his followers, even his own children who fail to follow his command. Clearly a sign of how things begin to go so wrong, and even the children like Koremori feel the pressure. Such a sad sight to see.
KANLen09Oct 20, 2021 9:20 AM
Oct 20, 2021 8:50 AM

Jun 2019
Looks like they are relocated to a new location where the ocean is in front and mountains behind. Biwa is adorable as ever and looks like the brothers are doing great as well. All three of them really look like siblings. The new kid is quite an interesting one but he seems like a good kid. Biwa's music is great as usual.

Another war breaks out and everything's in chaos. Can't blame them since they are fighting against some of the fiercest warriors. Poor Koremori, I feel bad for the guy. He's not used to it yet.
Oct 20, 2021 9:56 AM

May 2017
another 5/5.

the writing and the directing is just so good. How can you not think that this anime is at the very fking least an 8? To me its close to a 10.

Each episode is filled with absolute beautiful cinematography.

I've seen people complain about Biwa being a terrible main character.. You don't even understand what the show is doing with her character. Shes a guide. she offers a peek into the Heike. She is not meant to be this impactful typical main character. She's on the sidelines following the Heike, while we loosely follow her. I think her character does absolutely what it has to do. She brings in a lot of emotions through her world view and childish naivity.

The whole war plot with Shigehira and Koremori, the impact that it has on these characters. It feels so real.

Grateful for this show at the moment. I hope it doesn't take a nosedive.
Oct 20, 2021 10:08 AM

Jul 2011
Atsumori, behavior give me creeps, I just can feel betrayer vibes.

Once more Tokuko continue getting the shit jobs, trying to calm down the emperor, and taking care of the husband that love her less than his mistress., while still being a good mother.

Koremori isnt courageous and they send Sanemori that have some insane morale speech /s . Thumbs up

That cat had some interesting eyebrows.
Oct 20, 2021 12:53 PM

May 2021
Feel bad for Koremori. He doesn’t have enough experience to be dealing with a war. Really loving this show so far. Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 20, 2021 1:30 PM

Apr 2018
The downfall of the Heike after the last episode shows for real. A place full of spirits called the Cage Palace, that's where they're currently vested. Atsumori is a character that I feel like that is not really trustworthy. How does Kiyostsune have someone who adores him? xD I mean, he can play the Saeda flute pretty good. The moonlit coast scene gave me some next level earrape (my volume was too loud) but it was beautiful. Biwa had to play in front of the Emperor to calm down the spirits. And lastly, the rebellion against Yoritomo. Kiyomori was appointed as the commander while he wasn't ready for it and it really showed how bad it is to send a novice like him against 200.000 Genji soldiers. Who wouldn't be scared when facing 130k more soldiers? He managed to save himself and is trying to change himself. Biwa can't do anything for him.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 20, 2021 8:52 PM
Mar 2015
The Heike ship is beginning to sink
Oct 21, 2021 4:07 AM

Oct 2016
This episode was really easy to follow, great episode! Heike really going straight to their downfall, fucking Kiyomori. Tokuko's child crying because of the waves... I do not like the sound of that. Well, it's only a matter of time before Biwa's vision of Tokuko's future comes true.

Really feel bad for Koremori man. The last episode ended with Koremori pain and this episode ended with Koremori pain as well. That's gotta be humiliating though, retreating because of a flock of birds lmao. Kiyomori was really gonna exile and execute his men, fucking bruh.
Oct 21, 2021 5:18 AM
Nov 2019
Every episode I try to find a single flaw... I can't find one.
Oct 21, 2021 5:40 AM

Jun 2021
Good episode.

The story is really starting to pick up and getting interesting. The only gripe I have is that sometimes the art style they use looks really cartoonish, which throws me off sometimes.
Oct 21, 2021 6:49 AM
Oct 2019
damn now they moved near ocean?
oh boy...

lmao Koremori runaway because of birds.
that's actually hilarious, i really thought the enemy really attack them.
Oct 21, 2021 11:47 AM

May 2017
AsashiiKimi36 said:
Every episode I try to find a single flaw... I can't find one.

exactly. the only flaw that I could possibly point out is the super-fast pacing. Thats it.. everything else is pretty much flawless?
Oct 21, 2021 4:30 PM

Sep 2019
Sending Koremori a pacifist by nature, and an amateur as a commander was recipe for disaster. The up-tempo music had me moving lol. Really enjoying this so far.
Oct 21, 2021 8:06 PM
Dec 2020
Waahh.. One of the most famous war tactic in history made an appearance and a sign of the real mc in this tales (Minamoto no Yoshitsune) is here! That 200k is a bs actually, the light in the mountain are actually just a torch, light up so the Taira think Genji have more soldier than they actually have, plummeting their morale.
Oct 23, 2021 12:58 AM
Oct 2013
When Kiyomori speaks his mind during Biwa's therapy session, I almost agree with him. But then I remember the destruction and suffering he caused. Like dude, just because you want to change the world doesn't mean you should destroy them in the process.

The sense of humour in this series is great. Every episode has it.
Oct 23, 2021 6:55 AM

Sep 2017
Man I love this show. I can smell the tragedy brewing. I feel so bad for Koremori. Feel like he will definitely die in battle. Emperor Takakura is such a sensible guy as well. The words he said to Tokuko were so nice. He knows they are both in an unfortunate situation. I wish Tokuko could speak a little more freely with him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind.
Oct 25, 2021 4:56 AM
Nov 2019
What's up with the fast pacing? I can hardly follow what's going on
Nov 1, 2021 6:16 AM
Mar 2012
Nice saeda & biwa music.
'Waves' been growing as an ominous symbol for the Heike.
lol Genji faction dude not believe anything.
Interesting contrast the real warriors got uneasy ptsd, while the sheltered like new saeda player romanticizes war.
Eyebrow cat cute
Nov 26, 2021 5:16 PM

Mar 2010
I was lowkey lost as to why they hid themselves, but damn To got to war must suck but then again if your winning.. then doesn't seem so bad. Still tho you can lose a limb or two eek and oof

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 16, 2021 2:11 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That's indeed quite depressing for Komemori, but they're really foreshadowing how things will turn, and not for the best
Jan 26, 2022 5:56 PM

Jul 2016
Being Koremori and Tokuko is suffering.

And oh boy, the Minamoto clan is coming.
Feb 15, 2022 3:10 AM

Jul 2015
Can't blame Koremori for fleeing there after being put as leader and heard about the scary Genji warriors. True blame should fall on that old fart Kiyomori for starting all this nonsense all because he wants Heike clan to be the best.

May 3, 2022 9:52 AM
Nov 2020
They got scared of the birds? Well pretty understandable since they were scared of the soliders so maybe it was a good call on their part...Also still trying figure were Biwa stands in all of this...So far she isnt playing much a role except for the few times where she does appear...Is she meant to be more of an observer? It might be the case, however not completely sure...
May 18, 2022 9:15 PM

Apr 2016
That was such a tense episode that I got surprised when the ending started, I wanted more.

More topics from this board

» Why have the dates when this series aired been changed from the autumn of 2021 to the winter of 2022?

WatchTillTandava - Nov 16, 2022

5 by Rexnihilo »»
Apr 19, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 13, 2021

35 by Andrzej2 »»
Apr 10, 5:07 PM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 27, 2021

26 by L01MK »»
Jan 14, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Nov 10, 2021

40 by Hydre_Ito »»
Dec 28, 2023 5:05 AM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Sep 22, 2021

54 by silent_lurker »»
Nov 12, 2023 5:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.