Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 3, 2021 9:23 PM

May 2017
Are there any people that like horror anime? Also, what was the first one that you watched that made you like the genre as a whole?
Oct 3, 2021 9:32 PM

Oct 2014
I think Horror is probably one of Anime's worst genres in terms of what that genre describes, as nothing is really scary. There are some trippy Avant Garde out there, they definitely capture the weird element and are much closer to being scary than Horror is. In fact, i find Suspense Anime to be way more effectively scary. It's really a shame because i don't know of any actually scary Horror Anime for the Halloween season.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 3, 2021 9:35 PM

Jul 2020
i wait for it to
be midnight so i can watch with no disturbance and it feels more scary when its night, nobody around and just immersed with what you're watching
Oct 3, 2021 9:56 PM

Apr 2015
Anime horror really is not scary but some of them have interesting themes which are the reason why I watch them.
Oct 3, 2021 10:00 PM

Nov 2020
I really like the horror genre, but I have to say anime fails miserably in that department. Probably because of the thought that it is animated? But I do think there are good horror anime such as Another or Higurashi.

If you are asking the genre as a whole, I would piss my pants whenever I would see a single scene of any horror movie when I was a kid. I hated that genre. But then my family forced me to watch Annabelle throughout. Well as for everytime, I was scared as hell. But magically after seeing that movie, I sort of created a immunity to horror and I started to appreciate it more.
If you ever feel bored and are questioning the meaning of your existence, read deez blogs. Maybe you will find your answers.
Oct 3, 2021 10:08 PM

Jan 2020
Horror anime feels like a myth at this point
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Oct 3, 2021 10:10 PM

Dec 2018
the genre doesn't really do that well in anime, but it's still one of my favorites. i don't remember watching any horror anime that gave me a lot of emotional/mental impact, but i still watch it for the atmosphere. as for my approach, there's none really, i just go for it. my first horror anime i think was tokyo ghoul.
*burps*  [font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Oct 3, 2021 10:15 PM

Apr 2021
I wish there was better horror anime out there as horror is my favorite genre overall. I feel like horror works wayyy better in manga than anime.
Oct 3, 2021 10:20 PM
Jul 2018
I approach it just like non-horror anime out there. That thing is it's not scary.
Oct 3, 2021 10:25 PM
Mar 2021
Horror is Horror but when you add anime to Horror it would become Horror anime and its not really Horror anymore. It's not scary.
Oct 3, 2021 11:05 PM

Feb 2020
I like horror anime for the spooky atmosphere, even if it's not scary. Shiki is a good example of a good horror anime.
Oct 3, 2021 11:09 PM

Feb 2020
decent horror anime are so rare that it's really not worth it. horror manga work much better. if you want to make yourself be scared by a horror anime then maybe just watch it alone in the dark or something lol. idk what else would work
Oct 4, 2021 12:09 AM

Aug 2019
they’re cool but I don’t really get scared watching them, but I think that’s pretty common
Dec 19, 2021 2:14 AM

Nov 2019
It's hard to get scared by Horror anime but I try to maximize my experience by watching at night with the lights off in a dark room. I used this method while watching Mieruko chan and it increased my ability to focus
Dec 19, 2021 2:27 AM

Jun 2019
As it's both one of my favorite genres in anime and a favorite across the entire media landscape of film/televison/etc. in general, as well as one of my earliest media-based obsessions from years back before even getting into anime, I can say this:

I approach it precisely the same way as any other genre, because:

1.) Everyone says that "There's no good horror anime", "No good horror in anime", "Horror in anime isn't scary or isn't as scary", or some variation thereof of that sentiment, but I don't agree at all. It isn't more or less scary for me on average than horror in any other medium.

2.) I don't find 99.9%+ of horror genuinely and deeply scary in either anime or any other medium.

3.) I don't watch and consume horror art and media to be scared.

Just as I don't cry from most dramas. Being genuinely, psychologically, physiologically, viscerally scared, terrified even, is in no way, shape, or form a prerequisite for either watching horror or taking in and appreciating all horror has to offer, the same as drama or any other genre. I think that's pop logic which is a popular preconception and misconception. It's absolutely irrelevant whether an individual horror story scares me or not or the degree to which it does. If you started watching horror from a very young age and watched copious amounts and diverse variations of horror as I have, you're pretty much long since burned out and desensitized to the core. Yet it doesn't negate the value of horror in any way, which has always had more to offer than eliciting a base sympathetic nervous system response.
WatchTillTandavaDec 19, 2021 2:34 AM
Dec 19, 2021 2:46 AM

Nov 2019
Good horror isn't scary. It's horrifying. Anime like Mononoke and Perfect Blue are good examples of horror anime that don't settle for lame ass jumpscares and be like "Heh, did I scare you? ...", but rather they evoke emotion from the cursed situations the characters are placed in.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Dec 19, 2021 9:24 AM

Jun 2012
Whenever I see people say most horror anime are trash, it reminds me of when people say most horror movies are trash. It's true, but it is also true of every genre in existence, so the statement is meaningless.

The problem with horror in anime compared to other mediums is that there is so few of it. Whereas with something like romance, even though the vast majority is crap, there is such a massive barrage of it that occasionally one manages to stick.

The statement that anime "can't do horror" is disproved by shows like Perfect Blue, Higurashi and Shiki. Whether a show is scary is completely subjective, but horror has more things going for it than just how scary it is. Granted, I say that a seasoned horror fan when most people probably just dip into horror occasionally for a cheap visceral thrill.
Shoot first, think never.
Dec 19, 2021 10:27 AM

Mar 2019
Horror anime: "Oh, you're approaching me? Instead of running away, you're coming right to me?"
Me: "I can't watch the shit out of you without getting closer."
Horror anime: "Ho ho! Then come closer as close you like."

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Dec 19, 2021 10:33 AM

Aug 2020
Horror animes and mangas are never scary.
Recently I was really afraid to read a manga called Hideout but after reading it, I found it interesting but there was nothing scary about it and this is how it goes for most horror animes too.
Dec 19, 2021 10:47 AM

Feb 2021
Best Horror anime are made by Takena Nagao. His anime have true horror.
Dec 19, 2021 1:33 PM

Apr 2019
By the nature of the medium visual horror (including jump scare etc.) works even worse than in live action. Anime gore simply can't compete.

What works perfectly well in anime is psychological horror. Perfect Blue, Shiki, Higurashi & Co.

Dec 19, 2021 9:46 PM
Aug 2021
i love horror anime, horror in general is great. but calling it horror is a massive stretch when dealing with anime.

while other medias can do horror well, anime is not one.
it can do gore really good, graphic content. but if you're looking for a proper jump scare, or anxiousness id look elsewhere.
maybe if you're like 10 some of these shows would be scary.
i hated Gremlins when i was younger and looked under my bed for days thinking spike was going to grab my feet lol.

i would love to find an actual horror movie that would make me jump and leave the room.

my approach is knowing it isn't the truest sense of horror. and a massive graphic warning is really what they mean.
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one...
Dec 19, 2021 10:25 PM

Jan 2020
>How do you approach watching horror anime?
I don't. I don't like horror as a genre at all. So whether it be anime or anything else, I just avoid it. I can't stand the nerve-wracking anticipation and the jump scares. Can I handle gory shows though? Yes.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Dec 19, 2021 10:47 PM

Feb 2019
So far I haven't watched any horror anime, only horror manga.

『ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰɪʀᴇ』

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the bi◼️?]

☽ † ☾
- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
- ꜱɪɢ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴᴛᴡɪɢ

More topics from this board

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 8 hours ago

21 by DarkShame2 »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

48 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Yesterday

22 by FanofAction »»
14 minutes ago

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - 59 minutes ago

8 by TheMechaManiac »»
19 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 32 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.