Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Oct 4, 2021 5:01 PM

Jan 2021
welp its finally over

Not gonna lie the ending was kinda meh but besides that everything else was amazing

Anime gets a 9/10
ZMATRIXOct 5, 2021 4:21 AM
Oct 4, 2021 5:06 PM
Apr 2021
ZMATRIX said:
welp its finally over

Not gonna lie the ending was kinda meh but besides that everything else was amazing

Anime gets a solid 10/10

I really can't understand how and why someone will give this 10\10. I can understand 6-7\10 if you're like generic bs and don't like to think too deep, or if you're not a fan of original Higurashi, but... man this shit doesn't deserves anything higher than 7, and even then it's a big stretch
Oct 4, 2021 6:01 PM

Mar 2021
I was really disappointed by this series with how much I was looking forward to it after the finale of the last.
The entire thing was almost just a retelling of the last season and when that finally changes it just ends. It was fine fore the first couple episodes but grew tired of it pretty quickly.

But this is just my opinion
Oct 4, 2021 8:49 PM

Sep 2021
the resolution would be nice if only Satoko had not been killing everyone and Rika for the past 38 episodes, continuously giving Rika even more mental trauma.

Their parting words to each other were incomprehensible to a mortal mind like mine who has not live for centuries through looping timelines. I mean, unless they get killed, Rika won't ever loop back to 1983 again so speaking about looping and what not between themselves at the end was kind of weird (unless we were referencing/name-dropping the lore from the VNs Umineko, Cidonia, whatever came after...i have no idea, please don't start criticizing at my lack of knowledge of original R07 works; i only comment on this anime with the viewpoint of an anime-only).

Satoko on the other hand, if she gets killed before Rika would go into a fragment without Rika so that could be the start of another anime series or OVA about her getting back into a fragment where Rika exists lol

tl;dr of the resolution:
Mion, Rena, Keiichi: You don't have to spend your entire lives together all the time if you are truly best friends
Satoko and Rika: oh...
Oct 4, 2021 10:10 PM
Jan 2014
I got some plot hole concerns that appeared spread out in the first season of Higurashi Gou that I felt were not mentioned or resolved (maybe I missed their explanations). Primary it regards the principal Kaieda of the original anime (and other related adaptions) but there are inconsistencies.

-At the end of episode 8 (~21:26) of Gou the second arc Watadamashi-hen, Ooishi explains to Keiichi obviously the victims that we can confirm died from Sotsu's answer arc of Wataakashi-hen episodes 4-6 but who are though skeletal remains from three different victims over ten years ago that he mentions? In the Higurashi (2006) version at end of the Watanagashi-hen arc episode 8, Oosihi does not mention anything like this but talks about Takano's strange death which gets answered in that series eventually.

-Near the end of episode 11 (~18:04) of Gou of the third arc Tataridamashi-hen Keiichi inform the male child-service employee that all of Satoko's classmates and faculty are present totaling 16. However in Higurashi Kai episode 9 (~3:57) Minagoroshi-hen arc he tells a female child-service employee there are 17 in total. The thing that makes it bizarre in series is there is an empty seat in Gou (~18:22) next to Rika likely for the principal Kaieda but well though, the seating is a little different in Kai (~4:21) (there is more seating too, about 21 seats in fact).

Anyways for the moment that is all the discrepancies I could remember. I had, fortunately, had the opportunity to watch the original and made my way up to the Sotsu at end of the Tatariakashi-hen arc and just had time to binge the rest after airing. Maybe, I am overestimating here or not. Maybe there were issues that Studio Passione had with writing and adaptation or maybe there was a lack of Ryukishi07 in the production at some point. If any other things come to mind I will post them here.

In my honest opinion, I was expected there to be another grander mystery/reveal to come after in Sotsu, more than the reveal in Gou with Satoko but then again just like the original it started as horror and ended as fighting destiny/fate (like series like Promise Neverland, Shingeki no Kyojin, etc.) bascially a change in genre. Would get in my thoughts of the question and answer arcs and their presentation between the two anime adaptations but that not relate here.

Oct 5, 2021 12:53 AM

Oct 2016
OMG I don't know if I should cry or laugh happily.

After all the chaos and disasters, the story finally ends.

Hanyuu fought Eua so hard she turned her into a loli. OMG that was so unexpected. It's the funniest moment and also the most kawaii one.

I'm so glad to see Satoshi recovers. I was crying so hard. It's such a shame we didn't get to see him meeting Satoko.

And the rest of Hinamizawa ended well.

Even if the journey was rough, the ending is beautiful.

Please no more sequel after this. I don't want to see any more blood after this.
Oct 5, 2021 3:13 AM

Aug 2008
Hmm, reviewers haven't had too much mercy on this anime. But I can understand where they're coming from. Questioning the point of the whole plot (After all, the mystery is solved), questioning some stuff, such as Rika's and Satoko's fighting montage (I happened to have liked it), and to motivations of the three main characters (Rika, Satoko, and Eua. I'd say Hanyuu was more of a side character for the most part)

I for one, would've also probably have had mixed feelings about this. But when I start considering the bigger plot, and the connections to Umineko, I see the story in a better light.

It's strongly hinted at the end that the girls are not quite the same. And I strongly believe that the events of Gou/Sotsu is what leads to the creations of Featherine, Bernkastel, and Lambda in Umineko, if not directly, perhaps as the catalysts.

And when I think of that, I regard both Gout/Sotsu as a good anime. Perhaps not as good as the original seasons, but here, instead of solving the mystery of the deaths in the village, it's more of the events that trigger Rika and Satoko into becoming witches in the future. As for explaining why Eua would know them here, you'd probably have to regard it a a Witch thing, with time and space not really mattering to them, the ones with the highest ranks.

Anyway, that aside, I really have to hand it out to Passione for doing a great job with the animation and quality consistence, and Watanabe's character designs. And the music was pretty good. The Dear You at the end was pretty lovely too.
Oct 5, 2021 5:35 AM

Oct 2010
I think people are missing an important part. Satoko (the one we followed through the series) did get a punishment. She became something that can't even enjoy the happy peaceful life filled with friends, see her unenthusiastic reaction to Teppei's talk about a yakiniku. Yes, the problem started due to a very simple issue, but it lasted too long and even with that issue solved they couldn't just reset things, which is why we end up with that talk about eternal life between Satoko and Rika. They aren't the same people they were before all that.

Note that in the final episode, Satoko even had a different speech style in the witch scene and monologue near the ending compared to her "usual" speech, so either she left the fragment after talking about chasing Rika again (when the flowers fly into the sky) and the Satoko left in the final scene isn't even the one we watched throughout the series, or she put on a mask at that point, since she reverts to talking like standard Satoko.

yhagni said:
Their parting words to each other were incomprehensible to a mortal mind like mine who has not live for centuries through looping timelines. I mean, unless they get killed, Rika won't ever loop back to 1983 again so speaking about looping and what not between themselves at the end was kind of weird

In the last two episodes they were jumping between worlds all the time, no need for deaths, like how the club meeting (late 1988) and epilogue (march 1987) are already two different worlds. It also happened several times during their battle (especially the sword chase sequence where people can't even argue that Rika was dying off-screen). Of course, there wasn't a single word explaining why their abilities changed/evolved, they just did.

flakewater said:
-At the end of episode 8 (~21:26) of Gou the second arc Watadamashi-hen, Ooishi explains to Keiichi obviously the victims that we can confirm died from Sotsu's answer arc of Wataakashi-hen episodes 4-6 but who are though skeletal remains from three different victims over ten years ago that he mentions? In the Higurashi (2006) version at end of the Watanagashi-hen arc episode 8, Oosihi does not mention anything like this but talks about Takano's strange death which gets answered in that series eventually.

That's a reference to the original VN. The Sonozaki used to make people disappear and hide their bodies in there, but they had stopped doing it for a while. Still, due to that, they were suspected of being involved with Oyashiro-sama's curse. Watadamashi had a different script writer from the rest of Gou/Sotsu, who seemed more knowledgeable about the original series than the one handling the rest of the anime's script.

Hulio said:
She tried studying for many loops? Exactly when did that happen? Pretty sure she repeated St. Lucia only ONCE.
Anyway, even if she did go to St. Lucia multiple times, you'd imagine a person with "street smarts" would try to actually NOT GOING if it wasn't that nice.

It was stated in the finale when Satoko was talking with Rika by the riverbank. She said she studied for so many years she couldn't even remember how many there were, and couldn't even stand the idea anymore. Then Rika talks about looping lives developing allergies and getting hitches from just thinking about certain matters.

And, yes, it's really dumb how none of that was shown back in Gou. It had been clear for a while, but the anime staff really messed up on expanding whatever plot they got from R07.
NeonDZOct 5, 2021 6:01 AM
Oct 5, 2021 6:24 AM

May 2020
NeonDZ said:
I think people are missing an important part. Satoko (the one we followed through the series) did get a punishment. She became something that can't even enjoy the happy peaceful life filled with friends, see her unenthusiastic reaction to Teppei's talk about a yakiniku.

She reacts the same to Shion as well. Although I think this is an effect of her being depressed at loosing Rika and not apathy. It's unclear whether Rika and Satoko ever truly made up to begin with

Imo, this is Satoko being depressed at Rika leaving and nothing else.

I need to bring up something related though, Did you miss the part where 'Witch' Satoko leaves so that normal Satoko can enjoy life?

Witch Satoko (red eyes) =/= Looper Satoko.

The only one who can't accept Hinamaizawa is witch Satoko not Looper Satoko.

Some people argue that Witch Satoko = Looper Satoko but that is completely false. Simply because we know for a that Bernkastel =/= Looper Rika as Saikoroshi tells us. (which is confirmed to be Cannon now so there's no excuse)

Satoko suffered 0 consequences except being sad that Rika left. The Satoko we're following, Looper-Satoko escaped Scot free.

Although the show that spent 12-13 EPs recapping and explaining every aspect of You, they could have explained this more in detail too.

There's also a meta reason for this.
Simply because they can't have more 'fun' Higurashi stuff if looper Satoko became Apathetic and depressed toward life.

I wish that the ending made the difference between witch Satoko =/= Looper Satoko more clear it's a confusing mess and I suspect Ryuukishi kept it unclear so that he could Walk back on Satoko being Apathetic like I I said.
ChargecoulombOct 5, 2021 6:30 AM
Oct 5, 2021 6:52 AM

Aug 2009
NeonDZ said:
I think people are missing an important part. Satoko (the one we followed through the series) did get a punishment. She became something that can't even enjoy the happy peaceful life filled with friends,

That would make some sense if.... you know....she wasnt torturing, kiling, and driving her friends insane JUST FOR LAUGHTS for years in countless worlds, leaving the survivors with huge traumas and a sense of loss.

So honestly even if we look at it how you do, we simply cant be arsed to care about this...mild inconvenience she suffers.

Throughout the course of the story the only reason we should care about her is Ryukishi forcing us to care. Which surprise surprise, just doesnt work.

Oct 5, 2021 7:01 AM

Oct 2014
NeonDZ said:
It was stated in the finale when Satoko was talking with Rika by the riverbank. She said she studied for so many years she couldn't even remember how many there were, and couldn't even stand the idea anymore. Then Rika talks about looping lives developing allergies and getting hitches from just thinking about certain matters.
It wasn't stated, it was simply Satoko stating it, her opinion or whatever. It could be 4-6 years and she just lost the count, or can't do math, she hates studying after all.

Honestly it's just bad writing, in trying to make the end more impactful "I studied soooo many years I don't even know", while they forgot that she actually didn't loop several times in St. Lucia.

Let's give it a shadow of doubt and say, Satoko looped 100 years in St. Lucia, studying. How god damn retarded you have to be to study for 100 years and still know nothing. Simply "I hate studying" isn't cutting it.
Secondly, if we consider Satoko hating studying, we're expected to believe she just studied for "100" years? Instead of like, killing Rika in repeat?

Satoko is an unreliable narrator, and you can't take anything she says by the face value, let alone as truth.
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Oct 5, 2021 7:04 AM

Oct 2014
ssjokg said:
That would make some sense if.... you know....she wasnt torturing, kiling, and driving her friends insane JUST FOR LAUGHTS for years in countless worlds, leaving the survivors with huge traumas and a sense of loss.
She didn't kill anyone for, "Just for laughs". She had a good reason to do what she did.
She hated studying, there's a uhh... big difference to that, y'know.
Oct 5, 2021 7:20 AM

Aug 2009
Hulio said:
ssjokg said:
She didn't kill anyone for, "Just for laughs". She had a good reason to do what she did.
The difference between you and Ryukishi is that he unironically made this a character motivation.

Also, she isnt an unreliable narrator. She is retarded narrator. I dont think she actually lied about anything. Ryukishi really went and made Rika give up on her after getting her new JK friends, apparently(what, you wanted a St Lucia Rika POV? FUCK YOU).

So her words are the absolute truth, it is just that her way of speaking (certainty this, certainty that and other pretentious shit over freaking studying)is really stupid.

Also, shoutout to those poor souls that were convinced that "studying" had nothing to do with her actions and motivations.

Man....in a way I want Ryukishi to continue this...whatever way of writing this is, to see what kind of bullshit he can come up with.

Cant wait for Umineko Sokubaku or whatever where Ange traps
In Gou fashion the first 3 arcs are Umineko 1-3 but with lame twists and then in Umineko Hofuku, we get recaps of all that.The end eps are

At least this makes much more sense than "I hate studying"....
Oct 5, 2021 8:16 AM

Apr 2009
Satoko doesn't even need to study lol She should know all the answers, the idea she studied for years is nonsense proved wrong by the script itself.

If she can brute-force Takano's secret password and the stupid ass card came (and god's know what else, remember when she spent one year learning how to use a gun?) there is no reason to assume she'd need to even study all St.Lucia's exams again, or ever.

Oct 5, 2021 9:29 AM
Apr 2021
Jin_uzuki said:
Satoko doesn't even need to study lol She should know all the answers, the idea she studied for years is nonsense proved wrong by the script itself.

If she can brute-force Takano's secret password and the stupid ass card came (and god's know what else, remember when she spent one year learning how to use a gun?) there is no reason to assume she'd need to even study all St.Lucia's exams again, or ever.

Ryukishi and Passione thought that all viewers either too stupid to find these holes, or too clever to take it and they'll(too clever viewers) come up with some idea that will defend those stupidity by "it's not stupid, it's too deep for you" lol
I mean, there realle are people that so delusional and don't want to admit that whole 39 episodes were spent for nothing, that they'll keep creating some "higher plan" behind what we've seen
Oh, and director is clearly an idiot, because it looks like he thinks that "b-grade splatter" somehow remove any needs for logic
Oct 5, 2021 10:22 AM

Sep 2021
NeonDZ said:
yhagni said:
... I mean, unless they get killed, Rika won't ever loop back to 1983 again so speaking about looping and what not between themselves at the end was kind of weird

In the last two episodes they were jumping between worlds all the time, no need for deaths, like how the club meeting (late 1988) and epilogue (march 1987) are already two different worlds. It also happened several times during their battle (especially the sword chase sequence where people can't even argue that Rika was dying off-screen). Of course, there wasn't a single word explaining why their abilities changed/evolved, they just did.

which is why it was weird that instead of just plainly saying "let's keep some distance between ourselves for some time seeing as how spending so much time together is unhealthy to each other" they instead had to talk in cryptic language.

I would assume their abilities/power didn't change/evolve into leaping worlds but attribute their fight scene to be possible because of a miracle (lol), and after accepting their lecture, they decide to off themselves again to enter the epilogue fragment when they can go their separate ways before St. Lucia.
Oct 5, 2021 1:25 PM

Oct 2014
ssjokg said:
Also, she isnt an unreliable narrator. She is retarded narrator.
Yeah, this is actually a better way to put it.
Ryukishi really went and made Rika give up on her after getting her new JK friends, apparently
That's probably how it is, or more like. I don't think Rika actually gave up on Satoko, but just completely passivised.
So her words are the absolute truth, it is just that her way of speaking (certainty this, certainty that and other pretentious shit over freaking studying)is really stupid.
That. Tho she likely exaggerated things, like the attention demanding brat she is.
Also, shoutout to those poor souls that were convinced that "studying" had nothing to do with her actions and motivations.
Yeah lmao.
Man....in a way I want Ryukishi to continue this...whatever way of writing this is, to see what kind of bullshit he can come up with.
I dunno, Evangelion genre Umineko about Ange not liking studying in St.Lucia and goes on rampage killing everyone... Maybe I'd skip it.
Oct 5, 2021 1:45 PM

Oct 2010
Hulio said:
NeonDZ said:
It wasn't stated, it was simply Satoko stating it, her opinion or whatever. It could be 4-6 years and she just lost the count, or can't do math, she hates studying after all.

Honestly it's just bad writing, in trying to make the end more impactful "I studied soooo many years I don't even know", while they forgot that she actually didn't loop several times in St. Lucia.

Let's give it a shadow of doubt and say, Satoko looped 100 years in St. Lucia, studying. How god damn retarded you have to be to study for 100 years and still know nothing. Simply "I hate studying" isn't cutting it.
Secondly, if we consider Satoko hating studying, we're expected to believe she just studied for "100" years? Instead of like, killing Rika in repeat?

Satoko is an unreliable narrator, and you can't take anything she says by the face value, let alone as truth.

Large time skips will always be an issue here, and feel like no time is passing at all, due to Naoki Hayashi's dumb hate for monologues. Back in Gou they did show Satoko had created more fragments than just the 5 loops we saw on screen before the 100 years view though. So, it's not -completely- out of nowhere, it's just unsatisfying because there was nothing in the narrative hinting at exact nature of those off-screen loops.

Add to this how some witch/loop related scenes for no reason seemed to like showing Satoko as completely unemotional (even though she is emotional even with witch eyes in other scenes). The train scene even suffers from this, with Satoko and Rika suddenly becoming very robotic during it even though the Lambda/Bern scene they were referencing wasn't stiff like that at all.

Regarding the amount of time looping, that's why they talk about how loopers can grow to hate certain things and being unable to stand them. Rika wants to leave Hinamizawa, Satoko can't stand St.Lucia even more than originally exactly due to the loops (or maybe even studying in general, note how Tomita, Okamura and Rika were all showing off their upcoming high school uniforms, but Satoko had nothing in the finale).

ssjokg said:
The difference between you and Ryukishi is that he unironically made this a character motivation.

You mean Naoki Hayashi.

In R07's interviews he mentioned Satoko's existing traumas and an already unhealthy relationship with Rika. Both thought they understood each other perfectly and saw each other's actions as antagonizing them when they seemingly acted in an unexpected way. That's what was going on in St.Lucia based on R07's interview.

The issue is that Naoki Hayashi, the anime script writer, for whatever reason seemed to genuinely believe "study" was somehow catchy and easy to understand and doubled down on it. Still, overall, it's very bizarre how R07 gave interviews about how studying wasn't the core issue, but even considering how the director has said he gave them great freedom, he allowed the anime to focus completely on it during a crucial set of episodes.

Higurash Mei, the gacha game, retold the Rika x Satoko contronfration from Sotsu for its newest event, and in addition to some parts that were direct adapted from the anime, it had stuff like Satoko's angst about feeling Rika had a side she could never understand before looping or Rika actually blaming Satoko for the deaths she caused, and then Satoko striking back and accusing Rika of basically killing her family just to make them get closer, since she just watched it all happening again and again with a smile. But all of that involves going back to events of the original series rather than Gou/Sotsu's plot, and it's pretty clear the anime staff wasn't interest in that... which is also why we had stuff like Shion erased from the timeskip, but she's confirmed to be shown reacting to the St.Lucia stuff in the upcoming Jun manga (manga follow up of Gou which will have different Answer Arcs). They didn't care about her because the nee-nee stuff isn't relevant for Gou/Sotsu but it's obvious anyone who knows the character will want to know what was up with her.
NeonDZOct 5, 2021 2:09 PM
Oct 5, 2021 2:30 PM

Oct 2014
NeonDZ said:
Large time skips will always be an issue here, and feel like no time is passing at all
It's not like a time skip is a problem here. They want us to believe that Satoko did X which wasn't foreshadowed, mentioned, nor does it make any sense considering what she has been doing.

It fits her narrative, but it contradictory to her destroyed character.

Back in Gou they did show Satoko had created more fragments than just the 5 loops we saw on screen before the 100 years view though.
Wdym she had 5 loops before watching Rika's?
She met Eua -> She looped -> She met her again -> She watched Rika's loops.
She went to St. Lucia only twice.

The loops we saw on screen, happened after all of this. The last chapter of GOU is the chronologically first.

Add to this how some witch/loop related scenes for no reason seemed to like showing Satoko as completely unemotional (even though she is emotional even with witch eyes in other scenes).
I don't quite see what you mean by this.
Cause Satoko looks unemotional she studied for hundred years?
Her looking seemingly unemotional doesn't prove anything else that she looks unemotional, which likely means she also is unemotional.
Sociopath is probably a better word her current state.
Oct 5, 2021 3:02 PM

Jun 2019
Chargecoulomb said:
I wish that the ending made the difference between witch Satoko =/= Looper Satoko more clear it's a confusing mess and I suspect Ryuukishi kept it unclear so that he could Walk back on Satoko being Apathetic like I I said.

Yes, they would argue that they went to lengths to establish a throughline with the whole snapping business and clearly differentiated the witch as a separate persona over the visible split represented onscreen in the episode Satoko resisted against killing Teppei, but from a grander perspective, where regular Satoko who obtained the ability to "loop" like Rika ends and the separate consciousness of the witch begins is incredibly vague and not delinated well.

Chiefly because it's unclear in the first place why a witch born as a separate entity of hundreds or thousands of years of lives and loops lived and the struggles would necessarily be malicious since Frederika Bernkastel being born from Rika's collective cycle of lives and death has been speculated since at least the end of Kai where she made an appearance with the young Takano, but never in the first two seasons or Rei did we see that mean Rika harming anyone she knew needlessly, let alone torturing or killing her friends, poisoning, shooting, dragging the intestines out of the people around her for petty reasons. And if the implication is that Bernkastel never had any presence in Rika at the time of the events portrayed in the earlier seasons, even though she explicitly references it in Rei, and only makes that brief cameo in the Kai post-credits scene, then that means they did more to draw a distinction between Rika's normal biological age "first life" and older "looper" self's persona than between Satoko and a cosmic being.

I'm also not buying that it's only "Witchtoko"/possibly Lambdadelta who is prone to such viciousness, because that persona wasn't portrayed as taking over the driver's seat of Satoko's body and brain until the Teppei killing episode of Sotsu. Before that, that means regular human Satoko still supposedly sat for 100 years and rewatched in detail all the events of the first two seasons plus plenty of related deaths and tragedies which was obviously beyond the scope of the first two seasons, and still decided to exact agonizing deaths on Rika and the rest of the club for years, decades, a century or more if need be, essentially over nothing (she could simply choose not to go to the school - it isn't like Rika could do anything at all about it other than say words - Rika hasn't even remotely demonstrated in any persona to be at all willing or emotionally capable of inflicting any of the same violence, let alone over something like this. She hasn't been portrayed to have ever even attacked anyone).

It's like Ryukishi wants the audience to believe that "No, this isn't the Satoko many of the fans know and love from the first two seasons or fun romps like Kira. This is something otherwordly and bestial which is like an alien being. The Satoko we know isn't capable of all that." But the Satoko we know still did plenty of it actively and enthusiastically before "losing control" to the witch. Killing Rika even once seems like enough. Hell, giving up on your regular human lifespan to watch a century of your best friend being tortured in some time-suspended cosmic nether region and then deciding to take over the role of her tormentor riles up fans enough and already speaks to what she's capable of, which is just out of left field compared to anything depicted in the first two seasons, regardless of how anyone attempts to spin or justify it.

But personally, even if I were to acknowledge this whole sloppy project as canon, I feel like the implications don't bother me as much as it may some, since I may have took a different message, one among several, away from the Higurashi story than most. Which is that anyone is capable of literally anything (within the limitations of what's physically possible) given the right and specific circumstances giving rise to it. Circumstantial morality. Sometimes this is portrayed bombastically and sometimes subtly.

I still have a bigger problem with the last minute offscreen, unexplained universe switching. Why, if it's the "perfect world" now where Teppei, Rina, and Takano are redeemed as a product of accumulated collective unconscious from Satoko's looping would Satoko and Rika's parents still be killed? It makes no sense. Both are fully aware of what's been happening and supposedly are deliberately changing universes again to reset, but Satoko can't avoid becoming symptomatic with Hinamizawa syndrome again and killing her parents and Rika can't prevent Takano from poisoning her father? When she remembers everything crystal clear to the extent that by the time of becoming 14 years-old and departing at the train, she even remembers a conversation she had with Satoko about her fancy school friends down to the same wording? It's wholly irrational.

Hulio said:

It seems very clear to me and has since Gou that the actual reasons go far beyond studying, but the writers just decided early on never to bother it to write it into the show or develop the story with any more depth and detail in plot construction, monologue, or dialogue. They simply decided not to write the story beyond the surface level. It almost seems like a massive scandal and scam.

Also, if NeonDZ's posts outlining the development process and difference between how elements of the story were abandoned wholesale in Gou/Sotsu versus how they were portrayed in other mediums is accurate, then what I and many suspected for a while is true, which is that Gou/Sotsu had some interesting ideas and kernels of what could have become a good enough story as a sequel, but it was completely irreparably mangled by a hack director, hack writers, and a derelict studio.

WatchTillTandavaOct 11, 2021 2:29 AM
Oct 5, 2021 3:25 PM

Oct 2010
Hulio said:
Wdym she had 5 loops before watching Rika's?
She met Eua -> She looped -> She met her again -> She watched Rika's loops.
She went to St. Lucia only twice.

No. There was her original life then the first St.Lucia loop. Then one loop where Satoko throws herself in front of a truck because Rika didn't choose between her and St.Lucia, one where she takes Rika to see the sunrise and then kills herself when Rika talks about St.Lucia. One where she kills herself in the classroom, and one where she fights with Rika near the river. Each time she looped, when the loop ended a fragment was shown being created around Eua. However, there were more fragments floating around than just the 5 corresponding to the loops seen on screen, and even a shot showing multiple fragments forming without showing what was going on within them.

I don't quite see what you mean by this.
Cause Satoko looks unemotional she studied for hundred years?
Her looking seemingly unemotional doesn't prove anything else that she looks unemotional, which likely means she also is unemotional.
Sociopath is probably a better word her current state.

No, my point is just that, in a rather inconsistent way, they often portrayed her as cold and unemotional, when showing her witch side, even though in many scenes she's shown emoting just fine even with red witch eyes. Doing that basically stopped them from showing any real weight from these loops.

A scene that had always bothered me due to this was the one where she comes out of Rika's 100 years. This was the first scene after the birth of her witch eyes persona even. She talks about mind damage there and then asks if the same was true for Rika, but she does all this in a cold clinical tone where it doesn't sound like she's talking about herself or was affected at all (but then the script has her first talking about herself before wondering if it also applies to Rika).

WatchTillTandava said:

I still have a bigger problem with the last minute offscreen, unexplained universe switching. Why, if it's the "perfect world" now where Teppei, Rina, and Takano are redeemed as a product of accumulated collective unconscious from Satoko's looping would Satoko and Rika's parents still be killed? It makes no sense. Both are fully aware of what's been happening and supposedly are deliberately changing universes again to reset, but Satoko can't avoid becoming symptomatic with Hinamizawa syndrome again and killing her parents and Rika can't prevent Takano from poisoning her father? When she remembers everything crystal clear to the extent that by the time of becoming 14 years-old and departing at the train, she even remembers a conversation she had with Satoko about her fancy school friends down to the same wording? It's wholly irrational.

Presumably because they didn't restart from an earlier date, but rather 83 like usual - which does get odd when they were shown jumping to other dates in the previous episode... although I guess none of them were before 83, but it's still odd. On the other hand, Witch Satoko is shown being just bored with Teppei and Shion, it's only her human self that can appreciate them, so maybe they didn't bother because they don't care.

Production-wise, they presumably didn't want a final world that felt alien/too different. Something that's not very noticeable in the English script is that Satoko talks in a fairly different way from Lambda, in spite of the shared laugh... until these last two episodes, where it's suddenly revealed she has an inner voice that has pronouns and particles closer to Lambda's. And yet we didn't see that inner voice previously at all even when she was talking in the sea of fragments or by herself. And even in these last two episodes, they only used it for a few moments. Even when we had that Witch vs human Satoko scene in Tatariakashi, the witch still just talked like Satoko. Basically, they seemed to think that changing Satoko's speech pattern would make her lose her identity as "Satoko", even though they apparently had to execute this plot point anyway.

The final fragment is probably a similar compromise. They wanted the ultimate perfect world... but one that didn't feel like a completely different universe.

I'm also not buying that it's only "Witchtoko"/possibly Lambdadelta who is prone to such viciousness, because that persona wasn't portrayed as taking over the driver's seat of Satoko's body and brain until the Teppei killing episode of Sotsu.

Her witch side was definitely in control by that point. Note that she initially aims to kill Teppei until human Satoko suddenly stops her and then there's the break. The witch was already the main personality, the human one just emerged briefly due to some regrets she had. Note that Witch Satoko describes human Satoko as "mere leavings from old fragments". She was the past already by that point, which is why she lost and couldn't oppose the witch.
NeonDZOct 5, 2021 4:43 PM
Oct 5, 2021 9:59 PM

Aug 2009
So we are back at "Passione is filled with hacks". Makes more sense, and I prefer it a lot more than Ryukishi having a brain aneurysm while writing a new story.

I hope Mieruko-chan doesnt suffer that much as an adaptation. Different staff but who knows....
Oct 6, 2021 2:16 AM

Apr 2009
NeonDZ said:

Her witch side was definitely in control by that point. Note that she initially aims to kill Teppei until human Satoko suddenly stops her and then there's the break. The witch was already the main personality, the human one just emerged briefly due to some regrets she had. Note that Witch Satoko describes human Satoko as "mere leavings from old fragments". She was the past already by that point, which is why she lost and couldn't oppose the witch.

Looping and the way witches work in SotsoGou is so nebulous and unexplained anyone can literally make anything they want out of it, especially because it straight up contradicts how looping worked in the previous work and in the final episodes, the show even ignores its own rules, and everyone now gets to loop, without dying, at any point in time.

The human Satoko plotline shows up in one episode and then disappears like it was never there, anyone can claim anything about how Satoko's felt and it would be correct, the only thing we knew is that she showed no regret about killing anyone but Teppei, but she was OK with anything going on until that point. Was she OK chandeliering Rika? Was the human who laughed when she injected Rena and Mion? When did "The Witch" take over and when did the human stop? We don't know, cuz it's never properly explored.
Jin_uzukiOct 6, 2021 2:27 AM

Oct 6, 2021 2:25 AM

Jun 2019
Well, she's basically out of character for most of the Gou and Sotsu seasons with the way it is written. In the first place, I don't see her so readily abandoning and/or doing what she does to Shion, Keiichi, and especially Satoshi with everything extensively depicted in the first two seasons to pursue an obsession with Rika and breaking Rika's will, let alone on what amounts to a whim and pretense so flimsy it's practically non-existent.

But in line with what I said above and as other users' replies have elaborated on, I think a large part of that is basically because the writers just effectively decided not to write the show they were tasked with and jerk off with the time and money or something. I feel like Passione should be audited.

As another user said, I hope the influence of such people in that studio and such a lackluster, non-commital approach doesn't influence new series like Mieruko-chan. But I have watched and appreciated notable aspects of other series from them in the past such as Rokka no Yuusha and Ishuzoku Reviewers (even if the latter is really outside of my usual wheelhouse with respect to genre). They have an overall mixed to below average and increasingly controversial track record. I wouldn't mind seeing how they handle a series I'm unfamiliar with and have no lingering attachment to, but would be very skeptical and averse to see them handed a sequel, remake, or reboot of any kind of any already beloved series like Higurashi.
WatchTillTandavaOct 6, 2021 2:33 AM
Oct 6, 2021 7:36 AM

Apr 2009
Jin_uzuki said:

They had to make it a plot twist that she was secretly studying, using Eua's powers. Then before the last fight, she and rika should have fought Eua with the sword D:
Oct 6, 2021 7:39 AM
Oct 2021
WatchTillTandava said:
Chargecoulomb said:

Yes, they would argue that they went to lengths to establish a throughline with the whole snapping business and clearly differentiated the witch as a separate persona over the visible split represented onscreen in the episode Satoko resisted against killing Teppei, but from a grander perspective, where regular Satoko who obtained the ability to "loop" like Rika ends and the separate consciousness of the witch begins is incredibly vague and not delinated well.

Chiefly because it's unclear in the first place why a witch born as a separate entity of hundreds or thousands of years of lives and loops lived and the struggles would necessarily be malicious since Frederika Bernkastel being born from Rika's collective cycle of lives and death has been speculated since at least the end of Kai where she made an appearance with the young Takano, but never in the first two seasons or Rei did we see that mean Rika harming anyone she knew needlessly, let alone torturing or killing her friends, poisoning, shooting, dragging the intestines out of the people around her for petty reasons. And if the implication is that Bernkastel never had any presence in Rika at the time of the events portrayed in the earlier seasons, even though she explicitly references it in Rei, and only makes that brief cameo in the Kai post-credits scene, then that means they did more to draw a distinction between Rika's normal biological age "first life" and older "looper" self's persona than between Satoko and a cosmic being.

I'm also not buying that it's only "Witchtoko"/possibly Lambdadelta who is prone to such viciousness, because that persona wasn't portrayed as taking over the driver's seat of Satoko's body and brain until the Teppei killing episode of Sotsu. Before that, that means regular human Satoko still supposedly sat for 100 years and rewatched in detail all the events of the first two seasons plus plenty of related deaths and tragedies which was obviously beyond the scope of the first two seasons, and still decided to exact agonizing deaths on Rika and the rest of the club for years, decades, a century or more if need be, essentially over nothing (she could simply choose not to go to the school - it isn't like Rika could do anything at all about it other than say words - Rika hasn't even remotely demonstrated in any persona to be at all willing or emotionally capable of inflicting any of the same violence, let alone over something like this. She hasn't been portrayed to have ever even attacked anyone).

It's like Ryukishi wants the audience to believe that "No, this isn't the Satoko many of the fans know and love from the first two seasons or fun romps like Kira. This is something otherwordly and bestial which is like an alien being. The Satoko we know isn't capable of all that." But the Satoko we know still did plenty of it actively and enthusiastically before "losing control" to the witch. Killing Rika even once seems like enough. Hell, giving up on your regular human lifespan to watch a century of your best friend being tortured in some time-suspended cosmic nether region and then deciding to take over the role of her tormentor riles up fans enough and already speaks to what she's capable of, which is just out of left field compared to anything depicted in the first two seasons, regardless of how anyone attempts to spin or justify it.

But personally, even if I were to acknowledge this whole sloppy project as canon, I feel like the implications don't bother me as much as it may some, since I may have took a different message, one among several, away from the Higurashi story than most. Which is that anyone is capable of literally anything (within the limitations of what's physically possible) given the right and specific circumstances giving rise to it. Circumstantial morality. Sometimes this is portrayed bombastically and sometimes subtly.

Hulio said:

It seems very clear to me and has since Gou that the actual reasons go far beyond studying, but the writers just decided early on never to bother it to write it into the show or develop the story with any more depth and detail in plot construction, monologue, or dialogue. They simply decided not to write the story beyond the surface level. It almost seems like a massive scandal and scam.

Also, if NeonDZ's posts outlining the development process and difference between how elements of the story were abandoned wholesale in Gou/Sotsu versus how they were portrayed in other mediums, then what I and many suspected for a while is true, which is that Gou/Sotsu had some interesting ideas and kernels of what could have become a good enough story as a sequel, but it was completely irreparably mangled by a hack director, hack writers, and a derelict studio.

This. So much this.
Oct 6, 2021 7:41 AM

Jul 2014
Lol

That's all i can say
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Oct 6, 2021 8:19 AM

Oct 2014
NeonDZ said:
No. There was her original life then the first St.Lucia loop. Then one loop where Satoko throws herself in front of a truck because Rika didn't choose between her and St.Lucia,[...]
Hmm, I had forgotten these ones. But still, these moments happened before they went to St. Lucia. Satoko was trying to stop her from going.

However, there were more fragments floating around than just the 5 corresponding to the loops seen on screen, and even a shot showing multiple fragments forming without showing what was going on within them.
I have no idea how GouSotsu is trying to make the Fragments work, but afaik the fragments pretty much exists from the beginning.

Seeing a Fragment doesn't mean that Rika or Satoko have went them through, they're more like save files which you can load your looper self in.

In any case, even if she went through more fragments than what we've seen, I refuse to believe she continuously went to St. Lucia to study like she should have.

#1 One of the few things that actually make sense in GOU is that when she kills Rika, she essentially gives up on the St. Lucia route.
#1b If she still went to St. Lucia, then why kill Rika in the first place?
#1c If she still went to St. Lucia, then why would she kill Rika again in there?
#2 Repeating and trying to change Rika's decision of enrolling makes more sense than waiting until you enroll there aswell.
#3 Speculative, but if you repeat school so many times, you'd figure you could eventually do what is needed without studying.
#3b If you can do hundreds of loops to figure out a passcode or beat a card game, you could just aswell beat School with that.. If you cared about it enough to repeat it.
#4 Satoko hates studying, and apparently she hated from the beginning. First time through St. Lucia was disgusting for her. 2nd time she was bamboozled that it all was happening again and that it is a dead end. I don't really see her wanting to go there for the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 10th, 100th? time. And why would she, when she can just die and try #2 again.
Oct 6, 2021 12:05 PM
Jan 2018
Hated it, as expected after watching the previous episode. Even if I could look past the cheesy fight scenes (which I can't), this has to be the most unsatisfying ending imaginable. At least Gou still felt like Higurashi.
Oct 7, 2021 10:07 AM

Jul 2014
10/10 "we swear they're just friends" plotline ever.

Wild ride from start to finish, it was absolute nonsense and I enjoyed every second of it.

Edit: Okay I'm coming in to edit after stewing a bit.

Did it have it's problems? Absolutely.

But I enjoyed it, honestly it felt like something you don't see writers do, which is I guess, experiment? Show off drafts of stories of what could have been? It honestly felt like a big "what if" that usually is put in a drafting folder, and we got to witness it. And that's neato burrito in my book.

I feel like I don't share the same sentiments on the claims that this ruins the series, mostly because I know I can just boot up the games and they are there for me, how they were intended to be, for me to enjoy the story they give us.

While this anime here, can just be, I suppose, just it's own thing that honestly was fun to watch what happened.

It was a fun 'what if', a branch of reality we got to witness, with some messages about how friendship doesn't mean you have to stay together and how you should take fate in your own hands to inact miracles or something.

It didn't land all the time but there were some moments that were pretty great.
crowbuttsOct 8, 2021 6:09 AM
Oct 8, 2021 4:23 AM
Nov 2009
The beginning was totally giving a Naruto vs Sasuke vibe lol.

The train scene had some Umineko reference. They just missed the part where either of them said "It would be nice if you didn't have to play the most hated role in the next story."

I think my biggest gripe with this show is how it's trying to change the narrative to be like Umineko. There wasn't enough build up to make a satisfying "it was all just an allegory to the mental struggles of the character tied with some red herring and unreliable narrator."

It's hard for me to justify all the things Satoko did. And the reason for why she did them was also very lackluster. But who knows maybe there's a bigger picture to this. Where did Eua go? Who's Vier? etc. Too many reference to other WTC-verse without any explanation just makes it more disappointing rather then exciting.
Oct 9, 2021 10:16 AM

Jul 2008
This gets a 6/10 but that might be too high.

13 of the 15 episodes just repeat exactly what happened last season except for exposing Satoko as the villain.

And in the end Rika and Satoko are selfish morons is all we learned. All that pain and death for something so petty.
Oct 9, 2021 4:36 PM
Jan 2015
Si1verR0se said:
Chargecoulomb said:
1/10 extremely disappointed.

Higurashi fans got nothing
Umineko Fans got nothing
Yuri fans got nothing

A complete and utter waste of time. This disappointment is an utter cancer on WTC. Passione should be ashamed about making this, and Ryuukishi should be ashamed he wrote this mess. This destroyed Rika and Satoko for what? NOTHING!

No witch ending, no Yuri ending. Nothing. Absolutely fucking nothing.

This is a shame. A real shame.

After everything, Passione has the balls to play dear you at the end of this travesty.

Wdym, the last 2 episodes were 10\10 shounen with good action. That's just a "What if Higurashi was shounen anime?" side-story. It's not even canon

Also there was an Umineko reference in the end, so while umineko fans got nothing Uminkeko fags got "A LOT OF REFERENCES!!!! RYUKISHI YOU'RE SO GOOD, WILL LICK YOUR BOOTS AGAIN!!!! 10\10" lmao. Telling you there will be posts like this, just wait and you'll see

Man, this ending was anticlimatic. First Eua(not Featherine, yeah, lmao. Ryukishi you're full of shit) got wiped even though she was way stronger than Hanyuu, then Satoshi just waking up and boom, we forget about him again lol. Then there's Takano who clearly got NO PUNISHMENT(yeah remeber she killed a lot of people? Oh, and she just ratted Tokyo lmao. Forget about it, it's not like it matter). Also I dare to say that "all of what Satoko have done just washed away because of some weird shit. Cuz we returned to the world where Satoko went to Saiguden, remember that epsiode 20 of Gou(or somewhere there)"
What a waste of 39 episodes it was. Though Ryukishi got dem money from both SotsuGou, collabs(PUBG lmao), and more Higurashi incoming so...
I'm done with this franchise. Never gonna bother with anything new probably. Gonna stick to OG Higu\Umi

GOD im so glad I wasnt the only one that thought this turned in to a shonen on the last few episodes lmao
Oct 10, 2021 5:09 AM

Mar 2020
binge watched this shit whole day long and now I have cancer and brain damex
Oct 11, 2021 2:49 AM

Oct 2008
I actually saw this conclusion coming tbh that rika and satoko going separate ways... Rika can’t just force her dream on Satoko and Satoko can’t just force Rika to stay in hinamizawa, they just grew apart. Hence it’s best solution for them is to go on separate ways... If there’s anything is that I found it a bit over the top that blood had to be shed over this issue... and then in the end they resolved it in just quarrel and fist fight and pep talk from their friends for a conflict that last about thousand year? Lol

Oh well, atleast I’m still happy with Teppei getting his own happy ending and getting along with everyone, after those redemption he went through, I believe he really deserved that ending. I wished I could’ve seen Satoshi meeting Keiichi though since they showed him finally waking up and I’m really curious how he will interact with Keiichi and also react with reformed Teppei. I believe that an OVA would perfect for this to explore those details

I’m still confused Eua though who was she really. What was this she saying that hanyuu is once part of her?

So was this sequel worth it? Tbh I don’t really find this sequel necessary and I’m probably one of those people who thinks the first half of gou were painfully boring and it only became interesting with this shocking Oishii twist and you just need to really endure what seemed like bad rehash of the series till that twist. Even with all the revelation that this is a sequel series, it’s just really kinda dragging compare to the original series. Even st lucia arc is also dragging. And Sotsu is just pretty much Gou but in Satoko’s perspective. It just makes you beg to get into conclusion already. So in the end, I would suggest to just stick with the ending of original series since that ending is already perfect imo.
Oct 11, 2021 4:35 AM

Jun 2019
jestyn said:
I wished I could’ve seen Satoshi meeting Keiichi though since they showed him finally waking up and I’m really curious how he will interact with Keiichi and also react with reformed Teppei. I believe that an OVA would perfect for this to explore those details

An OVA has already explored those details of how Satoshi would interact with Keiichi.

It's called episode one of Kira.
Oct 11, 2021 5:43 AM

Apr 2014
I feel like a great compromise for Rika and Satako would have been to take turns living out their lives the other way the other person wants; St. Lucia life or Hinamizawa, and when they get old kill each other and do the life the other one wants. They apparently still have looping powers so I don’t see why this wasn’t even brought up.

Other than that, that was probably the best animated loli beat down I’ve ever witnessed. Guess that’s where all the budget went.
Oct 13, 2021 12:19 PM

Jan 2013
It took Satoko 100+ years to realize they don't need to be together to be friends ...
She didn't learn anything after seeing all the memories Rika had to experience but instead doubled down on screwing over Rika until she finally got her selfish wish fulfilled.

This season was such a disappointment.
First off we get to see literally every single event that happened in Gou but from the perspective of Satoko after we figured out how everyone went so insane in such a short amount of time, all with the drug.
We already knew in Gou she had the drug so it's safe to assume we can already guess how the majority of events played out.

Then there's the decisions some of these characters took, example being Teppei that literally just does nothing for Satoko despite being told the entire village bullies her ... but no let's just listen to the kid and let her deal with the abuse, he can be the one to make sure she gets a nice comfy home to get back to.

I'm not saying I was bored out of my mind watching this, in fact I thought some of the "gruesome" scenes were funny at times.
It just felt like such a waste to spend pretty much 13 episodes recapping events that happened in Gou, especially with the selfish goal of Satoko in mind which was nothing compared to what Rika had to go through.

6/10
Oct 16, 2021 2:42 AM

Mar 2020
Chargecoulomb said:
trgnhn said:

I just wanted to make sure because if that’s how it is. Then it’s kinda fucked up that after the whole friendship speech the two of them somehow died, further traumatizing the "original" squad. But anyhow they "magically" transformed back to kids after holding hands due to the power of under-developed yuri love I guess.

Eua probably got lolied at the same time. When she left, the fragment reset.

Making them kids again.

Remember when featherin was hanyu?

Well, neither do I. Now Eua is her evil sibling or gay yandere childhood friend, and they probably have heavenly parents and relatives in heavenly realm1, above which is heavenly realm2, and above that is heavenly realm3.

And to reach them you gotta cultivate your inner qi like mad for centuries but no worries you are literally immortal, and you have mcguffin swords and shit to help you power up just in case prolonged meditation(read: time looping) wasn't enough

Remember when meta world was something actually meta and metaphorical? now we Chinese fantasy power levels, except rapist main characters are replaced by rapist not-lesbians horny for each other
Oct 18, 2021 3:04 PM

Nov 2020
I don't know why most of the people hated this ending, but of all the other Higurashi seasons, this is the only one that I voted 10/10, because it was that good honestly according to me..

Anyway I'm still confused what Satoko meant during the end when she was saying that its time to meet rika and she snapped her fingers and then she suddenly changed, I was trying to find an answer to this but Not found till now, Please Explain this to me ..
Oct 21, 2021 6:50 PM
Mar 2016
I'll pretend that anything past the first 3 season don't exist. Why try to tie in a later work that is 50+ hours of reading and has a piss poor anime adaptation. Anyone who likes the two latest seasons really need to get their heads checked.
Oct 21, 2021 11:01 PM
May 2018
Sorry but people are fuullll of shiiittt watch the OG higurashi seasons then watch this and tell me they are all that different. People are just dumb and don’t realize the best thing of the first seasons of higurashi is that it that they are like a magic trick, once you figure out what is happening it loses a bit of it’s magic.

I recently found myself not enjoying this season as much so I kinda drop it, but recently I decided to rewatch the OG the ovas and the movie I was missing and then I finished this season and let me tell you, this fits perfectly in the Higurashi universe.

This season is the logical escalation of the story, ffs in the first season we aren’t even presented the actual main character until the last episodes that season is far more down to earth, the second one outside forces got involved thus a bigger we learn about a bigger conspiracy, and now in this season we learn it wasn’t over and the stakes got even higher.

I do understand why some people dislike it but if you love higurashi and hate this season I dare you to re watch the earlier seasons and then watch this. It’s a ridiculous thing to ask but if you do it you might find that honestly isn’t as bad as all the profesional reviewers that had their reviews ready weeks before the anime finished said it was… the ending of the second season holds a special place for me because i watched both seasons back to back with no brakes and it was an awesome journey figuring out what was going on in Hinamizawa but honestly if this seasons would have been available back then and I watch them before pouring over every online higurashi forum to completely understand the story I probably would have had even greater feeling for this seasons.

In summary I loved this new seasons, I hated watching them weakly and many times I almost gave up on the series but I’m glad I didn’t, the final 5 episodes gave us a lot of scenes that seemed to be a love letter to higurashi and the last episode gave me an ending that actually caught me off guard and ended up being one of the most beautiful moments I saw in higurashi
AnimendezOct 21, 2021 11:29 PM
Oct 22, 2021 12:51 AM

Aug 2009
Animendez said:
Sorry but people are fuullll of shiiittt watch the OG higurashi seasons then watch this and tell me they are all that different. People are just dumb and don’t realize the best thing of the first seasons of higurashi is that it that they are like a magic trick, once you figure out what is happening it loses a bit of it’s magic.

I recently found myself not enjoying this season as much so I kinda drop it, but recently I decided to rewatch the OG the ovas and the movie I was missing and then I finished this season and let me tell you, this fits perfectly in the Higurashi universe.

This season is the logical escalation of the story, ffs in the first season we aren’t even presented the actual main character until the last episodes that season is far more down to earth, the second one outside forces got involved thus a bigger we learn about a bigger conspiracy, and now in this season we learn it wasn’t over and the stakes got even higher.

I do understand why some people dislike it but if you love higurashi and hate this season I dare you to re watch the earlier seasons and then watch this. It’s a ridiculous thing to ask but if you do it you might find that honestly isn’t as bad as all the profesional reviewers that had their reviews ready weeks before the anime finished said it was… the ending of the second season holds a special place for me because i watched both seasons back to back with no brakes and it was an awesome journey figuring out what was going on in Hinamizawa but honestly if this seasons would have been available back then and I watch them before pouring over every online higurashi forum to completely understand the story I probably would have had even greater feeling for this seasons.

In summary I loved this new seasons, I hated watching them weakly and many times I almost gave up on the series but I’m glad I didn’t, the final 5 episodes gave us a lot of scenes that seemed to be a love letter to higurashi and the last episode gave me an ending that actually caught me off guard and ended up being one of the most beautiful moments I saw in higurashi

No you are full of shit. The original Higurashi revealed who the real MC near the end of s1 yes but it didnt reveal what and why is everything is happening. The culprit was still hidden till the second to last arc and besides Rika' ability to reset everything else was realistic, for the lack of better word. No guns and syringes appearing out of nowhere, no impossible injections, no clearly fatal injuries that in the end are just flesh wounds, no fake delusional scenes, no traps activating through magic and the characters,good and vil, actually use their brain to win.

Yes the logical escalation of a small group of friends trying to survive a repeating summer because a maniac with a virus thesis is having a god complex is having those friends sadistically trying to kill each other over the most petty reasons possible, escalating to mahou shoujo DBZ fights, all of that because some brat cant fucking study....and it all ends because some irrelevant to their fight guy said "Well friends cant always be together lol".

I dare you to rewatch the of seasons, this time with an active brain that can comprehend what it is watching.

Love later to higurashi? This show shat on everything that made Higurashi good.
Oct 22, 2021 1:07 AM
May 2018
ssjokg said:
Animendez said:

No you are full of shit. The original Higurashi revealed who the real MC near the end of s1 yes but it didnt reveal what and why is everything is happening. The culprit was still hidden till the second to last arc and besides Rika' ability to reset everything else was realistic, for the lack of better word. No guns and syringes appearing out of nowhere, no impossible injections, no clearly fatal injuries that in the end are just flesh wounds, no fake delusional scenes, no traps activating through magic and the characters,good and vil, actually use their brain to win.

Yes the logical escalation of a small group of friends trying to survive a repeating summer because a maniac with a virus thesis is having a god complex is having those friends sadistically trying to kill each other over the most petty reasons possible, escalating to mahou shoujo DBZ fights, all of that because some brat cant fucking study....and it all ends because some irrelevant to their fight guy said "Well friends cant always be together lol".

I dare you to rewatch the of seasons, this time with an active brain that can comprehend what it is watching.

I dont care dude i bet you havent re watched the OG one in a while, i did an it does lose a bit of the magic once you delve a lot into the lore. My criticism of the new seasons is that at times it was tedious and that the side cast seems a bit shallow but i also dont fault the show too much because although satoko said rika was not seeing the good of hinamisawa neighter did she, but in the end when they part ways satoko finally pays attention to the good thing she still has in hinamizawa even after rika is gone.

i think its a good story i dont care what you say, most of the critics wrote their reviews the same day it finished airing which to me is insane. higurashi just doesnt seem to me like the type of anime you can watch and review weekly i personally struggled too keep up but once i watched it in one seating my opinion changed. The second season ending is still my fave but this season isnt as bad as some "fans" claim, i even saw a couple that scored some of the fan service ovas higher that this which is just silly lmao
Oct 22, 2021 1:24 AM

Aug 2009
Animendez said:
ssjokg said:

I dont care dude i bet you havent re watched the OG one in a while, i did an it does lose a bit of the magic once you delve a lot into the lore. My criticism of the new seasons is that at times it was tedious and that the side cast seems a bit shallow but i also dont fault the show too much because although satoko said rika was not seeing the good of hinamisawa neighter did she, but in the end when they part ways satoko finally pays attention to the good thing she still has in hinamizawa even after rika is gone.

i think its a good story i dont care what you say, most of the critics wrote their reviews the same day it finished airing which to me is insane. higurashi just doesnt seem to me like the type of anime you can watch and review weekly i personally struggled too keep up but once i watched it in one seating my opinion changed. The second season ending is still my fave but this season isnt as bad as some "fans" claim, i even saw a couple that scored some of the fan service ovas higher that this which is just silly lmao

"I dont care" then proceeds to care.

And funny how you say "some ""fans"" when the last ep's love and hate % is basically the same and the score keeps going down even now and with negative reviews being in the front page.

You must have very weird definition of "some".

I dont know about what kind of magic you think the show lost when NO QUESTION WAS ANSWERED till the 2nd episode of the 2nd season, which still made sure to leave a ton of stuff a secret.

Like, what "lore" did Higurashi have other than "some people go nuts and start killing others, please find out why" before mid season 2?

Oh yes Satoko parted ways with Rika and got a happy ending.....after being right below Stalin and Hitler in the top 5 most evil bitches to exist in history and fiction. No punishment, no apology to anyone and of course the "witch" takes from of responsibility from her.

Wow, what a great ending. I am so happy that she was rewarded for being a sadistic murderous psychopath to the people that loved her the most, in countless worlds for countless years. Lets just forget the survivors of other fragments that have to live with huge trauma and loss because of what she did.

Thanks for opening my eyes to the masterpiece that is GouSotsu. 10/10 best sequel ever!!!!
Oct 22, 2021 1:41 AM
May 2018
ssjokg said:
Animendez said:

And funny how you say "some ""fans"" when the last ep's love and hate % is basically the same and the score keeps going down even now and with negative reviews being in the front page.

I dont know about what kind of magic you think the show lost when NO QUESTION WAS ANSWERED till the 2nd episode of the 2nd season, which still made sure to leave a ton of stuff a secret.

Like, what "lore" did Higurashi have other than "some people go nuts and start killing others, please find out why" before mid season 2?

Oh yes Satoko parted ways with Rika and got a happy ending.....after being right below Stalin and Hitler in the top 5 most evil bitches to exist in history and fiction. No punishment, no apology to anyone and of course the "witch" takes from of responsibility from her.

Wow, what a great ending. I am so happy that she was rewarded for being a sadistic murderous psychopath to the people that loved her the most, in countless worlds for countless years. Lets just forget the survivors of other fragments that have to live with huge trauma and loss because of what she did.

Thanks for opening my eyes to the masterpiece that is GouSotsu. 10/10 best sequel ever!!!!

yeah dude like i said i dont care, wanna keep venting do it in my comment section im starting to feel bad about stinking up this forum with your wrong opinions.

I liked it and i can understand people not liking it but the hate it gets just seems silly to me rewatch the first seasons and then we talk, if you watch them 10 yrs ago no wonder why they seem extra magical but honestly although they gave me the best thrill the first time i watch it upon re watch they dont feel the same, all im trying to say is that for a franchise with already 61 episodes exploring its story, this last 39 eps dont do such a bad job giving us more content, cry if you want idc in my opinion you cant re create the magic of the first seasons and this is the next best thing so i enjoyed it for that.
Oct 22, 2021 2:02 AM

Aug 2009
Animendez said:
ssjokg said:

yeah dude like i said i dont care, wanna keep venting do it in my comment section im starting to feel bad about stinking up this forum with your wrong opinions.

I liked it and i can understand people not liking it but the hate it gets just seems silly to me rewatch the first seasons and then we talk, if you watch them 10 yrs ago no wonder why they seem extra magical but honestly although they gave me the best thrill the first time i watch it upon re watch they dont feel the same, all im trying to say is that for a franchise with already 61 episodes exploring its story, this last 39 eps dont do such a bad job giving us more content, cry if you want idc in my opinion you cant re create the magic of the first seasons and this is the next best thing so i enjoyed it for that.

For someone that doesnt care you say a lot. Not that they are good arguments or make any sense whatsoever but you sure say a lot for someone that doesn't care..

When your only arguments are that "you are wrong" and " It isnt the best they could have given too us"...well I wonder why you even try to defend this shit,
Oct 22, 2021 2:09 AM
May 2018
ssjokg said:
Animendez said:

For someone that doesnt care you say a lot. Not that they are good arguments or make any sense whatsoever but you sure say a lot for someone that doesn't care..

When your only arguments are that "you are wrong" and " It isnt the best they could have given too us"...well I wonder why you even try to defend this shit,
I don’t care, you think the show is shit I think your opinion is shit. I don’t think is free of criticism but the hate it gets is silly so yeah I still think most negative comments are full of shit deal with it.
Oct 22, 2021 2:10 AM

Aug 2009
Animendez said:
ssjokg said:

I don’t care, you think the show is shit I think your opinion is shit. I don’t think is free of criticism but the hate it gets is silly so yeah I still think most negative comments are full of shit deal with it.
If you dont care then why did you bother anyway?

Be careful, Satoko was also making zero sense like that.
Oct 22, 2021 2:14 AM
May 2018
ssjokg said:
Animendez said:
If you dont care then why did you bother anyway?

Be careful, Satoko was also making zero sense like that.
ok dude don’t care go re watch the OG higurashi
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2021

395 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 4:12 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2021

215 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 4:03 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2021

159 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

121 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 3:05 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2021

124 by xxdaisiesxx »»
Jan 17, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.