Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 2, 2021 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ouch..Keiichi gets nailed right in the head and beat up by Satoko in classic Higurashi fashion. I guess he wasn't prepared at all after all the bloodshed he saw.

Ooshi showed a rather disturbing side of him and seems that he was affected by the curse. Satoko played her role exactly as the way I had expected to though, given the recent events. A hell of a thrilling episode.
Sep 2, 2021 8:17 AM

Jul 2012
I enjoyed the ep all the way through and overall really liked it, especially the vastly improved cut of the Ooishi mass-shooting, which is much better presented than what we got back in Nekodamashi 1.

However! I do have some problems with the entire counterpart thingie.

So, we got the real perspective (they still aren't really bothering to comment on the whole filter thing, ever present when bonkers stuff is usually happening) of the entire K1 scene at the Houjou residence. It was Satoko all along, no surprise there. I kinda was expecting once again for them to address the whole unreliable perspective thingie they have been hinting for a while there, but nothing of the sort once again was talked about. Then again, sure, he only saw Teppei once he got hit hard in the head and never saw Satoko, and that's consistent as to why it would be an unreliable perspective in which he sees Teppei as the attacker, but still, they didn't really adress it too well, and I bet the written script works better in this regard.

Therefore, much like Oniakashi, I feel like this is a missed opportunity to at least address a given subject that sparkled quite a bit of speculation for a while, just to be kinda put aside as just "that happened and we won't talk about it further".

We don't even know if it is just a similar mirror arc like some other theories tried to speculate (much like Watanagashi and Meakashi were just very similar but ALSO pretty different arcs/kakeras at the same time). So yeah, that's a negative point for this ep on my end (much like Oniakashi 3).

Kagurashi-arc next (God's Entertainment, inb4, Eua laughing her ass off and just having a blast chilling and watching Nekodamashi lol).

I wonder what will that be about. it sure sounds pretty different altogether.
Perhaps Eua watching OG Satoko in the Rika-less world or something?

Kinda intrigued to find out, we are finally out of the counterpart arcs, which by nature feel sorta rehashed (though I don't have much of a problem with that, and Meakashi is, in fact, one of my favorite chapters 'because' of the revisiting in a different perspective, and I kinda wish we had more of that in the OG Higurashi that wasn't just the kakera piecing game by the end tbh).

My overall thoughts for the Sotsu revisits is that they are good stuff (expanded with visual novel exclusive information, adding to the anime-only experience for people who just watched those, as well as giving us some great scenes with Satoko, Teppei and Rena, though I expected a bit more from Mion's), but could use some trimming on the overly long recaps in portions of both Oni and Tatari (Wata did it great, barely anything was rehashed overall).

On to Kagurashi-hen, whatever that may be!
DanpmssSep 2, 2021 8:47 AM
Sep 2, 2021 8:54 AM

Jul 2017
Satoko's H173 inverse character cannot be stopped, NOT ANYMORE.

This is supposed to be the alternate (not exactly a mirroring) of Nekodamashi-hen Part 1. Just some good ol' Wataganashi Festival festivities...and a secret killing of Keiichi with Ooishi's itchy injection of a trance all doctrinated by Satoko.

Man is this a wild episode, even more heart-trembling and gut wrenching than of the entirety of Nekodamashi-hen. Hanyuu was supposed to rescue her in Gou, but Sotsu made sure that Satoko got what she wanted, retaining the Sea of Fragments part.

Kagurashi-hen is next...and what will this arc bring to the infinite Higurashi universe? This to Eua, the God's Entertainment arc will be interesting.
Sep 2, 2021 9:02 AM

Jan 2015
I don't know if it has been censored, but this is definitely not realistic.

Sep 2, 2021 9:03 AM

Apr 2009
Top tier episode. My favorite parts:

- Suddenly we have Umineko style unreliable narrator scenes, despite this never happening before in all of SotsuGou or even the original Higurashi, not even for the scene so absurd everyone thought it was an hallucination (Keiichi vs Rena fight)

- Rena watching the whole thing unfold and forgetting to mention dear friend Satoko confessed, shot Ooishi, Rika and then suicide. Seems kind important!

- But also Satoko ignoring that people can remember stuff from previous fragments, despite her enacting fragment memory leak in the first place

- Rika's dance AGAIN

Only 4 episodes left, hopefully it's even more recap.

Sep 2, 2021 9:06 AM

Jun 2021
What an non-suspenseful episode.

The same lines, the same scenes (how many times are we going to watch Rika dance?), and no twist at the end. I seriously question whey chose to spend 5 episodes on this arc.

Hopefully they can redeem themselves in the next arc.
Sep 2, 2021 9:15 AM
Apr 2021
Jin_uzuki said:

- Suddenly we have Umineko style unreliable narrator scenes, despite this never happening before in all of SotsuGou or even the original Higurashi, not even for the scene so absurd everyone thought it was an hallucination (Keiichi vs Rena fight)

- Rena watching the whole thing unfold and forgetting to mention dear friend Satoko confessed, shot Ooishi, Rika and then suicide. Seems kind important!

- But also Satoko ignoring that people can remember stuff from previous fragments, despite her enacting fragment memory leak in the first place

- Rika's dance AGAIN

Only 4 episodes left, hopefully it's even more recap.

You forget few more parts:
Keichi survived like 4-5 hits from Satoko(he's Terminator confirmed)
Satoko hit him from above, despite being way smaller than Keichi
Keichi being too blind to see the blood. I mean it's not that dark here...
Bruh, whoever wrote this deserves getting Onikakushied
Sep 2, 2021 9:28 AM

Jul 2012
Jin_uzuki said:

Did you even read the OG Higurashi? Or watched it, for that matter?
The unreliable perspective thing is there ever since Onikakushi (K1 getting injected by Mion was him thinking the pen was a needle, in the VN made more obvious by the fact they said he would be the same as Tomitake -who during the Watanagashi got "punished by getting scribbled with that pen-). That didn't happen in the anime though, making the thing a bit nonsensical, but it WAS in the OG Higu from the start, and the anime addressed it in one way or another without that foreshadowing with Tsumihoroboshi anyway. K1 could only think about his assassination and saw the needle and bonked them to death.

Unreliable Perspective was the main gimmick of Higurashi that carried on to the extreme in Umineko. Unreliable Perspective within the presentation is EVER-PRESENT in Higurashi from the start, what are you talking about? That's the whole point with the hallucination thing through HS, for starters.

In here, K1 got hit in the head, saw Teppei and and never saw Satoko before getting hit again and passing out. Therefore, his perspective of the events in Tataridamashi (he is the PoV there) never really happened from the moment he got hit here (shortly after he turned on the lights).

My problem is that they should have made it more clear or at least confirm the damn filter thing already, which fits the bill so far for this sort of unreliability in the scenes.
DanpmssSep 2, 2021 9:31 AM
Sep 2, 2021 9:33 AM
May 2021
Can anyone explain me how keichi survived after that? As in gou they showed keichi survived and rena was talking to him the day after. And rena got mad or what? That she forgot to tell him that satoko killed oishi and all? Plz explain anyone, because keichi should have been dead
Sep 2, 2021 9:38 AM

Apr 2009
Danpmss said:
Jin_uzuki said:

Loool, he doesn't know the difference between seeing weird shit from a pov because the character has brain worms and Umineko style unreliable narrative scenes out of nowhere.

Beatrice_shocked_face.jpg

Sep 2, 2021 9:48 AM

Jul 2012
Jin_uzuki said:
Danpmss said:

Loool, he doesn't know the difference between seeing weird shit from a pov because the character has brain worms and Umineko style unreliable narrative scenes out of nowhere.

That's literally what an unreliable perspective is LMAO (there's no difference, THEY ARE BOTH UNRELIABLE PERSPECTIVES, in one way or another).

Are you serious now?? What do you think an unreliable perspective actually is? Other than literally being a perspective that is unreliable to the viewer/watcher/listener?
Sep 2, 2021 10:02 AM

Apr 2009
Danpmss said:
Jin_uzuki said:

That's literally what an unreliable perspective is LMAO (there's no difference, THEY ARE BOTH UNRELIABLE PERSPECTIVES, in one way or another).

Are you serious now?? What do you think an unreliable perspective actually is? Other than literally being a perspective that is unreliable to the viewer/watcher/listener?

Lol he really can't tell the difference. Though I guess that explains a lot.

Sep 2, 2021 10:08 AM
May 2021
So that's what happen I thought there's more suspense too it on what happen with K1. Well I guess I expected alot lol..
Sep 2, 2021 10:09 AM

Jul 2011
"God entertaining" does sounds very thrilling arc name.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Sep 2, 2021 10:14 AM

Jul 2012
Jin_uzuki said:
Danpmss said:

That wasn't a rethorical question. Do tell me, what is the difference you are spotting between unreliable perspective and unreliable perspective?
DanpmssSep 2, 2021 10:20 AM
Sep 2, 2021 10:18 AM

Jul 2012
Apratim said:
Can anyone explain me how keichi survived after that? As in gou they showed keichi survived and rena was talking to him the day after. And rena got mad or what? That she forgot to tell him that satoko killed oishi and all? Plz explain anyone, because keichi should have been dead

She didn't forget it, in Tatariakashi she tells K1 that everyone died and that none of that made sense, and the credits roll before she can explain in detail to him what in the heck happened at the festival (she likely did, but we don't get to see that).

Nekodamashi starts with Ooishi's mass-shooting from Rika's perspective, which ends after she gets bonked to death by him, so we don't really see what happened after that, just that Satoko definitely came to the festival with her clothes covered in blood.

DanpmssSep 2, 2021 10:23 AM
Sep 2, 2021 11:05 AM
Feb 2021
Honestly it was really sad to see everyone's death again. And dammit I HATE you Satoko Lambda I hate you so much. At least she didn't kill Rena that would only make me sadder.
Sep 2, 2021 11:09 AM

Jul 2014
This keeps getting worse.

tfw I was glad Gou got a sequel so they didn't rush the ending but then they end up wasting 11 episodes on fucking nothing.

Also, Keiichi is fucking immortal. First Rena and now this.
Sep 2, 2021 11:15 AM

Jul 2014
Also I don't know why, but them making Feathrine looking like she's enjoying this train wreck is the biggest offender for lol.
Sep 2, 2021 11:23 AM
Sep 2016
i loved it it was full of thrill and most goriest episode of the series
Sep 2, 2021 11:35 AM

Jul 2014
How many times this season will I have to say this: this did not need an entire episode to do everything it did and to reach the point it did. The demonstration of Satoko's manipulation of Ooishi did not need to be anywhere near as long as it was, nor did his descent into the final stage of Hinamizawa Syndrome need to be shown so damn thoroughly: we were able to get the point far more quickly than this show thought was necessary. Sure, the use of multiple different unreliable narrators for the same events was kind of interesting, but again I think the point was established far more quickly than the show likes to think it was. This is also the second time in this iteration of Higurashi that I have to ask how the hell Keiichi possibly survived the wounds he received: he was hit hard by a baseball bat in the head a good five times, how the fuck did that not kill him?

Oh, and given that Satoko is aware that memories can bleed over between Fragments, why the hell would she out herself directly in Rena's presence like that? That's an entirely unnecessary risk for her to take.

Also, I think I'm going to lose it if we see Rika doing the Watanagashi ritual dance one more time: the animators really want to get their money's worth out of that sequence, don't they?

By far the worst, most pointless episode of Sotsu episode yet. Frankly, it accomplished less than nothing for how worthless and drawn out it was.
Sep 2, 2021 11:49 AM

Aug 2009
More of the same. New arc, hopefully ,next time.Well it just means we haveno more recaps so it is something.

Honestly amazed that Satoko didnt magically inject Keichi with the drug.

Danpmss said:
Jin_uzuki said:

That wasn't a rethorical question. Do tell me, what is the difference you are spotting between unreliable perspective and unreliable perspective?
Hallucinations from a certain character's pov are fine but then seeing something that Keichi couldnt have seen as his pov is completely different.

It isnt even smart "camera-pov" manipulation. We get a later scene as his own pov when he is unconscious(should have been dead but whatever).
We are following Keichi. It makes no sense to change to God or even Satoko perspective.

Sep 2, 2021 12:06 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh yeah, Satoko manipulating everyone for L5 Ooishi to get triggered because of Keichi's death that he believes to be linked to Oyashiro-sama's curse to kill Rika, damn Satoko is still as evil as before and that "chaos" scene was truly epic...
Sep 2, 2021 12:17 PM

Jun 2012
They are really milking that dance. It was cute the first time...

I don't like how they retconned Keiji's fight with Teppei. The story telling is inconsistent: we've had unreliable narrators before, but that was because we were seeing paranoid delusions from a character's POV. In this case it's just a bullshit story Satoko told Oishi. The way it played out originally was more interesting, because Teppei was still alive, and having him killed off so early just wastes his character development from this arc. Seeing Keichi retconned to be taken out so pathetically seems out of character. It's not like him to go down without a fight.

They shit on Rena's character. There is no way she would stand there and do nothing while all of her friends are getting killed one by one. It is kind of the point of her character that she is an unassuming badass and gets shit done when it counts.

Most disappointing for me was Oishi. I was looking forward to seeing his side of the story, and hearing the longest crazed "dooomooo doooomooo" ever, but in the end he was just another mad idiot gibbering about Oyashiro-sama's curse. There was no substance, depth or humor to his insanity as there has been with other characters. Seeing the witch's shit eating grin every 5 minutes is getting old.

I'm hoping for a low key ending that involves Rika stabbing Satoko with the looper killer dagger. Hopefully they will keep the purple light and magic nonsense to a minimum.
Haunt-botSep 2, 2021 12:29 PM
Shoot first, think never.
Sep 2, 2021 12:20 PM

Jan 2014
Hahahaha they just straight up lied to the viewers in Gou? That's a new low even for the bottomless pit of Sotsugou. And no, this doesn't work at all as an "unreliable narrator" trope and you have zero understanding of the trope if you think that's what Sotsugou did. The arc in Gou was told through a 3rd person objective point of view and you can maybe argue that it's told through Keiichi's POV. At no point in the arc would Keiichi falsely perceive that he had a 1v1 fight with Teppei and he didn't even remember anything after waking up in the hospital so the K1 vs Teppei fight scene couldn't be a false narrative from Keiichi's. It couldn't be a false narrative from Rika neither because she is a clueless braindead idiot who actually thought that the whole loop problem would resolved from the CPS thing and have no idea what happened. The only way this could be a case of "Unreliable Narrator" is if Tataridamashi-hen was told through Ooishi and that's just not true. You can't just call a show lying to you as "Unreliable Narrator" if there is no narrator that would misinterpret the presented falsehood.

More of Rika losing the rest of her single digit brain cells and somehow thinking that all the loop will end after protesting at the CPS. More of wish.com Featherine somehow being the most annoying character despite only having the same one line for half the season. More of the show desperately convincing you that Satoko is an intimidating and calculating villain by having her be the second dumbest human on the planet after Rika. Can't wait for the next arc to finally have new content and how Ryukishi will troll Higurashi fans by proving how wrong his fanbase is for thinking that the alien arc is the lowest bottom of the series.
Sep 2, 2021 12:29 PM

Jul 2014
ssjokg said:
More of the same. New arc, hopefully ,next time.Well it just means we haveno more recaps so it is something.

Honestly amazed that Satoko didnt magically inject Keichi with the drug.

Danpmss said:

Hallucinations from a certain character's pov are fine but then seeing something that Keichi couldnt have seen as his pov is completely different.

It isnt even smart "camera-pov" manipulation. We get a later scene as his own pov when he is unconscious(should have been dead but whatever).
We are following Keichi. It makes no sense to change to God or even Satoko perspective.

I wouldn't have been annoying if Rena's scene at least was a Hallucinations and I would have just accepted this somehow. But the show nitpick which absurd scene is Hallucination and which is not.

That being said, if Keiichi was so one-sidedly beaten by a bat, where did that back and forth come from? There is a difference between altering events from a character's point of view and just making shit up. There is no way that the whole exchange took place if Keiichi didn't even see how beated him.

Also, how on earth is Keiichi surviving these wounds? This is the second time he did it.
Devil_SlayerSep 2, 2021 12:33 PM
Sep 2, 2021 12:32 PM
Apr 2021
Danpmss said:
Jin_uzuki said:

The difference between
1. The character from whose POV we're seeing the story, getting paranoid thus affecting what he\she seeing, thus leading to us seeing not what real, but what that character sees because of syndrome

and

2. We were shown not what happened, because of... what again?
What we were shown(from third person perspective, mind you):
Keichi got hit by bat, then sees Teppei and got kicked by him, along with the table, then his eyeballs lifts, then he beat Teppei to death and falls near him. And Satoko in blood run away while screaming
What happened:
Satoko hit Keichi(lmao, because she's shorter than him, and there's no way she could hit him from above) few times, he falls down, she calls Oishi

And don't even get me started at "How does Keichi survives? Why Rena just stays and did NOTHING? Why the fuck did Rena forgot that Satoko: confessed, shot Oishi then herself and never told about it to Keichi?" questions

So those 2 different reasons are completely the same to you? No wonder you like this shit and defend both over the top stupid plot and whole this shitfest lmao
Sep 2, 2021 12:35 PM

May 2020
It feels like a downward spiral. It's always been 'maybe the next arc ís good' , 'maybe the next ep is good'.

Well... I dunno what to say. At least they are getting their money's worth with Rika's dance.

The real disappointment here will be if they waste our time here with repeats of old and easily inferable stuff and decide to do a third season or movie.
Sep 2, 2021 12:36 PM

Aug 2009
Devil_Slayer said:

Also, how on earth is Keiichi surviving these wounds? This is the second time he did it.
inb4 Hanyuu is the reason.And K1 is a looper with sealed memories.
Sep 2, 2021 12:42 PM

Jul 2014
ssjokg said:
Devil_Slayer said:

inb4 Hanyuu is the reason.And K1 is a looper with sealed memories.

Bold of you to assume they would even attempt to explain it.
Sep 2, 2021 12:46 PM

Nov 2019
This felt like a silly cartoon not meant for children. I am still waiting for a dose to get my L5 and appreciate this.
They freaking did Rika's dance, AGAIN. I am sooo waiting for the memes.
Eua, you wondering what Hanyuu is praying for?
She's praying for this story to end, for good
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Sep 2, 2021 1:33 PM
May 2021
Devil_Slayer said:
Also I don't know why, but them making Feathrine looking like she's enjoying this train wreck is the biggest offender for lol.

How do we know that Eua looking like Featherine wasn't a red herring all along. It's possible the connection Takano and Satoko is that Eua was Lambda all along. I mean, why not? Just because Lambda SUPPOSEDLY didn't know how Higurashi ended? Please, R07 can make any lies into truths and any truths into lies at this point just to force whatever he wants out if this story.

Idk I can't take the meta of this universe seriously at all. What if Lambda was in fact just dreaming Bern and all of Umineko, then all of Ciconia was a dream, then Eua was a dream, then it was all a video game, then it was all another universe, then it was all taking place on a tiny Snowflake in Whoville! WOW WHAT A TWEEST!
Sep 2, 2021 1:42 PM
May 2021
LemonBaskets said:
wow this... just keeps getting worse? how is it possible LOL

rena saw EVERYTHING and conveniently forgot to tell keiichi about satoko? how is he even alive after that? is ryukishi really involved in this?
i can't wait until it ends so i can pretend gou-sotsu never existed.

Technically, Rena didn't even finish explaining what happened in GOU. All she said was that everyone died, and that it didn't make sense. Then she started crying from the trauma of remembering it all. She probably did tell Keichii what happened off screen (wouldn't make sense to show us that in GOU before Satoko being the villain was revealed) and it could have an effect later on considering the whole remembering past fragments thing
Sep 2, 2021 2:23 PM

Oct 2014
This isn't even stupid anymore.. this is transcending into retardation.

Seriously.. the opening scene with all the blood... how much effort they are putting on this to make it look so awful? I'm honestly flabbergasted.

Rika doing that dance AGAIN, EUA shooting her single line & laugh AGAIN... Oh my god.

K1 is Immortal? Whole fight scene was lied to the viewers?
Man what are the writers doing? If this was an "unreliable narrator"-thing I wonder who the F they think is the Narrator.

I just... wtf?
If this was my first WTC story I'd likely never touch real Higurashi / Umineko with a 9 feet pole.

I seriously want some Red from R07 telling us that he really likes how this is going.

SkyhighCFC said:
Technically, Rena didn't even finish explaining what happened in GOU. All she said was that everyone died, and that it didn't make sense. Then she started crying from the trauma of remembering it all. She probably did tell Keichii what happened off screen (wouldn't make sense to show us that in GOU before Satoko being the villain was revealed) and it could have an effect later on considering the whole remembering past fragments thing
You really shouldn't do that...
"Rena didn't conveniently forget to mention this, we just didn't show it"
Having development/explanation only to not show it is so fucking cheap writing it's bordering lying to the audience.

What comes to the scene itself, just think of it, wouldn't it have been so much more better to have delirious Rena explain how everyone were dying, there was Ooishi, shooting, and Satoko killed Ooishi.
Sure it would have given us a "hint" that Satoko is the involved, but in a storytelling point of view, that would have been a lot more interesting/enjoyable development.
If the mysteries within this show hadn't been so obvious since the beginning, perhaps it would have confused/make the viewers wonder what they were hearing.
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Sep 2, 2021 2:36 PM

Nov 2017
Danpmss said:
Jin_uzuki said:

The unreliable perspective thing is there ever since Onikakushi (K1 getting injected by Mion was him thinking the pen was a needle, in the VN made more obvious by the fact they said he would be the same as Tomitake -who during the Watanagashi got "punished by getting scribbled with that pen-). That didn't happen in the anime though, making the thing a bit nonsensical, but it WAS in the OG Higu from the start, and the anime addressed it in one way or another without that foreshadowing with Tsumihoroboshi anyway. K1 could only think about his assassination and saw the needle and bonked them to death.

The difference between this and OG higurashi is that in for example onikakushi we follow everything from Keiichi's perspective. Keiichi gets paranoid from the virus and sees the pen as a needle, because we're viewing (or rather reading) from his perspective we see the same thing that he saw. Here however there's no reason, other than that Satoko just said that's what happened so that's what we were shown, which doesn't fit in with Higurashi at all.
We were following Keiichi's perspective in this arc in Gou right? In that case we should see things from his perspective. Instead it apparently just follows his perspective until he enters the room and then it switches to what Satoko told Oishi afterwards, who is like no-one's perspective except for what Oishi thinks happened. The only way it could have worked/been shown is if they cut from when Keiichi enters the room and later show what "happened" from an explanation made by Oishi.
Sep 2, 2021 2:37 PM
Nov 2014
Now, the first thing I want to know in the next arc is how Rika guessed the other looper's existence and its identity.

To be fair, we haven't seen Satoko using traps lately, which is very uncharacteristic of her. Failing to detect traps and falling for them (the box in episode 1 of Gou, then the real trap hidden in a fake trap in episode 17) even more. Her skills have clearly declined since she started using a gun as her weapon of choice instead of her traps.

That and Satoko talking to her about Oyashiro-sama (actually herself) when she wasn't even a religious person before that and didn't give much attention to folklore.
Games_WandererSep 2, 2021 2:49 PM
Sep 2, 2021 3:20 PM

Jun 2017
Laplace_kun said:
This felt like a silly cartoon not meant for children. I am still waiting for a dose to get my L5 and appreciate this.

LMAO spot on! Now that we are through the 11 eps of needless "answer" fillers we can finally get the real Sotsu in the last 4 eps and pick up from where Satoko got her ass busted by Rika. (unless we will get thrown into another random loop...................)
Sep 2, 2021 3:59 PM
May 2021
Hulio said:

I just... wtf?
If this was my first WTC story I'd likely never touch real Higurashi / Umineko with a 9 feet pole.

Great way to put it. Not liking this franchise from the start is the best way out of it, by never joining.

MomoSinX said:
Laplace_kun said:

LMAO spot on! Now that we are through the 11 eps of needless "answer" fillers we can finally get the real Sotsu in the last 4 eps and pick up from where Satoko got her ass busted by Rika. (unless we will get thrown into another random loop...................)

I would say "in b4 Satoko planned to get caught in order to fuck with Rika even more" but that would be giving 1000% more credit to the writing than is earned so far.
Sep 2, 2021 4:26 PM
Oct 2020
How many times did we see dancing Rika can someone tell me? Cause I'm pretty sure they showed it in every arc.

Must be fun being Eua watching everything in order with no rehash cause there is a lot of it.

So Hanyu is not eua?

Keiichi did not enter Satoko's house in the manga so how did Oishi go L5? Satoko was with everyone the whole time there. Manga going different direction? I hope they do it better than this.
Sep 2, 2021 4:37 PM
Jun 2020
SO we finally caught up. All the episodes up to this point felt like a rerun.
t2t2Sep 2, 2021 4:58 PM
Sep 2, 2021 4:37 PM

Oct 2014
daniboi1 said:
Keiichi did not enter Satoko's house in the manga so how did Oishi go L5? Satoko was with everyone the whole time there. Manga going different direction? I hope they do it better than this.
They've been going different directions since the beginning, and the Manga was already better from the start.
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Sep 2, 2021 4:42 PM

Jul 2012
ssjokg said:

Si1verR0se said:

The difference between
1. The character from whose POV we're seeing the story, getting paranoid thus affecting what he\she seeing, thus leading to us seeing not what real, but what that character sees because of syndrome

and

2. We were shown not what happened, because of... what again?
What we were shown(from third person perspective, mind you):
Keichi got hit by bat, then sees Teppei and got kicked by him, along with the table, then his eyeballs lifts, then he beat Teppei to death and falls near him. And Satoko in blood run away while screaming
What happened:
Satoko hit Keichi(lmao, because she's shorter than him, and there's no way she could hit him from above) few times, he falls down, she calls Oishi

And don't even get me started at "How does Keichi survives? Why Rena just stays and did NOTHING? Why the fuck did Rena forgot that Satoko: confessed, shot Oishi then herself and never told about it to Keichi?" questions

So those 2 different reasons are completely the same to you? No wonder you like this shit and defend both over the top stupid plot and whole this shitfest lmao

Lexicoo said:

The difference between this and OG higurashi is that in for example onikakushi we follow everything from Keiichi's perspective. Keiichi gets paranoid from the virus and sees the pen as a needle, because we're viewing (or rather reading) from his perspective we see the same thing that he saw. Here however there's no reason, other than that Satoko just said that's what happened so that's what we were shown, which doesn't fit in with Higurashi at all.
We were following Keiichi's perspective in this arc in Gou right? In that case we should see things from his perspective. Instead it apparently just follows his perspective until he enters the room and then it switches to what Satoko told Oishi afterwards, who is like no-one's perspective except for what Oishi thinks happened. The only way it could have worked/been shown is if they cut from when Keiichi enters the room and later show what "happened" from an explanation made by Oishi.

That doesn't mean IT ISN'T UNRELIABLE PERSPECTIVE. Which is the point I'm trying to make.

He is claiming this is:
1- Umineko style unreliable narrator scenes, despite this never happening before in all of SotsuGou or even the original Higurashi.

Which is bullshit, this is the same unreliable narration we always got from Higurashi since forever, and Umineko's is derivative from it up to eleven in terms of fariplay (only the detective perspective is everso reliable, while Higurashi's only Rika's truly is with few exceptions, since the entire village is infected by default and can trigger the virus in a particular stressful situation, Mion being the sole exception because of how she was grown by the Sonozaki's as the heir, a person with much bigger mental resistance).

2- "he doesn't know the difference between seeing weird shit from a pov because the character has brain worms and Umineko style unreliable narrative scenes out of nowhere."

He is saying that unreliable perspective isn't.... unreliable perspective, which is really stupid. It doesn't matter the means. An established unreliable perspective IS an unreliable perspective. It doesn't matter if it is because of alien worms or people going schizo mode claiming that witches exist and the narration showing as follow, as long as it isn't in the only reliable perspective (and as long as said reliable perspective is not unreliable for a given reason (very drunk, as in EP2's finale)).

In short:
Higurashi uses unreliable perspective in a way, STILL IS Unreliable Perspective.
Umineko uses unreliable perspective in another way, STILL IS Unreliable Perspective.

There isn't a difference, they are both unreliable perspectives. You guys are missing the point I'm asking for him to provide in his defense, which he can't really nor any of you (and thus the argument became something else entirely).

That out of the way, Higurashi ALWAYS has used unreliable perspectives (take a shot for every time I said that word). Ever since chapter 1, which was all about that. the core gimmick was that "someone reading it in plain text without the imagery and sounds would see an almost entirely rather normal tale with an overly paranoid protagonist", in Ryukishi's own words.

Saying that it was never there and that it came out of Umineko is ridiculous lol
That's the exact sort of unreliable narrative ever-present in Higurashi. And since I have to hammer this point so much that I'm repeating myself already:

Do consider that ANY sort of radical event that may mess with an infected person's mental stability can trigger an L5 state in them, hallucinations and everything included.

And do also consider that EVERY SINGLE PERSON in Hinamizawa including the ones vaccinated for the virus in that given period of time (vaccination which would only relief the risks of triggering the virus, according to Irie in Minagoroshi, when speaking about Tomitake not being vaccinated, in chapter 22), is BY DEFAULT INFECTED, everyone in Hinamizawa, except Mion, are prompted to trigger HS to L5 levels if subjected to enough mental distress.

This whole text is specifically refering to the Hinamizawa Syndrome, since nobody bothers to actually revisit previous stuff and rather just dismiss everything as bullshit, I'll quote (also from Minagoroshi chapter 26):

There are three categories of externally caused mental diseases:

traumatically induced, substance abuse induced, and chemical imbalance induced.

Traumatically induced disorders are cases resulting from damage to the brain from trauma or infection that influences the mind.
This is the reason personalities can change as a result of head injuries.

Substance abuse, as the name suggests, refers to cases where drugs, especially alcohol or stimulants, have influenced the mind.

The last category is chemical imbalances.
These are cases where some ailment in the patient's body causes abnormal secretions of bodily chemicals which then influence the brain's functions.

In here we have:

1- K1 is in shock with all the blood he sees once he turn on the lights, and rapidly after is immediately hit from behind by a baseball bat in the head with full force, blood everywhere, head trauma likely guaranteed hue

2- K1 secreting in abundance many bodily chemicals through his blood and sweat, paired with a lot of pain and distress, could make him, much like the soldiers from Hinamizawa during the war to which the aforementioned quote is talking about, go L5 very quickly. with or without the syringe (which, might I add AND remind you, only serves to accelerate the process of an infected individual immediately to higher levels).

Therefore, it makes perfect sense that, in Higurashi's own rules, he can become an unreliable perspective at the very moment he suffers an assault and head trauma, and begins to hallucinate after seeing Teppei's body (which he definitely imagines as alive and attacking him, as shown in Tataridamashi). He never even bat (pun intended) an eye to Satoko at all, who is the one assaulting him, he is quite in shock and derranged at that point and thinks it's Teppei. The rest of the scene is all in his immagination, the blood was all already there.

Want a foreshadowing since people are also saying this wasn't hinted at all?

Go back to Tataridamashi 5. You will see that there's blood in the entire scene, and K1 hitting "Teppei" only adds more fresh blood already in the scene (particularly, the telephone has no blood in it until K1 is out of the perspective seemingly adding more blood from "Teppei" to an already bloodied phone that wasn't like that just a second before, not that it matters even then, since the blood is being added on top of what was already there), blood which, according to this episode, was K1's own while Satoko was bonking him hard, and not Teppei's.

And to further prove that point, back in Tataridamashi, the grainy filter starts IMMEDIATELY AFTER he turn the lights on and gets hit from behind, and not in front of him where Teppei apparently was in that scene (which in this episode instead is more straightforward and shows that he didn't fall towards the table nor lost as much blood from Satoko's first bonk).

That grainy filter on top of the animation only shows up in Newgurashi whenever we are seeing someone in an unreliable HS perspective. And only then. Check out every single other episode, this is very consistent.

Anyway, those are minor details that get noticeable rather quickly if you actually try and compare the both eps in a revisit, which nobody will, so I'll do it in your behalf (Gou EP 13, start from around 19min 15 sec).

Which brings me again to my problem with it.
They didn't address this stuff explicitly, they assume viewers will connect the dots comparing the two and remembering Tsumihoroboshi from the OG series which was all about explaining those unreliable perspectives vs reality.

It assumes people already can do that on their own, and they clearly can't, unless they actually familiarized with the story and settings, and are expecting for it to be the case lol

And that's my problem, since it conflicts with what it's trying to present itself as (a standalone product) without revisiting that one plot point from an answer arc in this.

As a sequel to the VN? Not a single problem I can mention. It's more than aware of VN stuff to the point of using actively and talking about things never even mentioned in the OG anime, like the Onigari-no-Ryuuou, or the kakera's interactive nature as retroactive (implied by people keeping memories after so many loops, explicitly used with Himatsubushi Akasaka transferring his knowledge to his Matsuribayashi counterpart to help out and kick some ass), explicitly talked about by Eua, and expanded upon reqarding her own looping powers (which make the retroactiveness from previous kakeras to carry over a loop much quicker).

As a sequel and a complement to the OG anime? Not a problem for the most part, and Higurashi anime fans SHOULD have that in mind, unless they watched the anime alone 14 years ago once and never touched it since. But as a sequel also standing on its own.

As a standalone? Without that plot being properly addressed, and not implicitly presented like they are doing in here (like, c'mon, it came to the point people can only call it a theory even though this episode clearly showns a starking contrast in reliable PoVs). It's just not as well executed as it could be if they actually did that.
DanpmssSep 2, 2021 5:34 PM
Sep 2, 2021 4:58 PM

Jul 2012
Si1verR0se said:

You are using a stupid ass argument to try to prove a completely unrelated point (the second reason, not that the first reason proved a thing either, and I already said everything I had to in the previous comment), and thus I'll address it in separate, since it has nothing to do with the argument regarding whether this is or not an unreliable perspective thing.

I know it may be surprising to you, but, gasp, RENA PROBABLY TOLD K1 EVERYTHING RIGHT AFTER!!! OOOOOHHH!! Thus meaning we cut to credits just after she said it didn't make any sense and that everybody was dead.

Which is true, it didn't make sense for Ooishi to kill all her friends in front of her with a bat and a gun, for Satoko all bloodied, shoot him down, shoot Rika to make sure she is dead, and then shoot herself in the head, it truly makes no sense in her perspective. But she breaks down before we can hear the full story she likely told K1 right after. Why would they show the entirety of the conversation and reveal Satoko had a gun and was shooting people lol

It's not like every single loop in WTC ever shown much of an aftermatch, and when they do, they are always selective with each information, it's nothing new, that's just how Higurashi goes.

As for K1 surviving, he took 3 bonks from an 11 years old with a metal bat in here, and loses CONSIDERABLY less blood than he does in Tataridamashi, and this was the reliable perspective. I can totally see him being comatose for a bit and surviving the assault in this episode. As for Onidamashi, probably made a lot more sense in the script before the storyboard thrown in extra ketchup for literally the lols (canon explanation is that it has a stupid amount of blood because the staff thought it would be more fun like that, and everyone agreed). I can see him surviving in the onidamashi manga without all the blood. I can see him surviving if the head trauma in here didn't take as much blood.

If only they explicitly confirmed the Onidamashi/akashi filter to be JUST AS exaggerated as Tataridamashi was, I would say he probably lost much less blood in the scene and suffered much less fatal wounds, much like in here.
DanpmssSep 2, 2021 5:18 PM
Sep 2, 2021 5:04 PM
May 2021
Hulio said:
This isn't even stupid anymore.. this is transcending into retardation.

Seriously.. the opening scene with all the blood... how much effort they are putting on this to make it look so awful? I'm honestly flabbergasted.

Rika doing that dance AGAIN, EUA shooting her single line & laugh AGAIN... Oh my god.

K1 is Immortal? Whole fight scene was lied to the viewers?
Man what are the writers doing? If this was an "unreliable narrator"-thing I wonder who the F they think is the Narrator.

I just... wtf?

I seriously want some Red from R07 telling us that he really likes how this is going.

SkyhighCFC said:
Having development/explanation only to not show it is so fucking cheap writing it's bordering lying to the audience.

What comes to the scene itself, just think of it, wouldn't it have been so much more better to have delirious Rena explain how everyone were dying, there was Ooishi, shooting, and Satoko killed Ooishi.
Sure it would have given us a "hint" that Satoko is the involved, but in a storytelling point of view, that would have been a lot more interesting/enjoyable development.
If the mysteries within this show hadn't been so obvious since the beginning, perhaps it would have confused/make the viewers wonder what they were hearing.

I see your point, and it's also clear that you're not enjoying SOTSU...which is completely fine. We're all entitled to our own opinions after all. I myself enjoy it, because I'm not actually taking the story THAT seriously anymore. The whole wanting to trap Rika in Hinamizawa just because she doesn't like to study was just funny to me so I decided to not take it that deep and just enjoy it for what it is.

Anyways...the reason I think they decided to not have Rena say that Satoko killed Oishii in GOU is that it would have made her being the culprit extremely obvious, even to those new to the Higurashi story. Her actions in the previous 2 arcs were already very suspicious, which is why I think they went for this arc as the 3rd to take some of that suspicion away from Satoko. Granted, some people were still able to piece together that she was the culprit from this arc regardless, so...
Sep 2, 2021 5:06 PM
May 2021
LemonBaskets said:
Hulio said:

my thoughts exactly.

even if it is true, there's still so many issues, like the whole keiichi and teppei fight, which didn't actually happen and it was satoko all along. after ep 10 i tried to make some sense out of it, i thought maybe keiichi naturally went L5 somehow and imagined all of the fight, but here everything plays out way too differently to say he was hallucinating.
i don't remember an unreliable narrator case ever happening in the og higurashi, it just feels like bad writing to me.

The first arc in the original Higurashi is literally an unreliable narrator in Keiichi. What are you talking about chief?
Sep 2, 2021 5:11 PM

Jul 2012
SkyhighCFC said:
LemonBaskets said:

my thoughts exactly.

even if it is true, there's still so many issues, like the whole keiichi and teppei fight, which didn't actually happen and it was satoko all along. after ep 10 i tried to make some sense out of it, i thought maybe keiichi naturally went L5 somehow and imagined all of the fight, but here everything plays out way too differently to say he was hallucinating.
i don't remember an unreliable narrator case ever happening in the og higurashi, it just feels like bad writing to me.

The first arc in the original Higurashi is literally an unreliable narrator in Keiichi. What are you talking about chief?

Don't bother, anime onlies likely didn't even notice much of how unreliable Higurashi is from the start with PoVs (even though I'm sure Tsumihoroboshi touched on that). And if they are VN readers, shame on them.

I could literally screenshot stuff from the OG anime and they wouldn't believe it. Even because a pen being a syringe in a certain perspective toooootally doesn't make it an unreliable perspective, right guys? And that's from the very start. (Source is Higurashi ep 24, 14min 47 sec, if that's the one way I have to objectively prove a point).

It's useless to insist, they don't care for the plot, nor for consistency, they WANT to call it bad writing and that's it.
DanpmssSep 2, 2021 5:28 PM
Sep 2, 2021 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
Keiichi being killed by Satoko is he doesn't suspect anything when Satoko called Keiichi I thought he did something against Satako but he didn't do anything, it was an episode with a lot of blood and a lot of violence although this is very common on the Show.
Sep 2, 2021 5:18 PM

Mar 2012
Fantastic episode, as usual
Sep 2, 2021 5:27 PM

Feb 2017
Well that was sure 11 episodes of pointless recap interspersed with about 5 minutes of new ‘Satoko’ developments.

How many minutes of my life have I spent watching Rika dancing now? I’ve seen some shameless cashgrabs, but this is absurd.

4 episodes left to do anything Sotsu, please for the love of god don’t be more pointless content to setup for a third season, I’m begging you.
Sep 2, 2021 5:49 PM

Jul 2012
Mistrals_ said:
Well that was sure 11 episodes of pointless recap interspersed with about 5 minutes of new ‘Satoko’ developments.

How many minutes of my life have I spent watching Rika dancing now? I’ve seen some shameless cashgrabs, but this is absurd.

4 episodes left to do anything Sotsu, please for the love of god don’t be more pointless content to setup for a third season, I’m begging you.

Approximately 4 minutes and 9 seconds of your life were well spent in Rika's Dance. since Gou up til the latest Sotsu ep. Wow, what a cashgrab, it sure means a lot to the overall runtime of 39 episodes...

Try Gundam, GurrenLaggan and Sailor Moon reusing animation for transformations (sometimes up to a minute) for at least 20 or so minutes of the total runtime in certain shows (and yeah, people calculated those).
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2021

412 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 4:37 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2021

395 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 4:12 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2021

215 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 4:03 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2021

159 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

121 by Drinzen »»
Feb 22, 3:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.