Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 28, 2021 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
How picky are you about how uniform and perfect your manga collection must be?

Recently I bought the entire Azumanga Daioh manga series but due to being half asleep and a little dumb, I accidentally bought Volume 2 in Japanese and not English. At first it bothered me but I don't care anymore since it isn't worth buying it again due to me studying Japanese anyway.

How much does stuff like this bother you?
Aug 28, 2021 12:06 PM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I'd prefer a straight English translated physical copy in it's prime condition. It's got to look good on my self until it's finished and then I'll propably sell it.
I did however have a German volume of OPM, amazon was nice enought to give money back just because I myself accidentally ordered the wrong one.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Aug 28, 2021 12:08 PM

Oct 2013
I try not to be too picky about it because at the end of the day having it in some form is better than not having it at all. I've been disappointed before by buying used manga which end up being former library books with severe yellowing and stickers that left a residue after removing them, but for me it's not worth the effort to return it and hunt down a better quality version because I end up not caring much either way when it's on the shelf.

As for switching up volumes, I haven't had that happen yet but if I'm not able to complete my Umineko set without sacrificing a limb or two I may have to settle for the Japanese volumes--assuming I can keep a consistent Japanese study routine.

"The kindest person in the room is often the smartest."
Sep 1, 2021 9:02 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I prefer to collect my physical copies of manga in English, can't read Japanese too well yet.
Half of my collection were pre-owned, so I don't care too much if it's shiny new or not, just as long as I can read it.
Sep 1, 2021 9:03 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
I think that the stuff that happened to you would bother me really much at first, but once its out of my mind i will probably never ever think about it again.
But i like it completed and in order, it "must" not be clean, but i really prefer it.

smoochie smoochie

Sep 2, 2021 2:42 AM

Feb 2021
i only own manga in italian because all the english copies of manga i'm looking for have alredy been sold, i like more reading in english so i'd rather have the verison translated in english but it doesn't really bother me, beside i only own the first volume of jojo part 7 nad the third of kuroko no basket because it was gift, it might start bugging me more when i finish collecting jojo and start collecting houseki no kuni since tìit contains some word that in itlian i can't stand like quck which translate to ciarlatano and for some reason hurt to hear in my native language
Sep 9, 2021 8:59 AM
Sep 2020
I am extremely picky. I need to know how the translations are, like how they will interpret the works. I like to wrap my mangas up and put it in a not so humid place!
Sep 9, 2021 9:23 AM

Nov 2011
not very picky when it comes to having the complete series (novels and such are a different story though), but very picky when it comes to language. not that i would make such a mistake - i always buy from amazon japan anyways.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 10, 2021 1:56 PM
Jul 2018
I just want them in good looking condition and not missing pages (and preferably not having weird impression error, although that only happened once in a french edition of one of Negima tankoubon). I buy brand new 99% of the time (the rest are way older series or sometime an out of print one. I need to find a japanese copy of Meikyuu Black Company vol 3 because amazon doesn't say it out of stock/print or if they will get stock back like usual ._.)
Sep 10, 2021 2:01 PM

Nov 2011
SebOuiKin said:
I just want them in good looking condition and not missing pages (and preferably not having weird impression error, although that only happened once in a french edition of one of Negima tankoubon). I buy brand new 99% of the time (the rest are way older series or sometime an out of print one. I need to find a japanese copy of Meikyuu Black Company vol 3 because amazon doesn't say it out of stock/print or if they will get stock back like usual ._.)

there's one on cd japan
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2249971?s_ssid=e419e2613bc7382f48

it is the last copy they have in stock
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

Sep 11, 2021 12:45 AM

Apr 2015
I get irritated with my missing/duplicate volumes, but I've managed to tuck most of them away. Chainsaw Man volume 4 is finally back in stock, so there's a gap I can fill. My biggest problem is having only volume 1-2 of several series and then never buying anymore bc of my "ooh shiny new manga" mentality.

The only manga I have in Japanese is a copy of Monthly Shōnen Ace a friend gave to me, as well as the bilingual/English learning edition of Chihayafuru volume 1.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 11, 2021 12:51 AM

Apr 2021
I like my mangas clean but it doenst bother me if it isnt cause some (like my doraemon and conan collection) are just really old and might have some rips and dust... but u cant blame it,, i mean i reread alot too no matter how many volumes before i used to bring some mangas when going out so yea idk
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
Sep 11, 2021 7:26 AM

Nov 2011
ah, forgot to mention. i'm not very picky in having the complete set for manga, but i'm a bit paranoid when it comes to protecting the books from yellowing. i store them in bags and away from sunlight to minimize the risk as much as possible. unfortunately, some of my older manga already have yellowing, in large part because i didn't know nor care about yellowing when i was a kid.

Sep 11, 2021 1:50 PM

Sep 2020
I prefer to have physical manga of my favorite series and new/non dinged up volumes are preferred, but one problem I find is at least in the US we don't get endless reprints of series and a lot of good stories end up going out-of-print and disappear off shelves.
Sep 11, 2021 3:13 PM

Sep 2016
I definitely need my manga to be in prime (basically just new) condition and I have actually ordered some AoT volumes a few days back and volume 19 had little crinkles on the cover. Sent an e-mail to the publisher and got a better condition volume now.

I really like my manga to look as good as it can be and it usually really bugs me when they are damaged (depends on the damage tho but I'm generally rather picky). I've also never bought used manga as of yet and I don't really plan on doing so.
Sep 12, 2021 5:37 AM
Jul 2018
DreamingBeats said:

there's one on cd japan
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2249971?s_ssid=e419e2613bc7382f48

it is the last copy they have in stock

Thanks but I already managed to find one xD I always forget to check CDJapan lol
Sep 12, 2021 9:47 AM
Jul 2021
Needs to have at least one bookmark in
If lucky, maybe a shining bookmark or a postcard.
Sep 12, 2021 12:35 PM

Jun 2015
I collect manga only in Spanish but I plan to buy something in English.
If you want to learn Japanese, it's a good opportunity to read a manga that you like, although I would recommend a shonen because they have less kanji, which is ideal to start learning.
But the most common case is that you end up selling those Manga, you must be very sure about it.
Sep 14, 2021 6:31 PM

Oct 2020
I like having the entire collection that's available but most of the times I just buy the volumes I'll be reading. For example, I have the volumes 4-16 from Boarding School Juliet and probably won't buy the rest bc it's money wasted for volumes I won't be reading since they were animated. Same goes for Ao Haru Ride (got 5-13). Also, when I'm reading manga that is publishing, if I want to catch up, I'll have to read them online and then it's not worth buying the volumes I already read (got Dress-Up Darling 1-4 and the following volumes are not for sale yet and I'm caught up).

Sep 21, 2021 7:31 AM

Oct 2017
I only just recently started collecting physical manga and while I don't care about language (I either buy english or spanish), i'd rather have them all from the same publisher. For example, my sister has Vol 1 from Hanako-kun in english and Vol 2 in spanish and the sizes, printing, pages, etc. everything is different, and it looks pretty weird on the shelf. Like it really stands out, y'know? But i guess its just a pet peeve in the end

More topics from this board

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
37 minutes ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
47 minutes ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1056 by Francis_0 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.