Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 17, 2021 10:28 AM

Sep 2018
The title is pretty self-explanatory, but I've seen so many people using Shinji's personality traits not only to drag Shinji, but even other characters...

Are people really that obsessed with supposedly "gigachads" characters or lame Mary Sues?

Is it that hard to accept that the personality of a character means little to nothing compared to how the writer deals with said character?
A character could have the best personality of all time, but if its writer doesn't know how to properly use its character, then said character may as well be absolute garbage.
A character could have the worst personality of all time, but if the writer knows how to properly use its character, then said character could be absolutely great.

What do you all think?
Aug 17, 2021 10:33 AM

Jan 2009
its hard for people to self-insert themselves on a bitch and wimp character i guess

like people love Eren Yeager now because he is chad and not a crybaby anymore
Aug 17, 2021 10:38 AM

Sep 2018
deg said:
its hard for people to self-insert themselves on a bitch and wimp character i guess

I see... I guess all those people are gigachads who lack any kind of weakness. Good for them.
Aug 17, 2021 10:40 AM

Feb 2020
in the newest Evangelion movie we can see that Shinjis balls are so hard they can destroy a Nokia phone.

also.

Aug 17, 2021 10:45 AM

Nov 2007
I recently started watching Juuni Kokuki and I really couldn't believe how much people were deriding the MC in comments on the episodes. She is a literal 16 year old girl, who was until recently just a timid student and class rep. She's not the fucking Terminator. Now she's possessed by a spirit who's forcing her to slay doggie and monkey demons before they kill her. Of course she's not ready to handle that shit.

I really wonder if it's like, people don't WANT the characters to be realistic (very weird imo), or they just don't know what real people are like at all (very sad imo)? Or maybe what they really lack is self awareness? I wanna see these mfers face off with a monkey demon and see if they don't poop their pants. The people who hate Shinji are probably the people who are the most like him and just aren't ready to face their own anxieties and shortcomings.

In any case it's clear that people just look for characters who have no self doubt or just fleeting, superficial self doubt. People bitch all the time about how characters don't develop enough but they want the characters to be totally complete, powerful and desirable from episode 1. So what growth or change is going to happen?
Aug 17, 2021 10:52 AM

Mar 2020
If anything Japan likes whinny mcs who are total pushovers or total retard mcs fore most part regardless of how op they are

Gigachad and most JP Anime mcs doesn't fit well in same sentence
Aug 17, 2021 10:53 AM

Sep 2008
it's because they see shinji as a whiny bitch instead of looking deeper. he's an underdog.
his life sucks, his family sucks, his friends suck, piloting eva causes physical pain and mental exhaustion.
he's never rewarded, or thanked for but he still does his job because he has a goal. he wants to be acknowledged and loved. somehow the message is lost on the average watcher.

edit: it's spelled out bluntly by yui. Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right
nyugvo6Aug 17, 2021 10:56 AM
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Aug 17, 2021 10:54 AM

Mar 2020
animu007 said:
in the newest Evangelion movie we can see that Shinjis balls are so hard they can destroy a Nokia phone.

also.

what did he do? put things under spoiler if you dont mind
Aug 17, 2021 10:56 AM
Jul 2018
I honestly don't know much about Shinji. But based on what I can gather from the comments, he's not a very assertive character. I have nothing against "gigachad" characters. But if their only appeal is being the macho guy that has everything work in their favor because their cool, then they're not a very interesting character in my opinion. Often times these "weak" characters get the best development and sometimes can become the equivalent of a gigachad. So it's their loss.
Aug 17, 2021 10:57 AM

Jan 2009

this is very accurate of what happens on both endings
Aug 17, 2021 11:01 AM

Oct 2018
Funniest thing is that people hate Shinji because he's a coward crybaby, but that's kinda the point...
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Aug 17, 2021 11:01 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Ask anno why do he like to ruin a show n characters development itself ?

Aug 17, 2021 11:02 AM

Mar 2020
I can see two type of people in this thread

1. Shinji haters who will bash shinji again with unneeded hate

2. Shinji fanboys who will act like not any other mcs have it rough becuase guys like Guts or Alucard or Thorfinn have wonder full days all along thought out their life
Aug 17, 2021 11:05 AM

Jul 2021
Uh no one actually thinks like that, you're just overthinking it. What's with MAL users and making problems out of nothing?
Aug 17, 2021 11:07 AM

Mar 2020
Lepru said:
deg said:

I see... I guess all those people are gigachads who lack any kind of weakness. Good for them.

I think most people like whinny dudes who later turn gigachads with proper development basically zero to hero type of story

Mal users on average equally hate - full time whinny weak mcs or One Dimensional op mcs
Aug 17, 2021 11:08 AM

Dec 2014
It's not rocket surgery, people who don't like Shinji's personality will cite a character having a similar personality as a negative. People don't even like real people universally how is the fact that people dislike a character shocking?
Aug 17, 2021 11:15 AM

Jan 2020
Like most people on this thread said, Many viewers like to watch characters they admire or proudly self insert to, Or at the very least a character that starts as a wimp but becomes the ultimate chad at the end, This want it probably even more demanded when it comes to Mecha, But what can you do abt it.

I'm glad Anno didn't really give a shit about that and made a more realistic and turbulent character, And gave him a development that's somewhat small as well (Yet really nuanced, And deserved) and not him ruling over Nerv and banging all the chicks of something, Kudos.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Aug 17, 2021 11:27 AM

Sep 2018
JYX said:
Uh no one actually thinks like that, you're just overthinking it. What's with MAL users and making problems out of nothing?

There was literally a post asking if people would still like guts if he were similar to Shinji like a few hours ago...
There have been countless of other similar comments during all these years. Just try searching a little.

What's with MAL users and talking about things they know nothing about?

ohohohohohoho said:
I recently started watching Juuni Kokuki and I really couldn't believe how much people were deriding the MC in comments on the episodes. She is a literal 16 year old girl, who was until recently just a timid student and class rep. She's not the fucking Terminator. Now she's possessed by a spirit who's forcing her to slay doggie and monkey demons before they kill her. Of course she's not ready to handle that shit.

I really wonder if it's like, people don't WANT the characters to be realistic (very weird imo), or they just don't know what real people are like at all (very sad imo)? Or maybe what they really lack is self awareness? I wanna see these mfers face off with a monkey demon and see if they don't poop their pants. The people who hate Shinji are probably the people who are the most like him and just aren't ready to face their own anxieties and shortcomings.

In any case it's clear that people just look for characters who have no self doubt or just fleeting, superficial self doubt. People bitch all the time about how characters don't develop enough but they want the characters to be totally complete, powerful and desirable from episode 1. So what growth or change is going to happen?

I agree with what you wrote. Especially on the "development" part. From what I've seen those people consider "good development" their mary sue character experiencing some drama while shedding some manly and badass tears juts to come back like nothing happened...

desusama said:
It's not rocket surgery, people who don't like Shinji's personality will cite a character having a similar personality as a negative. People don't even like real people universally how is the fact that people dislike a character shocking?

My favorite character and my least favorite character share basically the same personality. How do you put it now?

Has the thought of judging a character on how the writer develops it and not solely on his personality ever crossed your mind?

I know people disliking a character isn't shocking at all. I don't even now where you got that from... I was just asking if people are really that obsessed with the same type of personality completely forgetting about the other aspects of a character.

Mod Note: Merged consecutive posts
dipItFooAug 17, 2021 6:18 PM
Aug 17, 2021 11:50 AM

Nov 2007
nyugvo6 said:
it's because they see shinji as a whiny bitch instead of looking deeper. he's an underdog.
his life sucks, his family sucks, his friends suck, piloting eva causes physical pain and mental exhaustion.
he's never rewarded, or thanked for but he still does his job because he has a goal. he wants to be acknowledged and loved. somehow the message is lost on the average watcher.

edit: it's spelled out bluntly by yui. Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right

Also I think Eva does a good job of portraying how confusing the world is in contemporary times. Are nerv the good guys? Do we have any idea what the angels want? Values are destabilized. Yet it doesn't matter if we know or don't know, Shinji has to fight or people will die. The only place he can find the will to live and provide meaning for his life is within himself. It doesn't matter if he's the only one who can pilot Eva 01. It doesn't matter if his mom is there to encourage him, someday everyone's parents are gone. A person's value doesn't come from their job or from what people say about them or expect from them, it comes from one's own decision to live, despite how hard life is. No one can decide for you. This is really not something that's easy for a 14 year old to understand... especially one who has the kind of problems Shinji has had.

Lepru said:
JYX said:

There was literally a post asking if people would still like guts if he were similar to Shinji like a few hours ago...
There have been countless of other similar comments during all these years. Just try searching a little.

Ironically Guts has like the opposite character arc of Shinji, but he's also a really good character imo. Guts starts out fighting to survive because he just believes he has a right to do so, despite how fucked up his life was. At least, he'll keep fighting until he comes across someone who can kill him (and put him out of his misery?). Then Griffith convinces him that a person's value comes from their dream and their ability to make their dream a reality, and suddenly Guts is filled with self-doubt and wants to go off to figure out who he really is. However Guts' resolve and inherent belief in himself simultaneously makes Griffith doubt his need for his dream and makes him fall in love (maybe it's just bromantic) with Guts.
Aug 17, 2021 11:51 AM

Jul 2021
Lepru said:
JYX said:

You just proved my point. I know about that thread and it has nothing to do with your question, in fact. That guy wasn't diminishing Shinji's character, he was simply asking if people would still like guts if he had Shinji personality; I fail to see the problem. It's not that people are obessed with "gigachad characters," It's just that both shinji and guts are great characters in their respective shows but that wouldn't be the case anymore if you switched them around.
Aug 17, 2021 11:58 AM

Sep 2018
JYX said:
Lepru said:

You just proved my point. I know about that thread and it has nothing to do with your question, in fact. That guy wasn't diminishing Shinji's character, he was simply asking if people would still like guts if he had Shinji personality; I fail to see the problem. It's not that people are obessed with "gigachad characters," It's just that both shinji and guts are great characters in their respective shows but that wouldn't be the case anymore if you switched them around.

You just proved my point. You don't know what you are talking about.
I know what that post asked, I wasn't referring solely to what the OP wrote, but you clearly don't know what all the countless comments people have wrote during all these years mean. Seriously, just a quick search... I don't think it will take much time because there are infinite discussions about this topic.

Actually, even looking at the other replies of this post may hint you that maybe there is a problem.
Aug 17, 2021 12:00 PM

Oct 2010
because shinji is lame and a wuss, I dislike pansies, just get in the robot. still, the anime was very good but I don't have to agree with shinji's way of being
Aug 17, 2021 12:01 PM

Mar 2015
But Shinji is a gigachad?

Oh wait you mean the one from Evangelion not the Fate one
Aug 17, 2021 12:13 PM

Dec 2014
Lepru said:
desusama said:

My favorite character and my least favorite character share basically the same personality. How do you put it now?

Has the thought of judging a character on how the writer develops it and not solely on his personality ever crossed your mind?

I know people disliking a character isn't shocking at all. I don't even now where you got that from... I was just asking if people are really that obsessed with the same type of personality completely forgetting about the other aspects of a character.

I'm genuinely curious apart from design and personality what else makes up a character?
Aug 17, 2021 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
Because most people care more about enjoyment, so a character being annoying or likeable is what is actually important to them, rather than said character and his growth conveying anything meaningful regardless of his likeability.
Aug 17, 2021 12:46 PM

Sep 2018
desusama said:
Lepru said:

I'm genuinely curious apart from design and personality what else makes up a character?

Many other things...
An example would be coherence, is the character's personality coherent with its actions? Or, are the character's actions coherent with what the story is trying to portray?
How does the writer develop its personality?
What is the purpose of the character?

Sometimes, a character has indeed a "bad" personality, but the author is trying to show something. One of my favorite characters of all time has what people consider a "horrible personality", people hate on this character because of their personality without considering the fact that the author decided to give such personality to this character in order to portray certain aspects of life. This character shows perfectly how a certain personality, which is indeed "flawed"(but, to be honest, there isn't a truly perfect personality...), could lead to certain actions and certain situations in life. The character did what it was supposed to do. Is this a bad thing? Does this character deserve all the hate it gets? It's not like this character is a psycho, a killer or something... It's just a character that it's supposed to represent how many "real people" behave...

Sometimes, a character's greatness can be attributed to the talent of its author and this isn't something that we can properly define.
This are just some examples, but there can be more.
Aug 17, 2021 12:57 PM

Nov 2018
Lepru said:
Are people really that obsessed with supposedly "gigachads" characters or lame Mary Sues?
Yes, take a look at the most favorited characters to confirm. I'm not implying they're necessarily bad because I also like a few of them, it's just that most of them are created to be cool and likeable, and only to forever stay that way in the worst cases, which is exactly what the overwhelming majority of viewers always wants and needs.
Aug 17, 2021 2:08 PM

May 2021
Also, to add on to that, I find it surprising that Asuka doesn't get as much hate as Shinji, she was literally more whiny than him.
Aug 17, 2021 3:04 PM
Apr 2021
deg said:

I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. When I learned the truth, I was... dissapointed
Aug 17, 2021 3:26 PM
Jul 2018
I think that Shinji may be a bit “too real” for some people, and kind of takes them out of the experience when watching Evangelion. I think (from the little that I saw of the show) that his character is written well, but I can see how his personality would rub people the wrong way. No one wants to listen to a 14-year old boy whine and complain, regardless of how justified the circumstances are.

I don’t have a problem with the character personally. Who knows, once I get around to watching (and finishing) Evangelion I may change my mind.
Aug 17, 2021 3:44 PM

Apr 2017
Shinji is a well written character, but he is not a fun character. A lot of people understandably only want to watch and/or read characters that are fun.
PFP source: Pixiv/Twitter
Aug 17, 2021 3:50 PM

Jan 2021
I find it hilarious that the people that usually hate shinji are usually the ones that relate with him.
Aug 17, 2021 3:52 PM
Jun 2016
People only want epic edgelord characters or literally me characters. Nuance and character development can be uncomfortable for people sometimes.
Aug 17, 2021 4:00 PM

Nov 2019
animu007 said:

also.

Ah, I see. You have got yourself a legendary meme.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Aug 17, 2021 6:20 PM
Community Mod
Aug 2019
Thread moved from Anime Discussion to anime-specific(Neon Genesis Evangelion) subboard.
Oct 19, 2021 10:18 PM

Jun 2016
Alternate take: People are tired of lazy Shinji clones cropping up in other animanga solely because eva did it and became a goldmine. They end up watching that newer stuff first and by the time they get to eva they simply have no patience for the archetype anymore.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
1 hour ago

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Today, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.