Forum Settings
Forums

Characteristics of a good character for you.

New
Jun 24, 2021 9:20 AM
Aug 2020
My favourite characters are either really dumb or really intelligent or just walrus. Pls tell yours. Leave beautiful waifus away. They should be good characters. Help me ladies and gentlemen.
Yik69Jun 24, 2021 9:36 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 24, 2021 7:41 PM

Jan 2020
A lot of my favorite characters happen to be very strong

Jun 24, 2021 7:52 PM

Feb 2020
For guys I really like badass one man army types - Shougo Kawada, Yuuji Kazami & Hida Kizuna (I guess?) Kasumi Chigusa too.

For girls I like strong willed/determined but also intelligent - Junko Enoshima & Kazuki Kazami.
Also girls that can defend themselves and others also - Rin Tokikaze, Kyouko Kirisaki, Shinoa Hiiragi & Asuha Chigusa.
LightWorkerJun 24, 2021 7:56 PM
Jun 24, 2021 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
My taste in characters varies. I tend to like the energetic and enthusiastic male protagonists you see in battle shounen anime. I also like intelligent characters to a certain extent such as L from Death Note and Conan from Detective Conan. Another reason I like L is his quirkiness. Then there are badass ones that I like such as Yusuke Urameshi, Garou, and Kenpachi Zaraki. I think it just depends on what personalities are the most interesting to me.
Jun 24, 2021 8:03 PM

Apr 2018
Take KAKASHI as an example, that's the chartersctics of a perfectionist.
ᱨᱚᱡ ᱠᱤᱨᱚᱱ ᱥᱚᱱᱠᱚᱨ : 𑀓𑀸𑀓 𑀘𑁂𑀱𑁆𑀝𑀸, 𑀩𑀓𑁄 𑀥𑁆𑀬𑀸𑀦𑀁, 𑀲𑁆𑀯𑀸𑀦 𑀦𑀺𑀤𑁆𑀭𑀸 𑀢𑀣𑁃𑀯 𑀘 𑁇 𑀅𑀮𑁆𑀧𑀳𑀸𑀭𑀻, 𑀕𑀾𑀳𑀢𑁆𑀬𑀸𑀕𑀻, 𑀯𑀺𑀤𑁆𑀬𑀸𑀭𑁆𑀣𑀻 𑀧𑀁𑀘 𑀮𑀓𑁆𑀱𑀡𑀁 𑁈
𑀥𑀭𑁆𑀫𑁄_𑀭𑀓𑁆𑀱𑀢𑀺_𑀭 𑀓𑁆𑀱𑀺𑀢
Jun 24, 2021 8:07 PM

Jul 2020
A good character should be a
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2021 8:13 PM
Aug 2019
My favorites tend to be the ones that undergo anguish from a contradiction in their character. Kiriyama Rei is pretty good b/c of how he clings to shogi as a lifeline, yet is at times half-hearted about doing the best he can in the profession (Although, I like him for other reasons too). Emiya Kiritsugu is great b/c he hopes to save humanity but by means of committing some of the most inhumane acts imaginable. Just to give a couple examples.

But really almost any character can be a good one for me, so long as they are developed well and are put in a variety of interesting situations.
Jun 24, 2021 8:28 PM
Aug 2020
02_RK said:
Take KAKASHI as an example, that's the chartersctics of a perfectionist.
ok I have to watch Naruto then . Thanks for telling me
Jun 24, 2021 8:50 PM
Jul 2018
A lot of my fav characters are introverted

@Yik69 Nine and Illumi Zoldyck
removed-userJun 24, 2021 9:45 PM
Jun 24, 2021 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
my favorite characters dress really good and have a good character design
Jun 24, 2021 9:35 PM
Aug 2020
Strengthen said:
hmm ok gimme some good examples of the best characters for you please sir
Jun 24, 2021 9:49 PM
Aug 2020
Strengthen said:

@Yik69 Nine and Illumi Zoldyck
I'm watching hunter X hunter so I would find illumi zoldyck on the way
Jun 24, 2021 9:51 PM

Oct 2018
i've noticed that some of the characters i've been liking are villains with actual good character development. but there are some villains that i like with shit development

♔ 𝘴𝘦𝘵 © 𝘫𝘢𝘺
Jun 24, 2021 9:52 PM

Aug 2020
Most of my favorite characters are just characters who can be unique and themselves or just cute.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Jun 24, 2021 9:53 PM
Aug 2020
memorycloud said:
i've noticed that some of the characters i've been liking are villains with actual good character development. but there are some villains that i like with shit development
examples?? Of that character pls tell me
Jun 24, 2021 9:54 PM
Aug 2020
Corrout said:
Most of my favorite characters are just characters who can be unique and themselves or just cute.
pls give me some examples of characters which are unique and themselves
Jun 24, 2021 9:58 PM

Aug 2020
Yik69 said:
Corrout said:
pls give me some examples of characters which are unique and themselves
I'd say Kaguya Shinomiya (my fav anime character) is a good example of it, though you might not see too much of it during the arcs the anim covers.

Edit: You didn't want waifus, Miyuki from the same show is also pretty unique

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Jun 24, 2021 9:59 PM

Apr 2021
All of my favorite characters are highly intelligent
Jun 24, 2021 10:01 PM

Oct 2018
Yik69 said:
memorycloud said:

ehh probably overhaul, geto, griffith (although i've only seen the berserk movies. i just know hes a villain), kyuubey, etc ig

♔ 𝘴𝘦𝘵 © 𝘫𝘢𝘺
Jun 24, 2021 10:01 PM
Aug 2020
Rollout22 said:
Personal favourites usually are intelligent/competent, and have some depth. Not that into the loud stupid characters. It’s definitely good to have a mix of personality types though as long as they are fleshed out. I hate when characters are one note and their existence is spouting the same line. Like the drunk, glutton, pervert, brawler, etc. No matter what is being discussed they always say the same stupid thing based on a stereotype.

Ex. Going to a bar
- drunk “let’s drink all their booze!”
- glutton “I hope they have lots of yummy food”
- pervert “I’m going to pick up all the ladies”
- brawler “bar fights are the best!”

Black clover does that a lot.
example of the characters that you really love pls sir
Jun 24, 2021 10:07 PM
Aug 2020
memorycloud said:
Yik69 said:

ehh probably overhaul, geto, griffith (although i've only seen the berserk movies. i just know hes a villain), kyuubey, etc ig
oooh thanks would have to watch all the anime they are appearing in. Thanks for the recommendation
Jun 24, 2021 10:12 PM

Apr 2018
One that has strong characterization, strong development as the series progresses, or strong chemistry with the other characters or plot at hand. Preferably all three.
Jun 24, 2021 11:04 PM
Aug 2020
Parataxical said:
One that has strong characterization, strong development as the series progresses, or strong chemistry with the other characters or plot at hand. Preferably all three.
give examples of all the three. Pls I request
Jun 24, 2021 11:08 PM

Nov 2020
My favourite characters have a pretty strong charisma, other than that each of my favourite characters are really different from each other.

═════════════════════════════
You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

Jun 24, 2021 11:10 PM
Aug 2020
adnan_ said:
My favourite characters have a pretty strong charisma, other than that each of my favourite characters are really different from each other.
hmm most of the characters you have as favourite are really different. But can you explain what kind of charisma you are talking about
Jun 24, 2021 11:13 PM

Nov 2020
Yik69 said:
adnan_ said:
hmm most of the characters you have as favourite are really different. But can you explain what kind of charisma you are talking about
They are cool, Interesting , complex, funny, Badass basically those who are really likable, it does not matter if they are the good guy or the bad guy.

You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

Jun 24, 2021 11:18 PM

Oct 2020
Characters that have a lot of complexity/depth, present themes well, good characterization & thought provoking as well.
Jun 24, 2021 11:19 PM
Feb 2021
Azusagawa Sakuta for various reasons:

• He isn't dense
  • He doesn't think that others will only suffer because of him and thus he should disassociate himself with others
  • Doesn't try to look great.
  • Knows his limits. When asking for Futaba to stay overnight, he properly asks Mai. Not like other anime MCs who would have done so without thinking it will cause a problem.
  • In short, he is not disconnected from the audience's perspective. You don't feel the need to say "no, don't do this","no you idiot it is obvious that..." and so on. Doesn't make me feel frustrated.

So the characteristic I look for is that character should not make me feel frustrated with their decisions & dialogues. The character may have a different set of ideals than me. That is not the problem. But then they should not do something out of character just because plot requires it. Otherwise it is frustrating.
Jun 25, 2021 12:43 AM
Aug 2020
Krns said:
Characters that have a lot of complexity/depth, present themes well, good characterization & thought provoking as well.
give some examples pls sir or Ma'am. I'm requesting you
Jun 25, 2021 1:15 AM

Jul 2017
Characters that start strong on there path but due circumstanceslose there way in negative aspect of those paths and then finding a new way to get to the path (Sasuke)

Characters whose actions lead to great consequences and these consequences really effect the character and make them have great development (Lelouch)

Crazy but very firm on there beliefs and will go to great lengths achieve there goals (nagito)

Free and bold personality that inspire change in people around them (Raider, Kamina, Luffy)

Great Assassins with great back story (koro sensei)

Character with self contradictory idialogy
That betrays him makes them regret the path they chose (archer)

Relatble characters (hachiman)

Character after a great loss finding reesons to live and enjoy life to live up to lessons he was thought (Gintoki)

Well I didnt describe them good but it should suffice
Jun 25, 2021 1:31 AM
Aug 2020
Akitokamisen said:
Characters that start strong on there path but due circumstanceslose there way in negative aspect of those paths and then finding a new way to get to the path (Sasuke)

Characters whose actions lead to great consequences and these consequences really effect the character and make them have great development (Lelouch)

Crazy but very firm on there beliefs and will go to great lengths achieve there goals (nagito)

Free and bold personality that inspire change in people around them (Raider, Kamina, Luffy)

Great Assassins with great back story (koro sensei)

Character with self contradictory idialogy
That betrays him makes them regret the path they chose (archer)

Relatble characters (hachiman)

Character after a great loss finding reesons to live and enjoy life to live up to lessons he was thought (Gintoki)

Well I didnt describe them good but it should suffice
I have to watch every single anime they are in now. Thanks for telling me
Jun 25, 2021 3:16 AM

May 2021
No idea. It's all situational and depends on my perception of them. Reasons for someone being my favorite are vast and I'd have a hard time rationalizing and listing them. They don't need to be a certain archetype, nor do they need to have any kind of development at all. Such things should be explored individually with every particular character to determine if there are any shared characteristics between them.
Jun 25, 2021 3:29 AM

May 2019
To make good character you need to make them easy to connect and understand. Various actions of this character must be reasonable and sensible. Having good personality or relatable is also the key for making one. Good backstory for the character is also welcomed to support the character.

Jun 25, 2021 4:14 AM
Aug 2020
-YaoiBoy- said:
No idea. It's all situational and depends on my perception of them. Reasons for someone being my favorite are vast and I'd have a hard time rationalizing and listing them. They don't need to be a certain archetype, nor do they need to have any kind of development at all. Such things should be explored individually with every particular character to determine if there are any shared characteristics between them.
gimme examples of the situation. What kind of situation are you talking about.
Jun 25, 2021 4:27 AM
Jan 2021
I really like smart and strong characters, but also in-depth, not just some random godly being
Jun 25, 2021 4:50 AM

May 2021
Yik69 said:
-YaoiBoy- said:
gimme examples of the situation. What kind of situation are you talking about.

A situation where I can hate certain type of character in one anime, but love the very similar type of character in another. And what makes it situational is that such like/dislike can never truly be predicted or categorized. Even small things, like how character's face is drawn, how he talks can etc. can make a difference, even if those characters are like 90% similar in every major aspect (personality, world view etc.). Most of those things never register consciously, unless you purposefully think about it in every particular situation. So, I won't be able to tell "I like characters with these type of faces and personality" or something like that.
Jun 25, 2021 5:07 AM
Jul 2018
Light Yagami is the definition for me as a good character. If a character is handsome, smart, cute, cool, have some depths, with a crazy personality or behaviour then abviously he/she is my favourite
Jun 25, 2021 5:22 AM
Aug 2020
robinaa said:
Light Yagami is the definition for me as a good character. If a character is handsome, smart, cute, cool, have some depths, with a crazy personality or behaviour then abviously he/she is my favourite
i thought he was edgy as hell and lacked depth. Dropped at ep 19. So i don't know that much
Jun 25, 2021 5:29 AM

Aug 2020
Yik69 said:
robinaa said:
i thought he was edgy as hell and lacked depth. Dropped at ep 19. So i don't know that much

You must be the first person to say Light is not deep.
Jun 25, 2021 5:34 AM
Aug 2020
mr_modest said:
Yik69 said:

I only watched till ep 19 so. I don't really know. Sorry if I'm wrong
Jun 25, 2021 5:37 AM

Aug 2020
Yik69 said:
mr_modest said:

I only watched till ep 19 so. I don't really know. Sorry if I'm wrong

Don't be sorry. His development is gradual, right from the start but you probably didn't notice.
Jun 25, 2021 6:07 AM

Jan 2020
Character like luffy static character with very little development free and bold doesn't think too much. do things as his heart says love his friends and family

Very human character like Subaru

character that doesn't care about anything as long they got what they want like kumoko,ainz

Very prideful characters although he should have strength to back up his pride like Gilgamesh,escanor,light yagami,white,jahad

There are still lots
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2021 6:44 AM

Apr 2018
Yik69 said:
Parataxical said:

Good characterization would be someone like Joseph Joestar from JoJo's Battle Tendency arc. He's overall probably the most hilarious and entertaining main in the entire JoJo franchise, and throughout the series, you clearly know what his priorities and motives are and what he stands and fights for. His presence basically brings life to the entire arc, something you can't really say for many of the other JoJos before or after.

Strong development would be someone like Seishuu from Barakamon. This series manages to mellow him out from an arrogant and short-tempered calligrapher into a more self-conscious and respectable human being while giving him an outlet to find new inspiration for his calligraphy, and at no point in the series does the progression feel forced or undeserved.

Strong chemistry between characters would be the main characters in Kobayashi and Takiya's household from Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. They're individually good characters in their own right, but it's their interactions in everyday life and in the household which really carry the show's comedy and more heartwarming moments.

A good example of all three would be Rei Kiriyama from March Comes In Like a Lion. Throughout the series, you come to know and understand his past and how it relates to his present struggles and problems. The chemistry between him and his fellow shogi colleagues and the Kawamoto sisters explores an extraordinary range of human emotions and interactions in scarily realistic detail including funny moments, heartwarming moments, angry moments, sad moments, vulnerable moments and more. Through these interactions, especially with Hinata in the second season, you see him change from a clearly depressed and lost man who's more or less has no idea what he wants or is heading towards into someone who has finally found someone he wants to fight for and protect and with it a real meaning and purpose to his life. March Comes In Like a Lion is a masterpiece in terms of character writing and portrayal, probably the best anime in that regard I've ever seen, and if you need a recommendation for a series with good character writing, I'd recommend you start with that.
Jun 25, 2021 6:50 AM
Aug 2020
Parataxical said:
Yik69 said:

Good characterization would be someone like Joseph Joestar from JoJo's Battle Tendency arc. He's overall probably the most hilarious and entertaining main in the entire JoJo franchise, and throughout the series, you clearly know what his priorities and motives are and what he stands and fights for. His presence basically brings life to the entire arc, something you can't really say for many of the other JoJos before or after.

Strong development would be someone like Seishuu from Barakamon. This series manages to mellow him out from an arrogant and short-tempered calligrapher into a more self-conscious and respectable human being while giving him an outlet to find new inspiration for his calligraphy, and at no point in the series does the progression feel forced or undeserved.

Strong chemistry between characters would be the main characters in Kobayashi and Takiya's household from Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. They're individually good characters in their own right, but it's their interactions in everyday life and in the household which really carry the show's comedy and more heartwarming moments.

A good example of all three would be Rei Kiriyama from March Comes In Like a Lion. Throughout the series, you come to know and understand his past and how it relates to his present struggles and problems. The chemistry between him and his fellow shogi colleagues and the Kawamoto sisters explores an extraordinary range of human emotions and interactions in scarily realistic detail including funny moments, heartwarming moments, angry moments, sad moments, vulnerable moments and more. Through these interactions, especially with Hinata in the second season, you see him change from a clearly depressed and lost man who's more or less has no idea what he wants or is heading towards into someone who has finally found someone he wants to fight for and protect and with it a real meaning and purpose to his life. March Comes In Like a Lion is a masterpiece in terms of character writing and portrayal, probably the best anime in that regard I've ever seen, and if you need a recommendation for a series with good character writing, I'd recommend you start with that.
so I should watch this anime for good characters. Okay sir I would watch March comes in like a lion
Jun 25, 2021 6:54 AM

Nov 2018
Huge breast, big ass, thick thighs.

These are most important for chara growth.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Jun 25, 2021 7:00 AM
Feb 2021
Coherent characters that make sense (opposite from suzaku from code geass) and are have some proper ideology/philosophy/mindset because otherwise a character can do anything and literally anything can and will happen in the plot which on watching frankly feels like cheating on the part of the anime.
Jun 25, 2021 8:45 AM
Aug 2020
_aLiez_ said:
Huge breast, big ass, thick thighs.

These are most important for chara growth.
hmm that just makes a good waifu. I said keep waifus away pls tell me. Some good characters
Jun 25, 2021 1:12 PM

Mar 2021
I tend to like the characters who are kind and put others before themselves. I also love characters who are constantly smiling and showing their emotions. Unlike most people, I don't like cold and badass characters.

I usually don't like villains, but I like villains whose motivations make sense. Like Yut Lung from Banana Fish. I just love him!
This is Nanba Prison. No one has ever escaped successfully from this prison. -Nanbaka

Jun 25, 2021 1:14 PM

Jan 2021
Good character design and great character development.
Jun 25, 2021 3:44 PM
Nov 2020
Not too self-righteous, not one dimensional, not too edgy

In other words "unique characters"

Also the design matters to me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

230 by Coaghim »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 18 minutes ago

4 by Spunkert »»
7 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

105 by YeeYeeAss »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 1 hour ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
28 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.