Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 5, 2021 10:05 PM
Jan 2016
Albi-kun said:
I really don't get the appeal. This is such an average show.

The fact your comment is in the episode 9 discussion thread is hilarious

If you do not like it, just don't watch it and do not say it aloud because no one cares, period.
Jun 5, 2021 10:09 PM
Jul 2018
This is probably the best episode for a new series this season.
Jun 5, 2021 10:31 PM

Feb 2014
Damn they ended the first arc with a bang. Felt like a season finale. The characters really came to life with such encounters. For a second I saw Esdeath in Lena when she threatened Annete. Truly a devil in the making. Aslo SHin finally freed from all his chains and sorrow. A new life in an unknown world.
Btw did anyone hear Call your Name playing at the end scene or is it just me.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jun 5, 2021 11:23 PM
Apr 2021
NAILED IT A-1 !!!!!
God-tier animation!
God-teir music!
God-tier voice acting!
Perfect pacing and sequence!
And perfect transition!
A fuckin' masterpiece of an episode.I felt chills to the bones. Salute to the SPEARHEAD SQUADRON🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️🙋🙋🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️
Best spring 2021 anime.
Jun 6, 2021 12:05 AM

Aug 2019
it honestly really sucks when I can’t find the appeal in a popular show, like I genuinely want to love this but I just can’t
Jun 6, 2021 12:08 AM

Sep 2019
_MushiRock11_ said:
Now, that was an episode and a half! Incredible stuff, this is the episode of the year for me.

Lena not only gave away her rank in the military but also a friendship away to fight with the 86, and boy in what fashion that was! "That's right, Officer Pensor". I am, and so are you." - Legit fire, this. Atmosphere with the rain and the stunning performance from the voice actors, peak quality. And that's how you blackmail
When did she gave away her rank though?
Jun 6, 2021 12:39 AM

Nov 2015
TweedleDane said:

would i be spoiled of anything if i google for the ln version ?

Yes, the map is pretty big so, you will be hit by massive spoiler.
Please wait for episode 1 or 2 of the 2nd cour to avoid this spoiler.

But if you still curious about the map, maybe I can crop the spoiler part and share the non-spoiler part for you.
Jun 6, 2021 12:40 AM

May 2016
This show is literally blowing my mind. It's actually astonishing the amount of high class symbolism and imagery. I've literally never seen an anime that utilize symbolism to such an extreme degree. Almost every shot is packed with incredible meaning, it's frankly beautiful

I feel like a lot of it is going over the head of the usual seasonal watchers. It's sad to see how many people misunderstand this show.
Jun 6, 2021 12:47 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
So spearhead squandron is like “fuck this shit I’m out!” They’re lucky they got special treatment when all the other 86ers still have to serve under the republic.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jun 6, 2021 12:48 AM
Apr 2020
Honestly, It's been a while since i got attached to a recent anime. A-1 Really nailed this one, Amazing production quality with top tier music and voice acting. The art style and the blinding of CGIs this is just too perfect. I really appreciate and Love how these guy managed to perfectly sync in episodes with Light Novel. This Anime even kills it's own Light Novel in terms of delievering pure quality. I don't have words to describe how much i am have enjoyed this series, I alwasy prefer extra episodes after main sequence and this will deliever that and that's a huge bonus for me.

BetaMaleUltra said:
So spearhead squandron is like “fuck this shit I’m out!” They’re lucky they got special treatment when all the other 86ers still have to serve under the republic.

No, more like they are sacrificing themselves. They are just following the orders and running to their deaths. Not runnning away for themselves

Mod edit: merged double post
BarnaldJun 6, 2021 7:49 AM
Jun 6, 2021 12:52 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Cattier said:
BetaMaleUltra said:

No, more like they are sacrificing themselves. They are just following the orders and running to their deaths. Not runnning away for themselves

Oh, I misunderstood, forgot the events of the previous episode. Was it explained why they would just send their soldiers to needlessly die?

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jun 6, 2021 12:52 AM
Apr 2020
TweedleDane said:
Gotta give respect to sawano here . his music elevated the scenes to a really high level . i dont even know if i would have even enjoyed the scenes that much if it wasnt for it .....
i was worried the fights would be terrible considering how the action scenes were directed in the previous eps were , but it was well done . brilliant sound direction especially .
and finally a much needed character development . it finally took her to know what is that lena can actually do to help the 86 . and its good for the relationship between her and the spearhead , the scene with the red haired girl trusting lena is also a hint of the development .

and is there a map of for the republic ? i am kinda confused at how all the districts and units are placed....

not a fan of the melodramatic scenes at all tho. and besides , i think she should have been happy that the group is leaving , they finally get to be free .

She got sad because they were running to their deaths not for themselves, That's why she was crying
Jun 6, 2021 12:58 AM

Nov 2015
Saygram said:

On the other hand, another interesting fact, so if the brain was not damaged, the owner's mind is preserved. I just didn't get this T-1000 effect. When it comes to symbolism, it's over 9000, I hope it will be explained later how it works.

The simple explaination is on volume 4 and 5 (so~ super spoiler), so you will need to wait for a pretty long time (probably never, if they decide to stop at 2nd season).
Jun 6, 2021 12:59 AM
Apr 2020
BetaMaleUltra said:
Cattier said:

Oh, I misunderstood, forgot the events of the previous episode. Was it explained why they would just send their soldiers to needlessly die?

Well for the whole story, we probably have to wait up for the next seasons as the story progresses but as far as it has been disclosed. It's the hate for 86, Racisim, Human experimentation and then getting rid of them. In fact this was the sole purpose of them sending them to the front lines and these guys at spearhead squadron were strong and difficult to die and survived long battles so they were given this mission to finally get rid of them and lena started crying when she realized that she might never see them again. Kinda messed up but that's how it is

SouthRzVa said:
Spearhead guys literally went "haha see ya" to Lena at the end.

Also, Lena's personality doing an 180 came so out of nowhere but I won't complain one bit given I was waiting for her to act like a cold bitch proper Major since the damn show started. Seriously, seeing her giving no fucks while manipulating Annette was so satisfying.

Overall, decent episode I guess. I mean, I never cared about the whole Shinei-Rei drama but I agree that the direction this time was quite stellar. Especially the throwback scene with little Lena and the figurative slap she gave Rei.

It's Sad lmao they were cheerfully running to their deaths not "hahahh see ya"

BarnaldJun 6, 2021 7:49 AM
Jun 6, 2021 1:01 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Cattier said:
BetaMaleUltra said:

Well for the whole story, we probably have to wake up for the next seasons as the story progresses but as far as it has been disclosed. It's the hate for 86, Racisim, Human experimentation and then getting rid of them. In fact this was the sole purpose of them sending them to the front lines and these guys at spearhead squadron were strong and difficult to die and survived long battles so they were given this mission to finally get rid of them and lena started crying when she realized that she might never see them again. Kinda messed up but that's how it is

Ah I gotchu. I think I see where this is going, haven’t read the novels, but there’s a big reveal coming soon isn’t there.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jun 6, 2021 1:04 AM

Mar 2008
Yuvensius said:
Saygram said:

On the other hand, another interesting fact, so if the brain was not damaged, the owner's mind is preserved. I just didn't get this T-1000 effect. When it comes to symbolism, it's over 9000, I hope it will be explained later how it works.

The simple explaination is on volume 4 and 5 (so~ super spoiler), so you will need to wait for a pretty long time (probably never, if they decide to stop at 2nd season).

Good to know. I have 7 volumes of LN, need to start reading already(^_^) cause waiting killing me.

Jun 6, 2021 1:09 AM

Nov 2008
Did we watch the same show?

theGodde said:
so I kinda feel like Shin got a little too much attention and almost overshadowed the other 86.

Well, he is the main character, he is the commander, and everyone knows his brother is the Shepherd. The entire squad knew this was personal for him, and they all knew they were going to die anyways.

theGodde said:
Meanwhile Lena comes back - and what was with those aerial mortars? I'm sure the LN explained it, but to us anime onlys it just happened. Is there some kind of satellite? or are they fired by the ranged artillery all the way from Alba territory? And if Lena is able to fire these mortars then why aren't other commanders using them?

No, they are NOT allowed to use the mortars. It was definitely in the show. No Handler has permission to use them. Penrose had to assist in using them with her system. I'm assuming they don't use them because they just want annihilation of the squad. The mission was for them to die, not to be saved.

theGodde said:
Shin's brother was the driving force of this conflict - it was the connection that made us care whether they won the war

Was it? The 86 knew they were gonna die period - but they all decided to keep fighting regardless. Their choice.

theGodde said:
I really hate this series and this episode did nothing to change that overall fact.

Nice.
littlemitsukiJun 6, 2021 1:12 AM
Jun 6, 2021 1:14 AM

Apr 2015
Great episode, not my favorite and I wasn't as into it as I wished, but I admit the directing, animation, VA, and music were all absolutely phenomenal. Huge props to the staff for obviously putting so much care into adapting this LN. I'm a bit disappointed the fight was over so quickly - within half an episode - although that's just a personal nitpick. And I couldn't really emotionally connect with anything revolving around Shin and his brother, although re-watching the part with Shin recalling his love for his brother with his face unblurred with the "Avidity" music playing was great. Also neat symbolism with Shin ripping off his scarf from his neck. And Shin's creepy expressions at the beginning were on point lol. Lena blackmailing her ex-friend was pretty intense and showed some nice character development. The latter half was more bittersweet, it kind of felt like an episode finale. Just two more episodes left to go, I heard they're going to be mostly anime-original. Looking forward to seeing how the season will end!

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jun 6, 2021 1:16 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Man, never thought these episode can be so enjoyable like these. Brother mecha fight was awesome. I can't stop rewatching those part nonstop, until i lose my time hardly. And then, with the way Shin blew his brother into pieces, and then the ed theme song played. That's also fuckin sick yo, ngl. Farewell brother, farewell Mayor Milize? Ah, right, it isn't over for them.

The girl pov again. Lena successfully launch a little reinforcement by sending those half deactivated fuse rounds to delay the whole Legion marches together with Shin's brother unit. Its surely slap him hard. Lena, confronted Annete with her combined knowledge about Shin (off screen work of her, unfortunately). Devil information always right at the right time, and proved to be effective as a device to helped Spearhead five units left, out of their misery. Good shit. But, the journey isn't end, yet. There's still a lot of Legion awaits them ahead to be destroyed, and its means, going forward until an unknown times, really be their fate.

Goodbye, really be a good title on this episode. Well....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 6, 2021 1:18 AM

Dec 2012
aightbet said:
Albi-kun said:

Ah, yes. The classic "you're too stupid to understand it" shit. What if I told you that maybe it's not me who doesn't understand but it's you who have low standards?!

Bruh I ain't gonna lie, especially after this episode. You looking hella stupid rn. You don't even have to like the anime to notice the directing on this episode was absolutely phenomenal.

That doesn't make the story good.

KneelBeforeMe said:
Albi-kun said:
LN popularity and production value is pretty much why this anime is as popular as it is. It's nothing special but it looks good and it's well directed. I dont find the story or characters that interesting whatsoever but the production makes it watchable for a seasonal anime.

Thank you! Finally someone who gets it!

BarnaldJun 6, 2021 7:50 AM
Jun 6, 2021 1:22 AM

Nov 2015
Saygram said:

Good to know. I have 7 volumes of LN, need to start reading already(^_^) cause waiting killing me.

Well, considering the simple explaination is not on some omega level plot twist or some crazy revelation like that, you can keep a low expectation and just expect a simple, decent, and somewhat logical explaination though.
Jun 6, 2021 1:26 AM

Dec 2012
Leonhart93 said:
Albi-kun said:

AhriTheS3xyFox said:
I honestly do not understand why people like this show

KneelBeforeMe said:
LN popularity and production value is pretty much why this anime is as popular as it is. It's nothing special but it looks good and it's well directed. I dont find the story or characters that interesting whatsoever but the production makes it watchable for a seasonal anime.

I don't know how you guys watched this, but ever since the first episode I have been endlessly excited for every episode and every time it gets better and better. The characters, the action even Lena's tiny fidgety gestures while talking to them, all those always make me tingly for the next week.
And when the time to finally watch the next episode comes, I try to delay it as much as possible because I don't like how it all just joes by in an instant 😳.

And no, I haven't read the LN but I will definitely do it. I already got them on my kindle 😄.

The characters are bland as hell.
Jun 6, 2021 1:26 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
ArimaKana said:
When did she gave away her rank though?

Oh, I assumed she put her military rank in jeopardy by doing what she did to assist the 86 members. My bad, I should have made the statement more tentative.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 6, 2021 1:29 AM

Dec 2012
superjordan2001 said:
Albi-kun said:

Ah, yes. The classic "you're too stupid to understand it" shit. What if I told you that maybe it's not me who doesn't understand but it's you who have low standards?!

Just saying dude, you gave Naruto a 10 so uh yea.

Naruto may not be perfect, but it's a 100 times better than this.
Jun 6, 2021 1:35 AM
Oct 2013
Albi-kun said:
superjordan2001 said:

Just saying dude, you gave Naruto a 10 so uh yea.

bro just stop, you make yourself sound stupider each time you comment. Its making me feel sad for you.
Jun 6, 2021 1:35 AM

Dec 2012
LordSozin said:
So this is the climax, huh. Pretty underwhelming I would say. I have no emotional attachment watching this series thus far. It's handling its themes lackluster since it's not fully explored. Unless this is your first time experiencing prejudices, race, politics, etc in anime, this anime is nothing special. There are better ones out there and they do a better job with these themes and they were more prevalent in the narrative.

Overpraised? Yes. Bad? No. It's just average.

That is spot on. I couldn't have said it better.

zzshcl said:
Albi-kun said:

The fact your comment is in the episode 9 discussion thread is hilarious

If you do not like it, just don't watch it and do not say it aloud because no one cares, period.

I'll watch it till the end and give it the rating it deserves.

BarnaldJun 6, 2021 7:50 AM
Jun 6, 2021 1:41 AM

Dec 2017
Oh boy this show delivers. The fight, the tension, the evil Lena, it is not even 10/10 at this point, it is 11 if not 12/10. If that episode didn't advertise the source enough - I doubt there can be anything that changes the mind of that person.
Jun 6, 2021 1:42 AM

Dec 2012
Neion4ty7 said:
Albi-kun said:

bro just stop, you make yourself sound stupider each time you comment. Its making me feel sad for you.

I mean, you gave Shield Hero a 9, so I'm not taking that from you.
Jun 6, 2021 1:51 AM
Oct 2013
Albi-kun said:
Neion4ty7 said:

I mean, you gave Shield Hero a 9, so I'm not taking that from you.

is that supposed to be an insult? Ill come right back at you with your 10 for naruto and fucking bleach. Hell if its shounen 300 eps at least to get anywhere you give it a 10, typical shounensperg. Like you gave sangatsu no lion an 8 while the aformentioned shounen drivel is 10s. the only one that deserves it is hunter x hunter.

You have watched over 100 eps of fucking boruto for christ sakes. Thats all i need to know to confirm my suspicion that any subtle exposition, symbolization or characterization is completely lost to you.
Neion4ty7Jun 6, 2021 2:04 AM
Jun 6, 2021 2:01 AM

Jan 2020
I just finished watching the episode. I'm at loss for words. Really what a chilling yet beautiful and sad episode. Just how can the production get better by episode? Every week I think it can't get any better, it proves me wrong. What a commendable job! Loved every single detail about this episode and enjoyed every second. The Sawano track at the end... I need to applaud that man for creating masterpiece after masterpiece. I cannot wait for the OSTs to come out.

I can't even put my thoughts into words to describe how much I loved this episode. It exceeded all of my expectations and more. I hope this gets more attention and popularity in the future because it deserves it.

New Lena is my favorite Lena. Last week I was thinking about how if Annette knew that Shin is her childhood friend that got sent to 86, she would break and that really happened sooner than I thought. The trauma was strong in this episode. I don't expect much to happen in the remaining two episodes, but I'm really looking forward to the next season.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jun 6, 2021 2:02 AM

Oct 2017
Albi-kun said:
aightbet said:

Bruh I ain't gonna lie, especially after this episode. You looking hella stupid rn. You don't even have to like the anime to notice the directing on this episode was absolutely phenomenal.

That doesn't make the story good.

Liking a story is of course subjective. Just like I find your rating of Naruto being a 10/10 quite funny, I still respect it if that's the type of show you enjoy.

I believe this show has explored the theme of forced conscription within a lens of a somewhat WWII type racism to be very well done and explored. The character development of Lena especially in the past 9 episodes was absolutely beautiful and breathtaking. Lena went from a character I was not too fond of in the beginning few episodes to progressively becoming my most loved character in the space of 9, wonderfully directed and presented episodes. The pacing of this story was one of my highlights of this show as well as how engaging it felt to see both alternating perspectives of the lives of Lena and the 86.

That being said, it is not my call to make you like a certain show if you do not like it. However, unlike you I do not barrage episode discussions by repeating the same rhetoric over and over in hopes to make other people not like this show. You may discuss your displeasure once, you may discuss it twice, maybe even three times. But continuously arguing with people who actually like the show or bringing this dead topic back to life over and over again is childish. Let people like what they like, you don't have to propagate your hatred to others, you only make yourself look like a troll.
Jun 6, 2021 2:40 AM

Jan 2015
GGcc78 said:
Inferno792 said:

Yeah, just read about that and that running scene was an anime only. Honestly would've preferred a more grounded reaction from her (which I assume was in the novel?) and the impact would've been much higher. Instead they opted to make it a lot more dramatic when it didn't need to be.

Also think that they could've done a better job explaining the geography of the area so we'd understand why they'd lose connection as there seem to be a fair amount of people confused by it. Perhaps it was explained better in the novel, but it could've been better maybe showing us a map on Lena's screen as the 86 were making their camping plans just to make it easier to follow. For something that's had such good direction overall, that scene was fairly confusing.
They did show the map on her screen. You see the squadron moving into a red colored zone while shes chasing after them. Once they enter it it says signal lost.

I don't mean that, rather something that would've shown their location with respect to the Republic/where Lena was so it would be clearer.
Jun 6, 2021 2:41 AM
Apr 2021
littlemitsuki said:

theGodde said:
so I kinda feel like Shin got a little too much attention and almost overshadowed the other 86.

Well, he is the main character, he is the commander, and everyone knows his brother is the Shepherd. The entire squad knew this was personal for him, and they all knew they were going to die anyways.

so because he's the main character all other characters can be ignored? The brother conflict probably took up about 1/3 of the runtime. There was still plenty of time to give the other characters some kind of development - even if it wasn't relation to Shin.

littlemitsuki said:
theGodde said:
Meanwhile Lena comes back - and what was with those aerial mortars? I'm sure the LN explained it, but to us anime onlys it just happened. Is there some kind of satellite? or are they fired by the ranged artillery all the way from Alba territory? And if Lena is able to fire these mortars then why aren't other commanders using them?

No, they are NOT allowed to use the mortars. It was definitely in the show. No Handler has permission to use them. Penrose had to assist in using them with her system. I'm assuming they don't use them because they just want annihilation of the squad. The mission was for them to die, not to be saved.

that is not at all the point. There has not been a single mention (ever) of the mortars being used in combat. There is no excuse why a nation would ban the use of effective weaponry during wartime. NOT A SINGLE EXCUSE. This is pure incompetence, and there is nothing wrong with admitting that. Even a dumbass can admit their favourite show is not perfect in every way.

littlemitsuki said:
theGodde said:
Shin's brother was the driving force of this conflict - it was the connection that made us care whether they won the war

Was it? The 86 knew they were gonna die period - but they all decided to keep fighting regardless. Their choice.

the fact that they were sent to the front to die wasn't something we initially knew. All the development has been focused towards Shin's relationship with his brother. The desire to keep living is a motivation, but it is not a driving force. A driving force is a particular motivation or plot point that gives the show a direction or goal to lead up to. Shin's relationship with his brother climaxed in their final confrontation. That is what made it a driving force. Wanting to survive is not a driving force because it has no real direction that it is leading up to. It's just a motivation.
A show without a driving force loses steam and tends to become directionless and boring. However there are plenty of potential driving forces that they could choose to progress the story in future episodes. Which is why I said they will probably address this next episode.

littlemitsuki said:
theGodde said:
I really hate this series and this episode did nothing to change that overall fact.

Nice.

I like how you snipped out the bit where I said I liked the episode to frame the entire rebuttal and make it seem as if I illogically hated on the show for no reason. (tbf that may not have been your intention but that's how it reads). Almost every single episode I have critiqued this show. You can go back and check previous episode forums. I do not hate this show because it feels bad. I hate this show because I believe many key elements that make up the show's identity are fundamentally flawed.

Note to anyone who enjoyed this show:
A CODE GEASS OVA WAS RELEASED YEARLY SINCE 2012 CALLED BOUKOKO NO AKITO (AKITO THE EXILED) WHICH COVERS ALL THE KEY ASPECTS OF THIS SHOW INCLUDING: SECONDARY CITIZENS BEING RACIALLY PERSECUTED, MECHS THAT LOOK LIKE SPIDERS AND A FEMALE LEADER WHO COMMANDS A TALENTED MALE ACE.
fyi, the LN for 86 started releasing around 2017-2018, just a year after the final OVA was released. So this concept isn't even original. It seems to me that it was directly borrowed off Akito the Exiled since nobody except me and a few other Code Geass devotees actually watched the show (go watch it, it's 100x better than 86). After watching Akito the Exiled, 86 feels like a cheap knockoff.
Jun 6, 2021 3:16 AM
Nov 2019
TweedleDane said:
Cattier said:

She got sad because they were running to their deaths not for themselves, That's why she was crying
as if they already werent in danger of death ? either way for them had death as a high possibilty . if they return to republic , the bigots would without doubt trump up some kind of bullshit to take away their lives .
so if anything going into the unknown is better than than the guarenteed one . and besides fearing for their safety is one thing , but lena herself knows how capable and strong this squad is , so concern for their safety is very likely not the main reason for her running and tumbling and crying and all .

like i said , its a situation seen through out in other anime as well . overdramatizing scenes is nothing new , and i will put this one aside as one of those as well.

People still cry even if they are happy and also here she is sad as they are leaving her behind .They were her only friends except Annette(who is grown distant lately)and now they are leaving her behind so of course she will sad ,lonely and desperate.
Jun 6, 2021 3:18 AM

Apr 2021
God tier direction. this episode is the peak of this anime. I can't get enough of mesmerizing ending theme!!!

Fall 2022 is the most Unforgettable anime season of all time

Jun 6, 2021 3:22 AM
Nov 2019
Albi-kun said:
LordSozin said:
So this is the climax, huh. Pretty underwhelming I would say. I have no emotional attachment watching this series thus far. It's handling its themes lackluster since it's not fully explored. Unless this is your first time experiencing prejudices, race, politics, etc in anime, this anime is nothing special. There are better ones out there and they do a better job with these themes and they were more prevalent in the narrative.

Overpraised? Yes. Bad? No. It's just average.

That is spot on. I couldn't have said it better.

How it is average? Anyways you guys need to read this article .
https://anitrendz.net/news/2021/06/03/privilege-and-discrimination-in-86-eighty-six/
Jun 6, 2021 3:38 AM
Oct 2013
theGodde said:
littlemitsuki said:

so because he's the main character all other characters can be ignored? The brother conflict probably took up about 1/3 of the runtime. There was still plenty of time to give the other characters some kind of development - even if it wasn't relation to Shin.

littlemitsuki said:

that is not at all the point. There has not been a single mention (ever) of the mortars being used in combat. There is no excuse why a nation would ban the use of effective weaponry during wartime. NOT A SINGLE EXCUSE. This is pure incompetence, and there is nothing wrong with admitting that. Even a dumbass can admit their favourite show is not perfect in every way.

littlemitsuki said:

the fact that they were sent to the front to die wasn't something we initially knew. All the development has been focused towards Shin's relationship with his brother. The desire to keep living is a motivation, but it is not a driving force. A driving force is a particular motivation or plot point that gives the show a direction or goal to lead up to. Shin's relationship with his brother climaxed in their final confrontation. That is what made it a driving force. Wanting to survive is not a driving force because it has no real direction that it is leading up to. It's just a motivation.
A show without a driving force loses steam and tends to become directionless and boring. However there are plenty of potential driving forces that they could choose to progress the story in future episodes. Which is why I said they will probably address this next episode.

littlemitsuki said:

Nice.

I like how you snipped out the bit where I said I liked the episode to frame the entire rebuttal and make it seem as if I illogically hated on the show for no reason. (tbf that may not have been your intention but that's how it reads). Almost every single episode I have critiqued this show. You can go back and check previous episode forums. I do not hate this show because it feels bad. I hate this show because I believe many key elements that make up the show's identity are fundamentally flawed.

A CODE GEASS OVA WAS RELEASED YEARLY SINCE 2012 CALLED BOUKOKO NO AKITO (AKITO THE EXILED) WHICH COVERS ALL THE KEY ASPECTS OF THIS SHOW INCLUDING: SECONDARY CITIZENS BEING RACIALLY PERSECUTED, MECHS THAT LOOK LIKE SPIDERS AND A FEMALE LEADER WHO COMMANDS A TALENTED MALE ACE.
fyi, the LN for 86 started releasing around 2017-2018, just a year after the final OVA was released. So this concept isn't even original. It seems to me that it was directly borrowed off Akito the Exiled since nobody except me and a few other Code Geass devotees actually watched the show (go watch it, it's 100x better than 86). After watching Akito the Exiled, 86 feels like a cheap knockoff.

Artillery is behind the minefield. It was shown in the anime while she was talking to her uncle with a diagram as well. They don't use it cause it would literally slow their whole goal of having the 86 die out within 2 years before the legion turn off, arty and minefield are for just in case they die out before the time, and to deter any 86 insurrection.

Akito the exile really wasn't better, especially not "100x". it literally has the same "problem" of focusing so much on akito more so than his squadron members that they arent really fleshed out ironically with a much more autistic brother plot but this time without the advantage of a long runtime to flesh characters out later like 86 gets as a LN (though as an anime it has a longer runtime). You and your code geass fanbois really aren't the only people noticing similarities between it and akito and im pretty sure asato herself even mentioned enjoying the show. I don't think i even saw anyone claim that its a completely original setting

Neion4ty7Jun 6, 2021 3:47 AM
Jun 6, 2021 3:42 AM

Mar 2014
Great action, it 's really cool but I still do not find the story and most of the character (especially the Spearhead squadron) interesting
Jun 6, 2021 3:47 AM

Feb 2014
Amazing episode especially the battle between Shin and his brother in the first half. And the OST on that battle was spot on. The 2nd half was also great, Lena transformation from an angel to a devil forcing Annette to help her.

"We're going ahead, Major". That was painful...

We are now down to the last two episodes of the 1st cour.
Jun 6, 2021 4:12 AM
Apr 2021
Neion4ty7 said:
theGodde said:

Artillery is behind the minefield. It was shown in the anime while she was talking to her uncle with a diagram as well. They don't use it cause it would literally slow their whole goal of having the 86 die out within 2 years before the legion turn off, arty and minefield are for just in case they die out before the time, and to deter any 86 insurrection.

Akito the exile really wasn't better, especially not "100x". it literally has the same "problem" of focusing so much on akito more so than his squadron members that they arent really fleshed out ironically with a much more autistic brother plot but this time without the advantage of a long runtime to flesh characters out later like 86 gets as a LN (though as an anime it has a longer runtime). You and your code geass fanbois really aren't the only people noticing similarities between it and akito and im pretty sure asato herself even mentioned enjoying the show. I don't think i even saw anyone claim that its a completely original setting

at best this is an incremental improvement on Akito
what I prefer about Akito is the more realistic portrayal of war and persecution (thanks to code geass actually having a world that makes sense). The characters are still better in that show since they make sense within the world. They actually behave in a mature way that suits their rank, unlike the characters of 86 who are emotionally indistinguishable from regular teens.

In all, I just don't think 86 can really justify its existence when Akito already exists. Why write this when the concept has already been done before? Why didn't the author at least attempt to significantly modify the characters in some way, or at least the damn mechs? This show would have been 10x better if the mechs were better designed. The combat in this anime is so awkward simply because of the mech design.

Also you don't need to look far to realise I'm not a fan of code geass. I just genuinely do not think 86 is a good piece of media.

As for the mortars, this at the end of the day is an issue with the story. Yes you are correct. It would hamper their ability to exterminate the 86. However why are they prioritising exterminating the 86 over winning the war? Do they think that the purification of their race takes priority over their own survival. I just read up on some 86 lore and wasn't the ORIGINAL REASON that the 86 were sent to prison camps because they needed to be used to WIN THE WAR? And the fact that they were classified as war criminals was just an excuse to use them as inhuman fighting tools? The logic behind the 86 imprisonment is completely circular. The 86 are imprisoned and forced to fight in order to win the war. But their extermination takes priority over winning the war. The author put absolutely zero thought into the war side of things and it shows.

Like I said before, sometimes you just don't need to justify a flaw. Even if you like something there is nothing wrong with admitting it has its mistakes
Jun 6, 2021 4:18 AM

Sep 2018
Neion4ty7 said:
theGodde said:

I commend your attempts to engage with these guys but they are clearly trolling.

The only other explanation is they have such poor comprehension skills that you will literally need to go through every episode with diagrams before they get how we got to here from there.

Do you want to give that much of your time to someone who is clearly just a hater.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jun 6, 2021 4:24 AM

Jan 2021
Amazing episode this week. Seeing Lena do that to Annette was one of the most satisfying things I've seen. The wait for season 2 is going to be unbearable.
Jun 6, 2021 4:49 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Shin and Rei scene was really heartbreaking but beautiful at the same time.
So Lena still joined Annette again but appeared to be harsher than I thought, Shin was really indeed Annette's childhood friend and she abandoned him twice.. and that last scene with Lena running in the street was also incredible, especially thanks to the OST, that "no signal" frame at the end though... they're back to their initial conditions
Jun 6, 2021 4:56 AM

Sep 2020
wow, this easily the best episode so far. i feel as though episode were so short because of how i enjoyed it. This episode clearly mark the moment where Lena doing everything she could do to help them. Risking her own life to sync real-time tactical info using PARA-RAID eye sight sync, risking her own career by doing what the military forbids, and forcing annete to do her bidding

i thought last episode will do the over-used trope of "my friend and your acquaintance are same, but we dont know that" for a long time, which many shows used for prolonged drama.

but SURPRISE, SURPRISE!

Lena actually found out about Shin being annete friend herself, and rather quickly. not only that, she used it as leverage to Annete to help her ensure (remaning) Spearhead squadron safety by any means necessary, for that short time. talk about the devil, because if annete didnt help , she will be wrecked by even stronger guilt. knowing this time the boy he knew will be dead for good if she didnt help.

Anyone know what red flower is that? and what it signifies ??
Jun 6, 2021 4:59 AM

Mar 2016
How should I say as novel reader, the combat part somehow not matching my imagination. It ended too fast. Thought there would be more trading between Shin and his brother, showing those liquid hands more actions or alike. The ending scene on second half is what takes too long imo. All those chatters watching Lena running around (3 minutes) can be cut around while also showing some credits perhaps so the ending scene of bird flying can be also shorter. Thus giving more time space for the combat scene and talk between Lena and Annette.

Jun 6, 2021 4:59 AM

Apr 2014
Albi-kun said:
Leonhart93 said:

I don't know how you guys watched this, but ever since the first episode I have been endlessly excited for every episode and every time it gets better and better. The characters, the action even Lena's tiny fidgety gestures while talking to them, all those always make me tingly for the next week.
And when the time to finally watch the next episode comes, I try to delay it as much as possible because I don't like how it all just joes by in an instant 😳.

And no, I haven't read the LN but I will definitely do it. I already got them on my kindle 😄.

The characters are bland as hell.

I think I know where your mind is going. I have seen someone on this very forum pointing the exact thing out for another episode, but basically there seems to be a group of anime watchers that don't view characters as "interesting" if their personality is not exaggerated in various ways, like giving big speeches about stuff like friendship or how they don't want to be oppressed or burst out in anger or joy at the very simplest stimulus. Or perhaps if they are not the extremely cold types that always pay back 120% of what the others have done to them.

Those are not the only interesting types of people. In fact those are so overdone they don't excite me anymore. Look around you, there are plenty of very interesting people that don't have immense outbursts of reaction all the time.
Jun 6, 2021 5:08 AM

May 2020
This was the best episode of the series so far precisely because the episodes before were boring and uninteresting(To me), and this episode was the same for the most part but is just a slight improvement. It's probably just because I am not that much interested in shows that tackles "heavy" political themes, so it tends to be hit or miss for me.
Jun 6, 2021 5:49 AM

Mar 2016
Never trust the quite ones, love shin going ape shit. Also what's the name of the song during shin crying?
caprisanJun 6, 2021 5:56 AM

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Jun 6, 2021 5:50 AM

Oct 2015
Re-watched it 5 times really, still feeling amazing by how godly everything in this episode.
Jun 6, 2021 5:55 AM

Apr 2014
Wdtm86 said:
Re-watched it 5 times really, still feeling amazing by how godly everything in this episode.

Yup, you get it, I did the same 😉
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

32 by KitsuFrost »»
May 1, 7:13 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2021

265 by AlisandoLob »»
May 1, 9:07 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2021

189 by Unni46nam »»
Apr 29, 7:13 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2021

295 by Unni46nam »»
Apr 29, 7:12 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2021

261 by Unni46nam »»
Apr 29, 7:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.