Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 4, 2021 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode just had a feeling of despair and sadness all over it. Among the usual themes, it seems Yume has really accepted her role in the show and the reality of their world.

Perhaps this episode is also setting forward to the road for the finale two episodes. Everyone is united and fighting under the same banner.
Jun 4, 2021 7:27 AM

Jul 2017
Oh wow...instead of the usual threat of the Kaiju Eugenicists' "Instance Domination", people and the city went vanishing instead by a Kaiju.

To see illusion dreams a-shining be reflected in their own individual past lives, this is one unique hella of a way to do flashbacks. With everyone other than Chise, Second and Yomogi being trapped in their past mess, it takes one's will to break the illusion of the chosen and bond them together.

The present day truth interconnected with the past: that's the case for Yomogi to lead Yume to stopping her older sister Kano against her suicidal fate; Koyomi's crush with the girl he likes; Gauma's history with the Kaiju Eugenicists (that we still don't know who Princess is); and Anti's vanishing disappearance (because they had to)...this is truly a BIG thank you to the Kaiju to link all those seemingly unrelated character stories together in a nice package.

At the end of the day, there's still a Kaiju to destroy, and the usual Tokusatsu hijinks ensue.

What an episode though, certainly one on par with whatever Gridman had back in the day (I mean the 2018 version) of this kind of storytelling.
Jun 4, 2021 8:04 AM

Jun 2020
I'm not really understand but YES. AMAZING. EPISODE.
Jun 4, 2021 8:09 AM

Mar 2019
The sudden downgrade on the art style really bugged me.
Jun 4, 2021 8:16 AM

Oct 2017
Everyone facing the memory they regretted the most and Yomogi simply being a chad and helping everyone was epic. Yomogi x Yume was strong af once again. I'm glad Yume finally got a closure on her past.

Great episode overall, the storytelling was simply amazing.
Jun 4, 2021 8:23 AM

Jan 2009
wow so much Kanada School of Animation im sure this episode is done by Kai Ikarashi like that famous episode 9 or 10 of SSSS.Gridman

so Yumes sister Kano accidentally died then
Jun 4, 2021 8:35 AM
Oct 2019
On this episode we can see all pilots past from Yume,Gauma and Koyomi. I think there is a traitor among Kaiju Eugenicist team and my prediction is Shizumu.
Jun 4, 2021 8:42 AM

Jan 2009
did Kai Ikarashi solo animated this episode? or he is just the main Animation Director? really love the animation style ye Kanada School
Jun 4, 2021 8:42 AM

Jul 2019
IKARASHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus what an episode, easily the best directed episode of the year and the art was also wonderfully ikarashi. Really liked seeing the sister plotline being wrapped up and the fact that her sister did NOT commit suicide is also something i really like, it just feels different. Whatever is going on with gauma is also really fucking cool, hope to see more next episode.

Tekmixer said:
You could say "sudden change on the art style" but not sudden downgrade, because its just wrong, the animation/art of this episode was some of the best in the show, and the change in art style was because an amazing animator called Kai Ikarashi storyboarded and was the animation director of the episode.
Jun 4, 2021 8:43 AM

Jul 2019
deg said:
did Kai Ikarashi solo animated this episode? or he is just the main Animation Director? really love the animation style ye Kanada School
He was the animation director, storyboarded the episode, and did some KA
Jun 4, 2021 8:45 AM

Oct 2016
The most impressive thing about this episode was not the episode itself, but that I found out that several people on streaming sites did not know that Anti=Knight and only now with this episode they make the correlation.
Just one of the comments I saw

the most interesting for me was Knight, when he was shown as a child I remembered the kaijuu boy from Gridman, I don't remember much about him, but I remember that he lived on the street and starved, Knight apparently suffered from the same thing, and their designer children are very similar...

Brain stuff.
lOgREWAnJun 4, 2021 8:53 AM
Jun 4, 2021 8:45 AM

Jan 2009
VP2003boi said:
deg said:

oh ok so a Solo Episode? or just almost?
Jun 4, 2021 8:54 AM

Jul 2019
deg said:
VP2003boi said:

Nope, he just corrected a lot of other people's work so it seem like his, there are a lot of KA's in the episode
Jun 4, 2021 8:55 AM

Jan 2009
VP2003boi said:
deg said:

Nope, he just corrected a lot of other people's work so it seem like his, there are a lot of KA's in the episode

ah ok thanks for the info
Jun 4, 2021 8:55 AM
Nov 2020
Yomogi channeling his inner Kamina in the Infinite Labyrinth.

I wonder what Kano was yelling about at the end. Heck, the fact that she was yelling at all after Yume left is weird; guessing she was real.
pygmalion0451Jun 4, 2021 9:04 AM
Jun 4, 2021 8:58 AM

Jan 2009
thenewguy512739 said:
Yomogi channeling his inner Kamina in the Infinite Laberynth.

I wonder what Kano was yelling about at the end. Heck, the fact that she was yelling at all after Yume left is weird; guessing she was real.

so its an actual Alternate Timelines Multiverse stuff rather than a Dream?
Jun 4, 2021 8:58 AM

Oct 2020
A pretty interesting kaiju in this episode. Making people disappear and making them experience their past was a huge aspect in this episode. So, I guess Kano's death was really an accident. We got to understand the characteristics of each character even more now. I'd say that this episode was pretty sweet.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2021 9:04 AM
Nov 2020
Having the shadows stay when they disappear like with a nuke is haunting.
Jun 4, 2021 9:06 AM

Feb 2019
What an episode!! Definitely the best yet, gave me a lot of TTGL vibes like when the spiral king put everyone in that dream state and Simon has to get them all out. Yume x Yomogi vibes were strong today, I’m glad Yume got the closure she needed too. The ankhs coming apart signifying she can finally start living her own life. I’m still a little confused on Gauma’s back story, they were betrayed, 5000 years ago.. but how? With those clothes? Need more clarification.
Jun 4, 2021 9:09 AM

Mar 2019
VP2003boi said:
Tekmixer said:
You could say "sudden change on the art style" but not sudden downgrade, because its just wrong, the animation/art of this episode was some of the best in the show, and the change in art style was because an amazing animator called Kai Ikarashi storyboarded and was the animation director of the episode.

I just don't like it when an anime has that one episode where characters look a lot more derpy than usual and there is a lot of animation going on but it looks sketchy. Just my opinion since I prefer consistency.
Jun 4, 2021 9:20 AM

Jul 2019
Tekmixer said:
VP2003boi said:

I just don't like it when an anime has that one episode where characters look a lot more derpy than usual and there is a lot of animation going on but it looks sketchy. Just my opinion since I prefer consistency.
Although i disagree, i wont judge as that opinion is also quite fair
Jun 4, 2021 9:32 AM
Apr 2020
Marinate1016 said:
I’m still a little confused on Gauma’s back story, they were betrayed, 5000 years ago.. but how? With those clothes? Need more clarification.

Gauma's story is based on a specific monster-of-the-week episode from the original 90s Gridman series,
Jun 4, 2021 9:33 AM

Feb 2019
zz2000 said:
Marinate1016 said:
I’m still a little confused on Gauma’s back story, they were betrayed, 5000 years ago.. but how? With those clothes? Need more clarification.

Gauma's story is based on a specific monster-of-the-week plotline from the original 90s Gridman series,

So gauma is the mummy or it’s just loosely inspired?
Jun 4, 2021 9:37 AM
Apr 2020
Marinate1016 said:
zz2000 said:

Gauma's story is based on a specific monster-of-the-week plotline from the original 90s Gridman series,

So gauma is the mummy or it’s just loosely inspired?

Likely loosely inspired (there was no eugenicist crew in the original episode); unless new info comes up later on.
Jun 4, 2021 9:41 AM

Oct 2018
Holy shit, what a great episode.
I cried, is it normal?
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jun 4, 2021 9:44 AM

Aug 2020
what a damn good ep . the trigger monster ikarashi himself came in blasted this out of the woods .
and damn that gauma past looks rough . i was about to flip out when i saw mugina lying dead . and that anti past ...... oh i remember that.....

and lads take a look at this !!!
https://twitter.com/chugaionline/status/1400361622070202373

GOD BLESS TRIGGER

TweedleDaneJun 4, 2021 10:29 AM
Jun 4, 2021 9:48 AM
Sep 2015
This episode is the closest to Gurren Lagann in similarity.
Jun 4, 2021 9:49 AM
Apr 2020
TweedleDane said:
what a damn good ep . the trigger monster ikarashi himself came in blasted this out of the woods .
and damn that gauma past looks rough . i was about to flip out when i saw mugina lying dead . and that anti past ...... oh i remember that.....

GOD BLESS TRIGGER

Ah yes, the collaboration with that Japanese desserts buffet chain.
https://matcha-jp.com/en/5718
Jun 4, 2021 9:53 AM

Aug 2020
This was the most impactful episode until now. So many feelings and stories connected... I'm baffled. When the OP credits started to show without the Opening, I knew things would get more serious. I had a bit of dejavu regarding those sci-fi's (Lain, S;G) when I watched this episode.

I thought at first that they would change what happened in the present, with their actions in the "new past", but that's not the way it might have worked. While Gridman focused more on battles (with character development, of course), Dynazenon puts more effort on the second. I noticed this since episode 1. Great show.

Jun 4, 2021 9:59 AM

Aug 2020
TweedleDane said:

GOD BLESS TRIGGER

Is this some competition? Sorry, I didn't get it. But it seems very interesting. They are charming in these clothes

Jun 4, 2021 10:03 AM

Jan 2009
TweedleDane said:

GOD BLESS TRIGGER

damn Mujina best girl but im starting to like Kano too

Jun 4, 2021 10:10 AM
Apr 2020
Kitsugatari said:
TweedleDane said:

GOD BLESS TRIGGER

Is this some competition? Sorry, I didn't get it. But it seems very interesting. They are charming in these clothes

Not a competition, but a promotion with a Japanese dessert buffet restaurant chain.

You can buy limited edition merchandise (the main cast in various waiter outfits) and themed desserts.
https://www.sweets-paradise.jp/collaboration/dynazenon
Jun 4, 2021 10:31 AM

Aug 2020
For the stans of chise and minami as well.
Jun 4, 2021 10:46 AM
Nov 2017
I'm glad that akane shinjo isn't the princess,and that will probably be the only cameo from her. Keeping the best from SSSS. Gridman.
Jun 4, 2021 10:52 AM
Apr 2020
Volante said:
I'm glad that akane shinjo isn't the princess,and that will probably be the only cameo from her. Keeping the best from SSSS. Gridman.

To quote Amemiya Akira in this interview:

"SSSS.Gridman ended itself nicely, so the staff as a whole wanted to try new things (in Dynazenon) that we hadn’t done there. Akane’s story reached its conclusion, so her coming back would mean breaking our promise with the viewers, which we didn’t want to do. If we were going to make something new, we wanted to respect that. We intentionally restricted ourselves in places like that, challenging ourselves to create something just as interesting as SSSS.Gridman using only the Dyna Dragon."
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2021/05/31/ssss-gridman-and-ssss-dynazenon-interview-series-director-akira-amemiya-on-the-franchises-production-and-style/
Jun 4, 2021 10:55 AM
Nov 2017
zz2000 said:
Volante said:

To quote Amemiya Akira in this interview:

"SSSS.Gridman ended itself nicely, so the staff as a whole wanted to try new things (in Dynazenon) that we hadn’t done there. Akane’s story reached its conclusion, so her coming back would mean breaking our promise with the viewers, which we didn’t want to do. If we were going to make something new, we wanted to respect that. We intentionally restricted ourselves in places like that, challenging ourselves to create something just as interesting as SSSS.Gridman using only the Dyna Dragon."
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2021/05/31/ssss-gridman-and-ssss-dynazenon-interview-series-director-akira-amemiya-on-the-franchises-production-and-style/
precisely. This is also a good move by akira since newcomers will be curious of the "anti's mysterious flashback character" and watch SSSS.Gridman
Jun 4, 2021 11:33 AM

Oct 2008
You know, at this point, I'm kinda liking Dynazenon more than Gridman. (^.^') The standout moment for me this episode is the reveal that Kano's death was really an accident. Everything Yume did (the investigation, the interviews, etc...) was just a way for her to rationalize Kano's death as a coping mechanism. She needs to have something to blame it on. The beautiful thing is that, now that she has friends, she doesn't need to be haunted by the ghost of her sister any more. This was rather beautifully paralleled and foreshadowed with Yume herself accidentally falling off the roof in a previous episode (trying to hold on to the only memento she had left of her sister's), but unlike with Kano, who distanced herself from others, there was someone there to catch her (both literally and figuratively).

Simply amazing. Not to mention, dat Akane cameo freaking destroyed me. I love her way too much. On one hand, I really applaud them for not relying too much on Gridman, but fuck I want to see more of her so, so damn badly.
Jun 4, 2021 12:06 PM

Feb 2012
Yo, this is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann episode 26 all over again and I love it. My suspicions on Gauma and the princess's identity was confirmed. Amazing how the lore of this show just comes from a single episode of the original tokusatsu.

00:00 Looks like Sizumu planned all of this.
01:51 "Which memories do you regret?" is the episode title. Yume has several regarding Kano; not knowing her enough during life, not knowing what caused her death, not preventing her death etc. Dyna Wing is a reminder to her that she is being trapped by the kaiju.
02:46 Knight princess-carrying The Second! Gauma taking beatings from Knight has become a running gag Rolling on the floor laughing (Yomogi is also a victim in one of the Voice Dramas).
Knight is then taken by the Kaiju, which memories does he regret?
03:04 He is taken to this memory of being fed by his creator Akane, back when he was Anti. What does regret about this? That he didn't save Akane earlier? That he didn't spend enough time with Akane?
04:03 Koyomi''s regret was not running away with his crush Inamoto when she found the bag of money.
04:23 Gauma's regrets are in a memory from 5000 years ago with the other Kaiju Eugenicists (except Sizumu). They mention the Princess.
4:47 There she is, the Ancient Chinese Princess, with two Kaiju (dragons?) behind her. Gauma being the mummy from Gridman The Hyper Agent is more or less confirmed now.
05:06 Yomogi's the only one that entered through the mouth. But he still gets caught up in a memory; he states his regret to be not saying no to his mother inviting Kamijo over for dinner. He is quickly reminded to save the others by the presence of Dyna Soldier.
05:38 Brilliant animation from Kai Ikarashi this episode. Especially having to match the scenes like that.
10:44 This part between Kano and Yume really reminds me of Kamina and Simon's reunion in the multiverse labyrinth.
12:54 Yomogi finds his supervisor in Koyomi's memories.
14:16 It is said that the mummy (Gauma) controlled dragons (Kaiju) to protect the Princess's country and was poisoned because the royal family feared his power.
16:01 Anti/Knight handled his own memory without Yomogi's assistance.
19:29 Epic group shot
20:20 Kaiser Gridknight Circular, a scaled up Gridknight Circular attack using Dyna Saber. This can be seen as the ultimate version of Anti's buzzsaw (based on Rodimus Prime's buzzsaw).
20:48 Was this a false awakening for Gauma? Was it because he didn't do things differently in his memory like all the others did? Was it the Ankhs?
Fortress_MaximusJun 6, 2021 4:34 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 4, 2021 1:03 PM

Jul 2015
That art change may have made the whole episode felt a bit weird.. but the silent to almost no music for almost 2/3rd of the anime was a nice change.. and it made their flashback felt mysterious yet informative to know enough things meant to be learned..
Also.. Mujika saw Gauma.. and her interactions with Gauma in Gauma's flashback arouse suspicions that Mujika had feelings? also.. that dark browned euguenicst wasn't in the flashback.. hmm
Jun 4, 2021 1:21 PM

Jun 2013
What a masterpiece of an episode.

VP2003boi said:
IKARASHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus what an episode, easily the best directed episode of the year and the art was also wonderfully ikarashi. Really liked seeing the sister plotline being wrapped up and the fact that her sister did NOT commit suicide is also something i really like, it just feels different. Whatever is going on with gauma is also really fucking cool, hope to see more next episode.

Tekmixer said:

Exactly the same thoughts.
MrMushinJun 4, 2021 1:25 PM
Jun 4, 2021 2:10 PM

Aug 2011
I enjoyed the art style, not so much the animation itself, I think a little bit more of budget would have been beneficial.

In any case, amazing episode, incredibly directed; it got pretty dark fast but it is a good promise of how the story will end I guess.

» Escapism.

Jun 4, 2021 2:12 PM

Jan 2009
Kenchiin said:
I enjoyed the art style, not so much the animation itself, I think a little bit more of budget would have been beneficial.

Unlimited Budget Works is just a meme forget about it

this kind of low frame rate or variable frame rate animation style with deformed art styles on characters is called Kanada School of Animation
Jun 4, 2021 2:19 PM

Aug 2011
deg said:

this kind of low frame rate or variable frame rate animation style with deformed art styles on characters is called Kanada School of Animation

It has its charm, undoubtedly. Fluid animation doesn't mean good anime, I agree with you.
I still think a few more frame rates here and there would have made the trick for me. Just a preference.

» Escapism.

Jun 4, 2021 2:22 PM

Nov 2012
Episode of the year contender, fantastic work by Kai Ikarashi. The reception for this episode seem to be quite good, except for some outliers that disliked the experimental nature of his style.
Jun 4, 2021 2:30 PM
Apr 2018
This was so good!! Really sad to see this show coming to an end so soon though :(
Jun 4, 2021 2:37 PM
Jul 2019
I think that the style of this episode really match with the topic of it, for sure the best episode ‘til now, also I loved the flashback of Anti in Gridman. I’m liking where is this going.
Jun 4, 2021 3:25 PM

Jul 2011
The episode was great, the animation strangely felt the most TRIGGER traditional of all episodes.

Gave a little about of some past,but was a disappointing episode too.
Yomogi part was meh, if you look at of all was the least meaningful past. Chise story would be interesting.

The Minami sisters story,if this is really the end of the story, felt like climb a mountain and at the top you see that had an elevator to get to the top. Sure, brought closure. But with that build up over 9 episodes, felt unfulfilling.
Jun 4, 2021 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
Really well directed and visually interesting episode but a massive far cry from the equivalent “Dream” episode in Gridman.

Yume getting closure over her sister's death in this way feels… kind of wrong? It felt like the show was going the route of her just not being able to find out what happened there and having to move forward regardless, but here she’s straight up told “Nah it wasn’t suicide, don’t worry about it”.

I still don’t quite get what Koyomi's story is meant to be about. Is he basically just pining over a high school love who wasn’t the best person? His story feels massively undercooked.

RIP Chise's hopes and dreams of actually getting a proper arc I guess. Guess she’s fine with her worth as a part of the team being intrinsically linked to being able to contribute to fights.

Yogomi continues to basically just be the audience surrogate, which is weird because in the first episode he had that whole thing with his new stepfather which hasn’t been brought up again?

It’s weird because in a way the show is hitting a lot of the right notes coming from Gridman, but in terms of overall themes and story focus it feels like it’s not even trying. Gridman was excellent because it presented as a regular monster of the week show that eventually opened up to being a very different type of story about something you didn’t expect, whereas Dynazenon feels like it’s content just being a regular giant monster show, despite the fact it’s seemingly set up heaps of threads that feel like they’re going somewhere but then don’t.
Jun 4, 2021 3:55 PM
Jul 2018
CoOloKey said:

the most interesting for me was Knight, when he was shown as a child I remembered the kaijuu boy from Gridman, I don't remember much about him, but I remember that he lived on the street and starved, Knight apparently suffered from the same thing, and their designer children are very similar...

Brain stuff.

NGL I got through that whole first episode without realising that Knight actually was Anti, but I’m baffled as to how anyone could watch this episode and not make the link.
Jun 4, 2021 4:51 PM

May 2020
I was really excited coming into this episode having heard that this episode would be made by the same people who worked on the amazing episode 9 of Gridman, and it certainly didn't disappoint. I really liked how much of the cast's past was explored this week with the scene between Yume and her sister being the highlight for me. Also enjoyed the cameos and references to Gridman this episode, like Akane showing up in Anti's past and the weapon Gridknight used to defeat the kaiju bearing great semblance to the circular saw weapon Anti used back in Gridman.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Dynazenon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2021

121 by gannoncannon55 »»
Feb 25, 11:53 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Dynazenon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 28, 2021

63 by gannoncannon55 »»
Feb 25, 10:41 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Dynazenon Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 21, 2021

58 by gannoncannon55 »»
Feb 25, 10:08 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Dynazenon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

58 by gannoncannon55 »»
Feb 25, 9:43 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Dynazenon Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

80 by gannoncannon55 »»
Feb 25, 9:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.