Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Is Mecha Design so weird.?
May 11, 2021 11:35 PM
May 2021
When few people said this Aots but having a weird jurgonout horse mecha Design put me off..
So What do you think about it.?

Mod Edit: Removed baiting in poll.

As well please try to keep the discussion civil and stay on topic.
KuniiMay 15, 2021 7:17 PM
May 11, 2021 11:48 PM
Jan 2021
Yes it is weird but i actually like it because it's unique.....
May 11, 2021 11:55 PM

Jan 2021
Angel_crush1 said:
Yes it is weird but i actually like it because it's unique.....

I agree with you dude.
May 12, 2021 12:03 AM
Mar 2021
Normal because the design inspired by animals. The weird ones are those unrealistic mecha designs.
May 12, 2021 1:06 AM
Dec 2020
I think its unique cause its different with any other Mecha anime even tho at start it feel weird because it looks like a spider Mecha
May 12, 2021 1:43 AM
Apr 2021
yes a little bit but anime is kinda good
May 12, 2021 1:50 AM

Oct 2017
Really? For me, I didn't even find it weird, in fact I thought it was more of a realistic sci-fi design to be honest. Its based on the movement of spiders which we can all relate to in some degree as we've seen them, seems fairly natural considering that.
May 12, 2021 1:52 AM

Feb 2019
Techncially, the case could be made that they're not actually Mecha, since their design instead resembles limb-articulated turrets. Though the term is of course vague on what counts and what doesn't.

Altogether they're boring. It's hard to get a good read on their motion, there's barely any differentiation between units, and overall just uninspired. Proper Mecha would be a lot more interesting to watch.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
May 12, 2021 1:59 AM

Oct 2017
Thigh_Tide said:
Techncially, the case could be made that they're not actually Mecha, since their design instead resembles limb-articulated turrets. Though the term is of course vague on what counts and what doesn't.

Altogether they're boring. It's hard to get a good read on their motion, there's barely any differentiation between units, and overall just uninspired. Proper Mecha would be a lot more interesting to watch.

I agree I think for the sake of differentiation, knowing who is piloting which juggernaut, would've been nice to have some differing colours added. But I guess for the realism factor there shouldn't be considering they are part of the military and military machines are homogeneous.
May 12, 2021 2:50 AM
Jan 2021
I have to disagree, actually it is pretty realistic since they have to face different types of terrain in a lot of battles, the sort of spider legs that is used as a mean to move the mecha actually comes in pretty handy.
Hot_Green_TeaMay 12, 2021 3:40 AM
May 12, 2021 2:59 AM

Apr 2020
No, but even if it is, it's not a big deal to put me off
May 12, 2021 3:01 AM

Jul 2020
Absolutely.I never got any mecha vibes from this show but the action sequence is so lit tho.
Hot_Green_Tea said:
I have to disagree, actually it is pretty realistic since they have to face different types of terrain in a lot of battles, the sort of spider legs that is used as a mean to move the mecha actually comes in pretty handy.

Also, how old are you?5? Since you base your argument purely on looks(which also based on your own taste).

Your argument sounded like a mature adult until when you were age shaming op.That wasn't necessary at all.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 12, 2021 3:39 AM
Jan 2021
Scordolo said:
Absolutely.I never got any mecha vibes from this show but the action sequence is so lit tho.
Hot_Green_Tea said:

Also, how old are you?5? Since you base your argument purely on looks(which also based on your own taste).

Your argument sounded like a mature adult until when you were age shaming op.That wasn't necessary at all.

You're right, was kinda a bit pissed when I wrote that.
May 12, 2021 5:04 AM
Oct 2020
it looks good and unique those humanoid mechs are too boring i'm sick of them yeah i'm a fanboy
ReinariaMay 12, 2021 5:08 AM
May 12, 2021 5:05 AM

Oct 2015
It feels weird maybe because we're too accustomed with mecha = humanoid bipedal robot, and also there's very little mecha with quadrupedal and animal-like / insect-like design in either anime or movies

Still, I think the jugs were more a quadruped tank than a mecha tbh..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2021 5:30 AM

Mar 2016
One of the things I like about 86 is that the mecha are not typical humanoid 2-legged robots which is refreshing.

Also some say is no difference between the mechas, but legion literally have different classes.
There is ameise class, grauwolf, and löwe as well as the eintagsfliege.
Ameise are scout types. They double also as vanguard units and can act as spotters for long range units like Skorpion gunner types and löwes.
Grauwolf are more combat oriented especially in close range with their 2 front blades.
Then we have the löwe tank type which packs power in its turret and thick armor. Those are usually at the rear.
We have yet to see if the legion have even more classes.

Then again, mecha action was never the main focus, or should I say the most compelling part, of 86.
Shishou_23May 12, 2021 5:35 AM
May 12, 2021 5:47 AM

Jan 2020
I'd say it's more a futuristic tank than a Mecha
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
May 12, 2021 5:56 AM

Sep 2020
nope,even franxx one of the most shittiest mecha out there,had cool designs
May 12, 2021 6:08 AM

Jan 2020
yeah its very weird and unique, thats why i like it
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
May 12, 2021 6:13 AM
Jun 2019
When you look at how great their maneuverability is, the design makes a lot of sense and looks menacingly cool as hell at the same time.
May 12, 2021 6:49 AM
Feb 2020
Spider-mech, spider-mech
Does what a spider can

Also the main focus of the anime is the characters not the spider-mechs
May 12, 2021 7:21 AM
Dec 2019
You mean the Juggernauts? They look amazing imo
May 12, 2021 7:35 AM
Nov 2020
Yeah the mecha designs are definitely different, but that’s a really good thing. The spider like designs of all the Juggernauts allow for quick, agile action while giving viewers a unique perspective. Imo it’s more fun to watch these types of mechas vs humanoid, bipedal mechs.

Also the Juggernauts just look cool af
May 12, 2021 7:38 AM
Apr 2021
i actually like the mecha design, is simple, nothing too massive and seems realistic thinking on terms of power and speed, this show is one of the not so many proof that cgi can be done right (IMO)
May 13, 2021 3:55 AM
Oct 2017
I've been a fan of tanks for the longest time and I reckon these mechs resemble tanks more than they do mechs. So I guess that's why I like them.
May 13, 2021 3:57 AM
Oct 2017
kljy said:
Normal because the design inspired by animals. The weird ones are those unrealistic mecha designs.
Yeah, I agree. But sometimes it's worth taking unrealistic liberties in order to make something look really cool.
May 13, 2021 3:39 PM
May 2020
I prefer it than the generic human-like body mechas
May 13, 2021 3:41 PM

Jan 2020
I'm surprised people don't like it. I thought it looks pretty good the way it is

May 13, 2021 3:50 PM

Oct 2017
I like the spider tanks they are pretty unique. In general it would be cool to see more mecha that isn't giant robots. I think the Legion designs especially are pretty cool and sleek.
May 13, 2021 4:48 PM
Jan 2015
I like them, especially the Legion units. They're unique designs compared to other rmecha and if you really think about it, they're more realistic and practical than humanoid mechs.
My Queens

May 13, 2021 7:02 PM

Jan 2020
they look really bad maybe they shouldn't have used term mecha because even franxx looks better than this
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2021 7:53 PM
Oct 2020
Avinash_rtw said:
they look really bad maybe they shouldn't have used term mecha because even franxx looks better than this
Idk why humanoid mecha looks good to some people to me they are boring I wouldn't have watched it if it was like other mecha
May 14, 2021 5:02 AM

Jan 2020
futureviewer said:
Avinash_rtw said:
Idk why humanoid mecha looks good to some people to me they are boring I wouldn't have watched it if it was like other mecha
artwork of them are you know much better than in 86.we haven't got any good action sequence well it's only 5ep humanoid mecha are like fantastic dream of ultimate weapon to wield by their body that's why they have wide appeal

In simple words they looks cool compared to 86 tank
May 14, 2021 5:10 AM
May 2008
Avinash_rtw said:
futureviewer said:
artwork of them are you know much better than in 86.we haven't got any good action sequence well it's only 5ep humanoid mecha are like fantastic dream of ultimate weapon to wield by their body that's why they have wide appeal

86 tanks, the juggernauts are not supposed to look good/cool. You'll find out why, but they look like this on purpose.
May 14, 2021 6:05 AM

Jul 2008
I can understand why someone would think these are "strange mecha designs," but that's mainly because it isn't meant to be a mecha show. The designs are supposed to be a bit more like a realistic upgrades or futurist takes on old and existing military vehicles. It isn't supposed to look like Gundam, Code Geass, or Darling in the Franxx, etc. etc. type mecha. It's meant to be more realistic, and the Juggernauts in particular are supposed to be very cheaply made with rushed production that physically strains the pilots and frequently breaks, making them exceedingly dangerous to pilot. And for the most part, repairs for the units need to be made with scrap metal that is found on the battlefield, so they can't be that complex. As for the Legion, the show really hasn't introduced that many of the models yet (some of the ones introduced later are quite unique), but they are meant to be easily replicated and functional in that they are more designed to be like unmanned versions of existing military equipment like tanks, artillery guns, and aerial drones rather than pseudo human shaped fantasy designs that aren't practical in reality. They've actually done a good job animating the models and drawings that are shown in the LN, but for someone who wants to watch a mecha show more than a military sci-if, I can see how the designs would be off putting.
May 14, 2021 8:36 AM
Feb 2019
The mech is more realistic than weird, if mech is close to real life physics, that one is surely the closest unlike bipedal mechs, which is more expensive and doesn't actually move like a martial artist. Just look at the bipedal mech in Japan, it moves like a CGI
May 14, 2021 8:43 AM
Feb 2019
Thigh_Tide said:

I consider 86 as a war drama than a mecha. The mechs aren't the star of this show and that's a lot of misconception of other ppl about this series. Im glad this series has a realistic take ( Boring and uninspired my ass) than an absurd one.
May 14, 2021 8:55 AM
Feb 2019
Avinash_rtw said:
futureviewer said:

They look cool, for a toddler. Mecha isn't even its main genre of 86, it just happens it used robots as its weapons of war. Darling in the franxx has good artwork but not for a mech, really boobs on the mech ang can talk, is that what you call a mech. I think its more like a giant lady on a Power Ranger suit than a robot.
UserAnonymous117May 14, 2021 9:00 AM
May 14, 2021 11:23 AM

Jul 2017
Yeah, it's weird and ugly. but once you (or at least me) looked into the upcoming model kit that Bandai will release, I think I might wanna build one for myself 'cause it's so unique lmao.

Anime-wise, I think it's more into a realistic approach where the design kinda makes sense (compare to Gundam and other mecha of course) for the battlefield where the war takes place.
May 14, 2021 11:25 AM
Jul 2020
its not something you will want as a collection like gundam.
But cgi wise it look good in anime
May 14, 2021 6:02 PM

Nov 2017
When you look at some of the real world robot designs,these aren't weird at all,they make a lot of sense,the same as exosuit/power armor designs make a lot of sense.An exo suit or power armor design would likely follow the same as humanoid or bipedal,but is usually slow and limited in scope and movement since its designed to boost the wearer,whereas a multi-legged design is ideal for traversal of various terrain types since it's more piloted.
Look at the legion,spider like mostly,which enables speed and good lateral movement,the juggernauts are a prime example of this.
You only need to look at the maneuverabilty of spiders to see this in action,such as jumping spiders and wolf spiders(and Kumoko :)

RebelPandaSFan said:
its not something you will want as a collection like gundam.
But cgi wise it look good in anime
I'd be more than happy to have a juggernaut as a model,I think the look cool,esp battleworn!

Leirza said:
Yeah, it's weird and ugly. but once you (or at least me) looked into the upcoming model kit that Bandai will release, I think I might wanna build one for myself 'cause it's so unique lmao.

OH MY GOD! - Thanks for this info,now I want one!

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
KuniiMay 15, 2021 7:14 PM
May 15, 2021 6:14 AM

May 2009
They look like the ones from Sora no Woto
May 15, 2021 8:35 AM
Jan 2020
kljy said:
well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 15, 2021 10:02 AM

Apr 2019
"no because fanboys always say no"? People have different tastes, accept that.
my life was made with mematic.
May 15, 2021 10:37 AM

Jan 2021
I think wierd or unique doesnt matter as long as it fits the concept of the show
May 15, 2021 11:22 AM

Nov 2015
bastek66 said:
They look like the ones from Sora no Woto

Looks like I'm not the only one who still remember that show huh?
May 17, 2021 8:40 AM

Dec 2020
is there such thing as "weird" in mecha? they're robots. they can look like hatsune miku to a literal dog and i wouldnt see a problem. the robots here specifically are designed with animals as their inspirations, spiders, ants, etc. personally i think they look pretty damn sick. there's also some more little detailed info on them in the novel if you're curious
May 17, 2021 7:37 PM
Feb 2019
lizzziziz said:
is there such thing as "weird" in mecha? they're robots. they can look like hatsune miku to a literal dog and i wouldnt see a problem. the robots here specifically are designed with animals as their inspirations, spiders, ants, etc. personally i think they look pretty damn sick. there's also some more little detailed info on them in the novel if you're curious
Exactly, do you think robots look like humanoids or some shit.

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

242 by ILLARX »»
Apr 24, 1:00 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

458 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 16, 8:40 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

380 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 14, 10:42 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

430 by grizmuth »»
Apr 5, 5:57 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

24 by SSRSyt »»
Apr 3, 10:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.