Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 29, 2021 2:18 AM

Sep 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Overall was an okay series and the animation throughout the whole show was outstanding but it obviously had many problems with it. I didn't expect the show to take the kind of tone it did. If there's a second season, I'd prob still watch it still. Seeing Yasuku fight was amazing and the transitions from the past to present was really well done.
TyrelApr 29, 2021 4:35 PM
Apr 29, 2021 3:49 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This show feels like a case where nobody told the writers "No". That isn't always a bad thing, but like everything in life, there needs to be a balance. The crazy powers that kept being put on display just got more and more ridiculous as time went on.

Yasuke introduced itself as a historical set piece in a fictional universe tied to the story of Nobunaga, but that really didn't come into play much the more the story went on. It was more of an excuse to use recognized names for their fantasy action series.

Another possible detractor is the short run time. With more run time, they could have delved more into the past timeline to flesh out the world and characters, but with as little as we got, it almost seemed unnecessary. Plus, the pacing was erratically fast. With a full cour, the insane whiplash of events could have been mitigated and felt more natural, but how it turned out, it feels like entire plot lines were either skimmed over or completely forgotten about.

In the end, I think what the main problem was that the worlds of the historical samurai mixed with the fictional fantasy weren't meshed well. Yeah, the characters needed some more work too, but all of the weird power elements in that dated setting really took me out of it.

That being said, I enjoyed the show and the animation and music were pretty good, and I will even look forward to a potential sequel, but I don't think I will re-watch this when I can just re-watch Samurai Champloo and Afro Samurai.
Apr 29, 2021 4:50 AM
Aug 2017
Really liked this anime but i have some problems with the ending. Too many powers and in general sci fi and not a lot of actual historical stuff. it felt more like we are using yasuke's name just for attention. but that does not mean i did not like the outcome. animations were mostly nice and i really liked the music of the show. for me it was a solid 8/10 and i hope we get a second season with maybe a few more episodes.
Apr 29, 2021 5:03 AM
Apr 2020
6.5/10.episode 4-6 kinda fell off 💀. The animation is great, the ost is amazing and the story... It's alright I guess.
Apr 29, 2021 5:22 AM

Apr 2020
This anime is so dissapointing, the concept is great but why do they have to add robots it ruin the immersion of the show. If the technology is that advance, guns must have already been introduce to the world but no I haven't seen it. It would be great if it's just magic since it would work in older times but robot hell nah.
Apr 29, 2021 5:43 AM

May 2015
Genuinely liked this show despite some problems regarding suspension of disbelief (I'm not really a fan of the concept of historical figures getting retconned as it's mostly ends up in disservice).

However, I think this wouldve worked better if it had a longer runtime so that it can flesh out the story better. Overall, 8/10.

Those with dirty minds will find my Steam pic offensive
Apr 29, 2021 9:45 AM

Feb 2011
The music was just amazing, thats one of the best aspects from this series for me!
The animation was solid, some scenes are better than others but overral the fight scenes were really satisfying.
It's been a while since i have watched a sengoku series so i quite enjoyed my evening watching this it. And it was refreshing as well for the fact Yasuke was there. I'm used to having robots/mechas/powers on sengoku series at this point so it didn't feel that off to me, as i'm seeing some people not liking that.

Also i must point out, i liked how the "flashback" scenes were introduced and replayed through the series. Like that scene from episode 3(when the flashback was mixed with Yasuke's current situation), that was really beautiful. Although i didn't enjoy as much that on this final episode, with Oda&Natsume again.

It was a satisfying ending after all. It would be cool if they continue the series to see more of Yasuke and his resolve, now that he dealt with his past which used to torment him.

PS: There's still a scene post-credits!
Apr 29, 2021 11:00 AM

Feb 2020
When I read magic and mecha, I expected something entirely different. I never thought they thought they would bring up a all star team of beast boy (female version), vixen(male version), scarlet witch (at least costume wise) and a Iron monger. Not to mention we even had a glimpse of Xavier School, Xavier and jean grey astral plane bonding moment and even few transformers to add up. Finally villan turned out to be madam Web!!!...lol
I mean that's kind of stretching the meaning of magic and mecha too far.
They even had that "batman ninja" giant mecha fight scene in the finale.

Also, Initially I thought the boy in the beginning was supposed to be a important character, but he was no one really noteworthy

keeping that aside, yasuke character and past were pretty cool, animation was also solid. Ost was very good.

Overall not very good, still decent. 6/10 (I really was expecting something else)

this anime kind of reminds me of ninja scroll tv series

AdampkApr 29, 2021 11:05 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 29, 2021 11:00 AM

Jul 2019
The final fight was where the budget went to lmao.

Found it funny how Disney Princess mode can work here. Legit thought Yasuke would die tho.

That was a p dumb anime ngl. Story and characters were handles so poorly and the audiovisual were lackluster. Sad but it is what it is.
Apr 29, 2021 1:40 PM

Dec 2019
Dogshit anime. I honestly believe that the creator entirely wanted to capitalize off the fact that the MC is a POC for it to gain popularity. I don't know why they didn't just make an adaptation of the real story of Yasuke instead of this generic unimpressive garbage.
Edit: Sorry not a POC MC considering Asians are POC. An African MC.
KayY_YApr 29, 2021 1:51 PM
Apr 29, 2021 1:48 PM

Nov 2015
Xesty17 said:
I honestly believe that the creator entirely wanted to capitalize off the fact that the MC is a POC for it to gain popularity.

Anime characters are already POC. They are Asian (mostly) not white. Even some of the tanned ones.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Apr 29, 2021 1:50 PM

Dec 2019
Old_School_Akira said:
Xesty17 said:
I honestly believe that the creator entirely wanted to capitalize off the fact that the MC is a POC for it to gain popularity.

Anime characters are already POC. They are Asian (mostly) not white. Even some of the tanned ones.
Yh let me rephrase that my bad. African MC.
Apr 29, 2021 2:47 PM

Apr 2020
I thought I was getting an Afro Samurai done by Mappa but I got Castlevania Gundam and Afro Samurai mixed and it didn't work well.
5/10 because of good animation and music because the story is below average imo.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Apr 29, 2021 3:05 PM
May 2020
I was watching this anime expecting to be full on samurai animated by MAPPA, I wasn’t expecting all the magic, robots, Sci-Fi, etc. But I still enjoyed it to the end, and I honestly thought Yasuke was gonna die there if Saki didn’t heal him. If they ever make a season 2, I’d still watch it. Although the plot wasn’t the strongest, I still enjoyed the fights, music and the backstory of Yasuke. Personally I would’ve preferred Yasuke’s backstory more as it would be more original/ samurai fight related and him leading up as to why it lead to a 20 YEAR time skip. But this is Netflix we’re talking about so it is what it is. I give a 8/10 personally, cause like I mentioned I enjoyed the fights, music and the backstory, personally I don’t see how the backstory would lead up to this but it does give a explanation as to why Yasuke is so good doing what he does but this is Netflix.

Also anyone knows what happened in the post-credits scene? It was kinda confusing.
Apr 29, 2021 4:36 PM

Aug 2020
My expectations for this anime were too high. I didn't realize it was only gonna be 6 eps, but it is what it is. I wished it was longer so we can get some character development and background on these characters more. The fight scenes incorporated the fantasy and mech elements pretty well imo. Overall, an entertaining anime even tho it was short. 6/10

Apr 29, 2021 4:57 PM
Aug 2020
And yet again, afro samurai is the best anime for a black samurai, yasuke anime was a joke.
Apr 29, 2021 5:49 PM

Jul 2009
Good show, cool fighting scenens. Story could have been alot better and the whole story feelt really rushed. Like that girl just became a master of her new power in just a few days... wuut?!

i dont know... it was ok
Nothing in this world lasts forever, and it´s time you accept that.
It's better to not cling to these things that you will eventually lose.
Apr 29, 2021 7:43 PM
Aug 2020
Solid anime. Could've been better, but I enjoyed it, especially the soundtrack by Flying Lotus.

Also, I'm pretty sure most of the people hating this are alt-right biggots. I know that the anime community is filled with those good for nothing assholes so it's not surprising in the slightest
Apr 29, 2021 8:53 PM
Apr 2021
Old_School_Akira said:
Xesty17 said:

I am not American so I may not know terminology and definitions from US perspectives, but why do you guys classify non-Whites as "POC" ? Isn't White a color too ? Logically speaking, white is a color so White people and all humans for that matter can be considered POC, except for those who are invisible or "see-through", LOL.
Apr 29, 2021 9:05 PM

Aug 2015
MoonDragon72 said:

Also, I'm pretty sure most of the people hating this are alt-right biggots. I know that the anime community is filled with those good for nothing assholes so it's not surprising in the slightest

Bad bait, but funny nonetheless. You know, it´s okay to like a bad series like these one (I might add, a lot of people were expecting something akin to Afro Samurai, which is loved by a lot of people, not mechas and powers in a "Batman Ninja" way) but calling them biggots is just ignorant.

Also, those leftie-rightie insults only apply to Americans and their politics system, and a good portion of us are not from there, so you are generalizing way too much.
Pakumen-Apr 29, 2021 9:09 PM
Apr 29, 2021 10:24 PM

Jan 2021
The show was good because the good parts (although less) were really well such that they overshadowed the bad parts (many).

The Yasuke fights were really the highlights of the show. Obviously.

The pacing was amazing. I wish all anime had such pacing irrespective of the number of episodes.

I found it hard to ignore the flawed scenes and character issues with Saki. She looks different all the time. XD.

Overall I feel good after finishing the show. Although will not recommend it earnestly. If there is a 2nd season I will most prolly watch it.
Apr 30, 2021 4:56 AM
Jan 2021
6.24 ??

this series is no less than 7.60, I guess the anti-netflix and those who shout "inclusiveness" or "agenda" have found their new target to destroy.
Apr 30, 2021 6:02 AM
Apr 2021
Anyway, I liked the fact that Yasuke is not an Overpowered Protagonist but legitimately struggles in his battles. He also had to fight alongside the heroine, Saki, in order to win which is cute as it is not often we get to see a Black male main character paired with a heroine of a different race in an Action Anime. It kinda seemed like a Black MC version of fighting male and female duo like Strike The Blood's 2 MCs, Absolute Duo, and Ayato and Julis from Asterisk War. Unfortunately Saki is a little kid and not a comparable teenager though.
Apr 30, 2021 8:08 AM
Aug 2020
Pakumen- said:
MoonDragon72 said:

Bad bait, but funny nonetheless. You know, it´s okay to like a bad series like these one (I might add, a lot of people were expecting something akin to Afro Samurai, which is loved by a lot of people, not mechas and powers in a "Batman Ninja" way) but calling them biggots is just ignorant.

Also, those leftie-rightie insults only apply to Americans and their politics system, and a good portion of us are not from there, so you are generalizing way too much.

I'm pretty sure racism exists in other countries too
Apr 30, 2021 9:12 AM

May 2018
We got everything here - elements from Samurai Champloo, elements from Afro Samurai, samurais (duuuh), ronins, ninjas, werebears, shamans, corrupted catholic priests, mechs, kaijus, they went to Mordor, they beat the bad guy Sailor Moon style (by hugging) and of course Oda Nobunaga...nothing happens without him.

The biggest attraction are the action scenes - quite spectacular, also some really cool ideas in the lore (time travel and collisions with alternative words shenanigans in Orguss style I guess?).
Plus I liked how the MC acted like a person from a foreign culture and than slowly adapted...but the rest of the gaijins I didn't liked that much.
On the other hand the plot was kind of chaotic with some very improbable but convenient twists and turns. Also not a fan of the music especially the synth passages (add Blade Runner to the formula).

So my impressions are mixed - I enjoyed the show but...
Apr 30, 2021 9:28 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Delete the magic and fantasy elements then add a real plot and it becomes quite good... that was a huge waste of potential because the animation and OST are actually really nice... but that's the only good aspect of this anime.
Apr 30, 2021 10:02 AM

May 2016
The animation and the soundtrack were great. But the magic and the mechas killed the plot. I wanted to follow a story based on the real life of Yasuke, not a story with mechas and fantasy elements. I have the impression that they used the character of Yasuke only for the buzz because if we replace him by a fictional character, the story would remain the same.
Apr 30, 2021 10:33 AM

Aug 2015
MoonDragon72 said:

And someone is a biggot because they don´t like this show, sure. You´re just making yourself look like an idiot. Also you didn´t get what I mean, and it´s that the whole "Republican-Liberals" is something from US.

Everywhere I read about this show, pretty much anyone who was looking forward to it wanted it to be good (myself included), but that didn´t happened. I mean there´s not really anyone to blame but us, because due to high expectations the reception is even lower now.
Apr 30, 2021 11:15 AM
Mar 2019
Not gonna lie man I’m disappointed. Episode 5-6 was terrible man smfh, shit was making me laugh. The animation and music and yasuke as a character was good but this shit fell off hard. Lesean doesn’t have that boondocks and black dynamite spice anymore. I’m leaning on a 5 or a 6 smfh man
Apr 30, 2021 12:05 PM

Apr 2018
It was okay I guess. The opening,OST felt pretty good. And the animation was good well it was made by MAPPA. The story felt rushed, nothing was explained.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 30, 2021 5:06 PM

Jun 2014
Well starting with what I liked about the show.....

The animation was good, as expected from MAPPA. By extension, because of the solid animation, the action scenes were also really good. The music was mostly enjoyable, I liked Yasuke as an MC, and the incorporation of flashbacks throughout the show was handled very well. That was actually one of my favorite aspects of the show, the back-and-forth between flashback and present-day was practically seamless.

Now for what I disliked.....the runtime didn't do this show any favors. I feel like this show would have greatly benefitted from being at least 10 episodes, if not the standard 12/13. Would have had a lot more breathing room to flesh out the story and supporting cast. The first half of the show was solid, but episodes 4-6 felt rushed and the show seemed to fall off in the 2nd half. Again, more episodes could have fixed this. I also didn't really care for any of the characters besides Yasuke. He obviously got plenty of focus as the MC, but everyone else kinda felt like they were just.....there. Which cycles back to how more episodes could have potentially helped flesh out the supporting cast more. Also, Saki......lmao this girl was literally a cheat code. That's really all I have to say about her. And finally, the biggest issue I, and many others it seems, had with this show: the supernatural stuff. I thought this show was going to be more grounded in reality, so I was put off by all the robots and mechas and magical powers. I know we can use the "lol it's anime" excuse but I personally was really hoping for a more realistic take on Yasuke's story instead of the constant suspension of disbelief that came as a result of what we got.

It's unfortunate that this ended up being rather average, but it is what it is. Even if the story had its issues, I can say that the overall product, for ME at least, wasn't boring. The show had its problems, and it could have been improved in a lot of areas, but it was still pretty damn entertaining so it at least had that going for it.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 30, 2021 5:20 PM

Jun 2010
NelZeppyBreach said:
Old_School_Akira said:

I am not American so I may not know terminology and definitions from US perspectives, but why do you guys classify non-Whites as "POC" ? Isn't White a color too ? Logically speaking, white is a color so White people and all humans for that matter can be considered POC, except for those who are invisible or "see-through", LOL.

Don't worry, it doesn't make sense to Americans with more than 2 braincells either. Somehow it's always lost on such fools how "racist" THEY are.
May 1, 2021 5:01 AM

Apr 2020
Story is barely servicebale to downright bad but they make for some cool scenes so it's alright I guess. Except not really. A lot of it was pretty damn boring and uninteresting. Hard to care about anything when even the most interesting character, Yasuke, isn't used well.

I want to give it a 5 but some of it was so shitty, they really didn't even try with the plot. The mechs... fucking embarassing. Unexplained magic ok... but why make mechs? What?

Just another example of why being different doesn't mean being good. It's not even that different, it's a complete badly copied mess.
May 1, 2021 9:07 AM

Sep 2020
This anime is trash , I thought I am going to watch a historical anime based on a legendary black samurai but hack it was something this else , I got GOT final season flash back while watching the shit

If someone wants to watch good historical anime watch vinland saga , and stay away from this shit

( This is my overall though in this anime from episode 1 to 6 )

Overall 3.5/10 ( animation was good )
May 6, 2021 4:08 PM
May 2021
I kind of liked it, but I didn't think it was going to be a fantasy... still a 6/10 though because the characters and animation were really nice.
May 7, 2021 5:12 AM

Jun 2016
I gave up by this episode and started doing the dishes while it was playing in the background.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 16, 2021 6:41 AM
Jan 2018
Deadaccount2974 said:
Pakumen- said:

True but racism in other country are not only a white/POC thing...

In some country, the descriminate thing are more your religion or your birth nationality.

But because somes Europeans just like to copy-past the Americans, some black Europeans are just angry about thing who don't make sense like:"this book was write by a black woman but the translator was a white woman, THAT RACIST" or "Black VA don't have any big role"
.. It's not like the french VA of Yusuke, it's a black man who he's well know for giving his voice to Geralt in the witcher.
May 16, 2021 2:44 PM
Jul 2014
Honestly one of the worst shows I've watched in a long time. I can't believe MAPPA would even put their name on this. They had a really good premise and setting through episode 1 and it all went downhill from there. The show itself could have been very good if they would have just left the historical setting. There was no reason to start bringing magic and mechs into it IMO. All in all, just another in a long line of dissapointing Netflix produced anime...
May 20, 2021 2:22 PM

May 2018
Well, it wasn’t complete and utter shit, but it was still shit. Thankfully, the OST was on point. Why did it have to be some feudal futuristic series? It totally murdered Yasuke’s true history. All that other stuff was so unnecessary!

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
May 20, 2021 4:26 PM

Jul 2016
The story about the first black samurai definitely deserved something better than this disappointing adaptation. Writing was making less and less sense with each passing episode; concepts of magic and powers were a total mess due to them never being explained; Saki's character was basically a "cheat code" as someone above me said and leaving Yasuke aside, side-characters as well as villains couldn't have been more forgettable.

2/10 - Animation and OST were okay. Yasuke's character and past could have been used better tho.
SouthRzVaMay 20, 2021 4:30 PM
May 21, 2021 6:21 AM

Jan 2021
I enjoyed watching this the soundtracks played in this anime were really good even the opening theme and animation was good one of my favorite thing’s that I liked the most was the blue samurai armor it always looked cool
May 23, 2021 6:37 PM
May 2015
Pretty good show story is, "all over" The place but besides that, I enjoyed it soundtrack, and animation was good (for me) I hope there is a season 2 (Hopefully)
Jul 5, 2021 6:13 AM

Jun 2010
Wauw, this was uber mid. such a shame. cant even recommend this to anyone would feel like i'm wasting their time.

with how trash this was i doubt there will be a second season but if it does happen it better be a prequel story with with no magic, no mechs, no mutants, like who's idea was it to add all this with only 6 episodes.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Jul 19, 2021 9:43 AM

Oct 2020
Tyrel said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Overall was an okay series and the animation throughout the whole show was outstanding but it obviously had many problems with it. I didn't expect the show to take the kind of tone it did. If there's a second season, I'd prob still watch it still. Seeing Yasuku fight was amazing and the transitions from the past to present was really well done.
the poll just turned upside down from 5,4,3,2,1 TO 1,2,3,4,5, highest votes in ascending order,, Bruh
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Aug 6, 2021 8:58 AM
Oct 2019
I'm pretty sure i read it somewhere not much of Yasuke History got record, so I think they could even did a historical accurate story.
For me at least they adding Magic and Mecha not really bothering me, I'm just going in open minded.
Oh this is how they gonna tell the story and entertain us, okay Fictional Universe of Japan. I guess i just have to accepted and enjoying it.

Yeah 6 Episodes is fine, i think they did a good job telling some bits of the historical accurate story of Yasuke through the Flashback.

Animation was Good of course it's MAPPA, the Sakuga 👌
Music was pretty good as well.
I really like how they potrayed Yasuke Character, he isn't your Overpowered Protagonist, he struggling in the fight as well.
Story wise, yeah not that great.

Anyway despite the hate, which is understandable if y'all expecting it to be Grounded and Historical Accurate, but I'm actually quite enjoying it.
I'm just trying to have some entertainment, and not thinking too much about it.

6/10
Giving it 6 just because the Animation and the Music and of course Yasuke Character.

Will i rewatched it again someday?
Probably not.
Oct 30, 2021 9:38 AM

Oct 2009
Horrendous.
I fell asleep 4 times trying to binge this.

I didn't enjoy anything about this, even with the good animation.

2/10
Aug 15, 2022 1:42 AM

Jul 2015
Even putting the whole fictionalised story problem aside, the plot felt just way too rushed (as expected with only 6 eps) and bad with events occurring without much explanation.

Aug 21, 2022 4:26 PM
Jun 2019
I would like to remember that apparently, Saki did all of those crazy magic stuff while BEING sick. I don't have much to say since everything that had to be said has already been said.

Welp at least with the ending, there won't be any revenge plot lol.
Graduated High School in May of 2022. Summer vacation has finally arrived. I have once again regained the power of a new anime fan, being able to watch multiple anime episodes in a day. Time to binge-watch every single anime I can into the night until college arrives. SADGE. SUPER SADGE... College has begun as of Monday, August 30, 2022, so you won't be seeing me much around these parks. See you on weekends, I guess... School me is back. Sigh! I'll at least try for one anime a day with all this course load.
Sep 21, 2022 3:06 AM

Mar 2014
The fact that this has so many 1-5 ratings is actually deplorable and I feel like many of you missed the mark. Anime is anime. You want proper source material? Watch a documentary. This show was for entertainment purposes. With that said although I didn't care for magic and robots and was expecting more of a Samurai Champloo vibe, the show honestly wasn't that bad. I wish the character building had been a little stronger so I'd actually feel for the characters a bit more. I also wished the series was twice as long because there wasn't as much build up as I was hoping. I have a habit of rating highly, but for this one I don't feel like I was off the mark. It was a pretty good and entertaining show.

Jan 28, 2023 11:32 PM
Apr 2021
it was ok couldve used more feet
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yasuke Episode 5 Discussion

anime-prime - Apr 29, 2021

21 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 29, 7:31 PM

Poll: » Yasuke Episode 4 Discussion

8 by Adnash »»
Jan 14, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Yasuke Episode 3 Discussion

14 by Adnash »»
Jan 13, 2:49 PM

Poll: » Yasuke Episode 2 Discussion

CandleBoy - Apr 29, 2021

16 by Adnash »»
Jan 12, 4:56 PM

Poll: » Yasuke Episode 1 Discussion

kyro1 - Apr 29, 2021

47 by Adnash »»
Jan 12, 2:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.