Forum Settings
Forums

How do you watch your anime? on a TV or monitor?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 2, 2021 7:59 AM

Jul 2019
I mostly watch it on TV or PC, and if I'm at work I watch on my phone.
Apr 2, 2021 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
Ezekiel said:

Actually, TVs have very different colors than monitors. TV manufacturers like to show off more. I prefer browsing on a monitor, because the colors are more neutral.

Sorry, my dude, but that's actually not true.

Many TV manufacturers have at least one mode that attempts to adhere to the standard set by filmmakers and professional calibrators. It is usually called Cinema/Movie/THX Expert/Pure or something similar. It varies by brand.

It doesn't substitute a professionally calibrated TV, but it's good enough to appease almost anyone. If you're not an actual movie director, you can get by with simply putting your Samsung TV on Movie mode and selecting the Screen Fit option.

Source: a freaking decade spent on AVForums, dealing with people and their OCD.

removed-userApr 2, 2021 8:14 AM
Apr 2, 2021 8:11 AM

Oct 2018
I watch it from TV with DLNA. But sometimes i watch from monitor too.
Apr 2, 2021 8:16 AM

Nov 2008
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Ezekiel said:

Actually, TVs have very different colors than monitors. TV manufacturers like to show off more. I prefer browsing on a monitor, because the colors are more neutral.

Sorry, my dude, but that's actually not true.

Many TV manufacturers have at least one mode that attempts to adhere to the standard set by filmmakers. It is usually called Cinema/Movie/THX Expert/Pure or something similar. It varies by brand.

It doesn't substitute a professionally calibrated TV, but it's good enough to appease almost anyone. If you're not an actual movie director, you can get by with simply putting your Samsung TV on Movie mode and selecting the Screen Fit option.

Source: a freaking decade spent on AVForums, dealing with people and their OCD.

I think I know what you're talking about. I use the often recommended Cinema Pro and Expert 1 settings on my Sony 900e. Color is at 56/100. The colors still look different than on my Asus MX27AQ IPS monitor, which is set to Standard Mode for Picture and Normal for Color Temp. Skin tones aren't the same.

Apr 2, 2021 8:28 AM
Jul 2018
Ezekiel said:
I think I know what you're talking about. I use the often recommended Cinema Pro and Expert 1 settings on my Sony 900e. Color is at 56/100. The colors still look different than on my Asus MX27AQ IPS monitor, which is set to Standard Mode for Picture and Normal for Color Temp. Skin tones aren't the same.

Yeah, that's the problem.

My TV is relatively well calibrated because I have a friend who owns actual calibration equipment.
No one likes it. They say everything looks red, which is true, because the Warm 2 setting is usually the one that's closest to the industry standard.

99% of us are used to Normal (or even Cool), which is far more blue, so unless you spend a week with a calibrated TV you're always gonna see everyone as walking tomatoes. Your eyes just can't adjust that quickly.

I don't recommend going down this rabbit hole though, because people get straight-up obsessed with having 100% accuracy on their equipment.
There's a very good chance your Sony TV is actually closer to what a "Ridley Scott" wants you to see when he pumps out a new Blu-ray, but in the end all that really matters is what you enjoy.

"Set it and forget it."
Apr 2, 2021 8:29 AM
日野森雫

Apr 2019
i watch anime on my computer normally.

✧ forum set by the amazing, yashika-chwan <3 ✧
Apr 2, 2021 8:32 AM

May 2018
Ezekiel said:

I said if they use the same technology...maybe you are talking about some expensive models of TVs vs cheap monitors or something.
There can be some differences but we are talking about animation in which the colour palette is somehow limited (digital source or whatever) so those differences would be even less noticable.

Ezekiel said:

It's just not the same.

It could be in average monitor vs average TV situation.
Apr 2, 2021 8:34 AM

Sep 2020
Sometimes TV, sometimes monitor, sometimes pathetically from phone/tablet

WHAT A LAUGHABLE ATTEMPT.
YOU SHOULD JUST STAY WHERE YOU ARE
, GROVELING AT MY FEET

P.S. PLEASE HELP ME GAIN MORE PROFILE VIEWS
Apr 2, 2021 8:36 AM

Jan 2013
That stat differentiation is wild.

Monitor.
Apr 2, 2021 8:38 AM
Dec 2020
I use my laptop most of the time, but sometimes i do watch anime on a tv
Apr 2, 2021 8:39 AM

Nov 2019
Whatever2001 said:
My parents won't let me do anything i want. So i watch from my little mobile alone at night (2-5am). Thats why i only watch anime not movies or tv shows because i want to watch them on tv. It probably ruins the experience but if the show is good it doesn't matter i guess. I watched all animes on phone including my favourites like aot, fmab, and also deathnote. Maybe watching studio gibhli movies at night on phone was not a good idea.

So your parents dont allow you to use the TV?
Apr 2, 2021 8:41 AM

Nov 2019
Normal anime is on the TV but the cultured anime is on my phone.
Apr 2, 2021 8:58 AM

Nov 2008
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Ezekiel said:

Yeah, that's the problem.

My TV is relatively well calibrated because I have a friend who owns actual calibration equipment.
No one likes it. They say everything looks red, which is true, because the Warm 2 setting is usually the one that's closest to the industry standard.

99% of us are used to Normal (or even Cool), which is far more blue, so unless you spend a week with a calibrated TV you're always gonna see everyone as walking tomatoes. Your eyes just can't adjust that quickly.

I don't recommend going down this rabbit hole though, because people get straight-up obsessed with having 100% accuracy on their equipment.
There's a very good chance your Sony TV is actually closer to what a "Ridley Scott" wants you to see when he pumps out a new Blu-ray, but in the end all that really matters is what you enjoy.

"Set it and forget it."

I'm already well used to my Sony's colors. I like it. I'd describe Expert 1 and Cinema Pro as more yellowish than red, but I don't even notice it anymore. Real life is somewhat yellower than the computer colors we are used to, less blue, like you said.

I'm glad my photo didn't come out too terrible this time.

My Asus monitor is redder.

It's impossible to make my monitor's colors look like my television's. The settings just aren't in the monitor's UI, and it's not a cheap monitor.
EzekielApr 2, 2021 9:21 AM

Apr 2, 2021 9:15 AM

Apr 2020
Phone when I have to, but most of the time on TV. When it's something I'm really excited about watching, it's good to have a friend that has a theater room too...
I can't even function as a human being anymore.
Apr 2, 2021 9:16 AM

May 2016
My PC's hooked up to a TV that I use as a monitor so I guess it's partly the first option.

I sometimes watch anime movies at the cinema when I can though~

Apr 2, 2021 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
Cunny0 said:
Whatever2001 said:
My parents won't let me do anything i want. So i watch from my little mobile alone at night (2-5am). Thats why i only watch anime not movies or tv shows because i want to watch them on tv. It probably ruins the experience but if the show is good it doesn't matter i guess. I watched all animes on phone including my favourites like aot, fmab, and also deathnote. Maybe watching studio gibhli movies at night on phone was not a good idea.

But you're 19 dude what the hell?...

Yeah. In India jobs are scarce. Low pay jobs have terrible conditions. We don't leave home at 18 like in west. Everything depends on entrance exams and i am a candidate studying at home.
Apr 2, 2021 9:21 AM
Jul 2018
Bitesthedust777 said:
Whatever2001 said:

TV, laptop, mobile, anything distracting from studies. Thats why i use mobile at night.
Apr 2, 2021 9:21 AM

Dec 2019
very specific technique, i simply have my laptop in bed tilted to the side as i lay on my side and i binge for hours. i cant watch more than one episode if im not doing just that.
Apr 2, 2021 9:36 AM

Jan 2021
I watch primarily on my phone, but sometimes I also like to watch on my PC but not for long because it's uncomfortable sitting on a chair for hours. However, it will be a fun experience to watch on TV.
Apr 2, 2021 9:48 AM

Nov 2020
I usually watch on my computer except when I'm watching a movie or a really good show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2021 11:05 AM

Feb 2020
both :) i switch between but my laptop tends to be easier bc i have a lazy eye that acts up when i'm looking farther away
Apr 2, 2021 11:08 AM

Mar 2021
Tablet but not pathetically-
I get to stay in bed comfy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Onizuka is my mood

Apr 2, 2021 11:12 AM

Nov 2015
TV, PC monitor, or my phone. Depends on what I'm doing/where I am.
Apr 2, 2021 11:35 AM

Nov 2019
Whatever2001 said:
Bitesthedust777 said:

TV, laptop, mobile, anything distracting from studies. Thats why i use mobile at night.

Come on like never. Even after youv studied?
Apr 2, 2021 11:46 AM

Jun 2020
I watch it on my TV most of the time, tho at sometimes I might watch it on my laptop
Apr 2, 2021 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
Bitesthedust777 said:
Whatever2001 said:

Come on like never. Even after youv studied?

It would create unnecessary tension so i don't use digital device near them. When i used to watch even one AoT s04 episode it would piss my mother. I mostly stay in my room where i use phone.
Apr 2, 2021 11:51 AM

Mar 2021
Voted for monitor but it varies in between monitor and tablet.
the extra skater
Apr 2, 2021 12:16 PM

Feb 2015
well nowadays I dont watch anime but before, I watch anime in my laptop then switched to my phone.
Apr 2, 2021 12:28 PM

Jul 2020
From a phone in my room with headphones only. Don't wanna bother anyone else in my house.
<3
Apr 2, 2021 12:29 PM

Aug 2017
I watch anime on a desktop or laptop.

It's been going pretty well. As long as my internet doesn't disconnect. Then it's fine.

Apr 2, 2021 12:39 PM

Jan 2021
I have a couch on my room, but i don't have a TV so i watch on my laptop. Sometimes at night i use my ps4 to watch it on the tv on the mainroom but i like to play more when using the ps4 than watching something.
Apr 2, 2021 12:39 PM

Apr 2014
TV. I usually try to watch on a streaming service if I can, but if I have to watch on a website or some other means, then I send it from my laptop to my tv.
Apr 2, 2021 12:47 PM

Mar 2019
laptop connected with TV. outside (in train etc) with phone or directly laptop
Apr 2, 2021 12:51 PM

Sep 2020
on my tv, or my laptop if i'm feeling extra lazy. with manga, however, i can read on either my laptop or phone with equal amounts of ease.
*insert emotional quote or waifu boobs*
Apr 2, 2021 12:52 PM

Nov 2017
I watch it on TV if I'm watching it with someone.

On my laptop if my phone is charging.

I watch it on my phone most of the times
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Apr 2, 2021 12:57 PM

Aug 2020
Personally i watch on my laptop but sometimes when im outside i use my phone. Idk how ppl can watch using a desktop while sitting in a chair when it gets uncomfortable, the bed is the way to go
Apr 2, 2021 1:46 PM

Sep 2020
I just watch it on my monitor when I am at my mom's. When I was at my dad's during winter and I got a new TV I watched some anime on it
Apr 2, 2021 2:03 PM

Aug 2018
Sometimes on laptop, sometimes on ipad, very rarely on my pc

Apr 2, 2021 2:44 PM
Jul 2018
Both, bc why not? There's no reason not to just do what I'm in the mood for. Usually if I'm watching something for a long time, I'll watch on a TV, and if I'm watching only a few episodes it will be on my PC. I will also scarcely watch anime on my phone.
Apr 2, 2021 3:06 PM

Oct 2016
I have a Tv connected to my desktop computer and having 2 more monitors, either I watch it on my monitor or my TV I mounted on the wall whenever I feel. Sometimes and rarely I watch on my living room 4K TV if everyone at my house is asleep.
Apr 2, 2021 3:16 PM
Aug 2013
I actually learned a trick, I watch anime on my computer but on the small default size player. I never use full screen to watch anime, but why you ask?....because naturally our eyes have tunnel vision and we don't focus on our peripherals. We only really see what's clear in a very small part of our vision in front of us. So by watching anime on a small player you essentially can read subtitles and watch anime at the same time without missing what's happening. The bigger the screen the more you will miss out on because our peripherals can't see everything, however on a small screen you don't miss anything. But if you watch too small then it's just a strain on the eyes and hard to read, so default player is about the right size on a computer

~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 2, 2021 3:16 PM

Oct 2017
Mostly on a tv but if I have to pirate or am editing footage on a monitor. Used to watch anime on the Wii U gamepad tho
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 2, 2021 3:41 PM

Jun 2014
I generally put my anime on a USB flash drive, and plug it into my 50" smart TV to watch it. The only exception, is if the video is in the HEVC/x265 codec, as my TV won't play those videos. I'm then forced to watch it on my computer, which has a 32" monitor.

Apr 2, 2021 3:42 PM

May 2019
hohofish said:
For me I watch from TV most of the time. (Play by a laptop connected with HDMI)
When I'm at work I would have to watch from a monitor but man my company's monitor is shit.

Please, edit the poll, you've missed one option.

I watch my anime mostly in my Smartwatch:

Apr 2, 2021 3:50 PM

Aug 2020
I watch anime on my Laptop, I always do. I used to watch anime on the TV but our TV broke plus netflix doesn't have every anime or even most so I pirate anime (on my laptop)

♥️ 𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮 𝓵𝓲𝓼𝓽 ♥️

“𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓵𝔂 𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓻𝓸𝓶𝓪𝓷𝓬𝓮, 𝓣𝓪𝓲𝓰𝓪, 𝔀𝓲𝓵𝓵 𝓵𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓪𝓲𝓭.” – 𝓣𝓪𝓲𝓰𝓪 𝓐𝓲𝓼𝓪𝓴𝓪

Apr 2, 2021 4:15 PM

Jan 2020
I watch on both. Usually if I can find whatever I want to watch on Hulu or Netflix, or if I see something that catches my eye on Hulu or Netflix, i'll watch that on those. Everything else I do online.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Apr 2, 2021 5:52 PM

Apr 2020
I watch on my phone most of the time with my earphones on. Particularly, because I don't want any distractions and I can carry it anywhere. Tho my back actually hurts because I dunno how to position myself lol. But lately, I'm trying to switch on TV. I'm kinda overwhelmed lmao, I got so used to small screen.

»»————- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇs ʜᴇʀᴇ ————-««
Apr 2, 2021 5:54 PM

Nov 2015
I haven't voted on your poll because there really should be a "it depends" option.
Apr 2, 2021 5:58 PM
Mar 2020
Usually on my phone but if i know ots gonna be some good shit i watch it on my tv
Apr 2, 2021 6:07 PM

Apr 2020
AnimeDownUnder said:
I actually learned a trick, I watch anime on my computer but on the small default size player. I never use full screen to watch anime, but why you ask?....because naturally our eyes have tunnel vision and we don't focus on our peripherals. We only really see what's clear in a very small part of our vision in front of us. So by watching anime on a small player you essentially can read subtitles and watch anime at the same time without missing what's happening. The bigger the screen the more you will miss out on because our peripherals can't see everything, however on a small screen you don't miss anything. But if you watch too small then it's just a strain on the eyes and hard to read, so default player is about the right size on a computer

Well said, I noticed that I tend to focus mostly on subtitles when I'm watching on TV. That's why I ended up missing something and I have to go back. I guess that's the downside of it. Tho, it will work pretty well on dubs.

»»————- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇs ʜᴇʀᴇ ————-««
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 8 hours ago

19 by Zimmu »»
1 minute ago

» If MAL didn't exist

Alpha_1_Zero - 32 minutes ago

9 by stellariscxy »»
1 minute ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Yesterday

52 by -YaoiBoy- »»
18 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

57 by Zarutaku »»
18 minutes ago

» If your favorite anime exploded in popularity to the point that everyone in socmed talks about it, would you like it or not?

Rinrinka - 1 hour ago

11 by Zettaiken »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.