Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 13, 2021 11:52 AM

Apr 2012
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
Janethan23 said:
"What's a matter? Too thinky thinky for ya?"
I just love the fact that this anime is actually challenging a good number of viewers to actually think and not be spoon fed information like most animes have done. Some of them are still trying to figure it out when it's already clear as day with some revelations yet to come.

It's honestly not challenging at all. It spells everything out pretty blatantly except for the question of "Is Kumoko the demon lord?"

Good for you then, it took me a couple of episodes I don't read source materials btw back then to piece them together. The 15 year time gap is what's getting most people and also what Kumoko really looks like.
Janethan23Mar 13, 2021 11:57 AM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Mar 13, 2021 11:54 AM
Dec 2017
Aure0lin said:
i thought the same way but there are still ppl on the internet who think the show's not being blatant enough about split time periods

Julius and Ronandt blatantly saying "15 years ago" is something that the anime added.

I mean it's also not that difficult to notice in the novel but the visual help of the anime helps a lot... though some people still don't catch it.
It doesn't matter the novel keeps hinting it for some time even after this point.
Mar 13, 2021 12:04 PM

Mar 2016
linkhuesitos said:
Aure0lin said:
i thought the same way but there are still ppl on the internet who think the show's not being blatant enough about split time periods

Julius and Ronandt blatantly saying "15 years ago" is something that the anime added.

I mean it's also not that difficult to notice in the novel but the visual help of the anime helps a lot... though some people still don't catch it.
It doesn't matter the novel keeps hinting it for some time even after this point.
the novel does have scenes like baby shun and julius says 10 years instead of 15 so there's still plenty of clues to pick up
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Mar 13, 2021 12:35 PM
Sep 2016
beast_regards said:
Siegfried10 said:
People wrongly classifying other shows as harems doesnt make this one a harem. A harem show is when there are many girls either in a relationship with the MC or at the very least romantically interested in him. A show with many girls but no romantic interest involved is not a harem. Mondaiji for example has a male MC and three female MCs but its not a harem, as there is no romantic interest among them.

If you mean Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? it has an overpowered cocky protagonist with personality, not a bland audience surrogate, and most importantly, it doesn't revolve around girls following him around, they are all doing their own thing for the most part. As such, it doesn't have the structure of the harem show. This show however has - at least, Shun's 50% is, it's Kumoko what makes the exception. Even manipulative bitch bossing everyone around as the teacher is on screen only when she is around Shun, otherwise, the show totally forgot about her despite how overpowered she looks.

MCs personality has nothing to do with the girls around him being a harem or not. Mondaiji isnt a harem simply because the girls have no romantic interest in Izayoi, simple. On Kumo, the only girl with romantic interest in Shun is Karnatia. One girl interested in the MC isnt a harem.

You can complain about Shun's side being generic all you want, it still isnt a harem. You simply do not know how to use the word.

Also, the teacher hasnt being "forgotten". The teacher isnt supposed to appear to much at first because she is involved with the elves and what they are doing and Shun isnt involved there yet. She doesnt have a PoV because you as a reader/watcher are supposed to start learning the revelations of whats happening in that world alongside Shun. The teacher will appear soon, like in 1 or 2 episodes, once the shitfest starts.
Mar 13, 2021 1:31 PM
Feb 2021
Xenocrisi said:
Zygo5921 said:
I did but they showde the old guy fighting a zoa elle and after the end credit, it shows that kumako was gonna evolve from a zoa elle but im not sure if it was actually her

Kumoko was the same spider Ronandt and the others fought this episode. Kumoko’s real form is the one the human saw. The cute little spider we see is how Kumoko perceives herself (also because she can’t look at herself in a mirror). Moreover, after the credits she complained about how her new home was destroyed and burnt (the house we saw Ronandt &co destroying)
yea, that's what I thought, just wanted confirmation . Thank you
Mar 13, 2021 1:32 PM

Jan 2013
Siegfried10 said:
You can complain about Shun's side being generic all you want, it still isnt a harem. You simply do not know how to use the word.

Also, the teacher hasnt being "forgotten". The teacher isnt supposed to appear to much at first because she is involved with the elves and what they are doing and Shun isnt involved there yet. She doesnt have a PoV because you as a reader/watcher are supposed to start learning the revelations of whats happening in that world alongside Shun. The teacher will appear soon, like in 1 or 2 episodes, once the shitfest starts.

Of course, they will start appearing again when Shun goes somewhere. They follow him around.
In this episode, Shun met his father and his older brothers, it's logical for him to go alone to that meeting.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Mar 13, 2021 2:01 PM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
The master of the house has returned

Oooh, I loved that. I got goosebumps at that moment. I rewatched that part a couple of times. I know what's going to happen during this entire series but getting this stuff animated is amazing itself.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Mar 13, 2021 3:35 PM

Jan 2020
Eh, I thought the Kumoko parts of the episode were more interesting than the human side this time around.

Mar 13, 2021 4:14 PM
Sep 2008
Aure0lin said:
beast_regards said:

His best friend is now a hot redhead, and he was attracted to the protagonist even when he was a guy.
you wouldnt know this unless you read the novel, and by your own admission the novel emphasizes that shun does not have a harem

what? I thought it was made clear over the anime the redhead was one of his best friends and they implied that he liked shun. Maybe I just imagined it
Mar 13, 2021 4:29 PM

Mar 2016
swordmaster2551 said:
Aure0lin said:
you wouldnt know this unless you read the novel, and by your own admission the novel emphasizes that shun does not have a harem

what? I thought it was made clear over the anime the redhead was one of his best friends and they implied that he liked shun. Maybe I just imagined it
"implied" is kind of strong, the most the anime has shown so far is that katia is friendly with shun and one of kanata's friends joking that he's into guys
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Mar 13, 2021 4:32 PM

May 2014
beast_regards said:
Pandol said:
I don't get how Shun is a harem protagonist, poor guy being hated wrongfully here because seriously he is not like those harem guys and don't collect girls left and right just chillin with his sister and best buddy from his previous life

Except he behaves and is presented as a generic harem protagonist.

He is a bland, generic guy without any real personality surrounded by attractive women with practically no effort from his side. Practically all characters, if I don't count Hugo as his rival, are female. You can argue they aren't really attracted to him, but the show doesn't hammer this home, so everyone who didn't read the novel thinks of him as a harem protagonist. Because a lot of things simply makes sense only because you've read the novel
To be exact, Shun is currently presented as an antagonist. As a weak one but still as an antagonist. That is non-generic already, though it won't be the last non-generic feature of his "heroic" journey.

Aure0lin said:
Red_Ranger_Wien said:

It's honestly not challenging at all. It spells everything out pretty blatantly except for the question of "Is Kumoko the demon lord?"
I assumed that people would get it after ep 9, but it looks like many people are still confused even after this one. I stand corrected.
Mar 13, 2021 6:41 PM
Mar 2021
I finally appreciate the anime showing the human parts. The reveal was last week but I just thought about how much better it is when seeing the human parts at the same time
Mar 13, 2021 7:38 PM

Mar 2011
Took me a while to notice that in this episode what they were facing in battle was Kumoko. I got a little confused with these skips between present and past. I don't remember this in the Manga, but the Manga doesn't take the Human's point of view almost at all so all of this really confused me.

Also, I have a doubt here, when Julius went to the Labyrinth didn't he face a spider very similar to the one we saw right in this episode? And, I believe there was a time where the spider got scared of something, was it the Demon Lord (maybe present Kumoko) not allowing that spider to kill Julius?
Mar 13, 2021 7:41 PM

Oct 2020
Fnights said:
Damn, animators trolled me hard, believe anime faces were her true face but no, she is a true monster in the eye of the other beings, why the animators do not use the monster face? Anime face is really odd and out of place, her true form was so evil cute and precious (and more close to the manga). >_>

Really, anime form is a crap with this stupid pig face and ears. T_T
wow, she really looks entirely different in a human's perspective, well off to her next evolution

"Hard work is worthless for those that don’t believe in themselves" - Naruto Uzumaki
Mar 13, 2021 9:33 PM

Oct 2008
Kumoko versus that sorcerer was just a child's play for her! damn!
great story telling! good thing sorcerer survived and lived to tell the tale!
5/5.

Mar 14, 2021 3:07 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Difference between light novel and this episode before and a small part during when Ronandt faces off before Kumoko.

Anime; 30-ish soldiers, 1 guide, Ronandt and the summoner.
LN; 30 soldiers, 4 guides, Ronandt and the summoner
Anime; Caught on the spiderweb = Soldier, Summoners sword got stuck.
LN; Caught on the spiderweb = A guide, a second guides sword got stuck.
Anime; Kumoko is basically pure white as a monster.
LN; Kumoko is black with white back. (possibly white spotted back, don't quite remember)

Might be shown in next episode or later, weird that it hasn't been shown yet:

Couldn't they have even done that right?

Honestly, check out the light novel when the series is over. So so so much more info about everything. I say this after every episode.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Mar 14, 2021 8:12 AM
Oct 2018
Xenocrisi said:
Amazing episode, even better than the last one.
Kumoko has the very first battle with some humans, and we see Ronandt both from 15 years ago and from present line. What a blessing

Also, Shun’s meeting with the king and his other wad highly entertaining as well, and the OST was pretty giod.

Kumoko, now known as Nightmare of the Labyrinth, on her way to make things spicier!
New evolution next episode

Dude, was that really Wakaba?? I mean, she killed all those soildiers?? Wasnt she climbing up the labyrinth??? Was it really her???

Damn, I never thought that Wakaba would be a mindless killer.......I am still not sure if it was her?? CAn anybody clarify me?
Mar 14, 2021 8:15 AM
Oct 2018
Panzer92 said:
It's pretty clearly hinted that the monster who destroyed fortress (and probably killed hero) is Kumoko. Which means does not become demon lord... On the other hand it's also hinted she is demon lord in future. So one is bait.

Anyway, great episode. At last we get to see how strong she actually is. And it sure is much stronger than I expected. If she is already at that level 15 years in the past, I'd love to see her classmates reaction when they finally meet.
I'm also happy she just wiped those humans like any other enemy.

Was it really her??? ARe you sure?? I dont want her to become a mindless murderer
Mar 14, 2021 8:22 AM

Nov 2014
npandey said:
Panzer92 said:
It's pretty clearly hinted that the monster who destroyed fortress (and probably killed hero) is Kumoko. Which means does not become demon lord... On the other hand it's also hinted she is demon lord in future. So one is bait.

Anyway, great episode. At last we get to see how strong she actually is. And it sure is much stronger than I expected. If she is already at that level 15 years in the past, I'd love to see her classmates reaction when they finally meet.

Was it really her??? ARe you sure?? I dont want her to become a mindless murderer

No, I'm not sure. I wrote that hints go two ways.
Also, someone pointed out that with her evolution patch she can't become tarantec queen.

And how is killing enemy at war a mindless murder? We already saw her killing a bunch of humans anyway.
Mar 14, 2021 8:22 AM
Oct 2018
It makes me sad to realize that the men who become soldiers have no value in their lives. This episode portrays that sentiment very well. The soldiers were massacred like flies without any humanity, and their masters did not even give two shits about them. Soldier deaths are entertainment and prequel to some definite action!!!!!! And it is considered heroic............Kudos to humanity
Mar 14, 2021 8:23 AM
Oct 2018
Panzer92 said:
npandey said:

Also, someone pointed out that with her evolution patch she can't become tarantec queen.

And how is killing enemy at war a mindless murder? We already saw her killing a bunch of humans anyway.

WAit, the spider before was also her?
Mar 14, 2021 8:25 AM
Oct 2018
Panzer92 said:
npandey said:

Soldiers are not humans, they are piles of trash, waiting to be disposed off to give glory to someone
Mar 14, 2021 10:15 AM
Dec 2017
npandey said:
Xenocrisi said:
Amazing episode, even better than the last one.
Kumoko has the very first battle with some humans, and we see Ronandt both from 15 years ago and from present line. What a blessing

Also, Shun’s meeting with the king and his other wad highly entertaining as well, and the OST was pretty giod.

Kumoko, now known as Nightmare of the Labyrinth, on her way to make things spicier!
New evolution next episode

Dude, was that really Wakaba?? I mean, she killed all those soildiers?? Wasnt she climbing up the labyrinth??? Was it really her???

Damn, I never thought that Wakaba would be a mindless killer.......I am still not sure if it was her?? CAn anybody clarify me?

Yes, it was her. When Ronandt (the mage) was appraising the Spider you can see that it's level 19 (the same of Kumoko) but more importan it had Wisdom.

This part is what gives Oka's "The Skills are dangerous" weight.
Check her stats when Ronandt was appraising Kumoko and you'll notice a very interesting title.
Mar 14, 2021 10:44 AM

May 2015
npandey said:
Panzer92 said:

How is killing a bunch of people that just burned down your home mindless murder? Anyway the Ln goes into a bit more detail but just in case
billybubMar 14, 2021 10:49 AM
Mar 14, 2021 11:05 AM
Jan 2020
It's pretty clear now that we've been watching events of two different points in time. Everyone was reborn, and thus while the reincarnated humans were growing up from infants to teenagers, Kumoko was busy power leveling and trying to survive.

Kumoko is the Zoa Ele based on the ruler skills alone.
MadVandalMar 14, 2021 11:12 AM
Mar 14, 2021 3:42 PM
Sep 2016
beast_regards said:
Siegfried10 said:

Of course, they will start appearing again when Shun goes somewhere. They follow him around.
In this episode, Shun met his father and his older brothers, it's logical for him to go alone to that meeting.

Yes, yes, you will keep complaining about everything, i know.

Anyway, i wont explain anymore than this as its imposible without spoiling anything. Keep watching or drop it, its up to you.
Mar 14, 2021 5:01 PM
ダンダダン

Jun 2015
ac_eren said:
I really enjoy Kumo-chan different "personalities" they're so funny XD I really want to see an anime with only Kumo-chan on it, I got bored whenever human characters talk :(

She's
Siegfried10 said:
beast_regards said:

Except he behaves and is presented as a generic harem protagonist.

He is a bland, generic guy without any real personality surrounded by attractive women with practically no effort from his side. Practically all characters, if I don't count Hugo as his rival, are female. You can argue they aren't really attracted to him, but the show doesn't hammer this home, so everyone who didn't read the novel thinks of him as a harem protagonist. Because a lot of things simply makes sense only because you've read the novel

I mean, he was made generic but in his defense he can hardly count being surrounded by "attractive woman" as an achievement or a harem. One of those was a guy (and a best friend of his) in his previous life, one other is his sister, other is a classmate that reincarnated into a dragon, other is a classmate that reincarnated into a religious fanatic and the last one is his former teacher.

Shun doesnt really have a harem, just female friends or acquaintance. You dont need to read the novels to know that he doesnt have a harem, you just need to know the correct definition of a harem.

ar1sh said:
What volume the anime is currently adapting?

Volume 3

I agree well kinda, Shun for me is bland kinda boring he has no personality say look at our spider girl shes bursting with energy passion she's definitely got a personality but shun is just a bowl of plain oat meal no flavor just there really with his annoying lil sister who can't leave her brother alone i know some people enjoy these guys but i find em meh I prefer the spider girl doing her thing and the demons/admins seems so interesting I think what they should have done was make a spin off focused on Shun and his people and have it link up with the main story like how my certain magical index does it

Mar 14, 2021 5:25 PM

Feb 2020
_Jougo_ said:
[I think what they should have done was make a spin off focused on Shun and his people and have it link up with the main story like how my certain magical index does it

I get why people think that and say this, but it wouldn’t work.
RarkisMar 14, 2021 5:44 PM
Mar 14, 2021 5:45 PM
Sep 2016
_Jougo_ said:
ac_eren said:
I really enjoy Kumo-chan different "personalities" they're so funny XD I really want to see an anime with only Kumo-chan on it, I got bored whenever human characters talk :(

She's
Siegfried10 said:

I mean, he was made generic but in his defense he can hardly count being surrounded by "attractive woman" as an achievement or a harem. One of those was a guy (and a best friend of his) in his previous life, one other is his sister, other is a classmate that reincarnated into a dragon, other is a classmate that reincarnated into a religious fanatic and the last one is his former teacher.

Shun doesnt really have a harem, just female friends or acquaintance. You dont need to read the novels to know that he doesnt have a harem, you just need to know the correct definition of a harem.

Volume 3

I agree well kinda, Shun for me is bland kinda boring he has no personality say look at our spider girl shes bursting with energy passion she's definitely got a personality but shun is just a bowl of plain oat meal no flavor just there really with his annoying lil sister who can't leave her brother alone i know some people enjoy these guys but i find em meh I prefer the spider girl doing her thing and the demons/admins seems so interesting I think what they should have done was make a spin off focused on Shun and his people and have it link up with the main story like how my certain magical index does it

Shun was made to be generic and you arent supposed to like him. He is a fool who treated his reincarnation as a game and that will cost him later on.

A spin off wouldnt work, Shun story is just about to link to Kumo's anyway. We will see more of the demons too.

This series doesnt have two MCs, this is Kumo's story not Shuns. It will be clear later on.
Mar 14, 2021 7:40 PM

Nov 2017
This damn show just keeps on impressing with every episode.Even better was the fact that the TL version I watched finally had the op/ed lyrics in english,and that end song is even better than I first thought.
As for Kumoko being evil now,I don't think she is,she was just defending herself from an attack on her home by humans.
As for her personalities,they are bloody hilarious,and I love how sometimes they seem to be arguing,and next all in synch.
Can't wait for her evolution to Ede Saine,dying to see what that looks like(though,it'll still be our little Kumoko,op as hell,but cute as fuck,and thats coming from someone who's a confirmed(house spider,you know,those long legged bastards that always turn up when you least expect it)semi arachnophobe :)
Mar 15, 2021 12:10 AM

Nov 2020
althought i know kumoko is big, it's still strange seeing her like that, also kumoko filed a complaint is a right move, nice try kumoko
Mar 15, 2021 2:08 AM

Oct 2007
forgot to say..

now that the ending song is translated.. had a nice laugh at the part of the lyrics where Kumo says.. "you will pay for this Administrator D!".

lol
Mar 15, 2021 6:48 AM
Oct 2019
For a second i confused about the Spider, so that's how Kumoko looks like to the Human...

Now it's confirmed Kumoko POV was 15 years in the past...
Mar 15, 2021 7:25 AM

Aug 2012
So she is actually kind of evil... damn
Mar 15, 2021 10:47 AM
Mar 2018
beast_regards said:
Siegfried10 said:

Holy shit, how dense can someone be? You are purposefully being dense, right? Please?

We are clearly following Shun around wherever he goes, but just because we are following him it does not mean that the world we see is revolving around him. Even if you only see certain characters when they are with him, it does not mean that they are not doing their own thing when they aren't on screen.

We had so many scenes with Shun where Oka was nowhere to be found. How does that possibly mean to you that she is only there for Shun? Do you have no object permanence, and can't tell that she still exists somewhere in the world even when you aren't looking at her?

What about Fei? In episode 9 we clearly see that while Shun was in class she was off in the forest doing her own thing, does that mean nothing to you in terms of her independence? Yuri also has been absent from some scenes and been shown kinda doing her own thing in others. Does the show really need to tell you word for word how these characters spend their time for you to think of them as independent people in the world?

And most of all, just because we see female characters hang out with Shun, how can you possibly assume they're part of his harem or anything like that? That says a lot more about you than it does of the show, literally nothing has been shown that would support that except a little bit for Katia and maybe Sue if you stretch the definition of a harem. If anything, the opposite has been shown so far with Shun's interactions with everyone else.
Mar 15, 2021 11:49 AM

Jan 2013
Duarpeto said:
Holy shit, how dense can someone be? You are purposefully being dense, right? Please?

We are clearly following Shun around wherever he goes, but just because we are following him it does not mean that the world we see is revolving around him. Even if you only see certain characters when they are with him, it does not mean that they are not doing their own thing when they aren't on screen.

We had so many scenes with Shun where Oka was nowhere to be found. How does that possibly mean to you that she is only there for Shun? Do you have no object permanence, and can't tell that she still exists somewhere in the world even when you aren't looking at her?

What about Fei? In episode 9 we clearly see that while Shun was in class she was off in the forest doing her own thing, does that mean nothing to you in terms of her independence? Yuri also has been absent from some scenes and been shown kinda doing her own thing in others. Does the show really need to tell you word for word how these characters spend their time for you to think of them as independent people in the world?

And most of all, just because we see female characters hang out with Shun, how can you possibly assume they're part of his harem or anything like that? That says a lot more about you than it does of the show, literally nothing has been shown that would support that except a little bit for Katia and maybe Sue if you stretch the definition of a harem. If anything, the opposite has been shown so far with Shun's interactions with everyone else.

Are they doing anything of importance?
If yes, why actually isn't shown in the anime?
It's nice that Shun doesn't have to walk Fei to the forest, but she doesn't seem to have a real agenda of her own. The same applies to other girls.
The teacher clearly has an agenda of her own, but the show forgot about her.
I bet this is actually another part of the light novel you know about but the anime left out as they didn't have enough time to show all the characters and simply went for Shun as an audience surrogate so people who don't relate to the Kumuko won't drop.
Mar 15, 2021 12:21 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The passing of such a beloved and well respected hero is indeed a tragedy beyond measure. Still Schlain sure has quite a number of elder a few of which look far from trustworthy. For Schlain who really looked up to his brother his loss must be painful beyond measure. In the past Ronandt was quite the hothead. But the white spider proved to be far more formidable of a foe than even he could have predicted back then. Overall an interesting ep that while featuring the mc only sparingly also did well to showcase the kind of struggle that Schlain is going through in the aftermath of the death of his hero and dear brother and him being pressed the unwelcome mantle of being the next hero.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2021 1:13 PM
Mar 2018
beast_regards said:
Duarpeto said:

Are they doing anything of importance?
If yes, why actually isn't shown in the anime?
It's nice that Shun doesn't have to walk Fei to the forest, but she doesn't seem to have a real agenda of her own. The same applies to other girls.
The teacher clearly has an agenda of her own, but the show forgot about her.
I bet this is actually another part of the light novel you know about but the anime left out as they didn't have enough time to show all the characters and simply went for Shun as an audience surrogate so people who don't relate to the Kumuko won't drop.

Oh my god, you are lacking object permanence after all. Since when has the show forgotten Oka? Every scene she's been in so far she has shown off her knowledge without fail and she was always shown has someone who wasn't around very often while doing mysterious things on her own, you can't watch a couple episodes where she isn't around without thinking she has ceased to exist within the world?

The others don't have to have an agenda of their own right now to be independent and interesting characters within the world. They don't even have to be doing anything important. Hell, even Shun himself doesn't have an agenda or anything like that, until episode 7 we were just watching the reincarnated students try to live their life normally (except Oka) within this world while going to that magical academy and learning about the world, we were simply doing that while following Shun. Even after that until episode 9's ending the only Shun-focused important event that happened was the Hugo fight which turned into an Oka-focused event in the second half.

Again, just because we're following Shun through everything that's happening it doesn't mean everything is actually focused on him, it's just storytelling.

And I am not saying anything that isn't in the anime itself, yeah the novel is better but the adaptation is good so far, even if a few details are missing Katia is the only one whose character has been meaningfully less developed so far, and that's to make time for more Kumoko. Shun's time has also been cut from what it could've been if they truly wanted to appeal to the audience or anything like that, that's just senseless bullshit.
Mar 15, 2021 1:28 PM

Jan 2013
Duarpeto said:
And I am not saying anything that isn't in the anime itself, yeah the novel is better but the adaptation is good so far, even if a few details are missing Katia is the only one whose character has been meaningfully less developed so far, and that's to make time for more Kumoko. Shun's time has also been cut from what it could've been if they truly wanted to appeal to the audience or anything like that, that's just senseless bullshit.

I've read the manga, and they left out Shun & not-harem part entirely, and the story works just perfectly, there is a sense of mystery as Kumuko isn't really able to understand humans' language and she knows nothing about the world she found herself in, and the reader could learn everything just as she does. Shun's half of the anime is a waste of time, it should have been a spin-off series instead of just stealing the time from the main show. Novels may have a reason why they are there, but for anime, and visual medium for what matters, they are distractive and don't fulfill any reason other than a paralel processing requires for two stories sent in two different timelines with different characters. Anime have them there because anime has to sell merchandise and Kumuko in a spider form isn't a good material for hug pillow.
beast_regardsMar 15, 2021 1:31 PM
Mar 15, 2021 2:44 PM
Jan 2021
beast_regards said:
Duarpeto said:

I've read the manga, and they left out Shun & not-harem part entirely, and the story works just perfectly, there is a sense of mystery as Kumuko isn't really able to understand humans' language and she knows nothing about the world she found herself in, and the reader could learn everything just as she does. Shun's half of the anime is a waste of time, it should have been a spin-off series instead of just stealing the time from the main show. Novels may have a reason why they are there, but for anime, and visual medium for what matters, they are distractive and don't fulfill any reason other than a paralel processing requires for two stories sent in two different timelines with different characters. Anime have them there because anime has to sell merchandise and Kumuko in a spider form isn't a good material for hug pillow.

That argument is like saying Lord of the Rings would be a better story without the hobbit side, or Game of Thrones would be better without the different perspectives. You are coming in at this from an ignorant point of view and those words will not age well. Saying the manga "works just perfectly" without the human side is just wrong. Any gravity and payoff to certain revelations is completely lost, and the story loses quite a bit of depth that it has in the ln and that the anime will have as long as it continues to be adapted well. There is plenty of mystery in this story, both in the anime and in the novel, and if you refuse to be open minded that's on you, not the anime. Shun isn't stealing time from the main show, he plays an integral part in the story. He is an unreliable narrator, and this is why we have an incomplete picture of the things going on around him. Since he doesn't know things, we as an audience also don't know them. He gives us a glimpse into the human side. The pieces missing will be answered as time goes on.
Mar 15, 2021 3:00 PM

Jun 2014
beast_regards said:
Duarpeto said:

You can't understand 3d chess if you only cover 1 dimension. That's why the human side is important.
Mar 15, 2021 3:02 PM

Jan 2013
xorion said:
That argument is like saying Lord of the Rings would be a better story without the hobbit side, or Game of Thrones would be better without the different perspectives. You are coming in at this from an ignorant point of view and those words will not age well. Saying the manga "works just perfectly" without the human side is just wrong. Any gravity and payoff to certain revelations is completely lost, and the story loses quite a bit of depth that it has in the ln and that the anime will have as long as it continues to be adapted well. There is plenty of mystery in this story, both in the anime and in the novel, and if you refuse to be open minded that's on you, not the anime. Shun isn't stealing time from the main show, he plays an integral part in the story. He is an unreliable narrator, and this is why we have an incomplete picture of the things going on around him. Since he doesn't know things, we as an audience also don't know them. He gives us a glimpse into the human side. The pieces missing will be answered as time goes on.

The Game of Thrones analogy doesn't work, this anime doesn't have the time and money GoT had. You can make entire seasons of anime with just one GoT episode budget. Anime doesn't have this money, and should think more about what it does with its money.

Lord of the Rings doesn't have too many non-Hobbit viewpoints, they are a few, but they are rare and far between. Anime in general usually do have this ratio too, with only brief scenes outside a pure view of the protagonist. Kumo is different than most anime, it not only wastes 50% of its runtime on Shun, it also tells the story in a non-chronological matter which only confuses things more for no reason, and only demands the audience to look for answers elsewhere. Anime as an advertisement is a bad practice.

Mar 15, 2021 3:05 PM

Oct 2007
beast_regards said:
Anime have them there because anime has to sell merchandise and Kumuko in a spider form isn't a good material for hug pillow.

yeah, and they won't have poster girls for Dengeki G anime magazine and other similar merchandise if Shun's female classmates aren't in this show.
Mar 15, 2021 3:13 PM

May 2015
beast_regards said:
xorion said:

The Game of Thrones analogy doesn't work, this anime doesn't have the time and money GoT had. You can make entire seasons of anime with just one GoT episode budget. Anime doesn't have this money, and should think more about what it does with its money.

Lord of the Rings doesn't have too many non-Hobbit viewpoints, they are a few, but they are rare and far between. Anime in general usually do have this ratio too, with only brief scenes outside a pure view of the protagonist. Kumo is different than most anime, it not only wastes 50% of its runtime on Shun, it also tells the story in a non-chronological matter which only confuses things more for no reason, and only demands the audience to look for answers elsewhere. Anime as an advertisement is a bad practice.

You do realize the Ln is also told in non chronological order, and the 1st 5 volumes are also very Shun/other reincarnations heavy. If anything the Manga isnt following the story
Mar 15, 2021 3:15 PM
Jan 2021
beast_regards said:
xorion said:

No, it doesn't demand that you look for answers elsewhere. If you want an analogy of a recent story that follows two points in time just look at the recent The Witcher tv show. That did the same exact thing as kumo. There's no reason why the GoT analogy doesn't work though, it's based off of a book. Lord of the Rings has MANY different perspectives that are important, including Aragorn, Gandalf, Saruman, etc... Also, there's more to the world of Middle Earth than TLoTR; look at The Silmarillion, for example. Kumo isn't written the way it is for "no reason." Just because you don't understand it YET doesn't mean it's arbitrary. Your arguments don't really stand, and you're coming from a place where you don't actually know anything.
Mar 15, 2021 3:20 PM

Jan 2013
ByonKun said:
You can't understand 3d chess if you only cover 1 dimension. That's why the human side is important.

It's not 3D chess. It's a puzzle. Puzzle when you mixed three boxes into one, and then burned half it.
Mar 15, 2021 3:26 PM
Jan 2021
beast_regards said:
ByonKun said:

It's not 3D chess. It's a puzzle. Puzzle when you mixed three boxes into one, and then burned half it.

No, it's a single puzzle. The manga, though, is closer to that kind of analogy. Basically to get the manga you take a puzzle, then hide half of it. Then, 5 years from now maybe the manga will give back the pieces slowly.
Mar 15, 2021 3:29 PM

Jan 2013
xorion said:
No, it doesn't demand that you look for answers elsewhere. If you want an analogy of a recent story that follows two points in time just look at the recent The Witcher tv show. That did the same exact thing as kumo. There's no reason why the GoT analogy doesn't work though, it's based off of a book. Lord of the Rings has MANY different perspectives that are important, including Aragorn, Gandalf, Saruman, etc... Also, there's more to the world of Middle Earth than TLoTR; look at The Silmarillion, for example. Kumo isn't written the way it is for "no reason." Just because you don't understand it YET doesn't mean it's arbitrary. Your arguments don't really stand, and you're coming from a place where you don't actually know anything.

GoT events are told in a chronological order despite being a continent apart. Some apply for Lord of the Rings. Witcher Netflix season wasn't chronological, and people complained about it the same way I do now.
Mar 15, 2021 3:36 PM
Jan 2021
beast_regards said:
xorion said:

GoT events are told in a chronological order despite being a continent apart. Some apply for Lord of the Rings. Witcher Netflix season wasn't chronological, and people complained about it the same way I do now.

Nonlinear storytelling is not something to complain about. Many stories go that route. It requires slightly more engagement, but it isn't that difficult to understand. If that's the only criticism you have that isn't based off of incomplete knowledge, you don't really have much ground for your argument.
Mar 15, 2021 3:46 PM

Jan 2013
xorion said:
Nonlinear storytelling is not something to complain about. Many stories go that route. It requires slightly more engagement, but it isn't that difficult to understand. If that's the only criticism you have that isn't based off of incomplete knowledge, you don't really have much ground for your argument.

I won't have complete knowledge if I watch the anime. That's the point. I need to go to read the LN to figure out the mess with two protagonists, three timelines, and four different viewpoints, the number of which will only add up as anime goes on. Anime is never going to adapt LN from start to finish. The view will never be going to be complete in anime.

It would be much better if anime told the story in a way it could be immediately understood even if the view is limited, as they know they aren't going to adapt the entire story anyway.

I am tempted to continue this is a separate thread to just counting things anime starts without finishing
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

366 by Rimuru_11407 »»
Apr 21, 6:07 AM

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

12 by SwordBreaker36 »»
Apr 19, 5:07 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2021

162 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 7, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 8, 2021

331 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 5, 2:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.