Forum Settings
Forums

Is it necessary to rate dropped anime series?

New
Feb 6, 2021 8:29 PM

Nov 2018
After clearing abit of my onhold collection and rescoring some of watched shows i asked myself if i should score dropped anime.
I would appreciate if someone could answer some questions about this topic:

-Did u score the same way dropped anime as u score completed?

-Do the dropped score counts in to the general average score?

-Should i score a anime with i dropped after watching 1-3 episodes?

I appreciate everyone who took they time to check and answer this topic. English is not my first language so i use mostly basic english sorry if is bad explained or hard to understand :(

Feb 6, 2021 8:32 PM

Mar 2019
I don't think a score should be given to any anime not finished. You can't rate the totality of an experience without getting the entire experience.
Feb 6, 2021 8:33 PM

May 2020
As I understand it, dropped scores only count if you've watched a certain proportion of the series. I believe it's something like 1/5th of a series for your score to count. So something like 3 episodes for 12 episode series.

As for whether you should rate it, I believe that's up to personal preference. Personally, I don't think you can judge a work without having seen it in its entirety but hey, your list, your rules.
Feb 6, 2021 8:34 PM

Mar 2020
If you haven't finished an anime, you shouldn't rate it.

An anime can have a slow start and a very strong middle and end - Steins;Gate

If everyone dropped and rated Steins;Gate poorly because they were bored on first few episodes, it wouldn't have a rating as high as it does.
Feb 6, 2021 8:34 PM
Jul 2018
i think its alright if you've watched a decent amount of episodes of it or if it was completely unbearable to watch and you gave it a 1. somebody correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure mal doesnt count scores that are submitted with less then 1/5 of the episode count marked as watched.
Feb 6, 2021 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
Jesterino said:

If everyone dropped and rated Steins;Gate poorly because they were bored on first few episodes, it wouldn't have a rating as high as it does.

i mean for me it was boring and slow at the start and stayed that way the whole way through, even if i had dropped it the score wouldn't have changed.

Nov 2018
I don't drop anime, so I can't relate.

But if in an alternative universe where I did do such a thing, then I'd give ratings to shows that I've seen and dropped. Even if it were 1 or 2 episodes in, it probably wouldn't be counted as I'd require 1/5 the total number of episodes.

I'd like to remind myself as to why I drop a show as well. If it's 5 or lower, then I know it's bad, but if it's higher, then I'd probably say it's because I'm not motivated to watch a show, and I'd maybe give it another go sometime in the future.
_cjessop19_Feb 6, 2021 8:39 PM

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.

Aug 2016
Rate however you want lol. If you don't feel comfortable rating a show you didn't finish, don't see why you would force yourself.
I rate dropped anime based on the experience I had with it: limited or not. Because that's what makes sense for me.
Feb 6, 2021 8:37 PM

Mar 2020
2077 said:
Jesterino said:

i mean for me it was boring and slow at the start and stayed that way the whole way through, even if i had dropped it the score wouldn't have changed.
You aren't the only one, but at least you finished it and then rated it instead of dropping it halfway and rating it.
You experienced the full length and then gave it a rating on it as a whole instead of giving it a rating for the first few episodes.
Feb 6, 2021 8:43 PM

Jun 2017
Do you have to eat all the food on your plate to rate the food?
>:)
Feb 6, 2021 8:43 PM
Feb 2017
Benieg said:
After clearing abit of my onhold collection and rescoring some of watched shows i asked myself if i should score dropped anime.

I appreciate everyone who took they time to check and answer this topic. English is not my first language so i use mostly basic english sorry if is bad explained or hard to understand :(

I score dropped anime since I am giving my personal rating for how my experience was for however many episodes I watched.

As for your English, it's pretty good. I wouldn't have noticed and would've just thought it was some grammatical errors and spelling that tbh most people who speak English do lol.

I literally have nothing else to do so I just went ahead and fixed what I personally would type if it were me (and yes I fixed the spelling of you and capitalized the i's because I hate when people don't do that lol).

-Did u score the same way dropped anime as u score completed? -> Do you score dropped anime the same as you would completed [anime]?

-Do the dropped score counts in to the general average score? -> Do the dropped scores count towards the general average score?

-Should i score a anime with i dropped after watching 1-3 episodes? -> Should I score an anime that I dropped after watching 1-3 episodes?
Feb 6, 2021 8:50 PM
Feb 2021
BlakexEkalb said:

-Did u score the same way dropped anime as u score completed? -> Do you score dropped anime the same as you would completed [anime]?

-Do the dropped score counts in to the general average score? -> Do the dropped scores count towards the general average score?

-Should i score a anime with i dropped after watching 1-3 episodes? -> Should I score an anime that I dropped after watching 1-3 episodes?

thanks i can read it better,

@Benieg
-No, of course different from the anime that I finished

-of course

-is up to you
Feb 6, 2021 8:54 PM

Jul 2016
I think if you drop a series, you've grasped the scope of your relationship with it and how much you will potentially enjoy it and determined it's not enough to justify your time investment.
Basically I would encourage everyone to rate their dropped series.

Unfortunately, I think MAL only factors you score into its stats if you've completed at least 1/5th of the respective series (e.g. 3 episodes out of a 12 episode anime). It might just be a way to limit the amount of data MAL has to deal with, but I think we would see more accurate average scores since people who dropped a show early are more likely to give lower scores than those who completed it or just stuck with it for longer.

Feb 6, 2021 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
I don't see what's wrong with it. You're only scoring based on the progress you've made in the show so far. You're not judging the anime as a whole. Unless you're trying to be a professional reviewer, there's no real requirement for you to complete an anime to get an overall assessment. For me personally, I rate anime the same way as I do completed anime. It's all based on the appeal of the story and the characters to me. No matter the rating you give an anime (high or low), it will affect your average score.
removed-userFeb 6, 2021 9:00 PM
Feb 6, 2021 9:00 PM
Jul 2018
It's up to you if you're gonna rate it or not, there's nothing wrong in rating it low when it provided you a bad experience.

Some people says that you can't really see the value of a show unless you finish it up until the end, which is seriously wrong. If you have enough experience and a decent level of perception you can pretty much tell from the start if a show is good or not.
You don't have to sit there and suffer episode to episode just to waste time.
Even if the quality fluctuate from bad to good, a good show is only good when it stayed strong from the start up until the end.

Also when it comes to Steins Gate, some people said that it didn't have a strong start or it was boring but in reality it was one of the best start you can get in a story with its meticulous preparation that bloomed in the later part of the story.
removed-userFeb 6, 2021 9:03 PM
Feb 6, 2021 9:08 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Not necessary, but just do what you like.

Nothing stops you from rating dropped anime, you have every right to do that.
if you ask me personally, yes you should rate every anime you have watched, doesnt matter if you finish it or not :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 6, 2021 9:09 PM

Jul 2016
Jesterino said:

I've never regretted dropping a series. If an anime is obviously bad early on, it almost never gets better.
Even so, if average scores were weighted by number of episodes the scorer had watched (as I believe they are with respect to length on average list score) then the droppers wouldn't have nearly as high an impact as you're suggesting.

Also, Steins;Gate took five minutes to convince me it was great. I'm curious what exactly you found appealing about the rest of the show if you were bored by the beginning.

Feb 6, 2021 9:14 PM

Jan 2020
I don't think it's "necessary" but it also depends on the context as well as how much of the series the person has seen + what the person actually thought of it.

For example, if someone dropped one piece at episode 5 they might not want to give it a proper rating since they don't think they've seen enough to judge it.
If someone drops a 12 episode seasonal at episode 5, they are much more inclined to want to give it a rating since they've seen almost 50% of the season and they are able to gauge it better

Feb 6, 2021 9:18 PM

Apr 2016
i also follow the rule of not rating the stuff i dropped. it doesn't feel right to rate something i didn't finish.
Feb 6, 2021 9:21 PM

Aug 2013
I don't rate dropped series, not that it really matters tho.
Feb 6, 2021 9:27 PM

Oct 2019
GreatAide said:

Lmao that's a bad analogy.

One Piece is the Greatest Shounen.
Feb 6, 2021 9:28 PM

Jan 2020
If an anime is still can't hit me after 15 episode and keeps bore me it deserve 6 clearly
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Feb 6, 2021 9:29 PM

May 2020
I do rate stuff I drop, I rate it based on how I enjoyed it from what I've seen so far, planning to go no drop policy soon so it won't matter anyways.
Feb 6, 2021 9:37 PM

Mar 2020
tetrabun-ny said:
Jesterino said:

I've never regretted dropping a series. If an anime is obviously bad early on, it almost never gets better.
Even so, if average scores were weighted by number of episodes the scorer had watched (as I believe they are with respect to length on average list score) then the droppers wouldn't have nearly as high an impact as you're suggesting.

Also, Steins;Gate took five minutes to convince me it was great. I'm curious what exactly you found appealing about the rest of the show if you were bored by the beginning.
Not my opinion, I just read someone saying Steins;Gate was boring in the early 12-13 episodes on the "anime that is perfect" thread. I rated it 8/10 lol.
Feb 6, 2021 9:37 PM

Jun 2017
Lenere_Kato said:
GreatAide said:

Lmao that's a bad analogy.

no it is a good analogy
why is it a bad analogy kek
Feb 6, 2021 9:45 PM

Dec 2016
the site gives me the option, and I take it
Feb 6, 2021 10:18 PM

Aug 2014
I'm neutral about it, but I don't rate my drops because I can't use my full 1-10 scale for them. It just doesn't make sense for me to have a chunk of my list with nothing but 4s or less in it. Would make for a monotonous and boring look.
Feb 6, 2021 10:24 PM

Mar 2018
Benieg said:

Scoring is a tool for enhancing your viewing experience by analysing what you enjoy and not enjoy, therefore you should decide whether eating dropped shows help understand, analyze, enjoy the show better or helps you finding better shows
Feb 6, 2021 11:49 PM
Jan 2021
You only "need" to rate dropped anime if you wish to avoid a form of survivorship bias, where your average score is higher because on class of low rated shows is not included in your average.

There are four reasons for me to drop a show

I am note interested in the theme: e,g. naruto, one piece

The show uses a plot device i very much dislike: e.g. Ajin, if the guards are minimally competent character A will not escape. The plot requires that character A escapes ...

The show has a silly concept and lives down to it: e.g. Keijo, Peter Grill

The show has a reasonable concept but has very poor execution: e.g. Citrus

Consistency, would demand that I rate the last three (at most). I am not consistent, Nor do I care,
William Hughes

Complex systems exhibit unexpected behaviour
Feb 6, 2021 11:53 PM

Mar 2017
Yes I do rate dropped anime. If I've watched something that means I've spent my time doing it and thus I need to express what I think of it via ratings
Feb 6, 2021 11:58 PM

Dec 2020
I scored Fairy Tail when I dropped it to chapter 140. Anyway, there were only about 40 chapters left and I could wait for what's next.
Feb 7, 2021 12:53 AM

Nov 2018
Wow. Thanks for all the time and effort it really helps with finding the answer!

Just completed reading all the different opinions and takes.
I figure out that I'm gonna rate some dropped series depending on the episodes size, construction of the show, genres that it contains and most important on how much I watched it and enjoyed at the time.

In near future prob. gonna give another try to some shows and re-rate them.

@faylres @BlakexEkalb

Thanks for the kind words it really helps with gaining confidence.
I'm almost fully self learned my English by listening and forcing my eyes to seeing it while playing or reading any staff.
Now I can watch almost every anime or keep a understandable voice conversation but typing still is quite difficult I use alot of google to correctly type the word still creating correct sentences its pretty hard.
But reading 1-3 times my text before sending a longer message helps to fix most errors!

@BlakexEkalb

Thanks for the corrections, I just try to make it as must possibly understandable in my ability!
Gonna be hard to get used to the correct order in the creation of sentences but I will give my best!

Again much thanks to all who get involved and take their time!
Feb 7, 2021 12:55 AM

Jul 2020
I don’t see anything wrong w this. A show can wrap up an arc in the middle of the series and I can gather my thoughts on the show at that point.
Feb 7, 2021 12:56 AM

Jan 2010
I personally only rate shows I completed, except long running.
So no, I don't
Feb 7, 2021 1:04 AM

Oct 2010
I delete any dropped show from my list, I just don't wanna see it in there, the rating is 1/10
Feb 7, 2021 1:07 AM

May 2015
I don't rate it, because I don't even want to think about the show anymore, and what score it deserves in my personal scale considering I didn't even finish it, etc, etc.. So I prefer not to score at all.

But you can if it's something you'd like to do, for any personal reasons or just for fun.
Feb 7, 2021 3:23 AM
May 2020
I did, and i remember dropping an anime and rate it higher than an anime i completed. Just saying that all of my dropped anime aren't that shit.

It does... doesn't it? I'm not sure...

It's up to personal, but for me if i drop 3 episodes or less i'll just delete the entry
Feb 7, 2021 4:26 AM

Feb 2019

Yes. I consider my scores absolute, irrespective of what state the show is in.

Don't know or care. It's just a number.

-Should I score a anime I dropped after watching 1-3 episodes?

Whatever you want. I score at the point I drop, whether that be 1 episode in or halfway through.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Feb 7, 2021 4:34 AM

Feb 2013
Generally I don't drop series, I keep watching to get the whole idea the director and writer wanted to deliver through their project.
But if I ever dropped a series I don't think I would rate it.. I don't rate watching series till ending them so as a never completed series I don't think it should be rated.
Feb 7, 2021 4:44 AM

Mar 2020
You should rate shows however you like, remember it's your list and no one can tell you what to do with it.

If it's useful anyway, I'll tell you what I do. I only score dropped anime if I've watched 3 or more episodes of it; mainly because I don't think that I can accurately rate a show based solely on the first couple of episodes (although this doesn't mean that I can't decide the show is bad and don't want to waste my time on it), but also because I don't want shitty shows that I only watched 1 or 2 episodes of before realizing my mistake tanking my average score. This is coming from the sort of person that only rates shows he's watching once he's finished watching them, so that might help when thinking about if this method is for you.

Then again, I've only dropped 7 anime up until now, there might be a show that comes along and makes me change my perspective.

As for your other questions, many people have already answered about the 1/5th rule; and yeah, I do score the same way as with completed shows. Anime is anime, after all.

Hope this helped!
Feb 7, 2021 2:09 PM

Feb 2021
Yes, i think so .. if you watched at least 3 episodes ... if not, is kind of unfair right ??? Why rated something that you only watched 2 or even worse, one episode of it , make no sense .

For me the rule is : at least 3 for a 12 episode anime
7 for a 24 or +
And 10 for long runners .

But thats a reach also, the bare minimun is 3... thats the number for any anime tho
Feb 7, 2021 2:15 PM

Oct 2019
the anime has to be pretty bad for me to drop so I usually give it a low rating to take my rage out on it for giving me an unpleasant time
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2021 2:24 PM

Dec 2020
I rate dropped to remind myself how much I hated the series.

I changed once from 1/10 to PTW though. Because a sequel was highly rated. I usually trust MAL ratings of anime in the top 1000. It gets out of control above that.

Nobody can stop you, even if you play with ratings on just one account. As long as you think you're fine, you can do however you want. Otherwise, I had to send all people that gave 1/10 to some series into some unpleasant isekai.
Forum avatar: Lu, from Isekai Nonbiri Nouka
Feb 7, 2021 10:43 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I think it's only fair to rate it after you've finished. But rating it based on what you saw is fully acceptable as well. However yeah, don't rate an anime you dropped after one episode, that's not fair at all. Give it a couple chances at least; maybe till episode 3 or something

NYANPASU
5700XT

More topics from this board

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

93 by 924 »»
18 minutes ago

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - 11 hours ago

15 by Cammell »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top Favorited Anime

LittleStar - 5 hours ago

19 by DarkShame2 »»
33 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 3 )

Akuya - May 1

110 by rbp_pbr2 »»
35 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime

LittleStar - 3 hours ago

15 by DarkShame2 »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.