Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 27, 2021 11:22 AM

Apr 2020
Okay goddamn it Emilia as a child is so damn cute. And I've only realized this until now, but since Emilia is a half-elf then that means she has a longer lifespan, aww poor Subaru.

Well well WELL we got Emilia's backstory as she along with Echidna travels to memory lane. So Fortuna is not her biological mother but her aunt. And she took her in because their father and mother are "busy" with things in life. And in the village nearby, Fortuna with the elves traded (or I guess being relieved) by the Witch Cult with the holy hell a YOUNG BETELGUESE! If you watched Episode 17 of the first season, that's when Emilia and Betelguese saw each other for the first time, but damn they went all the way back, wow what a reveal.

Looks like Emilia-chan was a ruckus yet sweet at the same time. It seems that she's hailed as a princess or an important figure in her village, or she's isolated since she's a half-elf. And I can guess that her father which is a human made love with her mother, their identities are yet to be revealed. But anyways, looks like they're having good time (and damn seeing Betelguese as a normal man, how the hell did he end up as the psychopath that he is) and Emilia teasing him and Fortuna as mother and father (what a potential yet wasted ship on arrival). Until Regulus arrived and spiced up the scene. Did he cause the downfall of the village, maybe...we'll have to see. (Oh I'm kinda feeling that Regulus will be a big deal in Arc 5)

On the other side, Subaru is really flustered because Otto read his love letter to Emilia first. It's still weird that Garfiel calls Subaru "boss", when just a couple of episodes ago they are killing each other. But that's in the past. What's more interesting is that Shima is somewhat wounded, I wonder why.
Jan 27, 2021 11:23 AM

Apr 2018
My heart had a hard time while I was watching this. Emilia is just illegally cute.
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Jan 27, 2021 11:24 AM
Jan 2021
protect Emilia- tan !
Jan 27, 2021 11:26 AM

Dec 2015
This episode was extremely boring I almost fell asleep, hopefully next episode something will happen.
Jan 27, 2021 11:28 AM
Nov 2019
raiderublaze said:

Looks like Emilia-chan was a ruckus yet sweet at the same time. It seems that she's hailed as a princess or an important figure in her village, or she's isolated since she's a half-elf. And I can guess that her father which is a human made love with her mother, their identities are yet to be revealed. But anyways, looks like they're having good time (and damn seeing Betelguese as a normal man, how the hell did he end up as the psychopath that he is) and Emilia teasing him and Fortuna as mother and father (what a potential yet wasted ship on arrival). Until Regulus arrived and spiced up the scene. Did he cause the downfall of the village, maybe...we'll have to see. (Oh I'm kinda feeling that Regulus will be a big deal in Arc 5).

Slight correction. It is confirmed in this episode that her father is an elf (since Furtuna is Emilia's father sister, mentioned by her).

That means Emilia's mother is human (and a witch if Echidna words are to be believed from last episode)
Jan 27, 2021 11:37 AM
May 2019
Chroma said:
This episode was extremely boring I almost fell asleep, hopefully next episode something will happen.
Of course it will be boring for you since it focuses on Emilia, lol what do you expect?
Jan 27, 2021 11:40 AM
Jul 2016
Wow what a great episode. Much needed development for emeilia, and the trials are by far the BEST thing about season 2.

This is how you do exposition folks. No need for excessive drawn out dumps. It's much better to present the lore behind engaging flashbacks, where we can witness the scenes in action!

Hopefully the rest of re: zero S2 keeps this quality from the past couple of episodes. S2 is finally nearing S1 in terms of quality after a disappointing part 1.

Also, one thing I must praise about re: zero is it's genius cliffhangers. I've seen many anime, and re: zero cliffhangers reign among some of the best. I'm so excited to see more about the "main" villain of S2, which was absent from the majority of the show.
Jan 27, 2021 11:49 AM
May 2020
Another 29 minute episode

Jan 2021
Young Guese looked so innocent back then, I wonder what caused him to become what he is now.

Jan 2019
TheRantMan321 said:
Wow what a great episode. Much needed development for emeilia, and the trials are by far the BEST thing about season 2.

This is how you do exposition folks. No need for excessive drawn out dumps. It's much better to present the lore behind engaging flashbacks, where we can witness the scenes in action!

Hopefully the rest of re: zero S2 keeps this quality from the past couple of episodes. S2 is finally nearing S1 in terms of quality after a disappointing part 1.

Also, one thing I must praise about re: zero is it's genius cliffhangers. I've seen many anime, and re: zero cliffhangers reign among some of the best. I'm so excited to see more about the "main" villain of S2, which was absent from the majority of the show.

Season 2 Part 1 is better than entirety of Season 1.

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Jan 27, 2021 12:00 PM

Nov 2016
Wow, Geuse let himself go for real xD I guess next episode is gonna be brutal.

Smol Emilia > Emilia

She was hella cute.

Great ending, makes me so excited for the opening.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 27, 2021 12:12 PM

Jul 2013
Too much cuteness this episode. My heart wasn't ready

I'm so curious now what's gonna happen to Geuse. So excited for next week's episode
Jan 27, 2021 12:17 PM
Mar 2015
All sweetness and light until the archbishop of Greed appears
Jan 27, 2021 12:21 PM

Oct 2018
Young Emilia was so adorable, cute and funny ^^ Geuse.... what have happen to him in the past for be so different from theone we saw in the 1st season :o
Jan 27, 2021 12:21 PM

May 2018
Still no OP lmao

chibi Emilia is too cute lol, especially when she slides down the hill
Jan 27, 2021 12:22 PM

Mar 2017
I have no idea what is going on in these memories, but the sense of dread in my gut this entire episode tells me this week was the calm before the storm.

The reveal that Guese actually knew Emilia and her 'mother' left me speechless. He seems like a very kind and sweet person... so what the hell went wrong?!
Jan 27, 2021 12:27 PM

Apr 2020
ShiroNoFune said:
raiderublaze said:

Looks like Emilia-chan was a ruckus yet sweet at the same time. It seems that she's hailed as a princess or an important figure in her village, or she's isolated since she's a half-elf. And I can guess that her father which is a human made love with her mother, their identities are yet to be revealed. But anyways, looks like they're having good time (and damn seeing Betelguese as a normal man, how the hell did he end up as the psychopath that he is) and Emilia teasing him and Fortuna as mother and father (what a potential yet wasted ship on arrival). Until Regulus arrived and spiced up the scene. Did he cause the downfall of the village, maybe...we'll have to see. (Oh I'm kinda feeling that Regulus will be a big deal in Arc 5).

Slight correction. It is confirmed in this episode that her father is an elf (since Furtuna is Emilia's father sister, mentioned by her).

That means Emilia's mother is human (and a witch if Echidna words are to be believed from last episode)

Oh so basically I just swapped them both, well I was almost there.
Jan 27, 2021 12:27 PM
Jun 2016
Gilgameshuu said:
ANOTHER 29 MINUTE EPISODE?? GOODNESS WF! You're very generous!

Still no OP, but they played the ED at the end but no visuals.

The music at the end isnt a new ost its the ending song, hopefully we see a video soon but i cant complain 29 minutes of pure content is amazing
Jan 27, 2021 12:28 PM

Dec 2015
Sayali567 said:
Chroma said:
Of course it will be boring for you since it focuses on Emilia, lol what do you expect?

I don't watch this anime because of "waifus".
This episode's was just a little bit Emilia's back story so this episode just falls under pure Emilia's fanservice.

I guess when I don't like some type of fanservice it's just a matter of execution.

:>
Jan 27, 2021 12:29 PM

Apr 2020
Here are some of the pictures of Emilia when she was just an adorable child:

Jan 27, 2021 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
SarahUzumaki123 said:
Gilgameshuu said:
ANOTHER 29 MINUTE EPISODE?? GOODNESS WF! You're very generous!

Still no OP, but they played the ED at the end but no visuals.

The music at the end isnt a new ost its the ending song, hopefully we see a video soon but i cant complain 29 minutes of pure content is amazing
nah bro he is taking about the Regulus entrance pay close attention you will hear new ost
Jan 27, 2021 12:35 PM

Jan 2019
Chroma said:
Sayali567 said:

This episode's was just a little bit Emilia's back story so this episode just falls under pure Emilia's fanservice.

I guess when I don't like some type of fanservice it's just a matter of execution.

Telling backstory of a main character = fan service

Get out of here.

Everytime people proves my theory on Re:Zero Haters. Check my profile for theory.

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Jan 27, 2021 12:36 PM

Feb 2014
As I thought, another episode with a longer run time than normal which is great, but once again, there's no sign of the OP or ED visuals at all. However, the ED song by Nonoc played and it was a pretty good song, too.

Anyway, the big standout of this episode was Emilia in her smol loli form. She's just damn cute!!! X3

Seeing her past when she was playing around was cute. I do like her aunt, Fortuna, who's acting like a foster mother for Emilia, but the surprise for me is Guese. Considering I'm always known him as a complete wacko, but here in the past, he was a completely normal guy.

Overall, this episode was really good and a great insight into Emilia's past amongst other surprising things about Guese. Sadly, the calm is going to end and a storm will begin, as the trio was greeted by the Archbishop of Greed himself. I'm bracing myself for what might come next time...
Jan 27, 2021 12:37 PM
Jan 2021
Love the episode and Love Emilia
Jan 27, 2021 12:39 PM
Jan 2021
Sayali567 said:
Chroma said:

calm down kid. No one likes you. Episode was insane and Emilia was precious.
Jan 27, 2021 12:42 PM
Apr 2012
Why did Geuse cry when he saw Emilia?
Jan 27, 2021 12:43 PM
Jul 2018
Chroma said:
Sayali567 said:

bro it's just calmness before the storm when these happy moments are ripped apart then it hurts :( although yeah it can be argued that some might find this episode boring
Jan 27, 2021 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
Heartyace said:
you can ask in general discussion thread they maybe able to answer it
Jan 27, 2021 12:54 PM

Mar 2018
Chroma said:
Sayali567 said:

Do you know what the word "fanservice" means?
Jan 27, 2021 12:57 PM

Feb 2013
swordmaster2551 said:
Bernkastle said:

Fortuna isn't Emilia's real mother, she's like a foster parent.
I never said she was her real mother

I did misread that users post though, completely skipped over the word fortuna cause that's not what I was asking. I was referring to the scene where fortuna calls Emilia's parent her brother and sister the Geuse corrected her to say brother and wife. I was asking if she was being overly familiar and just calling her sister in law her sister there or if she actually is Fortuna's sister.

Right, got it. To answer your question, in Japanese speech you refer to your sister-in-law in the same way you'd refer to a sister. Crunchyroll messed up the line, as well as Geuse's line right after.

He didn't say "You mean your brother... and his wife?" but "About your brother... and his wife..."
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jan 27, 2021 1:03 PM

Apr 2018
Once again, another great episode. It gets better and better by the episode. And also, another 29.5 minute episode!
Jan 27, 2021 1:07 PM

Jun 2015
With each passing week the story gets more intense and wilder. I think one of my most fav parts about this series as well is the bet Subaru made with Roswaal about finishing it all in this one lifetime which has added a succulent new dynamic to the story and what is happening each episode.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jan 27, 2021 1:15 PM

Jul 2014
Crashmatt said:
Great episode. I'm starting to get an idea of who Emilia's real mother is.
I have read the LN, but I have no idea who she was. I have some theories but that's that. If you do not mind, can you write your theory/idea ? (inside a spoiler tag, of course)

Enrav1x said:
Heartyace said:
you can ask in general discussion thread they maybe able to answer it
General discussion thread is full of spoilers for anime-only, so I don't think this a good idea to direct them there.

@Heartyace
It was a while since I've read vol. 14 of the LN, and I don't remember if it was stated there, but here it is why I think he cried.
Jan 27, 2021 1:15 PM

Jul 2014
So, this is obviously mostly laying the groundwork for the darker parts of Emilia's past - as acknowledged by Echidna calling this all "a warm-up" for the true Trial - but even here we can see some fragments of how Emilia became the character we know in the present, such as why promises are so important to her. I['m also guessing the seal has something to do with Puck, based on the frozen landscape in its immediate vicinity?

However, there's one thing I'm far more interested in thus far than Emilia's much-needed backstory: Betelgeuse. First off, hasn't like 400 years passed between these flashbacks and the present? If Betelgeuse has already lived a long time at this point, how old was he by the time of Arc 3? I was under the impression that he was human, so I'm a little bit confused on that front. That aside, I have to say I did not expect him to have known Emilia in the past, and seeing him as anything but the intimidating madman we saw in season 1 is certainly quite strange.

And then there's the "return" of Regulus after being entirely absent since his mysterious appearance at the start of the second season. I was working under the assumption that his presence there was a long-game move to sow the seeds for a later arc, so I'm a little surprised to see him make another appearance. Not that I'm complaining though, as we might learn a few more things about him and Echidna from his actions here (he is the Archbishop of Greed, after all). At the very least, with Betelgeuse still being sane at this point, it's intriguing to learn that the Witch's Cult did exist at that point.

A lot of gaps still to be filled, but a very promising start to Emilia's trial.
Jan 27, 2021 1:17 PM
Sep 2008
Bernkastle said:
swordmaster2551 said:
I never said she was her real mother

I did misread that users post though, completely skipped over the word fortuna cause that's not what I was asking. I was referring to the scene where fortuna calls Emilia's parent her brother and sister the Geuse corrected her to say brother and wife. I was asking if she was being overly familiar and just calling her sister in law her sister there or if she actually is Fortuna's sister.

Right, got it. To answer your question, in Japanese speech you refer to your sister-in-law in the same way you'd refer to a sister. Crunchyroll messed up the line, as well as Geuse's line right after.

He didn't say "You mean your brother... and his wife?" but "About your brother... and his wife..."

did not know that, thank you for this :)
Jan 27, 2021 1:25 PM
Sep 2020
Jaereku said:
Chroma said:

Do you know what the word "fanservice" means?
Hmm maybe he/she thinking heroine more screentime+Loli+Heartwarming+SOL= fans service...
Jan 27, 2021 1:31 PM
Nov 2014
emilia and petelgeuse's young days are heartwarming to watch, mother fortuna is so cute :)

regulus corneas the witch's archbishop of greed, the asshole who destroyed our beloved waifu rem is here to ruin our happiness, i hate this guy grr.

petelgeuse is a very good character, when he was a good guy and not a crazy ass archbishop of sloth like he was in S1.
Jan 27, 2021 1:39 PM

May 2016
This is bad news... this little chibi might trigger something bad for me.
jokes aside damn she was such a cute brat. little Emilia. 10/10
Jan 27, 2021 1:44 PM

Apr 2015
Small Emilia is super adorable!!!!

Love to see Geuse in a different light in this episode, before he got all wacky and sloth, desu!
Jan 27, 2021 1:44 PM

Mar 2018
no way would not have guessed that geused was a normal guy and was friendly with emilia from the start
Jan 27, 2021 1:54 PM

Apr 2020
Look how they massacred my boy

Jan 27, 2021 1:56 PM

Dec 2015

Didn't you read my last post?

The amount of time focused of Emilia's cuteness greatly surpassed the amount of plot reveled in this episode.

Sorry I don't check profiles.
Jan 27, 2021 2:03 PM
Apr 2017
Chroma said:
Sayali567 said:

Since when establishing characters and the world is fan service? it's obvious a set up to feel something when shit hit the fan.

And this is not for Emilia, it's for Fortuna, Guese and the elfs.

Let alone all the mistery about the seal and her parents AND why she was so obsessed with promises.

Oh look a kid acting like a kid, FaN SeRVIce.
Jan 27, 2021 2:09 PM
Apr 2016
I really wonder why did Petelgeuse (Betelgeuse?) act like he didn't know Emilia in the episode 17 of the first season...
Jan 27, 2021 2:25 PM

Nov 2017
Emilia is so cute when she is a kid! <3
Jan 27, 2021 2:27 PM
Mar 2016
I have to say I'm happy I refreshed on Memory snow before this episode.
Jan 27, 2021 2:29 PM

May 2012
Smol Emilia is best Emilia!

Very emotional episode. Missed two weeks of so binge watching made it feel more impactful. Mother Fortuna is a wonderful mother to Emilia and seeing young and not crazy Geuse is.. odd. I really curious to see what made him turn the way he did. By the cliffhanger I'' find out next week.

Also loving the fact that Echidna is jealous. She really was mad that Subaru rejected her offer. It seems like she had caught feeling for a man who can talk to her like a person and not a witch. Seeing her take it out on Emilia is pretty funny. She really not being mean, but more catty. Even though that's not her style and starts slowly becoming her non-caring self again.

I feel like next week is going to be a really sad ass episode. Guess I got time to prepare.
Jan 27, 2021 2:31 PM

Jul 2017
It was fine. I wasn't that particularly blown away or interested or charmed by the Emilia backstory episode but it did its part for the story to progress in the future, especially when it came to fleshing out Emilia's character more and more.
Jan 27, 2021 2:33 PM

May 2009
Omg, those puffy sulking cheeks being un-puffed hahaha! What a short scene, but quite adorably funny.
Jan 27, 2021 2:34 PM
Jul 2009

So, not sure if it's a mistranslation in my sub but does Fortuna and her brother have ANOTHER sister? When Fortuna says " If the worst were to happen I could never face my brother and sister."
He responds: "You mean your brother and his.....wife..."
Shakes her head then says "It's alright, I know."
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» am i the only one who thinks re:zero season 2 is just kinda okay? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shmoomp - Jan 27, 2021

411 by AboutFollower03 »»
Apr 18, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 24, 2021

616 by 2772510 »»
Apr 18, 4:33 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 17, 2021

489 by Salah_og »»
Apr 8, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Best thing about Re:Zero Poll

AshTheChamp - Jan 5

27 by kecri »»
Apr 3, 9:04 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Jan 13, 2021

621 by haminshamin »»
Apr 3, 8:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.