Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Dec 21, 2020 12:05 PM

Jan 2015
HyperL said:
Inferno792 said:

16 episodes are not gonna be enough for the entire remaining content. So we're gonna have part 2/movie. This is AoT we're talking about so the number of episodes shouldn't be a barrier to making the highest quality episodes they can.

I know that, but they still are contractually obligated to cover everything up to chapter 122. 32 chapters in 16 episodes is still such a tight fit it's not possible to include everything.

I don't think it's confirmed that they're gonna adapt till 122, but it does seem it'll be around that seeing the pacing.

What I'm saying is that if they needed more episodes, why wasn't it done? This isn't a small new manga adaption to test the waters. This is a full fledged, globally popular series so a few more episode count should hardly be something that should constrict them from putting forth the best quality material they can.
Dec 21, 2020 12:11 PM

Mar 2020
This ep was truly amazing! They skipped some things ofc, but it still was amazing. Also, i love the colors so much they are so aesthetic<3
Dec 21, 2020 12:23 PM

May 2016
Reiner grew so much from a lousy brat to a warrior, and the amount of character development was insanely decent.
Finally Sexy new style shows up not many gonna like him probably xD.

Can't wait for the next episode festival.
Dec 21, 2020 12:33 PM

May 2016
Inferno792 said:
HyperL said:

I know that, but they still are contractually obligated to cover everything up to chapter 122. 32 chapters in 16 episodes is still such a tight fit it's not possible to include everything.

I don't think it's confirmed that they're gonna adapt till 122, but it does seem it'll be around that seeing the pacing.

What I'm saying is that if they needed more episodes, why wasn't it done? This isn't a small new manga adaption to test the waters. This is a full fledged, globally popular series so a few more episode count should hardly be something that should constrict them from putting forth the best quality material they can.

They simply don't get all or even any control of how many episodes they get. The sponsors at the top decide how things get done and they only care about making easy money.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Dec 21, 2020 12:40 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was gorgeous. I loved the analysis scene when it showed all the Warriors and told it's strength and showed their user. This just added more to Bert, Annie, and Reiner's character arcs. Amazing.
Dec 21, 2020 1:05 PM

Mar 2017
This episode made me feel quite sick; a country that can have its children face those kinds of horrors, mental pressure, and despair is one hell of a twisted nation. It seems like Reiner has some kind of plan or idea, but it's not clear what it is but it appears to center on the new warrior candidates.

One thing made clear this episode is actually how alike Reiner and Eren were as teenagers. I feel like this is part of what's shaped Reiner as an adult and what has made him so confused as to his loyalty to Marley; seeing that this 'demon' was just like him.

I knew it! I knew that dude with the long hair is Eren. Very interesting... I wonder how he ended up in the Marleyan army & if he truly feels like he doesn't want to go home. It seems like he's seen some shit in the last 4 years...
Dec 21, 2020 1:48 PM

Jan 2020
Eren my man! Glad to see him again.
Dec 21, 2020 2:11 PM

Sep 2017
Ahhhhh Reiner just keeps getting better and better holy shit. And omf that was def Eren at the end. I'm so fucking hype.
Dec 21, 2020 2:15 PM

Jul 2019
Nice episode. Seeing the other side of things in the first seasons is super interesting. Reiner trying to compensate for Marcel#s death and eeverything leading up to this suicide attempt...

Long haired emo Eren best Eren. He is in a bad mood and Falco is right to assume that this Vet has seen some stuff out there.
Dec 21, 2020 2:32 PM
Aug 2020
SnipELateness said:
Damn they really jam-packed a lot of content into this 1 episode. If you want to know what you missed, read ch 94-97
Is there a possibility they will revisit any cut content? I am a bit concerned about spoiling a plot point for myself if they bring it up later.
Dec 21, 2020 2:37 PM
Aug 2019
Neil1998 said:
Dread_Lord said:
Why doesn't Marcel become a titan before ymir ate him? i don't get it

The thing is that entire scene where he gets eaten happens in a slow Mo. If Marcel had tried to save Reiner by transforming into a Titan, it would have been already too late as by that point Reiner would have been eaten. The same goes for him when he got captured as well. In reality that all happened in a matter of seconds, so it wouldn't have mattered if he had transformed as it would have been already too late.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Marcel couldn't have transformed into a titan. He probably could of when he was grabbed even if he did only have a second or two; I'd attribute it to him being unprepared for such a situation where he'd need to do so and failed to act in time.
Dec 21, 2020 3:24 PM

Jun 2020
I'm guessing that was Eren at the end, well shit. I am in for a treat.
Dec 21, 2020 3:57 PM

Oct 2013
Inferno792 said:
HyperL said:

Kingdom that got delayed because of covid starts in April, also the trailer went shows scene from chapter 122 a leaker said everything in the trailer will be in the anime and it make sense because it would be false advertisement to show those scenes in the trailer if they were not planned to be in the anime.

And base off the current pacing its definitely going 122, maybe even surprise us and go 123.
Dec 21, 2020 4:08 PM
Dec 2020
The pacing this season really feels like a movie. Episode 1 was weak and the movie like pacing didn’t do too well for it. Episode 2 on the other hand (as an anime only) did a really good job at cramming a lot of information in a short amount of time. It doesn’t have any of the “anime pauses” that other shows suffer from so I think this is good. Finally episode 3 again did a really good job and again a LOT of information was given to us in this episode but for me it worked really well. There were just a few moments that were kind of average but as a whole I thought this was a really well done episode. The scene transitions were really nice and the direction was very good. The reiner suicide scene was pretty good and did make me actually feel emotions but I think more could’ve been done to increase the impact. Maybe if they spent more time building it up to create tension. Anyway I started this season off very skeptics and episode 1 really made me worried about this season but episode 3 has set a standard that I would love to keep. Also the reveal of Eren was also super cool and i thought it was very effective. I really hope that MAPPA can deliver what the manga readers want because AoT is known for its excellence in adaptation so I hope it delivers. Fast pacing can be useful if done right but can take away from something if done wrong so I hope that impactful scenes that may happen later on are treated correctly.
Dec 21, 2020 4:13 PM
May 2012
16 episodes just aren't enough.... The pacing is too fast.
Dec 21, 2020 6:13 PM
Apr 2020
I liked it, setting everything up for what is about to come next. The backstory and information on the 3 was good. A little fast-paced, but nothing important was forgotten. The perspective of the characters we amazing, especially seeing Reiner going through what life has thrown at him. It does show who he is as a person/adult, poor man. Seeing Eren again was very pleasant, especially with my personal favorite words spoken from anime. Real character development. I am just eagerly awaiting the next episodes.
Dec 21, 2020 7:00 PM

Sep 2016
This was a fire eps but i wanna know like when the jaw titan got eaten by ymir, im wondering why none of the team didnt transform to fight her like were they not able to or what?
Facta Non Verba
Dec 21, 2020 7:03 PM

Mar 2018
shogunwolfdyvine said:
This was a fire eps but i wanna know like when the jaw titan got eaten by ymir, im wondering why none of the team didnt transform to fight her like were they not able to or what?

Because Isayama came with the story as he went along. So plotholes like these are inevitable.
Dec 21, 2020 7:14 PM

Oct 2013
shogunwolfdyvine said:

Pretty obvious, they were shock at what happen and simple ran, also first time seeing a titan.

Alpha_Druid said:
shogunwolfdyvine said:

Because Isayama came with the story as he went along. So plotholes like these are inevitable.

Wut, this was shown way back in chapter 38 and it clearly showed how scared they were, lmao you are acting like its the first we are seeing this flashback, we have seen this a million times now to the point it has become a meme.

You could argue and said they should have just transform and fight Ymir, but I could also argue that its the first time they are seeing titans and it happen so fast and out of nowhere they were just in shock and ran, like how the anime showed and like how it was shown a million times already.

A plot hole is something that cannot be debated.
keragammingDec 21, 2020 7:18 PM
Dec 21, 2020 7:21 PM

Sep 2020
Goddam!!!!!! Shit is about to get real. I can feel it!!!!
Sooooo, this answers a LOT of questions back from Season 1
AMAZING!!!

Mess with waifu, lose your laifu
Dec 21, 2020 7:42 PM

Aug 2018
Yay.They butchered everything that made Reiner a compelling character.You don't get to see his desperateness,his very zeal to be a Marleyan.You never get to see his monologues.The inner conflict he goes through.The dilemma whether the scouts where his friends or not.Hks inner turmoil and years of trauma is the very reason he wanted to commit sucide.

Did I mention how Marcel just becomes a 3 min cameo character whose only purpose was to be get eaten by Ymir.They didn't even explain the circumstances under which he's eaten.It comes off as the invasion squad was dumb enough to not even transform.What about him being the guy who everyone looks upto?What about him being the brain behind the invasion squad?

They even skipped the part where titans chase around the invasion squad.
Hey,they didn't skip anything important.They just skipped important scenes which made Reiner a compelling character.Tbh who cares about someone like Reiner.So,I'm gonna score it 10/10.
Dec 21, 2020 7:58 PM
Dec 2020
sonofbatmanrp13 said:
Yay.They butchered everything that made Reiner a compelling character.You don't get to see his desperateness,his very zeal to be a Marleyan.You never get to see his monologues.The inner conflict he goes through.The dilemma whether the scouts where his friends or not.Hks inner turmoil and years of trauma is the very reason he wanted to commit sucide.

Did I mention how Marcel just becomes a 3 min cameo character whose only purpose was to be get eaten by Ymir.They didn't even explain the circumstances under which he's eaten.It comes off as the invasion squad was dumb enough to not even transform.What about him being the guy who everyone looks upto?What about him being the brain behind the invasion squad?

Hey,they didn't skip anything important.They just skipped important scenes which made Reiner a compelling character.Tbh who cares about someone like Reiner.So,I'm gonna score it 10/10.
welp many anime onlies still loved it. so idk what your talking about. yea its very dissapointing that they made those cuts but overall execution and reiner's mental state was captured perfectly like whta did they cut which was so important to reiners charater that wasn't mentioned at all.
->He was weak in everything(check)
->Marcel being mere cameo(was it any different in manga?)
->titans chase them(yea i hated that they removed that)
->i think marcel's importance was well captured in dialogue and if u watched it without subs no one can help it.
-> Inner conflict was easily shown as he tries to commit suicide after remembering his days with survey corps and eren.
->the farmers thing will be mentioned again soon if u want more inner conflict
->invasion squad dumb enough not to transform(its literally the fucking same in the manga wdym?)
-> almost every anime only loves Reiner as their fav charac now, so many people wont get what you r saying.
Dec 21, 2020 8:00 PM

May 2018
Holy shit. I just want to rewatch this series from the start. Or carry off on where I stopped with the manga..
Dec 21, 2020 8:15 PM
Dec 2020
Seijatachiiii said:
Holy shit. I just want to rewatch this series from the start. Or carry off on where I stopped with the manga..
rewatch it cause u r going to see stuff animated anyway
Dec 21, 2020 8:39 PM

Oct 2017
They cut out a few things but it was still a great episode.
Dec 21, 2020 9:10 PM
Dec 2009
That Eren reveal shocked me in the end. 10/10 episode again, I hope they keep it up because everything has been so good.
Malloween Candies (2023):
6 main candies
Dec 21, 2020 9:37 PM

Jan 2014
A pretty good episode overall the only real concern I had was the pacing as it seemed rather fast and based on comments from others it seems I was not the only one to have that perspective. I will have to check out the Manga eventually after this season concludes I have resisted the urge ever since the first season thus far so I think I can weather it out!

Seeing Reiner in the flashback was insightful to say the least seeing him as a scared creature clawing for survival and the glimpse of his warrior survival instinct compared to the internally conflicted but dependable warrior he would become was fantastic. Seems despite his best efforts those he fought alongside with had more of an affect on him then he wants to accept inflicting a storm of inner turmoil within his psyche that he is constantly wrestling with. Leading to the present time in the story where he nearly killed himself with a gun in his mouth!

But, a really great closeout for this episode had to be Falco receiving wisdom from the wounded solider he encountered in the previous episode especially as the more I listened the more this guy sounded familiar and then once the episode gave us a shot of his face I was just thinking those are some piercing eyes they look just like . . . . O-O damn very interested to see what is next in store and what direction the story will steer our various collection of characters it is certainly very exciting ^-^

Dec 21, 2020 9:39 PM

Dec 2018
This ep was good but also a little disappointing imo.

I am definitely liking the new CD's compared to previous seasons. They look really closer to manga counterparts, have more detail to them, look more realistic and every character look their age.

The scenes on the info of Titan shifters was really good and creative. Also the speech by the hobo guy at the end was highlight of the ep. Also they nailed the Rinner's suicide attempt.

The ep was really paced up and had lots of cut from manga to the absolute necessity for the story.

There was no room for the content of ep to sink in and it took a rewatch immediately after, for the ep content to sink in despite me being a manga reader.

The transition between scenes were so fast I literally forgot very obvious stuff from previous seasons (regarding Rinner) and scenes lost their impact due to this.

The scenes that I really wanted to see like RBA planning and struggle to to infiltrate wall maria, scenes regarding their investigations on whereabouts of Founding Titan (which made the scene between kenny and annie random) were cut and one of my main reasons for disappointment with ep.

Another disappointing thing in ep was OST use in ep at the start of flashback, it doesn't suit the scene at all. They shouldn't have used any music for that part to increase the impact. OP didn't suit the ep at all and tyey should have skipped it in favour of some more flashback.

Overall 8/10
Dec 21, 2020 9:40 PM
Mar 2020
Who else enjoys Annie's new look in S4?
Dec 21, 2020 9:52 PM

Aug 2018
Harsha1314 said:
sonofbatmanrp13 said:

welp many anime onlies still loved it. so idk what your talking about. yea its very dissapointing that they made those cuts but overall execution and reiner's mental state was captured perfectly like whta did they cut which was so important to reiners charater that wasn't mentioned at all.
->i think marcel's importance was well captured in dialogue and if u watched it without subs no one can help it.
-> Inner conflict was easily shown as he tries to commit suicide after remembering his days with survey corps and eren.
->invasion squad dumb enough not to transform(its literally the fucking same in the manga wdym?)
-> almost every anime only loves Reiner as their fav charac now, so many people wont get what you r saying.
Ymir blindsided the invasion squad while Reiner was giving a pity speech.Marcel saved him at the very last moment and no-one had time for transformation as they were occupied with Reiner.

I'm talking about the stuff which led Reiner to take the step of suicide.They didn't explore him in detail.Did they even explore the whole warrior vs titan thing.Marcel maybe a minor character but he plays an important role in influencing Reiner and his actions.Everyone looked upto Marcel.He was kinda their leader and took sound judgements.Here he's the guy who gets eaten by Ymir.Reiner acted as Marcel.He always helped his regiment members and everyone looked upto him.I know all of this is shown in past seasons but they should have acknowledged itMaybe a small monatage.It just came out in a condensed sentence from Annie,"Can you kill your friends?".That's it.

This episode clearly cut a lot of content and packed a load into a single episode.I'm mad at the pacing and the minute details they skipped.The emotional impact is decreased.It's not like the episode is bad but I enjoyed it a lot less.
Dec 21, 2020 10:01 PM
Dec 2020
sonofbatmanrp13 said:
Harsha1314 said:
Ymir blindsided the invasion squad while Reiner was giving a pity speech.Marcel saved him at the very last moment and no-one had time for transformation as they were occupied with Reiner.

I'm talking about the stuff which led Reiner to take the step of suicide.They didn't explore him in detail.Did they even explore the whole warrior vs titan thing.Marcel maybe a minor character but he plays an important role in influencing Reiner and his actions.Everyone looked upto Marcel.He was kinda their leader and took sound judgements.Here he's the guy who gets eaten by Ymir.Reiner acted as Marcel.He always helped his regiment members and everyone looked upto him.I know all of this is shown in past seasons but they should have acknowledged itMaybe a small monatage.It just came out in a condensed sentence from Annie,"Can you kill your friends?".That's it.

This episode clearly cut a lot of content and packed a load into a single episode.I'm mad at the pacing and the minute details they skipped.The emotional impact is decreased.It's not like the episode is bad but I enjoyed it a lot less.
yeah overall impact wasn't as much as in the manga but it did convey Reiner's character really well and captured his internal struggle. the pace was fast. as a manga reader this ep may have been 8/10 for almost everyone but for the anime onlies it mustve been a 9. you see as manga readers we may not feel the same about the episode realtive to some others. so even if the anime onlies felt what we felt back when we read the manga, we won't feel it nearly the same. also i kinda rushed through all those chapters, so maybe i didn't feel as much difference but some of the more outstanding scenes such as annie luring the hoarde of titans and annie and kenny scene also the reiner cramming in exam scene not being added stood out to me. other than those most of the other scenes didn't stand out as much not even the marcel one
Harsha1314Dec 21, 2020 11:34 PM
Dec 21, 2020 11:02 PM
May 2015
As an "anime only", I'm not understanding the ending and I guess the overall setting on the final season. How far in the future is this compared to last season? Eren is busted af and Reiner wants to commit suicide. When/how did Eren even get in? I assume everything will be explained later, but as someone who didn't read the manga, the time skips are really getting to me. Lol. I understood reiner, bertholdt, annie past and the events that led up to the very first episode in season 1, but this "new present" being x amount of years from season 3 is getting to me a little. haha
Roses are red

violets are blue.

Omae Wa

Mou shindeiru
Dec 21, 2020 11:26 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This episode felt so short. Great backstory for the infiltration operation, really builds up the trio's profile.
And of course, is that who I think it is at the end?
Dec 21, 2020 11:28 PM
Dec 2020
flareneos43 said:
As an "anime only", I'm not understanding the ending and I guess the overall setting on the final season. How far in the future is this compared to last season? Eren is busted af and Reiner wants to commit suicide. When/how did Eren even get in? I assume everything will be explained later, but as someone who didn't read the manga, the time skips are really getting to me. Lol. I understood reiner, bertholdt, annie past and the events that led up to the very first episode in season 1, but this "new present" being x amount of years from season 3 is getting to me a little. haha
4 years into future after the retake wall maria operation
Dec 21, 2020 11:28 PM
Dec 2020
flareneos43 said:
how eren infilatrated comes in way later so waiting is inevitable
Dec 21, 2020 11:29 PM
Dec 2020
flareneos43 said:
yeah people need to give a lot of attention to dialogue
Dec 21, 2020 11:54 PM

Jan 2015
keragamming said:
Inferno792 said:

Kingdom that got delayed because of covid starts in April, also the trailer went shows scene from chapter 122 a leaker said everything in the trailer will be in the anime and it make sense because it would be false advertisement to show those scenes in the trailer if they were not planned to be in the anime.

And base off the current pacing its definitely going 122, maybe even surprise us and go 123.

I think the manga was around that chapter when we got the trailer, which may be the reason they included all that stuff. If they're making a part 2, it's not really false advertising.
Dec 22, 2020 1:33 AM

Dec 2017
Chunky episode full of nice information.

The only thing I didn't understand at all was the scene with Annie and Kenny. It felt very forced in without any context, are they actually related? I hope it will be explained later.

So far, I don't think there is any villain but Marleyans. Even the Eldians who have been brainwashed by them don't have any fault (Okay, maybe Zeke). All Eldians should come together and overtake Marley (again). Anyway, loved seeing Eren and I can't wait to see what he will do.

Please no manga-reader quote me with hints or spoilers, I literally just want to know if the Annie/Kenny scene will be explained later. Let people enjoy things, thank you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2020 1:40 AM

Oct 2020
sea-lemon said:

The only thing I didn't understand at all was the scene with Annie and Kenny. It felt very forced in without any context, are they actually related? I hope it will be explained later.

So far, I don't think there is any villain but Marleyans. Even the Eldians who have been brainwashed by them don't have any fault (Okay, maybe Zeke). All Eldians should come together and overtake Marley (again). Anyway, loved seeing Eren and I can't wait to see what he will do.

Please no manga-reader quote me with hints or spoilers, I literally just want to know if the Annie/Kenny scene will be explained later. Let people enjoy things, thank you.
No, Annie was just tailing him to find clues about the Founding Titan, since Kenny was close to the Reiss family and all. That dad thing was just an excuse she came up with when he found her out.
Dec 22, 2020 1:42 AM

Dec 2017
I_Am_Freeballing said:
sea-lemon said:

No, Annie was just tailing him to find clues about the Founding Titan, since Kenny was close to the Reiss family and all. That dad thing was just an excuse she came up with when he found her out.

I see, thanks. That makes sense as to why Reiner later apologised for making her do the bulk of the work.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2020 4:33 AM

Dec 2016
Damn those details when Reiner pulled that out of his mouth...'Ω'

I think they used Wit's animation of previous seasons for the old scenes.

After hearing the voice anime onlys now know that long haired hobo's identity. This is when Manga is more exciting to read...poor anime onlys...

I watched Jujutsu Kaisen episode 12 before watching this so I was like “Waah! Itadori!” XD (Enoki Junya voiced the child Reiner)
Dec 22, 2020 5:17 AM
May 2016
I was really happy with this episode overall. Thought it did a fantastic job at showing how fucked up the Warrior cadets were before they even came to Paradis. People complain about the cut to the season 1 stuff, but I honestly think getting to see those iconic scenes but now with the perspective of Reiner and Bertholdt is absolutely heart-breaking. Lends so much more weight to those scenes now that you've seen the ones controlling those terrifying monstes were just brainwashed children.
Dec 22, 2020 7:27 AM

Apr 2012
chiearlymorning said:
CrisCri said:
I don't understand what's going on, but I'm loving it

I recommend you read chapters 95,96,97 to understand more.

Thanks! I guess I'll do it
Dec 22, 2020 10:45 AM

Aug 2019
Welp, watched this 2 days later bc i was travelling so yeah... just wanted to write this for future reference.

We got to know a bit more about reiner and his friends, although i have to say, if i hadn't watched a video explaining this episode and really pointing out what is going on I would be a bit lost. Thanks Gabi Xavier!

But yeah, I loved the scened where Anne, Reiner and Berthold were destroying that other nation, i think the animation looked great. And oh wow! Eren is in Marley... i thought about it for some time and i couldn't come to any reason why or how he's there.

Is he gonna turn into a titan and go berserk at the Hammer titan announcement cerimony? Where are all the other people? I think we'll see a lot of action in the next episode and i'm really excited because we're only 3 episodes in and if we're gonna see the big stuff right away, what on earth is gonna happen in the end?

Big hype.

FrostyinsideDec 22, 2020 10:49 AM
Dec 22, 2020 5:51 PM

May 2009
Still can not fanthom how Eldians within Marley can be so brainwashed.
Dec 22, 2020 6:58 PM
May 2020
eren looks a lot like his father now
Dec 22, 2020 10:52 PM
Mar 2018
Shoryuuken said:
Still can not fanthom how Eldians within Marley can be so brainwashed.

Nearly 100 years of fear and abandonment can do that.
Dec 22, 2020 11:17 PM

Feb 2014
I've always liked big brother kind of characters in shows I watch. Reiner was no exception when the first season aired. His camaraderie was so inspiring and strength to his mates. After the betrayal arc I was left broken seeing how deranged he became. But when I knew his upgrowing and the path to his warrior figure, he's like a sad soul longing for death everyday. But what keeps him going is his will to protect what he has around. Marcel's action toward building Reiner to replace his brother was a trigger Reiner can never forget and has made it his will to do it in his place. If only things were different for him, he could have been there with Eren as his guide, if only.....
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 23, 2020 10:45 AM

Nov 2008
I've been holding off on writing a little review for this episode because the reactions have been very positive once again, and sometimes I just don't feel like being the weirdo, but here we are.

I didn't like the episode for multiple reasons. I probably won't be able to list them all from the top of my head but I'll try.

The cut content breaks my heart like it did for many others, yes, but what I find even more painful is the pacing of each individual scene. Even with every little segment of dialogue or scene that they omitted (KODANSHA and MAPPA's executives are to blame here, not the staff obviously), no scene actually gets the space to breathe in order to grow into something that doesn't just progress the plot in an amazing way (which it still does, the writing is just that good), but also becomes this well-paced, hyper focused, super confident moment of sheer poetic, philosophical and introspective beauty.

The Production Committee's release-plan (including the omission of important details as well as rushed scenes) doesn't allow key scenes to be built up in a slow, epic and highly personal way that makes us properly understand the significance of, let's say Reiner's meeting with his dad (followed up by the haunting image of his mother, mentioning his dad while waking him up from his daydream, which was omitted completely), Reiner's suicide attempt (the fast pace of this didn't allow for a lot of introspection during one of the most personal moments in the entire story, and the wide range of flashbacks that highlighted every single one of his inner conflicts really shouldn't have been cut), Falco's meeting with Eren (there are many, many, many parallels in this scene alone, its main function was in fact to tie every one of these parallels together in a slow and perfectly elaborated way but there sadly wasn't any space to have this scene creep up on the viewer like it should have, there was shock factor of course, but its exact meaning and parallels were sacrificed by the scene's pacing).

Human tragedy in fiction demands for a slower, more introspective, incredibly mature, and even daunting approach to storytelling for it to work not just as entertainment but as a piece of literature as well. We want to be confronted by the image on our screen, but we need to see it for a little longer than one or two seconds for this to actually happen. It's still a perfectly watchable, thrilling and highly entertaining show so it can easily be forgotten that these elements aren't really present anymore, but the complicated feelings of poetic beauty mixed with the heavy discomfort that gave Attack on Titan its distinct identity cannot be built through piles on top of piles of quickly paced scenes and cut content.

I have many more problems concerning the direction of a couple of scenes, storyboards, cinematography and the alteration of meaningful facial expressions, but I'll keep it to this for now.

Oh, and a final thing that I want to add is that I don't believe that S3P1's adaptation of Uprising makes for a good comparison to this season's adaptation of Marley Arc. S3P1 omitted a lot of Uprising's introspective potential, but gave us a brilliantly directed political thriller in exchange for this: Content was cut, yes, but the scenes that were there were given a little more time to breathe, and the fast pace actually added a lot of tension to the story's intrigue and razor sharp "power talk". The previous two episodes of The Final Season don't allow for as much political intrigue as the start of Uprising did, in fact, they're centered around the characterization and backstories of some of the most complicated figures that our story has to offer, so the current pacing cannot really benefit them like S3P1's pacing benefited the Arc's political intrigue while omitting some of its introspection. S3P1 also just had much more going for it visually than these episodes, not that they're bad, but the first 6 episodes of Uprising just happen to easily belong to the most consistent looking bits of the entire show. This obviously didn't help the pacing at all, but it benefited the overall quality of the show, and gave critics a highly positive aspect to focus their energy on. I saw someone mentioning this week that even the Sakuga Community doesn't concern themselves with the things that I concern myself with, but it shouldn't be too hard to believe that a random nameless nobody from the internet like myself knows more about the many abstractions of visual storytelling than a bunch of incredibly informed fans of animation production do. I would probably qualify as what people call a "cinephile" (disgusting word I know, but it kinda gives you a better idea of how I watch anime) and my friends that I discuss movies and AoT with have all brought up points similar to mine while discussing the last three episodes.

A side thing (well, it's not really a side thing, but I'm trying to keep this analysis a little more formal) is that Marley Arc's dense and highly detailed thematic expansion is just much more useful in understanding the extremely rich, complicated and hypocritical world of Attack on Titan than Uprising ever was. Uprising zooms in; Marley Arc zooms out, zooms in, zooms out, and zooms in again in order to hand you the highly elaborate and deeply personal philosophies and expansion of the story's morals one needs in order to access the many hearts of of Attack on Titan's on-going historical conflict.

Once again, it's still a highly entertaining show, but it sadly lacks many of the aspects that make for a great philosophical work of fiction.

(I won't reply to comments about specific scenes that I pointed out btw, they were only examples; You can use the examples in order to recognize similar patterns in other scenes if you want.)
MironBironDec 23, 2020 11:37 AM
Dec 23, 2020 11:52 AM

Sep 2018
@MironBiron

I think the same and completely agree with the points you made about the S3P1. While it was also another butchering of an adaptation, it at least had great things going for it such as the animation, directing, music, and such compared to this season. Plus, like you said, the sense of pace in S3P1 was miles better than this. I never felt like they had barely enough time to adapt the chapters as each scene got decent attention and there were breathing rooms in-between. This feels very directionless and confused compared to it. Maybe they should have been more decisive and make it literally an Uprising 2.0 with the way they adapt the story instead of not being able to give the proper amount of time to any of the scenes.
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 28, 2021

692 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:11 AM

» The one thing I dont understand now is, why WIT censored so much the violence?

MAQS - Dec 20, 2020

26 by SoughtLi »»
Apr 28, 7:26 PM

Poll: » If Eren was in avatar...

TASM18 - Apr 17

18 by belugaanime »»
Apr 19, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 7, 2021

513 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 13, 8:01 AM

» Isayama: The Perfect Architect ( 1 2 )

Mikasa - Mar 29, 2021

65 by benisfroms »»
Apr 10, 8:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.