Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 1, 2020 12:19 PM

Oct 2019
I loved the original, so I'm kind of excited to see how it plays out.
Oct 1, 2020 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
ItachiIsGod said:
Honestly the original was already a masterpiece even with wacky looking art (which sometimes actually helps the horror aspect of the series).

I don't necessarily mind a remake, I am just very, very fearful that they're gonna ruin it by cutting out materials. Hopefully it will have multiple seasons as the original have like 50-60 episodes.

Imo a remake is only necessary if the original was a trainwreck (Fate/Stay Night) or its a Battle Shonen like HxH and better animation will always enhance the experience.

If it really turns out to be a disappointment, even if we convince the new-watchers that the original is better, their experience watching it won't be the same after already knowing the plot reveals.
So I can watch this without seeing previous season?
Oct 1, 2020 12:35 PM

Mar 2012
WatchTillTandava said:
I'm not going to be watching it, because as a general rule, I don't watch remakes/reboots/re-adaptations in either anime, live film, or any other medium when I'm already completely pleased with the first iteration.

All of the remakes I have watched are either:

A) Ones I have seen before the original, from happenstance or sheer ignorance; many as a younger child

B) Ones where the original is egregiously faulty or just plain sucks

Now, if this were a Higurashi sequel series, like Inuyasha is getting within days apart, based off any remaining content from the visual novels which takes place after the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku/Outbreak OVA released in 2013, or, possibly even better yet, a remake of the one entry in the When They Cry-verse which actually needs it desperately - Umineko - Then it would be a completely different matter and I'd be all over it big time.

I was so hoping this would be a sequel rather than a remake when they announced the news and was quite disappointed.

I simply don't see the purpose for me to watch a remake of a story which is already my #4 top anime of all time, one of my only 10/10s, and stellar in every respect (and the areas where it routinely receives criticism from some folks are either things I completely disagree with, like art and animation, or honestly don't care at all about, like it leaving material out or being a poor adaptation of the visual novel, since I'm watching the anime only for the story as presented in the anime and the story and execution in music, voice acting, visuals, every step of the way is friggin phenomenal and one of the most unique, thrilling, and moving experiences I've had with any media).

Edit: Also, as another general rule, I wouldn't be watching it for the visuals because I vastly prefer the look of most mid-2000s anime and earlier to most contemporary anime. The lush soft art style and warm colors perfectly suited the nostalgic and cozy summer vibe evocative of both early 1980s-era Hinamizawa and the mid-2000s when it was released.

The first anime was a really bad adaptation of the VN so it's pretty normal that the author want a decent one.
But tbh I think Higurashi can't be well adapted. Not because of a bad studio but because the way that the visual novel is build can't be well adapted in anime.
But still, there is too much problems with the first one so it's not a big problem here. I mean they litteraly cut the last part of chapter 3 which was REALLY important for the story, we can hope that the new anime won't do that !
Oct 1, 2020 1:13 PM

Apr 2009
I read the vn some 10 years ago, but still recall most of the pivotal story flags; it's one of the classics of the medium, after all. Seeing the gang back warms the cockles of my heart, and the amalgam of the nostalgia I feel for Higurashi and huge appreciation towards R07's works allows me to turn a blind eye to a fair chunk of the many bumps present in this episode, and likely in those to come.

So yes, I did enjoy it. にぱ〜s are as OLEV as ever, cicadas bode trouble in the making, and I'd absolutely let Rena take me home. But there are weak points: the art style leaves much to be desired (inb4 "just as R07's" - fair point), the direction weirds me out with its bizarreness, but the worst bit is: the creepiness is just not there. Higurashi (Onikakushi-hen; first arc) in its original rendition is goosebumps and taut terror, and by the end of this episode there should've been 2 or 3 moments that would send shivers down my spine. They fell flat, however, and it's making me a bit worried for what's to come. The studio and most of the staff working on this adaptation deal in ecchi and SoL, so I sure as hell hope their debut in heavier themes ends up being a success.

I loved the visual novel, I hated the og adaptation by Studio Deen. And while I'm sure this won't be a great adaptation, I hope it wedges itself between the vn and the 2007 anime on the quality scale instead of joining its older twin in the QUALITY abyss.

Oct 2, 2020 4:57 AM

Mar 2016
AmineDane said:
So I can watch this without seeing previous season?

Yes as its a remake, but I would recommend watching the old version though, episode 1 of the remake seems disappointing.
ItachiIsGodOct 2, 2020 6:37 AM
Oct 2, 2020 5:00 AM

Oct 2018
I recently finished the original, I cant watch this new version since the art style looks like shit.

Oct 2, 2020 5:00 AM

Jun 2013
> How do you feel about the remake of Higurashi?
Disgusted.
Oct 2, 2020 5:03 AM

Mar 2016
random_weirdo said:

Thank you for saying this! People who read the VN first tend to shit on the anime and say the story is rushed and lacks emotion... I feel it's the opposite. I had so many feels while seeing this series because of all the things you're citing (story, music, voice acting, etc) plus the amazing characters that it actually made be read the VNs. Which, by the way, is the only anime for which I've done that.

The VNs are great and there were things that could have been adapted better, especially in arcs 3, 5, and 6. But the anime in and of itself works perfectly.

And re: the art and animation, I actually liked it. I found the designs to be cute, and Satoko and Rika were so adorable that I squeaked at times at their cuteness. And then 3 seconds later they were pulling off the most horrifying faces and I loved that.

VN fans are the most annoying fanbase in the anime community.
I honestly don't give a shit how much material is left out from the VN because the anime adaptation did not left any unanswered question by the end.
ItachiIsGodOct 2, 2020 6:38 AM
Oct 2, 2020 5:09 AM

Jan 2014
ItachiIsGod said:

did not left any unanswered question by the end.

Yes, and at the same time a lot of questions ended up never being raised at all in the previous adaptation.
Oct 3, 2020 7:47 AM

Apr 2007
i wish they never made this.

I'm someone who likes to view everything from a given franchise (more like i feel obligated, a minor ocd really).

i was satisfied enough with the original animes and don't get why they would make this after so much time.
feels like just riding the waves of the reboot/remaster/remake trend around the world.

this felt unnecessary even before i watched the first episode and saw the bad art and voice acting.
Oct 4, 2020 2:10 PM

Dec 2015
People still care about this series?
Oct 6, 2020 5:01 AM

Mar 2009
As much as I like Higurashi, and it's always cool to get more of it, I really wish we got an Umineko remake instead.
Oct 6, 2020 5:57 AM

Jun 2007
As a fan of the old anime and the VN, I'm really happy with it so far. I feel like it's much closer to the feeling of the source material. This has the potential to turn into a FMAB type of remake and I'm here for it.
Oct 9, 2020 5:29 AM

Mar 2018
Serpent-niisama said:
Disgusted.

funny, because ryu likes manga adaptation over the old anime.
Oct 9, 2020 5:51 AM

Jun 2013
Phantomnocomics said:
Serpent-niisama said:
Disgusted.

funny, because ryu likes manga adaptation over the old anime.

May be true, can't really compare as I didn't read any Higurashi manga, not big fan of a manga anyway. But gotta clarify it was my opinion before episode 2, I'm not disgusted anymore and enjoying this sequel now. OG anime still was doing its job better and in right times tho =P
Oct 9, 2020 3:36 PM

Jun 2019
Extremely onboard and simultaneously in disbelief and cautious optimism now that I know it isn't a remake (thanks to this sub-forum blowing up last night and today).

Since I didn't start watching it from the beginning as I don't typically watch remakes intentionally, I'm glad I didn't just tune all news or discussions pertaining to it out or I would have missed out big time.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2021

395 by Stinkyanimebrap »»
Mar 19, 9:57 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2021

314 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2021

323 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 14, 2021

317 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jan 7, 2021

166 by Drinzen »»
Feb 17, 3:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.