Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 25, 2020 7:37 AM

Mar 2016
Honestly the original was already a masterpiece even with wacky looking art (which sometimes actually helps the horror aspect of the series).

I don't necessarily mind a remake, I am just very, very fearful that they're gonna ruin it by cutting out materials. Hopefully it will have multiple seasons as the original have like 50-60 episodes.

Imo a remake is only necessary if the original was a trainwreck (Fate/Stay Night) or its a Battle Shonen like HxH and better animation will always enhance the experience.

If it really turns out to be a disappointment, even if we convince the new-watchers that the original is better, their experience watching it won't be the same after already knowing the plot reveals.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 25, 2020 7:43 AM

Jun 2016
I no longer mind the new look after the latest trailer dropped although I still prefer how the old one looked. I'm happy they're bringing Kenji Kawai back. No matter how it turns out I'm still gonna watch it because I like the franchise.
Theo1899Sep 25, 2020 7:53 AM
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 25, 2020 7:51 AM
May 2009
As long as its an improvement similar to Kanon 2006 when they remade it.
Sep 25, 2020 7:51 AM

Feb 2020
I think I will be enjoying it regardless of how the adaptation turns out as well. The original series was great, the new art style I've gotten used to, and now being able to see a remake with all those "nice" scenes in HD...

Though I did hear that they will be following the visual novel even closer since there was a few things cut out in Deen's adaptation, but we will just have to wait and see.
Sep 25, 2020 7:58 AM

Nov 2019
I love the franchise so I'm obviously stoked for it and the one who made the character designs also designed the characters in Monogatari which is absolutely awesome!, from what I've seen in the trailer... I think the original will still remain superior when it comes to the "horror moments" but I really can't say anything, we only got to see that one teaser about Rena after all..

Sep 25, 2020 7:58 AM

Sep 2014
I hope it will be better than the original. The original had too much meh moment.
Sep 25, 2020 8:19 AM
Jan 2018
The original was pretty poorly adapted and I expect this one to be worse so it probably won’t be good at all. Already looks awful visually. Probably one of the worst looking shows of the year so far.
Sep 25, 2020 8:20 AM

Apr 2020
might be an omen
where producers will just recycle good old shows
instead of creating new masterpieces

Sep 25, 2020 8:27 AM

Aug 2016
The When They Cry series is one of my favourite franchises. And while I'm definitely not a fan of the new designs by any means, especially compared to the designs of the original adaptation, I'll probably still enjoy the new anime a lot. Hopefully the re-designs will grow on me over time.
On a side note, I hope this remake leads to more interest in a possible Umineko adaptation. I haven't seen the existing Umineko anime, but I hear its quite bad, the Visual Novel is one of my favourite pieces of fiction though.
Sep 25, 2020 8:30 AM
Jun 2020
Indifferent. I haven't seen the original anime, nor have I read any manga or played any games. I know little of it and I hope it goes well.
Sep 25, 2020 8:34 AM

Aug 2018
The new designs have grown on me but I am still worried about it
_______I like rocks__
Sep 25, 2020 8:44 AM
Jun 2017
I'm happy for the remake but an Umineko remake was much more needed.
Sep 25, 2020 8:50 AM

Jul 2020
I need to watch Higurashi the original before I can tell you about the remake.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2020 9:10 AM

Jul 2019
the original is one of the best things I have come across in the horror genre. I honestly think that the remake will be meh.
Sep 25, 2020 9:11 AM

Oct 2015
I did not watch the 2006 adaptation to its completion as I thought the visuals did not do justice to what should've been powerful and eerie scenes. I am well familiar with the VN though, and will be more than glad to experience a novel take on this franchise. Though I was somewhat disappointed that it wasn't Umineko that got the remake treatment since Higurashi's anime still stands on it's own in many respects whereas Umineko is just horrible.
Sep 25, 2020 9:12 AM

May 2011
I don't feel really sure with the people of Passione working on it.
Sep 25, 2020 9:13 AM

Jul 2016
Higurashi's remake looks pretty good but I have no idea how they're going to appeal to older fans due to the very nature of the show. We already know what's up with the mystery. It's likely just to appeal to newer fans so I don't have too strong an opinion on it's reason to exist.
Sep 25, 2020 9:14 AM

Nov 2008
I couldn't finish the 2006 one because it was too scary for me. xD Since I'm older now, I'll TRY to watch this one....but I'm still anxious about it.

The anime is bad for my health. xD

But I have MAD respect for the series; don't get me wrong. That first OP song is still amazing. I wonder how the new OP will be...I think it will be a challenge to beat the first.
ChiibiSep 25, 2020 9:19 AM

Sep 25, 2020 10:37 AM

Jan 2008
I enjoyed the original way back so I'm keen to see how it stacks up with more recent animation and how they tackle it. .
Sep 25, 2020 10:40 AM

Sep 2019
I really liked the original one but not sure about this remake. A lot of people didn’t like the art style of the original one but it was unique and it fit the series well. I didn’t like passionate art style it looks childish and unfitting to the series. Lets hope they don’t ruin for first time watchers.
Sep 25, 2020 4:00 PM

Nov 2009
I am super excited! I wonder how brutal certain scenes are gona be whether we’ll see more or less...excited to see my gal Rika again too.
(My inner weeb me from 2009 kinds of wish I had a second season of umineko though lol, I know a lot of people didn’t like it).
Sep 25, 2020 4:09 PM

May 2015
I do hope it still lives up to the original since it was just so good. But I was more looking forward to an Umineko adaptation rather than this. Especially since it is coming out on switch next year.
Sep 25, 2020 4:15 PM

Jan 2019
I really enjoyed the first adaptation even though the timeskip nature of it threw me off at first (never played/read the visual novels) so I'm looking forward to this reboot/remaster/remake/whatever.

As long as Rika is still masking her soul crushing loneliness and desperation with the cheerful use of the made up word "Nipah!" then I'd say it's worth a shot.
Sep 25, 2020 4:26 PM

Jun 2019
I'm not going to be watching it, because as a general rule, I don't watch remakes/reboots/re-adaptations in either anime, live film, or any other medium when I'm already completely pleased with the first iteration.

All of the remakes I have watched are either:

A) Ones I have seen before the original, from happenstance or sheer ignorance; many as a younger child

B) Ones where the original is egregiously faulty or just plain sucks

Now, if this were a Higurashi sequel series, like Inuyasha is getting within days apart, based off any remaining content from the visual novels which takes place after the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku/Outbreak OVA released in 2013, or, possibly even better yet, a remake of the one entry in the When They Cry-verse which actually needs it desperately - Umineko - Then it would be a completely different matter and I'd be all over it big time.

I was so hoping this would be a sequel rather than a remake when they announced the news and was quite disappointed.

I simply don't see the purpose for me to watch a remake of a story which is already my #4 top anime of all time, one of my only 10/10s, and stellar in every respect (and the areas where it routinely receives criticism from some folks are either things I completely disagree with, like art and animation, or honestly don't care at all about, like it leaving material out or being a poor adaptation of the visual novel, since I'm watching the anime only for the story as presented in the anime and the story and execution in music, voice acting, visuals, every step of the way is friggin phenomenal and one of the most unique, thrilling, and moving experiences I've had with any media).

Edit: Also, as another general rule, I wouldn't be watching it for the visuals because I vastly prefer the look of most mid-2000s anime and earlier to most contemporary anime. The lush soft art style and warm colors perfectly suited the nostalgic and cozy summer vibe evocative of both early 1980s-era Hinamizawa and the mid-2000s when it was released.

WatchTillTandavaSep 25, 2020 4:41 PM
Sep 25, 2020 5:42 PM

May 2018
I haven't seen the original and I'm not gonna see this one either because I'm not into dark stuff
Sep 25, 2020 6:19 PM

Jan 2015
>Higurashi Anime
>Masterpiece
Nah, It couldn't bring out the best of its original feeling from the source. It's DEEN with their stale animation, so they only adapt the supposed 'plot' but not the feeling nor emotion that comes with that. The paranoid feeling, the feeling of uncovering a horror mysteries layer by layer slowly with a creepy environment and paranoid feeling is nowhere present as depicted in the original source.

If there is a remake, I hope they could bring all these feeling the new adaption. To me, Higurashi isn't Higurashi without that.
Sep 25, 2020 7:10 PM

Aug 2016
It no longer carries the mystery element, so I'm hoping it makes up for it in the thriller department or else my enjoyment would probably decrease. Visually speaking, it already looks better than the old Higurashi.

The new one could cut out 1 episode if there are 2 really calming episodes in a mini arc
Sep 26, 2020 1:02 PM
Jul 2020
I really liked it. It was great.

Sep 26, 2020 1:27 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
dude, the anime hasn't even come out yet, ask this question once it actually starts airing lol
on-topic: never watched, read, or played anything from Higurashi so i have no opinions
Sep 26, 2020 2:08 PM

Mar 2016
Silvana00 said:
The original was a disaster, ugly character design, awful direction and production.
Sothe new one is going to be better because is not that hard

can't help you if you have shit taste
Sep 26, 2020 2:10 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I never watched the older adaptations and now dont feel like there's a reason to unless this modern one turns out to be awful.
Sep 26, 2020 2:42 PM

Feb 2020
i'm actually really happy.
i mean the old version had a really odd character design and the animation....yeah.
so i'm simply hyped for this.

I'm just a little sad this isn't the first time i watch the series.
the first time i watch the...scenes oh yeah i wish i could forget about all the stuff that happens.

animu007Sep 26, 2020 2:48 PM
Sep 26, 2020 2:43 PM
Jul 2017
Doesn't really matter, if its good then great, if not then it will suck but it wont really tarnish or ruin the franchise at it is, it will only be another bad remake. The art style looks too bright for how dark the series is but tbh I'm optimistic about it.
Sep 26, 2020 2:57 PM

Mar 2016
Silvana00 said:
ItachiIsGod said:

can't help you if you have shit taste

Itachi has a profile pic, droppee hxh and gave it a 1, smh

thanks for reminding me I have the best taste
Sep 27, 2020 4:05 AM

Sep 2008
as long as there's plenty of uncensored gore and it looks better than the original, I will like it. if it's watered down, it has no right to exist at all.
if you want to sell the same thing twice, you make damn sure it surpasses the original in some way.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Sep 27, 2020 4:34 AM

Dec 2018
It seems a lot of people are fine with the new look. Well I don't. Personally, I find it way too wacky even for its expected wacky nature in first half of every arc. It honestly looks incredibly low-tier, like hell even the overly large eyes in the old version are even more effectively moe. Also it has that glowy shiny skin thing that reminds me of hentai. I think it's pretty awful, and unfortunately audiovisual is an important factor in any animated medium for me.
. . .
Sep 27, 2020 4:48 AM

Oct 2012
Very excited to see how it compares to the VN.
Sep 27, 2020 6:37 AM

Sep 2014
Thread moved from Anime Discussion
Sep 30, 2020 6:33 PM
Sep 2020
WatchTillTandava said:

I simply don't see the purpose for me to watch a remake of a story which is already my #4 top anime of all time, one of my only 10/10s, and stellar in every respect (and the areas where it routinely receives criticism from some folks are either things I completely disagree with, like art and animation, or honestly don't care at all about, like it leaving material out or being a poor adaptation of the visual novel, since I'm watching the anime only for the story as presented in the anime and the story and execution in music, voice acting, visuals, every step of the way is friggin phenomenal and one of the most unique, thrilling, and moving experiences I've had with any media).

Thank you for saying this! People who read the VN first tend to shit on the anime and say the story is rushed and lacks emotion... I feel it's the opposite. I had so many feels while seeing this series because of all the things you're citing (story, music, voice acting, etc) plus the amazing characters that it actually made be read the VNs. Which, by the way, is the only anime for which I've done that.

The VNs are great and there were things that could have been adapted better, especially in arcs 3, 5, and 6. But the anime in and of itself works perfectly.

And re: the art and animation, I actually liked it. I found the designs to be cute, and Satoko and Rika were so adorable that I squeaked at times at their cuteness. And then 3 seconds later they were pulling off the most horrifying faces and I loved that.
Sep 30, 2020 7:33 PM

May 2017
Why remake a highly acclaimed show that was produced in the 21st century? I get why to remake a 90s anime due to advances in graphical techniques/4K and all, but Higurashi?
Sep 30, 2020 8:05 PM

Mar 2019
I prefer the original artstyle because it made it fit the atmosphere more, but if the remake can pull off the new art style, I won't complain.

I can see why some people might say that it doesn't need a remake, but I for one, think it will bring in new fans to the series who might try the original afterwards. Plus, I would love to see Higurashi again.
PotimasSep 30, 2020 8:09 PM

Sep 30, 2020 8:28 PM
Apr 2015
So many remake/live adaptations now a days. I only hope it will be a good remake similar to kanon or hunter x hunter and other shows that I haven't mention. Remakes cause of advances in technologies/graphical designs are fine but I hope it won't be a disappointment and gives a similar or even better reactions. But either way I can't wait haven't rewatch Higurashi in a very long time. So I'm hoping the remake won't be a disappointment. I still remember the horrifying faces and the endings so hoping for the best.
FireLordBrandonSep 30, 2020 8:32 PM
Sep 30, 2020 10:12 PM

Jul 2016
I'm honestly really excited to see one of my favorite franchises (let alone anime) get a fresh new coat of paint. Higurashi becoming mainstream again on this year's month of Halloween is such perfect timing for it to get the attention (I believe) it deserves!

Wonder how many more people will come to get freaked out by Rena and Shion only to love them again later.
Oct 1, 2020 1:59 AM
Feb 2019
I am looking forward to watching the remake today. I started watching the 2006 anime when I was 15 years old back in 2013 & always ended up having a shiver on my spine whenever the thriller & horror moments happen. I loved this series so much!
Oct 1, 2020 3:22 AM

Apr 2013
Funny enough I just finished the second season a few days ago and watched Rei and Kira. Will finish the old series with Kaku today.
The first season was quite atrocious tbh, because there was barely any context what's going on. I hope they improve on that. Second season was quite good though, they can keep it like that storywise. The OVAs I actually enjoyed even more than the actual show, I doubt they will adapt that again though.

What I want the most out of this is actually more fanservice scenes, Shion and Miyo are made for that.
Oct 1, 2020 6:01 AM

May 2009
The original was not a masterpiece at all, even the manga is better than that crapshit. They butchered Mion's story so bad, mixed up Satoko and Keiichi's scene at some point. The only good thing about 2006 was the music/OP/ED etc. Higurashi needs a remake, hope they won't fail this one today.
Oct 1, 2020 8:00 AM

Jun 2020
I've heard this is gonna run till March so two-cour right?
This anime shit is addictive
Oct 1, 2020 8:43 AM

Oct 2018
If they do plan to adapt the old season 2 into this, I do hope they keep Naraku no Hana
Oct 1, 2020 9:30 AM
Jul 2018
This is a remake? So can I just hop onto it?
Oct 1, 2020 10:44 AM

May 2009
Snow_Shovel_101 said:
This is a remake? So can I just hop onto it?

Yep, you don't have to watch anything beforehand
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2021

395 by Stinkyanimebrap »»
Mar 19, 9:57 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2021

314 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2021

323 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 14, 2021

317 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jan 7, 2021

166 by Drinzen »»
Feb 17, 3:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.