Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 23, 2020 9:28 AM

Jan 2017
Wow what an episode! Subaru getting to see potential scenarios of what would happen in the worlds he left behind after he has died was cool. We also finally got to see all the witches gathered together and Echidna showing her true colors and reminding Subaru that she is indeed a witch. I'm curious how this cour will conclude like next week.
Sep 23, 2020 9:32 AM
Feb 2020
swirlydragon said:
They removed all Emilia scenes *sigh*
Edit:- Being a re zero fan for 4 years, I'd still give this series a 10/10 because I am obligated to
Sorry for derailing the thread btw
Here some screenshots:-

you realize that you do the exact same things that you complain about Rem fans doing right? and just in case there s an argument out of this: Im more of an Otto (jokingly...maybe)and Beatrice kind of person so no im not a Rem fanboy or something.
Jul 2017
Rob7 said:
Oh, so it would not be even "Re", neither "Zero" anymore.

More like "That Time I Got Reincarnated in Another Timeline Dimension Again. And Again. And Again..."

The beggining of this episode ALMOST confirmed my theory from July. But as Echidna said, it just was made from Subaru's memories.

Come on, if a history is about "TIME TRAVEL", so it is not far from this kind of plot.

My surprise is that i didn't believe that this aspect would come to the CENTER of Re:Zero plot this way. Of course, as an artifice from Tappei only for bring more psychological torment to our best boi Subaru, in this "Evangelion" of Isekai.

Rob7 said:
*No spoilers please*

Just theorizing about what we have in hands from the plot right now in the beginning of the second season: Subaru's Return by Death, and evidences that Satella is responsible for that.

From Steins Gate to Avengers, the Timeline Split is very common nowadays. In this theory, when you interfere in the course of time, you divide it and both realities keep existing and moving on, along with infinite dimensions/timelines.

It requires less power to just split a timeline, than to completely stop, erase a reality and restart it from a point in past.

I think that is what Satella is doing to Subary, since it is easier.

Is she Godly powered right now? To accomplish every unimaginable feat? She may be, probably some Novel readers will say so, but i think it is more logical to the plot that her powers are restrained right now, since she is "dead/defeated by the Dragon" (not spoilers, everything from season 1).

But she is powerful enough to physically summon 1 person from another dimension, and to do the Return by Death. Here is the point, the RbD works just by sending Subaru's last memories to another new Subaru while spliting the timeline from a certain point.

Agreeing with that, we can say that for every Subaru's death, there is still a timeline moving without him.

1. The timeline where Emilia was killed right after Subaru by Elsa, and soon after that Pucks End's Beast started a frozing massacre in the capital of Lugunica (at least until he faces...spoiler)

2. The timeline where Elsa took Emilia's insignia by killing Felt, Subaru & others, while Emilia... was not killed at least that day?

3. The timeline where an unknown boy was found dead in an alley, without to interfere in the rest of plot (so, Felt possibly was able to sell Emilia's insignia to Elsa without having to die).

4. The timeline where during the night, Rem, the skillful maid best-waifu for many, coldblooded cleaned every piece of Subaru's flesh and blood spread in the corridor of Rosswall Mansion, and in the next morning Emilia become disapointed being informed that Subaru just leaved the house without tell nothing.

5. The timeline where Emilia was also informed the same about Subaru's "depart", and the cute Rem had even less work to displace Subaru's body, buried in a hill.

6. The timeline where Ram returned and reported to Rosswall that the main culprit for Rem's death commited suicide, and then she mourned for the death of her sister while proceeding the funeral. Emilia probably become depressed for a time after such a sudden radical tragedy, and Beatrice probably was forgiven by Ross.

7. The timeline where Petelgeuse killed Emilia and possibly was killed right after by the End's Beast, who proceed his attempt to "destroy the world".

8. The very similar timeline where Petelgeuse managed to kill Emilia and was killed by the End's Beast, who this time also killed Subaru intentionally.

9. The timeline where the same above happened, but this time Petegeuse had not took the trouble to kill Emilia. And at least the Mansion was spared from be frozed.

10. The timeline where Felix and Julius probably was honest to report to Emilia everything that the deceased Subaru did to save her (if not they, Ram could tell it). Then the shocked and guilty Emilia returned with Ram to the mansion to wait for Rosswall (Ross? hello?), while the saddened Felix and Julius found a terrible surprise in the way back to capital.

11. Finally, the timeline where Emilia in absolute shock found Subaru dead after he suicide for no reason, at the side of an complete unknown blue haired girl. The only person who loved her killed himself after asking for some "Remu", what is happening? Then Felix harshly said her to leave the capital. Emilia, depressed, confuse and more lonely than ever, unable to face any new challenge (cough!), moved back to the Mansion...

And all them will move on.

And now in this season i could add a lot more of "paralel" realities, but one worse than the other.

In the last one literally everybody in Roswaal's territory died! (Sanctuary + Mansion + Village).

Pretty sure Emilia still dies in the loops Subaru dies in arc 1. Even if she gets there in time, she’ll still run into Elsa. And I’m pretty sure that most times when something bad happens to Subaru, Emilia decides to drop out of the election cuz she’s depressed.

Regarding timeline 4, in the WN they inform Emilia of what happened. (fav reality, but was cut sadly lol). Emilia is angry cuz Rem brutalized Subaru, and asked why she did so. Rem cannot explain herself, as truthfully she was angry at Subaru for smelling and jealous of the time he spent with her sister. Emilia asked if she made a mistake, but Rem can’t lie, and it leaves Emilia really sad. She decides she cannot work with them anymore, she doesn’t trust them. Roswaal attempts to convince her that it was not that big a deal and that’s it childish to drop out of the race and ruin her own chances, just cuz of Subaru. Emilia slaps him, asks Rem for Subaru’s body to bury back home, thanks them for the opportunity and that she will find her own way to fulfill her goals, and leaves while lamenting the fact she failed Subaru and couldn’t do anything.
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Really well directed episode, although the choice to not animate lip flaps of a full minute of dialogue was a bit weird. The witches are all now gathered in one place with Subaru and you know what that means...harem time. Which witch (haha) will emerge the victor with Subaru as the prize!?

It was nice to have a slightly refreshing episode where it wasn't just exposition but was also pushing the narrative forward and next week seems like it will have a satisfying conclusion of the cour while also giving a cliffhanger of some sort for the next cour.

Echidna being greedy in the end makes sense as she is the Witch of Greed. The history behind the pact of Beatrice is revealed, and it was pretty much what I assumed it would be, although I wasn't anticipating Echidna's motives.

Rem not being Rem was pretty obvious, and thankfully Subaru realized it relatively quickly as well. His reactions toward his own death seemed a little out of character but I guess it is one of those things where unless you experience it personally, you can't really expect how one would react.

This episode was one of the best yet and I really look forward to the season finale.
Sep 23, 2020 9:33 AM

Dec 2015
Definitely my favorite episode of this season. Differently from the last episode, we could actually understand what was happening on the screen, and the whole tense situation worked.

But I have to say, I really don't like those weird "anime personas" for the witches. I already am not a fan of how the girls in this show overall all act like waifus, and the witches are extreme over the top forced personas. It reminds me a bit of The Hashira in Kimetsu no Yaiba, where those characters had extremely forced and unnatural personas and they created stupid scenes around them. It's not so bad in Re:Zero, but I still would rather they were more like Echidna, someone who just proved to be crazy, but you don't feel she's being weird at all.
Sep 23, 2020 9:34 AM
Feb 2020
i have nothing to comment on... im just really happy to see all of this animated this faithfully thank you Whitefox :D! Its all perfect!
Sep 23, 2020 9:34 AM

Jan 2019
Tsundere_Slayer said:
Okeanix said:

*Best possible way*

How many times you have to die to achieve best path. Die again even it was good path because you can't know it was really perfect until knowing all others possible futures.

But Echidna possesses immense knowledge and she even said she won't force him to use return by death, So I think she is capable of achieving the best possible way more efficiently than Subaru and by also limiting the number of time he dies.
Meaning he will die less and also be on the best path otherwise why would Subaru even consider the contract in the first place?

There is alternative story what happens if Subaru taked the contract. Wait until season 2 ends to read it.

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Sep 23, 2020 9:36 AM
Jul 2017
vangoz said:
To be honest this is the weakest episode so far it almost feels like a filler.
No new information gained, only some incomprehensible conversation and long ass monologue.
At least we see Satella again in the end.

When the anime is rushed, as it is, you end up losing the emotional resonance. This isn’t about the information gathering. It’s entirely about the results of Subaru’s self destructive attitude and his failures to protect others. How he’s willing to go through terrible stuff, and what happens as a result. I think you’ve missed the point of the episode.
Sep 23, 2020 9:37 AM
Feb 2020
Rob7 said:
Great, it is episode 12, one to go (and climax will be Satella full presented for the 1st time?)

All the seven cute/hot witches on screen.

ANNNNNND people here want to turn this topic into a RETARDED Rem/Emilia flame war AGAIN!?

Just no. Can we report it?

THANK YOU! if possible please do!
Sep 23, 2020 9:38 AM

Jul 2014
Few answers from the LN, that anime skipped (I hope you do not mind).

fullofregrets09 said:
Wait! His sword is drawn for the first time! At least Puck was a worthy opponent, according to the sword. But I can't believe it wasn't even a fight and Reinhard is that much stronger than Puck; Reinhard vaporized him. So Puck will never be able to really destroy the world. And why is one of Puck's fangs broken? When did that happen? It wasn't like that in the OVA I think.
They were fighting for a while, that's why one of the fangs was broken. And props for noticing that Reinhard was able to use his sword!

fullofregrets09 said:
Recreated from his memories? Oh right, phew. So it wasn't real, just created from some of his worries about restarting. But wait...if Subaru said in his 1st trial that his parents are bigger than his imagination, then why not here too? How in God's name would Subaru think Reinhard was going to wipe out Puck, that's inconceivable. Unless, when Satella had trapped him in her "love", and when he was receiving memories from her victims, maybe he got some memories from Satella too, and those continuations were real!
In arc 3, when Subaru killed Emilia by telling her about return by death, Puck, after killing Petelgeuse, told him his reason for destroying the world and that he knows he will later be killed by Reinhard.

fullofregrets09 said:
Why are most of the Witches not freaking out more? It's been so long, and they were devoured by her, right? Typhon even calls her Tella? The hell?
The next episode will answer that. I promise! :-)

fullofregrets09 said:
I think they forgot to translate what Sekhmet said, can anybody do that for us?
The translation was on the top (at least on CR).
Sep 23, 2020 9:39 AM

Apr 2020
Okeanix said:
Tsundere_Slayer said:

But Echidna possesses immense knowledge and she even said she won't force him to use return by death, So I think she is capable of achieving the best possible way more efficiently than Subaru and by also limiting the number of time he dies.
Meaning he will die less and also be on the best path otherwise why would Subaru even consider the contract in the first place?

There is alternative story what happens if Subaru taked the contract. Wait until season 2 ends to read it.

Okie thanks buddy.
Must love Moe!
Darkness prevails!!
Slice of Life is all we need!
Sep 23, 2020 9:41 AM
Jul 2017
Tsundere_Slayer said:
Rob7 said:
Still "best waifu"?

Tsundere_Slayer said:
Episode was great but I still don't understand what was bad in Echidna's plan?
I mean all she wanted was to satisfy her curiosity by seeing the results of Subaru's decisions while she guided him through the best possible way.
Kindly enlighten me respected anime community.🙏

For this reason I can't bring myself to think Echidna is really evil or such thing. She is the witch of greed after all. Even Elsa is more evil than her..

Not really explained well, but her plan is essentially “do every available option possible and keep killing yourself to see what could happen”

Basically it’s a video game 100% completion run. Echidna is very smart but she doesn’t know everything, so the ability to see every outcome is something she loves.
Sep 23, 2020 9:43 AM
May 2020
Tsundere_Slayer said:
Rob7 said:
Still "best waifu"?

Tsundere_Slayer said:
Episode was great but I still don't understand what was bad in Echidna's plan?
I mean all she wanted was to satisfy her curiosity by seeing the results of Subaru's decisions while she guided him through the best possible way.
Kindly enlighten me respected anime community.🙏

For this reason I can't bring myself to think Echidna is really evil or such thing. She is the witch of greed after all. Even Elsa is more evil than her..

She was probably going to try every single scenario. She wasn't lying when she said "Best possible route", but Subaru's situation is kinda like the Traveling Salesman Problem. There are probably hundreds of different routes that Subaru could go down, and even though Subaru has higher mental stability than a lot of people, we've only seen around 10-15 routes so far, and there were already routes like the rabbit one or episode 15. Imagine how many routes similar or worse than those would be there.

*Insert realization while I'm writing*

He would either go insane, which Echidna would probably prevent, or he would become just like Roswaal.
Sep 23, 2020 9:44 AM
Jul 2017
MegamiRem said:
swirlydragon said:

Well I've deleted/edited all my posts that were derailing and I apologize for my behavior but since you are asking:-

Emilia saved Subaru's life first, gave him a place to live, a job and when Rem went on a killing spree, she was the one to tell her "Subaru is a good person". Also consoled him when Subaru was emotionally unstable. After Emilia and Subaru's fight, she asked Crusch a favor (she gave some type of repayment to her which is still not revealed) to heal Subaru's gate and ordered her maid Rem to stay with Subaru.
She also defeated Petelgeuse's finger which Rem couldn't do herself (though the anime cut that fight).
Rem killed Subaru cause he had the same scent as the witches cult. The same cult that did that to her family. She was just looking out for her sister Ram. I dunno why Emilia fans forget that Rem was the one who was Subaru's mental support when he lost it and wanted to run away with Rem. She could have ran away with him and lived a happy life but what did she do? She made Subaru realise his true feelings. Got him back to his feet and what did she get for doing all these? ENDLESS HATE FROM EMILIA FANS.

Ignore the crazy Emilia fans, just like I ignore the crazy Rem fans who r (tbh, way more insane and toxic)

That’s all. Let’s not start a silly war over something so pointless. Emilia gets her time in cour 2, and cour 2 overall is so much better than cour 1 so even if you don’t give a shit about Emilia you will enjoy it. You’ll even enjoy Emilia’s arc since it’s what a lot of Rem fans want. So it’s alright.
Sep 23, 2020 9:44 AM
Jul 2018
Man just when I started to love Echidna. >:(

An all out battle for Subaru?!?! Satella appears too! Man Echidna's face when she appeared, looks like she hates her the most.

I have a question: What would have happened if Subaru had accepted the contract? I still don't fully get what was bad about that contract.

Sep 23, 2020 9:45 AM

Apr 2020
Torkip said:
Tsundere_Slayer said:

Not really explained well, but her plan is essentially “do every available option possible and keep killing yourself to see what could happen”

Basically it’s a video game 100% completion run. Echidna is very smart but she doesn’t know everything, so the ability to see every outcome is something she loves.

Ah that helps. But she said that she won't force him to use Return by death so I was confused by this contradiction.
Must love Moe!
Darkness prevails!!
Sep 23, 2020 9:46 AM
Jul 2017
thiago52192 said:
Definitely my favorite episode of this season. Differently from the last episode, we could actually understand what was happening on the screen, and the whole tense situation worked.

But I have to say, I really don't like those weird "anime personas" for the witches. I already am not a fan of how the girls in this show overall all act like waifus, and the witches are extreme over the top forced personas. It reminds me a bit of The Hashira in Kimetsu no Yaiba, where those characters had extremely forced and unnatural personas and they created stupid scenes around them. It's not so bad in Re:Zero, but I still would rather they were more like Echidna, someone who just proved to be crazy, but you don't feel she's being weird at all.

All the girls do have depth to them, they’re just not gonna be explored so much in the anime. Their backstories are cool, but since we only get Echidna’s here we don’t get much from them
Sep 23, 2020 9:48 AM

Oct 2016
Kyoshudisikai said:
could anybody who is PRO at guessing VA, know ...

WHO IS VOICING SEKHMET ? (because it seems we'll see it in episode 13 after credit) .

the tune it's not what I expected from her character.
I can hear nakahara mai (yukinoshita haruna from oregairu)
Feb 2020
is there any way for someone to make another thread and leave the idiots fighting on a flaming ring in this one? for fuck s sake i thought we were past this. THIS right here is why people keep saying Re Zero is an overrated pile of garbage because of THIS amount of toxicity these two retarded fanbases keep popping into what should be a decent fanbase clouding anything else that isnt their stupid ships! ITS TIME TO FUCKING STOP!
Jul 2017
Tsundere_Slayer said:
Torkip said:

Ah that helps. But she said that she won't force him to use Return by death so th I was confused by this contradiction.

She’s not a liar, but she’s good at convincing ppl to do things. Echidna does want to help him. But her help isn’t always the best. As you can see with what happened to Beatrice, she truly didnt mean to be malicious there.
Sep 23, 2020 9:49 AM
Jun 2016
Tsundere_Slayer said:
Okeanix said:

*Best possible way*

How many times you have to die to achieve best path. Die again even it was good path because you can't know it was really perfect until knowing all others possible futures.

One issue I can see with that is both Echidna and Satella don't seem to consider the people Subaru loves as part of his best future. That's why Rem was cast aside, and that's why Beatrice doesn't seem to matter as much. Subaru doesn't want that future, even if it will be the best route for him, with the least amount of suffering and death.
Sep 23, 2020 9:50 AM

Apr 2020
SumRndmPenguin said:

She was probably going to try every single scenario. She wasn't lying when she said "Best possible route", but Subaru's situation is kinda like the Traveling Salesman Problem. There are probably hundreds of different routes that Subaru could go down, and even though Subaru has higher mental stability than a lot of people, we've only seen around 10-15 routes so far, and there were already routes like the rabbit one or episode 15. Imagine how many routes similar or worse than those would be there.

*Insert realization while I'm writing*

He would either go insane, which Echidna would probably prevent, or he would become just like Roswaal.

Thanks buddy, that helps a lot.
Must love Moe!
Darkness prevails!!
Sep 23, 2020 9:51 AM

Aug 2019
Where do i even start/begin? at the start, so yeah, subaru came back to the trial and he started hearing some weird voice that sounded exactly like his and then he was showed all his deaths. This was really interesting, because in the last episode, one of the things most people didnt talk much about was what roswall said about Subaru restarting, he said that his current self would die and a new him would live the new cycle, he didnt say it in these exact same words, but it was basically that. It really had me thinking, like man! all those people in those alternative realities really died, like, theirselves died, but another him/her is living the new reality. And this episode really showed that all subaru's deaths had consequences too. At least that's a possibility, it might just be all made up in his mind although i dont think it is.
This brings me to my next point which is when rem appeared and saved him. Look, i cried like a little fucking bitch in this scene, it felt like that rooftop moment in season 1, but season 2. It was really fucking good, i teared my eyes out. Look, I didn't expect it to unfold like it did, lol. I felt kind of stupid when subaru said rem would never tell him to leave it all to her, i was like "true that", it was really unexpected for me and it kinda of breaked momentum.

Now all this happened in the first 11 minutes i think and i was like "Damn, i'm only 11 minutes in and there's still 15 minutes left" at this point this was already my favorite episode of the anime so you can only imagine how i felt. So we head into the next scene when subaru is taken to the tea party and echdina was being sus. I remember thinking "Wow, she's being so sus", but i what i liked about her and her attitude is how she doesn't seem to care like she almost doesn't understand why that would be sus and subaru explains it better later on. The bitch almost conviced my boy to form the contract with her, i was like "Bro, Subaru is such a fucking idiot, he's so dumb, he didn't even listen to the cons", but THANKFULLY, our girl the witch of greed appearead out of nowhere and interrupted their moment, she was cute while doing that btw, but yeah, after that its revealed that echdina lied about the witches being imprisioned inside her, or she didn't i didn't really get that to be honest, but what's interesting about echdina is that she didn't lie, like, it really impressed me how she didn't lie about anything or how she didn't tried to stop the witch of wrath from telling subaru that there are cons to this contract.

But after that, 5 of the 6 remaining witches appear and they have this moment of like, all of them trying to convince subaru to do something, and then echdina has to explain her full plan to him and we have this amazing scene of her explaining it with so much passion, the camera does a 360 and an epic soundtrack starts playing in the background. when she said "i'll let you use my body" i got horny, bc she's hot and that was a hot line. Moving on, Subaru comes to the realization that she's infact deluded and crazy and he'll not form the contract with her. He also asks about beatrice and it was echdina's answer was really interesting. I didn't fully get what happened and i'm not really sure who's the guilty one there, but Subaru gets really mad at her and makes up his mind to take Beako's hand and make her his number one. I'm not really sure what that means, but we'll have to see.

And in the end, HER! the fucking witch of envy appears and she's ready to join their tea party!

Echdina's clearly angry and some of the witches apperead scared.

The fact that the next week's episode is gonna be the last makes it all the more important. I'm really hyped for the next episode and after this one, bruh, ANYTHING, literally anything can happen, but if have to make a prediction, I'd say that we will finally understand the motives behind satela's actions, i think that Subaru will really let out his anger and tell her how he feels about all she's put him through, really let her have it. I think that Satela and echdina will collide and we'll have one more piece to this puzzle. ultimately though, I'm certain it will end in a cliff hanger and we'll have to wait 3-4 months to find out what's gona happen :P. oh well.

One last thing tho, when the witch of lust said that if Subaru saw someone else's face is because he wanted to see it, it means that when he's fucked up, at rock bottom, the one he wants to comfort him and help him get back up again is Rem, so it means that his true number 1 is Rem and he needs to realize that. I wonder if when he realizes that he actually loves Rem he'll understand what Roswall said.

This was by far my favorite episode of Re:Zero so far, although i've felt similar to this watching other episodes.
Thank you if you've made it this far for whatever reason and I'd like to end this off with Rem Is Best Girl ❤️
FrostyinsideSep 23, 2020 10:26 AM
Sep 23, 2020 9:52 AM

May 2019
Torkip said:

Pretty sure Emilia still dies in the loops Subaru dies in arc 1. Even if she gets there in time, she’ll still run into Elsa. And I’m pretty sure that most times when something bad happens to Subaru, Emilia decides to drop out of the election cuz she’s depressed.

Regarding timeline 4, in the WN they inform Emilia of what happened. (fav reality, but was cut sadly lol). Emilia is angry cuz Rem brutalized Subaru, and asked why she did so. Rem cannot explain herself, as truthfully she was angry at Subaru for smelling and jealous of the time he spent with her sister. Emilia asked if she made a mistake, but Rem can’t lie, and it leaves Emilia really sad. She decides she cannot work with them anymore, she doesn’t trust them. Roswaal attempts to convince her that it was not that big a deal and that’s it childish to drop out of the race and ruin her own chances, just cuz of Subaru. Emilia slaps him, asks Rem for Subaru’s body to bury back home, thanks them for the opportunity and that she will find her own way to fulfill her goals, and leaves while lamenting the fact she failed Subaru and couldn’t do anything.

That's a huge devenlopment for a "reality just made from Subaru's memories and knowledge" (Echidna's best abiliity as we can see, just like in Ep. 4), and that is why i think the Anime adaptation did a good job in skip it and let this "IF" short like the others Subaru faced.
Feb 2020
I knew it from the beginning that satella was best girl(her intro in the last part was so cool!)

Can someone tell all the scenes that were skipped?
Oct 2019
WHAT A GREAT EPISODE! Fuck only 1 more episode left, I don't want this show to end.

Subaru and Emilia finally had their first kiss. It is kind of unfortunate that it was under horrible circumstance- Subaru dying and Emilia being insane.

Even though the 2nd trial was rushed (at least that what WN/LN reader have said) it brings up an interesting and intriguing question-what happen after Subaru return by death and restarts? Does the timeline continue? If so, that is so f*ck Subaru has killed himself a couple of time the guilt and confusion that Emilia, Beatrice and the others must have felt. Make me understand why Subaru nearly went mad again.

Turns out it was on the witches- Carmilla, the witch of Lust who had created a realistic and well-construction unreality from Subaru’s memories.
Carmilla seems innocent- she was only following Echidna’s instructions.

I do agree with Echidna, Subaru can’t keep dwelling on all the people he might have failed but look forward and count how people have saved. How many lives he has improved?

I love how honestly and truthfully Echidna is- “An evil scheme, of course. I am a witch”.

Echidna’s contract sounds horrible, I can’t Subaru was just about to accept the contract.

What is also surprising is that even though Subaru know how powerful the witches are especially Echidna he talks to them so casually and so doesn’t hold back how his truly feel even though she could easily harm him.

Echidna’s 360 speech was amazing- she really is the witch of Greed and her in insatiable thirst of knowledge is scary and dangerous. All she has wanted from Subaru is Return by Death Authority so she could fulfil her curiosity and gain even more knowledge.

Does that mean that all the tea parties before and the bonding was just an act to eventually to get Subaru to make the contract? Echidna is very clever and might have worked if it wasn’t for the other witches interfering.

WOW! Even Echidna doesn’t know how “that person” Beatrice is waiting for. She just toying with Beatrice for her own curiosity.

Finally, we meet Satella in the flesh, not possessed Emilia Satella. She looks good. Interesting to see some of the witches reaction. Echidna looks pissed and angry.
Can’t wait for the finale. I know there is going to be an annoying cliff-hanger.
Sep 23, 2020 9:53 AM
Sep 2020
vangoz said:
To be honest this is the weakest episode so far it almost feels like a filler.
No new information gained, only some incomprehensible conversation and long ass monologue.
At least we see Satella again in the end.

1. We learn more about Echidna's true intention and what she actually want from Subaru, which is authority of envy (Echidna's theory) "Return by death" and wanted him to abuse this ability to find out more about how this ability work
2. We get to see more of the witches
3. The second trial revealed
4. We learn that "That person" Beatrice has been waiting for 400 years is not exactly, Echdina make the contract so that Beatrice and make her choose who she think "that person" is.

Apr 2020
fullofregrets09 said:
Tsundere_Slayer said:

One issue I can see with that is both Echidna and Satella don't seem to consider the people Subaru loves as part of his best future. That's why Rem was cast aside, and that's why Beatrice doesn't seem to matter as much. Subaru doesn't want that future, even if it will be the best route for him, with the least amount of suffering and death.

Yeah I agree with you. Echidna is only interested in Subaru and doesn't care about others whom Subaru wants to protect.
Must love Moe!
Darkness prevails!!

Jul 2014
cenjo-san said:
I still don't fully get what was bad about that contract.
If I remember correctly (would have to check the LN to be sure),

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
DeadlyRavenSep 23, 2020 2:56 PM
Sep 23, 2020 9:58 AM

Apr 2020
Torkip said:
Tsundere_Slayer said:

Ah that helps. But she said that she won't force him to use Return by death so th I was confused by this contradiction.

She’s not a liar, but she’s good at convincing ppl to do things. Echidna does want to help him. But her help isn’t always the best. As you can see with what happened to Beatrice, she truly didnt mean to be malicious there.
Torkip said:
Tsundere_Slayer said:

Naruhodo... I see then Echidna can be considered as a chaotic neutral...
Must love Moe!
Darkness prevails!!
Sep 23, 2020 9:58 AM

Mar 2019
satella walking like:
Sep 23, 2020 10:00 AM
Jun 2016
what more sad is the hero is reinhard
Sep 23, 2020 10:11 AM
Mar 2015
Hm, this episode... was not everything I hoped it would be, but it was still nice.

The second trial was, unfortunately very rushed, more like a slideshow than anything. I know it was already cut down in the LN from the WN version, but in the anime, it seemed to have been compressed even more. Except for the two timelines that were entirely omitted in the LN, but were sort of shown here at the end (right before the actual slideshow began), but so little was included of them that they might as well not have been there.

In the novel, not only was the trial very impactful, but also very informative. We got to see and hear lots of interesting pieces of information that we would not otherwise get from perspectives that we don't normally see. Here, all we've seen of the continuations of the timelines was stuff we would've guessed on our own, save for some small clues in the one with Reinhard -- but even that was cut down and lacking impact. In the WN, the second trial was 3 entire chapters' worth of content, and all of it felt significant. By reducing most scenes to the absolute bare minimum, occasionally showing just the beginning, all of the trial's purpose in the story was pertaining to its effect on Subaru's mental state, and even that was lessened because we haven't really been given the time to empathize. When reading, one did indeed feel like Subaru has been watching this for hours, the way the world continued after each of his deaths. That was not really possible when we rushed through it in like 5 minutes.

So yeah, I really strongly recommend reading chapter 69 to 72 of the WN for anyone because that felt a lot more... complete.

(Tangentially related remark: earlier I've been imagining it would've been a cool way to end an episode on the "Liar" scene, seeing Emilia crying over Subaru's corpse, similar to how the respective WN chapter ended. Clearly that was not possible now, and in any case it was either ending on that or the "kiss of death", so yeah, fair enough I guess.)

After the trial, the Rem scene was, like, I don't know. It needed to be there, but it felt like they were trying to make that more impactful than the trial itself, and that just felt wrong, it also fell a bit flat, and reusing the music from the earlier Echidna scene made that less unique in retrospect -- though since both were Echidna trying to comfort him, directly or indirectly, that was an understandable and respectable artistic choice. (Personal feelings -- that there is really nothing new to say about the character of Rem at this point in the story -- notwithstanding.) So yeah, that felt a bit painful in a bad way, though that's more because it came right after the rushed trial.

Now as for what is to come, I'm not going to speculate much because spoilers, I just hope the studio won't (well, didn't) try to cram too much into the last episode. There is a perfectly nice potential end-of-cour moment in sight, let them just be satisfied with that.
Sep 23, 2020 10:11 AM

May 2019
Torkip said:
Tsundere_Slayer said:

Best resume ever of Echidna's intentions.

It is like Echdona wants to:

- Be a sadistic typical "GTA" gamer, the type who torture NPC, suicide the playable char all the time, and do random pointless things just for entertainment.

- And turn Subaru into this playable character, removing the only thing Subaru still have: his free will.

WAIT

wait

W A I T

Is there not any actual Re:Zero game where we can do this?

What i would do with Subaru in Arc 1:

- Trap and kill that stupid muggers.
- Fool Felt in a more creative way.
- hmm... trap and kill Felt?
- trap and kill Mr. Savingpoint Irish Guy.
- try to kill Reinhart and die in a creative way.
- Try to seduce Emilia...?
- Ok be hidden while Emilia is killed by Elsa and then undress her body before Puck come out...

Come on, who never?
Sep 23, 2020 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
mozgow said:
cenjo-san said:
I still don't fully get what was bad about that contract.
If I remember correctly (would have to check the LN to be sure),

Oh thank you so much! So basically he will experience even worse outcomes if he had accepted it, right?

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
DeadlyRavenSep 23, 2020 2:56 PM
Sep 23, 2020 10:15 AM

Jul 2015
I knew that Echidna was hiding something but I had hoped that she would be a good person. Since she is the witch of greed, it is not odd hearing those demands from her. Also, Satella comes to the party and I think she will be very mad about Echidna for trying to make a contract with Subaru. Oh boy, can't wait to see the conflict between Echidna and Satella.
Sep 23, 2020 10:17 AM

Sep 2014
Imagine working your ass off to put out an amazing episode with 27 minutes full of content that even removed the op and ed to include as much content as possible and instead you get complaints about the removal of certain scenes that does not impact the overall storytelling. Sometimes I really do pity the Re Zero production team for having to go through this kind of stuff, just the downsides of being a popular series I guess.

Top quality works as always, can't wait for what's coming next
Sep 23, 2020 10:18 AM
Jun 2015
Welp now I know why Reinhard keeps that sword hidden. It'll basically kill him along with whatever he fights. No way he survived that explosion. Other than that, didn't care for anything else except Stella's appearance. Welp one ep to go. Hope Subaru finishes this arc so we can move on finally.
Sep 23, 2020 10:20 AM
Jun 2015
Aloister said:
Imagine working your ass off to put out an amazing episode with 27 minutes full of content that even removed the op and ed to include as much content as possible and instead you get complaints about the removal of certain scenes that does not impact the overall storytelling. Sometimes I really do pity the Re Zero production team for having to go through this kind of stuff, just the downsides of being a popular series I guess.

Yeah they can stfu. Personally it was a boring episode because mostly they just talked,info dumped, and drank tea, but these guys worked on this at their own home because of covid. Props to them
Sep 23, 2020 10:21 AM

Aug 2018
*sees Satella*
''Boy would you look at the time! Just remembered i have some rabbits to feed. GoTtA gO! ByYyYe!''

Subaru saw Beatrice, Garfiel and Ryuzu literally imprisoned by their contracts, Rosswall discarded Ram like trash right in front of him, also because of a contract and much more, And he still would make one with a witch without even asking what's his part of said contract. This guy needs some help, in many ways!

Also; Not really on board of the Echidna's best girl train anymore. Ain't no fixin' that one!

I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Sep 23, 2020 10:22 AM

Jan 2017
I was waiting to see how they will adapt this, boy it was sooooo good! Not the s*** will hit the fan!

Also, remember when anime had OP/ED? Pepperidge Farm remembers!
Sep 23, 2020 10:22 AM
Mar 2020
damm Echidna is totally acting like GREED from FMAB, in that anime I didn't know was GREED bad or good till the end, AND In this anime I too STILL CAn't figure out if is echidna good or bad, BUT I hope Echidna to be a good Homoncu.....(cough-cough........, I mean witch
Sep 23, 2020 10:26 AM

May 2018
cenjo-san said:
Man just when I started to love Echidna. >:(

As someone who like Echidna, I know how you feel. I have a mix feeling about her too.
Sep 23, 2020 10:30 AM

Oct 2017
PRAISE THE SUN!!!!!

Btw I heard that in RE:Zero IF Greed story, Subaru died more than 10 million times.
Subaru made the right choice not making contract with Echidona lolz.

Btw seems like Subaru view contract too casually (probably because his first contract has no downside with Betti..) that he didn't even ask for the consequences..
Sep 23, 2020 10:30 AM
Mar 2018
Echidna's speech was amazing.

I'm very excited for Satella next week.

Sep 23, 2020 10:32 AM
Feb 2019
That Tea Party was really something else.... like holy crap. And I also now realize this is episode 12/13 of part 1 so fml.
Sep 23, 2020 10:35 AM

Sep 2016
When I saw Rem I was nopenopenopenope. Fortunately she was fake :)

Wtf episode lol.

Red said:
I can't tell if Echidna is good or bad anymore :/

She's selfish.
bruh
Sep 23, 2020 10:36 AM

Sep 2014
shane_nichols said:
Aloister said:

Yeah they can stfu. Personally it was a boring episode because mostly they just talked,info dumped, and drank tea, but these guys worked on this at their own home because of covid. Props to them
Personally, I think it's great since we can see Echidna's other side as well as other witches getting some screentime as well. Actually I find that the most interesting part of Re Zero is the talking part lol, because almost every time someone open their mouth they brings up more questions and speculations, and seeing how these things unfold is just very much enjoyable.
Sep 23, 2020 10:37 AM

Jul 2009
Red said:
I can't tell if Echidna is good or bad anymore :/

She's selfish. That's it. It's not like she enjoys suffering but she likes to see shit. But considering the context i'd say she's bad. You can't watch people suffering just out of curiosity.
Sep 23, 2020 10:39 AM

Jan 2020
Awesome ep! although gotta say that I feel kinda bad about Subaru's suffering (as always ^^'). Also, I thought Echdina wasn't that mad, such as the other witches... well, guess I was 100% mistaked. Nevertheless, it was very exciting to see all of them gathered XD. What's gonna happen??? Only the future will tell us. Can't wait for the next episode!
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 30, 2020

505 by SanessyAdversary »»
Today, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Aug 26, 2020

604 by SanessyAdversary »»
Today, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 16, 2020

675 by titty »»
Apr 11, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 2, 2020

516 by titty »»
Apr 11, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Jul 29, 2020

672 by chiwila »»
Apr 9, 9:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.