Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Dec 5, 2020 6:53 PM

May 2014
I enjoyed the anime overall, but I didn't care for the ending and agree with the mention complete lack of stakes. The numerous death fake outs were one thing, but yeah having Dorothy still be alive was just stupid and only serves to deflate the emotional impact of that story.

The ending scheme being beyond over the top is one thing, but teaming up with the previous villains made no sense on any level and was completely unnecessary.

And personally, I would have liked if Edamura and Abbie ended up together, or at least were implied to be going in that direction (which I don't believe they were).
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Dec 6, 2020 6:58 AM

Sep 2018
The Great pretender, is just great, amazing anime, I think you can recomend this anime to anyone, and that's really good
I keep moving forward
Dec 6, 2020 8:17 PM

Sep 2019
Honestly, it kind of threw me through a loop.
The final arc did have me guessing about what Makoto was going to do. Which is strange, because all the cases have had some grand plan or something that basically waits for the audience to guess before revealing itself. You'd think "well, I'm used to this", but I wasn't.

While I think it could have ended slightly different, like Makoto pulling one over Laurent and driving into the distance as Laurent smugly says he'll get back at him eventually, but honestly, I had too much fun with this series to complain too much about it. (Although, I get why people wanted Abby and Makoto to end up... well, in something. They remind me of a lite Revy and Rock)
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Dec 7, 2020 12:33 PM

Apr 2020
DUDE THAT FRICKING ENDING
Didnt expect to actually be so invested in this.
The way they connected everything together this season, I can't even imagine how everything the next season will play out.
Dec 7, 2020 4:36 PM

Jul 2017
The rewatch is done, and my rating for this show has jumped up a lot. I find the final 2 episodes even more unsatisfying because of the absurdity of the twists to get there. Great Pretender isn't the best anime I've seen when it comes to handling twists in general but it was made up for it by a lot of aspects for most of the show, but the last couple episodes were asinine. Dorothy being alive was obvious given the amount of fake deaths I've seen from this show and she was also 'killed' too and dropped to the ocean as well. Of course.

Still, considering I gave the show a 4/10 early on, it did improve a lot. I loved the cast, the cases for the most part were a lot more entertaining and enjoyable and the direction and creativity was great. Such a shame those last two episodes were major clusterfucks. Good epilogue though for the most part, and Makoto finally gets to live his own life.

I had it at a 9/10 for the first 21 episodes, but due to the past 2 sucking, I'll drop it to an 8 (even considered a 7 but that's too harsh). Went from one of the more disappointing anime of the year to my 2nd favorite, or 3rd depending on how Golden Kamuy season 3 finishes.

I want to see more from WIT Studio since seeing them work on passion projects like these and make it really fun for the most part is much more satisfying than seeing them adapt stuff they aren't as passionate about like Attack on Titan.
Dec 7, 2020 4:44 PM
Oct 2018
Honestly, the biggest victim in all of this was Suzaku Akemi. Hearing her call out Makoto's name when she though he died made my heart crack
Dec 8, 2020 1:58 PM

Aug 2012
Was it that hard to keep her dead?
The ending was dissapointing... But aside from that the anime was great.
Dec 8, 2020 8:55 PM

Apr 2008
I still recommend the series as fun overall, but the last couple episodes lowered my opinion considerably. Dorothy actually dying gave value to the twentieth time we had a fake out. It's so cheap to throw her in like that.

On the main plot, the added twists were unwieldy and only unpredictable cause they didn't accomplish anything. You called a known enemy, arranged them to come to a remote island, and trusted them with a weapon that can make holes in the wall? To scare Laurent? Not to make the plan work better in any way? Not to even stop the plan? And this is what we get instead of important details like where in this they arranged to get the kids. Speaking of the kids, Edamura was contacted after he auctioned them, so he absolutely did that with no expectation of them being alright. That's... that's not okay at all. Why aren't we addressing that?
Dec 9, 2020 6:30 AM

Mar 2020
The last episode felt so odd, out of place, it was actually boring. And the previous episode was predictable as fuck. but overall, I enjoyed this anime.
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Dec 10, 2020 5:18 AM

Nov 2020
I really loved the series, but the last episode was kind of weird.. i mean the group did all of the hard work for Dorothy and all this time she was alive? And was Laurent aware of this? Did Dorothy gain back her memory? So many questioned left unanswered...
---- Life is nothing but goodbyes ----

Dec 10, 2020 5:48 AM

Apr 2020
Damn, what a crazy plan! especially the plan that made the building on the island
Dec 14, 2020 4:38 AM
Sep 2014
J0HN_L0CKE said:

And personally, I would have liked if Edamura and Abbie ended up together, or at least were implied to be going in that direction (which I don't believe they were).

I think it was implied, but only to the extent of "Believe what you want to believe" so people can't say it was forced.
For Abby, who was a real lone wolf af the start of the show to send Edamura a selfie is a sign of real character growth and shows that she's fond of him at least in some way. (Can't imagine her sending a selfie like that to Laurent) And the fact that Edamura isn't surprised by it and just comments on her hair and not on the rude gesture, shows that messages like that aren't really uncommon.

Honestly, I can't imagine them in a relationship (yet)... But at the same time, I cannot imagine them apart. So for now, staing in contact because they cannot stop caring about each other, but being too proud/shy to actually show it, suits them the best.
Dec 14, 2020 5:35 AM

May 2014
jonyoo8 said:
J0HN_L0CKE said:

I think it was implied, but only to the extent of "Believe what you want to believe" so people can't say it was forced.
For Abby, who was a real lone wolf af the start of the show to send Edamura a selfie is a sign of real character growth and shows that she's fond of him at least in some way. (Can't imagine her sending a selfie like that to Laurent) And the fact that Edamura isn't surprised by it and just comments on her hair and not on the rude gesture, shows that messages like that aren't really uncommon.

Honestly, I can't imagine them in a relationship (yet)... But at the same time, I cannot imagine them apart. So for now, staing in contact because they cannot stop caring about each other, but being too proud/shy to actually show it, suits them the best.

I agree, that it definitely showed growth, but it felt like they only threw you a pittance haha
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Dec 22, 2020 6:49 PM
Apr 2014
Kaluta said:
This anime felt like a breath of fresh air. I immediately fell in love with it. I was even considering turning a blind eye to some hard to believe moments and giving it a 10/10, it was that enjoyable. But then Case 4 came. Oh boy

A lot of things have already been said like these 3 antagonists suddenly being buddies with people who ruined them or the whole plan being just ridiculously big and complicated.
But the biggest issue I have is how Makoto's psychological development was thrown out of the window in the last episode. This guy was seriously traumatized after everything that happened. He was involved in child trafficking for over 2 months, witnessed 2 of his "partners" dying because of his decision to save the kids and involve his father, and he thought he killed his father. Sure, he hated him at that moment but killing a person is a huge deal and it was his dad for god's sake. He was so crushed he stopped eating for 3 days and only started because the yakuza lady helped him. This poor guy could have killed himself from all the trauma (I wonder what Laurent would do in that case).
Learning that he had to experience all of that because of Laurent must have felt terrible and Makoto betraying all of them would be a much better ending. It was just so fitting and interesting.

To be honest, I have a hard time understanding why they couldn't tell Makoto about the whole plan. Something about him messing up if he knew but did he ever really do that? Sometimes he changed some elements like with the painting but I wouldn't count that as messing up. He made a deliberate decision to help the painter's conscience and there was really no consequence. The second time was letting the paralyzed pilot fly instead of Abby but Laurent was ready for that and nothing severe happened. Honestly, such situations could be avoided with proper communication between Laurent and Makoto.
I actually remember at least 3 times where Makoto messed up because nobody told him about the plan. 1st time was when Laurent gave him "the drug" without any explanation, he freaked out and was in serious danger for attacking Eddie's guys. Then the whole operation could have failed because he thought Laurent and Abby were shot and freaked out again. And there was a case with the painting when Laurent didn't tell him how much it was really worth.
Makoto proved himself to be a very good actor on countless occasions so I really can't understand why he couldn't be included. When I think about it, there wasn't a single case that he wasn't tricked to participate in. If I were him I would feel that they don't trust me. So not telling him again and causing all that trauma was actually riskier because he got a strong reason to betray Laurent.
Makoto also wanted to somehow trick Laurent from the start so it would fit nicely with betraying him for real. Instead, he added a small detail to the plan that changed literally nothing, and Laurent was tricked for like 2 seconds. It feels really underwhelming.

After all that, I don't even have any energy left to be mad about Dorothy being alive.

8/10 could have been a masterpiece

i agree with everything here. it's been a while since i found something like the great pretender that was incredibly entertaining and i really wished that i could've gave this show a 10. but yeah case 4 had wayyy to many flaws that i couldn't overlook.

i feel like laurent not telling makoto about his plan started off as a joke to toy with him before he joined their group, but still not telling him after all those cases doesn't feel right. i think they did that because we see most things in makoto's perspective and the writers of the show didn't want the audience to know what really was going on to surprise us in the end. if that was the case, they could've just not showed us the scenes of them telling makoto the plan until the end, and then that would've kept the audience unknown to what was happening and makoto just acting until they revealed everything.
even so, if they continued not telling him the plan, the series ending would've stood out much more and made more sense if makoto ended up betraying everyone and getting his own way but i guess they had to make it happier, even going as far as keeping dorothy alive. if dorothy stayed dead it could've showed that being a con artist isn't all fun and that taking risks and making mistakes will have consequences. i guess they're taking their shot at another season but seriously what was the point of doing that entire scheme to avenge dorothy if shes just alive somewhere being happy? definitely a good show tho despite the problems i had with the ending. at least it kept me entertained.
Dec 29, 2020 4:20 AM
Mar 2018
Regret putting this off for too long, the amount of twists got me sitting up from my chair.

Despite the long break, it was such a fun journey from the beginning to the end. And with a possible movie or sequel, can't wait for what happens next.

Dec 29, 2020 1:46 PM

Jul 2012
That was a great series. I liked all the characters, but enjoyed Cynthia and Abby's arcs the most.
Dec 29, 2020 3:09 PM

Mar 2020
I'm actually surprised that Makoto decided to play along with Laurent's plan, and by incorporating his own without Laurent's knowledge to boot. I fully expected him to stay with Madam Director, but I guess that passing comment Oz made in episode 21 was foreshadowing. Makoto played Laurent's plan against him: ignorance produces genuine reactions. It was a nice touch bringing back all the old scam victims as allies, but I don't think I'd be so buddy-buddy with someone that swindled me out of millions.

This arc is the only one that gave me the same rush and enjoyment as the first one. I don't know if it's because they wanted the set-up and finale to be big or because all the jobs in between were only supposed to set-up for the finale. I love it when everything comes together!
Jan 11, 2021 11:00 PM

Jul 2016
Damn, this series sure went downhill after the first case with naive drug lord Cassano. Third case with Cynthia and Thomas redeemed the series a bit but this long-ass last case ended up burying any sign of potential good writing it could have had. The whole deal with the sedatives was as ridiculous as I was anticipating and the addition of the previous three antagonists to the mix had no purpose to be. The mere excuse of them "making some profit out of the situation" is way too unrealistic and the idea of portraying those scumbags as sympathetic dudes now only because Liu and Suzaku's evil deeds were worse than theirs honestly makes me sick. Whoa man, can't wait to see likeable old man Cassano go back to America and start another drug empire while also making some aspiring actresses go into forced prostitution. Yay~
Also, what's the point of "scamming only bad people" if said bad people end up receiving part of the money from this last bounty anyways?

And man, I couldn't have been more disappointed with that unnecessary after-credits scene with Dorothy. Seriously, having her being magically alive is pure bullshit and technically ruined the whole purpose of Laurent's revenge in this forth case. Especially since the guy never gave a shit about the children that were being sold into potential sexual slavery to begin with.

All that said, this ended up being an "average-to-bad" series overall. Suspension of disbelief went on a trip that lasted 23 episodes; all the "plot twists" presented were hella predictable; cast wasn't really likeable and the decision of Makoto always ALWAYS being at the receiving end of all the bullshit Laurent and co. made him go through really tested my patience at some points. Not to mention that the way in how he forgave them so easily left a lot to be desired as well.

Huh? Good aspects? Only the art-style and the vibrant color pallete. OST selection had its moments too.

3/10 - Seriously, "one of 2020's best anime" my ass.
SouthRzVaJan 13, 2021 4:00 PM
Jan 12, 2021 9:03 PM
Oct 2019
Post credits: wtf Dorothy is alive?!

I'm generally fine with the Chinese and Japanese mafia bosses being stranded on the island. But I think it's pretty lame that all their previous marks were in on the final score. Lame

I really enjoyed learning about Laurent's past during this final arc. I really enjoyed this final arc in general. It was fun and kept me guessing more than the previous couple arcs. It was like the first arc where everything was a mystery (in a sense) that we had to try to figure out before the show spelled it out for us at the end.

The first arc was great. The next two were mediocre. The final one was great, also. The finale was mediocre, but I feel that way about most shows (I personally think it's almost impossible to have a "great" ending, so I'm not deducting any points from TGP for an average/good final episode).

I'm interested in watching a 2nd season if Dorothy is alive. And I want to see more Abbie, so hot.

First arc = 8/10 overall
The next 2 arcs were blah = 5/10 overall
Final arc = 8/10 or 9/10, but averaged out to a ~7/10 overall
HagePotPotatoJan 13, 2021 8:33 AM
Jan 13, 2021 11:55 AM
Jun 2017
Swagarot said:
idk how i feel about Dorothy still being alive after all of that revenge and stuff, but apart from that i think the ending overall delivered 9/10 for me.
I 100% agree with this. The show was amazing throughout with stellar plot twists and a nice jazzy soundtrack so definitely a 9/10. The after credits scene was a complete ass pull tho and almost made me lower my score by 1 because of how unnecessary it was.
Jan 16, 2021 1:29 AM

Mar 2015
Great series overall, in the end it was such an extravagant ploy! I was surprised after everything implied that Edamame was able to let go of what he built up with the chairman!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 16, 2021 5:24 PM

Dec 2015
So glad I decided to watch this. I feel like it ended on a great note. Definitely an odd choice to bring the three previous antagonists back as they didn't really serve much of a purpose. Showing Dorothy at the end could possibly mean a second season which I would love as I would like to see the relationship between Edamame and Abbie to be developed more.
Overall it was a great anime, really loved the style and colors of it.
Jan 23, 2021 10:43 AM

Nov 2016
Lmao what a spectacular final episode, was so funny to see what was going on behind the scenes, the crazy energy and over-the-topness of this series are something else. Also nice that they brought back everyone who was tricked before.

And the fact that Dorothy was alive all the time, I mean what else would you expect from a series that was all about staging and tricking(even the audience)

Very enjoyable and with such a satisfying finale I'm Torn between a 7 and an 8 now.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 25, 2021 5:27 PM
Jun 2020
What a ride... Dayum...

Well, i cant say none other than what a ride this anime is & PLEASE FOR GOD SAKE LET Edamura & Abi ship sail!!! I NEED ITTTT
Jan 27, 2021 6:31 AM
Jan 2021
Just finished it today and i like it very much ! altough yes i agree it could've gone with more interesting plot.

So after all THE GREAT PRETENDER was for dorothy because she's not dead XD
Jan 27, 2021 11:21 PM

Aug 2015
There was...so much going on. Too many returning characters. Resurrections that really shouldn't have happened. I had to look up who the president was because I couldn't remember him at all.
This show was silly, but damn was it fun.
Jan 30, 2021 3:09 AM

Aug 2018
Very interesting ending but I think that Dorothy being alive removes a lot of meaning to Laurentls backstory. Its debatable if we are actually gonna get a season 2 of this but its absolutely possible.

I think this anime is great, beautiful artstyle and nice selection of music, but he plot is eh..... kinda good and the characters, some were very interesting while some felt underdeveloped till the end. I really can't go higher than 8 for this show,
Feb 2, 2021 10:02 PM
Jul 2020
well pretty good anime. i give it 9/10. the storyline is crazy istg.
Feb 18, 2021 10:22 AM
Feb 2019
Just finished it a moment ago & since I ain't satisfied completely,Imma go & start readin' the manga right now, that is if it is available🙂
Feb 20, 2021 1:05 PM

Aug 2017
Ahhh, Makoto and Laurent put the mafia to sleep -I rewatched the scene in episode 22 and now it makes sense, in fact even the dialogue hints that something was wrong there-, the children were rescued and I'm surprised these three antagonists were working with Emadame at the end.

Now, Dorothy is alive but with memory loss, a potential S2 or a movie? I think a movie could work better.

I don't have big issues with this anime, only thing I didn't like was Abby's past resolution and maybe Edamura being trolled by Laurent after the first time. One of the best anime from 2020.8/10 for the anime. = 7.5 (first case), 6.5 (second case), 9 (third case), 9 (fourth case).
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 21, 2021 1:33 AM

Sep 2018
Man, that was really a great ride. I couldn't stop watching at one point, signs of a truly riveting anime. Wasn't a big fan of the three scammed guys coming back together and somehow being fine with how everything turned out, other than that though....

Brilliant cast, amazing soundtrack and animation. 9/10.
Mar 1, 2021 9:33 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Im not.... completely sold on how it ended. Could've been worst but it definitely could've been better too. 7/10.

It was a 8/10 for the majority of the anime but that ending gave me so much mixed feelings that it kinda ruined it a bit.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 8, 2021 2:14 PM

Jun 2015
Well the ending ruined the show for me. So bad.rip logic.
Mar 13, 2021 2:23 PM

Aug 2013
On one hand it's nothing new when illogical anime has a such absurd and pathetic ending. It's simply a fairy tale wrapped in skin of Ocean's Eleven or something like that. It's just Netflix: The Anime.

But on other hand this anime clearly reminds me Cowboy Bebop and Black Lagoon (never seen Lupin so don't know) at many moments and even though I am not a fan of both they still obviously were much better just because they could afford themselves a seriousness and brutality coherent to tragical events. What is the point of anime about scumbags and their dark doings (human traffic, deaths from stress and illness, poverty, military invasions, social pressure) if everything is so light-herted in the end? Lives are ruined and people just smile, it's a truly most American anime ever and this is why it's so naïve, retarded, has awful music, characters are so primitive and so called big plans were based on a pure luck when random events didn't even exist most of times and also people which knew nothing about plan still somehow played along.

The thing is this anime is called a Great Pretender because it pretends to be a best anime of 2020 even though most of people don't even know about it, it's a typical bubblegum tier product at best, but hey, Netflix just needs some big fake success. This anime pretends to be good, smart and entertaining. This American by spirit cartoon pretends to be an anime.

There is only one good thing about this "anime", it's an excellent representation of state of mind and moral of Japanese people which how we can easily see here are pretty light-hearted in terms of social trust, that's why local schemes are laughable and reduced to typical "persistent vacuum-cleaner seller" or "never leave your signature on a document you didn't read!". Okami bless Japan.
Mar 25, 2021 1:06 AM
Nov 2019
Overall It was a great show but I don't like how the villains were added to the ending I didn't really get that part. I also don't really understand why Dorothy is alive, maybe a short movie would resolve that issue. One thing is certain though, it definitely doesn't need a second season that would just be a waste.
Mar 28, 2021 9:14 AM

Mar 2010
Im a bit unsatisfied, wished edamane at least impregnated the tanned girl.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 7, 2021 9:22 AM
Jul 2014
It was a nice show but the ending had way too many asspulls for my taste.
Apr 16, 2021 5:07 PM
Jun 2019
The ending does not make any sense at all, he betrayes lady suzaku who treated him like his own son to ally with his father that lied to him his entire life and laurent who only used him for his revenge, and also at the end what are cassano, sam ans coleman there? Like you scammed cassano of 100m dollars and you put him in jail but he still trusts you to come to japan with a full army and sam lost all his money in that bet and almost killed abi and edamura but he is fine now ig
Apr 19, 2021 1:30 PM

Mar 2017
Everything about this anime was absolutely perfect, from the soundtrack to the art, the incredible plot to the fantastic characters. I really liked how the first few arcs were just fun swindler stories but with the last one, it was revealed that everything was connected by this emotional motivation involving characters you wouldn't have expected. It was pretty funny that even the guys who got swindled got a happy, satisfying ending haha

I'm wondering if the after credit scene means there will be a season 2. To be honest, I think another season isn't needed and would actually kinda ruin what this season created.
Apr 26, 2021 10:12 AM

Jan 2017
it made no sense how the heroes suddenly teamed up with the previous villians, but this happens all the time in anime/manga, so i just accepted it.

that ending was pretty strange, but i actually liked it. i think this is a rather lighthearted anime, that isn't really supposed to be taken seriously (almost like a saturday morning cartoon). i guess that's why literally nobody dies, except for edamuras mom.
Apr 28, 2021 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
I finally completed the anime... this is a masterpiece!

I'm so glad that they showed us how the swindlers set up all of those stuff like the building and the rooms and stuff. They drugged the Suzaku and Lunghabu(?) members, really smart! I wonder how long they were asleep for.
That blood slash felt so realistic though! I don't know why I feel bad for that old woman who like Edamura. :c

About that ending, was that Dorothy? It was definitely her! Her skin color, her hair color, everything! So she was still alive, huh? I hope Laurant and Dorothy will meet in the future!

I find it funny how Abigail Jones gives Edamame the middle finger sign all the time, like LMAO!

But it's kind of sad to me, why did Edamame and Abigail never became couples, I ship both of them. XD

About someone becoming President, are they going to swindle again? Looks like a hint for a new season then! I hope that there will be!
So Edamame's mom knew what Edamame's dad's real work, but his dad told his mom to keep it quiet from him. Oooh! Interesting..!
Apr 29, 2021 9:58 PM

Jan 2020
8/10 , this anime is now my new AOTY of last year. This made me appreciate 2020 anime year a bit.

I don't get the hate for Far East arc , it's definitely the best one, everything is so mind-blowing
TierraRobadaApr 29, 2021 10:02 PM
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
May 10, 2021 8:08 PM
Mar 2019
Really enjoyable show! The twist and turns always got me where I was saying oh that was a good one or I should have known. it was fun.

My negatives where that the show played it too safe. there was no consequences. There wasn't that much adult situations and I mean Anime titties. I didn't like that Eddie from the first case showed up to help them I was sure Edamura was gonna side with Eddie and betrayed them all but Eddie help them.
I was like what the hell. Coleman and Sam now being their allies doesn't make any sense. They con them and Cynthia hated Coleman
ojmendezMay 10, 2021 8:25 PM
May 14, 2021 3:03 PM
Mar 2020
Mmm this anime wasn't that good, i never felt attached to the characters, the plot was petty the idea to every time deceive edamame to play the role was a cliche ,trying to make fun of Chinese and arabs was very mean and smell racism ,for someone to stay alive after being shot and tied in a steel rope and drowned in the middle of the sea was ridiculous.. 5/10
May 15, 2021 12:12 PM
Feb 2021
This shows ending really sucked ish.. Borderline unbelievable
May 19, 2021 1:28 PM

Sep 2015
What the hell was that ending? It ruined the whole show to me.

Why on earth would they build a replica of the Suzaku building when they had them the moment they were drugged? What was the point of the villains returning, and why would they ever be content with working with the group that scammed them? And why did Dorothy return at the end? Does nothing ever have consequences in this series? Laurent wasn't even tempted to actually kill who he believed to be the murderer of his lover?

They had so much potential to end this on a more serious note. The supposed death of Dorothy was a breath of fresh air in the light-hearted mood of the show up to this arc. Show us that things have consequences, and that the rampant strive for more and more can lead to terrible outcomes! How are we ever supposed to feel invested in a show when we know right from the get go that any character death will likely be turned around in some contrived explanation? And how is there ever any intrigue in revealing the plans when they have unlimited resources to pull off just about anything?

I'm so disappointed.
May 23, 2021 6:22 AM
Dec 2014
the ending was totally ridiculous. i rather have Edamame kill them all.

and how could people who have been scammed of their life's saving make up with their scammers? ridiculous
Jun 26, 2021 8:48 AM

Sep 2017
Awesome ending to a really fun show. Keep me on my toes for sure. The last scam really went all out, but it's just the right level of believable crazy. This episode in particular really brought it all together for how they were able to pull it off. Dorothy being alive is an interesting twist. Not sure how I feel about it. Does she actually remember at this point? Idk but it doesn't really matter unless there is a sequel.
Jul 3, 2021 11:04 PM

Apr 2016
Absolutely a masterpiece show. Wonderful, colorful animation, and the twists got me really good.

The trio who got scammed, and sided with them in the end i think i could understand their situations and became like that since they do "time-skips" each cases, you could also see the hint when Clark Ibrahim started working for them. This also proves "The power of Money"

Also there was a short 10s scene. What happened to the Shanghai & Suzaku Mafias? Akemi is probably gonna be with her son, and I think that's a good sign since she wanted a peaceful and quiet life. I do feel bad for her and Edamame.

Hoping for a second season, I feel like Laurent and the rest are going much bigger.
10/10
Why do we have to live in such a cruel world?

Jul 7, 2021 8:02 PM

Apr 2018
Oh god, what a beautiful and happy ending. THEY EXPLAINED EVERYTHING VERY WELL!
- First of all, they drugged both companies, took them on planes to a deserted island, made a hugeass building with some tricks.
- Laurent made up with Sam, 007 and Eddie
It was hilarious to know how they made everything and planned everything, fucking epic!

A really happy second half
- Oz finally made up with Makoto, all the kids got a foster parent because of him.
- Kudou lost his daughter, Kim told him to forget about her LOL
- Cynthia adopted a kid
- Makoto opened a coffee shop
- Abbie became a rock climber (probably)
- Who's the president? XD edit: the FBI guy: Anderson
And as last, Dorothy is alive (somehow), lost her memories but she's alright. And she got her ring back lol.

Conclusion: A fun and enjoyable ride, a lot of eccentric, funny and emotional moments, waifu materials, beautiful and epic OST, amazing OP and ED, likeable characters, superb story and BEAUTIFUL VISUALS AND ANIMATION!

9-9.5/10

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Question for a scene in episode 6

Saphhh - Jun 8, 2022

4 by Archfiend836 »»
May 3, 11:19 AM

» Cases Ranked

removed-user - Sep 4, 2021

17 by Archfiend836 »»
May 3, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 15 Discussion

uninstallthegame - Sep 20, 2020

47 by Dark_zarich »»
Mar 17, 4:32 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tsarko - Jun 19, 2020

52 by Dark_zarich »»
Mar 11, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 12 Discussion

Tsarko - Jun 18, 2020

42 by Dark_zarich »»
Mar 11, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.