Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 15, 2020 10:41 AM
Nov 2016
Hello anime-fans,

I know that my post is not related to anime but since i like watching anime a lot, i thought it was maybe the best decision to ask the people who like the same things i do!

so I got 2 questions for you guys. 1. as mentioned in the title, i would like your objective opinion on my life situation and wether i am to blame.

I am 28 years old, i don't have a job and i basicly play online video-games and watch anime all day.

I have 0 friends (not even in games, i mostly play solo).

My problem is that i am really really depressed, i cry about 5-6 times a day and i cant bring myself to try to change my situation, since i get really hardcore depressed about 2-3 days every 2 weeks, where i can't even leave the bed, so i can't do anything over an extended period of time.

The reason for my bad state of mind is that my father was really violent when i was a kid and i got bullied a lot in school and my mother died when i was pretty young.

So my question is wether you think that under the circumstances i grew up in, do you think it is normal to turned out this way or is it my fault? From my perspective i think i got pushed down this road but since i can't judge my own situation objectively, I wanted to ask you guys for your opinion!

2. I would like your opinion on why most people tend to hate you when you have depressions, and totally exclude you from 99.99% of all social activities? I mean there is this girl i really really like and she hardly even acknowledges my existence, the only situation where she texts me back is when she doesn't understand her math classes at university and seeks help (i'm pretty good at that kind of stuff). I even once told her that i am really sad right now and basicly all she said was "oh that is really bad for you" but everytime she needs help i take the whole evening to go through her stuff and then try to make it understandable for her...

I just feel like life is so unfair, especially when you had a bad start, people will put you down even more, instead of helping you get up, I don't understand why that is...??

Anyways please tell me your objective opinion on my 2 questions, I hope you guys are having a better time than me, i am in a pretty dark place right now and i kinda don't see the light at the end of the tunnel =(
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 15, 2020 11:00 AM

May 2013
It's tough because it sounds like you've had it rough. I cant say its solely your fault but it is up to you to make the positive changes in your life.

People have a hard time dealing with someone with depression cause we tend to be downers. Maybe seek some friends who can become your support during the rough days.

My advice is take up cooking and cook healthy meals. It gives a feeling of accomplishment while good food fuels a positive outlook.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Sep 15, 2020 11:14 AM
Jul 2018
How can you afford to just play games and watch Anime all day everyday? Sounds like every man's dream.

And what makes you think that having a girl in your life will automatically turn things into a better direction, mhh?

I also never had any close friends throughout my whole life.

removed-userSep 15, 2020 11:17 AM
Sep 15, 2020 11:20 AM

Mar 2018
Holo-_- said:
The reason for my bad state of mind is that my father was really violent when i was a kid and i got bullied a lot in school and my mother died when i was pretty young.
@Kosmonaut Is this your alt or simply someone mocking you?

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 15, 2020 11:21 AM
Nov 2016
Thanks, you are making an excellent point, i myself think it is very unfair of me to depend entirely on her to fix my mental state! But then again i always feel like i am absolutly alone with all my problems would it be asked too much to have one person that is on my side? maybe it is...
And to your other point, in the country i life in there is basic social ensurence for unemployed humans.
If you think that sitting inside all day with your thoughts only is every mans dream, let me tell you if its a dream, its a nightmare.
Holo-_-Sep 15, 2020 11:28 AM
Sep 15, 2020 11:32 AM

Apr 2013
I think it's better for everyone to accept shared responsibility in the current situation.
While your father caused the situation, you're the only one who can save yourself from the current situation.
There are professionals who can help you with getting out of your situation, but only you can move forward and away from the situation you're currently in. They can help you walk, make it easier for you to achieve your goal, but they can't walk for you, ever.

First of all, start going out one hour a day in the morning. Even if it's annoying, even if it's just walking. Keep up with it, don't skip it. If rain is a problem, no matter, just take an umbrella and still walk (well, if there's a typhoon or similar it's okay to skip though >_<").
Don't accept your own excuse about not doing it. Also saying just in case since you're playing video game : don't skip mornings. Sleep early, wake up early, and go to walk. When you already feel bad, you will only feel worse by inverting your life cycles and by staying inside.

You should feel a bit better from that simple thing. They say "a healthy soul in a healthy body" and I came (though late) to realize how true that was myself.

Set yourself a goal an try to get allies/help to achieve it. If you don't just seek help for the sake of help but help for the sake of getting out of your situation and reaching a wanted goal, you should find way more peoples motivated to help you walk there.

As for the girl, unfortunately this society is stressful for most peoples. She has her own problems, her own sources of stress, and peoples simply cannot on top of this take the stress of others like that, especially if it's bad enough to be depressive. That's too much to ask to carry for anyone else.
If you like that girl, start to go out and walk, start to really think about what you want to do, start to walk forward and ask professionals help to accompany you to walk forward.

You know, we're on an anime/manga forum, and there's that little sentence from the Negima manga that I think is really true. IIRC it goes like this "A little bit of courage is the real magic".
it's not easy. Especially considering you'll have to get the courage again and again at first. But every times it'll go ok, you'll feel better about it. You may fail from time to time, but that's okay; it doesn't feel good, but the only peoples who never fails are those who never try. Failure is part of the trip. What matters is you getting once and for all out of a situation you hate to reach a situation you're okay with.
That situation DOES NOT depends on the girl you're interested in. But who knows, you may get her, or someone else, if you start moving forward.

Sep 15, 2020 11:45 AM

Jan 2017
it is not your fault. children are truly helpless at a young age.

bruh stop simping. you are not some puppy dog that receives gratification from approval.

try something different from what you are doing now. it can be anything really, from something really small to something really big. i am beginning to realize how the snowball effect really happens in life. one minor change can change the entire thing.

observe your thought patterns and see if you need to adjust if necessary. journaling helps me with this or being alone in general (out for a walk, out for a drive, something/somewhere that gets me reflective).

take some risks and reach out to people if possible.

gl
Sep 15, 2020 11:58 AM

Oct 2015
Luchse said:
Holo-_- said:

Jesus fucking christ Daniel I'm so going to whip you.

OT: Your mental states aren't your fault, but it can be within your power to try to amend its consequences. Since you're in college, you can join clubs, the ones relating to your major will probably be the best since you'll have things to talk about outside club activities as well. But you could go for a hobby like debating or Japanese or what have you. It's not impossible.
Sep 15, 2020 12:06 PM
Nov 2016
@zefyris thanks for your advice, your making a very good point that society is stressful on everyone and she probably has a lot of stuff to deal with herself, sometimes i tend to forget that!
And to your other point, i don't think professional Help would be very useful, they only give you medication and i am 100% sure that i don't need that, my problems can be solved without medication the biggest problem is its exponentially harder to do it when your on your own =(
@p0ckyy i agree, taking risks and try things would be the best way to go but then again just going out there and trying to get things sorted out is easier said than done...
Sep 15, 2020 12:21 PM

Apr 2013
Holo-_- said:
@zefyris thanks for your advice, your making a very good point that society is stressful on everyone and she probably has a lot of stuff to deal with herself, sometimes i tend to forget that!
And to your other point, i don't think professional Help would be very useful, they only give you medication and i am 100% sure that i don't need that, my problems can be solved without medication the biggest problem is its exponentially harder to do it when your on your own =(
@p0ckyy i agree, taking risks and try things would be the best way to go but then again just going out there and trying to get things sorted out is easier said than done...

I was more talking about professional help to get a job and so on than the medical side (as to me part of the problem is the fact that you're stuck so if you get out of that situation you should already feel way better without specific medication)
Sep 15, 2020 12:26 PM

Feb 2008
There is no objective opinion when it comes to how people react to abuse just gonna be forward with you on that one. Both Me and my boyfriend had horribly abusive fathers and we both reacted to it very VERY differently. everyone reacts to it differently so there is no normal. Although I would suggest if you're crying 5-6 times a day to call your doctor about a therapist.
since it seems like you're worried they're just gonna drug you up, Just be sure specifically to ask for talk therapy.

As for the girl you talk to, it seems like she has her own sources of stress, and she can't take on your stress on top of that. you could try to become closer friends with her, but from what you've told us it seems her mind is focused on school.

I know people don't HATE me when I have depressive fits but it feels like it. It feels like everyone hates me and they feel like I'm crazy and they want me gone.
And especially because in my case at least my entire personality changes from bubbly to very violent. I wouldn't blame anyone for hating me.
Sep 15, 2020 12:56 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Apologies because you're not gonna want to hear this but your current place in life is absolutely your fault. There are plenty of people who've grown up in far worse circumstances but have become wildly successful. We all have crap to overcome, and yes some of us have a lot more crap to overcome than others (I'm sorry to hear about what you had to go through), but sitting around and sulking about it isn't going to change your circumstances. It's entirely up to you to turn your life into what you want it to be.

It's not too late, even at your age you can still go to College and get a STEM degree, Law degree, or Doctoral degree that can allow you to actually make something of yourself. Starting a business is also an option, but the main thing is that we as people need some sort of a career to bring our lives meaning. In addition, it's not to late for you to improve your personality, to become a more extroverted and positive person. There are plenty of resources out there to help you do it. For the most part it really isn't genetic, it's a state of mind (except SOMETIMES the Depression in which case if needed you should get the proper medication to fix any chemical imbalances your body may have). You can still turn your life around, but you gotta stop playing the blame the game and start taking some actual action / personal responsibility.
Sep 15, 2020 1:03 PM

Jan 2015
Where I don't feel it was your fault of what happened in your family life, it is still only you who can decide to make a change for yourself and better your life. In your situation it may sound very intimidating to try and do other things in your life besides play games, you are able to make the change you want and I personally believe you can do it. As for why people treat people with depression in awful ways? I'm not sure I know anyone who treats people with depression unfairly on purpose, mostly it's just a case of them not understanding. The situation with the girl (sounds like you do have at least one friend in my opinion), do you tell her it's specifically a bad time for you to help her with her work? Because if you don't tell her directly there's no way she can know what you're thinking. Anyways, I hope you're able to make things better for yourself. Slow progress is still progress, and I hope you're able to make good friends and find what you want to do in life.
その目だれの目?
Sep 15, 2020 1:07 PM
Aug 2018
It’s certainly not your fault for being the way you are, your circumstances in life are to blame for it. People often don’t like to be around people who are depressed since it can be draining for some people. If I were you I wouldn’t try to open up to that girl anymore since it seems like she’s just wants you for help and nothing else.

I’d suggest you reach out to a therapist and maybe they could help with the situation you’re in. It’s their job to help people through these things.

Sep 15, 2020 1:10 PM

Jun 2020
1. You were dealt a bad hand, I'll admit. But ultimately it's up to you to move forward in spite of your downfalls. The things you experienced must've been terrible, and I get that. But at this point in time, if you truly do want your life to progress, you're going to have to put in work. Start with small things like organizing your room. Start eating right. Try exercising. Will it be hard? Absolutely. But you know what? It has to be done. Putting in the work might make you feel terrible at first, but little by little it'll get better. Set goals for your future, try to get educated so that you can find employment. Set these goals and work towards them, knowing that it won't be easy and that it'll take time.

2. Focus on yourself first. Build up from the bottom if you have to. Work out, read books, go outside and appreciate the world more. Friendship and romance are fun, but in order to experience these things you must first fix yourself. Trust me, when you eventually make it out of rock bottom (which you will, as long as you put in the work you will get somewhere), making friends and being sociable is much easier. My philosophy is as follows; stoicism is key. Grind hard, lead a healthier, more productive lifestyle, and see where you are in a year. Things will change for the better.
Sep 15, 2020 1:12 PM

Jan 2017
1.) I do not believe it is anyone's 'fault' how you turn out, as there are many factors that change how life turns out. I do believe you have the power to change it though. I was in the same place you are and what really helped me (along with therapy and medication) was getting a job. Having a reason to wake up in the morning and having a distraction from life was really beneficial to me. I do not even spend the money I make on anything, I just work to get out of the house. It is also a good way to be friendly with people. I wouldn't consider my coworkers "friends" but I really like them and they are much better than knowing no one. I think you need to find something; an outdoor hobby, job, club, volunteering, ect. that will provide a schedule and introduce you to new people.

2.) A negative mood can bring people down. A lot of people try to keep negative energy out of there life and even though it may be cruel it is beneficial to them. It seems as though the girl you are interested in isn't avoiding you due to depression, she just isn't interested. There will be others who you will connect wih more :) Try not to use depression as an excuse and read people's social cues, wollowing in self-pity isn't helpful for anything (just look at incels)
Sep 15, 2020 2:14 PM

Jan 2019
Holo-_- said:

Aren't there therapists where you live? Psychological help (teraphy, talk) is different from psychiatry (medication and treatment). Medication alone only deals with the symptoms, while therapy tries to approach to the cause of the problem. This type of professional help is specially important when you feel like you can't improve by yourself, and psychologists are trained to help other people. Normal folks (like you, me and the girl you like) are not trained to do so, nor we might have the disposition, time and emotional strength to take others' grief to ourselves.

Also, I don't think getting better is a matter of going out and suddenly getting things sorted out. It's all about minor improvements that will accumulate to a major improvement on the long run. When you're at your lowest point, if you just worry about today, you will get better results tomorrow then if you worry about the next five days and more.

The abuse and suffering you had were not your fault, but as people have said, you have the agency to try to change how you feel about it and move on. The sad truth is, we can't change our past.

Also, try not to be a 'slave' to people because you want their attention and affection. If you willingly help that girl with her stuff, that's your decision, you can't really expect nothing in return. And if she actually asks for your help and you do so expecting a trade, you have to make it clear, or just stop. You can't be a person's assistant and friend at the same time.
Sep 15, 2020 3:27 PM
Jul 2020
okay, i cant write that much because i dont have too much time before my ipad dies, but ill try to help as much as i can.
First, im on a discord group i found here on MAL, its called friends group and there many nice ppl there! It was the first discord group i felt welcomed and i actually made real friends that i trust and that i can talk to when im not feeling good. If u want i can sen u the link to join it! I swear everyone there is really friendly and welcoming!
Second, Im 19 and I also have depression, combined with generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks. Depression is a disease, it is not ur fault. Would u ever tell someone who has cancer its their fault they have it? Or someone who has any other illnes? Doest make sense, right?
I had to drop out of university because of my depression cause i couldnt get out of bed. I wouldnt shower or do LITERALLY anything, other than maybe eat some junk food, cause thats what i do to try to feel a little happiness or pleasure, even knowing it doesnt work. Ofc im younger and every situation is different, but i want u to know that i get that, and thats not ur fault.
Also, theres ppl that really dont understand how depression works and dont know how go deal w us, not necessarily means they hate depressed ppl... But anyways, theres many ppl that r not willing to help, but theres also many that would help as much as they could! Feel free to text me if u want! I love to meet new ppl and even tho im a lil shy im really nice hahaha
If u want to join that discord group i talked about i think u would like it :) Just let me know! And i hope things get better soon!
Sep 15, 2020 4:34 PM

Feb 2019
Luchse said:
Holo-_- said:
Of course it's my alt. In fact, every account on MAL is an alt of mine, including yours.
Sep 15, 2020 6:23 PM
Dec 2010
While not your fault to be blamed for your circumstances, it is only you that can change your current situation and no one can do things for you if you don't. This may sound unfair in certain situations but ultimately, you are the only one responsible for your own life. While I don't think you should stop playing games or watching anime, you probably need to fix your mind somehow. Perhaps those games and animes will eventually put some hope into your life with certain ways of putting the ideals that you can strive to make happen. It's probably one way of getting over your abuse problem.

Like others have said, people tend to avoid over-negative people as they can become a problem in their life. Most people either have their own problems to deal with, in which case, they understood you but couldn't find the right words or time for it, or they live a normal life up until now and just couldn't understand you. There are those who also seems to find pleasure in seeing other's down and kicking you further down. Relationships are built upon positive benefits and influences so you might not want to stop providing help but you should make it clear that you aren't just a tool for her sake. That will probably require more communication on both ends the way I see it.

Other times, people are just giving you the space and time to deal with your problems, I mean sometime, when we are in a terrible situation, we don't think clearly and see the entire picture so it's only apparent to others, that the best thing they can do is to give you the space and time to recover from it.

Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Sep 15, 2020 6:49 PM

Aug 2020
BallistikJuice said:
How can you afford to just play games and watch Anime all day everyday? Sounds like every mans dream

Because he's living under the roof of someone else that pays for all his shit.

It's absolutely disgraceful. Stop blaming your past and depression for this shit.

Get a fucking JOB. You are completely responsible for the way you've turned out. Stop using your past and depression as an excuse. I have depression too, but that's not going to stop me form working. You just don't want to WORK.

You're sitting on your ass playing video games all day and watching anime, but you think your life is so hard huh? Smh

Get up out that mans house lmfao. In the time that it took you to type this horrendous thread, you could've been filling out a job application.
EnergizedSep 15, 2020 6:54 PM
Sep 15, 2020 7:30 PM
Jul 2018
sounds like you're trying to climb the stairs with a broken leg and no crutches. get some meds it'll help you take the first few steps and then build and maintain a support system to get you up the next flight.
eventually your leg will heal and then you and those who supported you can get some coffee in the cafeteria. then maybe you can do a bit of work and the next coffee will be on you. sound like a plan?
Sep 15, 2020 9:32 PM
Jul 2018
Just try getting a job for now. Maybe you'll get lucky and make friends with coworkers. Just try getting one and you won't feel bad anymore. Don't say life is unfair man. There are people who have it worse than you (not trying to hate)
Sep 15, 2020 9:45 PM
Jul 2018
First of all, you need to stop simping.
And yes, it may be true you had a rough start, but if you don't try and get up yourself the fault isn't anyone's but yours.
removed-userSep 15, 2020 10:28 PM
Sep 15, 2020 10:26 PM

Jan 2020
Lucky you, giving objective opinions is my specialty.

1. You're 28 years old and so you're more than capable to work. If you have time to play video games and watch anime, then you have time to look for a job. You're just lacking in willpower.

If you think you're depressed, do something about it. Spending time on bed and not doing anything would lead to a downward spiral.

Objectively speaking, you can't control your past and spending time thinking about things you cannot change is foolish. That's just your excuse.

2. Because people hate downers. You aren't even happy with yourself, why do you expect people would be happy with you? Make peace with yourself first.

If you give someone a favor, don't expect her to return it. Social relationship is not transactional.

Anyway, I'm not writing this out to kick you while you're down. It's to motivate you and I hope you get better.
"You misunderstood from the very beginning. You just believed what you wanted to believe."
Rei Ayanami
Sep 15, 2020 10:30 PM
Dec 2014
@Zefyris 's first post pretty much summarised most of what I think.

Exercise can help with the release of the release of chemicals that regulate your mood. And if you can find something you can enjoy with others (it doesn't have to be some team game if you don't want to be with tons of people), you can also make new friends from there.
Sep 16, 2020 12:19 AM
Nov 2016
@Energized If you really are depressed as you say, you should know, that its NOT as easy as you make it sound....And its not like i am doing nothing at all, i mean how do you think i am able to help a 3. semester BioChemistry student with the math problems that neither she nor her friends could figure out? its because i'm teaching myself that kind of stuff, not at university because i don't think i am able to go to classes on a regular basis because as mentioned above some days my mind gets so heavy that i cant leave bed. But you telling me i am lazy and don't want to work is very unfair!!!
Sep 16, 2020 2:38 AM

Jun 2019
I can see a real positive point is all that you have said: you are good in mathematics! Furthermore, you are good at teaching, why don't you aim at becoming a teacher/lecturer/researcher? I know that it may be hard for you to go back to studying in college, but I can tell that the transition would be much smoother rather than working directly for a company. Right now, your chances to pass in a job interview seem rather slim to me. In college, you would start building self-confidence little by little by passing exams and helping your friends (forget about simping though, I did it myself because I cannot just refuse when people ask for mathematical explanations, but I ended up hiding in a corner of the library at some point lol), so that seems like a reasonable idea.

Have you watched 3-gatsu no Lion? See how Rei comes out of depression very slowly, there are no magical changes that will occur all of a sudden.

Last but not least, you may think that 28 is old but I know people who restarted college after 35 or even much later. It is never too late, so ganbatte!

About who's fault it is, I think that this question is not even relevant. How to get out of this mental state is.
Sep 16, 2020 2:59 AM
Nov 2016
Meusnier said:
Have you watched 3-gatsu no Lion? See how Rei comes out of depression very slowly, there are no magical changes that will occur all of a sudden.

Indeed, i have seen that show, at least the 1. season, but the clear difference is that he has the 3 girls helping him get out of that situation by forcing him to leave the house and leave his comfort zone plus Akari probabbly has feelings for him (i don't know since i haven't seen season 2) so i'd say you cant compare his situation to mine.
I agree with your first point, i could probably go to university and get a degree but as mentioned above, some days my head just won't let me do anything, it can be fine for some days maybe even for a week or 2 but at some point i won't be able to attend classes, its sad but true.
Anyways thanks for your advice
Sep 16, 2020 3:05 AM

Jun 2019
Holo-_- said:
Meusnier said:

Indeed, i have seen that show, at least the 1. season, but the clear difference is that he has the 3 girls helping him get out of that situation by forcing him to leave the house and leave his comfort zone plus Akari probabbly has feelings for him (i don't know since i haven't seen season 2) so i'd say you cant compare his situation to mine.
I agree with your first point, i could probably go to university and get a degree but as mentioned above, some days my head just won't let me do anything, it can be fine for some days maybe even for a week or 2 but at some point i won't be able to attend classes, its sad but true.
Anyways thanks for your advice

Yes indeed, situations cannot be compared in general but the process to get of depression can in my opinion (even when you do not have three nice girls to help you get better lol). I think that you should watch season 2 by the way, it is extremely good and much more uplifting.

You are very welcome! I think that you may want to see a therapist or a doctor to make better those headaches or whatever you are suffering from; otherwise, it may be very hard to change anything about your current situation.
Sep 16, 2020 3:16 AM
Jul 2018
vuxk said:
Lucky you, giving objective opinions is my specialty.

1. You're 28 years old and so you're more than capable to work. If you have time to play video games and watch anime, then you have time to look for a job. You're just lacking in willpower.

If you think you're depressed, do something about it. Spending time on bed and not doing anything would lead to a downward spiral.

Objectively speaking, you can't control your past and spending time thinking about things you cannot change is foolish. That's just your excuse.

Lol just get a job" isn't really helping.
Not being able to even leave your bed is a sign for severe depressions. That's both not a lack of willpower, it's an actual mental illness.

Most people only get help when others are supporting them, since I know from myself that depressions make your energy to do something at all going under sea level niveau. I often only got out of bed then, because someone tried to meet up or friends or my boyfriend wrote me "See you tomorrow before the courses start to go for a coffee." I'm personally pretty social and a bit extraverted. I can understand that it's awful when you have nobody and no social motivation to get you out of the bed and house.

Also, most people aren't "lazy", there are often much deeper reasons why people don't have any energy and motivation at all. It's often a mix of an inbalance of hormones and past experiences influencing you. As soon as I got my own antidepressants and now get a better dose of it, I didn't have so much energy and motivation for many, many years.

Holo-_- said:
Hello anime-fans,

I know that my post is not related to anime but since i like watching anime a lot, i thought it was maybe the best decision to ask the people who like the same things i do!

so I got 2 questions for you guys. 1. as mentioned in the title, i would like your objective opinion on my life situation and wether i am to blame.

I am 28 years old, i don't have a job and i basicly play online video-games and watch anime all day.

My problem is that i am really really depressed, i cry about 5-6 times a day and i cant bring myself to try to change my situation, since i get really hardcore depressed about 2-3 days every 2 weeks, where i can't even leave the bed, so i can't do anything over an extended period of time.

So my question is wether you think that under the circumstances i grew up in, do you think it is normal to turned out this way or is it my fault? From my perspective i think i got pushed down this road but since i can't judge my own situation objectively, I wanted to ask you guys for your opinion!

2. I would like your opinion on why most people tend to hate you when you have depressions, and totally exclude you from 99.99% of all social activities? I mean there is this girl i really really like and she hardly even acknowledges my existence, the only situation where she texts me back is when she doesn't understand her math classes at university and seeks help (i'm pretty good at that kind of stuff). I even once told her that i am really sad right now and basicly all she said was "oh that is really bad for you" but everytime she needs help i take the whole evening to go through her stuff and then try to make it understandable for her...

I just feel like life is so unfair, especially when you had a bad start, people will put you down even more, instead of helping you get up, I don't understand why that is...??

Anyways please tell me your objective opinion on my 2 questions, I hope you guys are having a better time than me, i am in a pretty dark place right now and i kinda don't see the light at the end of the tunnel =(

I know myself it's a really difficult first step, but you need to get yourself to a psychiatrist to give you antidepressants in first place. Of course it's easier with help, but you also need to work yourself on it. Tbh I'm really angry at myself as well that I haven't done this years ago myself.
Then you have a better basis to actually work on everything and bring yourself in a position where you can meet people, who actually care for you more than you doing their homework.

You also should tell her how you see it and that you feel like she's taking advantage of you. You can't complain about her without telling her it face to face. But I guess it's hard for you, since she seems to be your only contact, if I'm right? Maybe she also doesn't recognize how you perceive her actions and she thinks everything is fine between you two.

Meusnier said:

And watch 3gatsu no Lion! No really, do that.
Edit: Good, now watch the 2nd one. And you are not wrong tho, he got a lot of support.
Sep 16, 2020 3:54 AM
Nov 2016
@_Maneki-Neko_ the thing is that i am very opposed to the idea of taking medicine because as someone already pointed out in an earlier post, medicine just numbs the pain but it doesn't solve the issue.
And i was not really complaining about her not being thankful...I helped her because i like to see her succeed.
Saying that i wish she would text me more was not a complain, its just one of the things that make me sad.
Sep 16, 2020 4:34 AM
Jul 2018
Holo-_- said:
@_Maneki-Neko_ the thing is that i am very opposed to the idea of taking medicine because as someone already pointed out in an earlier post, medicine just numbs the pain but it doesn't solve the issue.
And i was not really complaining about her not being thankful...I helped her because i like to see her succeed.
Saying that i wish she would text me more was not a complain, its just one of the things that make me sad.

It's not there to solve any issue. There is a big misconception about it. It's there to help regulating your mood and hormones, so you get some energy back and courage to work on your problems.
When you take the right dose, you get a normal set of emotions and moods back and you won't fall into these moods and deep holes where you even can't do anything and can't even deal with your daily life. You still have this ometimes, but not that often. You also shouldn't get an articial feeling of shallow happiness on a right dose. It's just regulating your mood to normal levels.

If you have troubles to get help or anything without any outside support, I might could help you a bit If you live far away, of course just online, but still.
When you want something to change you need to do something different than you did so far. And that's the first topic you are creating and reacting to, so you want to, but you don't know how. But don't expect that things will change completely from one moment to the next.

Btw That's really sweet of you, to be honest, but if she's a friend, who cares of your well-being, she would care if you tell her that you not feel good. Maybe sje also didn't get how you meant it. When someone tells her "I don't feel good and I'm sad", she maybe thinks it's like you just have a bad week, not that you have more serious problems.
removed-userSep 16, 2020 4:41 AM
Sep 16, 2020 4:36 AM

Jan 2019
Holo-_- said:

Medicine can help a lot though, mostly because it suppresses the physical symptoms that come with a mental illness. Having to worry about healing both physically and mentally at the same time can be quite exhausting.
But if you don't wanna take medicine and you believe you'll be fine without it, cool, but going to a professional to talk will still be extremely helpful.
We, people of the internet, can't guide you, because we don't really know you or what's going through your life in details (just look at the who people have been assuming things about you an judging you in this thread), so having a in-person support to talk to is probably better.
I don't know if you have the conditions (if you can do it financially and if no one from your family is gonna stop you etc.) to go see a doctor, though.
Sep 16, 2020 5:06 AM

Aug 2020
@Holo-_- Are you fucking kidding me? At 18 I was severely depressed and was only watching anime and playing video games. Want to know how I changed things? I got a fucking JOB. It was a shit job, but the paper is all that mattered. I didn't have the time to sit around being depressed all the time. And now 6 years later, I'm making good money working 9 hours daily. Just get a job and stop being broke. It's not that hard. You're depressed because you don't work.

@_Maneki-Neko_ Ahh here we go with that mental illness bullshit as usual. Because a grown man with no job spending his days watching anime and playing games is all because of mental illness and depression. Get outta here with that bull shit. He just doesn't want to work. I mean, how hard could your life be if you're eating your mamas food LMFAO. To be living under the roof of a hard working person that pays for all your shit while you're a grown adult not working, now that's absolutely disgraceful.

The problem with OP is that he actually thinks his life is hard. Spending your days watching anime and sitting on the internet throwing a pity party for yourself doesn't sound like a hard life to me. We all wish we had the free time to do that, but we're too busy WORKING. There's people out there that WISH they were in your shoes OP.

Go apologize to the hard working people that pay for all your shit, and get a fucking job. Get up out that womans house lmfao.

Sep 16, 2020 5:16 AM
Nov 2016
Well dude, no offence but your job can't be that hard if you can effort to be up at 2:15am to write comments on myanimelist (in case the country you show in your profile is correct)
Sep 16, 2020 5:23 AM

Jan 2019
Energized said:
@Holo-_- Are you fucking kidding me? At 18 I was severely depressed and was only watching anime and playing video games. Want to know how I changed things? I got a fucking JOB. It was a shit job, but the paper is all that mattered. I didn't have the time to sit around being depressed all the time. And now 6 years later, I'm making good money working 9 hours daily. Just get a job and stop being broke. It's not that hard. You're depressed because you don't work.

@_Maneki-Neko_ Ahh here we go with that mental illness bullshit as usual. Because a grown man with no job spending his days watching anime and playing games is all because of mental illness and depression. Get outta here with that bull shit. He just doesn't want to work. I mean, how hard could your life be if you're eating your mamas food LMFAO. To be living under the roof of a hard working person that pays for all your shit while you're a grown adult not working, now that's absolutely disgraceful.

The problem with OP is that he actually thinks his life is hard. Spending your days watching anime and sitting on the internet throwing a pity party for yourself doesn't sound like a hard life to me. We all wish we had the free time to do that, but we're too busy WORKING. There's people out there that WISH they were in your shoes OP.

Go apologize to the hard working people that pay for all your shit, and get a fucking job. Get up out that womans house lmfao.

If you don't understand mental illnesses, then your word on the matter is pretty much next to worthless, honestly.

Holo-_- said:
Well dude, no offence but your job can't be that hard if you can effort to be up at 2:15am to write comments on myanimelist (in case the country you show in your profile is correct)

lol
Sep 16, 2020 5:36 AM
Nov 2016
@sheklon I guess you were right, random people on the internet probably make assumptions too quickly, but as i said in my Post, i was not looking for people to sort things out for me, but rather for an outside opinion on my current situation.
Nontheless i am very thankful for everyone who gave advice
Sep 16, 2020 5:49 AM

Jan 2019
Holo-_- said:
@sheklon I guess you were right, random people on the internet probably make assumptions too quickly, but as i said in my Post, i was not looking for people to sort things out for me, but rather for an outside opinion on my current situation.
Nontheless i am very thankful for everyone who gave advice

Yeah, I get that. But at the same time, it's kind of impossible to get an objective opinion on an essentially subjective topic.
I understand why you wanted to widen your scope and get an external view, though, and I think it's a good idea as long as you can filter the comments that are actually trying to help.
Sep 16, 2020 6:10 AM

Jul 2016
My only advice is not to seek advice from strangers on the internet, especially about something as personal as this. Go seek professional help, at least for a start.
Sep 16, 2020 6:17 AM
Mar 2019
Holo-_- said:
Hello anime-fans,

- Kinda agree with most people saying that what your father's actions were is not entirely your fault, but you always have the choice to make the future you want for yourself. I had been in the same situation as you were back when I was a teenager, I had to wait until I turned 18 to get a job and my first job just made things worse for me, mentally speaking. When I got better thanks to professional help (which was funded by the savings I made from that shit job, surprisingly) I found another one, and from there things just improved immensely because I learned how to filter out people and stayed with those I'm comfortable with, while remaining civil with those that I have to work with but don't necessarily like. That shit took three years, so it's a very long process and I don't think I'm completely cleared of my illnesses so to speak.

If I didn't give myself that 1% of trust *that I can be so much better than I was*, I probably wouldn't be here. So at least give yourself that fighting chance no matter how small. Any positive progress should always be welcome, and use that to keep walking forward to the future you want for yourself. What's done in the past is no longer in your control so take hold of what you can - and that is your future.

It seems that you might be good at teaching stuff like math, so you may also want to look into being a tutor for starters! Always look into what talent/skill you may have when it comes to these things, because if you like doing it and you got some positive feedback over it it'll at least help clear out the fog and motivate you to work :)

- I can't answer to the second question as I'd probably get too subjective but here's what I think. I personally don't like being around people who says negative things a lot, because I get the same mood as them too eventually, and I think we'd just end up sinking each other's boat. Not everyone has the sort of mental and emotional fortitude that allows them absorb someone else's pain and helps them get through it as well, unless we're talking about mental healthcare professionals. They're the best people you can count on on these things if you ask me, not just the people who you think are your friends.

Life *is* unfair and has always been, though. But I don't think all of us have been here without any fighting chance so take what you have. You're kinda lucky that you even have equipment and someone's paying stuff on your behalf -- might as well take advantage of it. Even a toothpick can make mean damage to someone's eyeballs if you dig it hard enough, you know. You probably just need to take the initiative then be creative about how you do things. I wish you the best of luck.
Sep 16, 2020 6:27 AM

Aug 2020
Holo-_- said:

Don't even start there buddy. The discussion is about YOU, the one that doesn't have a job. What I do isn't relevant to the topic.

@Sheklon There is no evidence that says that OP has mental illness. Again, he just doesn't want to work. Jesus christ this generation is fucked. People that don't want to work blaming their shit on mental illness which they most likely don't have. As for depression, that's not a good excuse either. I also have depression, but that won't stop me from making money lmfao. There's many people with depression that work. Having depression doesn't mean you should not be working, especially when you're literally on the internet throwing a pity party for yourself. Unless he's disabled, he should be working.

Once again, how hard can life be when you're eating your mamas food. How does it feel having your mama pay your phone bill, knowing she can turn it off any second if she gets pissed at you. How does it feel having your mama pay for all your shit? Not talking directly to you, just in general. OP is 28 with no job, while on the internet throwing a pity party for himself. A person that has "mental illness" can sit there watching anime and playing video games all day and apparently his life is hard. But people in third world countries that work their asses off day in day out that still barely make money ALSO have hard lives. Something doesn't seem right. Life is unfair for one of them, but it sure ain't you OP.

You're literally living under the roof of a working person that pays everything for and all you do is watch anime and game all day, WHILE on the INTERNET complaining about how unfair life is.

I'm outta here lmfao. I'm not even gonna bother. The only thing I have left to say is get up out that womans house lmfao.

EnergizedSep 16, 2020 6:35 AM
Sep 16, 2020 6:35 AM

Jan 2019
Energized said:
Holo-_- said:

Don't even start there buddy. The discussion is about YOU, the one that doesn't have a job. What I do isn't relevant to the topic.

@Sheklon There is no evidence that says that OP has mental illness. Again, he just doesn't want to work. Jesus christ this generation is fucked. People that don't want to work blaming their shit on mental illness which they most likely don't have. As for depression, that's not a good excuse either. I also have depression, but that won't stop me from making money lmfao. There's many people with depression that work. Having depression doesn't mean you should not be working, especially when you're literally on the internet throwing a pity party for yourself. Unless he's disabled, he should be working.

Once again, how hard can life be when you're eating your mamas food. How does it feel having your mama pay your phone bill, knowing she can turn it off any second if she gets pissed at you. How does it feel having your mama pay for all your shit? Not talking directly to you, just in general. OP is 28 with no job, while on the internet throwing a pity party for himself.

I hope you filled out at least one job application ever since you made this thread.

Did you ever look up the common symptoms of depression (a mental illness)?
Do you realize that depression comes in many forms and there are degrees of less/more severity? It seems you never had it severely enough that you were stuck in bed and couldn't get up for whatever reasons at all. You don't have to be a starving child in Africa to be fucked up.
Again, apparently you do not understand the matter.

You are not wrong about him being in age and a good position to start looking for work, but then again, if he can't do it, he can't do it. He'll have to get some things out of the way first, that is, part of the aspects of his mental issues.
Sep 16, 2020 6:49 AM

Jan 2020
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Not being able to even leave your bed is a sign for severe depressions. That's both not a lack of willpower, it's an actual mental illness.

It's because I suspected OP doesn't have depression or only suffered from a mild one. ICD-10 considers dysphoria (a persistent sense of sadness), anhedonia (a persistent state of lack of usual enjoyment or pleasure in previously pleasurable activities), and reduced energy to be the three typical symptoms of depression. While it's true that he experiences dysphoria, there is no sign of anhedonia as shown below:

He's still playing video games and watching anime for God's sake.

That's why I think a total change in lifestyle would suffice. He should start by looking for a job because otherwise, he would spend his time mulling over his past and it would amplify negative emotions. When people are preoccupied with negative thoughts, they tend to withdraw and avoid activity. The negative thought and inactivity would feed off each other and make his depression worse over time.
"You misunderstood from the very beginning. You just believed what you wanted to believe."
Rei Ayanami
Sep 16, 2020 8:50 AM
Jul 2020
I don't there is anything called an "objective opinion". You can ask for advise, but you can't apply everything word for word, everyone has their own personal experiences.
Sep 16, 2020 2:48 PM
Jul 2018
vuxk said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

It's because I suspected OP doesn't have depression or only suffered from a mild one. ICD-10 considers dysphoria (a persistent sense of sadness), anhedonia (a persistent state of lack of usual enjoyment or pleasure in previously pleasurable activities), and reduced energy to be the three typical symptoms of depression. While it's true that he experiences dysphoria, there is no sign of anhedonia as shown below:

That's why I think a total change in lifestyle would suffice. He should start by looking for a job because otherwise, he would spend his time mulling over his past and it would amplify negative emotions. When people are preoccupied with negative thoughts, they tend to withdraw and avoid activity. The negative thought and inactivity would feed off each other and make his depression worse over time.

That's a very cliched view on depressions. If you then finally get the energy to do something, ofc most would spend time with something they still can enjoy in their life.

Depression doesn't automatically mean that you are that "sad UwU". For me it was and is, that I have really low energy level and can't bring myself to do stuff. And if I do, it costs a lot more energy than it should take, on some days something like daily tasks etc.

Of course that gets worse in loneliness and when you get too much time for yiurself to overthink stuff and no goals in addition to that, you fall even more into a negative mindset. But it's not that easy and no reason to doubt what he's going through and it's not that simple that you are just caring what happens in the past.

Also a depression doesn't exclude a possible addiction either.
removed-userSep 16, 2020 3:38 PM
Sep 16, 2020 3:01 PM
Jul 2018
The first step clearly is that you'll have to start bringing changes to how you think about yourself and various aspects of your life. I don't think you cannot do that on your own. A therapist is the best bet. Do not take the medication if you do not want to but the discussion sessions with a therapist have been known to help push a lot of people out of their lethargic states of mind.

Regarding why people avoid depressed people: 1) many people do not know how to react or help in such situations, 2) some people actively try to avoid associating with negativity just so they don't get negative thoughts.
Sep 16, 2020 3:20 PM

Aug 2018
Damn rip bro, ur life sucks ass. Just try not to feel bad for yourself, thats my advice for u!

Sep 17, 2020 3:37 AM

Jan 2020
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
vuxk said:

That's a very cliched view on depressions. If you then finally get the energy to do something, ofc most would spend time with something they still can enjoy in their life.

Depression doesn't automatically mean that you are that "sad UwU". For me it was and is, that I have really low energy level and can't bring myself to do stuff. And if I do, it costs a lot more energy than it should take, on some days something like daily tasks etc.

Of course that gets worse in loneliness and when you get too much time for yiurself to overthink stuff and no goals in addition to that, you fall even more into a negative mindset. But it's not that easy and no reason to doubt what he's going through and it's not that simple that you are just caring what happens in the past.

Also a depression doesn't exclude a possible addiction either.

It's not cliche, I'm being as objective as I possibly could. My opinion is based on ICD-10 and according to the manual, these are the symptoms of depression in addition to the three most typical ones I've already mentioned:

at least 2 weeks of lowered mood, anhedonia, reduced energy, reduced concentration, sleep disturbances, reduced appetite, self-confidence reduced, feelings of guilt and worthlessness, psychomotor retardation or agitation, loss of libido

But you're right that not having one of the symptoms doesn't automatically rule out depression. I think the number of symptoms OP has would determine the severity and the examination should be performed by a pro. Still, there is a self-assessment instrument (QIDS-SR16) that OP could use to have a general idea:

@Holo-_-

Rei Ayanami
Sep 17, 2020 4:20 AM
Jul 2018
Adversity will make or break you. There are many people who have experienced the same as you. Just look at the Elric brothers from Fullmetal Alchemist for example. They used that pain and suffering to fuel them and push forward. Look at Genghis Khan. Same thing there.

You won’t be crying 6 times per day for ever.

To live is to suffer. To survive is to find meaning in the suffering. - Friedrich Nietzsche

That which doesn’t kill you...
removed-userSep 17, 2020 5:14 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 4 hours ago

8 by Maou_heika »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

19 by Eziprez »»
6 minutes ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

39 by ProGoddess »»
39 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

25 by KitsuFrost »»
56 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 10 hours ago

5 by Zettaiken »»
58 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.