Forum Settings
Forums

Can someone suffer while having achieved success?

New
Jul 19, 2020 9:10 PM

Feb 2020
Yes, I know the meme.

But real talk here.

I feel like life never stops raising the bar. No matter how much you work, it's never there yet and when you think you've reached success you realize how little it is what you've accomplished. You think you've done enough to at least be praised, but then people say you did nothing more than your obligation, what was expected of you. You think you're finally good or worthy of respect at something, but you look around and there are so many people so far ahead of you. And there is always the fear of, in the end, looking back and asking yourself "was it all worth it?". I am not depressed about it or anything, but every now and then these thoughts come back to my mind and, now that I am on MAL, I wanted to share them.

Have you ever felt like that? what are your opinions on suffering while having achieved something?
Jul 19, 2020 9:22 PM

Jan 2017
yes, i especially felt this way about school. i felt like i was a hamster on a wheel.

i suppose that’s what happens when you strive for someone else’s idea of success.
once you hit that mark that is expected of you and you feel unfulfilled, then i think you should do something else

success is subjective imo, especially for this reason of suffering. ya got to suffer for the “right” reasons.

what do you want yourself? is a good question to ask yourself
p0ckyyJul 19, 2020 9:36 PM
Jul 19, 2020 9:26 PM

Aug 2014
The stereotyped notion of success is a scam in many ways. Instead of aiming to conform to others' expectations, it's best to strive toward happiness in your own way. Allowing the mob to determine your path and outlook on life can be a source of unhappiness.

To answer the original question, of course "successful" people can suffer immensely. There are countless miserable millionaires out there.
Jul 19, 2020 11:37 PM

Mar 2020
i think this also would b related with comparison
to me, it feels like even after achieving something, there would always b people ahead of you
and i've definitely felt let down by this, but im trying to work on the mentality of being proud of things ive accomplished, and to not compare myself to other peoples achievements as everyone is different
i think one should do something that they enjoy and b proud of themselves, instead of looking for validation from others
even if they don't find value, if you feel proud, thats what should matter over anyone elses' opinions
Jul 19, 2020 11:46 PM

Jan 2009
in terms of celebrity status the more you attract vocal haters that affects humans negativity bias more so ye you can suffer that way and even trigger your latent mental illness

for anime then this video says it

Jul 19, 2020 11:52 PM
Jul 2018
Sure. You get promoted and bam! - now you have to spend your lunchtime with all the boring fucks to establish “useful connections”. Ja, ja, Hans, I’m very interested in your workout routine, please tell me more.
Jul 20, 2020 6:06 AM
Jul 2018
Of course. Success in one aspect of your life doesn't ensure success in all other aspects.
Jul 20, 2020 7:43 AM

Jan 2020
Yes, there is a Buddhist concept that deals with the problem. Basically, humans inherently want more and more, but following this inner desire is dangerous because eventually we will reach a limit of what we can get. Human desire is limitless and obtaining everything won't lead us to happiness. So, we first need to appreciate what we have and achieve inner contentment. It doesn't mean that we should stop trying to be better or have more, the key is not to be attached to them. If you have a strong sense of contentment, it doesn't matter whether you obtain the object or not. We suffer because we feel attached to our goals or material possession. That's why some people are still not satisfied even though they obtain the object of their desire and that's ironic because their underlying motive is to seek satisfaction.
"You misunderstood from the very beginning. You just believed what you wanted to believe."
Rei Ayanami
Jul 20, 2020 7:54 AM

Oct 2013
There's only happiness in following God's law
Jul 20, 2020 7:55 AM

Dec 2015
Also don't forget about stuff like this:
https://www.today.com/health/settling-silver-why-second-place-worse-third-927013

If you are only barely away 1 step from the very top ... it might feel more annoying then if you were mor far away.

Also people in business in high positions in companies ... have lots of stress and work. They might not even have enough time to enjoy the shitload of money they make.
Jul 20, 2020 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
I used to think that if I kept working hard that I would eventually get to relax and indulge in the things that give me the most pleasure. But it seems that all I have managed to do is become a taxpayer (been working 15 years now with only 4 months or so unemployed) and now I have to work while the people who decided to live a life of pleasure without work are able to keep doing so. I need to go on more binges when I get time off / time to myself. I need to reward myself more often.
removed-userJul 20, 2020 10:32 AM
Jul 21, 2020 5:28 AM
Jul 2020
It depends a lot on what success mean to you. Is it money? Having a family? Cereer success? Because first of all, you can have EVERYTHING u could ever wish for and still have depression, because that is a disease, not a mood. And if success mean money or career success to you, even tho you are not really depressed you can still suffer. Theres lot more in life than that.
In my opinion success is being happy, living in a confortable way and having a nice family and friends. Also, i dont think I need to reach a big goal to achieve success. We all achieve success every day, every month... with our small goals. You should pay more attention to that.
And why do you care so much if there is someone better or more "successful" than you? There will always be ppl more and less successful than you! It looks like your goal is to achieve the greatness over everyone else, and that doesnt make sense!! What are you trying to prove? Just find something that makes you happy and you will be successful!
One more thing: if i learn something with my depression is that when you achieve even the smallest goals, thats already success. I am successful every time a have enough strenght to leave my bed in the morning and take a shower. Also everytime im feeling genuinely happy, i feel successful. It only depends on ur view of things.
Jul 21, 2020 5:21 PM

Aug 2015
Rock music has a high suicide rate for a reason. Whether it be before theit succes or after, anybody can suffer regardless of their circumstances. The German band Rammstein has a song about their loss of freedom after becoming popular. Kurt Kobain from Nirvana, Layne from Alice in Chains, Chester from Linkin Park, Chris from Audioslave, Soundgardem, all majorly succesful bands but all of them killed themselves because of depressio.
Metal, games, and good friends make life worth living
Discord: kingkrazy#0336
Jul 25, 2020 10:11 AM

Jun 2019
Yes of course because you become purposeless after you achieve your goal. Some brilliant people who were awarded a Nobel Prize at a young age did not do much afterwards (and yes, some people only work for prizes...).

It seems that Fields medalists too tend to slack off a little bit for various factors, but the pressure to keep producing high quality work should not be underestimated. In other words, they may be suffering more than their colleagues of the same scientific level. See the following article.
Jul 25, 2020 1:36 PM
Jan 2019
Of course. Especially if you stick to someone else's definition of success. You follow your parents guides and advices regarding education or relationships. Until you find yourself popping depression meds two times a day with a "lovely" job,big house and a spouse. Your parents might be thrilled but you're one step from the noose.

Live and work for yourself. Or you're live and die pretending you were living. You were breathing and had a heartbeat. But you weren't alive.
Jul 25, 2020 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
Nutella71 said:
Of course. Especially if you stick to someone else's definition of success. You follow your parents guides and advices regarding education or relationships. Until you find yourself popping depression meds two times a day with a "lovely" job,big house and a spouse. Your parents might be thrilled but you're one step from the noose.

Live and work for yourself. Or you're live and die pretending you were living. You were breathing and had a heartbeat. But you weren't alive.

That kind of applies in general, not just in terms of success.
Just do what you want to do in life. There is a difference between stepping out of your comfort zone and forcing yourself heavily.
Jul 25, 2020 1:44 PM

Jun 2015
successful people have never been sad

Jul 25, 2020 1:49 PM
Discord Moderator
Feb 2014
No matter how much success I have, I still feel sad etc.
Jul 25, 2020 2:22 PM

Jun 2019
hverfa said:
successful people have never been sad

Sure, say that to Grothendieck. He spent literally months being apathetic and unable to conduct any work (he tells about it in Récoltes et Semailles). But you are probably joking.
Jul 25, 2020 2:28 PM

Oct 2015
It seems to me that success simply translates to more shit to worry about in life.
Jul 25, 2020 2:41 PM

Mar 2016
Have you ever felt like that?

Yes, I've studied computer science. And there is always someone better. There is always a preassure to reach the same level as your colleagues, as obligation. A lot of people here are very insensitive and always look down on the easy goals, unless the person to look down on is cute.

In terms of valuing success, I can see two types of people. The ones who celebrate and see every little step as a success. And the ones who just celebrate comparable results which can be put on a CV. It's totally up to the person what he perceives as important.

what are your opinions on suffering while having achieved something?

- sadness because you have no one to share your success with
- you compare yourself to the bigger ones
If that happens to me. Then I'll always try to boost up my self-esteem and think something like this: "I reached something. This something is undeniably something good. And no one will stop me to reach more of those."
Jul 25, 2020 2:43 PM

Dec 2013
Success =/= happiness

So yes, one can exist without the other.
Jul 25, 2020 2:44 PM
Jul 2018
liquid_soap said:
Have you ever felt like that?

Yes, I've studied computer science. And there is always someone better. There is always a preassure to reach the same level as your colleagues, as obligation. A lot of people here are very insensitive and always look down on the easy goals, unless the person to look down on is cute.

I am studying compsci myself, worked some time as well and just fuck some of it really.

Like I do enjoy coding and working in it, but of course I won't be able to compete with someone who lives via coding and has been spending his free time doing it since middle school. Or even if his/her parents are loaded enough so the person doesn't need to work to get by and that's just more time for him to code.

Shit just adds up quick.

More topics from this board

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

25 by _untitled »»
12 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 7 hours ago

3 by Spunkert »»
33 minutes ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

38 by Meusnier »»
39 minutes ago

» What are some of your favorite animals? ( 1 2 )

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

51 by scarydragon »»
44 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

47 by Meusnier »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.