Forum Settings
Forums

Anime characters you like that everyone else hates.

New
Jul 11, 2020 2:06 PM

Oct 2018
The squeal to my first positive unpopular opinions thread about anime you like that are hated by many. So with that being said who are some characters that you like that everyone else hates or gets a lot of hate rather.

My answer would be Suzaku Kururugi from Code Geass. My reason for this because he is the perfect ideological rival for Lelouch. Lelouch believes that the ends justifies the means. Suzaku on the other hand for most of the series believes the exact opposite. Which makes their various conflicts throughout the series so much more impactful in my honest opinion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2020 2:18 PM

Nov 2018
shaiapouf from hxh, dunno if he's hated though, but he's kinda annoying in general, but in elegant way
Jul 11, 2020 2:18 PM
Jan 2020
Chitoge from Nisekoi, everyone who says they like her gets called an masochist.

R-KJul 11, 2020 2:27 PM
Jul 11, 2020 2:45 PM

Jul 2019
Sakura from Naruto. Haha just kidding.

A serious answer would be Asta from Black Clover. A lot of people drop the show because of his screaming and he’s labeled as a generic shounen protagonist but I’m cool with him.
Jul 11, 2020 2:49 PM

Aug 2017
Sakura from Naruto.. and Boruto I don't get it why these characters get so much hate.
Jul 11, 2020 2:50 PM

Dec 2015
I do like Rachel from Tower of God.

Why do i like her?

Because she is a human, she acts like a human.
And it's rare when i can set myself in a anime character shoes.

Jealous turn's people to monster, so I can accept what Rachel does.

And I'm only a anime watcher, I heard that she is even worse in the WB.
NillwasJul 11, 2020 4:46 PM

Jul 11, 2020 2:55 PM

Feb 2018
I actually like Asta from Black Clover. I mean, yeah he's loud, but he's not always annoying. I like his character and I don't understand why people dislike him just for his voice? Like, are you not paying attention to other parts of him?

“Life is like a mountain – you can say you’ve reached the top, but only after climbing back down.”

“Happiness depends on each person. If you think you’re happy, then you must be happy.”

“Anime – it’s not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.”

Jul 11, 2020 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
Zenitsu from Demon Slayer. At least he HAS something resembling a personality.
Jul 11, 2020 3:11 PM

Mar 2018
Ichigo > zero two (by a wide margin). Scar is by far the best character in FMAB and suzaku > lelouch, again it's not close either
BfollsJul 11, 2020 3:17 PM
Jul 11, 2020 3:22 PM

Jul 2019
I like Near from death note. This guy literally is why Kira ended and everyone just hating on him because he isn't L.
Jul 11, 2020 3:43 PM

Apr 2020
• Boruto from Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
He used to be a brat who was confident in his abilities and hated his father because he didn't spend much time with his family. But he has changed. My boy Boruto is not the same person anymore. Now he cares about Naruto and believes in teamwork.

• Meliodas from Nanatsu no Taizai
I am not a big fan of him but I don't hate him either.

• Near from Death Note
Jul 11, 2020 3:49 PM

Jul 2017
Minko from Hanasaku Iroha. I mean, I can understand why she'd get hated on by I really liked her character.
Jul 11, 2020 4:02 PM

Aug 2019
sogegesoge said:
shaiapouf from hxh, dunno if he's hated though, but he's kinda annoying in general, but in elegant way

Poufs violin skills do hit different tho.
Jul 11, 2020 4:04 PM
Nov 2018
Sakura from Naruto. I like how her character development was about her trying to be useful, but of course everyone didn't like how for a majority of the show she was basically just that and even when she thought she had caught up she basically didn't. I respect her character arc though.
Jul 11, 2020 4:04 PM

May 2018
Sakura from Naruto , the main thing she gets dunked on is for being weak....but she's like the only main who doesn't have some OP demon type curse shit or family inherited jutsu literally providing her powers, she built up her own enormous strength from years of training (also shes a medical ninja who saves the boys asses!!).
she's annoying yeah but that's cus men can't write women without them basing their lives around men.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Jul 11, 2020 4:12 PM

Jan 2016
Mine has to be Sayaka Miki from Madoka Magica.

Back then she used te be memed because of how stupid she is. Though to be fair thats kinda her point, so i can forgive it this time.
Jul 11, 2020 4:17 PM
Jul 2018
Rachel from Tower of God (Anime/Webtoon).
Jul 11, 2020 4:19 PM

Sep 2015
So many people hate Subaru from Re:Zero because of his character, but that's what I like the most about him. He offers a realistic take of what it would be like if your everyday weeb was actually isekaid.
Jul 11, 2020 4:21 PM

Apr 2020
Yeah, I like Katsuki Bakugou and Zenitsu.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Jul 11, 2020 4:25 PM
Mar 2018
One of the newer ones is Rachel from tower of god.
Jul 11, 2020 4:33 PM

Feb 2020
Shinji form NGE. He was just reacting like a normal teenager would.

IT'S NEVER OGRE
Jul 11, 2020 4:37 PM

Nov 2019
Nina Einstein. It's not that "everyone" hates her, but the SJW mob gives the appearance of such because virtue signalling is their lifeblood. Nina knows how to treat foreigners and tables, but she's also capable in her duties. She's also one of those "librarian" type hidden gems who just needs to take off her glasses and let down her hair to become a bombshell. The only people who can genuinely hate Nina are Buzzfeed writers, faggots (I don't mean regular normal gay people), and cucks, but I repeat myself.
Jul 11, 2020 4:39 PM

Oct 2017
Zenitsu made the show even better, he's actually funny.

Jul 11, 2020 4:39 PM

Jul 2019
I like Shirou Emiya. I see a lot of hate goes towards him. I could also say Zenitsu
Jul 11, 2020 4:44 PM

Apr 2020
sogegesoge said:

I adore Pouf. You are not alone! His melodramatic dedication is the best.
Jul 11, 2020 4:45 PM

Mar 2018
-Kyouko Kouda from 3-gatsu no Lion...A character that's pitiful, relatable, believable and hot(but that's just a bonus for me personally)

-Sakura Matou from Fate Stay Night(Heaven's Feel in particular)...A very tragic and misunderstood character that is perceived as annoying because her well being and mental state depends on the MC...making her very attached to him...to the point of being an obsession.

-Mika Shimotsuki from Psycho-Pass...A character that's average and mediocre as a person and as an inspector when it comes to her professional life, that wants to prove herself....However, she becomes over time a more self aware and mature woman and a likable and funny boss, letting her pride behind.

-Rachel from Tower of God...
Nillwas said:

she is a human, she acts like a human.
And it's rare when i can set myself in a anime character shoes.
Jealous turn's people do monster, so I can accept what Rachel does.

-Gabi Braun from Attack on Titan...I will say it before S4: GABI DID NOTHING WRONG!! She is one of the most well written and human AOT characters. She's hated because she's very antagonistic towards the main cast at the begginning...and those characters are supported by all the fanboys...But she develops a lot and she becomes one of the best characters.

!!!Bonus: Emiya Shirou it's a tricky one...I think he's a little more than a functional and decent MC, especially when it comes to the full story of Stay Night...where he can be called a well written MC but he isn't one of my personal favourite characters.
I also think Shinji Ikari it's well written in the context of the story....but in his case, I don't care if he's hated because I don't like him...in the real world I would be a bully for him.
DoruCatanaJul 11, 2020 5:03 PM
Jul 11, 2020 4:46 PM

Feb 2018
Kirito and Chitoge, I don't see the hate, I like their characters
Jul 11, 2020 4:50 PM

Oct 2019
I don't really know if they're that hated but most people don't seem to like them, I really don't see the problem with Natsu and Erza from Fairy Tail. Sure the anime sucks but they deliver the best fights and Natsu's theme ost is awesome, there's not much else else you can expect from Fairy Tail. Hate the anime, not it's best characters

@DoruCatana is Kyoko actually hated? She's one the best characters in 3-gatsu, she's so well worked and so confusing, one of the best written humans I've ever seen in anime. I would like to think that most people that actually manage to watch 3-gatsu wouldn't be shallow enough to hate on her just because she's annoying when there's so much going on. The only problem I see in stopping the story right where the second season ends is that we didn't get any closure on her
drunkleeJul 11, 2020 5:00 PM
Jul 11, 2020 4:59 PM

Jul 2014
Slaine from Aldnoah.Zero. He has his fans, but many hate him because of his many failures. I personally think he is the most interesting of the characters - he's in unusual circumstances, he has a dramatic character arc, and I simply love characters who get in trouble because of their own unconventional interests vs. the "logical" types (usually Sues who do as the author likes it). His main fault is that he wasn't able to drop the princess and commit to winning the war. Dindu nothing wrong otherwise.

Toujirou Kakisu from Xamd. I mean he's the antagonist and the only person who isn't forgiven in the end. He does a lot of bad stuff and there're hints that he wanted to do more. He is a cool, dynamic (and neurotic) 30+ military guy with personality (aside from being a soldier) tho. And he also fails because of his weird ideas. He is just too fun to watch and a great contrast to all the spiritual kids of the main cast.

Nobuchika Ginoza from the first Psycho Pass. He is yet another broken dude. I don't know what happened with him after the first cour, but I am sure it was lame, he doesn't get enough love, since he isn't a genius, and he was an asshole in the beginning. I empathized with him the most in the second half though, he was the most human one amidst all the genius AI scheming and BL baiting. I'd rather he had a proper cool arc for himself. Seeing him break and then become an enforcer was cathartic.

Mako from Kill La Kill is adorable, yet apparently divisive.
Jul 11, 2020 5:01 PM
Feb 2018
Sasuke Uchiha, he is a great charater who's actions r totally understandable & justified. Along with Kakashi & Pain he is the best character in the series imo
Jul 11, 2020 5:05 PM

Sep 2018
I like Danzo, he is a well-intentioned extremist, but he genuinely has the interests of the Hidden Leaf in mind. He's kind of the Elder Maxim of Naruto, another underrated character. I think he gets hate primarily because the Uchihas are all bishonen.
Jul 11, 2020 5:08 PM

Oct 2018
deadoptimist said:

The amount of hate that Mako of all characters gets really astonishes me. Yes I can understand someone finding her annoying or unfunny but people act like shes the literal devil when complaining about her. Like it's really not that serious she is a comedic side character and she actually does a few important things thoughout course of the series.
Jul 11, 2020 5:12 PM
Jul 2020
yukki from mirai nikki. people usually call him useless or a crybaby for relying on yuno so much but that's just a lonely 14yr old boy lol realistically that's all he could do.
Jul 11, 2020 5:13 PM
Jan 2020
Adding another post, a lot of people hate the female characters from Toradora. Like Ami, Minori, and Taiga. I liked all three and had no problem with any of them while watching. I mean sure all three had problems personality wise, but it wasn't to the point where I would want to hate on them and say that they ruined the show like some people have said.
Jul 11, 2020 5:24 PM

Mar 2018
drunklee said:

@DoruCatana is Kyoko actually hated? She's one the best characters in 3-gatsu, she's so well worked and so confusing, one of the best written humans I've ever seen in anime. I would like to think that most people that actually manage to watch 3-gatsu wouldn't be shallow enough to hate on her just because she's annoying when there's so much going on. The only problem I see in stopping the story right where the second season ends is that we didn't get any closure on her

Yes...SHE IS HATED...especially by those who don't like 3-gatsu-no Lion that much and describe the series as being "boring" and "uninteresting". The average viewer seeks simple and accesible entertainment and IT REALLY IS shallow enough to perceive this type of story on a very superficial level.
AS A REFERENCE...I was asked during a discussion how can I like Kyouko since she's a violent sociopath that raped Rei. -_-

Kyouko is hated even though she's one of the most well written and human characters in the story...Sadly...there are shallow people that misunderstand that much a character's actions!!
DoruCatanaJul 11, 2020 5:38 PM
Jul 11, 2020 5:37 PM

Jul 2014
Adimus_prime said:
deadoptimist said:

The amount of hate that Mako of all characters gets really astonishes me. Yes I can understand someone finding her annoying or unfunny but people act like shes the literal devil when complaining about her. Like it's really not that serious she is a comedic side character and she actually does a few important things thoughout course of the series.

I couldn't believe people hated her, tbh. I think she's stellar. Like, she's a genuinely funny female comedic side who's not about "lewd" jokes. She has more personality than some anime casts combined. Her family belongs to a recognizable type of low social class good, but opportunistic people, which genre movies like, but anime doesn't cover much (and definitely not high school fanservice-heavy anime). Pure gold.
But then I am not sure about KLK as a whole. To me it looks like a brilliant subversion, but for others it's just one more fanservice title.
Jul 11, 2020 5:44 PM
May 2020
Thorfinn ( before farmland)
Shinji ikari
Natsuki subaru
Eren jeager ( before S4)
Asta
Near
Jul 11, 2020 5:57 PM
May 2020
Jdr1 said:
Yeah, I like Katsuki Bakugou

Agree, just finished S3 and I never really had a problem with him even before that. His bs was balanced out by how funny some of his more irrational actions are and like... he's literally a teenage boy what do people expect
Jul 11, 2020 5:59 PM

Jul 2016
rachel tower of god + griffith berserk +re zero subaru
Alucard2490Jul 11, 2020 6:16 PM
Jul 11, 2020 6:02 PM
Jul 2018
Suzaku is hated? How come? I don't understand how people like Lelouch who is far more morally questionable, but dislike Suzaku.
Off the top of my head, I don't think I can name a single character that is widely hated that I like.
Jul 11, 2020 6:05 PM

Jan 2019
Idk, Kamijou Touma? Well, I don't think everyone hates it but there seems to be a large number of people who dislike him. I don't think he's bad. I think he's even better in New Testament.
Jul 11, 2020 6:11 PM

Oct 2018
AbsurdTurk said:
Suzaku is hated? How come? I don't understand how people like Lelouch who is far more morally questionable, but dislike Suzaku.
Off the top of my head, I don't think I can name a single character that is widely hated that I like.
From what I have seen people mainly don't like him because they think him wanting to change Brittania from the inside is stupid and his an idiot for believing in it.
Jul 11, 2020 6:15 PM

Oct 2018
misaka-9982 said:
Idk, Kamijou Touma? Well, I don't think everyone hates it but there seems to be a large number of people who dislike him. I don't think he's bad. I think he's even better in New Testament.
I don't think people dislike Touma he's just a lot of people's least favorite character when comparing him to others in the Toaru Series like Misaka, Accelerator, etc. Even me I like Touma but he's not my one of my favorites because in the grand scheme of things I like a lot of the other characters in Toaru a lot better.
Jul 11, 2020 6:23 PM

Jan 2008
Zenitsu from Demon Slayer. I know he annoys a lot of people but I find him fun and intriguing and likeable.
Jul 11, 2020 7:16 PM
Jul 2018
zenitsu agatsuma from kimetsu no yaiba, he’s funny xd
Jul 11, 2020 7:17 PM

Mar 2020
I dont get why Zenitsu is hated, i mean, yeah he is annoying, but it's also fun.
¿Existe una razón para que vivas en este mundo?
Jul 11, 2020 7:37 PM

Aug 2018
Haruhi Suzumiya (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu) gets way too much hate as do Shinji Ikari (Evangelion) and Mako (Kill la Kill) of course but I mean if you don't connect with a character then I guess it can't be helped.
I don't usually agree with most of the hate and criticism towards a lot of the most hated characters with the exception of a few like Shiro (Fate/Stay Night) and Nina (Code Geass). Most of the ones I hate rarely get mentioned in these kinds of discussions.
Jul 11, 2020 7:45 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Mineta. I do and don't like him. He's just hilarious perverted comedy relief. That's why I like and don't like him.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2020 7:49 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
Emilia. I like Rem as a character but it's not enough for me I guess
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Jul 11, 2020 7:51 PM

Jan 2020
Seryu Ubiquitous from Akame ga Kill
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

26 by TheBerserker »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

233 by Maumuu »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 1 hour ago

11 by Rhaelynne »»
5 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 33 minutes ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 46 minutes ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.