Forum Settings
Forums

Does hype affect your enjoyment/opinion about anime shows

New
May 11, 2020 3:31 PM

Apr 2019
Some anime(characters) gets lots of attention on social media and MAL. Most discussion about recent shows i see people who praise it into heavy or completely breaks it down. While i don't care about other opinions to start with the hype/hate i feel the hype does influence me. Shows which aren't bad feels just so much less after getting all the hype from the fandom and other shows feel surprisingly good for the amount of hate it gets. Hype is good to introduce more people into a certain anime. However, people who like specific genres might hate it because it doesn't suit their taste and they see it everywhere.

So here are some shows i think are over-glorified by the fandom

Demon Slayer
Rising of the Shield Hero
Tower of God (anime)
Arifureta

Some shows which have some haters because of hype
Tower of god
Kaguya-sama Love is War
Konosuba
JoJo
Violet Evergarden

So did you find yourself hating an anime because of its hype? Or are you the one who hypes it up.
Do you know shows who had to deal with hype haters?
2lifeMay 11, 2020 3:39 PM

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
May 11, 2020 3:35 PM

Oct 2014
Hype doesn't affect me much. Sometimes i'll see what the fuss is about but it generally doesn't impact me as that's not something i would carry into a show.

Ideally you shouldn't have to carry anything going into a show. You get what it gives you.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
May 11, 2020 3:37 PM

Aug 2019
I only get hype if I read the manga beforehand. If a show gets a lot of buzz I'll check it out and see how I feel about it
May 11, 2020 3:37 PM

Apr 2019
Lunilah said:
Hype doesn't affect me much. Sometimes i'll see what the fuss is about but it generally doesn't impact me as that's not something i would carry into a show.

Ideally you shouldn't have to carry anything going into a show. You get what it gives you.

hype got me into Tower of God, but for me it just fails to be compelling. When there's hype i think the show might be good or the cast likeable so i want to check it out.

May 11, 2020 3:38 PM
Apr 2016
No, I believe I am not such a superficial person to be affected by these.
Re:formed
May 11, 2020 3:41 PM

Jun 2016
I like to think that it doesn't but it may have subconsciously affected my opinion in certain cases. I really don't know.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 11, 2020 3:48 PM

Jul 2017
it definitely affects me more than I'd like. I'd be lying if I said I never saw a show more negatively simply due to the hype
May 11, 2020 3:49 PM

Oct 2014
2life said:
Lunilah said:

hype got me into Tower of God, but for me it just fails to be compelling. When there's hype i think the show might be good or the cast likeable so i want to check it out.
The hype for Tower of God isn't the anime itself, it's the celebration of it having an anime. From what i understand it's the most popular Webtoon in the world with over 750 chapters, the Korean One-Piece if you will. What i often see with TOG discussion is that it only having 13 episodes is disappointing, but i see it's rise in popularity as an anime as a proof of concept, so i look forward to the future to see the rest of it unfold.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
May 11, 2020 5:12 PM

Oct 2019
I'm not gunna lie, hype makes me hate a few shows. Once watching it, yes, I develop my own opinion, but generally I despise new anime because of the attention it gets.
May 11, 2020 5:18 PM
Apr 2020
Kind of, if people say "This one is good" or "You'll love this one" and then I look up a summary of the plot and think maybe. Then watching it and it's not as good as people say it can kill it for me fast. I'll still watch it most likely. But not a second time.
May 11, 2020 5:55 PM
Jan 2018
I never really hate shows because I feel that they were over hyped, or because I'm tired of hearing about them on the internet. It just lessens my enjoyment when I'm expecting something really great, and it doesn't quite deliver on the hype. That's why I try not to say something is great, and rather just say that I really like it.
May 11, 2020 6:07 PM

May 2018
Not at all. I get into anime naturally.
May 11, 2020 6:12 PM

Apr 2020
When I watch a show because it's hyped, I always end it with the sensation it's nothing all that everyone talks about. Like I am right now with Tower of God.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
May 11, 2020 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
It doesn't affect me at all, i won't criticize it more harshly because of the hype because that seems a bit childish.
May 11, 2020 6:54 PM

Jul 2019
It shouldn't but sometimes it just does. I enjoyed My Hero when it wasn't that big yet but now, I dont like it at all. The fandom and the overhyping has ruined the show for me. Of course, I'll still watch it but I'm not in a rush to finish it.
May 11, 2020 7:18 PM

Nov 2019
I am totally immune to hype, because I find the reaction of the masses predictable.

Kimi no Na Wa was ultra-hyped, and there are numerous threads proclaiming here its overrated. I saw the film myself, analysed everything and had my own feelings. Feelings I could not waste by seeing butt hurt comments by people who only waste time by arguing on trivial things like MAL ratings.

Kimetsu no Yaiba was done with great care and precision as an adaptation. Even the mangaka was heavily impressed. What I like is that this is the amount of dedication one must put up to adapt a source material. Maybe KnY has an average story, but that's not the main point here. Clearly some people are jealous that their manga did not get such a good adaptation, and their opinions do not matter to me. It's far from my favorite show, though.

ToG is the first well known webtoon to be actually translated to an anime. The webtoon starts out a bit weakly, and the anime does not have the best crew going behind it. People are hyped just because it was a great wish fulfillment for a good webtoon to get adapted. So its popularity and ratings got high. Everyone knows the anime has flaws. Pointing it out repeatedly only shows how stupid you are and all I wanna say is "No shit Sherlock, you are awesome, I really thought the show is perfect"

Shield Hero got popular partly because of the controversy. After reasonably good first 4 episodes, it becomes mediocre, and goes totally borefest in a certain arc. Manga and novel readers do admit the anime surprisingly cuts/modifies important details. Almost nobody heralds it even as a great isekai anime. But still, it got some popularity, and here comes the jealousy again. How dare it gets TWO MORE SEASONS?! It is as if these haters are paying the production team. This is hilarious...

I could go on similarly for other such anime, but the moot point is, I find it pointless to succumb to the jealousy, egoism and overall immaturity of such people, and remain unaffected by it...
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 11, 2020 7:21 PM

May 2020
I'm actually not that affected by the hype, honestly.

I've watched some popular titles, and I don't usually associate myself with the broader communities attached to them. The most current example I could point to is, of course, BNHA. I went into it without any expectations, let alone low ones, and I found it's just a good ol' Shonen anime. It's not overly spectacular to me, nor a complete disaster. It's just average, but I still enjoy it.

Just watch what you like to watch, frens. Don't let anyone get to you because they say it's shit, or it's an absolute masterpiece. It's not like they're going to reach through your screen and choke you, or something.
May 11, 2020 7:24 PM

Jan 2013
I try not to think about hype before I actually watch the anime and form my own opinion first, but if I've watched it and thought it was bad/average/just okay (so basically didn't give me reasons to hype it), and then I see people not shutting up about it for the next few months or even fucking years, then yeah I might eventually get pretty annoyed.
fuyukiMay 11, 2020 7:30 PM
May 11, 2020 7:25 PM

Apr 2015
Not really.
I have been driven to watch shows because of the hype around them, however it doesn't matter how much people swear to me rhat Mob Psycho 100 is great I still will find it average at best.
May 11, 2020 9:36 PM

Apr 2018
I only rely on hype in choosing which to watch first.

People have different tastes so even if majority like one doesn't mean I will like it. Example would be Steins Gate. A lot of people liked that..and I also heard it from hype. I didn't. Not that I hated it but it just didn't click with me.

A friend of mine recommended Mob Psycho and Haikyuu hyping it to the max. I didn't like Mob. I love Haikyuu.
"When I decided to follow my dream, I had already discarded my life.” -Roronoa Zoro
May 11, 2020 10:47 PM

Sep 2018
Not really, i go into most shows with the lowest of expectations, if you have the worst expectations possible there is not much you can get disappointed from.
A exception would be if someone with similar taste recommended it to me, but even then the expectations are only cautiously optimistic.

If something is hyped up, i go into it with the same "well thats probably the most garbage shit ive ever seen, but maybe..." mentality.
May 11, 2020 11:38 PM
Nov 2018
Some yes and others no. For shows like Demon Slayer I thought it was pretty shit from the get-go I believe the best episodes were the last 5 or 6 imo. For other shows like Shield Hero and JoJo no because I was already hyped to watch them. In Shields case I read the manga a few years before the anime came out so I was super hyped when I saw it was getting animated.
May 12, 2020 12:01 AM

Apr 2019
Lalazee said:
It doesn't affect me at all, i won't criticize it more harshly because of the hype because that seems a bit childish.

its not that i would criticize it more harshly, but it just won't feel as enjoyable as it would have been without all the attention it got.

Many people go full berzerk on the big shows like bleach, FMA or one piece only because they ARE popular. It may seem childish, but i guess it a more natural reaction to hype, just like when everyone was lined up for Avengers End Game

May 12, 2020 4:42 AM

May 2018
It effects me only a little bit, but not enough to hate a show because it didnt live up to the hype.
May 12, 2020 5:00 AM

Dec 2019
Nah not really tbh.

It’s all about my enjoyment truthfully. I don’t care about how low a rating is or how high it is let alone the popularity. I just be watchin lol...
Double cup full of purrp, you can see me leanin.
May 12, 2020 5:21 AM

Jan 2018
Not a strong factor as I try to lower my expectations as always. I wait for stuff to finish airing so if there's a storm, there shall be a rider on the storm.
May 12, 2020 5:41 AM
May 2018
Hype definitely effect me in weird way. The more hype the show is the more I find it boring. Take TOG as example. Many people keep saying to me this is show is great, awesome and many more praise. Because of that I keep comparing it with other show and make it feel less interesting to me. It has been two week since I saw TOG. Heck if Tamayomi and TOG come at the same time. I will gladly watch Tamayomi first and then TOG at the later date.
May 12, 2020 6:02 AM
Nov 2018
Hype does affect me in anime adaptation. I remember me being hype about TPN and I was like "read the manga its good" to my friends. Then after whatching the 1st ep, I feel like the hype inside me died so suddenly. Tho the ED theme was great.

But the popularity of Makoto Shinkai got me all critizing towards Tenki no Ko. During watching Tenki no Ko on cinema, the person next to me said that it's her limit while crying cuz of a (heartbreaking?) scene.

Gosh I feel like people are just hype for it cuz of the popularity Makoto Shinkai got from Your Name. Which led me conclude that Tenki no Ko was just overhype and not really well written. Which is why I wanna rewatch it and have a proper conclusion, now that the hype has lowered.

Another is ToG, people are watching this cuz of the OP/ED theme, which makes me sooooo irritated. My friend shared a post on social media that she wanna watch ToG cuz she's a fricking K-pop fan. Like what the hell is wrong with her. That is why I will kept on hating ToG until the hype has cooled down tho i'm just gonna read the manhwa since it's said to be more good than the anime with just 13 eps.
KiriRin_196May 12, 2020 6:14 AM
May 12, 2020 6:14 AM

Apr 2019
Barlaxk said:
Hype definitely effect me in weird way. The more hype the show is the more I find it boring. Take TOG as example. Many people keep saying to me this is show is great, awesome and many more praise. Because of that I keep comparing it with other show and make it feel less interesting to me. It has been two week since I saw TOG. Heck if Tamayomi and TOG come at the same time. I will gladly watch Tamayomi first and then TOG at the later date.

yeah i kinda have this problem with ToG, Demon Slayer and Shield hero. The last two are okay but because of the hype i thought they had to be waaaaay betteer

May 12, 2020 7:16 AM

Jun 2013
I go in with the expectation that it has to be kinda good if so many people like it but there are just some anime that I don't get into and I end up having lesser patience to sit through it if I don't like the start (some animes get better aft a few eps)
May 12, 2020 8:56 AM

May 2009
2life said:
So did you find yourself hating an anime because of its hype? Or are you the one who hypes it up.
Do you know shows who had to deal with hype haters?
For me I can get annoyed at excessive amounts of hype.

Though, I try not let that color my opinion of the show. Ideally, it wouldn't at all.

Demon Slayer - haven't watched this; I just know this as a recently popular flamewar subject.
Rising of the Shield Hero - haven't watched this; I just know this for people using it to make some sort of point about SJWs.
Tower of God (anime) - I knew about this from a friend who was reading the manga (manhwa?) years ago. I do know it's gotten more attention recently thanks to getting an anime adaptation.
Arifureta - I tried this myself and felt meh-to-negative about it so I dropped it.

Kaguya-sama Love is War - this show wasn't even on my radar.
Konosuba - I tried watching this and I didn't like its humor.
JoJo - The memes are somewhat excessive, and the art style isn't really my thing. But I did watch the first ep of it and thought it was pretty good.
Violet Evergarden - This looks really nice (I like it aesthetically) and might be up my alley (I expect I'll like it narratively).
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 12, 2020 9:09 AM

Apr 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:

For me I can get annoyed at excessive amounts of hype.

Though, I try not let that color my opinion of the show. Ideally, it wouldn't at all.

Demon Slayer - haven't watched this; I just know this as a recently popular flamewar subject.
Rising of the Shield Hero - haven't watched this; I just know this for people using it to make some sort of point about SJWs.
Tower of God (anime) - I knew about this from a friend who was reading the manga (manhwa?) years ago. I do know it's gotten more attention recently thanks to getting an anime adaptation.
Arifureta - I tried this myself and felt meh-to-negative about it so I dropped it.

Kaguya-sama Love is War - this show wasn't even on my radar.
Konosuba - I tried watching this and I didn't like its humor.
JoJo - The memes are somewhat excessive, and the art style isn't really my thing. But I did watch the first ep of it and thought it was pretty good.
Violet Evergarden - This looks really nice (I like it aesthetically) and might be up my alley (I expect I'll like it narratively).

oh boy you almost went straight to the wrong way until you said JoJo was good (imo). Demon Slayer, i will always repeat, is good but severely overglorified.

Also what is SJWs?

May 12, 2020 9:27 AM

May 2009
2life said:
oh boy you almost went straight to the wrong way until you said JoJo was good (imo). Demon Slayer, i will always repeat, is good but severely overglorified.

Also what is SJWs?
A lot of stuff is arguably overglorified by the people who hype it up to be the best thing ever.

But on the other hand I'd say there's a lot of interesting material even in shows I dislike or consider bad. Just because I think they're badly put together doesn't mean that they're not interesting, and I mean this both with regards to intellectual stimulation and also entertainment value.

("SJW" is an abbreviation for "social justice warrior", a typically derogatory label that supposedly refers to people who advocate for social justice issues, though in practice it's often used on the internet to refer to a wide variety of stuff ranging from real-life policy issues to opinions on entertainment, and ranging from simple and innocuous opinions to obnoxious argumentation. This is a part of recent "culture war" stuff, which you may have seen appear occasionally on this board. I think there's something in Shield Hero about a male character who was wrongfully accused of sexual misconduct, so some people saw fit to make hay of the show to make their point.)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 12, 2020 10:47 AM

Jan 2020
Its hard to not get affected by hype. Hype plays into my expectations of the shows, before going into it. If multiple people say a show is bad, I will have low expectations, likewise if multiple people say a show is really good, I will have high expectations.

These expectations can create some interesting results. FMAB was a show that got over hyped to me, and thus caused me to find it underwhelming. Mirai Nikki, was a show that was under hyped to me by my friends, which lowered my expectations going into it and caused me to really like it.

So yes, hype does affect my opinions on shows, which is why I now try to go into shows blind, not knowing whether the majority thinks it is good or bad.
May 12, 2020 10:56 AM
Discord Moderator
Feb 2014
I don't really spend much type on forums, or anything about anime and what shows the hype, so I don't really get affected by hype too much.
May 12, 2020 10:59 AM

Apr 2019
LordOfPigs said:
Its hard to not get affected by hype. Hype plays into my expectations of the shows, before going into it. If multiple people say a show is bad, I will have low expectations, likewise if multiple people say a show is really good, I will have high expectations.

These expectations can create some interesting results. FMAB was a show that got over hyped to me, and thus caused me to find it underwhelming. Mirai Nikki, was a show that was under hyped to me by my friends, which lowered my expectations going into it and caused me to really like it.

So yes, hype does affect my opinions on shows, which is why I now try to go into shows blind, not knowing whether the majority thinks it is good or bad.

yeah, same with all the (unjustified) hate towards Darling in the Franxx. It was good, and it was Trigger, people demanded it to be another anime, so weird.

Kirasaka said:
I don't really spend much type on forums, or anything about anime and what shows the hype, so I don't really get affected by hype too much.

you do spend time now on forums UwU

May 12, 2020 12:09 PM
Discord Moderator
Feb 2014
2life said:
LordOfPigs said:

yeah, same with all the (unjustified) hate towards Darling in the Franxx. It was good, and it was Trigger, people demanded it to be another anime, so weird.

Kirasaka said:

you do spend time now on forums UwU

I mean 55 posts over six years though, don't really come on much. And when I do, I normally post in casual area and not anime. :p
May 12, 2020 12:21 PM

Oct 2018
No, it doesn't affect it in any way, at all.

But I actually like seeing an anime being hyped up. I can't explain it myself why, but I like it. Like to the level where it's being talked about worldwide, like Demon Slayer.

Maybe because these times just really remind me/us how popular anime really is, and it makes me kinda happy.

More topics from this board

» Your longest record/streak ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

68 by KodomoKomodo »»
23 seconds ago

Poll: » Is the term “weeb” offensive?

kusairo - Today

30 by Leer »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 3 )

Cammell - May 8

116 by chocomayu »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » The most overrated characters that everyone loves ( 1 2 3 )

Lizz_Aleister - Dec 1, 2020

112 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
18 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions

NoelleIsSleepy - 6 hours ago

30 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.