Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 6, 2020 7:30 PM

Mar 2020
seems kinda furry, I just don't get it
May 6, 2020 7:31 PM

Dec 2019
i don't get it either tbh with you man lets hope someone does and enlighten us.
                                                         đź–¤   

May 6, 2020 7:42 PM
Jan 2019
I think its because most people like cats but really I don't know is it this cute.
“You don’t cry because your weak, you cry because you’ve been strong for too long.”
May 6, 2020 7:45 PM

Apr 2015
The fluffy ears and tails are what makes them great imo. Also, characters with animal traits tend to be cuter to me.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
May 6, 2020 7:45 PM

Apr 2017
not a furry but I think its cuz they're cute and look good on cute anime waifus :)

May 6, 2020 7:47 PM

Aug 2019
I agree, it's kind of weird. But from a psychological/narrative perspective, it makes a lot of sense why people like them.

People associate certain animal characteristics with personality traits. For example, a character with fox ears would be associated with cunning behavior and intelligence. Someone with dog ears would be associated with loyalty. Someone with cat ears would be associated with impulsiveness, extroversion, and agreeableness.

Because people have certain preconceptions of animal behavior, when applied to a human being, it makes for fast characterization. Instead of building up and supporting the fact that a character is cunning, the author can just make the character a human-fox hybrid. Kemonomari (almost always) hold narrative value, and that's why you don't see many girls with giraffe horns; nobody knows how giraffes act, and they therefore wouldn't connect "giraffe behavior" with the giraffe girl.

Additionally, of course, the "I watch anime in a straight jacket" types just want to look at whatever plunges them further into their moe stupor.
May 6, 2020 7:57 PM

Jul 2012
I mean if you've ever been on the internet you would probably recognize that most people find animals to be cute. Simply apply those characteristics or personality traits to a character and then give them an appealing design to encompass those traits and it just multiplies exponentially.
May 6, 2020 8:22 PM

Aug 2018
I like human characters that are occasionally drawn with them - not that the character was born with them or sports them 24/7 that makes them too furry-like. Having animal, specifically cat-like ears adds a cute touch imo. The difference between these and furries would be that furries tend to not just have the ears, but they often would go to the extremes of animal-ifying the entire character (or themselves, lol) from head to toe, such as changing the face/body structure etc.

Some examples that I really like:
1. In a recent Ensemble Stars event they had a few characters with cat ears

2. From what I'm currently watching, the transformation of Miketsukami from Inu x Boku SS is really cute too c: (technically non-human and non-cat ears but you get my drift)
May 6, 2020 8:45 PM

Aug 2018
It's not rocket science...

...dis shit's kawaii bruh
May 6, 2020 9:21 PM

Mar 2020
GamerDLM said:
I mean if you've ever been on the internet you would probably recognize that most people find animals to be cute. Simply apply those characteristics or personality traits to a character and then give them an appealing design to encompass those traits and it just multiplies exponentially.
epidemia78 said:
It's not rocket science...

...dis shit's kawaii bruh

are anime girls not moeblob cute enough already?
May 7, 2020 2:23 AM

Nov 2019
Well it's art. You can add anything in art, and it might be appealing to some. For example, I don't find the appeal in most of Picasso's abstract art, does that mean others don't?
Adding animal ears can indicate certain character traits of that person. Another thing (since I can't relate to 'furry' culture of the west), will you consider fables with animals as the characters to be furry culture??
I don't find animal ears cute, unless they actual complement with the the person's actual personality.
Btw, do you find horned anime characters adorable? Or fanged ones?
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 7, 2020 2:29 AM
Oct 2015
I wouldn't qualify animal ears/tail as furry. It only gets furry when you start getting fur on the characters body, either in large patches or all over.
May 7, 2020 2:32 AM
Jul 2018
I want more cat boys tbh. They are too damn cute. And hot.
May 7, 2020 2:39 AM

Jul 2019
Cuz cute is justice.And some us like fluffy things and it’s f*cking hot.

May 7, 2020 2:42 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
why do people always ask what the appeal of something is

peoples brains are wired to be attracted to different things? why don't you ask mother nature why humans are made that way
May 7, 2020 2:55 AM

Jun 2016
I like it and I think it's cute but I don't know why. Must be some type of psychological conditioning devised by the japanese mossad or something.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 7, 2020 2:55 AM

Nov 2019
In my case because I find them cuter with animal ears and tails. Animals are cute, so humans with animal traits follow the same logic.
May 7, 2020 3:00 AM

Sep 2019
Animals are cute
Animal ears and a tail attached to a cute anime girl is even more cute
But all that furry stuff? Not for me
May 7, 2020 3:02 AM

Sep 2009
Most probably fanservice for those furry fans...
May 7, 2020 3:30 AM

Jan 2018
not a strong factor for me, I mean I like if it's comedy but animal characteristic is not a priority for me, it is there to complement the show. I feel like it doesn't matter anymore, they won't even animate light novel version of Holo.
May 7, 2020 3:48 AM

Jun 2019
I didn't know that kemonomimi was until I looked it up. It's only ears and tails, like the Nekopara girls.

Personally I can't get enough cat girls, like Coconut from Nekopara, Holo from Spice & Wolf or Raphtalia from Rising of the Shield Hero. Forgot about the fox girls from Azur Lane, Akagi & Kaga, they are supremely hot. But actual furry's (with fur covering the whole body), that's a no go for me.

I find the addition of the cat ears and tail makes them extra appealing, don't know why, it just does. I've ordered a cat ears headband for my missus to wear, can't wait!
23feanorMay 7, 2020 3:59 AM
May 7, 2020 5:38 AM
Nov 2018
maybe to attract neckbeards to buy them body pillow?
May 7, 2020 5:46 AM

Apr 2020
BladeVengeance said:
seems kinda furry, I just don't get it

As a furry, I resent that statement. Having said that, I do enjoy kemonomimi but for different appeal. Animal ears add some flair to the hair region. I love me some unique hairstyles.

But seriously, furries don't want that stuff.
May 7, 2020 5:59 AM

Aug 2018
Because generally the ears come with a pair of big jugs or some cute loli, the ears probably don't change that much
May 7, 2020 8:11 AM

Mar 2017
Many kemonomimi characters have the "four ears" problem. Does it make sense for them to have both a pair of animal ears higher on the head and a pair of human ears in the usual place? I can think of at least one anime where the catgirl characters have both cat ears and human ears. A common way to sidestep this problem is for the kemonomimi character to have enough hair to hide where the human ears would normally be, so that they neither have four visible ears nor are visibly missing human ears, which viewers may find odd and discomforting. That girls are far more likely to have long enough hair to pull this off may be one reason kemonomimi girls are more common than kemonomimi boys.
A møøse once bit my sister...

More topics from this board

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 3 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

107 by camay1997 »»
3 minutes ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre? ( 1 2 )

decco6226 - May 2

62 by SuperAdventure »»
4 minutes ago

» Why do some people watch anime in 1.5x or 2x speed?

Rinrinka - 45 minutes ago

5 by rho34 »»
9 minutes ago

» What are the modern beginner-friendly Anime for each genre?

Dragevard - 30 minutes ago

3 by MogKnight »»
11 minutes ago

» Does seinen anime focus on other things besides ultra manliness?

fallout45 - 9 hours ago

33 by DigiCat »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.