Forum Settings
Forums

What good anime do you think is criminally underwatched?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 9, 2020 11:00 AM

Oct 2017
golden kamuy has 71K completed, which is pretty good, but i wish more people watched it. i think the production issues and poor cg scared a lot of viewers off.
May 9, 2020 11:00 AM

Dec 2017
Fushigi Yuugi
Mo Dao Zu Shi
Versailes no Bara
Banana Fish
Golden Kamuy
xxxHOLiC
Kono Oto Tomare!
Juuni Kokuki
carolina-yaMay 9, 2020 11:06 AM
May 9, 2020 11:03 AM

Dec 2015
Mouryou no Hako also seems to be pretty underrated. I prefer the manga version, but the anime is beautifully animated by Madhouse and the character designs are done by CLAMP. It's a very good mystery series based off of a novel by one of Japan's most famous mystery writers.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
May 9, 2020 11:07 AM

Apr 2020
xkazutox said:
Kid anime like conan, doremon, digimon, yugioh, vanguard, etcs

Kid anime is the best answer once you look at the member views

I just had flash of nostalgia when reading Doraemon and Digimono. Thing is, it's clear to see that the anime community is less focused on celebrating the classics but always looking for the next best things, specially because animation as come so far.
It's funny because it's the complete opposite of cinephile stereotype.
May 9, 2020 11:09 AM

Sep 2014
When will people stop mentioning 3-gatsu no Lion? This thing is seriously not underwatched.
May 9, 2020 11:11 AM

Jul 2011
As someone who likes to watch a lot of obscure anime, I can list several.

I'll go with the movie Barefoot Gen. Like Grave of the Fireflies, it also depicts the brutality of war and the grisly effects nuclear bombing has on a population. Go watch it.
Check out my anime reviews or my pet will get you: Mezase Pokémon Master
May 9, 2020 11:16 AM
May 2019
- Pet
- Versailes no Bara
- Record of Lodoss War
- Macross
- Tenkuu no Escaflowne
May 9, 2020 11:33 AM

Oct 2019
Gankutsuou,Ergo proxy,Gunbuster,Nana, Beastars, Legend of the black heaven,5 centimeters per second,jin-rou,kaiji:the ultimate survivor,rose of Versailles and many more...and most if them are not even herd of and even if heard only remains in the plan to watch list and collects dust.

May 9, 2020 11:37 AM

Aug 2018
Kemono no Souja Erin

I guess the childish aesthetic has something to do with it's relatively low numbers but it's one of the best shows I've seen yet. It even manages to wrap up all the loose ends in it's 50 episode runtime unlike many anime that are incomplete adaptations.
May 9, 2020 11:41 AM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
Mahoujin Guruguru is probably the funniest anime that I watched. Not a lot of people have seen it, probably because its art-style is that of a childish anime. One thing's for sure, it's severely underwatched.
May 9, 2020 11:49 AM
Nov 2008
Deduleadaa said:
Evildoer said:
If I were to go by how unknown it is in general, I'll say Mugen no Ryvius maybe. I feel like other lesser watched stuff at least has a cult following, but this one is never talked about and was completely overshadowed by Evangelion at the time, which it was somewhat similar to. Zettai Shounen is another fitting pick.

I don't see how Ryvius would have been overshadowed by Eva, they aired 4 years apart and are vastly different.

Eva cast a long shadow after it came out. There were a ton of Eva-clones, and even with relatively little follow-up media the original Evangelion swallowed up a lot of attention that could have otherwise pushed other shows up to being a true classic.

That said, I second Ryvius, and need to finish watching it. I was just thinking about it the other day, actually! I started it probably in 2001 and dropped it when I moved to college. I remember it being very engrossing.
May 9, 2020 12:05 PM
Nov 2008
Nefelupitou said:
Chiibi said:

Honestly I tried it...but find the visual style rather disorienting. @_@ I've heard others say the same and that's why a lot of people haven't finished it or watched it. I couldn't get deeply invested in the characters either though.

I found the visuals different, but it was love at first sight. It looked like a painting or something else.
In my opinion, the Count is an amazing character and the way he leads the plot is smart and also interesting, but sure it's my opinion.
I can understand your point.

Non-cookie-cutter character design and visuals are a great way for studios and animators to signal to potential viewers that a show has a lot more thought put into plot/characters/whatever than the run-of-the-mill generic stuff.

This is not to say that typically designed anime can't be good (For example: Nadesico or Future Diary), nor that atypical designs always correlate with interesting anime (ie Shadowstar Narutaru, texhnolyze).

However, typically when I see character designs of visuals that I don't particularly care for (ie: Eizouken, Akagi) it turns out to be a really enjoyable anime!
May 9, 2020 12:09 PM

Nov 2008
KMSpico said:
sarazanmai. I want more people watch it.

NO. Lol my anime club couldn't make it all the way through episode 01. It was too f*cking weird.

Never liked Ikuhara much to start with...but I haven't tried Penguindrum yet. Hopefully there is less focus on kappa children's asses...but I won't hold my breath.

May 9, 2020 12:14 PM
Nov 2008
I'm doing a rewatch of Haibane Renmei right now, and I encourage everyone else to do the same!
May 9, 2020 12:16 PM

Feb 2013
Deduleadaa said:
Evildoer said:
If I were to go by how unknown it is in general, I'll say Mugen no Ryvius maybe. I feel like other lesser watched stuff at least has a cult following, but this one is never talked about and was completely overshadowed by Evangelion at the time, which it was somewhat similar to. Zettai Shounen is another fitting pick.

I don't see how Ryvius would have been overshadowed by Eva, they aired 4 years apart and are vastly different.
Just repeating what I heard in one of the bonus behind the scenes in the Ryvius DVD collection years ago. I remembered they came out around the same time, so I didn't really question it. Probably meant as not leaving a longer-lasting impression in general like Evangelion did instead of just airing popularity. For some reason that quote stuck with me. They're vastly different other than the whole psychological teenager aspects with mecha.
EvildoerMay 9, 2020 12:40 PM
May 9, 2020 12:21 PM

Apr 2013
Hidamari no Ki and Heybot, they have barely around 300 completed and are respectively one of the best realistic samurai story and the best comedy I've encountered so far.
May 9, 2020 12:22 PM
Dec 2018
Saiki K, but I feel like it’s actually getting some recognition recently.
May 9, 2020 12:22 PM

Aug 2019
Chiibi said:
KMSpico said:
sarazanmai. I want more people watch it.

NO. Lol my anime club couldn't make it all the way through episode 01. It was too f*cking weird.

Never liked Ikuhara much to start with...but I haven't tried Penguindrum yet. Hopefully there is less focus on kappa children's asses...but I won't hold my breath.
i know it from very beginning :v. Its not a series everyone can enjoy. Also want to make confession. I watch sarazanmai and drop it on first episode when its airing XD. Looks like tide has change. Penguindrum is the most normal anime ikuhara ever created.
May 9, 2020 5:57 PM

Jun 2019
Hyouge Mono
Kodomo no Jikan
Digimon Tamers
Gallery Fake
Hakumei to Mikochi
Houkago Saikoro Club
Subete ga F ni Naru
Zipang
Fune wo Amu
Aishiteruze Baby
Beatless
Eve no Jikan
May 9, 2020 6:12 PM

May 2018
Saki
Juuni Kokuki
Ghost Hunt
Mo Dao Zu Shi
May 9, 2020 6:53 PM
Jan 2013
Definitely Twelve Kingdoms (Juuni Kokuki), it's pretty old now, so the image quality must scare some people off, but the story is soooo beautiful and interesting!
May 9, 2020 6:54 PM
Sep 2016
AnimeComatose said:
Well, two of my favorite anime come to mind:

Kaiba and Katanagatari. I feel like Kaiba is a 'love it, or hate it' type of anime- the abstract art style seems to be what prevents most people from really enjoying the show. It's a shame, because Kaiba is such a good anime! Very enthralling, the story is just as captivating as the characters.

Katanagatari is also very underappreciated, in my opinion- no one seems to talk about it. The way the story ramps up is absolutely legendary, in my opinion. For the most part, it's just a fun Shonen anime to watch, but it just gets so much better the more you watch it! It's worth the ride, 100%.

But, yeah- these two are criminally underrated, in my opinion.

I wouldn't say katanagatari is a shonen at all but i agree with both animes
especially kaiba
May 9, 2020 7:00 PM

Oct 2018
Re:Creators. Amazon is the only place where you can watch it legally. I am not a content creator but I imagine that those who are would find the appeal of ideas and fictional characters being brought to life. Just 1 season, in and out. Underappreciated.
ThousandCutsMay 9, 2020 7:04 PM

May 9, 2020 7:08 PM

May 2020
DropDeadTaste said:
I wouldn't say katanagatari is a shonen at all but i agree with both animes
especially kaiba

Well, I guess you got me there, fren. But, regardless, I appreciate that you agree! They're both fantastic anime, and they really do deserve more attention.

I'm especially a fan of some of Kaiba's side characters from the earlier episodes. Chroniko, Patch, the old woman and her sons- those hit me the hardest, personally. Gah, it's such an underrated anime!
May 9, 2020 7:28 PM

May 2019

I remember watching that one when it was a seasonal, does that thing have an end? They made a mess in the production and delayed it or some shit like that, mediocre at best.

May 9, 2020 7:31 PM

May 2020
Tokyo ghoul re and tokyo ghoul re second season
RATE MY ELITE ANIME TASTE
May 9, 2020 7:48 PM

Jun 2019
RazorWireSodomy said:
I remember watching that one when it was a seasonal, does that thing have an end? They made a mess in the production and delayed it or some shit like that, mediocre at best.

Yes, it has an end they released at a later point in 2018 by the name of Beatless Final Stage, consisting of four episodes which end the series rather conclusively. The issue of the first run of episodes not having that ending attached as well as the multiple recap/flashback episodes during the main series are probably because they were behind on the production schedule. While unfortunate, fortunately it doesn't affect anyone now or anyone who watched it any point since it's finished airing. One can just skip the recap episodes and watch the main listed series excluding them and the four episode finale in that order.

May 9, 2020 7:52 PM
Sep 2018
Qashi-Dema said:
3D anime like Beastars and Ajin
also Parasyte the maxim
Parasyte is so good, I’ve saved so many quotes from this anime
May 9, 2020 7:57 PM

Jan 2016
Hakumei to Mikochi. No, I don't think it's like "everyone needs to see this" but for an iyashikei this good, it's criminal that not even 50,000 people on MAL have seen it. And I'd say in terms of quality it's comparable to series like Flying Witch or even Non Non Biyori yet both of those have well over 100,000 views according to MAL.

Greatest ever? No. But it deserves more views by fans of the genre
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
May 9, 2020 8:41 PM

Jan 2020
1988 Legend of Galactic Heroes . Compare the popularity rate vs the score it was too damn far
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
May 9, 2020 8:47 PM

Jan 2019
Banana Fish is one of my favorite anime, but don’t think many people in America know of it. Cross Game was pretty good too, but sports anime generally aren’t popular in America.
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
May 9, 2020 8:53 PM

Dec 2018
Texhnolyze for a show and Jin-Rou for a movie
May 9, 2020 9:07 PM

Nov 2016
Princess sara, space cobra, or actually I guess we could pretty much put anything good pre 2000s that isn't a ghibli, a big name shounen or eva/bebop. Outside of those houseki no kuni and rakugo as well.

beecorrea said:
Qashi-Dema said:
3D anime like Beastars and Ajin
also Parasyte the maxim
Parasyte is so good, I’ve saved so many quotes from this anime

Parasyte almost got a million members here on mal and is also in the top 50 most popular animes over things like konosuba, demon slayer and a season of MHA, I'll say it's doing fairly well.
JoyBoy_316May 9, 2020 9:14 PM
May 9, 2020 9:44 PM

Jul 2019
Little Busters.
This show got only 78k people, that's insultingly low
Pain desu

May 9, 2020 9:46 PM
May 2016
Princess Nine. it did kind of drop the ball in the second half, but the first 14 episodes were pretty solid, and even if the second half had a LOT of problems, it did have some good stuff in it
May 11, 2020 2:29 PM

Aug 2019
Neo Human Casshern (1973). Casshern Sins, which gets more attention nowadays, is nothing like it.
May 11, 2020 2:32 PM
May 2014
Definitely Mononoke. Gankutsuou and Bartender also comes to mind.
May 11, 2020 9:37 PM

Mar 2012
Anime that aren't modern and weren't on Toonami generally get the shaft. Occasionally, an anime like LOGH breaks through out of sheer praise but most end up just being appreciated by older fans.

Another issue is that old school anime fans are generally harsher reviewers, thus the ratings of these classics are lower relative to their quality while the new stuff stands out on the top anime lists.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» the worst anime season

Autonomia - 3 hours ago

10 by BitChilly »»
17 seconds ago

» which anime character resonates with you the most? to be specific, who's your "literally me" anime character?

FruitPunchBaka - 2 hours ago

13 by Mishiia »»
2 minutes ago

» Check-in for the Spring 2024 season (for those watching a bunch of seasonals)

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

28 by deg »»
11 minutes ago

» Spoiled by the algorithm

zaako - 2 hours ago

6 by SilentVinyl »»
11 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ?

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

43 by deg »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.