Forum Settings
Forums

How do you define an anime elistist? Is it a real thing?

New
Apr 11, 2020 5:07 PM

Oct 2017
I came across an account on this site that many would describe as owned by an elitist. Many, many popular shows rated 1, average rating around 4/10, and all of their favorite shows were quite aged. They have watched a lot of anime, and written lengthy comments and reviews on them.

I'm fine with that in general, but the person made the point on their account that they were "not an elitist" because everyone has their own criteria for anime and judges it their own way. But at the same time, I also saw this person describe "1" score shows with "It's unfathomable to think someone likes this unironically." followed with saying these shows are complete shit. This person also deletes disagreeing comments from their profile page, so much so its filled with admiration over their harsh reviews and low scores.

So, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. We all have shows we don't like and like based on many different things, so do elitists actually exist? Or is someone who takes anime this seriously and describes anime like this an elitist? Or is it something else altogether? Let me know
AmazincApr 11, 2020 5:31 PM
Hey there! If you'd like to talk about anime or anything else feel free to drop a comment on my page or DM me. I'd be glad to have a conversation and make some new friends :)
My list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Amazinc?status=7&order=4&order2=0

Apr 11, 2020 5:14 PM

Aug 2018
people who ONLY like big brained, 2deep4u anime - weird artsy stuff with impenetrable symbolism and philosophical themes
Apr 11, 2020 5:16 PM

Jun 2012
I think having a critical opinion on a popular or new show is separate from being elitist. It's just like calling a show "quite aged" because it comes from another century; I don't think Anime from the 80s feel aged at all. In fact the bubble economy of that era ensured that a lot more resources pooled into those shows than most of the stuff we're getting now.

I guess elitist would be more about the "it's unfathomable to think someone likes this unironically" notion with the added condition of gatekeeping against any spirited discussion with the people that indeed do like the show in question. If someone's willing to level with you and discuss their criticism etc., even if they hate your favourite Anime, that can hardly be considered elitist. Just the word elitist suggests putting on an airs and distancing yourself from these communities, like if you're going to huddle away in a club like this: https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=35120.
OchimushaApr 11, 2020 5:23 PM
Apr 11, 2020 5:26 PM

Mar 2020
This topic has already been covered to death, everyone should know what an “Elitist” is. And no it’s not just liking “deep smart” shows and having a low mean score.
Apr 11, 2020 5:28 PM

Oct 2017
AtmosphericEntry said:
I think having a critical opinion on a popular or new show is separate from being elitist. It's just like calling a show "quite aged" because it comes from another century; I don't think Anime from the 80s feel aged at all. In fact the bubble economy of that era ensured that a lot more resources pooled into those shows than most of the stuff we're getting now.

I guess elitist would be more about the "it's unfathomable to think someone likes this unironically" notion with the added condition of gatekeeping against any spirited discussion with the people that indeed do like the show in question. If someone's willing to level with you and discuss their criticism etc., even if they hate your favourite Anime, that can hardly be considered elitist. Just the word elitist suggests putting on an airs and distancing yourself from these communities, like if you're going to huddle away in a club like this: https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=35120.

Unless you're on the forums, discussion on MAL is pretty tough. This person does delete any disagreeing comments on their page though, lol.
Hey there! If you'd like to talk about anime or anything else feel free to drop a comment on my page or DM me. I'd be glad to have a conversation and make some new friends :)
My list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Amazinc?status=7&order=4&order2=0

Apr 11, 2020 5:28 PM

May 2013
Basically people who think it is cool to not enjoy things.

I mean my mean scores are low but I have hella fun with garbage and objective quality isn't the only way to determine enjoyability.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Apr 11, 2020 5:29 PM

Nov 2016
Post the profile, it's lynching time.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 11, 2020 5:42 PM
Jul 2018
Not this thread again! Welp I always complain about this thread popping up, I'll try posting in earnest for once. Maybe that will break the time loop and rid us of the curse of this thread.

The definition of elitism takes you to the realm of politics. It says an elitist is one who believes that a state should be governed by only a select few "worthy" people. Same goes for elitism in education; it's the belief that higher education should be pursued by only a certain segment of society with higher resources or skills.

When you extrapolate this definition to media and entertainment, you get someone who believes that a particular media should only be consumed by a select few and not the general masses. Music elitists will be people like those who believe bands shouldn't go mainstream.

Now if I apply this to anime I get a person who believes anime should only be consumed by a select group of people with higher tastes, those who found it years ago maybe, and shouldn't go mainstream to be consumed by "normies". If you're an anime elitist you want anime to stay niche. It seems to have nothing to do with liking certain anime or giving low scores or harsh criticism.

I don't know how the current idea of claiming that anyone with a low score is an elitist came from. Maybe it's one of those words that has lost its original meaning and evolved into something else altogether. But that would be a shame considering that we now use it as an insult to discredit some people's tastes.
Apr 11, 2020 5:46 PM

Feb 2020
Amazinc said:
I came across an account on this site that many would describe as owned by an elitist. Many, many popular shows rated 1, average rating around 4/10, and all of their favorite shows were quite aged. They have watched a lot of anime, and written lengthy comments and reviews on them.

I'm fine with that in general, but the person made the point on their account that they were "not an elitist" because everyone has their own criteria for anime and judges it their own way. But at the same time, I also saw this person describe "1" score shows with "It's unfathomable to think someone likes this unironically." followed with saying these shows are complete shit. This person also deletes disagreeing comments from their profile page, so much so its filled with admiration over their harsh reviews and low scores.

So, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. We all have shows we don't like and like based on many different things, so do elitists actually exist? Or is someone who takes anime this seriously and describes anime like this an elitist? Or is it something else altogether? Let me know

Honestly, I agree with this. But, in my opinion, it's important for everyone to remember that elitists are inevitable and they *can* be assholes, but since we can't stop them - might as well ignore.
Apr 11, 2020 5:47 PM

Jan 2015
It doesn't matter what's their average rating is, or which anime they rated high, it doesn't have any correlation with what anime they watch, what make them an "elitist" is their behavior towards other, if they mock other people for their taste in anime, then they're those elitist, but other than that, it doesn't earn them those elitist term imo.

...whether it's now or ten years from now, if you are going to evolve as a person, generally you need to be broken down first. -Ayanokōji Kiyotaka-

Apr 11, 2020 5:57 PM

Aug 2019
The true elitists don't have MAL profiles.
Apr 11, 2020 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
No such thing as anime elitism, only autism
Apr 11, 2020 10:21 PM
Mar 2020
I don't think I'll ever come close to watching shows like Full Metal or Steins gate. In my opinion, I think they are boring. I may even try to watch it, hate it, and leave a scathing review. That doesn't make me an elitist.

But the moment I start telling other people that they shouldn't like that show, that would be where I'm an elitist. That's how I personally define it.

This guy can hate and critique whatever he wants as long as it's his page, so I honestly don't have a problem with him deleting disagreeing comments, even though I personally think that's stupid.

Apr 11, 2020 10:21 PM

Apr 2010
Didn't we have a post like this a week ago?
Apr 11, 2020 11:35 PM

Jun 2016
Yes it is a real thing but honestly I just don't give a shit anymore. We get way too many threads abou that.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 11, 2020 11:38 PM
Aug 2014
4 isn't even that low of a mean score.
Apr 11, 2020 11:41 PM

Oct 2017
Elitism is just putting oneself above others. Criticizing and looking down on people for being "elitists" is, funnily enough, an elitist mentality.
Apr 11, 2020 11:43 PM

Aug 2019
Brinxen said:
I don't think I'll ever come close to watching shows like Full Metal or Steins gate. In my opinion, I think they are boring. I may even try to watch it, hate it, and leave a scathing review. That doesn't make me an elitist.

But the moment I start telling other people that they shouldn't like that show, that would be where I'm an elitist. That's how I personally define it.

This guy can hate and critique whatever he wants as long as it's his page, so I honestly don't have a problem with him deleting disagreeing comments, even though I personally think that's stupid.

you didnt watch it but you think they're boring?
Apr 11, 2020 11:59 PM

May 2015
Is elitism still such a big thing? There is not a day when I don't see a thread complaining about them. I am pretty sure that there are more threads like this than actual elitists, whatever they are.
IshitatesoApr 12, 2020 12:10 AM
Apr 12, 2020 12:04 AM

Jan 2019
I just feel like this person is gatekeeping and kinda being a dick about it. so yeah I think this would be a case of an elitist
Apr 12, 2020 12:10 AM
Mar 2020
actuallyaadhi said:
Brinxen said:

Do you not have that? Where you just look at a show and feel like you might not find it interesting?

The show might even be interesting, but I just feel like it might be boring and end up not watching it.

It's not a great habit to have, but I tend to do it a lot.
Apr 12, 2020 12:15 AM

Aug 2019
Brinxen said:
actuallyaadhi said:

Do you not have that? Where you just look at a show and feel like you might not find it interesting?

The show might even be interesting, but I just feel like it might be boring and end up not watching it.

It's not a great habit to have, but I tend to do it a lot.
no harm in watching 3 episodes before deciding to not watch tho
Apr 15, 2020 2:38 PM
Jan 2018
It doesn't matter what they watch. If they look down on you for not watching it, or look down on you for what your watching, regardless of whether or not public opinion is behind them, they're elitist.
Apr 15, 2020 2:52 PM

Mar 2019
People that shit on shows that are supposed to be entertaining because they don't have any "philosophical message" or some of that bs.
Overall, just people that look too deep for some sort of message behind everything, usually resulting in average score below 3/10.
TL;DR: Annoying people who look too far into everything and need to learn the definition of entertainment.
Apr 15, 2020 2:59 PM

Aug 2018
Shenaniganarama said:
It doesn't matter what they watch. If they look down on you for not watching it, or look down on you for what your watching, regardless of whether or not public opinion is behind them, they're elitist.

yeah but it just so happens that 99% of the time, the people who have that condescending attitude watch exactly the sort of anime you would expect from an anime elitist. Never has anyone with Shield Hero in their favorites come at me telling me my taste is shit. It's only ever the Cowboy Bebop/EVA/Serial Experiments Lain dudes who do that.
Apr 15, 2020 3:08 PM
Jan 2018
epidemia78 said:
Shenaniganarama said:

yeah but it just so happens that 99% of the time, the people who have that condescending attitude watch exactly the sort of anime you would expect from an anime elitist. Never has anyone with Shield Hero in their favorites come at me telling me my taste is shit. It's only ever the Cowboy Bebop/EVA/Serial Experiments Lain dudes who do that.

I don't think your wrong at all about that, but the attitude is what makes someone elitist, not what they watch. That being said, your "99%" is still largely correct.

More topics from this board

Poll: » anime is trash and so am i

deg - 2 hours ago

21 by animegamer245 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - Apr 26

46 by Eleben »»
4 minutes ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre? ( 1 2 )

decco6226 - Yesterday

54 by Memore »»
6 minutes ago

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you?

new_Ango - Yesterday

40 by BitChilly »»
9 minutes ago

» What is the best character of Takehito Koyasu?

Jonas-K - Sep 2, 2023

24 by Zarutaku »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.