Forum Settings
Forums

What's an anime you like from a genre you dislike?

New
Apr 6, 2020 2:24 PM
Jun 2017
I don't like a lot of genres (like a lot), but Mecha is probably my least favorite. Despite this, I enjoyed my time with Code Geass, even if it contains more than one genre I dislike (military, Sci-Fi, school). The only reason I gave it a chance in the first place is because I wanted more like Death Note after I reluctantly finished it, and when asked, a lot of people referred me to Code Geass, as well as Psycho Pass, and Guilty Crown. I didn't watch the last two though for some reason; don't even have them on my PTW. I haven't watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann yet though, so who knows? Code Geass might get passed up.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 6, 2020 2:34 PM
Apr 6, 2020 7:57 PM

May 2019
M.E.C.H.A , but for some reason i loved Code Geass, maybe was Lelouch or C.C that kept me fixated on the screen most of the time.

Apr 6, 2020 8:02 PM

May 2019
Blaziken_Kaneki said:
I don't like a lot of genres (like a lot), but Mecha is probably my least favorite. Despite this, I enjoyed my time with Code Geass, even if it contains more than one genre I dislike (military, Sci-Fi, school). The only reason I gave it a chance in the first place is because I wanted more like Death Note after I reluctantly finished it, and when asked, a lot of people referred me to Code Geass, as well as Psycho Pass, and Guilty Crown. I didn't watch the last two though for some reason; don't even have them on my PTW. I haven't watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann yet though, so who knows? Code Geass might get passed up.

Idk about Psycho Pass but i wouldn't expect too much of Guilty Crown, not bad tho, but it's not on the level of DN and CG.

Apr 6, 2020 8:09 PM

Oct 2013
Sports - Keijo/any sports anime that's also ecchi, Levius, Megalobox, Redline
Slice of Life - 3-gatsu no Lion
Apr 7, 2020 12:37 AM

Jun 2019
I dislike Mecha anime but I loved Code Geass for its plot/characters/action...
Apr 7, 2020 12:46 AM

Jun 2019
Ecchi - Kodomo no Jikan and No Game No Life

Harem - Onegai Twins

Hentai - Kodomo no Jikan OVA

Sports - Ping Pong the Animation and Hanebado

Comedy - Haruhi (even if it's a lot of other things - it's probably my highest ranked series with a genuine portion of comedy actually in it and not just very minor sporadic comic relief since MAL tends to use the Comedy tag too liberally for half the series in the database)
WatchTillTandavaApr 7, 2020 12:49 AM
Apr 7, 2020 12:51 AM

Mar 2012
I despise BL because of all the glorified rape-culture but I liked Spirit Pack, Given was good too. I also liked Uraboku but I had watched it back in 2012 so can't say if I would still like it now.

I find sports to be incredibly boring but I loved Tsurune. I also used to like Dear Boys, Big Windup and Ginban Kaleidoscope in the past, but that was from so long ago that I'm not sure if I'd still enjoy them if I re-watch.

The combination of action + shounen tends to get quite annoying but Shingeki no Kyoujin was good.
Apr 7, 2020 1:01 AM

Mar 2015
Slice of Life might be zzz but Tsuritama is life.
Apr 7, 2020 1:25 AM

Aug 2018
Shounen, im getting tired watchin this genre same bland mc most of the times but my most like anime in this genre is
Hunter x Hunter
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Apr 7, 2020 1:29 AM
Jul 2018
Not a mecha fan but I loved what I saw of Big O. It's just that stylish.

Not too big into battle shounen but Hunter x Hunter just... Does all the battle shounen tropes but does them really, really well.

removed-userApr 7, 2020 1:35 AM
Apr 7, 2020 1:30 AM
πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Jan 2020
I don't like Mecha - giant robots fighting just isn't my thing at all...but I LOVED Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I'm not usually a fan of ecchi but I really enjoyed both No Game No Life and Ishuzoku Reviewers. Although, in NGNL any panty shots of the 11 year old did gross me out.

I don't really like shounen and yet my favourite anime of all time is Inuyasha - that said, it doesn't really feel like a shounen to me.

There are still some genres that I am yet to watch a single show of: mafia, horror, cars, yuri, police, vampire.

πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ . ι˜Ώθ‰―γ€…ζœ¨ 暦, ε‚· 物 θͺž . πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Apr 7, 2020 1:33 AM

Jan 2017
Like a lot of people have said, I don’t really like mecha in general (I’ve been really trying though lol) but Evangelion was pretty good and I loved Promare. I guess mechas are just hit or miss for me, but I’ve been trying.

Also, most of the BL adapted to anime is horrendous so I guess you could count that (even tho I like BL manga). Some of the few BL anime I liked were Love Stage and Doukyuusei but I can’t stand 98% of them.
Apr 7, 2020 1:45 AM

Jun 2019
horridhendy said:
I don't really like shounen and yet my favourite anime of all time is Inuyasha - that said, it doesn't really feel like a shounen to me.

While technically a Shounen just because the original manga is Shounen by virtue of the fact that it ran in a Shounen publication, in spirit if anything it's more a Shounen + Shoujo hybrid/Frankenstein's monster. Takahashi injected Shoujo into Shounen or the other way around and that duality is felt for the entire series. That's why it seems to defy classification despite what its official one is.
Apr 7, 2020 1:55 AM
Dec 2019
I don't watch a lot of sport anime, but Free! and Haikyuu! was pretty enjoyable for me.
Apr 7, 2020 2:01 AM

Dec 2017
Midori no Hibi. It wasn't enough to make me venture further into the world of ecchi. It's enough having do deal with fanservice from time to time
Apr 7, 2020 2:07 AM
Jul 2018
Harem - Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei. Because a) it has real sibling incest; b) MC is hot and perfect in every way (also is the best onii-chan); c) the story is really enjoyable.

Ecchi - Ikkitousen. Because a) girls look mature; b) I have nice childhood memories of it.
Apr 7, 2020 2:07 AM
πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Jan 2020
WatchTillTandava said:
horridhendy said:

While technically a Shounen just because the original manga is Shounen by virtue of the fact that it ran in a Shounen publication, in spirit if anything it's more a Shounen + Shoujo hybrid/Frankenstein's monster. Takahashi injected Shoujo into Shounen or the other way around and that duality is felt for the entire series. That's why it seems to defy classification despite what its official one is.

Yeah. I think that's one reason that makes it so great - it really is the perfect blend of the two. In fact, it has so many different elements in it. I'm not sure I've seen anything else on MAL with more tags that Inuyasha (it has 10 tags, yet the movies have 11 tags - weird). I'm sure there are other shows that have more but 10/11 is a lot.

πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ . ι˜Ώθ‰―γ€…ζœ¨ 暦, ε‚· 物 θͺž . πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Apr 7, 2020 2:20 AM
Jul 2018
I'm not a fan of horror, but I love Higurashi

I'm not a fan of ecchi, but I love Kill la Kill

I'm not a fan of harem, but I love Ouran High School Host Club and The World God Only Knows

Sports anime also don't interest me, but Yuri on Ice seems to be good.
removed-userApr 7, 2020 2:23 AM
Apr 7, 2020 2:32 AM

Jan 2020
March comes in like a lion in a "slice of life" category. I don't know if it's accurate though. Sorry if it's not.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of anime "slice of life" because, for me, they don't really go anywhere most of the time and they can't escape some annoying cliches.

But that anime, I liked it. I don't know why.
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Apr 7, 2020 2:42 AM

Oct 2017
I'm not enjoying mecha but Code geass is a classic of its kind. Isekai is a quit cancer for few years ago, Log horizon and Drifters are good show.
Apr 7, 2020 6:24 AM

Oct 2008
Parody - I hate it with a burning passion, but:

Outbreak Company (entertainment)
Genshiken (better than Shirobako)
Isekai Quartet

Music - Not a genre that's left a strong, or even a lasting impression, just unimpressive in general, but:

White album 2 (for the romance)
Hibike Euphonium (for the characters)
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Game - In the 2010s this genre has been getting better, not by much but:

3-gatsu no Lion
Chihayafuru
And some Isekai
Apr 7, 2020 6:31 AM
Apr 2020
I quite hate harem for the reason that they just have 5 girls and you know then there is war between the Fandom just one female love interest is fine but some animes have harem and they are fine I also don't like me ha but code geass and some of the animes were really good
Apr 7, 2020 11:27 PM

Nov 2012
I stay away from isekai, but I absolutely love love love No Game No Life.

Apr 7, 2020 11:37 PM

Mar 2019
Shounen: Attack on Titan

Mecha: Code Geass

Romance: Kaguya-sama
Apr 7, 2020 11:39 PM

Oct 2018
Not a genre, but I really dislike CGI, but really liked houseki no kuni.
youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
Apr 7, 2020 11:45 PM
Jan 2012
Not technically a genre, but I'm not a very big fan of CGDCT anime. Despite that I still enjoyed K-On and Girls und Panzer.

I also enjoyed Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, even though I hate Shoujo romance quite a bit.
Apr 7, 2020 11:52 PM

May 2016
Can't really say I dislike any genre..........

Well.. there is an exception: shounen ai. I do not like boy love/yaoi and I prefer not to watch it. The one thing I watched that is tagged shounen ai is a weird short that I had no idea what it was supposed to be about even after watching it. And that stupid short is the cause of misery for me now, as I'm now forced to watch something from. The shounen ai genre for the anime watching challenge.....

So now I'll be watching Fake at some point. I can already foresee 60 minutes of cringe-inducing torture..
If you disagree with any thoughts or opinions expressed in the above post, you're wrong and I hate you forever!
Apr 8, 2020 12:07 AM

Feb 2018
I don't like military really but Youjo Senki was bomb af

Apr 8, 2020 9:33 AM

Feb 2020
I'm really not fond of shoujos, but I love Akatsuki No Yona. I also don't usually like Cute Girls Doing Cute Things, but I enjoyed almost every episode of Yuru Camp.
Apr 8, 2020 10:16 AM

May 2009
I watch a rather wide but random selection so I pick up a lot of these.

Here are some genres I typically am not hugely interested in (though my opinion on them ranges from dislike to indifference), followed by shows that I know for those genre elements but which I also enjoyed.

harem and ecchi - Asterisk War, Absolute Duo, Akashic Records, Vanadis

isekai - Problem Children, Magic Knight Rayearth

romance - Eureka Seven, Nodame Cantabile, Beyond the Boundary, A Silent Voice

comedy - Gabriel DropOut, Rocket Girls, Moyashimon, Haruhi

sports - Pokémon, Four Rhythm

CGDCT - Gabriel DropOut

magical girls - Nanoha, YuYuYu, Precure
GlennMagusHarveyApr 8, 2020 10:23 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 8, 2020 10:19 AM
May 2019
Aria and Mushishi from iyashikei genre.
Apr 8, 2020 10:27 AM

Apr 2018
Not much into the slapstick comedy or focused on comedy but I liked Sket dance
"When I decided to follow my dream, I had already discarded my life.” -Roronoa Zoro
Apr 8, 2020 10:38 AM

May 2019
zieek said:
Parody - I hate it with a burning passion, but:

Outbreak Company (entertainment)
Genshiken (better than Shirobako)
Isekai Quartet

Music - Not a genre that's left a strong, or even a lasting impression, just unimpressive in general, but:

White album 2 (for the romance)
Hibike Euphonium (for the characters)
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Game - In the 2010s this genre has been getting better, not by much but:

3-gatsu no Lion
Chihayafuru
And some Isekai

You should give a chance to Carole & Tuesday, best music anime that was ever created, truly beautiful.

Apr 8, 2020 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
I don't like shoujo that much but I liked fruits basket
Apr 8, 2020 11:04 AM
Jul 2010
I don't really like Mecha Anime, but really liked Full Metal Panic and Patlabor. Especially Patlabor 2 the Movie.
Apr 8, 2020 11:06 AM
News Team
Demon Spawn

Apr 2017
I hate ecchi and harem anime, but I actually had a lot of fun watching No Game No Life and am still holding out for that second season
Apr 8, 2020 11:10 AM

Aug 2018
horridhendy said:
WatchTillTandava said:

Yeah. I think that's one reason that makes it so great - it really is the perfect blend of the two. In fact, it has so many different elements in it. I'm not sure I've seen anything else on MAL with more tags that Inuyasha (it has 10 tags, yet the movies have 11 tags - weird). I'm sure there are other shows that have more but 10/11 is a lot.

Creating shows that defy genre is Rumiko Takahashi's MO. I'm actually surprised you haven't seen more anime adapted from her manga seeing how much you like Inyuasha.
Apr 8, 2020 11:16 AM
Mar 2019
I don't care about cars but I enjoyed initial D, I guess it's kind of a sports anime though which I don't mind.
Apr 8, 2020 11:18 AM

Sep 2017
I really despise ecchi anime, but some of them (like Ishuzoku Reviewers) are pretty fun
Apr 8, 2020 1:15 PM

Oct 2008
RazorWireSodomy said:

You should give a chance to Carole & Tuesday, best music anime that was ever created, truly beautiful.

I watched it and it was good, but not great. If music made the story then it would have been a 8/10 but sadly it didn't.
The art, plot and backstory were lacking.
Apr 8, 2020 1:19 PM

May 2017
I disliked Mecha before watching Suisei no Gargantia, after which i started to love it
Apr 8, 2020 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
horridhendy said:

horridhendy said:
WatchTillTandava said:

Yes, I kinda like a lot more (battle) shounen that ironically seemed to get a huge female fanbase xD Some like Inuyasha, Noragami, D.Gray-man, Owari no Seraph ... also Pandora Hearts would fall into this category as well. Or Vanitas no Carte and Tegamibachi.
When I started watching Inuyasha with 13, I didn't know back then that shounen or shoujo categories exist and have terms to describe a demographic.
I just thought some are written mainly for girls more and some others for boys. Inuyasha really feels like it's more of a shoujo adventure romance.
In the end, the demographic tells you nothing in many cases. It only tells you from which magazine it orginated.

Topic:

Harem - High School Host Club is great. It's cute, funny, Tamaki is cute etc.
If you want to call Akatsuki no Yona a harem, then of course that too.
Steins;Gate also feels like a harem to me.

Mecha - Neon Genesis Evangelion is also great, although I got not so much experience with mecha so far. I rarely get the motivation to watch one.

Ecchi - Kill la Kill. I didn't come so far, because I found it too... hyperactive, but I can appreciate the message and premise.
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt was even as parody too crass for me, but overall okay.
B Gata H Kei was all in all okay tho.
removed-userApr 8, 2020 1:41 PM
Apr 8, 2020 1:48 PM

Aug 2018
I personally find mecha non watchable, but code geass was something I liked.
Maloween 2020 candies

Main candies:

Apr 8, 2020 1:52 PM

Jan 2018
Like most people here, its Code Geass. Δ± don't like mecha but Code Geass is still one of my favorites animes.
Apr 8, 2020 1:54 PM
Aug 2019
I like 2 animes from the mecha genre i normally hate

Code Geass and Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann
Apr 8, 2020 1:56 PM

Jan 2016
I hate ecchi but Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to The Animation is really funny.
Apr 8, 2020 2:00 PM

Sep 2008
SoL: Machikado Mazoku was great. instead of the usual slow dialogueless thing, it's the opposite.
ι¦¬ιΉΏγ’γŸε€«η†γ€€ε…¨ιƒ¨γ‚¬γƒ©γ‚―γ‚Ώγ§
Apr 8, 2020 2:04 PM

Nov 2019
Same with Code Geass, I'm not a big fan of mechas but this one is really something else.
I'm also not very fond of sports anime, but Slam Dunk is fucking amazing wherever you enjoy this genre or not.
Apr 8, 2020 2:06 PM

Aug 2016
Romance:

Tagged romance although romance isn't the reason why I liked the shows: Monogatari, Bakuman, Haruhi movie, HS DxD, Kara no Kyoukai, Macross DRYL, Ruruoni Kenshin OVA, TLR Darkness, Shinmai Maou OVA

Shows that I like because of romance are significantly rarer, so the ones I like are: Tsuki ga Kirei and best one I've seen Asegao to Kase-san

Kids (if we're counting demographics as genre)

Digimon. Although I would like it more if Digimon didn't cater to kids.

Ratings wise, it would say I don't like Ecchi, but that's false. Most of the shows that I happen to watch fell short of what I wanted. Adventure is a victim of shitty long episode franchises.
MechKingKillbotApr 8, 2020 2:15 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favourite romance

Jackson_rajkumar - 5 hours ago

32 by weebtoge »»
1 minute ago

» What are some shows that are commonly credited to change someone's life?

APolygons2 - 26 minutes ago

9 by Spunkert »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 3 )

Catalano - Apr 25

121 by Elitar »»
13 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Yesterday

45 by FanofAction »»
21 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze? ( 1 2 )

brainburger - Apr 21

51 by DarkShame2 »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.