Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 15, 2020 4:08 AM
Nov 2019
Animation does matter even with top tier it still do, for example Weathering with you was no where near a masterpiece plot wise, or even violet evergarden could never take as much tear with its story but their animetion was too good. While people said that animation only need to be watchable and the art to be ok, but i say that many show could never be as high rated even with better plot.
SAO is the most underrated overrated anime
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 15, 2020 4:12 AM

Dec 2018
It really does. If the animation is awful I’m not going to watch it. If I’m not going to watch it then it doesn’t matter what the story is. Great animation doesn’t make a masterpiece alone, you need great characters and an interesting story but you still need good animation.
Mar 15, 2020 4:14 AM
Jul 2018
that's true. I also get the feeling that it comes down to budget. so like sacrificing quality in one area for quality in another (?) but I usually notice a balance in various anime
Mar 15, 2020 4:15 AM
May 2018
I don't know...

Original Macross series has nowhere near the animation of, dunno, Koe no Katachi, yet I enjoyed it indescribably more than the latter.
Mar 15, 2020 4:16 AM

May 2009
Animation does matter but it does not simply contribute linearly to a "how full is the bucket?" measure. Rather, it is affected organically by what the rest of the production is doing.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 15, 2020 4:22 AM
Jul 2018
Poor animators, redrawing same object frames 10 times for a 2 seconds animation.
Mar 15, 2020 4:26 AM
Nov 2019
Psajdak said:
I don't know...

Original Macross series has nowhere near the animation of, dunno, Koe no Katachi, yet I enjoyed it indescribably more than the latter.
It does matter but itself can’t hold the whole anime
Mar 15, 2020 4:29 AM

Dec 2016
It matters, but not to the point where great animation can bypass lackluster storytelling and characters. No matter how good SAO looked animation-wise that didn't stop it from being a bad show overall. Violet Evergarden had unquestionable excellent animation and that didn't stop it from being a personal incredibly tedious, forgettable experience.

On the other hand you can have plenty of shows with so-so animation but that did very well on the other departments that it just doesn't matter. It only has to look decent or watchable enough and not fall into Berserk 2016-like territory.
Mar 15, 2020 4:33 AM
Jul 2018
i agree i liked higurashi but it was hard to take some scenes seriously because the animation is terrible
Mar 15, 2020 4:45 AM
May 2018
SamTHK said:
It does matter but itself can’t hold the whole anime
Well, I guess censorship IS kinda annoying to me, if that counts.
Mar 15, 2020 4:56 AM

Aug 2018
SamTHK said:
Animation does matter even with top tier it still do, for example Weathering with you was no where near a masterpiece plot wise, or even violet evergarden could never take as much tear with its story but their animetion was too good. While people said that animation only need to be watchable and the art to be ok, but i say that many show could never be as high rated even with better plot.
And this is exactly why people are, I will not say "stupid but "unintelligent" because this is a serious matter. Anime includes art, music, characters and story (Story is not a necessary element because characters make stories not stories make characters but still I am adding it)., these elements should be considered equally but majority people do not because of lack of intelligence in themselves. And you, SamTHK you are included in those people too. Rethink what you are doing, by giving a 6.
H_LightstoneMar 15, 2020 5:47 AM

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Mar 15, 2020 5:10 AM

Dec 2015
ewc said:
i agree i liked higurashi but it was hard to take some scenes seriously because the animation is terrible

Even if I agree that Higurashi's animation is nowhere near good, isn't that just an in between frame? Even the best animations have those derpy in between frames because otherwise it just looks stiff. Just look at this frame
holysauronMar 15, 2020 5:13 AM
Mar 15, 2020 5:18 AM

Oct 2019
Based lol

It fundamentally comes down to the overall appeal. Look, I'm not sure if you're talking about art style or animation (or both) but animation should be like 15-20% of what makes an anime. Art style is fundamentally what draws the viewer in and is overall more important in the grand scheme.

Of course if an anime has fantastic animation, it will be well talked about and discussed. Take for instance mob psycho 100. It's animation is fantastic, but it's art style is lackluster (as it's supposed to be).

However if you noticed, Violet Evergarden got more attention for it's art/style/WhateverYou'dCallIt than mob psycho did, because overall it's art was more appealing to mass audiences. It's animation is pretty mediocre but it's art really sold it to be a popular series.
Mar 15, 2020 5:18 AM
Jul 2018
holysauron said:
ewc said:

Even if I agree that Higurashi's animation is nowhere near good, isn't that just an in between frame? Even the best animations have those derpy in between frames because otherwise it just looks stiff. Just look at this frame

its been a while since i watched but im pretty sure she did that for like 3 seconds. theres others that are a lot worse
Mar 15, 2020 5:22 AM

May 2019
If there was an enjoyment/animation quality graph it would look like this ↓

Just replace x with animation quality (0 being the average quality, let's say) and the probability with enjoyment rate.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Mar 15, 2020 5:24 AM

Dec 2015
I get disappointed when studio is using CGI when I know they can do it 10x times better hand drawn.

But if you think I'm running around and giving shows a higher raiting beacuse of the animation you are truly wrong. Animation dosen't impact how I feel about the story and characters.

If animation was something that matter in my case, Overlord woud never been a 10/10.

Initial D First Stage woud never become a favorite as the show got some of the worse CGI animation in history.

If people is running around scoring based on animation, you are just a big damn fool.

Mar 15, 2020 5:34 AM

Jul 2014
Well, I love when the animation is beautiful, it can make me enjoy it more. But sometimes I can ignore the animation when the story or character is good.
Mar 15, 2020 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
Sorry to play the subjectivity card, but it will depend on personal preferences. Animation matters more to some people than to others. Of course as a whole it will add to the overall popularity of the anime, but it's pointless to argue with individuals about how much it matters to them.
Mar 15, 2020 5:58 AM

Jan 2020
Ofc it matters, an anime with shitty animation will just bug me and I won't be able to believe what I'm seeing

I mean I'm not asking for much, just average looking animation is enough for me
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Mar 15, 2020 6:06 AM

Mar 2015
Depends, Hanako-kun has the animation budget of a potato, but I'm still enjoying it. The art & plot are making up for the lack of animation.
Mar 15, 2020 6:50 AM
Nov 2019
H_Lightstone said:
SamTHK said:
And this is exactly why people are, I will not say "stupid but "unintelligent" because this is a serious matter. Anime includes art, music, characters and story (Story is not a necessary element because characters make stories not stories make characters but still I am adding it)., these elements should be considered equally but majority people do not because of lack of intelligence in themselves. And you, SamTHK you are included in those people too. Rethink what you are doing, by giving a 6.

It can only be a six, it is fine not bad, story wise i found better, i gave it a 6 solely for the animation
Mar 15, 2020 6:55 AM
Oct 2018
If the art or animation is decent i will watch it regardless of what it is e.g steins gate doesnt have the greatest animation yet it still was able to tell a compeling story so and was critically aclaimed by many so no it can be better in regards to that aspect.

Sorry for the paragraph...
Mar 15, 2020 6:59 AM

Aug 2018
SamTHK said:
H_Lightstone said:

It can only be a six, it is fine not bad, story wise i found better, i gave it a 6 solely for the animation
Intelligent excuses atleast, good job. :)

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Mar 15, 2020 6:59 AM

May 2016
Bad animation does not necessarily mean a bad anime.

Bad writing does very much mean a bad anime.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 15, 2020 7:18 AM

Aug 2018
Well obviously.
Just look at Kimi no Nawa and Kimetsu no Yaiba.
While one is a tremendous atrocity of writting the other is simply above average and they been treated as the second coming of christ because of their animation only.
The most blatant case is Boku no Hero Academia. I'm fairly sure that if Black Clover and BNHA animation quality were to be switched their popularity would perfectly switch as well.
Japanese watchers don't count in the equation their taste is awful.
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Mar 15, 2020 7:22 AM
Apr 2016
ewc said:
holysauron said:

its been a while since i watched but im pretty sure she did that for like 3 seconds. theres others that are a lot worse
That's not "bad animation," just fluid animation; it's made like that on purpose to give it "life" or "expression." It's comical that people still can't differ fluid animation from bad animation... what a joke.
Mar 15, 2020 7:42 AM

Apr 2018
Yes, i enjoy good animation as much as the next guy, but it is not the golden rule by which good anime are measured.

Case in point, the '97 Berserk anime has pretty bad and stiff animation, but i still consider it a masterpiece and one of my all-time favorites because it excels in almost every other category (story, characters, music, etc.)
Mar 15, 2020 7:46 AM

Jun 2014
Well done animation is a treat to see, but is not necessary for an anime to be good.

Perhaps certain people have higher standards, but I've enjoyed the 1979 Gundam series, and the 1960s Cyborg 009 movies, both of which are known for not having the greatest quality of animation, but it didn't stop me from loving them.

Mar 15, 2020 7:53 AM

May 2019
Incorrect because this scene exists, has no animation and is undeniably awesome.
Mar 15, 2020 8:01 AM
Nov 2019
Nillwas said:
I get disappointed when studio is using CGI when I know they can do it 10x times better hand drawn.

But if you think I'm running around and giving shows a higher raiting beacuse of the animation you are truly wrong. Animation dosen't impact how I feel about the story and characters.

If animation was something that matter in my case, Overlord woud never been a 10/10.

Initial D First Stage woud never become a favorite as the show got some of the worse CGI animation in history.

If people is running around scoring based on animation, you are just a big damn fool.

Sometimes it is impossible to do something without cgi, money is also a problem, they are doing for the money, no one do stuff for free
Mar 15, 2020 8:01 AM
Nov 2019
Freshell said:
Incorrect because this scene exists, has no animation and is undeniably awesome.

That was not anime, that is art, and art matter more than animation
Mar 15, 2020 8:12 AM

May 2019
SamTHK said:
Freshell said:

That was not anime, that is art, and art matter more than animation

Yes, that scene wasn't anime in that it wasn't animated, I agree, though it was a scene from an anime. I still say it demonstrates, however, that a well paced, well directed slide show has just as much entertainment potential as animation. And it's not like anime is continually animated. There's plenty of scenes in plenty of shows where characters are just standing around talking for extend periods of time with the only movement being side ways pans and mouth movements.

Now if your point is simply, "if a show decides to make a scene animated, it ought to be animated well," I wouldn't disagree. Though at that point for me, I only really care that it's passable, but good animation is definitely a plus.
Mar 15, 2020 8:43 AM

Apr 2015
When speaking about animation the problem always really comes to how people not familiar with the art form can not always separate appreciation of good animation techniques and artistic choices from ya know art style.

As for does animation matter in that good animation=best shit ever, no. I have enjoyed a lot short animations done on purpose bad, because it works in it. Not using anime here as an example but Disney films, take The Lion king while I don't think it has bad animation the way those big feline animals are animated can be traced back to Jungle book and how Milt Kahl animated Shere Khan. Now comparing those two i'd say technically Shere Khan is animated way better, but overall I don't enjoy Jungle book more than The Lion King.

Freshell said:

I need to disagree here. Not on its awesomeness but it not having animation. It just used different method from traditional animation, more closer to something like sand animation tbh.
Mar 15, 2020 8:45 AM

Feb 2010
I mean of course it does. It's not irrelevant. But how much it matters depends on the individual and on the show. There have been many examples of shows with mediocre animation where I didn't care and was very hooked on everything else, and many examples with great animation that failed to hook me and still ended up being forgettable to me.

In general I like to have the mindset that great animation is always a plus, but a lack of it is not always a minus. If the writing/story/characters/comedy/whatever is good enough to captivate me, I will never focus on the animation and won't wish for better animation even if it isn't great. Only if I'm bored enough by the content will I let my mind wander and focus on the animation, realizing it's bad and losing even more interest in the show.

Basically great animation is always noticeable and a nice plus, although great animation alone can only carry an anime for so long (maybe for the duration of a movie or an OVA, but never for a whole TV Series).

And bad/mediocre animation is only noticeable and problematic if the show failed to otherwise capture my attention and keep me entertained enough not to worry about animation. Of course there are examples where it's so bad that it's impossible not to notice, but that's a very small minority of shows. Most of the times animation is just 'meh' and that's not an issue for me unless the rest of the show sucks as well.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 15, 2020 8:46 AM

Jul 2014
H_Lightstone said:
Anime includes art, music, characters and story (Story is not a necessary element because characters make stories not stories make characters but still I am adding it)

I claim the opposite, it is character (if you mean personality) that is completely redundant. One do not have to do anything specific to create personality, personality comes whether one want it or not from any appearance, as personality is just another name for mask or illusion.
In this sense, appearance is the important thing, to depict appearance in it's fullness.

These elements should not be considered equally or separately.
They should be considered based on the proper context.
Anime as an artwork, is not a patchwork of parts, but a full scene that should be judged as such.
One should be fully absorbed by the illusion of the artwork, as in sense the fabric of the world and the time that passes in the artwork itself.
Mar 15, 2020 8:49 AM

Jun 2019
It does usually help get a score up, that's for sure. And there's certain people who find it more important than others.

I always rate based on story etc though, so it doesn't really do much for me personally. But it does matter, like you said.

Mar 15, 2020 8:52 AM
Jan 2019
It does, but not much. The most important thing in a anime isn’t the visual, the story is the key part.
Mar 15, 2020 8:55 AM

Oct 2017
Of course, for example Berserk 2016 had story but the animation killed it while chuunibyou have a fanbase product of a good animation when it's story wasn't any special.

Mar 15, 2020 8:59 AM

Feb 2016
Of course it does. All the factors like animation, story, characters, sound and plot play a part in making a good anime.
Mar 15, 2020 9:09 AM

May 2019
konkelo said:
When speaking about animation the problem always really comes to how people not familiar with the art form can not always separate appreciation of good animation techniques and artistic choices from ya know art style.

As for does animation matter in that good animation=best shit ever, no. I have enjoyed a lot short animations done on purpose bad, because it works in it. Not using anime here as an example but Disney films, take The Lion king while I don't think it has bad animation the way those big feline animals are animated can be traced back to Jungle book and how Milt Kahl animated Shere Khan. Now comparing those two i'd say technically Shere Khan is animated way better, but overall I don't enjoy Jungle book more than The Lion King.

Freshell said:

I need to disagree here. Not on its awesomeness but it not having animation. It just used different method from traditional animation, more closer to something like sand animation tbh.

Is this the kind of thing you're referring to when you talk about sand animation?

Because thanks for sharing the existence of that. Looks pretty awesome. Has to take a lot of skill to do that as a performance art.

The definition I'm working off of with animation is "sequential images that create an illusion of movement." That's absent in the scene I posted (though I guess the flips gave some minor illusions in a few bits.) That's what I based my statement on. Is there a different definition that you're working off of?
Mar 15, 2020 9:24 AM

Aug 2018
Safeanew said:
H_Lightstone said:
Anime includes art, music, characters and story (Story is not a necessary element because characters make stories not stories make characters but still I am adding it)

I claim the opposite, it is character (if you mean personality) that is completely redundant. One do not have to do anything specific to create personality, personality comes whether one want it or not from any appearance, as personality is just another name for mask or illusion.
In this sense, appearance is the important thing, to depict appearance in it's fullness.

These elements should not be considered equally or separately.
They should be considered based on the proper context.
Anime as an artwork, is not a patchwork of parts, but a full scene that should be judged as such.
One should be fully absorbed by the illusion of the artwork, as in sense the fabric of the world and the time that passes in the artwork itself.
This is improper answer. Read rest of the original comment.

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Mar 15, 2020 9:27 AM

Jul 2014
H_Lightstone said:

You did not say anything more of relevance based on my judgement, so please enlighten me on what I missed.
Mar 15, 2020 9:33 AM

Aug 2018
Safeanew said:
H_Lightstone said:

You did not say anything more of relevance based on my judgement, so please enlighten me on what I missed.
I don't say my words twice. :) By the way go to my first replay

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Mar 15, 2020 9:36 AM

Sep 2014
I wouldnt watch a show with trash story/everything just because the animation is stellar. Maybe some gifs to see how good the animation is but now 12 x 20 mins of trash.

Redline immediately comes to mind when I think about animation FAR better than the story, but the actual story wasnt bad. It was solid enough.

While I probably wouldnt watch a shit looking show just because of the plot. At that point I might as well just read the source.

Overall the animation is an important part of anime (duh) but it shouldnt make or break a show, I will however heavily influence the experience. I personally do like unusual artstyles from time to time though and I really dig the ooold styles for sci fi. I have often heard people wont watch shows because they look to old, so there is that.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 15, 2020 9:39 AM

Jul 2017
It matters but is not the end all decision. Bounen no Xamdou has some great animation but apparently its story is all over the place that people ended up not liking it.
Mar 15, 2020 9:44 AM

Jul 2014
H_Lightstone said:
Safeanew said:

Then my response is proper, because you did not say anything more of relevance.
Mar 15, 2020 9:44 AM

Apr 2015
Freshell said:
Is this the kind of thing you're referring to when you talk about sand animation?

Because thanks for sharing the existence of that. Looks pretty awesome. Has to take a lot of skill to do that as a performance art.

The definition I'm working off of with animation is "sequential images that create an illusion of movement." That's absent in the scene I posted (though I guess the flips gave some minor illusions in a few bits.) That's what I based my statement on. Is there a different definition that you're working off of?

Yep that's what i meant. Kseniya Simonova's art was actually my first peek in sand animation.

My definition would be more along the line of just "creating illusion of movement". I'm part of that group that thinks puppetry can be called animation in some cases. Like you mentioned that scene has parts that create said illusion of movement, which i think is enough for it to be considered animation.
Mar 15, 2020 9:52 AM

Aug 2018
Safeanew said:
H_Lightstone said:

Then my response is proper, because you did not say anything more of relevance.
Everything was relevant. If you understand it carefully.

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Mar 15, 2020 9:55 AM

May 2016
Of course it does.

Animation is a component of presentation, along with other things such as directing and voice acting.

Presentation being the thing that draws out the potential of the plot into the surface.

A good presentation is one that can channel the plot's full potential onto the screen, realizing it.

A bad presentation obfuscates and twists the plot into something lesser than it could've been.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Mar 15, 2020 9:56 AM

Oct 2014
of course it matters. if it didn't, there would be tons of old "good" anime series being talked about except for the usual ones (nge, logth, etc). ufotable makes series good on their animation alone. no one would be talking about demon slayer if jc staff or toei was doing it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Today

25 by EpicO4 »»
2 minutes ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

40 by MeltyGutz »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 40 minutes ago

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
10 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

54 by Luchipher-Zen »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.