Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 15, 2019 12:36 PM
Aug 2019
Can’t wait for this show to get the score boost it deserves on this site!!
Dec 15, 2019 12:36 PM

Jul 2017
Does anybody know how this show is doing in Japan? There's more than enough content for a second season but I feel the chances of this getting one is low.
Dec 15, 2019 12:38 PM

Jun 2019
This episode was pretty good, much better than the last one!

Thorfinn's done pretty much nothing since the start of the series but be a whiny emo loser. He finally got a good beat-down.

Askalaad's backstory was finally revealed in more detail. Fucking brutal death scene.

Next week is the penultimate episode, I wonder what'll happen.
Dec 15, 2019 12:39 PM

Jul 2014
I'll give this show a lot of credit for making it seem as if this duel would be the end for one of these two characters, only for it to go much the same as usual: Thorfinn loses his temper to Askeladd's taunts and it's an easy victory for the more experienced warrior. However, with everything else that happened here, this beating feels a lot more climactic and final, as if Askeladd isn't even going to humour Thorfinn's pointless efforts anymore; he's put up with it for ten years and there's been no real development from Thorfinn, so it must all feel pointless for Askeladd. Even more so when Thorfinn can't see what's happening even when Askeladd all but spells it out for him.

And while Askeladd's backstory is interesting in itself, I'm much more interested in Thorfinn at this stage, with him having been in the background for so long. He's not developed in any way for ages, but this feels like a watershed moment for him: the rage that has driven him so far is still there, but the way he slumps in defeat really feels like he finally understands how futile his actions have been so far. But what does he do now? That's what I'm interested in.
Dec 15, 2019 12:55 PM

Feb 2019
*continues trying to hate Asekladd* There are no enemies, no good or evil, just all depends on the side you're on. Asekladd is just Thorfinn with another set of circumstances. They have a symbiotic relationship with each other. Thorfinn's scream at the end.. gut wrenching. Two more eps to go, it'll be interesting to see if Farmland Saga is as well received in the west as this is, the action really stops this season, instead, it becomes a philosophical, moral and spiritual conflict. Well done WIT for adapting what was previously thought to be unadaptable.
Dec 15, 2019 1:00 PM

Sep 2014
Princess Canute dyed her hair pink.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 15, 2019 1:01 PM

Apr 2015
Oh wow, this series is unbelievable!

It's sad the series will be over soon, it had to be one of the best series I watched this year.

Dec 15, 2019 1:11 PM

Jul 2014
GreenEmu said:
Does anybody know how this show is doing in Japan? There's more than enough content for a second season but I feel the chances of this getting one is low.

It doesn't really matter I think, mostly because amazon is funding it at least partially, they are going big with their shit (1 billion dollar LOTR series PLUS next gen MMORPG based on LOTR at the same time). Amazon will definitely not discontinue a critically acclaimed story and leave it unfinished, especially at times that are critical for their netflix/disney plus competitor service to rise above them.
Dec 15, 2019 1:43 PM

Mar 2019
operationvalkyri said:
I have to be honest; I teared up at the end. Thorfinn crying for the waste of his 10 years is just too much.

Same, Everyone here is talking about Askeladd in this episode but ignoring Thorfinn, I'm so sad for him tbh. 10 years of pain and suffer, 10 years of abandoning your humane side & emotions, and by the end, the gain is 0. I wonder what the ending of this anime will be like.
Dec 15, 2019 1:46 PM

Sep 2018
This was my favorite episode so far. The duel was pretty quick, but the backstory was very entertaining. I would give this episode a 5/5.
Dec 15, 2019 1:58 PM
Jun 2015
Doostine_ said:
This is it. This is the beginning of the climax of Vinland Saga, anime only viewers, get ready for what I believe will be some of the best episodes of anime history.
Yeah. I'm talking HXH 131 Good.
Dec 15, 2019 2:00 PM

Jun 2015
So that's why Askeladd tries to take Thorfinn's duels seriously. He went through some similar shit.
That flashback was nice, and the speech he delivered in the end really was some salt to Thorfinn's wounds.
Dec 15, 2019 2:01 PM
May 2019
they're not doing a goob job with original content in some cases.

like in episode 10 where we got Thorfinn's dream about his father, it was hammered down already, should've kept the scene where Thorfinn walks away from a girl getting raped to properly establish his coldheartedness and disgusting side, contrasted with his longing for a paradise (vinland). what did the dream do...?

we already had thorfinn meeting leif last episode, which gave the viewer a moment to reflect on his gruesome journey so far, doing this flashback again wasn't that bad and worked well given the context of the duel, but it still comes of as spoonfeeding

I have to agree with some people that this anime adaptation is weirdly inconsistent in certain aspects, still fucking amazing though
Dec 15, 2019 2:13 PM

Jun 2014
GreenEmu said:

The BD box volume 1 wll be on sale around the end of this month, to be frank, the BD projection number is abysmally low, around 400-600 at best. The good news? It is very well received both East and West, NHK's rating is around 2%, pretty great for a late-night series and I don't have to mention how great AMAZON users rate this series.

Another factor is, Bilibili (Mainland China's crunchyroll) heavily invested this series (directly to Twin Engine in terms of funds) in order to promote its official manga simulcasting service (with Vinland Saga being one of its heavy hitters and it's doing VERY well), will this site continue to do the same? A huge if since they already achieved their goal. We see how far crunchyroll has influenced Shield Hero's success to the point 2 additional seasons were announced, hopefully same would happen to this one as well.

The rest is up to Production IG, WIT (they are both in production committee) and Kodansha
Dec 15, 2019 2:23 PM

Oct 2009
Waschmaschine369 said:

like in episode 10 where we got Thorfinn's dream about his father, it was hammered down already, should've kept the scene where Thorfinn walks away from a girl getting raped to properly establish his coldheartedness and disgusting side, contrasted with his longing for a paradise (vinland). what did the dream do...?

we already had thorfinn meeting leif last episode, which gave the viewer a moment to reflect on his gruesome journey so far, doing this flashback again wasn't that bad and worked well given the context of the duel, but it still comes of as spoonfeeding

I have to agree with some people that this anime adaptation is weirdly inconsistent in certain aspects, still fucking amazing though

In this episode I think it was simply a case of filling time, there wasn't enough material in the chapter itself to fill an episode and have a natural end point. This is why they showed Bjorn's death scene again almost in its entirety before the opening to stretch it out to the full runtime.

It is frustrating that sometimes memorable parts from the manga get left out whilst there are also anime original scenes finding their way in but a lot of the time it's simply a matter of trying to fit the TV episode format.
Dec 15, 2019 2:24 PM

Nov 2018
What a great episode!! This is one of the best backstory-themed episodes I've ever seen.

This show is cementing itself as one of this year's greatest shows and a potential modern classic

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Dec 15, 2019 2:26 PM

Jan 2009
lol people getting triggered by the Naruto user again just use talk no jutsu on him lol

you know he cannot be banned as long as he still civil with his opinions

SmilingBeginner said:
GreenEmu said:

The BD box volume 1 wll be on sale around the end of this month, to be frank, the BD projection number is abysmally low, around 400-600 at best. The good news? It is very well received both East and West, NHK's rating is around 2%, pretty great for a late-night series and I don't have to mention how great AMAZON users rate this series.

Another factor is, Bilibili (Mainland China's crunchyroll) heavily invested this series (directly to Twin Engine in terms of funds) in order to promote its official manga simulcasting service (with Vinland Saga being one of its heavy hitters and it's doing VERY well), will this site continue to do the same? A huge if since they already achieved their goal. We see how far crunchyroll has influenced Shield Hero's success to the point 2 additional seasons were announced, hopefully same would happen to this one as well.

The rest is up to Production IG, WIT (they are both in production committee) and Kodansha

how about the manga sales? did it have any manga boost sales?

and ye Dr Stone is the same it rely on international streaming profit since its disc sales and manga sales are bad or not good
Dec 15, 2019 3:27 PM

Mar 2014
This is why slow-burn stories matter. Had this backstory been told at the start of the series it wouldn't be even close to being this impactful. Knowing Askeladd and what he did makes his past even more intriguing at this point in the story, specially after the duel.

And I love the mood of the episode. It felt so heavy and melancholic.
Dec 15, 2019 3:44 PM

Jul 2015
is nice eppisode.
cool contrast between askeladd and thorfinn
askeladd going through with killing people when they're off-guard
compared w/ thorfinn who insists on killing via 1v1 duel & holding back when he thought askeladd was asleep.
Dec 15, 2019 4:08 PM

Aug 2017
There's something so horribly tragic that in all their time together, Askeladd has pretty much become Thorfinn's father at this point.

Try as he might he actually cares for the boy now & worries that his quest for vengeance will leave him with nothing once he eventually dies.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Dec 15, 2019 4:21 PM
Apr 2016
This is why vinland saga is masterpiece
Dec 15, 2019 4:25 PM
May 2019
TopgunUK said:
Waschmaschine369 said:

In this episode I think it was simply a case of filling time, there wasn't enough material in the chapter itself to fill an episode and have a natural end point. This is why they showed Bjorn's death scene again almost in its entirety before the opening to stretch it out to the full runtime.

It is frustrating that sometimes memorable parts from the manga get left out whilst there are also anime original scenes finding their way in but a lot of the time it's simply a matter of trying to fit the TV episode format.

yeh I think I'm still pissed off at episode 10, thors gets mentioned so many times already so there was no point to the dream sequence apart from emphasizing on thorfinn's emotions towards him again and again.

the flashback in this episode worked well though because of how askeladd shits on him for working his ass off 10 years for the sake of his vengeance, blinding himself and not learning anything.

this is a wonderful adaptation though, inconsistent in some aspects but high quality

they're doing a great job with the art style these episodes, captures both the dirty and beauty of this world and its characters

can't get enough of askeladd, he forged his hatred into a tool, concealing it

Dec 15, 2019 4:43 PM

Feb 2013
Thorfinn is pure assbutter
Dec 15, 2019 5:20 PM
Jun 2017
I hope Thorfinn is learning from every duel he is having with. Askallad just gave him some tips on why he cant even win vs him
Dec 15, 2019 5:26 PM

Nov 2015
My god Askeladd is such a good character. Best part about this show IMO

Katsura janai, Zura da

Dec 15, 2019 5:39 PM

Jan 2018
To Thorfinn: When will you learn? When are you going to learn? Battles/duels are won by strategies, not by pure emotions.

I'll have to admit, every duel with Askeladd is always one-sided. It makes me feel unsympathetic to Thorfinn. Askeladd is right, he doesn't learn because he's an idiot.

That was a painful backstory on Askeladd. He knows how to control his emotions during his younger days. Even though he's the villain in this anime, he's one empathetic character.

For crying out loud Thorfinn, learn.
Dec 15, 2019 6:13 PM
Nov 2018
That was a fantastic episode. Powerful. Askeladd is a great character. This is definitely one of the best anime ever made.

I envy those in the future who have just started watching anime, and who can watch all of this in one sweep when it's finished. What an experience it will be.

Well, if you want to do good, then you are good. Even if you hurt other people, if you think that is what is needed to do good. As millions of soldiers have done. Yes, even if you do it for selfish reasons it isn't evil, it is only natural instinct like what animals have, fighting over territory. But to hurt people when it isn't needed, to cause suffering just for the fun of it, just because you want to see people cry, that is evil.

Superns18 said:
*continues trying to hate Asekladd* There are no enemies, no good or evil, just all depends on the side you're on. Asekladd is just Thorfinn with another set of circumstances. They have a symbiotic relationship with each other. Thorfinn's scream at the end.. gut wrenching. Two more eps to go, it'll be interesting to see if Farmland Saga is as well received in the west as this is, the action really stops this season, instead, it becomes a philosophical, moral and spiritual conflict. Well done WIT for adapting what was previously thought to be unadaptable.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
MonkeyDHunterDec 16, 2019 10:18 AM
Dec 15, 2019 6:48 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know what to say at this point? Every episode is just amazing. Almost every episode of Vinland Saga has some sort of drama in it, that's built on what was established previously, which makes every dramatic scene hit hard.

Yet it's handled in such a calm, sophisticated way that I haven't seen any other drama anime handle: the beautiful shots of landscapes, the very tranquil music, the lack of crying and screaming (aside from Thorfinn), it's just...captivating.

What's shocking about this episode is that not much even happened actually: Askeladd kicked Thorfinn's ass, told him his life story (which we were given glimpses of, but not given this much detail), then told him he's an idiot. That's basically it.

But, somehow, if anything, this episode felt too fast, probably because of how captivating it was, at least for me. I haven't felt like the pacing has ever dragged on, and I don't think I've really seen anyone complain about the pacing either: I think it's perfect, the pacing.

In 2 episodes, I think this revenge arc is going to reach its climax. I can't wait to see the anime-only viewers' reactions when the climax happens. Without spoiling anything guys, the conclusion to Thorfinn's revenge story is...not going to be anything you expect.

@Waschmaschine369

I thought the purpose of the dream in episode 10 was very clear though: Thors telling his son to give up on revenge, was actually subtext for Thorfinn considering giving up his revenge, since in the world of Vinland Saga, which is based on the real world, it's obviously impossible for someone from the dead to appear in your dreams. Why else would that line of dialogue be there?

@SmilingBeginner

That...actually makes a lot of sense. Great subtext.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
MonkeyDHunterDec 16, 2019 10:17 AM
Dec 15, 2019 7:14 PM
Jul 2018
Xelecus said:
operationvalkyri said:
I have to be honest; I teared up at the end. Thorfinn crying for the waste of his 10 years is just too much.

Same, Everyone here is talking about Askeladd in this episode but ignoring Thorfinn, I'm so sad for him tbh. 10 years of pain and suffer, 10 years of abandoning your humane side & emotions, and by the end, the gain is 0. I wonder what the ending of this anime will be like.
Yup. The big emotional moment is not Askeladd's here. We knew his story in bits and pieces already. It's the effect his words have on Thorfinn that packs a punch. He finally, finally realizes that his goal has been futile. The poor boy. What next for him I wonder.
Dec 15, 2019 7:16 PM
May 2019
@RealTheAbsurdist this was already done in episode 8, maybe you're confusing the two dream sequences?

the one in episode 10 was just a nightmare from what I remember, not adding much except reinforcing thorfinn's grief.

edit: I just rewatched that part and I'm wrong about episode 10 being just a nightmare, but my point still stands since episode 8 did it already. same subtext about revenge, only difference is that this one emphasizes more on the fact it wouldn't make thors and his mom and sister happy. enough of that information was conveyed earlier, there's no point.

thorfinn walking away from the gang rape would objectively be better and more impactful. both in characterization and story progression.

MonkeyDHunterDec 16, 2019 10:19 AM
Dec 15, 2019 7:33 PM
Jul 2018
Waschmaschine369 said:
@RealTheAbsurdist this was already done in episode 8, maybe you're confusing the two dream sequences?

the one in episode 10 was just a nightmare from what I remember, not adding much except reinforcing thorfinn's grief.

Huh. Then I forgot the dream sequence in ep 10.

Waschmaschine369 said:

edit: I just rewatched that part and I'm wrong about episode 10 being just a nightmare, but my point still stands since episode 8 did it already. same subtext about revenge, only difference is that this one emphasizes more on the fact it wouldn't make thors and his mom and sister happy. enough of that information was conveyed earlier, there's no point.

I don't remember the dream in episode 8, so I won't comment on that.

MonkeyDHunterDec 16, 2019 10:23 AM
Dec 15, 2019 8:05 PM

Oct 2018
- how to kill someone you hate?
answer is don't get emotional.

- askeladd story was really emotional.
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Dec 15, 2019 8:15 PM

Dec 2013
I loved more about Askeladd and his backstory.

Thorfinn's IQ drops dramatically whenever it involves Askeladd and revenge.
Dec 15, 2019 8:52 PM
May 2019
@RealTheAbsurdist of course the rape scene in the manga is more impactful, the fact some fragile individuals would prefer a filler dream sequence not adding much only proves my point

in what world is it not, a rape scene in anime where a teenage protagonist walks it off, establishing he's fully part of that circuit now. how could a standard nightmare even come close? you high?

@HungryForQuality he's been a viking for longer than that though. askeladd said he wanted to take over his father's properties. he's been a viking for decades. around 40 years.

it's hard to grasp why he stayed a viking for so long, even though he hates them. it's part of his character, the contradictions, the hatred, all of it makes him compelling.

maybe he just enjoyed killing fellow danes, the exploration and feasts, exploiting his cunningness in battle and strategic manouevres. or kept hoping an opportunity like getting hold of someone like canute would ever happen, same way he truly wanted someone like thors to become his leader.

it takes balls to write a character who will kill 62 innocents, and not make him a villain but actually make him the most cultured and smart character in your story. give him understandable motivations, who doesn't love a man having so much love for his mother, and hate his father for being complete dogshit? working his ass off as a child to take care of her all alone. make him wise and give him some heroic qualities. it's all just great.

to top it off, he brought her back to wales near her death, she was a noble turned into a slave. he has the blood of the one made her a slave.

MonkeyDHunterDec 16, 2019 10:26 AM
Dec 15, 2019 9:14 PM
May 2019
@RealTheAbsurdist I provided hungry with my opinion on askeladd, all based on what the story has told so far

MonkeyDHunterDec 16, 2019 10:27 AM
Dec 15, 2019 9:29 PM
Jul 2018
@Waschmaschine369

A teenage boy walking off a rape happening in front of him: would a scene like that be more impactful to many people and me? Yes. But to many people, it wouldn't. A different scene, like a nightmare sequence, or just anything else, would be more impactful. What is emotionally impactful to a group of people, won't be emotionally impactful to another group of people. Why is it that so hard to understand? Although considering that Vinland Saga has shown Vikings pillaging villages and killing innocent people, and at least implied rape, I don't understand why the studio didn't just put the rape scene in: it wouldn't exactly be much more fucked up than everything else that's happened in this anime.
Dec 15, 2019 9:31 PM

Jan 2013
Askeladd's past is amazing. not ready for the guy

Thorfinn's crying was unintentionally hilarious tho
Dec 15, 2019 10:03 PM
May 2019
@RealTheAbsurdist because it's a scene with thorfinn, some said it's so that he doesn't become unlovable as a character. it's something else seeing random soldiers do it.

just think of bjorn in ep 14, after becoming invested in him you don't want to see him violently force his way into family's house and steal their goods. or askeladd commanding mass murder when the episode prior he was made to look heroic. not that these things weren't known already, but it still influences your perspective, makes them more real

but I don't get why it wasn't included either, it would be a great moment for thorfinn's characterization we get so little off. we've already seen rape implied and bodies dismembered. people who like this anime would take it as a positive rather than a negative. thorfinn is so near unlikable already anyway.

on the objective part, I'm saying it would do more for thorfinn character wise than that filler dream sequence. and sure, a very small majority wouldn't find it engaging, but the vast majority definitely would. that's not hard to understand. common sense allows that statement to be true, it would be more impactful, right? it would become a hot topic.
Dec 15, 2019 10:08 PM
Jul 2018
Waschmaschine369 said:
@RealTheAbsurdist because it's a scene with thorfinn, some said it's so that he doesn't become unlovable as a character. it's something else seeing random soldiers do it.

just think of bjorn in ep 14, after becoming invested in him you don't want to see him violently force his way into family's house and steal their goods. or askeladd commanding mass murder when the episode prior he was made to look heroic. not that these things weren't known already, but it still influences your perspective, makes them more real

but I don't get why it wasn't included either, it would be a great moment for thorfinn's characterization we get so little off. we've already seen rape implied and bodies dismembered. people who like this anime would take it as a positive rather than a negative. thorfinn is so near unlikable already anyway.

on the objective part, I'm saying it would do more for thorfinn character wise than that filler dream sequence. and sure, a very small majority wouldn't find it engaging, but the vast majority definitely would. that's not hard to understand. common sense allows that statement to be true, it would be more impactful, right? it would become a hot topic.

I don't think most people on the internet actually know what "objective" even means. Dictionary:
"(of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts."

We're not talking about facts: we're talking about a fictional story.

But yes, otherwise, I agree that it would've been better if the rape scene was included, and yeah, I think most of us watching can agree that Thorfinn is by no means a likeable person, much less a good one. Yet I think that's the thing that makes Vinland Saga oddly amazing: these characters are not good people. At all. They shouldn't be likeable, yet we still love them. It's ironic, but brilliant. I think the reason why many of us love these characters, is simply because they're so interesting.
Dec 15, 2019 10:27 PM
May 2019
@RealTheAbsurdist just to add, seeing thorfinn walking away from a girl getting gang raped by his fellow crew members would make me care about him way more, because you realise how terrible his path is and you want him to change so badly

not different from irl really
Dec 15, 2019 10:29 PM
Jul 2018
Waschmaschine369 said:
@RealTheAbsurdist just to add, seeing thorfinn walking away from a girl getting gang raped by his fellow crew members would make me care about him way more, because you realise how terrible his path is and you want him to change so badly

not different from irl really

That's definitely one way I'm sure some people would feel about that scene, but I think a majority of people would be utterly disgusted at Thorfinn--although they probably already are with all the shit he's done.
Dec 15, 2019 10:39 PM
May 2019
@RealTheAbsurdist lesser beings objectively viewing the story improperly should be of no concern. proper way is seeing it as both disgusting and heartbreaking.

I'm aware of future development so I'm biased, but even then I think the story makes clear he'll change at some point, because of how much he gets called out for being an idiot.

obviously what I really mean is that I'm a fanboy and can't understand the disdain people have for thorfinn's character, or more extreme, why they think the story is bad.
Dec 15, 2019 10:54 PM
Jul 2018
Waschmaschine369 said:
@RealTheAbsurdist lesser beings objectively viewing the story improperly should be of no concern. proper way is seeing it as both disgusting and heartbreaking.

I'm aware of future development so I'm biased, but even then I think the story makes clear he'll change at some point, because of how much he gets called out for being an idiot.

obviously what I really mean is that I'm a fanboy and can't understand the disdain people have for thorfinn's character, or more extreme, why they think the story is bad.

I mean, it definitely makes sense why someone might dislike Thorfinn as a character: aside from doing a lot of evil shit, a majority of his dialogue and thoughts revolve around wanting to kill Askeladd. Sure, you can make the argument that this arc primarily focuses on Askeladd and Canute after a certain point, but still, even I, someone who really likes Thorfinn, think that his character became a bit static after a certain point. In the Berserk manga, yes in the beginning Guts was a cold hearted person hellbent on revenge, but even then he occasionally showed hints of compassion which added layers to his character.

It's easy to understand why someone might think this anime's story is "bad" in the sense that it doesn't appeal to them: sure, there are plenty of extremely messed up and dark anime like Berserk, Tokyo Ghoul, Akame ga Kill, Future Diary, Higurashi, but the difference, is that in none of those are the main characters going around helping people massacre and rape innocent people: they're still the good guys technically. Even at the time I read Vinland Saga, I had watched plenty of anime, and read plenty of manga, that were very messed up, yet even I was uncomfortable.

However, I don't understand why anyone would think the Vinland Saga anime is "bad" in the sense that it's bad from a critical perspective: the only big complaints I've heard of this anime is:

-the CG (which I agree)
-the "filler" episodes (which I thought added to the narrative)
-Canute's sudden change in personality (even if his change in idealogy was hinted at prior, there's a difference between personality and beliefs)
-the fight between Thorkell and Thorfinn being anticlimactic, not as hype as it was hinted at being.

and...I think that's it? I think these are definitely good criticisms (even if I disagree with the "filler" episodes being bad), but I can't imagine anyone thinking that this anime is bad just for those reasons.

In some ways I think the Vinland Saga anime is better than the manga:

-The "filler" episodes added more emotional weight.
-The story is told in 100% chronological order, so it makes the beginning parts feel more impactful, at least for me.
-The great soundtrack, the colors of the scenery, really add to the emotional scenes and the atmosphere.
Dec 16, 2019 12:25 AM
Feb 2016
Words cannot express how much I love this show. It's extremely immersive and time flies while I watch it.

Askeladd's backstory is the golden standard for backstories. Fleshed out it's a tale of vengeance, but it's vengeance done right.

Now it all makes sense.

"Why didn't you kill me in my sleep?" - Askeladd to Thorfinn Episode 5

Brilliant. It all comes together.

MonkeyDHunterDec 16, 2019 10:29 AM
Dec 16, 2019 1:00 AM

Jan 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:

-Canute's sudden change in personality (even if his change in idealogy was hinted at prior, there's a difference between personality and beliefs).

You're implying that you agree, however you love the manga.
I'm a little confused.
Dec 16, 2019 1:07 AM
Sep 2018
Become Viking =
Become someone who causes other people's disasters by wanting =
Askelad only knows how to be viking to kill disliked people =
Askelad is Viking=
Unfit for the king.

Can you kill it just because you want it?
YES,Viking can.
What do you really want?
The son of Thors, you can only get a viking.
In Askelad's opinion, everyone is a slave. Askelad can never be the king he think.
Ichigen-sanDec 16, 2019 1:36 AM
Dec 16, 2019 3:01 AM
May 2016
Maaan... What a fucking amazing episode. Color me genuinely impressed. A part of me was worried they wouldn't do this part of the manga justice since I couldn't help myself and read ahead after last week's episode, good lord I kind of wish I didn't because this episode was almost flawless. The entire run of it was just so fucking rich in atmosphere and mood, the OST choices for every scene was perfect, the ambience was fucking THERE, the animation and art were also genuinely striking. This had the air of peak WIT and the direction was absolutely spot on, rivaling and maybe even surpassing episode 14. I enjoyed the first half of this show but my god they really have done an absolutely fantastic job with the second half.

Askeladd's backstory was so well-portrayed, I have to say out of all the characters he was the last one I was expecting to like, yet alone enjoy to the point where I think he's easily stolen the show and is one of the best antagonists/anti-heroes I've seen in manga/anime in fucking ages. He's such a delightfully complex and well-written character and with every episode I grow to like him more and more, which feels downright strange yet incredibly impressive on the author's part considering he killed Thors at the start of the story. This episode was so full of emotion and was consistently somber in a really poignant way, I adored every single bit of it. If the next 2 episodes maintain this quality then this will hands down be one of the best shows I've seen in ages. Bravo WIT.

EchoAnEternity said:
I’m gonna be really upset if this episode get lower than the 96 % it’s at now. One of the best episodes of the year and Askeladd is without a doubt best character of the year. Fucking phenomenal

People really don't know what's good man. Then again we also had people rating episode 14 low so the people on MAL really just have no taste tbh.

Mod Edit: Merged posts;
MonkeyDHunterDec 16, 2019 10:35 AM
Dec 16, 2019 3:21 AM

Mar 2016
Absolute MADLAD!!!

SmilingBeginner said:
thebrentinator24 said:
Damn what an episode. Even at a young age Askeladd's opponents were playing checkers while he was playing fuckin 80-dimensional chess. His patience and planning skills are top notch. Phenomenal backstory for such an amazing character. And of course Thorfinn once again got his ass whooped. Rushing in without a plan, yelling like a shounen protagonist will get you nowhere against a seasoned vet. I suppose Askeladd sees his young self in Thorfinn but unlike Askeladd, Thorfinn isn't learning from his mistakes to find a successful way to kill Askeladd. It's the same shit over and over and I'm certain Askeladd is pissed off and over it at this point. Hence, why we saw him be a complete savage toward Thorfinn. And Thorkell calling all of that pathetic was the cherry on top that summed it up perfectly. Great stuff.

And lol at the troll above....still here after 22 episodes nitpicking at the littlest things to complain about. Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess xD

Another thing I like Askeladd is, while he hates Danes and treat them like manipulatable puppets, he did tried to evoke something from Thorfinn, more precisely, a sense of self-purpose byond revenge. Askeladd completed the revenge, yet afterwards he just trapped himself in the same vicious cycle that his father committed, eventually became the exact same type of people he despised while he was still young. If Thorfinn still cannot grow himself out of this mess, then Askeladd has no problem to continue to treat him like a beast, instead of a "true warrior".

I love this kind of multi-layered character writing that goes beyond of good vs evil, or evil for the sake being evil.

Maybe just like Askeladd said, we are all slaves to to something, but it would be a great start to change if we realized that fact ourselves first.
Couldn't put it better myself!

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
MonkeyDHunterDec 16, 2019 10:31 AM

Dec 16, 2019 3:30 AM
Oct 2007
I didn't get the time to watch this last week and being able to watch 2 episodes back to back is just simply amazing! Goosebumps after goosebumps. I'm already pretty hype seeing how manga readers are expecting us anime watchers to get surprise at the last 2 episodes. Can't get enough!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2019 3:37 AM
May 2016
Slimcoder said:
There's something so horribly tragic that in all their time together, Askeladd has pretty much become Thorfinn's father at this point.

Try as he might he actually cares for the boy now & worries that his quest for vengeance will leave him with nothing once he eventually dies.

This! This is what I fucking adore about this show so far. The character-driving nature of it is just so damn good and leads to the character relations being genuinely unique and multi-layered. Askeladd and Thorfinn have such an interesting relationship, despite being built off revenge, Askeladd has taught Thorfinn a fuck ton and even in this episode while he took jabs at Thorfinn, it still feels like there's an essence of genuine concern and the slightest bit of care in the way he talks to him because of how similar their pasts are. Man, what a good series, this is the kind of writing you don't get from other shows that love cramming so much in such a small amount of episodes, slow-burn stories like this really shouldn't be as overlooked as they are.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.