Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 28, 2019 2:34 AM
Apr 2016
I have been perusing forums as usual when someone asked "What is the worst animated series of its year", and I felt I should let everyone know.

I will now collect all the hate there will be - with the arsonist being in stable and non-threatening condition, all this anger has to be vented somewhere, at someone. Violet Evergarden is the worst animated Japanese series of its year. The reasoning transcends its medium alone - the impact on people transforms it from just a series, to the worst one.

What was it about? A child-soldier, a mild unrequited love-story, a lot of "connecting the hearts" motives and symbolism... and it all was so shallow. It was shallow, superficial, artificial to no end - the story selling emotions rather than a story. And yet, it was tremendously appreciated by the mass viewer. I do not blame them for appreciating it... I blame them for not seeing through it.

It was a prime example of what animation is slowly becoming - a beautiful product, produced to be consumed without ado and post-scriptum. The look through those beautiful pictures which do not require them to be invested, to activate their brain-cells even slightly - they are given emotional impulses right on the spot, when a dialogue, a scene happens. It is akin to a drug - when they are done, they will want more, but why, what was so good about it, they cannot say. Because there is nothing good about it. But it feels like it.

The audience is left with nothing more than they came with. If not less. The audience was VIOLATED! They were forced to feel through several methods, story-telling techniques, common tropes that were finely refined to server this very reason. To make the audience cry to feel the emotional bond with the characters, the story itself. But there was nothing else. I saw clearly through all of it - no depth, no attempts to present art, a conflict, to reason with the viewer or a concept. It was a "train of feels" as some call it. The technology enabled the studio to perfect this trade. The trade of turning nothing into a beautiful, outstanding, astonishing product, making a naive and unprepared consumer its slave.

What was the idea? What did it advocate for? What stood as its foundation?Love? Its presentation is rife with recycled tropes - never once they even talk about it, but they pretend it is all in the air, when they cry, when they remember each other faces. Or is it even love? If it is not, then what were they advocating for?Anti-war statement? The child-soldier subplot was rough and unnecessary... unbelievable as well, bordering fantasy rather than alternative-history realism. But to be honest, at times, when looking at her, imagining her fighting against soldiers, I felt I am being faced with someones twisted fantasy. About a teenage girl mass-murderer, "weapon" who comes in terms with her own existence through feelings that are never to be... On big screen. On air-time. Families seen it. I too felt violated, at times.Uniting the others, their hearts and emotions through letters? Numerous narratives like that existed before, even before the animation itself. But they never were received with such praise. Why is that? Technology. It turned something simple and mundane, long understood by the smallest sentient humans, into a fake profound symbolism. Everyone cried when she was writing them. She knew how to use the words. But... this is ingrained in the concept of letter itself. They took it and did... nothing. Except they animated it.

But why was it the worst one? Because it violated the audience in more than one way. It also clouded their perception, their prism through which they processed other series from then onwards. Beautifully drawn moving pictures, of almost unparalleled quality the industry - factually unable to become Art as literature, murals, paintings were back in the days. They now set the bar. Others compare series to Violet Evergarden. All well if they compare the animation department alone. But when they start looking for that... "fix" of emotional response, then they have been truly broken by this villain of a series. Series offers them concepts, ideas, discussion, self-reflection, philosophy and a morale. Offers them to think and consider. But it does not emotionally impact them as much, it does not make them want for more - and they denounce the series. They subconsciously put it underneath that masterpiece of Violet Evergarden. And now more than ever it is hard to stand up to him. The history will be conflicted over what it was - a miracle, or a design.

But before it becomes history, I beseech everyone to cleanse their prism of possible residue of Violet Evergarden, as you will not see, you will not experience the same thing you did during it. As long as art lives, as long as philosophies propel visionaries towards imbuing series, as long as mind overpowers matter - another Violet Evergarden will not happen. It is not a messiah. It cannot become an antichrist either.

Admittedly this is my third attempt to have a discussion. The first one got buried in one-liners from simple people who never understood what "critique" is or how to answer to one. I am not expecting much here either. I am going against a "mainstream" thing, which are known to gather armies of hollow protectors, who can not back up their malicious words with anything of the essence. See for yourselves.
Re:formed
Nov 28, 2019 2:24 PM

May 2014
If you think VE was the worst anime of 2018, then you probably didn't watch very much at all that year, since there are far worse things than it.
Nov 28, 2019 2:46 PM
Feb 2017
Ericonator said:
If you think VE was the worst anime of 2018, then you probably didn't watch very much at all that year, since there are far worse things than it.

Obviously he is of a higher caliber of critiquing, where we can’t even grasp what he is attempting to say. While we are simply playing in the 3rd dimension, he is viewing things from the 4th dimension.
Nov 28, 2019 2:50 PM

Jan 2009
damn all the old posts of this thread is gone

but anyway like i said in the past this kind of show is not realistic anyway since its not even hard science fiction or hard fantasy

and besides anime is about animation or visual storytelling so animation/visuals are very important
Nov 28, 2019 3:44 PM
Apr 2016
deg said:

but anyway like i said in the past this kind of show is not realistic anyway since its not even hard science fiction or hard fantasy

and besides anime is about animation or visual storytelling so animation/visuals are very important

Deg I can't feel my quality forum-using.
Watch someone report this as well with a hideous interpretation, and have it taken down by a gullible, power-abusing simpleton.
BlakexEkalb said:
Ericonator said:

Obviously he is of a higher caliber of critiquing, where we can’t even grasp what he is attempting to say. While we are simply playing in the 3rd dimension, he is viewing things from the 4th dimension.

You might have been trying to make a witty joke, but thank you.
--------
Either way the discussion happened and 1 out of 2 people actually tried to be decent and discuss properly. So thank you for that, no need to re-invent it here, the fate is still the same.
Daniel_NaumovNov 28, 2019 3:57 PM
Nov 28, 2019 9:07 PM
Feb 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
deg said:

Deg I can't feel my quality forum-using.
Watch someone report this as well with a hideous interpretation, and have it taken down by a gullible, power-abusing simpleton.
BlakexEkalb said:

You might have been trying to make a witty joke, but thank you.
--------
Either way the discussion happened and 1 out of 2 people actually tried to be decent and discuss properly. So thank you for that, no need to re-invent it here, the fate is still the same.

From what I have seen, most people don’t like reading posts with 4+ paragraphs as they’re too long when they could be looking at other stuff. If you say your point and then proceed to unravel your points to other people overtime you’d probably get more discussion about it. Not everyone is like this, but most are.
Nov 29, 2019 4:03 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
At least many in Japan would differ (6th Place).

But hey, you're free and entitled to think and say whatever you will. I didn't mean to bite there.

Just wanted to drop that to prove that most would disagree, considering the MAL score representing a significant fraction of the international fanbase is pretty high too.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 29, 2019 4:26 AM
Apr 2016
_MushiRock11_ said:
At least many in Japan would differ (6th Place).

But hey, you're free and entitled to think and say whatever you will. I didn't mean to bite there.

Just wanted to drop that to prove that most would disagree, considering the MAL score representing a significant fraction of the international fanbase is pretty high too.

MAL has next to nothing to do with Japanese viewer base. The rest of the world, maybe. Do not lump Japanese in.
Nov 29, 2019 4:54 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
MAL has next to nothing to do with Japanese viewer base. The rest of the world, maybe. Do not lump Japanese in.

Click on the blue text. You'll be directed to anikore.jp official website and then scroll down to sixth place. And MAL for the international bit.

Nov 29, 2019 5:25 AM
Apr 2016
_MushiRock11_ said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Click on the blue text. You'll be directed to anikore.jp official website and then scroll down to sixth place. And MAL for the international bit.

nanda kore wa yomeru koto wo dekimas
Oh wow 6th place. The world is a... gullible place.
Dec 20, 2019 10:52 PM
Apr 2019
You sound like you experienced all things in this world, but whatever everyone has right to speak. but hey i read through the end and I appreciate the writing
Dec 27, 2019 2:47 AM
Nov 2018
Y'all just overreacting this anime is great シ
Jan 3, 2020 1:32 PM

Jul 2019
You're right about that it left us nothing after finishing it, even emotionally which is what they offered the most. But the question is why do you think something that offers feels throughout watching as something bad (the fact that you said its the worst of 2018)? it does not always have to leave you emotionally with something whatsoever. Making you care enough about the character(s) is already good enough. But is that all? no. As you said the emotions/feelings were felt during the scenes and thats what makes it great

Also absolutely nothing wrong with an anime having a beautiful visuals. Nothing wrong with it as well being one of the points you should look at while reviewing something. Its an animation after all so it makes sense.

I respect your critique I thought it had some interesting rhetoricals but you're just nitpicking or asking too much of something that was never gonna give you what you wanted. Its very clear that story is about a girl learning about "what is love". Pretty simple and done well thats why some people love it. Many slice of life sucks because it just didn't make you feel anything, watching it feels more like a chore rather than enjoying it.
Jan 20, 2020 3:05 AM

Oct 2008
First of all, I'm afraid to say that opinions like yours are a dime a dozen and have, ironically, become a trope in and of themselves. Be it Clannad, AnoHana or Angel Beats, any show that tries to pull the heartstrings gets accused of being emotionally manipulative and shallow. Far too often have I seen people like yourself who deem themselves so enlightened that they feel that they must be the savior of all the stupid, blind audience members out there. This is problematic and fallacious in a myriad of ways, the most obvious of which is denying your fellow audience members agency and basic human respect.

Most importantly however, you yourself fail to realize that in thinking yourself the most enlightened, you are being the most blind. It's time to challenge your preconceptions about art. I could go into a lecture on semiotics and poststructuralism, but I don’t want to start sounding like an episode of Psycho-Pass. So, to make things simple, art itself does not have an objective measure of quality or worth. It is subjective and each audience member imbues it with meaning that is unique to his or her own experiences. This subjectivity manifests in two distinct ways, the way in which one determines what good art is and how one interprets the art in front of them. You claim that for a work to be good, it has to offer the audience "concepts, ideas, discussion, self-reflection, philosophy and a morale". Why? We all seek and value different things when it comes to art. Why should one person’s judging criteria be more valid than another’s?

Even if we assume your premise for what makes a good show, one can still easily argue that Violet Evergarden possesses everything you claim that it lacks. At its very essence, the show is about a girl who knew nothing of love learning about it by being forced to empathize with people from all walks of life. Though her experiences, we the audience are reminded of what it is like to be human. To share in their joy and their grief. To understand that everyone has their own struggles that they are trying to overcome. To value the importance of communication and the profound effect that empathy can have on someone. Take a moment to stop seeing fictional characters as mere tools (ooh, meta) or mouthpieces and see them as actual human beings. You'd be interested to know that many of these stories do indeed mirror reality. Predictable? Perhaps. Shallow, superficial, artificial? Certainly not. The emotions you experience from watching these stories and vignettes are as real and genuine as you want them to be. After watching this series, I myself have taken a look at my own life to see how I have been taking the people that I care about for granted. To be a little bit more compassionate. To be a bit more understanding.

Ironically, you who denounce this series so vehemently have the most to learn from it. Watch it again and learn how to empathize with others. To think about appreciating art from different perspectives. To realize that BOTH intelligence and emotions are fundamental aspects of what it is to be human.
ActarJan 20, 2020 3:15 AM
Jan 22, 2020 3:19 PM

Oct 2013
Don't know how i stumbled upon this thread so late, but i did, and here i am, to debate and stuff.

First of all, great way of putting it, and i totally get what you mean, i had a similar opinion, though maybe not as harsh and not for the all the same reasons. The part i disagree with mostly is violation, and setting standards. I don't agree with violation per-se, although i do agree to a degree - the empty emotional trip is quite disingenuous (short stories that flow too fast and milk the drama to the max, and even often reach a resolution), meaningless (to the main plot that is - the protagonist barely takes anything from them) and hollowing (you come and leave forever in a span of just one episode)... But then again most dramas are like that (if not as short), good and bad, especially those with a bad, sad, or open/unfinished ending, and that's exactly the point of the genre - to draw you in with emotion of bitterness, dread, sorrow, and bittersweet moments to think of what could have been. Which is why i'm not a fan of the genre, although i do appreciate a lot of works in it non the less, especially the more well made ones and those using it to send powerful messages (1984 for example, which is HORRIBLY grim, disgusting, grotesque, and is even written in the most dry, boring way and most boring language possible (due to the writer being a political journalist probably), yet the message it relays makes up for all of its flaws, shortcomings and emotional manipulation that is always a set in the genre, but especially this one).

The other aspect i don't agree with is setting the bar. Well, maybe you're right and some people WILL use it as a measure for other anime, especially emotion wise, but overall, aside the AMAZING production value it had, its great sound and picture quality, it was a rather hollow product, and, as far as i see it, will be forgotten, or rather already was, for the most part. And, unlike truly great pieces, it will face a different fate - to be broken down to elements, with which to compile a full picture of comparison and parallels in order to rate other products. So, those in hunt for hollow emotions who really bit the bait on this one, might take that component for them, but they, as far as i see, will more likely forget, or move on, as i said, their hunt is for hollow and quick emotion and teary stories, and that's not the lot that can appreciate things over a long period of time, and there's a constant barrage of their drug of choice anyway. Others, such as myself will take a measure of the art, music and production value, in order to set a standard on what's currently possible with a large, decent, or normal funding, and give honest scores to other shows in that aspect on the art element.

I had a lot of other beefs with the show, i've written my own review too, probably giving it a slightly higher score than i would now... But these where more around the nonsensical structure of the story, and its complete breaking and mismatch with certain elements. If i was writing it now, i'd also add a bit about the fleeting interactions, their unbelievability, and most of all, their hollow structure, being there (for the most part) as padding and a tear jerker in one package, while delaying the main story or pretending to give it depth, meaning, and slight progress, instead of actually sticking to the story of the girl who they chose to be the main character... Maybe they couldn't handle her, or there was too little to write about her alone? Who knows. Ah, and lastly, i mentioned her hands, but i'd double down on that element even more if i'd be writing the review now, along with how she lost them... That i think was actually the dirtiest move in all of it - not only did they make it graphic, disgusting, and emotionally destructive, for the obvious reason of creating shock value and quick, simple investment, but they also immediately cower out and 'fix' her body back to full function, giving her a convenient conversation piece and a way to shock and interest her future encounters, while COMPLETELY breaking the world setting (it being the only object of its type in this world)... Along with her maybe, who's somehow an absolute super human in this otherwise super realistic post ww1 world...

Any thoughts?
Jan 24, 2020 8:09 PM
Dec 2019
We all have our opinions.
Feb 2, 2020 7:33 AM

Apr 2018
mkzxwing said:
1984 for example, which is HORRIBLY grim, disgusting, grotesque, and is even written in the most dry, boring way and most boring language possible (due to the writer being a political journalist probably), yet the message it relays makes up for all of its flaws, shortcomings and emotional manipulation that is always a set in the genre, but especially this one.

Off-topic It seems absurd to criticize the work of George Orwell as if the experience that led him to write it did not matter. 1984 is a book that requires a lot of patience and analysis because most of all it is a representation of a "manipulated" and "repressive" society.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Feb 9, 2020 7:30 AM

Oct 2013
Rachiba said:
mkzxwing said:
1984 for example, which is HORRIBLY grim, disgusting, grotesque, and is even written in the most dry, boring way and most boring language possible (due to the writer being a political journalist probably), yet the message it relays makes up for all of its flaws, shortcomings and emotional manipulation that is always a set in the genre, but especially this one.

Off-topic It seems absurd to criticize the work of George Orwell as if the experience that led him to write it did not matter. 1984 is a book that requires a lot of patience and analysis because most of all it is a representation of a "manipulated" and "repressive" society.

Oh, but its not my criticism that his writing is dry and boring. I mean yeah, i think so too, but that's the opinion of most critics out there as well. And even if you think it was necessary, the fact is, it most definitely COULD have been written in a more palatable way, given to a dedicated writer, and not a news writer. Still, again, that barely matters in contrast to the message it sends, could have been written by a drooling idiot for all i care, i wouldn't think any less of it.
Feb 15, 2020 12:30 AM
Feb 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
I have been perusing forums as usual when someone asked "What is the worst animated series of its year", and I felt I should let everyone know.

I will now collect all the hate there will be - with the arsonist being in stable and non-threatening condition, all this anger has to be vented somewhere, at someone. Violet Evergarden is the worst animated Japanese series of its year. The reasoning transcends its medium alone - the impact on people transforms it from just a series, to the worst one.

What was it about? A child-soldier, a mild unrequited love-story, a lot of "connecting the hearts" motives and symbolism... and it all was so shallow. It was shallow, superficial, artificial to no end - the story selling emotions rather than a story. And yet, it was tremendously appreciated by the mass viewer. I do not blame them for appreciating it... I blame them for not seeing through it.

It was a prime example of what animation is slowly becoming - a beautiful product, produced to be consumed without ado and post-scriptum. The look through those beautiful pictures which do not require them to be invested, to activate their brain-cells even slightly - they are given emotional impulses right on the spot, when a dialogue, a scene happens. It is akin to a drug - when they are done, they will want more, but why, what was so good about it, they cannot say. Because there is nothing good about it. But it feels like it.

The audience is left with nothing more than they came with. If not less. The audience was VIOLATED! They were forced to feel through several methods, story-telling techniques, common tropes that were finely refined to server this very reason. To make the audience cry to feel the emotional bond with the characters, the story itself. But there was nothing else. I saw clearly through all of it - no depth, no attempts to present art, a conflict, to reason with the viewer or a concept. It was a "train of feels" as some call it. The technology enabled the studio to perfect this trade. The trade of turning nothing into a beautiful, outstanding, astonishing product, making a naive and unprepared consumer its slave.

What was the idea? What did it advocate for? What stood as its foundation?Love? Its presentation is rife with recycled tropes - never once they even talk about it, but they pretend it is all in the air, when they cry, when they remember each other faces. Or is it even love? If it is not, then what were they advocating for?Anti-war statement? The child-soldier subplot was rough and unnecessary... unbelievable as well, bordering fantasy rather than alternative-history realism. But to be honest, at times, when looking at her, imagining her fighting against soldiers, I felt I am being faced with someones twisted fantasy. About a teenage girl mass-murderer, "weapon" who comes in terms with her own existence through feelings that are never to be... On big screen. On air-time. Families seen it. I too felt violated, at times.Uniting the others, their hearts and emotions through letters? Numerous narratives like that existed before, even before the animation itself. But they never were received with such praise. Why is that? Technology. It turned something simple and mundane, long understood by the smallest sentient humans, into a fake profound symbolism. Everyone cried when she was writing them. She knew how to use the words. But... this is ingrained in the concept of letter itself. They took it and did... nothing. Except they animated it.

But why was it the worst one? Because it violated the audience in more than one way. It also clouded their perception, their prism through which they processed other series from then onwards. Beautifully drawn moving pictures, of almost unparalleled quality the industry - factually unable to become Art as literature, murals, paintings were back in the days. They now set the bar. Others compare series to Violet Evergarden. All well if they compare the animation department alone. But when they start looking for that... "fix" of emotional response, then they have been truly broken by this villain of a series. Series offers them concepts, ideas, discussion, self-reflection, philosophy and a morale. Offers them to think and consider. But it does not emotionally impact them as much, it does not make them want for more - and they denounce the series. They subconsciously put it underneath that masterpiece of Violet Evergarden. And now more than ever it is hard to stand up to him. The history will be conflicted over what it was - a miracle, or a design.

But before it becomes history, I beseech everyone to cleanse their prism of possible residue of Violet Evergarden, as you will not see, you will not experience the same thing you did during it. As long as art lives, as long as philosophies propel visionaries towards imbuing series, as long as mind overpowers matter - another Violet Evergarden will not happen. It is not a messiah. It cannot become an antichrist either.

Admittedly this is my third attempt to have a discussion. The first one got buried in one-liners from simple people who never understood what "critique" is or how to answer to one. I am not expecting much here either. I am going against a "mainstream" thing, which are known to gather armies of hollow protectors, who can not back up their malicious words with anything of the essence. See for yourselves.
The beauty of animation is the visual representation of a reality far from ours. If everytime you are experiencing an anime series you expect to be amused by its deep values or be taught philosophy, then you are the one that sets the high standards on an entertainment object. We can agree that the ways in which this particular series chained the audience are spectacular. I know from Cinematography studies, that the dramatic impact of the every bit in this anime, from reflections to color scheme to close ups to dramatic shots to non linear story telling etc not only caged the viewer but also awoke feelings deep inside the mind that not many series can do. If we cant call this impressive,I dont know what is.
Feb 15, 2020 6:48 PM
Dec 2012
I'd bother addressing this, if it wasn't some pseudo intellectual bait. It would be a waste of time to address something so stupid and evidently intended to bait, trigger some emotional response in a way even cheaper than what you allegedly denounced. Tl;dr: Bait post with farfetched arguments not worthy of the time op seeks.
Feb 21, 2020 4:15 PM
Nov 2019
I read through the entire thing. You literally said nothing. Nothing at all.

You claim it violated the audience. You offer no reason at all to back up your claim. No references, nothing.

You claim it has no depth, yet offer no reason at all to back up your claim. No references, nothing.

You simply say how a child-soldier subplot is unnecessary, without giving reasons as to why. No references, nothing.

You say the story being designed around emotional weight is bad without giving a reason as to why. No references, nothing.

You ask why others that have done similar things don't get the same praise, again, insinuating this is bad, but also ignorantly ignoring the very real possibility that some works do things better than others.

You say a lot with nothing in it. No substance to this critique at all. If you're going to critique something, which I will always implore people do, take your time. Find references and factual events to support your conclusions and present them in an informative and clear manor. What you've done here is nothing like that.
Mar 1, 2020 2:19 PM

Sep 2017
This is your third time making this thread OP? I think you need to chill a bit in that case. Obviously this isn't the most sophisticated show out there. It's like Steel Magnolias or My Girl, it's just a tear jerker. No need to get all offended over it and write mutiple essays about how mad you are that a piece of media manipulated your emotions for a few hours.
Mar 3, 2020 8:31 AM

Mar 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:

Unfortunately you have absolutely nothing on your profile to suggest anything better or even decent at all. I’m not sure why you’re doing this when you have no lists whatsoever sans the 4k forum posts. Sounds like you’re obviously trolling and trying to get at people’s nerves. If the philosophy of shows like Violet Evergarden was this shallow to you, then your standards, whatever they may be, are either unrealistic or hypocritical (likely both). Please don’t be that kind of person who spreads nothing but toxicity without shame.
Mar 27, 2020 2:02 PM

May 2016
Although the guy may be a troll, I have to say I am a bit disappointed as well.
The show wasn't bad or anything but I just expected it to be sadder? The only times I got really emotional was a tiny bit at the end, episode 7(where violet walks on water) and the heart shredder ending in episode 10. I was expecting a lot more than just about 3 parts honestly.
Apr 22, 2020 4:10 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017

And it's Number 1 on the site now! First ever anime to cross the 94 mark to my knowledge, as well.

https://www.anikore.jp/pop_ranking/

Apr 22, 2020 4:39 AM
Apr 2016
_MushiRock11_ said:

And it's Number 1 on the site now! First ever anime to cross the 94 mark to my knowledge, as well.

https://www.anikore.jp/pop_ranking/

Japanese are a gullible people, unfortunately. The score Kyoto Animation studio (and others before them) did on the industry makes it hard for them to stand up to hollow tear-jerkers. The culture of conformism also plays its part here.

The fact that it is "popular" does not justify the misuse of the audience. Rather, it is more alarming now that this is considered the pinnacle of "art".
Apr 22, 2020 5:57 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
Japanese are a gullible people, unfortunately. The score Kyoto Animation studio (and others before them) did on the industry makes it hard for them to stand up to hollow tear-jerkers. The culture of conformism also plays its part here.

Fact that the score for Violet Evergarden is so high here on MAL as well as in Anikore (as fate would have it) is an indication that it must've been exactly opposite to "hollow" for the majority however, don't you think?

KyoAni's track record in creating generation-defying shows for the medium over the years is definitely impressive but I doubt that's really it. They've made poor shows and have been highly criticized for it, leaving just one option - this is a good and well-received show, to say the least.

Daniel_Naumov said:
The fact that it is "popular" does not justify the misuse of the audience. Rather, it is more alarming now that this is considered the pinnacle of "art".

I understand that this is your personal opinion on the show so I have nothing to say in regard to this. Just that I, for one, and apparently a countless other people wouldn't mind that at all though.

Apr 22, 2020 6:59 AM
Apr 2016
_MushiRock11_ said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Fact that the score for Violet Evergarden is so high here on MAL as well as in Anikore (as fate would have it) is an indication that it must've been exactly opposite to "hollow" for the majority however, don't you think?

KyoAni's track record in creating generation-defying shows for the medium over the years is definitely impressive but I doubt that's really it. They've made poor shows and have been highly criticized for it, leaving just one option - this is a good and well-received show, to say the least.

Daniel_Naumov said:

I understand that this is your personal opinion on the show so I have nothing to say in regard to this. Just that I, for one, and apparently a countless other people wouldn't mind that at all though.

Which is exactly the point. Buying into a hollow tear-jerker, welcoming emotional manipulation from a commercial venture, refusing to reflect upon the aforementioned - a hazardous sign of the generation.
Just because you cry does not mean you are happy. At this point I am not even sure I should be saying this. You are supposed to realize this by yourself, at one point, to progress further.
Apr 22, 2020 7:14 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
Which is exactly the point. Buying into a hollow tear-jerker, welcoming emotional manipulation from a commercial venture, refusing to reflect upon the aforementioned - a hazardous sign of the generation.

If I'm not wrong, Human Drama has been a grossing genre of media for a long time now. Just like how Dementia is a mind screw, would you say that's an issue too?

Daniel_Naumov said:
Just because you cry does not mean you are happy. At this point I am not even sure I should be saying this. You are supposed to realize this by yourself, at one point, to progress further.

I'm not sure what you're trying to implying here but that really goes without saying. Violet Evergarden is not just about invoking tears and sobs for 24 minutes per episode, there're more than enough happy moments to balance out.

Apr 22, 2020 8:09 PM
Apr 2020
I haven't really seen people praising this anime as the ultimate art form, but then again, I've been living under the proverbial Internet rock, so I'm not too well-versed in what's liked and disliked. I do know quite a lot of people who absolutely adore Your Lie In April, another show I believe has been grossly overrated by the masses thanks to the "feels" that it delivers, so I understand where you're coming from.

Back to the main topic, I was quite disappointed by Violet Evergarden, because it promised the emotional growth of the main character, but as I see it, the only emotions Violet show are sorrow and a bit of love. I was expecting other nuances of sadness like despair and melancholy, but nope, all we get is unadulterated sorrow. Or perhaps other emotions like joy, disgust and pride? Not exactly present.

Most episode seemed to be designed as simple tear jerkers. There are side characters with tragic backstories (especially in the latter half of the show) so that Violet can feel sad for them. But that's it. No depth, no symbolism, just feels. Not saying that Violet Evergarden is a bad anime (In fact, I think it's average), but people think that it is a perfect anime with a great deal of depth, then too bad for them, I suppose. I've given up trying to explain how Your Lie In April is a horrible anime long ago, and it's the prerogative of others to view a mass-produced flower pot and claim that it is art.

On the other hand, I notice that the most upvoted review on this site is quite similar to yours, so at least we can take solace in the fact that there are quite a number of people out there who recognize that Violet Evergarden is like a painting of a flower, only considered to be beautiful because of its ornate framing.
Apr 25, 2020 1:22 PM

May 2010
What I find amusing is that the OP claims that this anime does basically nothing at all and his reasonings are basically just as empty as he claims the show to be.
I'm not trying to hate on you or your opinion but I sort of pity you for what you seem to lack any empathy at all.
There are various ways of entertainment - may it be action, humour, romance or drama. Just how life is entirely different in its essence. Speaking for myself I love working with words, I love handling with them. Language is a beautiful tool that was given to humanity. This show is actually managing to do something that has not been done often - it achieves to transfer emotion to the viewer in a very simple but fascinating way whilst being very deep at the same time.

Obviously it is by no means the worst or best show in xxx as that is simply not possible to decide anyway. You've chosen an agressive title in order to start a debate which has worked. In a similar way, this show is using very light means to produce effects for its viewers. You're sorta very similar. :-)

~ Love knows no boundaries ~ -- Thanks to -Luzifer- for the signature.
Apr 25, 2020 3:20 PM
Apr 2016
-Vid said:
it achieves to transfer emotion to the viewer in a very simple but fascinating way whilst being very deep at the same time.

This is simply false and it has been explained how it works its way through a shallow story, yet crafting the direction of the scenes and drawing the background/effects in a way to impose a "beautiful" picture.

Frankly, you are welcome to contest whatever others have to say. Me included. However, using "this is deep" as your only argument, after seemingly reading through my discourse, is humiliating and I cannot even reply to that properly.
Apr 26, 2020 3:08 PM

Nov 2012
You're wrong. I know it's your opinion and opinions are subjective but you are just wrong.

It falls flat in some areas but to call it the worst anime of its year is just wrong on so many levels. There are so many animes that have come out with bad editing, animation, writing, characters but if you honestly think violet evergarden falls in any of those categories than its you whos wrong, not the anime and the love this show has should be evidence enough in that.

Now, I love this anime, sure and I can accept critique of it but to watch it in its entirety and honestly call it the worst anime of the year just means you have bad taste, thats a fact.

It conveys its message quite well of hardship a soldier has, a very unique one at that, one who doesn't understand the meaning of the last words her caretaker told her, it conveys that well through the story. Is it wrapped up very suddenly in the finale and does the finale undermine her journey a bit? sure, no doubt but still, it conveys her journey through her work and understanding quite well.

Words are hard to express at times unless it overflows someone like the commander who wanted to leave this world letting Violet know that he loved her. But because there were his last words it was all the more important that she learn what they meant. What does it mean to love someone?

Her first letter, Luculia couldn't find the words to convey to her brother that she doesn't blame him for her parents death and that he was happy she was alive. The simplicity of her letter conveyed through violets letter reflects her small but significant growth as a doll.

The man writing a play to finish the story of his daughter, a daughter he can never see again and is left with her memories but violet learns through those memories no one is ever really gone, so long as you carry them with you even in memory.

And the biggest tear jerker of the entire show. Years after her mother is gone she will be reminded that her mother loved her so very much. Violet was able to feel that love with the end of each letter and it was enough for her to feel compassion for another and understand their feelings for one another.

It's a characters journey show where her emotions are her journey and each encounter is a small step in her understand others as well as herself.

All in all though, you have bad opinions.
Apr 26, 2020 3:21 PM
Apr 2016
mitchhamilton said:
You're wrong. I know it's your opinion and opinions are subjective but you are just wrong.

It falls flat in some areas but to call it the worst anime of its year is just wrong on so many levels. There are so many animes that have come out with bad editing, animation, writing, characters but if you honestly think violet evergarden falls in any of those categories than its you whos wrong, not the anime and the love this show has should be evidence enough in that.

You have clearly failed to fathom the point and the connotation of wrong I am using when addressing the issue with the series. As such I cannot consider the rest of your "reaction" to be of any worth, as you are reacting to the image inside your own consciousness, not to the arguments and explanations I provide. You will have to excuse me. I have enough superficiality to process as is.
May 2, 2020 1:37 PM

Aug 2018
I agree with dan. I dropped the show somewhere around the halfway point because it's emotional manipulation tactics were so obvious it was almost offensive.
May 10, 2020 12:15 PM

Dec 2013
Thanks to all this free time with the recent events I decided to give this show a try and man, I'm just not feeling it, it feels so artificial and curated, it clearly knows what it wants to make you feel but it just isn't doing it for me.

I know I'm going to rustle some feathers but it is the same exact reason with I can't stand (more so the recent) Pixar movies, they all feel so manipulative.
May 10, 2020 12:43 PM

Feb 2019
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and I can see where you're coming from. But I doubt it was the worst anime of the year, even if it is superficial, some series have nothing worthwhile even at face value.
Plus, I think it deserves some points for the art. Story and characters aside, when something is as beautiful (in my opinion) as Violet Evergarden, it does make it at least slightly more enjoyable.
No
May 19, 2020 3:01 AM

Feb 2020
Daniel_Naumov said:

You know you don't have the right to say any of this not having watched ANYTHING AT ALL? DO YOU KNOW THAT? I certainly hope you do and I despise you for this.
Olivi125May 19, 2020 3:07 AM

tysm iva-🐢💜

May 19, 2020 5:05 AM
Apr 2016
Deacon_Pipap said:
Olivi125 said:

You know you don't have the right to say any of this not having watched ANYTHING AT ALL? DO YOU KNOW THAT? I certainly hope you do and I despise you for this.

It's pretty obvious they just use this account as a commenting one to avoid having cyber stalking retards trying to find reasons to arbitrarily dislike them rather than listen to what they have to say

Thank you, that is about the reason I have an account on these forums - to participate in a level-headed, beneficial discussion.
May 19, 2020 5:25 AM

Feb 2020
@Daniel_Naumov what is wrong with you? Get a grip. Is this seriously your third thread about exactly this? I hope that's some bombastic misinformation, because your overreaction could compete quite well with that /possibly/ misinformation.

tysm iva-🐢💜

May 26, 2020 1:07 PM

Nov 2019
You just liked the show, but you're acting like a tsundere and you don't want to admit it.

But seriously, i agree with all your points. Tear-jerkers and Nakige(s) are one of the most toxic and shallow art forms ever created, I have yet to see one that really has an actual message behind it other than making you "sad".
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Sep 26, 2020 11:59 AM

Aug 2013
Daniel_Naumov said:
The audience is left with nothing more than they came with.

Yes, this is how could be a typical easygoing comedy anime but not a drama from Kyoto Studio. You made a good point about how harmful this anime is. To me it's on par with Elfen Lied which I despise because it's fully based on violent inadequate events which just can't leave a shocked viewer apathetic and also has this another "killing machine TM" MC which is also is cute SOMEHOW, so I became angry about it since it was trying too hard to manipulate me in a such rudely manner. Violet Evergarden is the same but in terms of drama, it's so obvious in its silly motives that you even know from the very first episode how anime will end and what actual scenes you will see, what words will be said. So I understand why you called this anime as worst, simply put it's because it was high budget crap with maneuvers to deceive a viewer instead of diligent honest work. But in other terms there are anime which are technically much worse but also have nothing to think about too except for plot holes and unbelievable self motives. To me even comedy anime make their little drama events much better since they always based on prehistory which you know fully and you are already in tact with characters.
Dec 22, 2020 10:08 PM

Sep 2019
PraiseTheSun123 said:
You just liked the show, but you're acting like a tsundere and you don't want to admit it.

But seriously, i agree with all your points. Tear-jerkers and Nakige(s) are one of the most toxic and shallow art forms ever created, I have yet to see one that really has an actual message behind it other than making you "sad".
Oh, I see. So art has its limits and that limit is sad art.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

617 by AMazingWay »»
Apr 22, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.