Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 9 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2019 1:28 AM

Nov 2015
Luxeraph said:

Most of the time she passes out and has to deal with a few days of fever because she has a frail body, but like she pointed out in episode 5 when she was about to give up and just die the fever she had at that time was different, as in she just willed herself to be healthy, which also happened on the first episode, when Urano took over she had no reason to feel discouraged so the fever caused by the devouring just went away(to the surprise of her family).

It's always been implied or even stated by the high priest and others that Main has a frail body because of the Devouring...at least that's how it seems to me. If these are two different issues then the anime has never clarified that. Every single thing in the anime has pointed to the Devouring being the cause of all of Main's physical problems.

And again, if the Devouring can literally be solved by just "wanting to get better" then why doesn't that work all the time? Main gets sick all the time even when she's working hard and is excited about her dreams and has hope. Why can't Main always get better, or is it only because plot lol?

This is just inconsistent. There are either some major things that need explaining and we will find that out or the writing is bad.

Or, Main has a frail body and also has the Devouring too. I'm fine with a two illnesses explanation.

But everyone who has knowledge so far has said that her passing out, etc., is because of the Devouring. Benno, Frida, the priest...

Just hoping we get more info.
Nov 28, 2019 3:38 AM

Mar 2019
Very good episode, Frida has the same illness...
As long as Maïn isn't sad as before I hope she'll be okay
Nov 28, 2019 6:35 AM

Nov 2018
Every time Maine says Otou-san, I love it.
The moment Benno said Frieda is like her dad, I imagined her to be like him look-wise with a broad stature and kinda fat, but I soon felt he just meant her personality.
And it sure is, more like she's two steps ahead. She looks cute though.
That final ornament looked pretty. Oh, Frieda has Devouring too. Looks like these two have more in common, well according to the analogy Lutz made. At least Maine got more details about what it is, and this also explains further why Maine and Frieda are alike in that way.
What a nice episode. This show continues to be solid.
Nov 28, 2019 6:47 AM

Jul 2017
With the papermaking business, and the patching up between Lutz and Main, all is set to progress further.

Onward to the Merchant Guild, think of it as like a government agency to register for stuff. The "old fart" Guild Master however, is a shrewd person as per the usual, and Benno seeks reprise by being cunning so that both of them at least can do business. WHAT'S BUSINESS WITHOUT UNDERHANDED TECHNIQUES??? Thanks for doing business HEH xD

Meeting the guildmaster's granddaughter Frieda is expected, but her aura emits the same as with Benno, which was surprising given that both her and her father (the guildmaster) lives on different mindsets. And to think that both Benno and Lutz has to capture back Main's thoughts TWICE, she sure has a knack for negotiation on equal terms rather than one of terms and conditions favourable to one and less of the other.

SO THAT'S THE REASON WHY: Frieda, like Main, has the Devouring, but while there's no cure, their obsession over the things they love IS THE ONLY WAY to keep them sane. Main's paper and books to Frieda's money. Minus the baptism.

Interesting episode, but then again, Main has to be cautious about her money-making business, surely this is the Merchant's quote to live by:
lihle808 said:
"If you can make money, make as much of it whenever, wherever and however you can", words for centuries.
Definitely words for centuries.
Nov 28, 2019 9:42 AM

Apr 2013
delta5 said:
Luxeraph said:

Most of the time she passes out and has to deal with a few days of fever because she has a frail body, but like she pointed out in episode 5 when she was about to give up and just die the fever she had at that time was different, as in she just willed herself to be healthy, which also happened on the first episode, when Urano took over she had no reason to feel discouraged so the fever caused by the devouring just went away(to the surprise of her family).

It's always been implied or even stated by the high priest and others that Main has a frail body because of the Devouring...at least that's how it seems to me. If these are two different issues then the anime has never clarified that. Every single thing in the anime has pointed to the Devouring being the cause of all of Main's physical problems.

And again, if the Devouring can literally be solved by just "wanting to get better" then why doesn't that work all the time? Main gets sick all the time even when she's working hard and is excited about her dreams and has hope. Why can't Main always get better, or is it only because plot lol?

This is just inconsistent. There are either some major things that need explaining and we will find that out or the writing is bad.

Or, Main has a frail body and also has the Devouring too. I'm fine with a two illnesses explanation.

But everyone who has knowledge so far has said that her passing out, etc., is because of the Devouring. Benno, Frida, the priest...

Just hoping we get more info.

Okay, let me explain how it works since you seem to have misunderstood the whole process.
Remember, that' s an imaged way to explain it so that it's easier to understand the concept of devouring.

Basically picture peoples that have magic in this world like having their body with a place to store a certain amount of magic, and that amount of magic raise over time (their capacity to store more can also raise over time as they grow up and gain "bigger" bodies, but let's ignore that for now, as the amount it can raise is limited and it raises way slower than the amount of mana, whic his the problem now). That magic container-like communicates with the body through a hole. As the amount of magic raises over time, if it's never used, it will reaches a point where it fills the container and start pouring out in the body through that hole. And magic pouring out uncontrolled in the body for too long damages the body, causing high fevers, coma, or even death at the result of it, are we okay until there?
There are two ways to stop it from pouring out, first one is the way Nobles do it, which is to empty a part of that container regularly through items, and the second that is the only one Maine can do now, that is to put a "lid" on that hole, and strongly maintain it so that even though the amount is increasing, it tries t opush its way outside but cannot go outside due to the lid.

that "metaphorical lid" exists inside them, and it's that person's WILLPOWER. The more the magic accumulates the stronger it pushes, so the higher the strength required to maintain that lid is, and therefore, the higher the willpower required is. Any failure to maintain that willpower will instantly makes the surplus of magic start to flow out and causes problems.

This is what Frieda explains here.
-so It doesn't matter if you're hard working or not, this has no relation with the whole business. What matters is a strong will, and what powers that up is up to the person, but usually persons with abnormally strong desires toward something or abnormally strong obsession of acquiring something will be more equipped than peoples that just have normal will. This is especially important since peoples that get bedridden all the time suffering their whole life will usually not get that much will to live and will to FIGHT AGAINST what is happening to them.

-So this is why whenever Main was about to give up she was hit by it. But since she is also frail and easily catch colds and easily get very tired, those are all also affecting her and weakening her ability to protect herself temporarily, hence why this is a cause as well.

- This also means that just maintaining a strong willpower is NOT ENOUGH TO GET SAVED. Because what you're doing is just keeping a firm grip on the lid and pushing it strongly, but on the other side, as the amount of mana stored keeps increasing, the pressure on the lid keeps increasing until it pushes stronger than the person's willpower.

So NO, willpower alone cannot save her. Willpower is what was the previous Main lacking and why she died at 5 yo, and why Motosu Urano is having a lot more than a normal bedridden child due to her obsession towards books (and that Frieda had a lot more as well due to her obsession towards gathering money ), but that's it. That's why she is alive NOW, but there is a limit to everything. Also, she's not protected against a short lack of willpower either being touched by a cold or a huge disappointment that should lower her strength on the "lid" just enough for it to cause a catastrophe.
And as the amount stored is more and more above what the maximum capacity of the container is, the more catastrophic any failure to maintain the lid for even a few seconds after a disappointment becomes.

Note that this whole fight with the lid and the magic trying to push outside is almost unconscious for the person doing it except if the person has been trained for years using magic, so for children, it will be all about being affected by the result of lowering willpower without realizing what this implies for their body.
ZefyrisNov 28, 2019 9:48 AM
Nov 28, 2019 10:24 AM

Nov 2015
Zefyris said:

Okay, let me explain how it works since you seem to have misunderstood the whole process.
Remember, that' s an imaged way to explain it so that it's easier to understand the concept of devouring.

What you're saying makes total sense. I definitely appreciate it. But keep in mind that, if you're just watching the anime, you don't know most of this. That's why I've been saying that I hoped for more info to be revealed in the anime. I feel like what you're describing is info that only a LN reader would know. It's not clear in the anime at this point.

Again, I was only saying that I wanted to know more because, just from what the anime has given us, it's not adequate to completely explain things. As it is, in the anime-only world, it's very confusing. I hope that there's additional info given before the end of the show (and obviously I'll be hoping for season 2 and am starting to rad the LN because I really enjoy this story).

Thanks again for such a great explanation of some of the complexities! It fills out my perspective on the Devouring.
Nov 28, 2019 2:53 PM

Oct 2017
Another great episode. Or two for me actually as I missed last week so saved it to watch two at once this week.

Main sorting things out with Lutz, making money and a new friend in two episodes! So happy for her. That her and Frida can relate through both having the Devouring is touching in a melancholic way.

Interested to see where this goes next. It feels like a lot has been settled in the last two episodes and the course of the plot seems pretty obvious from here on: Main makes more money through her "inventions" until she has enough to keep her Devouring at bay.

Not that the plot needs to do much in this. Despite the complaints of some people early on about the plot moving too slowly; for me, this has always been a nice comfy little SOL with a relaxed pace that doesn't need much plot.

Bumped my score up to a 9 for now. It will surely land at 8 or 9 by the end most likely, but with just how enjoyable this is being right now it feels like a 9.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Nov 29, 2019 12:29 AM

Oct 2017
Lol another money obsessed loli in this season. Thou Frieda is cute and damn she has the devouring too. I wonder if there's really not a way to cure it thou. Maybe if they can learn to control their magic power they might be saved.
Nov 29, 2019 4:26 AM

Feb 2019
Frieda is a pretty interesting character, though I'm concerned that such a young child is already obsessed with money lol
Nov 29, 2019 7:44 AM

Apr 2015
Benno is quite the tricky negotiator. but why is Myne unable to do the same! she's from our world, much more advanced than theirs!!!

and you wanna sell me the idea that she's a bookworm/booklover? a real booklover would have done what Benno is doing ages ago!
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Dec 1, 2019 10:27 AM

Oct 2008
wow! this episode is really really good!
everyone now wants to get Myne to work for them! that gotta be hard for Myne cuz of her frail condition and her continuous fortune gets her more than just a famous person!
5/5.

Dec 1, 2019 1:41 PM
Nov 2007
I almost skip on this one, but gave it a try after YouTube recommendation. The Ep 9 was awesome, but this show is awfully underrated and I have no idea why moderators closed the low score discussion.
Dec 1, 2019 5:17 PM

Sep 2018
Frieda is cute. Business minded people xD
Dec 2, 2019 8:34 AM

Dec 2014
hmmm they are growing so much together..I hope myne/Urano gets cured
Feb 7, 2020 9:47 AM

Jan 2016
Poor Frieda :x

No wonder her grandpa spoils her so much
Feb 24, 2020 9:24 AM

Apr 2011
Benno yelling at the two when they decided the 2nd ornament would be half the price is uncalled for. His voice and personality is a bit unnerving.

I think there's still hope in curing the devouring. I do agree with Lutz saying Maine and Frieda are cute but weird.
Apr 26, 2020 9:48 PM

Jan 2019
I still don't trust any adult apart from Maine's parents. Maybe I just don't like the way they talk to children.

This episode was more enjoyable to me than past ones, but I can't quite put a finger on why.

Lutz is still best boi for dealing with Maine's bullshit.
May 19, 2020 5:19 PM

Mar 2017
I got chills running down my spine hearing the explanation of "devouring" from the rich girl.

Asiding that she said it's incurable, isn't this, like, really close to depression? As long as you're motivated, the horrible thought that you got from depression will not do anything and if you've ever aimless, it will bite you.
Jul 12, 2020 2:17 AM

Jul 2015
Damn I have the same hobby as Frieda, the only difference is that I don't have any money to count....

Main and Lutz rise to the top is going pretty well, having friends in high places and stuff.

Jul 25, 2020 8:27 PM

May 2016
As a merchant daughter I should say it. You must not steal from customers, you must leave them satisfied so that they come back again, I suppose the author is not a merchant, after all only a mediocre merchant would try to earn as much as possible in a sale.
Mar 11, 2021 4:48 AM

Aug 2018
lol, that old man just wanted to recruit Myne himself.. ;P Well, merchants are really smart in this world.. ;P
Well, Benno says important thing, really.. If they indeed won't know price for their product, it'll be chaos on the market indeed.. It can bring many troubles to normal people.. Chaos on market isn't a good thing..
I wonder, if this world has mirrors, by the way.. If it doesn't Myne could invent one..
Hm.. So this illness really works as depression.. Well, as long as you're not depressed - it's not as bad.. But if you are - your body suffers as well.. So having goals, hm..
Sep 22, 2021 4:30 PM

Mar 2013
Now that Frida finally found a friend out of Myne, why does she have this solemn look of sadness?!
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Mar 8, 2022 8:47 AM

May 2020
The kids in this series sure are too cunning for their age lol, but yeah that's what I love about this. Frieda suffering from that same illness does make her and Myne similar in this aspect too unfortunately.
Apr 22, 2022 9:18 PM
Jul 2018
LastLuminescence said:
As a merchant daughter I should say it. You must not steal from customers, you must leave them satisfied so that they come back again, I suppose the author is not a merchant, after all only a mediocre merchant would try to earn as much as possible in a sale.

I don't think that is the author's opinion. I think that is simply Benno's opinion which lends to his characterization as a greedy man.
Jun 2, 2022 12:44 PM

Apr 2009
I liked Benno and Gustav's bantering over trade potentials and opportunities, heck Gustav's ready to poach Myne from Benno's employ! The granddaughter was actually worse as expected. And she's got Devouring too, and it's not actually a sickness so no cure, maybe it's just a condition that will kill you anyway, hmmm?

...and she's still making the mistake of belittling or perhaps oblivious until afterthought hit her of everything she had knowledge of from her previous life that is new or better in practice in this world, heck Benno already got the shampoo rights and he still insisted that anything they might make in the future are luxury goods since those are new, better and yes because scarcity drives the prices up, and you don't question the money that comes your way (hopefully dirty, blood, and all those money from shady sources hasn't come to this world yet!) and now Frieda pointed out her new embroidery technique. All of these because she was still on her old world outlook in a new world, and she just want her books.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 17, 2023 4:00 AM

Jul 2016
A disease that worsens when you aren't motivated? The Devouring would be terminal if I ever had it lol

Pleasantly surprised Frieda didn't end up being aome stuck up brat.
Oct 12, 2023 4:58 AM
Jan 2023
This episode was great! Myne and Lutz finally got money for the paper and they even were able to produce and sell hair ornaments to the guild master's daughter who very quickly tried to poach them from Benno. Turns out that Frida also has The Devouring and the only way to stay alive with it is to stay motivated. I'd be dead already if I ever had it lol.

I can't wait to see what happens in the next episode, it sure is going to be a fun one I would imagine.

More topics from this board

» Anime or manga

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 26

6 by Phoenix35 »»
Mar 29, 3:25 PM

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2019

74 by Paczek-12 »»
Feb 21, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2019

106 by Paczek-12 »»
Feb 20, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 25, 2019

188 by Kvistis »»
Feb 14, 11:52 AM

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2019

98 by kal_dev »»
Feb 2, 9:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.