Forum Settings
Forums

Should you re-rate series that you watched years ago?

New
Nov 4, 2019 6:19 AM

Mar 2016
Sometimes i find myself looking at my watched list and browsing down the list. Looking at my ratings. I change some of the ratings i gave recently. I believe with the addition of every new anime your taste changes and you rate things differently. So i dont have hard time changing my ratings of the animes that i watched in the past 12 months or so.

Things start to get difficult as i contemplate on what to do with the animes i watched 4-5 years ago. These are the first animes that i watched. Few have solid grounds because they changed me and my taste in anime so they deserve really high points even if they are not that good. But some of them, even if i remember i enjoyed the series, i find myself not remembering the plot and the bits that i remember are in all honesty is just an average anime. But they have high rating because its one of the firsts animes that i watched.

Yes coming to the problem, i know this is not the most important issue but i want to know what people think. Do you change your rating to these really old animes because in all honesty they are not that good or because they had that kind of importance to you back then you give them the honor to stay high in the ranking on your watched list?
Nov 4, 2019 6:34 AM

Mar 2018
The answer to this is one big YES. One should take his time to consider if the scoring pattern used in the past is still appropriate.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Nov 4, 2019 6:47 AM

Dec 2018
I often re-rate series. Generally if I liked an anime I will rate it higher than I normally would due to it being fresh in my mind.
Nov 4, 2019 6:53 AM

Jul 2011
Yes, I also did so twice. My taste has changed a lot over the years.

Nov 4, 2019 7:02 AM
Jul 2018
yes. sometimes when i finish a really good anime i would adjust my ratings relative to it
Nov 4, 2019 7:06 AM

Jan 2013
If I look back at some of the stuff I watched back then, a good 7 years ago (which was mainly ecchi stuff)
Yes for sure! - I know for certain that stuff wouldnt have been as highly rated as I did then, especially since now I know more about the tropes, how bad they were compared to stuff I've seen later on etc.

On the other hand, it's what you thought the score should be at that time, so maybe re-rate it if you rewatch it again, that seems fair.
Nov 4, 2019 8:59 AM

Aug 2016
I like to, I tend to compare my 10s, 9s, 8s, etc... so I end up changing some anime sometime if I feel I don't think they are as good as the other anime that are scored the same. Tends to happen more with series' that I've watched awhile ago since the more anime I put into the scores the more I realize what I actually think a certain rating is.
Nov 4, 2019 9:16 AM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
I think you can reanalyze whether your memory of it is deserving of the score you gave, and maybe you can skim through a few parts to help make sure you're making the right choice, but I would make sure to refrain from rewatching the whole series again.

In theory that's what you'd want to do but I think that's definitely a bad choice as the vast majority of shows are significantly less enjoyable the second time unfairly lowering a show's score (especially a show with big surprise twists or a show you rated a 10 which is a score that generally hinges on the magic you felt watching that show for the first time). It would unfairly lower a show'you watch them so it would unfairly lower the show's score. So whilst I do once a year look through my list recalibrating the scores a bit, I refrain from rewatching in full any of the shows that I do this for.
Nov 4, 2019 10:03 AM

Feb 2015
Re-rated my list once because I was harsh on my scoring. I'm considering doing a overhaul again on how my feelings about the series has held up over time as I based now mostly on enjoyment and consistency.
Nov 4, 2019 10:28 AM

Aug 2016
I go through my completed list multiple times a year and check if the shows still deserve the rating I gave them back when I watched those anime. And I find out, that they do indeed. Maybe my "taste" does not change at all, idk. I re-rated only two anime over several years.
Nov 4, 2019 10:30 AM

Jul 2007
Unless I rewatch it I'm not going to remember something I watched 10 years ago well enough to reliably re-score it. I trust my taste.
Nov 4, 2019 10:33 AM

May 2019
The basic rule of scoring is that when you give two series the same score, you're saying they're in the same tier. If you consistently find that you don't consider old 7s, for example, to actually be in the same tier of new 7s, then your tastes have changed and you should readjust.
Nov 4, 2019 10:48 AM

Jan 2009
You can re-rate things, but you don't have to. After all, people who review a product for their job also don't change their previous reviews. I understand reviews, scores and every writing in general as a snapshot of the mindset at the specific time.
Nov 4, 2019 11:16 AM

Oct 2010
Sure, I usually scroll through my list at least once per year to adjust my ratings. My opinions on shows I watched a long time ago often change over time as I watch more anime. I may decide I didn't give something enough credit or vice versa.
Nov 4, 2019 11:21 AM
May 2016
Yeah, I've rerated without really rewatching. my first anime, yuru yuri, 4 years ago, I used to give it a 9, if I remember correctly; now, I've given it a 6.

now that I think about it, a 6 is a little too low, I think...
Nov 4, 2019 11:45 AM

Jun 2008
I don't. Though sometimes I do look back and wonder what I was smoking when I rated some shows.
Nov 4, 2019 12:02 PM

Jun 2015
Not unless I re watch em and the latest watch makes me feel otherwise.

otherwise

aint nobody got time for that
Nov 4, 2019 1:19 PM

Nov 2013
I randomly skim my list and might assign new numbers I feel are more accurate to my current taste.
I can't remember everything, but I can remember certain things that wouldn't be acceptable to me now or a big turn off, or even sometimes things of merit I didn't properly get before that might come to mind.
These changes are minimal for the most part.
It's just a lot of school melodrama that tends to go down.

I can see you

Nov 4, 2019 1:22 PM

Mar 2015
YES! For me it's because I watched a lot of them at a different age, and at a different stage of life, my perspectives, thoughts opinions and understanding were all different... so yes if you rewatch a series you watched years ago you can change the score and that's exactly what I did.
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Nov 4, 2019 2:28 PM

Jan 2009
i did that a month ago like i see a lot of very good 8/10 scores on my list like to me its losing its meaning already as my list grows so im being a little more critical now and following the scoring descriptions here on MAL
Nov 4, 2019 3:47 PM

Mar 2019
Scud said:
Unless I rewatch it I'm not going to remember something I watched 10 years ago well enough to reliably re-score it. I trust my taste.
Do you rewatch Hidamari Sketch often though, or did you grow out of that phase?

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 4, 2019 4:56 PM

Oct 2014
Definitely. Everyone should keep their scores up to date. The more anime you watch, the more your taste comes into its own. With experience comes development. The same applies with any other media like music, art, cinema, or literature. Age is another defining factor that affects your thinking. Change is only natural with more experience and age. Generally, anyway.
PyroNov 4, 2019 9:31 PM
Nov 5, 2019 1:21 AM
Aug 2016
I rarely go to my completed list and I don't care so much about the ratings, so I won't bother doing anything about it.
Nov 5, 2019 7:01 PM

Nov 2010
I change mine from time to time, if I can remember enough of it to score it.
If I loved something in the moment and rated it high, I should still love it years from now if it's truly good enough to remain at that rating.
I don't care if nostalgia is doing all the work, as long as I still love it.
Nov 5, 2019 7:58 PM
Mar 2018
If you rewatch something, & your opinion on it changes. You should absolutely change the score to match your overall feelings

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

30 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

32 by Spunkert »»
10 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

12 by LoveLikeBlood »»
23 minutes ago

» What anime character would make a good villian in Courage The Cowardly Dog and why?

vasipi4946 - 10 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

29 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.