Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 7, 2019 6:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, this seems okay but the amount of characters will take me some time to get used to. Their world has otherworldly monsters and it didn't surprise me that the characters fought them like a video game.

In fact, this anime itself feels like a game with the characters having their gear and abilities. A lot of action from this first episode though.
Oct 7, 2019 7:28 AM

Nov 2007
It seems like OnoD's character is special. and Shimono-san's character is another one of survivor in newbie team.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 7, 2019 8:06 AM

Apr 2010
I expected something different from the first season and this episode didn't disappoint.
There wasn't any connection at all to the first season from what i can tell.
So far it looks interesting.
The unit being almost wiped out and the action going on has some promise but i wonder what to expect from the blond guy.
As i see it now he has a death flag but they could leave him alive for a while as well.
Oct 7, 2019 8:16 AM

May 2015
People will treat the other season as the first and this as the second (the reverse according to MAL) the other is just a spin-off/alternative version
Oct 7, 2019 8:28 AM
Mar 2016
wtfminiknano2 said:
People will treat the other season as the first and this as the second (the reverse according to MAL) the other is just a spin-off/alternative version

"The Animation" is just a "side story" happen a few months after this "Episode Oracle" end, Earth is actually located on different universe and the actual explaination of "The Animation" plot is in the game..

mickbisOct 7, 2019 8:34 AM
Oct 7, 2019 8:39 AM

Oct 2017
The op was meh imo and the animation is pretty decent. This whole episode was pretty much predictable but this is just the start and I'm interested in this series, so let's just wait and see what happens.
Oct 7, 2019 8:46 AM
Sep 2015
I don't understand what's going on, do I need to play game or watch other season? What's the girl that suddenly appear and destroy my Ash/Afin's aibo relationship? Is Gettemhult Zeno's ex-boyfriend? Is this anime has real death or they'll respawn just like any online game?
Oct 7, 2019 8:50 AM
Mar 2016
phantomfandom said:
I don't understand what's going on, do I need to play game or watch other season? What's the girl that suddenly appear and destroy my Ash/Afin's aibo relationship? Is Gettemhult Zeno's ex-boyfriend? Is this anime has real death or they'll respawn just like any online game?

There no need to play the game as this is suppose to be Tutorial and Introduction Chapter combined togethers.

and yes it real death

How it connect with others season plot is within game spoiler territory
Oct 7, 2019 8:56 AM

Nov 2009
phantomfandom said:

No need to play the game, more will be revealed over time through the story, some things are supposed to be a mystery after all. ^^

And yeah, real death, despite the "Online" name in the title, the story itself doesn't take place in a game like world.
Oct 7, 2019 9:06 AM

Jul 2014
Mc is about to meet the matter board hell, good luck and have fun running around Forest/Desert/Sea Exploration...
Oct 7, 2019 9:17 AM
Apr 2016
The opening sequence sucked, as such I deemed it futile to hope for anything and did not go any further. Another waste of resources. And Aimee, oh Aimee you disappointed me. Do not do that again please.
Re:formed
Oct 7, 2019 9:45 AM

May 2018
Ok, so who was this Ash guy and why can he detect a falspawn very quickly????
Oct 7, 2019 9:53 AM

Nov 2009
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Ok, so who was this Ash guy and why can he detect a falspawn very quickly????

Because he's the main character. :D
Just joking, stuff like that will be revealed eventually. ^^
Oct 7, 2019 11:31 AM

Sep 2015
Gentlemen, the series will have 25 episodes. The questions will be answered in time lol
Oct 7, 2019 11:41 AM

Apr 2017
this will be good m8 ~~
just wait for the boss fight ~~ :D
Oct 7, 2019 12:19 PM

May 2018
This is actually pretty good, kinda reminds me of Starship Troopers
Oct 7, 2019 12:42 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm quite the impressive opening. Just as it tests reaction speed seems the training also aims to tease out decision making as well. Things sure got real for the training class in dramatic fashion on the planet though. Zeno and Echo sure arrived in the nick of time though. The contrasting attitude between Echo and Zeno though sure was amusing. Seems ARK also has problems with arrogant members as well. Overall a strong first ep that while slow paced focused on lore expansion while building up the main characters. Im curious to see what Matoi will bring to the story though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2019 1:22 PM
Jun 2014
Aversa said:
I expected something different from the first season and this episode didn't disappoint.
There wasn't any connection at all to the first season from what i can tell.

Yeah there is. Basically the previous anime was based on events of Episode 4 but showed them from the earth/anime side, whereas this anime should be a straight adaptation of Episode 1-3 as they were in-game.
Oct 7, 2019 2:37 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Story and characters are interesting for the moment.
The animation and the monsters are cool too.
Good episode.
Oct 7, 2019 2:50 PM

Jun 2016
Seems far better than the first season, different story, characters and setting, the only character I miss from the previous series is Aika.
Oct 7, 2019 4:47 PM

Jul 2014
This anime has no relation what so ever with "The Animation". The other anime was made to go along Episode 4 of the game, which was lead by a new director at the time and had a really different vibe than the one that made Episode 1-3. This anime is an adaptation of 1-3, so it's best to forget about "The Animation".

TLDR: Episode Oracle is canon, The Animation is a spinoff

Youtube Channel: AlphaBlob | PSO2 Veteran and Disgaea fanboy
Oct 7, 2019 9:16 PM

Apr 2017
Franz79 said:
Seems far better than the first season, different story, characters and setting, the only character I miss from the previous series is Aika.

yeah no aika in this season .. xD
but it's will cover to episode 3 soo will they add new race..?
Oct 7, 2019 11:08 PM
Apr 2015
Ughhhh I want to go all out after seeing the comments posted here. I want to explain all the confusion happened when you're watching the PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 : EPISODE ORACLE - EPISODE 1 ARC - episode 1. But, Its entirely spoiler if you didn't join the game.

Its like monogatari series, you will be confused at first, because the silent explanation, introducing massive information to your brain so your brains overloaded after watching episode 1.

The step to understand Phantasy Star Online 2 is to watch :
1. PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 : EPISODE ORACLE till the end.
2. PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 : THE ANIMATION

I thought, people would figure it out because the high rating of monogatari series, even if it is confusing.
So, please relax and wait for the next episodes, there are too much much much hidden plot.
Someone help me, I can't stop the hype for Hello's ending theme in the last episodes (EP25) !
SmitsarsOct 7, 2019 11:18 PM
Oct 8, 2019 12:26 AM

Apr 2012
Looked cool but the fact that they are playing a video game makes it kind of meh.
Like, 'they are not in the ARKS database' just makes me thing they are from a different server, and how the monsters killed every1... they can just respawn.
If u told me it was some kind of isekai i would get it.
I guess it will make sense in future episodes and how it connects with its sequel.
Oct 8, 2019 12:39 AM
Mar 2016
Xaralabos13 said:
Looked cool but the fact that they are playing a video game makes it kind of meh.
Like, 'they are not in the ARKS database' just makes me thing they are from a different server, and how the monsters killed every1... they can just respawn.
I guess it will make sense in future episodes and how it connects with its sequel.

Well...previous anime clearly state later on that it not video game
mickbisOct 8, 2019 12:43 AM
Oct 8, 2019 12:50 AM

Jan 2013
Xaralabos13 said:

They are not playing a video game and it isn't an isekai. It's real life for every one of the characters.
Oct 8, 2019 1:00 AM

Nov 2009
Xaralabos13 said:

Nah, they're not playing a game, while "pso2 the animation" does take place after "pso2 episode oracle", "the animation" was just a side story.

In PSO2 (the actual game), after the events that are going to happen in this new anime, there's a 2 years time skip. The previous anime took place during that time skip.
Connecting between the worlds in this new anime and the earth in the previous anime only became possible during that time skip, so it's unlikely there'll be anything connecting the 2 animes (maybe at the very end there could be a reference to the previous anime, I guess).

The connections between the previous anime and this new anime will be more important if this new anime gets another season though.
Oct 8, 2019 1:25 AM

Dec 2016
Really nice to see this back again.

I really enjoyed the 1st episode.

New arc, new characters and new mystery.

Very dark start as well, quite the massacre to begin things off with, definitely separated itself from the original series by doing that.
Oct 8, 2019 5:47 AM

Aug 2013
Xaralabos13 said:

No this is pretty much the real deal. Earthlings only thought of it as an online game because the PSO2 game is literally a magical portal to forcibly insert their oc donut steels into the ARKS's world.
Oct 8, 2019 6:37 AM

May 2012
This way better than other Phantasy Star that I watched long time

More serious and darker. I was surprised when I saw people getting killed and beheaded
Oct 8, 2019 11:25 AM

Oct 2018
Oh boy, the nostalgia.

I thought watching just 1 episode won't make me feel wanting to come back and play the game again, but it did just that.

Can't really say I like the OP theme, but the ED is quite good with all the female characters in it. Can't waaaait to see the Hadred Arc get animated.
Oct 9, 2019 12:33 AM
Oct 2018
Interesting episode. I thought this gonna be boring like The Animation one. Just one thing, hopefully this won't turned into yaoish anime between black haired MC and that yellow haired guy (like in Tales of Zestiria).
Oct 9, 2019 5:03 AM

Aug 2013
damn the nostalgia man
I used to play pso2 sea when still at lvl40 cap..
so excited to watch the next one
Oct 9, 2019 6:11 PM

Mar 2009
Shitton of characters to remember in the first episode. Though it helps that quite a few were killed off immediately.
Oct 10, 2019 12:15 AM

Apr 2013
"Naverius"... it triggers me when they say it wrong.
Oct 10, 2019 6:23 PM

Jun 2013
whoa this was more darker than the other Phantasy Star Online
Oct 10, 2019 9:37 PM
Nov 2015
It seem many people here did not watch the season one of this anime.
Oct 10, 2019 10:49 PM
Feb 2018
redcobra said:

And they actually don't need t watch it. "Season 1" as you call it takes place after EP3. This Anime is Covering EP1-EP3. "Season 1" is a prequel to EP4 and Ash does not appear in that at all.
Oct 11, 2019 1:13 AM

Nov 2009
redcobra said:

Thankfully they don't need to watch it, this season takes place before the other season.
The other season was also just a side story, the new season is the main story of PSO2.
Oct 12, 2019 6:36 AM
Apr 2017
Episode Oracle is so far a bit darker than the actual game. The Muse Asia translation got Naberius and Darkers better than the Funimation one, so...

I do like how they managed to make an Oodan so menacing... before throwing in the Falspawn in Naverius. Makes the episode a bit more intense. The intro is, IMO, greatly animated. Runblebee's probably no Shoji Meguro, but at least this is a great attempt. They should've brought the person singing Endeavour (from IDOLA: Phantasy Star Saga) instead of Aimee, but she did a great job before in the series (anyone remember Living Universe from Phantasy Star Portable 2?), and she did her best here.

Overall... great start! Can't wait for the other episodes.
Oct 12, 2019 10:35 AM
Jan 2019
A brutal and interesting start. I thought the story would revolve around a game, but I was surprised that it was of the space genre type. A protagonist who does not remember his past, the fight against monsters called Darkers, and a space fleet of warriors made up of 3 races ... sounds interesting, I will give him a chance.
Oct 12, 2019 10:39 AM

Nov 2009
Eddsworldftw11 said:
They should've brought the person singing Endeavour (from IDOLA: Phantasy Star Saga) instead of Aimee, but she did a great job before in the series (anyone remember Living Universe from Phantasy Star Portable 2?), and she did her best here.

More recently, Aimee also did a great job with singing the theme for a PSO2 boss released last May. ^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLr2_tm3fZg
Oct 12, 2019 6:21 PM

Nov 2007
When you were expecting a sequel to last season and get a prequel... kinda disappointing but still happy to see a PSO2 series.
Oct 12, 2019 8:34 PM
Mar 2016
Shadow_Strider said:
When you were expecting a sequel to last season and get a prequel... kinda disappointing but still happy to see a PSO2 series.

Episode1-3 ( This anime ) is actually what made PSO2 story good and Earth arc (The Animation and Episode 4) is where the story at its weakest.

The Animation is the side story with little Oracle universe involvement and is basically what ARKS did for a decade.

While Episode 4 is treat as an introduction chapter with MC shift to Earth teenager girl and Ash playing support role.

Itsuki and Rina roles already end once The Animation finished but Aika still does as she is part of ARKS ( Rina and Aika have one scene each0 dedicated to them in Episode 5 and those scene is funnier if you watch the animation)
mickbisOct 12, 2019 8:42 PM
Oct 13, 2019 1:50 PM

Aug 2018
Seems like it's alright.
Oct 14, 2019 8:36 AM

Mar 2019
This ep was OK, monsters are good but characters aren't really original.
Entertaining tho
Oct 14, 2019 10:44 AM

Mar 2019
Surprisingly decent, i dropped the other series like a rock but this seems ok, reminds me to an early 2000's anime. Good while the game finally comes out in the west.
Oct 17, 2019 3:41 AM
Mar 2012
cant believe i rated previous trash at 6/10.
Here cg monsters are better, nice ships, characters a bit confrontational but are alright. Oh Matoi's back.
Felt blond kid would be first to die but lol he lives.
Newman... like newtype?
Mecha's a race now?
Zeno's a cool senpai. Ash's not showing much for mc yet.
Hanazawa voicing the green hair?
Oct 17, 2019 4:59 AM

Nov 2009
gophercg said:
Hanazawa voicing the green hair?

Yeah, and there's another character that she also voices in the 2nd episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2019

15 by Mega_Battle_Zero »»
May 27, 2023 4:03 AM

Poll: » Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2020

30 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 5, 2021 10:27 PM

Poll: » Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2020

10 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 5, 2021 9:41 PM

Poll: » Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2020

18 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 5, 2021 9:28 PM

Poll: » Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2020

14 by Abyhape »»
Apr 22, 2021 10:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.