Forum Settings
Forums

Do u normally see an anime when it starts airing or u wait till it's finished to watch it all in 1-2 days?

New
Oct 6, 2019 5:35 AM
Jul 2018
Hi, yesterday started airing some animes that I've interest on seeing and I watched its first episode .... I would like to know what do u normally do when an anime that u've interest on starts airing... do u start watching the anime when it's still airing or u wait till it finishes and watch it in 1-2 days sprint? I've asked this question because I'm afraid that I will forget parts of the story when it stops airing ( because it's only 1 episode per week ).. by the way Sorry for my bad english.
Oct 6, 2019 5:38 AM

Jul 2019
I watch while it's still airing! I don't mind waiting a week for each episode.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Oct 6, 2019 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
yeah, this time I will watch while it's still airing I think the hype is bigger this way... and I think that I might remember better the story if I don't watch a 12-24 episodes anime in 1-2 days..
Oct 6, 2019 5:44 AM

Apr 2016
I usually watch them while they’re airing. Sometimes I watch some series I lost the previous seasons.
Oct 6, 2019 5:53 AM
Jul 2018
yeah it seems that a lot of people watch the animes while they're airing.. I asked this question because for example 1 anime with 24 episodes takes 24 weeks to end... because it's 1 episode per week.. and I was afraid that I was going to forget the all story while I was still watching it..
Oct 6, 2019 5:53 AM

Nov 2016
Depends on anime if its sequel of any anime I cant wait 2/4 months to watch it so Im watching it weekly.
If it's new anime then always start watching when it's finished because watching it weekly decreasing my enjoyment of it.
Oct 6, 2019 5:56 AM

Mar 2015
I prefer the latter, it's a much better viewing experience.

However, slice of life anime are sometimes best viewed week to week.
woah there
Oct 6, 2019 5:57 AM
Jul 2018
I do both, it depends on if it's a sequel to something I already like for example or if it's a new seasonal. I proabably won't watch a new seasonal weekly, But I will watch a sequel weekly.
Oct 6, 2019 6:47 AM
Jul 2018
thanks for ur answers, this fall season I'll watch the sequel of BNHA, Nanatsu no Taizai, Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai!, SAO and shokugeki no soma plus I will watch some of slice of life anime that started this season.. hope I will be able to not forget about any of the important details of all those animes!
btw @Acqsu good pic Rin Toosaka is definitely a goddess!
Oct 6, 2019 6:53 AM

Jul 2017
I can't bear waiting a week for an episode so I just wait until it's done and then watch it at my own pace
Oct 6, 2019 7:12 AM

Jun 2019
I used to wait till the end of the season and watch a show all in one go, but for the last couple of seasons I've been trying a new method. I wait a few weeks into the season before I start watching newly airing shows, and that's for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I personally prefer watching dub versions, and they normally air 2/3 weeks after the initial subbed version, so I will sometimes wait until the dubbed version starts before beginning to watch it. Additionally, I've found that it's better to watch the first few eps (1-4 eps) in one go as it gives me a better grounding in that show, and gets me more invested in that show. When I watch just one 25 min ep per week it can be harder to get emotionally involved, for me anyway.

Lastly, after shows have been airing for a few weeks you can get some useful input and recommendations from people who have been watching from the beginning, and it can give me an idea of what to expect, and maybe give a show a chance that I had initially dismissed. For Summer 2019, I picked up O Maidens In Your Savage Season, Astra Lost In Space & Sounan Desu ka because of recommendations (I have to give anituber Misty Chronexia credit here for 2 of those recommendations) & they ended up being shows that I really enjoyed, more so than some other shows that I expected to enjoy more, and were my first choices.

So I've come to realise that for me it's useful to give a wide variety shows a chance (just watch the first few eps & if I don't like them then just drop it), not just those genres that I usually watch.
Oct 6, 2019 7:15 AM

Mar 2019
Watch it when its airing, sometimes I'll watch it after its all aired but the temptation sometimes is dumb thicc
Oct 6, 2019 7:40 AM

Dec 2018
ill watch it till its finished... hehe <3
Oct 6, 2019 8:01 AM
Feb 2017
It honestly depends. Sometimes I’ll wait until they’re finished, but I predominantly watch while it’s airing. Some shows I just can’t watch one episode a week, as it’s just more enjoyable watching it in a few long sittings (tbh most shows are). A recent example would be KnY, as I can see it being much more enjoyable binging it rather than watching it weekly. However sometimes I just can’t wait to binge it, with examples like AoT S3P2 and the upcoming MHA S4 (I’m so hyped I’m dying).
Oct 6, 2019 8:08 AM
Jul 2018
@BlakexEkalb I can't wait as well to watch MHA S4 i'm so hyped! I'm hyped as well for the new season of SAO and Nanatsu no Taizai
Oct 6, 2019 8:12 AM
Feb 2017
shdz said:
@BlakexEkalb I can't wait as well to watch MHA S4 i'm so hyped! I'm hyped as well for the new season of SAO and Nanatsu no Taizai

I get down with Alicization too. Much better than the first 2 seasons.

Not so much with 7DS. The 2nd season butchered Ban’s screen time and that movie... was pretty boring and bad.
Oct 6, 2019 8:16 AM

Dec 2015
Around the time I created my profile here, I watch season as it arrived but sometimes I lost interested in the show as I already watched something I liked better.

But I keept this up to around 2 years ago when I started to watch season when they are finish arraving. And normal I watched a huge amount of season stuff too.

Atm I like it more to watch everything over 1-2 weeks period time.
And watch as much as possible too.

Oct 6, 2019 8:57 AM

Aug 2011
I watch while they're airing. I would say I've watched at least least 90% of the anime on my list like this. Some people really prefer to wait until they're finished, and I understand why someone would, but I really enjoy watching the episodes once a week as they come out. I like looking forward to my favorites week-to-week, and I like that it forces me to slow down and take my time with a series, instead of blowing through it. Plus, I don't think I could stand waiting months for a series I was excited about to completely finish airing to start watching it; I want to start watching it as soon as I can.
Oct 6, 2019 9:07 AM

Feb 2013
1-2 days??? im not speedy gonzales
i take 1-2 months at the very minimum
Oct 6, 2019 9:10 AM

May 2018
I have tried watching anime shows when they're airing, but I almost every time just leave them after like 5 episodes and finish them months later after they're aired. I have managed to watch some shows while they are airing but it's very rare.
Oct 6, 2019 9:16 AM

Mar 2012
I prefer keeping up with ongoing anime as and when they air so in best case scenario I watch them weekly but unfortunately I don't get much time to watch anime because of my job and at the same time I also watch a few non-seasonals so I end up being a few episodes behind :(
Oct 6, 2019 9:32 AM
Mar 2019
Weekly if its airing. And if its finished i watch like 6 eps a day after that i get bored. But weekly is better but also doesn't like to wait that long 😟
Oct 6, 2019 9:40 AM

Nov 2016
Depends on the day the episode is released, I usually like to watch 2 or 3 episodes together from airing animes, so I just wait 2-3 weeks to watch something trying to avoid spoilers. I watch the first episode the day that it is released.
Oct 6, 2019 9:47 AM

Oct 2017
I made a similar post asking what different appraoches people have to seasnal anime here:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1802873

As for your concern about forgetting details OP, I totally relate.

One season I even tried rewatching the previous weeks episode every week before watching the new episode. But that had many problems.

Some people will claim they remember everything about the previous weeks episode. I call bullshit. There are also people that claim they have an objective taste in anime and that they aren't influenced by the opinions of others.

People claim a lot of bullshit on forums.

But of course, with some shows it isn't really that important how much one remembers week to week. Where the plot is really straightforward, comedies, SOL and the like, or where each episode is it's own story (episodic anime, as opposed to serialized).

But there is another factors that I think is even more important than how much one remembers of the previous episode: Immersion in the the atmosphere of a show.

When a show relies on building a really compelling atmosphere, it will take a bit of time to really get immersed. For me, it might take half an episode. Sometimes more. So with some anime, I've had barely any time to really get in the mood, and then the 25 mins is over. But when I have several episodes to watch at once, I can go straight in to next episode already completely immersed. This is a huge deal for ones enjoyment of some shows.

I don't really recommend binging entire seasons though. There is a sweet spot that depends on the anime, but I rarely watch more than about 4 episodes at once, 5 at the very most.

With all that in mind, how I've appraoched seasonals has changed every season for a while now.

I tried to watch everything weekly for a while.

Then I decided I'll wait until the end of the seaosn and not watch weekly.

Then I decided I'd watch the first episode of everything and choose based on that what I will watch weekly and what I will wait for. That was my appraoch last season. But it has it's problems. The first episode is a huge deal. It can really hook you in. If you watch the first episode and then wait three months, any sort of excitement you might have had will have faded. A much better experience would be getting excited and then being able to go straight in to the next episode while the hype is fresh.

So this season I'm being very picky about what I watch the first episode for. If it looks even vaguely plot-heavy, or atmosphere-heavy, am I not even watching the first episode, but waiting until it's all out.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Oct 6, 2019 9:50 AM

Sep 2018
Normally what happens is I watch a few episodes while it’s airing and then get distracted and forget about it until it’s done and then I go like “oh shit! I never finished this” and watch the rest in a few days...or 8 months
Oct 6, 2019 9:54 AM

Oct 2018
It depends on the anime, tbh. Some anime I am really eager to watch them and can't wait till they're finished and some others I just wait till they're done airing to binge-watch them. Also keep in mind that some anime are just not made to be binge-watched.
Oct 6, 2019 10:00 AM

Dec 2016
While airing cause i will probably lose interest on it while waiting
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Oct 6, 2019 10:04 AM

Dec 2016
Weekly when it is airing to follow up online discussions.
Oct 6, 2019 12:29 PM

May 2009
shdz said:
do u start watching the anime when it's still airing or u wait till it finishes and watch it in 1-2 days sprint? I've asked this question because I'm afraid that I will forget parts of the story when it stops airing ( because it's only 1 episode per week ).. by the way Sorry for my bad english.
I typically don't watch stuff as it airs, but watch finished shows/seasons, sometimes long after they first air.

But I also don't sprint through the episodes. I think it's best to give the episodes (or rather the brain) some time to "breathe", some time to digest and reflect on the episode before. Usually I watch 1 to 3 episodes per day, of the course of a week or a few weeks, maybe skipping some days when I'm busy.

This makes it easier to remember details, but without feeling like I'm cramming episodes for the sake of having watched them. Sometimes episodes are written with the assumption that the audience would take a week of time off between them, and binging them in quick succession can have bad results, in my opinion.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 6, 2019 12:44 PM

Jun 2019
I have never watched an anime while it was still airing and refuse to do so.

The reason is because I like the option of watching as many episodes in succession as I please. It doesn't mean I always do. The most I've ever binged in one day I believe is around 13 episodes, but I've gone weeks, even months without watching a single episode of any anime show. These days I'll usually watch 4-5 a day if I'm really into a series and 2-3 or less if I like it but am not really addicted.

All the anime from 2018 I only watched this year within the past several months. And I just finished watching the first season of Fruits Basket 2019 within several days last week. I wouldn't watch it while it was still airing. It brings back annoying memories of having to wait week by week on regular television.

Part of me also wants to wait until a show is totally over (as in the whole series, not just an individual season) but since that could take two, three, four or more years I'm not quite patient enough for that. So I've watched the Fruits Basket reboot and Yuru Camp (from 2018) even though they're still both actively airing shows. I just won't watch while the actual current season is still on.

Damn, it's going to be tough with FB next spring though.
WatchTillTandavaOct 6, 2019 12:48 PM
Oct 6, 2019 12:55 PM
Aug 2015
I always watch an anime after it aired.
One of the advantages is that you see the score of it after it aired. And while myanimelist isn't reliable to detect animes I'll love (some > 8.5 animes can still be shit), it's extremly reliable to detect animes that aren't worth my time.
Oct 6, 2019 1:31 PM

Jun 2009
I always wait with watching till I can binge the whole thing, and I can see the score it got, to see if it's worth watching.
Oct 6, 2019 1:51 PM

Sep 2011
Normally I would say that if given the option you should watch a series all at once, but given that I've already watched the shows I really care to watch I am only left with airing shows. I don't much care to wait until the season ends to watch them all at once, especially since I live on the internet and the internet is full of weekly spoilers. In other words, I will watch most series as they air with a few exceptions, and these exceptions depend on my mood. In order of frequency:

"What kind of series am I in the mood to watch?"

"How much bullshit can I tolerate at the moment?" (My taste is trash)

"Will this series benefit from watching every episode at once instead of weekly?"

Depending on these answers, the series will either go in the backlog or go on high priority for when the series ends. The only series from the previous season (technically two seasons) that I've put off for the high priority list is Kimetsu no Yaiba, and I am waiting for the BDs for those.

TL;DR - If given the chance and my mood allows it, I watch it all at once.

Oct 6, 2019 1:55 PM

Jul 2019
I usually wait 35 years and then start watching like crazy
Oct 6, 2019 5:54 PM

Oct 2008
I wait for it to finish airing and than I binge it in a day or two.
Oct 6, 2019 6:01 PM
Sep 2019
depends if the anime is good, then on a weekly basis.

if it's mediocre at best, may as well wait until it finishes to binge all at once
Oct 6, 2019 7:14 PM
Jul 2018
That's a good question, it depends on the anime for me. If it was something that i really wanted to watch or was really interested in i would watch it while i'ts airing, some anime i would just wait for all episodes to come out.
Oct 6, 2019 9:20 PM

Sep 2016
I'd prefer to just binge it all to get the gist of the series in one sitting, but lately, I've been actively trying to follow shows weekly.

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
Oct 6, 2019 11:03 PM

Jul 2012
I prefer to watch it as it's airing, if it finishes airing I'll just be more likely to add it to my plan to watch list and get to it like months to years down the line. Sometimes I'll wait 2-3 episodes if I want to work out my watching list and see if it fits or decide if it's something I'm really in the mood for (also to wait for confirmed episode counts).
It has to be a show that really clicks with me if I end up binging it and I'd rather not gamble on that at the end of a season when I could just be watching a new show.
Oct 7, 2019 12:02 AM

May 2015
I usually watch several airing anime, there are already a lot of aired episodes that I want to check out, if I wait more or till the end of season, there'll be even more and I'd simply won't watch most of it because it's too much of an effort. It's easier to watch as they air so they won't pile up.
Oct 7, 2019 5:40 AM

Jul 2019
For me it is easier to watch it when it airs. Watching 1 episode per week is not hard but for thing like black clover I dropped it after 7 episodes then wanted to resume it and boom it has like 100 episodes, and I don't feel like watching 100 now.
Oct 7, 2019 5:54 AM
May 2019
As long as it's interesting, I'll watch it even if it's still airing. Although I sometimes feel bad because most episodes feels like a cliffhanger. I have this habit where I easily forget what happened to the previous episode after just a week. It occurs to me a lot, especially when I've already watched the anime for a long time, I entirely forgot what happened in that anime.
Oct 7, 2019 5:56 AM
Nov 2018
I like to watch the first 1 or 2 eps first before deciding cos some shows for me are better watched in one go, while some are better weekly. I normally end up with about 4-5 I watch weekly then binge the rest of the shows after the season ends
Oct 7, 2019 6:23 AM
Jul 2019
Like Gigguk said, the best time to watch is when it's fresh. Cause everyone's aboard the hype train where you discuss with other people and predict what's gonna happen...if you're that kind of person. If you're a closet weeb, then it's fine to wait for it to finish.
Oct 8, 2019 5:18 AM

Jul 2012
Airing usually. Only time I wait is when it's a sports anime or Detective Conan mystery where it's like 2-3 episodes for a game or case. Then I can wait a bit and binge it all together.
Oct 8, 2019 8:40 AM

Mar 2019
I watch it the day it airs. I just don't have the patience to wait for months. I have schedule in watching anime.
Oct 8, 2019 8:42 AM

Mar 2018
I watch most of them right away but some that I'm not interested in at the moment I leave for later. That later usually being a few eps before the whole thing ends.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Oct 8, 2019 8:43 AM

Sep 2009
Sometimes wait... Mostly bingewatch...
Oct 8, 2019 8:43 AM

Aug 2018
I wait until it's finished airing , cuz I lost interest in it if I have to wait whole week just for 1 ep..

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

37 by Hikinekomori »»
1 minute ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

103 by AverageRiceFan »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime tend to get grouped together despite being at least somewhat different from each other, in your opinion? (Think Barbie and Oppenheimer)

arinthach - Apr 11

22 by AverageRiceFan »»
5 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

18 by AverageRiceFan »»
10 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

129 by FFandMMfan »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.