Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 1, 2019 3:40 AM

Aug 2018
Nope, not at all. As of this moment, this manga is the third highest-rated manga being above Fullmetal Alchemist. Contrary to what most fans say, this is an average 'weak mc gets some power only he has and becomes strong' story. Only reason it's this high up is probably because it's newly added and only fans of the manga have bothered rating it while the people who found it to be mediocre don't even realize it has been added to the database. Not trying to hate on the manga or anything tho, just don't want people to expect something special like I did.
ERMAHGERD1920Oct 1, 2019 6:14 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 1, 2019 4:00 AM

Jul 2017
It dropped and will definitely drop again. Now #5, I'm waiting it to be lower than Monster (sorry) and 20th Century Boys as well.
Oct 1, 2019 4:04 AM
Oct 2017
Why do you even care? MAL ratings mean nothing.
Oct 1, 2019 4:54 AM

May 2018
Someone get salty manhwa they don't like got ranked higher than their favorite manga. Then they decided to make bot to down votes. Time to get popcorn and enjoy the saltiness. Just another day in Myanimelist.
Oct 1, 2019 6:08 AM

Oct 2015
My only dream is this webtoon is accepted in this "weeb" site and it's really happens. If it's even get a 5 scores of something I don't care
Oct 1, 2019 6:20 AM

Jun 2011
ayy this got added to the database? Any idea if this is gonna get removed later on or will it stay here?

Anyway to answer the question, even though I would rate this 10/10 purely on enjoyment and the badassery, it isn't really the deep emotional series that everyone would seek from a top rated series. There's no complex plot thread or really fantastic characters, nor was the world building or anything like that great..

.. but, it does have really amazing art, and if anyone loves watching a weak, bullied protagonist becomes OP and topple everyone, this is the series for you. Anyone who's in love with dark based power will really like this series too. The art is so on point.

There is a reason why this is so popular across the web.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 1, 2019 6:26 AM

Aug 2018
ToG25thBaam said:
ayy this got added to the database? Any idea if this is gonna get removed later on or will it stay here?

Anyway to answer the question, even though I would rate this 10/10 purely on enjoyment and the badassery, it isn't really the deep emotional series that everyone would seek from a top rated series. There's no complex plot thread or really fantastic characters, nor was the world building or anything like that great..

.. but, it does have really amazing art, and if anyone loves watching a weak, bullied protagonist becomes OP and topple everyone, this is the series for you. Anyone who's in love with dark based power will really like this series too. The art is so on point.

There is a reason why this is so popular across the web.

Probably here to say, also I could see it being enjoyable but as you said there are a lot of weak points that's why I don't see it being this high up. If you're into the genre, I guess you would like it though I haven't watched read too many stories like this so I can't say.
Oct 1, 2019 7:39 AM

Sep 2018
It already fallen to 5th, or 6th.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Oct 1, 2019 10:41 AM

Jan 2016
The reason its so high is obviously due to the fact that all the fans were waiting for it to be accepted, love it unconditionally and rate it a 10 (lol me)

It's obviously going to drop as time goes on because more people will see it and read it.

Especially the bots, the bots have already seen it and are scoring 1/10 in mass right now lmfao.

I definitely think it deserves it's #1 spot in Top Manhwa though, holy shit so much better than any other Manhwa I've ever read.
Oct 1, 2019 10:51 AM

Nov 2013
Give it few months and it will drop out of top 100. The fanboys are just overreacting because this got "finally" added to MAL.

BTDee said:
I definitely think it deserves it's #1 spot in Top Manhwa though, holy shit so much better than any other Manhwa I've ever read.

Interesting. I don't read much manhwa, but this was certainly the weakest webtoon I've read. I'd suggest reading better manhwa.

ToG25thBaam said:

It got added because it got a physical release, so it won't go anywhere. Worst case, it ends up in a similar position as SQ: Begin W/Your Name! where only one volume of the webcomic got physically published, so the MAL entry reflects only that one volume (which most users seem to ignore anyway, considering the high mean score.)
abystoma2Oct 1, 2019 11:00 AM
You all need to watch Nami.

Oct 1, 2019 10:55 AM

Jan 2016
abystoma2 said:
Give it few months and it will drop out of top 100. The fanboys are just overreacting because this got "finally" added to MAL.

BTDee said:

Interesting. I don't read much manhwa, but this was certainly the weakest webtoon I've read. I'd suggest reading better manhwa.

ty for the suggestion but I have something called my own personal taste and it just so happens to include Solo leveling as #1
Oct 1, 2019 10:59 AM

Nov 2013
BTDee said:
ty for the suggestion but I have something called my own personal taste and it just so happens to include Solo leveling as #1

Well, talking about suggestions, check out:
About Death
Annarasumanara
Bastard
God of Bath

Oct 1, 2019 11:11 AM

Jan 2016
abystoma2 said:
BTDee said:

Well, talking about suggestions, check out:
About Death
Annarasumanara
Bastard
God of Bath

Two of those looks interesting for me, thanks!
Oct 1, 2019 7:30 PM

Mar 2012
It's a ridiculous score but it's not like if the manwha was on the database since 3 years.
Oct 2, 2019 5:56 AM
May 2019
I don't stand why many people say the art is good
Also I don't see anything so good about this manhwa

But btw don't care too much about the score
TezKOct 2, 2019 6:01 AM
Oct 2, 2019 8:16 AM

Jun 2011
abystoma2 said:
It got added because it got a physical release, so it won't go anywhere. Worst case, it ends up in a similar position as SQ: Begin W/Your Name! where only one volume of the webcomic got physically published, so the MAL entry reflects only that one volume (which most users seem to ignore anyway, considering the high mean score.)
Sweet, good to know that.

x_Articuno_x said:

Those are some dope spread! It's not just the fact that it's got good art, but the artist knows how to draw in a way that makes it look cool and get you hyped.

Here's another example,

that casual flex just gets you so hyped.

this perspective shot is also insane, it just exude dominance.

there's a lot more but yeah that's basically it. Also while I am looking through the manhwa again to get these images, I notice that there's actually a lot of details in the drawing compared to many other manhwa, which is quite impressive.
ToG25thBaamOct 2, 2019 8:24 AM
Oct 2, 2019 10:25 PM

Mar 2013
The Hikaru no Go guy ^ knows what he's talking about. The manhwa doesn't have a complex plot, but on pure enjoyment I would rate it a 10. It's like if ToG were added on MAL. I would give it a 9 or a 10 as well. It would probably also be pretty inflated at first too (probably low 9s). Do I think it deserves that rating? Maybe not. But on pure enjoyment the rating makes sense.
Oct 2, 2019 10:42 PM

Mar 2015
this is classic pure action flick, and has good art to support it. nothing wrong with that. not personal fans, but i can see people like it.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 2, 2019 10:46 PM

Jan 2012
ERMAHGERD1920 said:
Nope, not at all. As of this moment, this manga is the third highest-rated manga being above Fullmetal Alchemist. Contrary to what most fans say, this is an average 'weak mc gets some power only he has and becomes strong' story. Only reason it's this high up is probably because it's newly added and only fans of the manga have bothered rating it while the people who found it to be mediocre don't even realize it has been added to the database. Not trying to hate on the manga or anything tho, just don't want people to expect something special like I did.

I'm sure that I should ignore that comment and read it anyway :D
Oct 3, 2019 8:26 AM

Sep 2011
Magnord said:
ERMAHGERD1920 said:

I'm sure that I should ignore that comment and read it anyway :D

I mean, it is indeed a "weak mc gets some power only he has and becomes strong", that's pretty much the premisse of the story. But if it is average or not I guess it depends on your tastes. For me at least it is one of the most entertaining and hype series I've ever read, so I think that, at least, you should definitly give it a shot.
Oct 3, 2019 7:13 PM
Mar 2016
Yup. It’s definitely a very interesting read because of the great art and concept/ worldbuilding. Definitely an 8.5 imo because its writing is pretty repetitive. It’s satisfying to see the MC be underestimated and then shock everyone with his power, but it occurred SO MANY TIMES. The characters are also very poorly developed (even tho the MC is refreshing to watch), but the webtoon isn’t very character-driven so it’s fine.
Oct 4, 2019 1:42 AM

Nov 2013
shadowblaster5 said:
Yup. It’s definitely a very interesting read because of the great art and concept/ worldbuilding.

Art isn't that much different from average webtoon, concept is generic and the worldbuilding isn't even really there. Add what you've already mention about repetitiveness and poorly developed characters and it is certainly not something that deserves 8.5.

Oct 4, 2019 11:37 AM
Nov 2015
abystoma2 said:
shadowblaster5 said:
Yup. It’s definitely a very interesting read because of the great art and concept/ worldbuilding.

Art isn't that much different from average webtoon, concept is generic and the worldbuilding isn't even really there. Add what you've already mention about repetitiveness and poorly developed characters and it is certainly not something that deserves 8.5.
the concept isnt generic from what I've seen I've never seen a story like this with the growth of the mc of this type.
Oct 4, 2019 2:02 PM

Nov 2013
the concept isnt generic from what I've seen I've never seen a story like this with the growth of the mc of this type.[/quote]
"Weak protagonist is handed down way to get overpowered and suddenly is slaghtering everything while others still underestimate" is as generic as it gets. What growth is there except that mc became edgy?

Oct 4, 2019 9:10 PM
Nov 2015
abystoma2 said:
the concept isnt generic from what I've seen I've never seen a story like this with the growth of the mc of this type.

"Weak protagonist is handed down way to get overpowered and suddenly is slaghtering everything while others still underestimate" is as generic as it gets. What growth is there except that mc became edgy?[/quote]Mc becomes edgy is growth and greatly down.
Oct 4, 2019 10:07 PM
Nov 2018
The manhwa has not covered the important parts of the LN. I assure you that the story gets significantly better.
Oct 5, 2019 12:56 AM
May 2019
ToG25thBaam said:
abystoma2 said:
Sweet, good to know that.

x_Articuno_x said:

Those are some dope spread! It's not just the fact that it's got good art, but the artist knows how to draw in a way that makes it look cool and get you hyped.

Here's another example,

that casual flex just gets you so hyped.

this perspective shot is also insane, it just exude dominance.

there's a lot more but yeah that's basically it. Also while I am looking through the manhwa again to get these images, I notice that there's actually a lot of details in the drawing compared to many other manhwa, which is quite impressive.

No I don't see anything so good about those scene
Oct 5, 2019 1:03 AM

Jun 2011
x_Articuno_x said:
Perhaps you could educate me on what makes a good art to you?
Oct 5, 2019 3:03 AM
May 2019
ToG25thBaam said:
x_Articuno_x said:
Perhaps you could educate me on what makes a good art to you?

It's personal opinion, I don't have knowledge of art
Hmm maybe I will up some scene that "I call good" later when I'm back home
Edit: "I call good" change to I like
TezKOct 5, 2019 3:38 AM
Oct 5, 2019 3:10 AM

Jun 2011
x_Articuno_x said:
It just personal opinion, and I don't have knowledge of art
No I mean what is good art to you, because those drawings are amazing, just the art alone conveys so much details about the scene.. like the 3rd spoiler image that I showed you..

in the first panel, we see a thrust motion, a blade went through the armor and pierced someone, and later on we see the full picture, getting a sense of what happened. You can also tell they're in a blizzard the way the coat's being drawn as well as the smokes around the ground area.. and then the protagonist's being engulfed in darkness, showing he's ready for action.

Good art is basically arts that can convey something to the readers without going too extensive on the script.

Of course, going by simpler term, you can just say it's good or bad depending on how cool you think it is.

I am just confused why it's bad drawing to you, since you claim you don't see anything great about these scenes.
Oct 5, 2019 3:15 AM

Jun 2011
x_Articuno_x said:
It's personal opinion, I don't have knowledge of art
Hmm maybe I will up some scene that I call good later when I'm back home
I see that you're a fellow One Piece fan as well, here's a good example of what I am trying to say, skip to 8:48 and watch from there, until 14:20

Oct 5, 2019 3:31 AM
Mar 2017
Ive read the web novel which I would rate around 8.6/8.7 as its really good on most sides but a bit jarring with the hamfisted OMG ITS SUNG JIN WOO rhetoric. Ive only seen the character designs and a few scenes I wanted to see drawn but id say top 3 is a bit much for the manhwa but its definitely a great read.
Oct 5, 2019 2:04 PM

Nov 2013
Black_Sheep97 said:
Mc becomes edgy is growth

More of a flip switch than growth.

Oct 5, 2019 4:34 PM
Mar 2016
abystoma2 said:
shadowblaster5 said:

I'd agree with that the concept of "weak MC becomes strong" is very generic. However, the MC's power and the execution of it were very like a game and were creative. The art feels as if it were animated, something I haven't seen in much of the comics I've read (although it's only for a few pages).

I think art and execution alone make it worthy of an 8.5 on MAL, definitely not a 9 rating. Personally, I'd give it an 7.7, but if I were to compare to scores of other manga on MAL, it's an 8.5 if that makes sense.

But yeah, I'm glad we can both agree on terrible characters. Korean entertainment has always had very forgettable characters.
Oct 5, 2019 9:34 PM
Nov 2015
abystoma2 said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

a flip is a form of growth, it happens under strenuous circumstances revealing and unknown element for the Character.
Oct 5, 2019 9:35 PM
Nov 2015
shadowblaster5 said:
abystoma2 said:

I'd agree with that the concept of "weak MC becomes strong" is very generic. However, the MC's power and the execution of it were very like a game and were creative. The art feels as if it were animated, something I haven't seen in much of the comics I've read (although it's only for a few pages).

I think art and execution alone make it worthy of an 8.5 on MAL, definitely not a 9 rating. Personally, I'd give it an 7.7, but if I were to compare to scores of other manga on MAL, it's an 8.5 if that makes sense.

But yeah, I'm glad we can both agree on terrible characters. Korean entertainment has always had very forgettable characters.
generally yes I would agree with you but the mc is amazing, and stuff like song of the long March, noblesse have very good Characters.
Oct 5, 2019 9:53 PM

Aug 2018
abystoma2 said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

Hey, nice signature. I can never unsee it again.
Oct 5, 2019 11:31 PM

Nov 2013
ERMAHGERD1920 said:

I'm glad I was able to help another person with enlightenment.

Black_Sheep97 said:
a flip is a form of growth, it happens under strenuous circumstances revealing and unknown element for the Character.

MC went from "I am the weakest yet I will still try hard to help my ill mom" to "Lmao imma straight out murder this guy". That's the only developement the protagonists has. Not growth, developement, as he grew backwards to a worse personality.

Oct 6, 2019 12:07 AM
Nov 2015
abystoma2 said:
ERMAHGERD1920 said:

I'm glad I was able to help another person with enlightenment.

Black_Sheep97 said:

MC went from "I am the weakest yet I will still try hard to help my ill mom" to "Lmao imma straight out murder this guy". That's the only developement the protagonists has. Not growth, developement, as he grew backwards to a worse personality.
you yourself said it that's growth, it's from naivity innocence to cynacism, becoming a worse person is growth.
Oct 6, 2019 1:16 AM

Nov 2013
Even if I would recognize as a character growth, it's still a bad one.

Oct 6, 2019 7:19 AM

Jul 2013
As a solo leveling fan .. I would love to see it in top .. but if someone were to ask me why it deserves the top place.. I won't be able to convince him because this series is often bashed as something close to fanfiction.. Right now this is the Only Manhwa in the top 50.. just shows how much MANHWA as a whole is underappreciated.. but then , is Solo leveling better than those big names like FMA, berserk, vagabond , one piece , Monster etc.. the answer is no... It doesn't even begin to compare with these great titles...
For me, Attack on titan, berserk, Fmab and Monster are some of the greatest stories ever told and I respect their authors for that.BUT.. I never felt like re-reading them ,on the contrary , NOBLESSE and SOLO LEVELING are the only two titles that I've re-read countless times .. the only two series that made it difficult for me to wait for their updates.. why.. well there is no one answer to that .. but I can tell one thing for certain.. deep inside I've always wanted a badass characters as protagonists.. and that's what these two series offer.. After all you are reading and watching to enyoy and get entertainment out of it.. not to become a CRITIC or JUDGE.
Oct 6, 2019 9:50 AM

Nov 2015
I didn't read it yet , but I saw some pics and the art was amazing , probably people got hyped thanks to the art but then realized the story was average?
Oct 6, 2019 11:21 AM
Mar 2016
Black_Sheep97 said:
shadowblaster5 said:

generally yes I would agree with you but the mc is amazing, and stuff like song of the long March, noblesse have very good Characters.
The MC is refreshing. He's not mentally weak, and accepts reality very well. However, I can't say his development was well written though. He completely shifts from one character to another right after killing those men in the dungeon. From there, the story just progressed giving little insight of what is going through the MC's head.

The S ranks, who seemed overpowered at first and were probably the main source of hype, regressed into nothing as the MC became stronger. In fact, the MC didn't even fight them once, which I think is a waste.

Dont misunderstand me tho, I really enjoyed the webtoon.
Oct 6, 2019 6:46 PM
Jul 2018
I think it would deserve to be in the top 10 once its finished.
Oct 6, 2019 7:23 PM

Mar 2013
Sandymikoto said:
After all you are reading and watching to enjoy and get entertainment out of it.. not to become a CRITIC or JUDGE.

Basically this.

/thread
Oct 7, 2019 7:27 AM
Aug 2018
Imo I'm fine with people giving it an honest rating. I rate animes based on how much I enjoyed watching them rather than on how flawless they were which is why me being an old fan gave Solo Leveling a 10 (which is probably an inaccurate rating)
People rating honestly, giving it a 6,7,8 or anything is ok, what's annoying are the toxic people rating this a 1 without even actually reading it just because it's too high in the ranking right now. It'll go down in ranks soon enough there's no need for this bs
Oct 7, 2019 10:17 AM

Jan 2016
Ladha said:
Imo I'm fine with people giving it an honest rating. I rate animes based on how much I enjoyed watching them rather than on how flawless they were which is why me being an old fan gave Solo Leveling a 10 (which is probably an inaccurate rating)
People rating honestly, giving it a 6,7,8 or anything is ok, what's annoying are the toxic people rating this a 1 without even actually reading it just because it's too high in the ranking right now. It'll go down in ranks soon enough there's no need for this bs

I agree with you,

all my ratings are pure enjoyment as well,
and it really annoys me to see the stats and look at all the bots giving this a one.
Oct 7, 2019 10:02 PM

Nov 2013
Which pretty much explains why MAL mean scores are a joke lot of times.

Oct 8, 2019 4:49 AM

Mar 2012
Ahri-is-cute said:
I didn't read it yet , but I saw some pics and the art was amazing , probably people got hyped thanks to the art but then realized the story was average?

Yeah it's something like that. Still ok to read but average dev&world building&story&characters.
Oct 14, 2019 1:36 PM

Jul 2015
I read 27 chapters and it's honestly not great. You won't find anything new. The score will definitly drop after people who aren't fans will rate it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your ending view (regarding extra chaps):

Vamp_Lord - Apr 24

8 by amitlot10 »»
Yesterday, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Solo Leveling Chapter 201 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Eoussama - Jul 9, 2023

57 by ttedim »»
Apr 24, 2:25 PM

Poll: » Are you satisfied with this ending ?

luckysjjsjsjs - Nov 19, 2023

11 by MH93 »»
Apr 24, 4:05 AM

Poll: » Solo Leveling Chapter 191 Discussion

MegamiRem - Mar 29, 2023

27 by MH93 »»
Apr 24, 2:19 AM

Poll: » Solo Leveling Chapter 179 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

koluffy - Dec 29, 2021

136 by Taniamichelle001 »»
Apr 22, 10:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.