Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 30, 2019 2:40 PM

Nov 2018
does anyone else think this was a fucking masterpiece? Seriously, I feel like DR doesn't get that much love even though it's popular for a visual novel. I honestly don't think I can compartilize how good the cast of characters is and how everything mixes in so well. the drama, the character interactions, the comedy, the real-life references, the shook moments, the warped ending, seriously anyone feel the same?
Sep 30, 2019 2:43 PM

Aug 2014
All I know is that it's near the top of my priority list of anime to watch in the future. I really like the art style. I know the fans consider the games to be better than the anime.
Sep 30, 2019 2:43 PM

Feb 2013
agreed; now excuse me, i'll have some private time with tenko

i have a dream of a world where battle royales are as common as isekais
Sep 30, 2019 2:44 PM
May 2019
Yes I like Dangaronpa it's a good anime, although visual novel version is better.
Sep 30, 2019 2:44 PM

Jan 2019
I often see Dongobongo (no matter if it's good or bad, it has a garbage name!) pop up on Steam sales, but I'm not really a visual novel kind of guy.

If Steins Gate ever goes on sale I'll have a stab at that one because it's apparently exceptional, but I never really understood the appeal of them. It could be I'm missing out as I like to read, but maybe it's because every second one I see advertised is some kind of dating sim and that's not really my bag.

EDIT :- I mean, I say it's not my bag but I enjoy the romance sections in Mass Effect and other RPGs so maybe I just haven't given them a fair shout. If there's any of substance out there I might have a look.
Sep 30, 2019 2:46 PM
Jul 2018
i enjoyed the majority of danganronpa 2 so i got this one on steam as well, i ended up refunding it cause from the introductory portion the characters seemed really awful/annoying compared to 1/2 and i knew it would be grating playing through a whole X0 hours of the game with them. i looked up the overall synopsis and ending later once i knew i wouldn't be playing the game and thought they were really bad too lol, can't say i agree with you on this one chief ;/

(idk what the anime adaptations are like aside from the first one which i thought was really good)
Sep 30, 2019 2:47 PM

Jul 2019
I started to watch it, and finished it the same day. Very Super Omega Master Piece!
Sep 30, 2019 2:50 PM

Aug 2017
This is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but personally, I think the first two games, the DR3 anime, and Ultra Despair Girls as a whole were all incredibly well-written masterpieces, but the ending of DRV3 just... wasn't as immersive for me and kind of a disappointment? I disliked the whole breaking the 4th wall thing. I did really love several characters from V3 (Kokichi is one of my all-time favorite characters) and I had a lot of fun playing and the class trials were all intense and great (especially the 5th chapter trial), but the ending ruined it for me a bit.

Sep 30, 2019 3:02 PM
Apr 2018
I think 1 and 2 were better than v3,both character and story wise.Also, they add many things to gameplay but the game somehow gets a little repetitive after 2 games even if i liked all games. I think we need different kind of battle royale if there will be any other DR game. How about becoming a killer this time? Or you run away from the killer (first phase of the game, they all will attack you first because you have big brains or something) and convince others to trust yourself and that he is a killer but the killer deceive others and don't trust you. Also memory loss would be good idea to prevent people to trust yourself after class trial is over.It would be a brutal and hopeless story as always.
Sep 30, 2019 3:09 PM
Apr 2018
periwinxle said:
This is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but personally, I think the first two games, the DR3 anime, and Ultra Despair Girls as a whole were all incredibly well-written masterpieces, but the ending of DRV3 just... wasn't as immersive for me and kind of a disappointment? I disliked the whole breaking the 4th wall thing. I did really love several characters from V3 (Kokichi is one of my all-time favorite characters) and I had a lot of fun playing and the class trials were all intense and great (especially the 5th chapter trial), but the ending ruined it for me a bit.

Wasn't Danganronpa 3 anime too short for you? I have played the game for hours (about 60 hours?). But the anime concluded it very quickly. The first one was like an slice of life and the other is a battle royal. I think the latter could have easily been 2 cours at least.
Sep 30, 2019 3:16 PM

Jul 2017
To me, V3 is the weakest game in the Danganronpa trilogy, with Danganronpa 2 being the best.

The last case of V3 was really bad and, dare I say it, really pretentious. It felt like the Danganronpa team reached into their bag of plot twists and used their last remaining twist to fuck with the players without much thought or sincerity put into it. The game also implies that the Danganronpa 3 anime (which I hate with a fiery passion) is the canonical endings to Danganronpa 1 and 2.

Shame on you Kazutaka Kodaka.
Sep 30, 2019 3:20 PM

Aug 2017
Rojitoki said:
periwinxle said:

Wasn't Danganronpa 3 anime too short for you? I have played the game for hours (about 60 hours?). But the anime concluded it very quickly. The first one was like an slice of life and the other is a battle royal. I think the latter could have easily been 2 cours at least.

I would have preferred it to be longer, but I really loved both arcs and thought that it wrapped up the story of Hope's Peak really nicely. I agree that the Future Arc would definitely have benefited from being at least 24 episodes or maybe even a whole game because it did feel a bit rushed, but honestly, I was more interested in the Despair Arc anyway. I loved the entire cast of DR2 a lot, so I was really interested to see them all back before the tragedy and also just how the remnants of despair came to be in general. I know a lot of people hated the brainwashing thing, but I was a fan of it. Haha, I hated Junko, so I would've hated to see her corrupt them all one by one.

But yeah, TL;DR, it was shorter than I would have liked, but I loved it in spite of that.

Sep 30, 2019 11:53 PM
Apr 2018
periwinxle said:
Rojitoki said:

I would have preferred it to be longer, but I really loved both arcs and thought that it wrapped up the story of Hope's Peak really nicely. I agree that the Future Arc would definitely have benefited from being at least 24 episodes or maybe even a whole game because it did feel a bit rushed, but honestly, I was more interested in the Despair Arc anyway. I loved the entire cast of DR2 a lot, so I was really interested to see them all back before the tragedy and also just how the remnants of despair came to be in general. I know a lot of people hated the brainwashing thing, but I was a fan of it. Haha, I hated Junko, so I would've hated to see her corrupt them all one by one.

But yeah, TL;DR, it was shorter than I would have liked, but I loved it in spite of that.

Some series like Danganronpa needs to have slice of life series focused on comedy and daily lifes even if it feels like a filler. The characters have talent and various personality that they can use unlike generic slife of life anime we see for a long time.
Also, i loved both Junko and brainwash idea.
I hated that they made some characters scapegoat of all the things that happened.
Oct 1, 2019 12:00 AM

Aug 2017
Rojitoki said:
periwinxle said:

Some series like Danganronpa needs to have slice of life series focused on comedy and daily lifes even if it feels like a filler. The characters have talent and various personality that they use unlike generic slife of life anime we see for a long time.
I hated that they made some characters scapegoat

Ideally, I really would have liked to see a slice of life anime involving the DR2 cast after the events of the DR3 anime. One of them all living on Jabberwock Island together. That would have been an interesting direction to take the series in my opinion. That way, they could focus on the dynamic and chemistry between the characters. Also, they would have the opportunity to flesh out more of the characters that didn't get as much of an arc in the games or the anime. Maybe even give them more of a backstory. As much as I loved Komaeda and Hinata, I think there are other characters that had the potential to be interesting if they would have more of a chance to shine.

Oct 1, 2019 2:48 AM
Apr 2018
periwinxle said:
Rojitoki said:

Some series like Danganronpa needs to have slice of life series focused on comedy and daily lifes even if it feels like a filler. The characters have talent and various personality that they use unlike generic slife of life anime we see for a long time.
I hated that they made some characters scapegoat

Ideally, I really would have liked to see a slice of life anime involving the DR2 cast after the events of the DR3 anime. One of them all living on Jabberwock Island together. That would have been an interesting direction to take the series in my opinion. That way, they could focus on the dynamic and chemistry between the characters. Also, they would have the opportunity to flesh out more of the characters that didn't get as much of an arc in the games or the anime. Maybe even give them more of a backstory. As much as I loved Komaeda and Hinata, I think there are other characters that had the potential to be interesting if they would have more of a chance to shine.
Didn't the game (DR2) have something like this? Instead of killing spree they hang out with each other and do something. I don't remember much about it but i think it didn't have a main story.
Oct 1, 2019 9:26 AM

Mar 2015
I like the V3 ending simply because it's the biggest what the actual fuck moment I've ever had lol finished the game at like 1 am and just sat there in disbelief. Kodaka the absolute madlad. Though I guess as a whole the DR1 ending is still my favorite. Honestly I didn't really like the ending for the second game, despite it probably being my favorite game overall. Gundam best boi btw.

I do wish I wasn't spoiled the first trial for V3 though. Would've loved seeing it unfold without knowing the outcome :/
Oct 1, 2019 9:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
The ending of V3 by design is extremely polarizing because it's just so... so warped. Personally I loved it and thought it was brilliantly daring plot twist by the writers, but I can fully understand why people would find it silly and undermining what the series was supposed to be about. After all, it totally changes your perspective not just on V3 itself but the Danganronpa franchise as a whole, which can be difficult to swallow for a lot of people

Discounting the ending then I'd probably still go with Danganronpa 2 as the best part of the series and V3 being the second best

As far as the anime goes... eh it's decent but doesn't hold a candle to the games
Oct 1, 2019 9:48 AM

Oct 2010
Danganronpa 53 was great till the ending, that ending destroyed my feelings, it was so wrong on so many levels, comparable with Prison School ending. The girls were great, the atmosphere was nice, I cannot accept the ending.
Oct 1, 2019 9:56 AM

Feb 2019
V3’s first trial is complete garbage that’s only purpose was to make the player feel emotional instead of actually delivering a proper, fair mystery.
V3’s second trial is complete garbage.
V3’s third trial is complete garbage
V3’s fourth trial is really good although really predictable.
V3’s 5th trial is great
V3’s final trial is really conflicting... On one side, I really liked the idea and its execution, but I really disliked how it negated everything that came before it and basically turned the universe it was building up for 5+ years, the dr universe, into a complete joke.

Weakest DR cast by far.
To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly.
Oct 1, 2019 12:14 PM

Aug 2017
Rojitoki said:
periwinxle said:

Didn't the game (DR2) have something like this? Instead of killing spree they hang out with each other and do something. I don't remember much about it but i think it didn't have a main story.

There was Island Mode. It's kind of different, though. Instead of it being after the story, it happens instead of the story. It's what would have actually happened if Izuru didn't corrupt the Neo World Program with AI Junko. What was supposed to happen instead of the killing game. It was pretty nice to play through. I finished the whole thing and got a different perspective on several of the characters.

But yeah, I kind of wish we got some kind of afterstory to DR3 involving the DR2 cast. I think a slice of life anime for them all living together on the island would have had a lot of potential and could have been a big hit.

Oct 1, 2019 12:58 PM
Apr 2018
periwinxle said:
Rojitoki said:

There was Island Mode. It's kind of different, though. Instead of it being after the story, it happens instead of the story. It's what would have actually happened if Izuru didn't corrupt the Neo World Program with AI Junko. What was supposed to happen instead of the killing game. It was pretty nice to play through. I finished the whole thing and got a different perspective on several of the characters.

But yeah, I kind of wish we got some kind of afterstory to DR3 involving the DR2 cast. I think a slice of life anime for them all living together on the island would have had a lot of potential and could have been a big hit.
I see. I didn't play that mode yet because i first wanted to finish main story. We may get new game but first we need to wait for creator to finish games he is working on now.

More topics from this board

» What are some shows that are commonly credited to change someone's life?

APolygons2 - 4 hours ago

21 by Tirinchas »»
22 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid?

GoatPieceLuffy - Yesterday

39 by Hikinekomori »»
1 minute ago

» Why are classic dubbed anime always being praised more than modern dubs?

funtime43_tr - Apr 28

18 by Zalis »»
3 minutes ago

» Did I ever tell you what the definition of stupidity is?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

23 by Sad »»
8 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 3 )

Catalano - Apr 25

144 by Lhundrup »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.