Forum Settings
Forums

Vinyl set to outsell CDs for first time since 1986

New
Sep 8, 2019 6:15 PM

Jul 2015
https://www.cnet.com/news/vinyl-records-will-soon-outsell-cds-for-the-first-time-since-1986/
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/groovy-vinyl-records-will-soon-outsell-cds-for-first-time-since-1986/ar-AAGXsgC
https://www.nme.com/news/music/vinyl-set-outsell-cds-first-time-since-1986-2545781

It comes from a new report by the Recording Industry Association of America. Vinyl is set to outsell CDs for the first time since 1986, a new report reveals.

The revelation comes in a mid-year report from the Recording Industry Association of America. Last year’s RIAA report revealed that CD sales are dying three times as fast as vinyl sales are growing, and it’s more of the same in this year’s.

The new report states that vinyl records earned $224.1 million (from 8.6 million units) in the first half of 2019. This figure is impressively close to the CD numbers ($247.9 million, 18.6 million units). With vinyl revenue growing by 12% in the second half of 2018 and first half of this year, and CD rates barely changing at all, it could see vinyl revenue overtake that of CDs by the end of the year.

If it does happen, it’ll be the first time that vinyl has generated more revenue than CDs since 1986. The report also reveals that, despite vinyl’s growing popularity in relation to CD sales, it still accounts for a relatively small percentage of overall music purchasing. The RIAA report says that in the first half of 2019, vinyl record sales accounted for only 4% of overall revenues. Paid subscriptions to streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music, meanwhile, accounted for 62%.

------------------------------------------------

am not even old enough to have experenced listenning to vinyl-stored music lol
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 8, 2019 8:03 PM

May 2018
I didn't even know they still sold them. This technology is older than VHS...
Sep 8, 2019 8:33 PM

Nov 2008
I guess the Vinyl from Data Discs (they sell video game soundtracks on vinyl) are selling well.

Sep 8, 2019 10:56 PM

Mar 2011
I guess I can see that, as more and more people shift to digital (non ownership) or to vinyl (supposed better quality sound, so more value in purchase). Of course the article hasn't mentioned about pirated music for ownership.

All that for me to say, who knew.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Sep 8, 2019 10:59 PM

Jan 2009
Vinyl is more high quality than CD anyway for archival purposes but i bet in Japan CD sales are still big
Sep 9, 2019 1:26 AM

Sep 2018
heg said:
Vinyl is more high quality than CD anyway for archival purposes but i bet in Japan CD sales are still big

Bollocks, vinyl degrades every time it's place, can warp and sounds bad even when played for the first time. A CD will last much longer, the only bad thing with them is touching the bottom where greasy fingers can do stuff to the plastic over time.

The people who like vinyl are the people who think a $10000 power cable helps their music sound better. Deluded hipsters.
Sep 9, 2019 1:40 AM

Jan 2009
QPR said:
heg said:

Bollocks, vinyl degrades every time it's place, can warp and sounds bad even when played for the first time. A CD will last much longer, the only bad thing with them is touching the bottom where greasy fingers can do stuff to the plastic over time.

The people who like vinyl are the people who think a $10000 power cable helps their music sound better. Deluded hipsters.

i will give you the benefit of the doubt on that one since thats just what i heard from some people anyway that claim Vinyl is better and sounds better too
Sep 9, 2019 2:06 AM

Sep 2018
heg said:

i will give you the benefit of the doubt on that one since thats just what i heard from some people anyway that claim Vinyl is better and sounds better too

People claim it sounds "warm" but that's only because it cannot handle the high frequencies. Cassette tape is also on the comeback which is the worst of all worlds. It degrades and you play russian roulette over whether the deck decides to chew up your tape or note. Next up will be people buying 8 tracks!

It's just hipsters wanting to be cool.
Sep 9, 2019 2:11 AM

Feb 2015
I think vinyls are pretty cool, but I don't think the quality is any better than CDs at all. Maybe that crackling sound at the beginning of each song has a ASMR type of effect on people, who knows.
Sep 9, 2019 2:12 AM

Jan 2009
QPR said:
heg said:

People claim it sounds "warm" but that's only because it cannot handle the high frequencies. Cassette tape is also on the comeback which is the worst of all worlds. It degrades and you play russian roulette over whether the deck decides to chew up your tape or note. Next up will be people buying 8 tracks!

It's just hipsters wanting to be cool.

i grew up in the 90s so i can confirm those casette tapes woes

and ye i googled some info earlier and found that Vinyls are analog and not digital like CDs so thats the reason for the suppose better sound quality but meh only few people will notice those better sound quality then since digital streaming with MP3s, AAC, and now OPUS audio are the norm and people do not complain about those

so ye just being hipsters then
Sep 9, 2019 2:53 AM

Sep 2018
So you remember the hiss of the tapes then, replace that with the crackle and pop of a record with the brittleness of china.

The good thing about them was the packaging, I can see how people miss that but definitely not the sound.
Sep 9, 2019 5:30 AM

Jun 2014
I love records, and I've been collecting them since the early 1990s, but I really wish that people would stop calling it "Vinyl," because nobody called it that when I was younger.

AshitaNoJonas said:
I think vinyls are pretty cool, but I don't think the quality is any better than CDs at all. Maybe that crackling sound at the beginning of each song has a ASMR type of effect on people, who knows.

It depends on how the recording was mastered. Many older recordings from the 50s & 60s don't sound as good when they were released on CD, because they were altered. I know a song which has the prominent sound of a crash cymbal that I listened to on an LP as a kid, but on CD/digital, you almost can't hear the crash cymbal at all.

Sep 9, 2019 10:13 AM

Aug 2009
I am not surprised. Many people like the way vinyl sounds. A couple of nieces of mine have a couple of their favorite bands on vinyl. AS for CD sales declining thats just a sign of download and streaming service becoming more prevalent. Cd quality music can easily be streamed or downloaded to a portable device instead of bought on a physical medium. Plus with download and streamed music you don't have to pay for the whole album, you can just pay for the songs you want.You can even get satellite and streaming music stations thats kind of like cable tv but for music.Heck in some cases you don't have to pay for music just go to youtube or some other similar free service.
Sep 9, 2019 11:12 AM

Jan 2019
This has been pissing me off, I used to be able to find old 45's and 12's cheap at flea markets and rummage sales, but now everybody is charging extortion prices for a scratched up useless disk from a no-name instrumental gospel album from the 70's.
Sep 9, 2019 11:31 AM

Jun 2014
DiscoDespot said:
This has been pissing me off, I used to be able to find old 45's and 12's cheap at flea markets and rummage sales, but now everybody is charging extortion prices for a scratched up useless disk from a no-name instrumental gospel album from the 70's.

I really have to laugh at the old people who sell records in second hand shops sometimes, because they seem to think that all records are worth money, which is absolutely untrue.

If a record isn't in demand, it's basically worthless, and if it's scratched up, it's definitely worthless. People like rock and pop, and some of those are worth money, especially early pressings of Beatles records if they're in near mint shape, but stuff like country records are worthless, even if they're mint.

Sep 9, 2019 1:35 PM

Jun 2008
Silverstorm said:
I guess I can see that, as more and more people shift to digital (non ownership) or to vinyl (supposed better quality sound, so more value in purchase). Of course the article hasn't mentioned about pirated music for ownership.

All that for me to say, who knew.

Is not really better sound, it is kind of a myth.

As about why they could outsell CD's. Well is not that weird i guess. Most people listen music digitally now and when they buy physical they do it more for sentimental collectable reasons etc and vinyl seems nicer for that.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.