Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 4, 2019 4:06 PM

Jul 2019
Graphic novels which would have great anime adaptations imo would be Carboard, Bones and Lastman.
Novels would be: Percy Jackson, Genesis, Wardstone Chronicles and Artemis Fowl.

Sometimes I wish every country had their own "anime" productions to adapt all the great novels and comics they make like Japan adapts a lot of its manga and light novels.
Oct 4, 2019 4:10 PM
Jul 2018
I think the Percy Jackson and Magnus Chase series would be perfect as anime; the characters' pictures are already drawings to begin with. Of course, the humor would (and should) be a lot more dry and sarcastic, but that'd make it refreshing.

The Warriors would be even more perfect, since it'd be weird to adapt them into live action, when it's about animals. It can get pretty gory at times, so that's something the anime community would love.
Oct 4, 2019 6:55 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Either The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo or The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal would be awesome to see in the form of anime.
I used to read these two books a lot!
I could totally see Junichi Sato directing an adaptation of Despereaux, considering his work on fairy-tale-inspired anime, such as Princess Tutu and Prétear.
Oct 4, 2019 9:30 PM

Dec 2014
The Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett.

I like the world building in that series, and it has very balanced magic(?) system. The main MC Arlen is like a regular badass anime protag too haha
Oct 4, 2019 9:47 PM
Jan 2016
Don Casmurro by Machado de Assis, cant wait to see if Capitu cheated on Lil Bento on glorious Japanese Animation, specially if it’s from Shaft
Oct 4, 2019 9:52 PM
Nov 2018
EriitoSenshi said:
Literally anything from Brandon Sanderson Jesus Christ reading his books feels like watching anime in the first place. ESPECIALLY The Reckoners I would love to see an anime adapation of The Reckoners omg

100%, his cosmere is absurd and the greatest piece of world buidling I've come across.
Oct 4, 2019 9:54 PM
Nov 2018
Pragyan1 said:
Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan
King killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss

King Killer would be insanely good. Recommended read to anyone who hasn't read it.
Oct 4, 2019 10:02 PM
Nov 2018
I got a whole list:
1) King Killer Chronicles
2) Stormlight Archives and the entire cosmere by Brandon Sanderson (literally best word building in all of fiction)
3) Mistborn
4) Gentlemen Bastards (just the first book)
5) Scythe
6) War Breaker
7) Dark Prism series
8) The First Law Trilogy
9) Gone series
10) Elantris
11) Reckoner Series
12) Ranger's apprentice
13) Beyonders
14) Peter Pan (the non-kid version)
15) Six of Crows and related series
16) I am number 4
17) Brisingr
18) Fablehaven
19) Leviathan
20) Legion

Books 1-10 on this list I highly recommend to anyone.
Oct 4, 2019 10:07 PM

Aug 2018
- The Book Thief (Markus Zusak)
- Mistborn (Brandon Sanderson)
- Skyward (Brandon Sanderon)
- Eragon (Christopher Paolini)
- Percy Jackson And The Lightning Thief (Rick Riordan)
Oct 4, 2019 10:17 PM

Mar 2019
the hike by Drew Magary. Picked it up randomly in a book store and it's one of my top three books of all time, incredibly well written with a lot of great attention to detail. I think it would work as an anime because a lot of what happens is very surreal and imaginative as the plot sees a man walking down a path in the woods and encountering various supernatural phenomenon I'm not going to go into further detail because it's something that would get really ruined by spoilers. Definitely check it out if you have the chance
Oct 4, 2019 10:23 PM
Jul 2018
Haruki Murakami's books for the sake that I could comment on his people profile. John Lennon's wife has one by putting her weird music to someone's else anime, then why don't a popular Japanese literary figure have one?
Oct 4, 2019 10:34 PM

Jan 2018
i'm just curious about what these serial manufacturers of shitty manga adaptations would do with a long and tedious book like kafka's the castle, all insanely descriptive, confusing, did i mention fucking huge already? not that many pages but it took me ages to finish. honestly nevermind, i'd hate them to butcher such an awesome and unique book.
Oct 4, 2019 11:59 PM
Jul 2019
HAHAHAHHA there is a lot

Harry Potter, The Bible , Greek Mythology???????
Oct 5, 2019 12:07 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
i think 50 shades of grey would be perfect as an anime

Oct 5, 2019 12:25 AM

May 2015
edelgord said:
Haruki Murakami's books for the sake that I could comment on his people profile.

Many aspects of the setting of Haibane Renmei are deliberately similar to Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. You could give it a try if you haven't watched it yet.

When I was reading One hundred years of Solitude everything that was happening in the story in my minds eye translated into a kind of psychedelic cartoon. Its visual style was not really that of a typical anime but anyway it would be great to watch it as a unique josei.
IshitatesoOct 5, 2019 12:35 AM
Oct 5, 2019 12:57 AM
Jul 2018
Dazel1412 said:
Same with "The Queen's Thief" series by Megan Whalen Turner. I think they'd have to do a bit of adjustments since the first book is really slow, but I'd love to see Gen, Attolia, and Eddis in the anime style.

I read that too a long time ago, great book!

The Shadowhunters are basically made for being an anime.
My second choices are Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl AND Narnia. So people see how good Isekais look like.
Oct 5, 2019 1:01 AM
May 2018
Everything by Tolkien, and everything by Rowling.
Oct 5, 2019 1:20 AM

Mar 2019
The Skulduggery Pleasent series, holy smokes those books were my life when I was in primary. It has great scenes and the action parts are really good, would dream to see an anime adaptation of the series.
Oct 6, 2019 4:13 PM

Feb 2018
Essential Organic Chemistry 3E Paula Yurkanis Bruice 3rd Edition
Oct 6, 2019 5:07 PM

Oct 2017
I'm not sure it would work as an anime, but my name is a reference to Catch-22. Easily my favourite book ever. Absurdist comedy mixed with in with great mesages about war (the absurdism of war) and told in really creative original style which I've never seen emulated.

I think something based on that might make for an interesting anime.

I'll tell what would make for an absoutely stellar anime though: The Red Rising Trilogy. OMG that would make a killer anime.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Oct 6, 2019 5:11 PM

May 2016
There's a sci-fi novel I got as a gift in high school called Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future, and aside from being a very fun and engaging novel, it could be a triumphant recapturing of the spirit of the legendary Space Western Trilogy of 1998.

Give that shit to Studio Bones and get Shinichirou Watanabe on board, maybe even bring back Yoko Kanno and Tsuneo Imahori, and it would be the coveted Cowboy Bebop spiritual successor people have been clamoring for for 20 years now.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Oct 6, 2019 7:03 PM

Jan 2019
A Song of Fire and Ice series, if only to see the direwolves in their true size/significance (because the TV show screwed them over)

Harry Potter would also be cool as a series with multiple seasons rather than several movies
Oct 13, 2019 9:50 PM

Apr 2018
I honestly think Artemis Fowl would be better as an anime. The movie trailer looks like they fucked it up (honestly, they lost their chance to not have Asa Butterfield play Artemis. Like the dude would have been perfect), and I'm not feeling too psyched about it.

If there was a multi-cour series covering each book, it could easily be top-tier.
Oct 14, 2019 1:09 AM

Jan 2018
So many! There are a lot of kids books I read that would make the cutest anime series! XD
A treasure the color of the rainbow, the color of happiness
Oct 14, 2019 1:53 AM

Dec 2018
The wheel of time by Robert Jordan

I wanna finish that monster ,,But im to lazy to read it all because it gets so slow sometime and i give up =P But i have read half of it and love the rich world the magic a crazy dragon ,, But the books get a bit to much after a while ,, So i would love a tv show or anime about those fantasy books

Or David Eddings The Belgariad The Malloreon The Elenium and The Tamuli,, I love those books and some kind of adaptions would be very interesting!!

Moiraine Damodred was one of the first strong females characters I come across as a child ,, And I really like her, She Is beautiful strong wise brave and one of my first waifus ever =P

To see this in anime would be a dream coming true for me!!

Oct 14, 2019 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
Percy Jackson & The Olympians and Alice in Wonderland.
Oct 14, 2019 3:52 PM

May 2018
theres this pretty good book called "piercing" and I think it would be amazing as a serious, dark anime.
Oct 14, 2019 5:47 PM

Nov 2016
Any adaptation of A song of ice and fire after george is done with dream, so I can finally stop having nightmares of GoT s08. I'd also love an adaptation of Aghata christie's and then there were none, and some more sherlock holmes too

Xstasy said:
The Odyssey by Homer

There is an 80s adaptation called Ulysses 31 though they made it a scifi but it's still pretty good. It's also quite special since it was a collaboration between a french and japanese staff
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2331/Uchuu_Densetsu_Ulysses_31
Oct 14, 2019 5:52 PM

Jun 2019
Captain Underpants. The writing and character development in that series is CRIMINALLY underrated. It will probably never become an anime, due to the threat of Captain Underpants becoming the greatest waifu of all time.
professional women respecter
Oct 14, 2019 6:08 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
yxckson said:
Captain Underpants. The writing and character development in that series is CRIMINALLY underrated. It will probably never become an anime, due to the threat of Captain Underpants becoming the greatest waifu of all time.

I don't personally see that much potential in this as anime material, but hey if it actually happens, I might legit give it a watch.
And Captain Underpants being the best waifu? uhhhhhh...
Professor Poopypants says hi
Oct 14, 2019 10:02 PM

Jul 2017
Eragon. But honestly after that disaster of a movie, I don't have much hope that a adaption of any kind will be good, I feel like it's the kind of story thats only good as a novel.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Oct 15, 2019 1:31 AM

Jan 2019
Lord of the Rings would be a pretty epic anime imo
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become irrelevant.
Oct 15, 2019 6:25 AM
Oct 2019
konkelo said:
The great Gatsby and Pride and prejudice. I would generally dig adaptation of realism novel.

I had a quick check of your anime list and I couldn't see if you have seen Emma? If not, I think that might be your jam, it has a very Austeny vibe to it.

I always thought The Mortal Engines series would have made a good anime series, it's got sky pirates, a steampunk aesthetic, some cool characters. But it's already been made into a movie so it seems extremely unlikely to get such a treatment now.
Oct 15, 2019 6:34 AM
Aug 2013
Selby books
Andy griffiths books
Goosebumps
Harry potter
~AnimeDownUnder~

Oct 15, 2019 11:37 AM

Oct 2019
Hamlet (though it's a play, but whatever)
The Bible (Old Testament)
A Song of Ice and Fire
The Iliad
Wuthering Heights
Harry Potter
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Lord of the Flies
The Picture of Dorian Gray
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Flowers for Algernon
Fight Club
The Road
Have you done your punches of gratitude today?
Oct 15, 2019 2:32 PM

Apr 2015
Shizuka-Suz said:
konkelo said:
The great Gatsby and Pride and prejudice. I would generally dig adaptation of realism novel.

I had a quick check of your anime list and I couldn't see if you have seen Emma? If not, I think that might be your jam, it has a very Austeny vibe to it.

Oh I haven't watched it, forgot that it even exist. I have few manga volumes and read them when I was really young, at that time it didn't interest me. I should try again after so many years.
Oct 15, 2019 10:56 PM

Oct 2019
Ender's game would be actually sick. Wouldn't have as many restrictions as the horrible live action version had.
Oct 16, 2019 1:00 AM

Oct 2019
Definitely The Silmarillion. Imagine how epic that shit would be if done well by a good studio.
Oct 16, 2019 5:49 PM

Jun 2016
Never Let Me Go
Roadside Picnic
The Lunar Trilogy
The Owl in Daylight (PKD unfinished novel)

I can only think of these because they have the potential to capture that melancholic/ethereal feeling of science fiction deconstructed into grounded realism, like Texhnolyze does with the underground city before moving to the surface which is just like "real life". Admittedly when I say Roadside picnic I mean more along the lines of Tarkovsky's Stalker but I prefer the book title.
Oct 17, 2019 7:33 PM

Sep 2019
Brandson Sanderson's Cosmere. I can see it be done live-action, but honestly, the actual magic, action, aesthetic style would be less effective than it would be in an anime.

People flying with swords and spears, singing magic, and jumping through mists would look amazing through animation, I think. Also, colour, would look really great animated.

(Technically, the rest of Spice & Wolf is apart of the Light-Novel, if that counts. :P
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

11 by Avicebrons »»
7 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

18 by Ratris_Decision »»
23 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

53 by maya2003s »»
24 minutes ago

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

1 by romagia »»
25 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

88 by Atmogenic »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.