Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 16, 2019 6:58 PM
Jul 2018
I have watched this anime and I don't understand why people love it so much. Can anyone explain it to me? I'm really curious.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 25, 2019 5:25 AM

May 2018
Because it is one of the most stylistic mecha anime ever made.
Aug 25, 2019 6:12 AM

Jun 2014
I've never watched, and never will, but I always assumed it was popular because of Yoko's tits.

Aug 25, 2019 7:12 AM

Dec 2013
Mostly the action and enjoyable action. Music also helps with the hype moments in the series.
Aug 25, 2019 7:31 AM

Feb 2019
it's because of the amazing soundtrack, beautiful animation & compelling characters.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Aug 25, 2019 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
G_Spark233 said:
Mostly the action and enjoyable action. Music also helps with the hype moments in the series.

I didn't enjoy the action. It was just robots fighting without any kind of strategy or choreography and explosions everywhere. I only remember one soundtrack which was really good but overall the sound was just fine for me.
Aug 25, 2019 1:13 PM
Jul 2018
Luna_Estlin said:
it's because of the amazing soundtrack, beautiful animation & compelling characters.

I only remember one soundtrack which was really good but overall the sound was just fine for me. The animation style was very childish and I didn't care about the characters.
Aug 25, 2019 1:17 PM
Jul 2018
KrisToast said:
Because it is one of the most stylistic mecha anime ever made.

It has the same childish style as a shinchan movie. Even those are more entertaining tbh
Aug 25, 2019 1:18 PM
Aug 2019
It used to be really hyped years ago. Imo pretty forgettable.

What else, yeah, has action, GAR, good ost, good animation, ecchi. Story is grand and epic ... or creates the illusion of that. It was just a fast paced battle-shonen, that went all mecha in the second half. I like the first half, I don't like the later. What I'm getting at is, its the spectacle. Same reason people like Kill la Kill, or Trigger stuff in general.

Personally I don't like it. It had no substance to it. No emotional connection so to say, with me.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
KuniiNov 28, 2020 5:35 PM
Aug 25, 2019 1:24 PM

Jan 2009
its a hyper energetic show from the dialogues to the exaggerated action scenes plus with awesome music, its about the Human Spirit or Fighting Spirit and Evolution too heck this anime popularize the word EPIC in the anime fandom simply because the characters started young and then becomes old people in the end too

looking at your favorites youre just a fan of serious drama action shows like Death Note and Attack on Titan thats why you do not like Gurren Lagann that focuses more on comedy and action
Aug 25, 2019 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
TheChaika said:
It used to be really hyped years ago. Imo pretty forgettable. The characters were all bland as hell, except Kamina, but he died, so Simon became a Kamina clone.

What else, yeah, has action, GAR, good ost, good animation, ecchi. Story is grand and epic ... or creates the illusion of that. It was just a fast paced battle-shonen, that went all mecha in the second half. I like the first half, I don't like the later. What I'm getting at is, its the spectacle. Same reason people like Kill la Kill, or Trigger stuff in general.

Personally I don't like it. It had no substance to it. No emotional connection so to say, with me.

Yeah, I feel everything "amazing" in this anime is just an illusion.
Aug 25, 2019 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
ugmon said:
its a hyper energetic show from the dialogues to the exaggerated action scenes plus with awesome music, its about the Human Spirit or Fighting Spirit and Evolution too heck this anime popularize the word EPIC in the anime fandom simply because the characters started young and then becomes old people in the end too

looking at your favorites youre just a fan of serious drama action shows like Death Note and Attack on Titan thats why you do not like Gurren Lagann that focuses more on comedy and action

Yeah, one of the few things I enjoyed from the plot was the timeskip. It was not like in One Piece where the characters are the same. here you can note a difference. So that's a decent argument.
Aug 27, 2019 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
drakoneel said:
the same reason as with the animes in your favorite list but it's better.

WOW, what a great argument! Thank you
Aug 27, 2019 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
drakoneel said:
angelk99 said:

WOW, what a great argument! Thank you

A stupid answer for a stupid question.

So you are basically telling me that you love this anime but you don't know why. OK.
Aug 27, 2019 12:15 PM
Twincool~

Oct 2018
Probably because of the goofy artstyle. Also the story about growing to become a hero is a pretty good one. It can be kinda depressing and emotional but dam is it over the top with its action.
Aug 27, 2019 1:13 PM

Oct 2017
I constantly found it extremely boring, it's way too extreme with the ecchi and "manliness" that it reeks of dryness and over-exaggeration.
Aug 30, 2019 3:35 AM
Oct 2018
It depends on what anime you're into.
If you're into serious anime this is not for you.
Its not the best anime of course, but its hailed as a modern classic because it sets aside all logic. You'll never find anything more exaggerated than this. Its probably the most daring anime ever made. When you watch just relax and hopefully you'll be entertained of the hype you're about to see because you are in for a huge ride.
Yeah the anime has some fan service blah blah, I honestly don't give a crap about Yoko's tits. I honestly don't know why people always jump to that conclusion. Its way more than that.
I just know that this anime (for some people) impacted a lot of people, like it picked them up and inspired them to do the impossible, it made them feel like they can do anything. It was a huge boost to help them keep them going and reach their goal. Its as if this show was saying "Hey what are you doing moping around for? You can't just give up like that. Get yo depressed ass up and just do it."
If you think this anime is boring... cool, I can't force you to change your opinion of course. I guess its because you already feel like you can do anything maybe?... As if I know that.
Not_a_Weeb_21Aug 30, 2019 4:16 AM
Aug 30, 2019 4:38 AM

Feb 2015
Let's see...

✅ High production values across the board
✅ The art style
✅ Cool, inspiring main character
✅ Fun and diverse side cast
✅ Giant robots vs. giant robots
✅ Escalating power levels
✅ Over-the-top action scenes
✅ Lots of explosions
✅ Hype soundtrack

Gee, I wouldn't know why people might like this...
Aug 30, 2019 4:48 AM
Jul 2018
Not_a_Weeb_21 said:
It depends on what anime you're into.
If you're into serious anime this is not for you.
Its not the best anime of course, but its hailed as a modern classic because it sets aside all logic. You'll never find anything more exaggerated than this. Its probably the most daring anime ever made. When you watch just relax and hopefully you'll be entertained of the hype you're about to see because you are in for a huge ride.
Yeah the anime has some fan service blah blah, I honestly don't give a crap about Yoko's tits. I honestly don't know why people always jump to that conclusion. Its way more than that.
I just know that this anime (for some people) impacted a lot of people, like it picked them up and inspired them to do the impossible, it made them feel like they can do anything. It was a huge boost to help them keep them going and reach their goal. Its as if this show was saying "Hey what are you doing moping around for? You can't just give up like that. Get yo depressed ass up and just do it."
If you think this anime is boring... cool, I can't force you to change your opinion of course. I guess its because you already feel like you can do anything maybe?... As if I know that.

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I think one of the problems is I never saw anything "clever" in this anime. I have nothing to credit the author about. I feel I could write a story like this in one day and would have the same quality. I was not expecting a great plot but I never thought adult people could enjoy a story like this, which seemed very childish overall to me.
Aug 30, 2019 4:52 AM
Jul 2018
Milennin said:
Let's see...

✅ The art style
✅ Lots of explosions
✅ Hype soundtrack

You just used "Giant robots vs giant robots" and "lots of explosions" as valid arguments?. I'm not gonna say anything more xDD
Aug 30, 2019 5:05 AM

Feb 2015
angelk99 said:
Yeah, I get what you are saying. I think one of the problems is I never saw anything "clever" in this anime. I have nothing to credit the author about. I feel I could write a story like this in one day and would have the same quality. I was not expecting a great plot but I never thought adult people could enjoy a story like this, which seemed very childish overall to me.

Because the clever part is up for interpretation in this anime. It's not shoved into your face, nor does it pretend to be clever, but there are things to be taken from it if you look for it. Such as the evolution and the unending potential of mankind (starting out in caves, ending up in big modern cities and achieving flight into outer-space). There are life lessions to be learned, such as not giving up just because there's an obstacle in your way, or because someone/thing precious to you ceases to exist. It tells you to get off your sorry ass and overcome the hardships. It has a lot of character development and progress, and not just for the main character, which is a rare thing in shows that aren't long-running battle shounen.

Which is what makes this anime great. You can watch it as a brainless light show with a lot of big explosions, but there are deeper themes if you bother to look for them.
Aug 30, 2019 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
Milennin said:
angelk99 said:

Because the clever part is up for interpretation in this anime. It's not shoved into your face, nor does it pretend to be clever, but there are things to be taken from it if you look for it. Such as the evolution and the unending potential of mankind (starting out in caves, ending up in big modern cities and achieving flight into outer-space). There are life lessions to be learned, such as not giving up just because there's an obstacle in your way, or because someone/thing precious to you ceases to exist. It tells you to get off your sorry ass and overcome the hardships. It has a lot of character development and progress, and not just for the main character, which is a rare thing in shows that aren't long-running battle shounen.

Which is what makes this anime great. You can watch it as a brainless light show with a lot of big explosions, but there are deeper themes if you bother to look for them.

I can say the same thing about any kids show. Yeah, I can see the "not giving up" thing, the sociopolitics after the timeskip, the psychological impact after kamina's death, etc, in the same way I can see self-esteem and society problems in any doraemon episode. I can extract deep themes from ANY story but that doesn't mean the show itself is exploring it in an interesting way.
removed-userAug 30, 2019 5:51 AM
Sep 3, 2019 8:54 AM

Aug 2018
Seiya said:
I've never watched, and never will, but I always assumed it was popular because of Yoko's tits.

Why are you always posting stupid shit? I'm really curious about that tbh.

I really liked how Simon developed. He was a worthless piece of shit, like every anime watcher here, but he lost his brother, he realised how hard life was and how you can't let yourself be crushed by your responsabilities or past. He is arguably one of the best things in Gurren Lagann.

The other thing it is because how epic Lagann is. Great animation, great fanservice (even if I do not like fanservice that much), great OST and a hyped up story.

I understand that some people may not like it but I love it, and I do not like mecha animes.
Sep 3, 2019 9:04 AM

Jun 2014
PentagramShogoki said:
Seiya said:

Why are you always posting stupid shit? I'm really curious about that tbh.

If you don't like what I post, feel free to ignore me.

Oct 8, 2019 8:18 AM
Jun 2017
I think the anime sucked
Oct 29, 2019 8:23 AM
Aug 2014
I've just started watching it episode 4 currently and Kamina is absolutely exhausting to endure.
Oct 29, 2019 9:38 AM

Oct 2017
Milennin said:
Let's see...

✅ The art style
✅ Lots of explosions
✅ Hype soundtrack

It's very much the general appeal effect.
as a comparison, Yuasa's surreal movies have simple plots to relate to the surreal artwork and appeal to the normies
not to say Gurren Lagann is completely normie
if it was people would be in constant discussion of it
Oct 29, 2019 9:40 AM
Jul 2018
Action + tits = what's not to love?
Oct 29, 2019 10:31 AM

Feb 2019
Because Simon's drills pierced the heavens.
Oct 30, 2019 7:59 PM

Jul 2019
Because of the over the top action, the extremely optimistic vibe it has and HYPE soundtrack.

I don't think you can really call it a kid show, there's a lot given to think and overthink and I'm sure as hell you cannot write a story as good as this one, it has a lot of details giving it a lot more depth than some other shonens that exist only for the purpose of having action. Dunno how you have Jojo in your favorites if you claim disliking Gurren Lagann which both have over the top action, I suppose you just didn't catch its vibe.
Nov 27, 2019 10:59 AM

Jun 2008
Ranpyone said:
I like the first half, I don't like the later.

It was exactly the opposite for me. I find the first part bland and repetitive as hell, the kind of show people that only watched Dragon Ball Z as kids would be into. Kamina was annoying as hell too.

The best part was

Dec 9, 2019 7:34 PM
Sep 2017
Fantastic animation, great character designs that are really expressive and flow really well together, lots of hype, cool soundtrack, while also having great characters, excellently done drama, and a meaningful message to tell.
Dec 23, 2019 6:28 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
Seiya said:

Lol, you'll never watch it? Your loss.

To this day, it's still one of the best anime ever made. Some people just lack culture, no big deal.
- Justin T. Poindexter
Jan 6, 2020 12:42 PM
Jan 2020
Okay, so i just made an account to post about TTGL.

I just rewatched this after 8 years. I was quite literally a wee lad when I first watched it, but since then I've both read manga and watched anime with great plots. Decent characters, interesting background lore, whatever else. Many dozen.

I may not be the biggest anime watcher of all time, but I frankly cannot understand how people could find the show boring. At least, not unless they've simply had too much entertainment and gotten bored of it all. For people, there is something such as "enough dopamine" after all.

After returning to the show, watching the movies in sequence with the actual series to get the most complete experience possible, I can safely say that the show is as inspiring as can be. It carries a message about moving on from your troubles, being you and not following someone else's shadow or demands. And also a balance between idealism and pessimism. Anyone who spends half a minute actually reading the subs or hearing the dub would realize that there's meaning to the show that's being conveyed.

The animation is superb (except episode 4, of course), even if it isn't a total sakuga-fest all the time. The stylistic choice both shows scale, emotion and soul much better than hundreds of seasonal shows shoved out over the last decade.

The soundtrack may not be full of a billion bangers, but it is what it needs to be. When it wants to go hard, it goes hard. Libera Me From Hell, Sorario Days, Happily Ever After, etc... Of course, there are anime that hits the beats harder than TTGL does in regards to music, but nothing's perfect. It does a servicable job in regards to this alone, and that's on average throughout the show.

The characters are what they need to be, Kamina is a man among men, but he isn't some immensely deep character that you can delve into for 20 hours. He's not meant to be. Simon's the real character of Gurren Lagann, and the story is about him becoming a man and making the best of himself. And if you've any attachment to meaning & intention, then you can relate to Simon, and appreciate his character and growth. That's what makes the show engaging, the evolution that the series tries to convey.

Obviously I could make like fifteen more paragraphs, but I don't really think that's necessary. It's a great show. Perfection is unattainable, but it strives toward it despite that, in the vein of the themes it was created with.
Feb 12, 2020 2:46 PM
Feb 2020
The theme was impeccable, the characters extremely unique with lots of personality, unique character design, its insanely quotable, and its epic
Apr 17, 2020 9:20 AM

Mar 2019
If the show had a little downgraded animation, people who praise it would be talking shit about it.

Wouldn't say it's garbage but it has higher rating than Monster and Parasyte(power of tits).

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Apr 17, 2020 9:23 AM

Apr 2020
It's flashy. People like flashy. Flashy is fine, buuuuuuut the substance is... Lacking if you past that flash. Yes, it looks cool. That's about it.
Apr 17, 2020 10:12 AM

Sep 2014
Because people love garbage.
Apr 18, 2020 1:49 PM
Feb 2010
I would have liked it if it weren't for the ending. That Simon just blindly accepted Nia's death without so much as a tear just infuriates me. What was the point of it all if it was all for nothing?
Apr 26, 2020 11:14 PM

Nov 2019
Milennin said:
Let's see...

✅ The art style
✅ Lots of explosions
✅ Hype soundtrack

With arguments like "Giant robots vs. giant robots" and "Lots of explosions" I lost all desire to watch this shit you know. I'm guessing you like michael bay Transformers lol.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
May 2, 2020 11:57 PM
Mar 2011
This is no mere anime. This is a religion.
May 10, 2020 8:07 PM
Apr 2020
I'm confused on why this is rated an 8.69 on here. It's a 7 no more no less. It's not bad nor average, it is good but no where near very good or great. The story isn't all that original, the characters are alright, and the animation is good. I don't know why so many people have this rated so high.
Dotcom0May 10, 2020 8:12 PM
May 10, 2020 8:34 PM
Dec 2018
Dotcom0 said:
I'm confused on why this is rated an 8.69 on here. It's a 7 no more no less. It's not bad nor average, it is good but no where near very good or great. The story isn't all that original, the characters are alright, and the animation is good. I don't know why so many people have this rated so high.

Well my good sir I will tell you why, the character development was phenomenal, simon going from a weak kid to a depressed one then overcoming that depression and becoming a man that can stand by himself are all really interesting and engaging, Kamina is still my favourite character in all of fiction, he pretty much shares the spotlight with simon and is so full of energy/enthusiasm while also trying to mentor his brother into believing in himself, the anime tackles themes of Religion, politics, depression, being a man, suicide, hate and self sacrifice, the story may be average (I personally enjoyed it) but it's the characters that make this anime

Please tell me if there's something you don't understand, I think the beauty of this anime shouldn't be missed by anyone
May 10, 2020 8:36 PM

May 2020
Its more garbage mecha imo.
RATE MY ELITE ANIME TASTE
May 10, 2020 9:03 PM
Apr 2020
Qashi-Dema said:
Dotcom0 said:

Well my good sir I will tell you why, the character development was phenomenal, simon going from a weak kid to a depressed one then overcoming that depression and becoming a man that can stand by himself are all really interesting and engaging, Kamina is still my favourite character in all of fiction, he pretty much shares the spotlight with simon and is so full of energy/enthusiasm while also trying to mentor his brother into believing in himself, the anime tackles themes of Religion, politics, depression, being a man, suicide, hate and self sacrifice, the story may be average (I personally enjoyed it) but it's the characters that make this anime

Please tell me if there's something you don't understand, I think the beauty of this anime shouldn't be missed by anyone

Alright Simon growing as a character was fun to watch. But I'm confused on why this is rated an 8.69, it's a 7 at best. It's a solid anime. You made some good points. This anime didn't touch me the way it touched so many giving it a high rating I guess.
May 10, 2020 9:21 PM
Dec 2018
Dotcom0 said:
Qashi-Dema said:

Alright Simon growing as a character was fun to watch. But I'm confused on why this is rated an 8.69, it's a 7 at best. It's a solid anime. You made some good points. This anime didn't touch me the way it touched so many giving it a high rating I guess.

When I first watched it, I thought it was an 8, a few years later I'm in love with it, maybe you should rewatch it in a few years or it might click if you think about it more

Just remembered I also really enjoyed the hype moments like Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann after kitans sacrifice, wondering what your opinion on that scene is?
May 11, 2020 8:18 AM
Apr 2020
Qashi-Dema said:
Dotcom0 said:

When I first watched it, I thought it was an 8, a few years later I'm in love with it, maybe you should rewatch it in a few years or it might click if you think about it more

Just remembered I also really enjoyed the hype moments like Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann after kitans sacrifice, wondering what your opinion on that scene is?

I thought the relationships were a big part of the story. I understand the whole "doing the impossible to make things possible" aspect which is why Kittan sacrificed himself and not just Kittan. There was Kidd, Zorthy, Iraak and Jorgen and Balinbow. But I'll be honest the hype mech moments didn't get me all that excited. To me it was just Simon combining with another piece of machinery.
May 11, 2020 9:42 AM
Dec 2018
@Dotcom0
(I didn't want to quote all the text)
Maybe your more of a kill la kill fan?
I see that you also gave DBZ a 7, both Gurren Lagann and DBZ have similar character development and hype moments, this just might be something you don't like and in that case I can't really see how you can enjoy it more unless you rewatch it in a few years when your taste has changed
May 12, 2020 3:02 PM
Apr 2020
why do people not like this anime and like darling in the franxx?
May 12, 2020 3:04 PM
May 2019
AntisocialBoy said:
why do people not like this anime and like darling in the franxx?

It doesn't have Zero Two.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1152 by LinaThePotion »»
Apr 25, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.