Forum Settings
Forums

Characters that everyone seems to hate but you love them anyway

New
Aug 10, 2019 7:42 AM

Aug 2017
^
Just as the title suggests. Personally, for me it would be Emilia.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 10, 2019 8:04 AM

Jun 2013
Chibiusa for sure. I'd heard bad things about her going into Sailor Moon R but I really like her so far.

Aug 10, 2019 8:07 AM

Nov 2010
Minoru Mineta from My Hero Academia.

I heard from my friend that many people hate him but I think he's freaking funny.
Aug 10, 2019 8:08 AM

Dec 2015
Haruhi Suzumiya. People hate her because she's an obnoxious, egotistical control freak bitch who demands everything be done her way.
But I think that's what makes her an interesting character to watch.
Aug 10, 2019 8:11 AM

Aug 2018
Probably has to be Felix Argyle from Re:Zero ka ka ka
Aug 10, 2019 8:13 AM

Jul 2017
I think Shou Tucker is a great role model for fathers everywhere >:)
Aug 10, 2019 8:16 AM

Sep 2016
Sengoku Nadeko from the Monogatari Series, she's a very well written character
Aug 10, 2019 8:19 AM

Nov 2014
Mmm... Since I've recently just completely watched Cowboy Bebop which is a badass classic, then it has to be Ed or the Radical Edward. Most people hate her for such being an annoying weird child in the series, but I am deeply in love with her character she's such a cutiepie.

Aug 10, 2019 8:24 AM

Jul 2019
Nobita Nobi. I don't like him because he has bad habits but I like him because he is a great character as without him Doraemon would've not been the same as it is.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Aug 10, 2019 8:47 AM

Jul 2013
Bobby2Hands said:
Haruhi Suzumiya. People hate her because she's an obnoxious, egotistical control freak bitch who demands everything be done her way.

She still has her legion of fans but I agree. Admittedly, there were instances when she went way too far to my liking but she's still a very entertaining character and basically the life of show. The good thing about it is that the series is aware of how much of a bitch Haruhi can get and it shows through Kyon. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya just isn't the same without Haruhi herself.
Aug 10, 2019 8:49 AM

Mar 2016
Definitely Natsuki Subaru, don't think I'd have watched Re Zero till the end without him as main character
Aug 10, 2019 8:58 AM

Mar 2015
Fugo did nothing wrong and that's a hill I'm willing to die on.
Aug 10, 2019 9:02 AM

Oct 2013
Don't love it, but kinda like Ash Ketchum despite him always being the butt of jokes.
Aug 10, 2019 10:36 AM
Feb 2017
Bobby2Hands said:

Ah, I see that you're a man of culture as well.
Aug 10, 2019 10:53 AM

Jan 2018
Ah shit here we go again. It's Kirito Kirigaya. I would answer Emilia too but there's no rem fans on sight.
Aug 10, 2019 10:54 AM

Jul 2016
Sakura Haruno. She's a cool character, it's just the author gave her fuck all to do for most of Shippuden.
While I'm at it, I'll throw Sasuke in there too. I actually really like Sasuke's character arc, but, same problem as Sakura, up until the final boss and the last fight, the poor guy gets left out.
Aug 10, 2019 10:57 AM

Apr 2013
nv6 said:
^
Just as the title suggests. Personally, for me it would be Emilia.

Ummm... which Emilia??? You know, that it's not a very uncommon name... I already think of 2 when I hear the name (and there may be more).

dc22 said:
Don't love it, but kinda like Ash Ketchum despite him always being the butt of jokes.

Dude, Ash is pretty awesome if you think about it. He traveled to many regions and walked through them. He found many amazing Pokemon, beat a TON of elite trainers and got 2nd place CONSISTENTLY. He has experienced many cultures, scientific miracles and mythical legends and has been on countless adventures.

And he has been the lead of a successful anime series that has lasted for over 20+ years.

Sure, he doesn't age, but this is a fictional show. It's not a story of Ash's life, but a bunch of stories.

And frankly, it's a series meant for elementary school children.

He's always up for new experiences, is quite successful in life (more successful than the vast majority of viewers) and if just a single ONE of the things Ash did that is super amazing is counted, then that would be something worth bragging about for life.

Beating just 8 gym leaders is an achievement, Getting 16th place in his first tournament is amazing. Getting 2nd place in a national tournament is amazing as well, especially if you consider the fact that being a trainer is one of the most common things in their world.

I mean, THINK about it. In our world, getting a good score in any sport is considered amazing. But what if almost everyone practiced and played that single sport. Then getting to 16th place in nationals would be MANY TIMES more amazing.

And then, look at how he saved places and stopped criminals COUNTLESS times. Just 1 or 2 times would be worth bragging about, but he did it countless, and that is without counting how he saved the freaking world.

And then the legendarily he met and the scientific discoveries he has experienced. And all the life threatening experiences he faced.

And let's not forget the fact that he not only did amazing in his own life, but the Pokemon he let go. All of them were able to reach amazing heights thanks to Ash, thus being able to protect their home, find love, reach their dreams or be a world protector...

And people seem to forget that the anime is more realistic than the games. So each feat is SIGNIFICANTLY harder for him than it would be for game characters in a game that is meant to be defeated by 6 year olds...
Aug 10, 2019 10:57 AM

Jul 2017
Minko Tsurugi because I do like those types of characters that have a very cute side to their usually cold demeanor
Aug 10, 2019 11:04 AM

Oct 2017
XVI-VIII-XII said:
Definitely Natsuki Subaru, don't think I'd have watched Re Zero till the end without him as main character

Yeah same :DDD

(30 characters....)
Aug 10, 2019 11:04 AM

Mar 2018
Ueno Naoka from Koe no Katachi.Believe it or not, I was rooting for her and Ishida at the end of manga.
Νεχ ποσσυμ τεχυμ ωιωερε, νεχ σινε τε.
Aug 10, 2019 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
I like Suzaku from Code Geass, he's cute
Aug 10, 2019 11:09 AM

Mar 2019
Bobby2Hands said:
I must admit that as much as I a cultured man of rape culture that relishes a good dosage of casual sexual assault even I became somewhat uncomfortable with the first couple of episodes alone in how Haruhi manages to sexually assault two men, then physically assault them both, then frame one of them for it and blackmails them into obtaining expensive hardware and Kyon just stands there in a disinterested mood and lets it happen alongside the framed "victim" that could surely clear up these matters.

I was a bit perplexed by how Haruhi got what he wanted out of that ordeal instead at the least expulsion from school and most likely criminal charges awaiting.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Aug 10, 2019 11:32 AM

Nov 2008
Aria H. Kanzaki from Hidan No Aria - I think she's adorable and more complex than your average tsundere loli brat character. xD

Souma from Kannazuki No Miko. Yuri fags refuse to recognize perfection because of gender. I KNOW if he was female, everyone would adore him. Idiots.

@L_O_V_E_L_A_I_N Yeah, I'm a hater. xD Doesn't help that her design alone makes my eyes bleed.

Aug 10, 2019 11:35 AM

Jan 2013
Is Kotomine Kirei hated?
I guess he would be, so I'm gonna go with him.
Aug 10, 2019 11:59 AM

Dec 2015
Sphinxter said:
Bobby2Hands said:
I must admit that as much as I a cultured man of rape culture that relishes a good dosage of casual sexual assault even I became somewhat uncomfortable with the first couple of episodes alone in how Haruhi manages to sexually assault two men, then physically assault them both, then frame one of them for it and blackmails them into obtaining expensive hardware and Kyon just stands there in a disinterested mood and lets it happen alongside the framed "victim" that could surely clear up these matters.

I was a bit perplexed by how Haruhi got what he wanted out of that ordeal instead at the least expulsion from school and most likely criminal charges awaiting.

Yeah well, Haruhi is a god, and have you ever heard of a god getting expelled from school just because she falsely implicated a couple of guys in a sexual harassment scandal. No, no you haven't...because that scenario is way too specific.
Aug 10, 2019 12:03 PM

Jul 2013
CondemneDio said:
Is Kotomine Kirei hated?

Barely. He's one of the most beloved characters in the Type-Moon franchise.
Aug 10, 2019 12:05 PM

Jan 2013
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
CondemneDio said:
Is Kotomine Kirei hated?

Barely. He's one of the most beloved characters in the Type-Moon franchise.

Fair enough. Well, I like Dio, and with him most people (me included) would say he's an asshole.
Aug 10, 2019 12:12 PM

Mar 2019
Chiibi said:
Aria H. Kanzaki from Hidan No Aria - I think she's adorable and more complex than your average tsundere loli brat character. xD
In what way? It's just a worse version of Syana where they downed all the complexity.

They basically took one dimension of Syana which was a realistically portrayed way of Syana being unable to deal with and express his own feelings and flanderized till it became all the character was really about and it wasn't remotely convincing any more.

Also m.f.w. they unironically make a character that gets superpowers from being sexually aroused as an excuse for fan-service... at that point just own it and make it a comedy so you no longer need an excuse because it's really impossible to take seriously that idea.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Aug 10, 2019 12:16 PM

Jun 2019
Absolute very first mental image which popped into my mind with this was one answer and one answer alone.

Nyu from Elfen Lied

Really don't understand the hatred though. Everything people cite is something I find endearing and wholly inoffensive.

I also didn't at all hate Haruhi Suzumiya. People like her make life more interesting than if everyone were just dullards and followers, sheep and script-readers. She had a zest for life. Better than being always boring and keeping your head down.

WatchTillTandavaAug 10, 2019 12:51 PM
Aug 10, 2019 12:28 PM

Nov 2008
Sphinxter said:
Chiibi said:
In what way? It's just a worse version of Syana where they downed all the complexity.

They basically took one dimension of Syana which was a realistically portrayed way of Syana being unable to deal with and express his own feelings and flanderized till it became all the character was really about and it wasn't remotely convincing any more.

I don't really agree because

Also m.f.w. they unironically make a character that gets superpowers from being sexually aroused as an excuse for fan-service... at that point just own it and make it a comedy so you no longer need an excuse because it's really impossible to take seriously that idea.

Just because it's a ridiculous premise doesn't mean characters cannot have depth. The series still has some dramatic and heartfelt moments...the same way as Kore Wa Zombie Desuka? and No Game No Life do. In fact, I PREFER such 'silly fanservice shows' to have some drama...because it can make them feel grounded and instead of purely forgettable fluff.
ChiibiAug 10, 2019 12:38 PM

Aug 10, 2019 12:31 PM
Jan 2017
For me it'd be Sakura Haruno. Every time someone says why they hate here it just feels like their pulling shit out of their ass as an excuse to "hate" her.
Aug 10, 2019 12:39 PM

Feb 2019
WatchTillTandava said:
Absolute very first mental image which popped into my mind with this was one answer and one answer alone.

Nyu from Elfen Lied

Really don't understand the hatred though. Everything people cite is something I find endearing and wholly inoffensive.

Nyu to me was tolerable. Speaking of Elfen Lied I actually liked Nana compared to Lucy mostly because she had much more development compared to her. Most people have viewed her as like an annoying brat to me she is not as bad as people make out to be.

Lucy on the otherhand was a angsty teen who just wanted everyone to fuck off and die. I could not take her seriously at all.
Aug 10, 2019 12:44 PM
Mar 2018
Saiki, Kuusuke from Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan, Akutagawa, Ryuunosuke and Dostoyevsky, Fyodor from Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season.
Aug 10, 2019 12:48 PM

Jun 2019
H1GHLANDER360 said:
Nyu to me was tolerable. Speaking of Elfen Lied I actually liked Nana compared to Lucy mostly because she had much more development compared to her. Most people have viewed her as like an annoying brat to me she is not as bad as people make out to be.

Lucy on the otherhand was a angsty teen who just wanted everyone to fuck off and die. I could not take her seriously at all.

I was a fan of all the Diclonius, including Nana.

Nyu, Lucy, and Kaede are all platinum to me. I wouldn't say she was "an angsty teen". She was born as a hominid subspecies and then reminded from a young age by humans that her very existence was an abomination and then made to feel only exclusion, bullying, terror, and pain. That kicked in her evolutionary drive to go ape and replace humanity. Rather than acting out for its own sake or something petty, I see her "angst" as more like a cornered wolf would lash out because it's their obvious nature.
Aug 10, 2019 12:48 PM

Dec 2017
Otae shimura from gintama. A lot of gintama fans hate her.

puneetsingh said:
Nobita Nobi. I don't like him because he has bad habits but I like him because he is a great character as without him Doraemon would've not been the same as it is.

Bruh, he is literally one of the most beloved characters in existance. There is just no doraemon without nobita.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Aug 10, 2019 1:02 PM

Mar 2019
Chiibi said:
Well me rephrase: it's more so that this one singular aspect of the character takes up so much screen-time. It's referenced like 4-5 times every episode and with Syana it never became an over-the-top singularly defining trait of the character that had to keep being referenced over and over and over again.

Just because it's a ridiculous premise doesn't mean characters cannot have depth. The series still has some dramatic and heartfelt moments...the same way as Kore Wa Zombie Desuka? and No Game No Life do. In fact, I PREFER such 'silly fanservice shows' to have some drama...because it can make them feel grounded and instead of purely forgettable fluff.
I disagree with the Comparison to N.G.N.L. (saw the other one not) — that series takes itself not seriously so it can throw in whatever absurdity it wants without it standing out. Kenzi's superpowers from being sexually aroused are præsented as a serious thing but an obvious vehicle for fan-service. In N.G.N.L. if such a thing were introduced it would just be hilarious and in fact a reverse of that was removed with both characters becoming crippled vegetables from the mere situation of being put into separate rooms; it is absurd but it's comedy and comically exaggerated; Kenzi's weird ability to own faces from being sexually aroused is præsented as a serious and plausible thing.

— Bertrand Russell
Aug 10, 2019 1:05 PM
Aug 2019
Doflamingo from One Piece, maybe? He is evil, but maybe that's just because of the kind of community he grew up in.
Aug 10, 2019 1:12 PM

Jan 2016
Not even a show I particularly like, but it baffles me that a lot of people who've reviewed Koutetsujou no Kabaneri hate the villain and think he's generic/tropey/poorly written. He was one of my favorite characters when I watched it.
Aug 10, 2019 1:39 PM

Aug 2014
I like satoko from higurashi a lot. She's intense.
Aug 10, 2019 2:06 PM

Sep 2014
IDK about everyone, but there is tons of very open hate towards FT's Lucy and I really like her, the most of all the show's characters. She's super fun to watch, she's both cute and hot, damn funny and is probably the most normal of the bunch personality-wise. IDK, I find it hard not to like her.
Aug 10, 2019 2:09 PM

Nov 2008
Sphinxter said:
It's referenced like 4-5 times every episode

Lol I just rewatched the series and you're majorly exaggerating with that....there's no way it was that much.

...actually I'm not sure what you're even talking about. The fact that Aria's a tsundere? Riko was the only one who called her that and she called her that like one time.

I disagree with the Comparison to N.G.N.L. (saw the other one not) — that series takes itself not seriously so it can throw in whatever absurdity it wants without it standing out..

Sora's temporary disappearance and Shiro having to bring him back was treated VERY seriously, just like how Aria's crying scenes over be unable to help her mother were treated very seriously.

Aug 10, 2019 2:16 PM

May 2014
Supposing there are still butthurt Rem fans, I will say Emelia from Re Zero.

I'll also add Kazuma Kirigaya (Kirito); I don't "love" him per se but he's pretty alright imo, particularly in Alicization
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Aug 10, 2019 2:20 PM

Nov 2008
DarkSyndicate said:
Supposing there are still butthurt Rem fans, I will say Emelia from Re Zero.

I'll also add Kazuma Kirigaya (Kirito); I don't "love" him per se but he's pretty alright imo, particularly in Alicization

I love him but I didn't defend him because look at the number of favorites he has. xD Even with all the haters, the boy's popularity is through the roof.

Aug 10, 2019 3:35 PM

Oct 2008
Kan'u Unchou I have no idea why people dislike her. However she was the sexiest character in Ikkitousen as far as I'm concerned.
Aug 10, 2019 3:50 PM
Jul 2019
Floch from SNK. I dont love him but i like him. He speaks facts in a blunt way
Aug 10, 2019 4:06 PM
May 2018
Matsuri from Citrus. Everyone hates her because of how evil she was but that's exactly why I found her so entertaining. Her arc was by far my favorite of the anime, she was just too much fun to watch.
Aug 10, 2019 4:19 PM

Dec 2016
Many people dislike Davis from Digimon 02, but I like him. He's fun and he's a blast.
Aug 10, 2019 4:29 PM

Feb 2018
Gecko Moriah from one piece (best warlord)
The answer to 1984 is 1776
Aug 10, 2019 4:34 PM

Aug 2014
Shirou Emiya, at least from Unlimited Blade Works. I can see why people find him unbelievably annoying but I think it's clear that it was intentional, he's clearly out of his depth but his trauma urges him to insert himself into those situations since he has survivor's guilt. I just think it's a really great character arc and the climax of it is one of my favorite scenes in anime.

I'm not really sure if this one counts but Shinji Ikari as well, for similar reasons, I get why people think he's annoying but it was an intentional decision from the creators to tell a beautiful character arc.
Aug 10, 2019 9:43 PM

Jul 2019
thevagus said:
Otae shimura from gintama. A lot of gintama fans hate her.

puneetsingh said:

Bruh, he is literally one of the most beloved characters in existance. There is just no doraemon without nobita.
Actually the people I talk either hate him or laugh about him.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

38 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 43 minutes ago

4 by filjoh »»
29 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

43 by EpicO4 »»
31 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
42 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 47 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.