Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 20, 2022 12:34 PM

Oct 2011
Wasn't a fan of the animation style when it first started, still not a fan, but I eventually got used to it. The music was AMAZING! Probably my favorite part. I liked the characters a lot and their dynamic. Overall, I really enjoyed it.
Jul 2, 2022 4:37 AM

Jan 2020
I really enjoy the background music that is being used, and of course the art and animation are impressive. But, half-way through and what's been most interesting so far has been the character development. I sort of was expecting to be indifferent toward Galo, but he's been pretty well-done and I look forward to seeing the rest of his growth.

The characters were definitely one of the best parts of this movie. There was a lot of chemistry between Galo and Lio, and a lot of their banter was rather amusing. I don't care that much for firefighters, but I had no problem enjoying this.

I really enjoyed this.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 2, 2022 9:42 PM
Jul 2014
commonxreaction said:
I sort of was expecting to be indifferent toward Galo...

No kidding, I don't think ANYONE cared about Galo before they watched Promare for various reasons.
Jul 3, 2022 2:15 AM

Jan 2020
Equallady said:
commonxreaction said:
I sort of was expecting to be indifferent toward Galo...

No kidding, I don't think ANYONE cared about Galo before they watched Promare for various reasons.

I mean, I definitely looked at him and was like, "This dude is just a poor imitation of Kamina." And I blame Trigger for that, because the drew him. But, it just goes to show why you shouldn't sleep on characters, they'll surprise you.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 3, 2022 2:51 PM
Jul 2014
commonxreaction said:
Equallady said:

I mean, I definitely looked at him and was like, "This dude is just a poor imitation of Kamina." And I blame Trigger for that, because the drew him.

Yeah, Galo being another Kamina is definitely their fault. I can't believe they had him drawn with blue hair. Did they really think that people weren't going to notice? That's why Galo is constantly trashed on compared to his co-star, Lio.
Jul 12, 2022 6:18 AM

Jul 2014
Yeah, this movie finally confirms my suspicisions about what Trigger are as a studio, or perhaps what they have become since their early successes: all style, absolutely zero substance, all while also just ripping themselves off as pure nostalgia bait for better series they've done (remember when everyone hated The Force Awakens for just being a modern A New Hope?). Sure, the style is fantastic here, with almost every frame being visually gorgeous, but this is probably Trigger/Gainax's least substantial work to date; Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill at least had some substance here and there to hold the style together, but not this. And this leans so hard on imagery and plot ideas used by Gurren Lagann that it doesn't even really hold up as its own narrative.

On a "plot" perspective, Kray being a "twist villain" was blatantly obvious from his first frame on screen, but there was initially an interesting idea there of him doing evil things for the greater good. However, all of that was ruined by turning him pure evil for the big, overly drawn-out final fight with the Deus X Machina. And speaking of that, I think that's the thing I hate about this movie the most: being self-aware of how cheap that robot's existence and the general writing of the second half of the movie is does not excuse it. If anything, I just felt more insulted by their smug expression of that self-awareness. And Trigger's usual obligatory aliens twist is so overdone at this point that it's more of a twist when it doesn't happen.

All that said, I still had fun for the most part, though the big fight against Kray in the second half was ridiculously drawn out and could've been cut down to make things in the first half make a bit more sense (had I not watched the prequel shorts yesterday, I'd have had a much harder time understanding what was going on at first). I just wish this sort of insane visual spectacle was applied to something with actual substance for a change.

7/10
Jul 19, 2022 5:32 AM

Feb 2021
First of all, I gotta say, the art style and animation are like no other. This has a certain charm to it that rivals and overtakes most of Ufotable's finest works imo. I love their character designs. I'm sure the art style is also complimenting that to some extent. Galo's design looks the best to me and Aina is the hottest 🥵🥵🥵

As cool as the Great World Blaze and having combustion powers sounds, that shit would truly tear apart whatever peace we have left and the crime rate would be through the roof.

Didn't expect the boss of Mad Burnish to be a badass trap. Also, I somewhat predicted that the Burnish/mutated people were like an oppressed group going against the whole world. Realised this when Galo and Lio were fighting and Lio said they had a reason and didn't indiscriminately kill people.

I hated Colonel Vulcan the moment he entered the plot. It was so satisfying to see his actual, pathetic form pop out of the Freeze Force armour.

They foreshadowed that the fire within Burnish is a sentient organism, back when Lio said that they follow what the flame inside of them says.

Thank god, I wasn't the only one who thought the former version of Deus X Machina looked very meh lol. I'm glad they gave it that black armour drip and named it Lio de Galon.

Holy shit! I didn't expect Kray to be a Burnish in disguise. Now it makes sense why he got his hand chopped.

I think they fixed the time-space rift thus, breaking the link between the Promare and Earth which in turn meant that they extinguished the connection between Promare and the Burnish.

It had a really amazing Cyberpunk + Mecha + Fire Force feel to it and I loved every bit of it. Many compare it to Kill la Kill, TTGL, and Fire Force but I've not seen them so it doesn't bother me the slightest. Honestly, one of the best standalone movies I have seen. The story, the feels, and of course the animation was amazing. Also, how can I forget the music? The music playing the bg throughout this movie were absolute bangers. The Mad Burnish theme was amazing. Overall the OST was really good and fit well with the overall theme. It's a truly underrated movie. I agree that the characters weren't really fleshed out and could have been done better and there are some plot conveniences here and there but I don't really mind. I have not seen a movie or an anime in quite a while that has made me this excited and hyped. This is definitely one of the best anime put out by Studio Trigger imo. This is getting a 9/10 from me and going straight to my favourites.

Gonna watch Lio-hen and Galo-hen now lol.
DeonXJul 19, 2022 5:36 AM

Aug 5, 2022 8:45 AM
Nov 2020
Kamina keeps getting reincarnated, first as a nudist spy with glowing nipples and now he a firefighting mecha pilot
Sep 14, 2022 9:35 AM
Aug 2015
WOW I didn't expect this!! I wish I had seen this in theaters, this movie is amazing!! The music, the colours, the story, the characters the atmosphere!! I wish there was a whole series about it, you can't compare it to Fire Force. Probably my most favourite anime movie of all times omg
Sep 24, 2022 1:55 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Best moments:

STUPID EYELID

&

I'm no guy. I'm A COMPUTER

Just re-watching to confirm my 10/10 score for this movie; and yeah. I still stand by it.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 30, 2022 1:41 PM

Dec 2018
Best idiotic movie i've seen in a while
Oct 7, 2022 9:19 PM
May 2016
Needs more Mouse!!!
Nov 6, 2022 10:35 PM
Nov 2016
it was very funny, and the pretty colors turned my brain off
Jan 4, 2023 7:54 PM
Jul 2014
LivingDerpFace said:
Very cool femboy! 8/10
Wow, that's really sad.
Jan 6, 2023 4:43 PM
Dec 2022
the great fight scenes make up for everythin else is lacks
Feb 20, 2023 8:21 AM

May 2015
Not my favourite Trigger movie but really cool nonetheless!

Mar 2, 2023 7:34 PM

Mar 2022
Man this is so hype, this is so hype for me! So much action that it got my blood pumping, I swear Galo and Lio were the best things in this film, the animation was just incredible I love how it blends in CGI with 2D animation and I stress the music. Oh man the music was incredible to listen to. There was quite a bit of character development and it wasn’t just Galo and Lio that stole the show, the other characters were definitely a highlight especially Fray Foresight who I thought was a great villain in that. 

Seeing as this was made by Studio Trigger it makes me want to go after Gurren Lagann next, seriously this film was such a rush, I really did enjoy this a whole lot it was so good.
Mar 21, 2023 8:13 PM
Jul 2021
"Good soup" - Angry Darth Vader Clone
Apr 30, 2023 2:43 PM

Aug 2018
Why did I take all this time to watch Promare? It's awesome.
May 26, 2023 1:27 AM
Oct 2019
This is probably the most Trigger anime they are yet to make.
Jun 13, 2023 8:11 AM

Jul 2021
Promare is a series that owes much of its appeal to Studio Trigger's unique visual style and direction. Without those elements, the storytelling and character development would have been average, a 5 out of 10. Initially, the first half of the series might feel overwhelming due to its over-the-top nature, but as the movie progresses, one can become accustomed to it. The fight scenes in Promare are visually stunning, but they can also be confusing at times, making it difficult to follow the action and determine who is fighting whom. While the main characters, Galo and Lio, are likable, they lack depth in their development. The supporting characters are even less developed and mostly serve to fill out the cast. The movie could have delved into Galo's childhood or explored Lio's motivations for joining the Burnish rebellion to give them more substance. Promare tries to convey a message about prejudice and acceptance, but it does so in a somewhat heavy-handed manner. The movie is quite explicit in making its point, which some viewers may find preachy or overly didactic. Despite its flaws, Promare remains an enjoyable and entertaining movie. It is worth watching for its visually stunning art, intense action sequences, and captivating soundtrack. However, considering the limitations of a movie format, it could have benefited from a television series format to allow for better character development and storytelling.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 14, 2023 3:24 PM
Jul 2021
god this movie was so good. the colors, the animation, the story? TOO GOOD. solid 10 out of 10 I highly recommend this movie plus the soundtrack was goated
Dec 10, 2023 10:42 AM

Dec 2022
All hype, no substance.

Shaded Horizon

Dec 14, 2023 12:37 AM
Feb 2015
The animation was good although the pacing and character development was rushed and feel packed. It reminds me of war that happened during the RL and the vilains feel cartoonish a bit. Didn't expect it to be similar to TTGL and was expecting something original, not gonna lie about it. However, as seen from the movie it is fanservices to their fans and I was glad to watch it.
Jan 16, 12:51 PM
May 2021
Good film just gave me kill la kill & gurren laggan vibes. Unfortunately didn’t watch the prequel so cant say about the full experience.
Jan 19, 6:08 PM
Jun 2016
Feels like a rough draft of a better script.
Jan 24, 10:56 PM

Dec 2022
fuckin' incredible man total masterpiece an air conditioned flaming rollercoaster through a neon icy volcano
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » What Is With People Only Watching Promare Just For Lio?

Equallady - Jan 31, 2021

13 by Equallady »»
Jan 17, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Why Don't People Care About/Like Main Character Galo?

Equallady - Feb 18, 2021

13 by HEBI_TAN »»
Oct 12, 2023 3:20 AM

» (!) Do watch Galo-hen / Lio-hen after *22 min* of the Promare movie

Rob7 - Oct 20, 2020

5 by callmethebigG »»
Sep 19, 2022 9:49 PM

» Promare Blu-Ray?

Shiki278 - Sep 19, 2019

5 by Fishb0i »»
Jan 22, 2022 5:29 PM

» Did you know that this is Yaoi? ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Jan 3, 2020

88 by Sukeroku_IV »»
Jul 29, 2021 7:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.