Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 1, 2019 5:01 PM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

Nov 2017
I hadn’t heard about this until the “related series” alert i got here on MAL. As a long-time Tenchi fan that makes me sad, firstly cuz there doesn’t seem to be much (if any) buzz, and also cuz maybe it means i just stopped being on the lookout for new content.
We still need you Tenchi, i swear! 🥺
“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”
Aug 1, 2019 10:17 PM

Oct 2010
Amidst a sea of disinterested mehs from fans who don't care anymore, the #1 most emotional response has been discovered:
bledsoe60 said:
This is the literal worst harem anime I've ever watched, I'm honestly upset that they are making more, I thought I was done with this garbage long ago
(I am actually laughing out loud.)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it more than I ever was to OVA 4 :)
nDroae said:
Copied from a post I wrote on ANN: "Just a wishful thought, Tenchi teaching his child(ren) about their Juraiian heritage and passing on the legacy would be a great thing to see, regardless of its place within a novel narrative I know nothing about."

nDroae said:
TheKing528 said:
Just give Tenchi the harem ending he deserves already!

You wanna know? Here's what to expect, from what I've read by those familiar with the books, via posts on UselessTenchi.org and Anime News Network:

Here's an interesting post by AstroNerdBoy:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5177249#5177249
Well, even for a Tenchi fan like myself, OVA 4 was a tough slog. I've seen summaries of the GXP novels, but short of reading them myself, a lot of what was discussed in OVA 4 that related to the GXP novels was just babble to me. For Japanese fans, it was great stuff that filled in some gaps in the story or otherwise made things better in terms of lore.

OVA 5 may be better though. I don't think OVA 4 was really what Kajishima-sensei wanted AIC to produce. He's been publishing his color storyboard "-IF-" doujinshi series, which basically is the story he wanted to tell. I think the financially troubled AIC didn't want to commit to that kind of project, so Kajishima-sensei just did Nobuyuki's wedding and an info-dump on why Kenshi had to go to Geminar (and the impact of events in Geminar on Jurai and Earth).

OVA 5 is more in line with what Kajishima-sensei originally wanted to do. But it will piss off those who didn't want to accept
Aug 2, 2019 12:05 AM

Aug 2015
WE ARE STILL HERE,HYYYPEEEE!!!!!!
Aug 3, 2019 3:30 PM

Mar 2013
Just tell me there's actually gonna be Tenchi in Tenchi Muyo OVA 5? Unlike OVA 4 which left me going "This makes no sense to my American mind. What did I miss"

I just want one of two things:
Tenchi making a choice
Tenchi learning to control his Light Hawk Wings
Aug 3, 2019 8:56 PM

Aug 2013
I'm very excited to see this. I've been a huge Tenchi Muyo fan since the beginning and I'm still am! I can't wait to see more of Washu and Tenchi.
Aug 4, 2019 8:05 AM

Aug 2014
broodo said:
Just tell me there's actually gonna be Tenchi in Tenchi Muyo OVA 5? Unlike OVA 4 which left me going "This makes no sense to my American mind. What did I miss"

I just want one of two things:
Tenchi making a choice

Agreed. I hated OVA 4, it was awful. What was even the point of it? Everyone stood around talking about characters from the spin-off series. The main characters barely exist in that OVA
Aug 8, 2019 10:00 PM

Oct 2010
New promo image expands to NOT show Tenchi but instead show best girl Kiriko from best spinoff GXP (suck it overrated Geminar wooooo~)
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-08-08/5th-tenchi-muyo-ryo-ohki-ova-season-reveals-more-cast-staff/.149876

broodo said:

Yeah, I don't think he'll be fighting anything after reading this; seems the writers of the OVA universe have ruined him as an action hero:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5177695#5177695

SNR: "The kami side of Tenchi is now the most powerful thing in existence. I think the 3 goddesses and the counter-actor thing are at a lower dimensionality or whatever they would call it. Besides showing Tenchi grow into his kami-self, there isn't anything that can legitimately challenge him, right? Maybe that's why they switched to the spinoff series."

Spastic Minnow: "Yes, I think that's why the focus move to others. Tenchi is just too powerful. He doesn't understand his abilities but if he's attacked- he should be able to stop anything."

That doesn't mean it has to be like OVA 4, but we'll see :P
nDroae said:
Episode outline:

• Women having committee meeting
• Women having committee meeting in bikinis
• Women having committee meeting naked
• Women having committee meeting in sleepwear
Aug 10, 2019 4:33 PM

Nov 2008
There's hype from me, because there bringing back my favorite girl from Tenchi GXP, Kiriko Masaki

Aug 22, 2019 2:29 PM

Jul 2014
i dunno what to feel anymore.

But yeah, more tenchi stuff that i will hoard on my cloud hahaha
hana ga saita yo
Aug 27, 2019 8:17 PM

Aug 2016
Whats the point of another tenchi series without ayeka fighting ryoko over tenchi?
:v
Aug 27, 2019 10:32 PM

Oct 2010
I got tired of watching them fight 18 years ago. I'd rather see how things are a decade or so after OVA 4, which is what this will be.
Sep 1, 2019 2:10 PM

Oct 2008
Just finished ova 4, and i was like, what the hell is this even.
First time i tried to follow the relations route since it has so many spnoff and whatnot, and what a big mistake it was.
I should have gone with release order, rather than going straight through ryououki.

Anyway, i kinda want to see the next ova batch.
Oct 5, 2019 5:28 PM

Mar 2010
One of my favorite series, the hype is real. And contrary to popular opinion, I really like the character designs but I also love the over the top look and style of 90s anime. Everything is too soft and round now...
Oct 5, 2019 5:40 PM

Oct 2010
I assume most of the people who care enough to criticize the designs think that the original Tenchi series' designs are better. When I saw the lady, my first thought was not "Hideous!" but rather, "Ah, another weird-looking space person." Tenchi has had weird-looking space people coming to visit since OVA 2. :D https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Seiryo_Tennan

plutomutt said:
Everything is too soft and round now...

During a group watch/rewatch of the first OVA early this year, this was one of my high IQ analyses:
nDroae said:
Tenchi sure does have a round head.

We (the same three guys) recently watched AIC's first El-Hazard OVA series for the first time, and I noticed its protagonist was noticeably both less round-faced and prettier than Tenchi... (the latter becomes essential to the plot)
Oct 7, 2019 6:47 AM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

Nov 2017
nDroae said:
Tenchi has had weird-looking space people coming to visit since OVA 2. :D https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Seiryo_Tennan

Ah yes, Seiryo... to this day, still one of my favorite dub voices 😆
“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”
Oct 8, 2019 1:24 AM

Oct 2010
OVA release starts next season (Winter 2020). I assume it'll be another gradual release like OVA 4.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-10-08/5th-tenchi-muyo-ova-season-reveals-more-cast-ending-song-artist-winter-2020-debut/.152003

Ryoka Yuzuki has joined the cast as the new character Jovia Jovis (romanization not official, character seen left in visual) Jovis is a sorcerer that dubs herself as "eternally 17 years old." Her beauty belies her perverted nature, and she treats Kenshi and Ryo-Ohki as playthings.
Nov 3, 2019 5:27 PM

Aug 2016

that trailer looks like more and more boring family reunions, instead of 90s harem fun dynamics. They should let that franchise die.
Nov 3, 2019 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
Oh wow I didn't realize they were still making anything Tenchi related. The rock I have lived under. I really enjoyed the series that I have seen but this may be a little too much imo. It's just past its prime and feels like it's being milked at this point. Who knows though, could be good.
Nov 3, 2019 7:24 PM

Oct 2010
MichaelJackson said:
If its not focused on Ayeka and Ryoko fighting over Tenchi while Mihoshi sleeps and Washu experiments burn the house, then I dont see any point on watching a 5th Season.
MichaelJackson said:
Whats the point of another tenchi series without ayeka fighting ryoko over tenchi?
MichaelJackson said:
that trailer looks like more and more boring family reunions, instead of 90s harem fun dynamics. They should let that franchise die.

Okay, you don't want to see Tenchi grow up and settle down and start a family. You want the zero-progress frozen time of a typical newspaper comic strip. That's fine. But they should do what I want instead. ;)

From the OVA 4 episode 1 thread:
nDroae said:
But isn't this The Franchise That Never Gives You What You Want?

Savasvania said:
I really enjoyed the series that I have seen but this may be a little too much imo. It's just past its prime and feels like it's being milked at this point. Who knows though, could be good.

The novel readers know, I guess. That sentiment is nothing new with Tenchi - fans of the original OVAs felt Tenchi Universe was a shallower and generally worse version, and fans of both hated Tenchi in Tokyo. Tenchi Muyo GXP was an easy target to label as "milking," because it used the Tenchi name but didn't even have Tenchi in it. (Yet I liked it more than a lot of titles that did have Tenchi as main character.) OVA 3 turned a lot of people off, and I think a lot of fans in the west regarded the franchise as a lost cause even before OVA 4 happened.

Not being excited for OVA 5 at all is the default, expected reaction.
Nov 3, 2019 8:59 PM

Aug 2016
nDroae said:
MichaelJackson said:
If its not focused on Ayeka and Ryoko fighting over Tenchi while Mihoshi sleeps and Washu experiments burn the house, then I dont see any point on watching a 5th Season.
MichaelJackson said:
MichaelJackson said:

Okay, you don't want to see Tenchi grow up and settle down and start a family. You want the zero-progress frozen time of a typical newspaper comic strip. That's fine. But they should do what I want instead. ;)

From the OVA 4 episode 1 thread:
nDroae said:
But isn't this The Franchise That Never Gives You What You Want?

Savasvania said:
I really enjoyed the series that I have seen but this may be a little too much imo. It's just past its prime and feels like it's being milked at this point. Who knows though, could be good.

The novel readers know, I guess. That sentiment is nothing new with Tenchi - fans of the original OVAs felt Tenchi Universe was a shallower and generally worse version, and fans of both hated Tenchi in Tokyo. Tenchi Muyo GXP was an easy target to label as "milking," because it used the Tenchi name but didn't even have Tenchi in it. (Yet I liked it more than a lot of titles that did have Tenchi as main character.) OVA 3 turned a lot of people off, and I think a lot of fans in the west regarded the franchise as a lost cause even before OVA 4 happened.

Not being excited for OVA 5 at all is the default, expected reaction.

You call that a progression? If I wanted to see an anime about a man settling down and starting his own family, I´d probably rewatch Usagi drop anime. Tenchi muyo does it in the most boring and awful way. Cobbler should stick to his last.
Nov 4, 2019 2:32 PM

Oct 2010
@MichaelJackson I call that "closure." The idea that anyone could actually want Tenchi to never settle down is so absurd that I'm not sure I can even comprehend it. That desire absolutely goes against what I've wanted from my first anime for two decades. Sorry for your loss of potential entertainment, I guess?
Nov 19, 2019 7:26 PM

Jun 2011
They really need to stop with this series. I watched the first ova of it and detested the shit out of it. Please no more of these crybaby characters and that mary sue crybaby little 9 year old girl that cries over an acquaintance she barely even spent time with leaving in the night of the carnival episode instead of holding back her emotions she's way too emotional. Just fucking end already, go home Tenchi you bland ass motherfucker. And grow up already you damn characters, it's 201freaking9!!!
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Feb 27, 2020 7:17 PM

Nov 2017
This comes out tomorrow, and from the trailer it looks atrocious. Please don't tell me Tenchi married anyone but Ryoko or Ayeka and made them his co-wives. I'll SCREEEEEEM!

I swear to God if Tenchi just married some random space person and Ayeka and Ryoko are just chilling like, "Cool", OMG.

But I think that's what we're going to get. Sometimes an author should just lose control of their universe. I like OVA 3 characters but please somebody adapt a real series. Just a cour, and end this thing.
Mar 6, 2020 8:39 PM
Mar 6, 2020 8:59 PM
Jan 2016
Just watched it and I was more bored. It was mostly just everyone sitting around a dumping exposition. I must have missed a lot because I have no idea what is going on. I haven't watched tenchi muyo since middle school (15 years ago for me)
Mar 6, 2020 9:04 PM
Oct 2007
Glad to see Ryoko and the other character make an appearance, but it was a lot of talking heads. That one scene with the awful off key animation was hard to look at. I never bothered with Ova4
Mar 7, 2020 5:15 PM

Oct 2010
In the end, as I think the early trailer may have suggested by showing Sasami still young, the more optimistic novel-readers were wrong about the child in the poster being Tenchi's; it's actually Kenshi. Well, that's a big disappointment. I couldn't tell whether Tenchi was married or not, so I assume not. Maybe the anime will get there someday, but now I wish the readers hadn't created that expectation.

On the other hand, it's great to see Kiriko after her wedding to Seina. Now I'm most looking forward to seeing more of her in the remaining five episodes, unless there are any developments coming with Tenchi. I hope Seina's other wives show up too.
Mar 15, 2020 11:38 PM
Sep 2016
nDroae said:
the more optimistic novel-readers were wrong about the child in the poster being Tenchi's; it's actually Kenshi. Well, that's a big disappointment.

Are you kidding me? I've been starving for more of War on Geminar's backstory to be developed and I'm so happy my boy Kenshi is back. I guess I'm not really a "traditional" fan of the series since my interest in the franchise as a whole was mostly sparked after I picked up Geminar since it looked like (and was) a very interesting mecha series. I watched some of of the other Ryo-Ohkis and to be honest they were pretty dull but the opportunity to see Kenshi's home life before returning to his motherland has me hyped because it's hinted at a lot in Geminar but never explicitly shown except for one flashback that shows Kenshi being hypnotized. I just hope that eventually we get to see some of the upbringing that made Kenshi into the purpose-bred, yet appropriately cute, Gary Stu human weapon he is in Geminar.
MinuteBraceletMar 15, 2020 11:44 PM
Mar 16, 2020 4:32 PM

Oct 2010
@MinuteBracelet Geminar was the first anime I ever picked up during its Japanese release, but I stopped watching it halfway through and didn't finish it until five or six years later. Nice girls, dull show. I'm far from the only one who feels that way; it's just another case of a divided fanbase. If Geminar fans are excited to see more of that kid, good for them.
Mar 19, 2020 6:23 PM

Oct 2010
It was a really nice surprise earlier today, seeing ANN report that Seina's other wives and Kikuko Inoue will be joining.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-03-19/5th-tenchi-muyo-ova-season-casts-kikuko-inoue-aya-hisakawa-nana-mizuki-mariko-suzuki/.157668

But just now I looked at one of the linked sources....
https://mantan-web.jp/photo/20200319dog00m200009000c.html?page=002

What am I looking at?

Is that Sasami? Yeah. That's Sasami.

Are we getting another time jump!?

And aaaall the hype comes flooding right back in. If it's after a time jump that big, go ahead and sit around tables talking all you want.

EDIT: Got too excited and neglected to even look at the rest of the pictures at the same source. Episode 2 physical release design:

its_happening.gif
nDroaeMar 19, 2020 6:52 PM

More topics from this board

» Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki 5th Season Episode 6

L-Mo-Reppin - May 29, 2021

8 by HimeCrycho »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:28 AM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki 5th Season Episode 6 Discussion

BartCreator - Nov 3, 2023

0 by BartCreator »»
Nov 3, 2023 12:50 AM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki 5th Season Episode 4 Discussion

Yubisoft - Feb 16, 2023

0 by Yubisoft »»
Feb 16, 2023 1:13 PM

» Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki 5th Season Episode 4 Discussion

L-Mo-Reppin - Nov 27, 2020

8 by Hesmiyu »»
Jun 14, 2022 6:58 AM

» Will this get a dub?

-ShadowClaw- - Jul 31, 2021

1 by ims-tokyo »»
Aug 16, 2021 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.