Forum Settings
Forums

Getting headaches after reading digital manga

New
Jul 23, 2019 11:13 AM

May 2019
So whenever I read any manga in a digital format for around like a period of time I always get headaches, eyes start to hurt and I feel kind of 'groggy' (Idk if that's a good word to describe how I feel) This doesn't happen if I read comics, watch something, or read manga physically.

Does anyone feel like this reading manga digitally? Or is it just me?
Jul 23, 2019 1:04 PM

Jun 2019
By the sound of things that don't give you headaches, it might be related to the bright white pages. Try dimming brightness or reading a colored manga.

Jul 23, 2019 6:27 PM
Apr 2015
I would also guess it has something to do with the brightness. It could also be that you're straining your eyes to read the small text.
Jul 23, 2019 6:33 PM

Sep 2018
Might be the screen, I like to turn down the brightness when I read manga digitally, staring at a bright screen for a whole can make your eyes hurt like hell. Reading in general also just makes me a little drowsy, that could happen to you too maybe.
Jul 24, 2019 8:43 AM

Jan 2019
I have exactly the same problem, which I why I buy physical copies of manga I want to read when available.

As others have said, turn the screen brightness down, but I always go a step further and reduce the contrast greatly and soften the RGB colors in the monitor, some people are sensitive to blue light, I always end up turning the blue coloring down almost all the way. Right now my monitor has a soft yellow-orange that is very easy to look at. I also started using a larger monitor so my eyes are straining less, and getting some computer glasses or properly coated subscription glasses helps as well.
Jul 24, 2019 8:55 AM
May 2019
I don't have issue with it but I prefer normal non-digital manga.
Jul 24, 2019 11:13 PM

Feb 2017
i believe your having eye strain.

i was having the same problem a couple of months ago. I was getting eye strain whenever i used any device with screen for more than an hour or so. What i did was took a break off anything with a digital screen like smartphone or computer etc for 2 weeks and after that it was like my brain or eyes whatever got restarted and i was again able to use my smartphone and pc for hours without any headache or eyestrain. Though it still comes back especially if i use computer for more than 4 or so hours. i try to keep away from computer and use only smartphone.

And it goes without saying that you should reduce your digital screens brightness and use a blue light filter at night on your screens.

There are also special glasses for computer screen on market but i dont know if they works or not you can check them out. They say those glasses protects your eyes while looking any kind of digital screen.

Jul 25, 2019 5:13 AM

Jun 2014
Virtually all the Manga I've read was in front of my 32" LCD screen, but I've never experienced headaches so far.

There's a free program called "F.lux," which can make your monitor easier on your eyes, especially at night.

Jul 25, 2019 6:34 PM

Jul 2016
as has already been mentioned, that definitely sounds like eye strain. it happens to me from time to time as well
and the only way i can relieve it is by simply taking a break. also lowering your screen brightness will do wonders!
and try to make sure that you're not unconsciously letting the space between your eyes and the screen dwindle slowly
as you're reading - but it's best to try going for intermittent breaks between chapters or volumes whenever you can.

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
Jul 26, 2019 10:37 AM

Nov 2018
It's probably the blue light from your screen. You can go and turn that down in your settings!
Also maybe your screen brightness and maybe turning up your font size will help.

🌟 current favorite song
💖 cute gift for u

you REALLY want to click my dragons...
Jul 26, 2019 10:58 AM

May 2019
I agree with what everyone else is saying. It might just be your settings. If your phone has a night shift mode, that might help too. I don't get headaches, but my eyes do get strained after reading manga on my phone for hours at a time.
Jul 26, 2019 12:28 PM

Dec 2016
as someone with genetic migraines, i get what you mean. as others have mentioned, lower your brightness (but making sure it's not too dark to the point you strain yourself to read). minimising time on your device is also pretty important (making sure to look at things in the distance), and, if you read on your phone, you may want to use a larger screen instead (for larger text).

if the pain gets worse, you can also start experimenting with the various massages for eye strain.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 13, 2019 1:30 PM
Aug 2019
Hi.
I only read digital manga.
But I keep the brightness nearly down all the way so it won’t affect my eyes, try doing that.
Aug 19, 2019 4:08 PM

Sep 2014
This is why I like physical books better. Plus it's easier to flip through the pages if I want to look at certain scenes again. I also like to lower the screen dimness and use "Eye comfort/Night" mode on the laptop/phone in a well lit room

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Aug 25, 2019 5:50 AM
Dec 2013
Brightness, blue light filter or use an ebook?
Aug 25, 2019 11:12 AM

Sep 2018
I don't get headaches but I do get tendonititis pains from scrolling continuously for hours on my laptop
Nov 3, 2020 4:08 PM

Feb 2018
As other people said, try lowering your screen brightness while reading.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

16 by PushedCaraway »»
17 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1056 by Francis_0 »»
42 minutes ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

377 by Nissy »»
51 minutes ago

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - Apr 23

3 by GudBoy »»
3 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

67 by rurina-chan »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.