Forum Settings
Forums

What's an anime that's supposed to be sad but didn't resonate with you at all?

New
Jul 3, 2019 7:53 PM

Feb 2019
For me, it's Clannad. I just couldn't get through the art style to even develop an attachment to anyone.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 3, 2019 7:58 PM

Dec 2018
Your Lie in April. I don't know what it was but I could not for the life of me get connected at all.

Now I'm not through it yet but 3D Real Girl has me biting my nails in fear of a third act cancer reveal or something.
I'm so old my first Captain was Captain Avatar
I'm Too Old for This Otaku Life Blog
Jul 3, 2019 7:59 PM

May 2018
uh def koe no katatchi, like it was more pity. like a bad pity. It just wasn't emotional at all felt so try hard.
OH and, okay i loved the movie, but Grave of The Fireflies did not make me cry-and i cry at EVERYTHING. I think because it was such a bitter and harsh portrayal of war and death (something more akin to death ive experienced), it left me more....introspective rather than sobbing.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Jul 3, 2019 8:07 PM

Jan 2018
Haven't been really able to get into March comes in like a lion, EF was supposed to be sad but that felt meh to me. Lastly, unholy God the end of Angel Beats is so damn overhyped.
What a beautiful Duwang
Jul 3, 2019 8:08 PM

Aug 2017
Violet Evergarden. I can't even take it seriously. The drama is so forced and fake. How can I feel sorry for a side character? Especially in the supposedly sad scene of the girl and her mom from episode 10. Its just bad, stupid, boring and annoying. 80% of the anime is the same shit. Pretty colours.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 3, 2019 8:09 PM
Jan 2018
Every "the cute girl obviously dies" anime.

Feb 2019
OldOtakuLife said:
Your Lie in April. I don't know what it was but I could not for the life of me get connected at all.

Now I'm not through it yet but 3D Real Girl has me biting my nails in fear of a third act cancer reveal or something.

I guess she didn't reach you, lol,,,

Nov 2017
Definitely Clannad

<character count>
Jul 3, 2019 8:11 PM

Oct 2018
Anohana. It was really boring for me, I didn't connect with the characters at all because of that, which is pretty weird 'cause I always have feelings with almost every anime/manga which I watch/read (If I liked them obviously).
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso didn't make me sad at the ending but I still like that show.

Be Forever
Yorozuya
Jul 3, 2019 8:18 PM
Mar 2016
A Silent Voice felt way too slow for me to feel anything
Angel Beats felt way too fast for me to feel anything
Jul 3, 2019 8:18 PM

Sep 2018
For me, it would be Kimi no Na wa. Now I'm definitely not saying that it's a bad movie, hell, it's one of my favorites, but I felt like there wasn't anything that would get me emotional.
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
Jul 3, 2019 8:19 PM

Jul 2017
A Place Further Than The Universe. Maybe I'm misremembering it, but the one scene that was supposed to be tear-jerking really made no sense to me why everyone was crying. I could partially understand Shirase's reason (albeit barely understand) but the rest seemed like they were crying just because everyone else was
Jul 3, 2019 8:27 PM

Nov 2018
A silent voice.

Idk I understood most of the messages that the movie presented itself but I wasn't as moved or shocked or teary-eyed as I hoped I would have been. Maybe people who've experience bullying and suicide and harassment would have resonated with this movie more, but I haven't experienced all those things, so I wasn't.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jul 3, 2019 8:28 PM

Sep 2018
Your Lie in april. Wasn't sad at all for me. It was pretty boring.
Jul 3, 2019 8:35 PM

Jul 2017
anohana

to me it seems like the anime is trying to be emotional and melodramatic but i don't like the way things are presented
Jul 3, 2019 8:38 PM

Aug 2018
I can only think of "Angel Beats". It was boring and too fast paced.
Jul 3, 2019 9:43 PM

Aug 2018
I don't remember much of it tbh, but it had a lot going on. Maybe it wasn't that big of an issue
GERXjakobson said:
Banat_Lo said:
I can only think of "Angel Beats". It was boring and too fast paced.

How can something be fast-paced and the same time boring?
I mean Angel Beats was boring, but the fast pacing definetly was not
the problem
Jul 3, 2019 9:45 PM

Apr 2016
Angel beats for sure. The ending was just childish, and it held no emotional value for me tbh. Maybe because I thought the characters were uninteresting, so I had no attachment to them. It's something that you cry to when you're 13, but I just couldn't find it sad.

And a silent voice as well. It was a deaf girl getting bullied, and then attaching a bullshit "friendship is EVERYTHING" message at the end. It was more so infuriating than sad. The animation really carried that movie.
Jul 3, 2019 9:46 PM

Feb 2019
GERXjakobson said:
Anohana. Maybe it's because I'm no and never was a hikikomori who hates his life
and never met a ghost-girl who I have known before.

:( menma, we found you.. legit destroyed me
Jul 3, 2019 9:47 PM

Feb 2019
-Senpapi said:
Angel beats for sure. The ending was just childish, and it held no emotional value for me tbh. Maybe because I thought the characters were uninteresting, so I had no attachment to them. It's something that you cry to when you're 13, but I just couldn't find it sad.

People recommend that one to me a lot, I'll have to try it.
Jul 3, 2019 9:54 PM

Dec 2016
MAL's holy quartet of bad, overhyped drama writing:

Angel Beats!
Anohana
Clannad & AS
Shigatsu
Jul 3, 2019 10:04 PM

Feb 2019
Arkab said:
MAL's holy quartet of bad, overhyped drama writing:

Angel Beats!
Anohana
Clannad & AS
Shigatsu

Reddit's too. You're just missing plastic memories
Jul 3, 2019 10:15 PM
Jul 2018
Anohana
Angel Beats
Your lie in april
A silent voice
Clannad

And many more try-too-hard-to-make-you-cry animes
Jul 3, 2019 10:32 PM

Jun 2017
Anohana mainly because I just hated all of its characters
Jul 3, 2019 10:33 PM

Nov 2011
Charlotte is a joke. It's rushed and kinda wacky.

Jul 3, 2019 11:07 PM

Apr 2012
Air

Its mystical lore about past memories felt out of place and contrived. Should've kept it about present characters and her ailment.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jul 3, 2019 11:11 PM

Aug 2017
Too many but most remarkable are :Ano Hana, Your name , Your lie in April , The wind rises, A silent voice , Summer wars.
I rarely cry for movies and shows,usually I just feel a lump in throath during a sad scene.However I have actually cried mutlipe times while watching ATLA (it is the only show for which I have cried)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2019 11:24 PM
Jul 2018
AnoHana, never felt for that.

I thought it's dumb that all their lives are a mess, because her death happened, when they were like 5 or 6. They were just a bunch of kids, who hang out together. I don't even know who I played with, when I was 6 and these people are more damaged than her own PARENTS.

Also I dislike it, when an anime tries to force me to see a character in a certain way. Everyone was like "oh that girl is so angelic", and the now the girls in their teenage age are like "she is so pure and wonderful and I'm not" - sweetie, of course you are not, since you aren't a little kid anymore lol

The girls' character design looked also weird. She had the same baby face, but a taller body, that was uncomfortable to look at lol

Couldn't believe the whole premise for the drama and couldn't feel for it.
Jul 4, 2019 12:50 AM

Nov 2016
Anohana, it was boring I hated the characters and ended up dropping it after 4 eps
Jul 4, 2019 12:57 AM

Sep 2018
Literally every supposedly 'tear jerker' anime ever.
Clannad, Shigatsu, Anohana, Hotaru no Haka. The worst of the lot is defn Anohana tho.
Jul 4, 2019 1:04 AM

Sep 2015
Plastic memories for me. It was just so illogical how the androids were given an 8-year life span and no longer that I became completely disconnected with the story
Jul 4, 2019 1:09 AM

Oct 2018
Your name
Your lie in April
Clannad
A silent voice

Not sure why most of the people find them emotional they were pretty boring in my opinion but your name visual and animation was really good though.
Ri22rkJul 4, 2019 1:19 AM
Jul 4, 2019 1:11 AM

Nov 2013
Several of them actually.
- Anohana (rated 5)
- Nagi no Asukara (dropped it)
- Violet Evergarden (rated 7)
- Angel Beats (rated 6)

I guess I'm just not much of a fan of melodrama.

Jul 4, 2019 1:16 AM

Aug 2016
I want to eat your pancreas - Terrible movie. Basic, predictable, run of the mill garbage movie. Felt nothing through the film. Characters were horrible.

Your Lie in April - How can I feel anything if every episode there is a character crying. Or every little thing is over dramatic to where you think.. (no person their age even thinks or acts like this) I remember the main guy fell into a pool or some shit and had like a 3 minute weird internal monologue about his feelings for a girl. So overdramatic.. its like KH/Final Fantasy on crack.
Jul 4, 2019 1:21 AM

Apr 2017
Clannad and Anohana

They were super dull and the characters were plain. Boring af. Nothing much in their stories.

EDIT. I would also like to add Violet Evergarden, I don't get the hype. I only liked the stunning animation because they copied the design of Saber from Fate/ series. However, the story wasn't that appealing.
JerryKen10Jul 4, 2019 1:26 AM
Jul 4, 2019 1:22 AM

Nov 2016
Definitely Violet Evergarden, Anohana, Angel Beats, Maquia, and any Shinkai movie.

I thought Your Lie in April was excellent but I didn't get that emotional throughout.
Pixel_VapourJul 4, 2019 1:27 AM
Jul 4, 2019 1:37 AM
Dec 2017
Shichisei no Subaru is a good example of this. The whole scenario was sad but I didn't actually feel that way at all. The characters were boring and I just couldn't connect with them.
Jul 4, 2019 5:37 AM

Dec 2016
Anohana For me. i heard it was a tearjerker when i watched it but it didnt resonate with me
Jul 4, 2019 5:43 AM

Feb 2019
Anohana, i didn't felt sad at all when i was watching it
Jul 4, 2019 5:44 AM

Jul 2016
Angel Beats, for sure.
The comedy is really good, but whenever the big sad moments came around all I really felt was "oh... okay"
Maybe I'll give it another shot someday, but not planning on it any time soon
Jul 4, 2019 5:54 AM

Jun 2017
Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho, Violet Evergarden and obviously Angel Beats

And most Shinkai movies. I didn't knew they're supposed to be sad lol
Jul 4, 2019 6:01 AM
Apr 2017
Angel beats, hands down. I was genuinely surprised when after watching it I started reading of people who'd actually cried or found it incredibly emotional. I never felt any attachment for any of the characters, the pacing was horrendous and the ending phoned in and uninspired, so far as I'm concerned. Wish I could have liked it as much as most other people, but there you go.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jul 4, 2019 6:02 AM

Dec 2016
like several other people has written too, i didn't find your lie in april sad in the slightest. couldn't get attached enough to the characters.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jul 4, 2019 6:03 AM
Jul 2018
fREE! had a lot of 'emotional' moments or at least it tried to have. The melodrama was so over the top that it was definitely annoying. And the characters had the emotional strenght of children. And don't even get me started on High Speepeed!

Shingeki no Kyojin had a lot of tragedy. Characters dying left and right and people crying over it. To me, the deaths were bland and far from being impactful since they mattered little to me.

Jul 4, 2019 6:13 AM

Nov 2014
Oh my God, this trend was made for me.

Superns18 said:
For me, it's Clannad. I just couldn't get through the art style to even develop an attachment to anyone.
For me Clannad was one of them too. Felt like they're wasting too much time and episodes in other characters instead of developing the main couple and their relationship. And it didn't help the fact that Nagisa looks, acts and sounds like a 4 year old girl, despite being one year older than Tomoya. And Clannad is not even the worst case.

VioletDress said:
Anohana, i didn't felt sad at all when i was watching it
I was angry when i watched it. Almost every character of the main cast was borderline unlikeable and unsympathetic, being a bunch of overreacting drama queens wallowing in self-pity.

Thunderbird227 said:
Plastic memories for me. It was just so illogical how the androids were given an 8-year life span and no longer that I became completely disconnected with the story
Plastic memories give priority being sad than making sense, filling the story and world building with plot holes.

WaterCooler said:
Charlotte is a joke. It's rushed and kinda wacky.
And a pretty bad one.
Jul 4, 2019 6:16 AM

Sep 2014
Shitgatsu is an obvious one and yeah, it can only make you angry not sad tbh...

Nagi no Asukara was supposed to be a tearjerker too? I've only been frustrated by the stupid characters and their love dramas. Incredibly annoying show.
Jul 4, 2019 6:23 AM

Apr 2015
There are many more sad anime that don't resonate with me than ones that actually do, but the one I felt more disdain for was Your Lie In April.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jul 4, 2019 7:15 AM

Feb 2019
your lie in April, the drama felt forced and unnatural at times.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jul 4, 2019 9:55 AM

Jul 2016
Probably Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai. It was supposed to be a melodrama, but i don't get connected. I was hoping that it could make me sad as much as Your Lie in April since i love melodrama show, but it failed. The music ost was good tho, yet it was misplaced.

Some users said Anohana, Platic Memories, SWKNU, Angel Beats before. Well, i can't argue more, each user has different taste. However, those series are good reccomendation for new anime fans, especially for those who loves melodrama series.

Jul 5, 2019 7:09 PM

Aug 2018
Silent Voice but the story was good doe
B O C C H I  S W E E P
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 8 hours ago

15 by Toooooooooohru »»
52 seconds ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Apr 25

49 by ProGoddess »»
9 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

42 by Leer »»
9 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 hours ago

95 by Toooooooooohru »»
10 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - Today

34 by -YaoiBoy- »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.