Forum Settings
Forums

Site redesign to match the more modern design style.

New
Jul 3, 2019 6:14 PM

Feb 2019
Similarly to reddit, which used to look very similar to the current MAL with its boxy design. A reskin of the site would help bring MAL to the more modern era with rounded corners and a more bubbly and friendly interface. I think that reddit did their redesign quite nicely and and it kept all of its core functions, it just got a nice fresh coat of paint over the interface.
Jul 3, 2019 6:19 PM

Jan 2009
im sure the API takes priority first but ye i agree, although MAL should not take ideas from the redesign of reddit though

i much prefer this simple/minimalism modern look of Anime Planet https://www.anime-planet.com/
Jul 3, 2019 6:57 PM

Feb 2019
deg said:
im sure the API takes priority first but ye i agree, although MAL should not take ideas from the redesign of reddit though

i much prefer this simple/minimalism modern look of Anime Planet https://www.anime-planet.com/

You're right, the design of Anime Plant does look nice. I'm mostly saying that MAL should adopt a design that looks more like Google's new material design 2.0 rather than the old boxy material design that almost all sites followed in the early 2000's. Most sites have had redesigns already but MAL is one of them that hasn't. If we can created modern looking profiles and signatures why can't we have a site that blends with the content that its users are creating? I don't care how long this takes I just want a reskin.
Jul 3, 2019 7:10 PM

Jan 2009
Futz_ said:
deg said:

You're right, the design of Anime Plant does look nice. I'm mostly saying that MAL should adopt a design that looks more like Google's new material design 2.0 rather than the old boxy material design that almost all sites followed in the early 2000's. Most sites have had redesigns already but MAL is one of them that hasn't. If we can created modern looking profiles and signatures why can't we have a site that blends with the content that its users are creating? I don't care how long this takes I just want a reskin.

yep although from what i observe a lot of users even some of the top admins here do not want to drastically change the look of the site though, like with the old owner DeNA they only made some little changes to the forum front page and redesigned the profile pages and lists designs thats about it

and there are even some real prototype/mockup designs suggested over the past here but they all been ignored by MAL so i will not hope much but at least you tried suggesting
Jul 3, 2019 11:35 PM

Dec 2016
Is it necessary? To me it's looks fine, clean and very organized, and I prefer the squared terminations, which give a sense of firmness, rather than the fluffy rounded ones, which give a sense of looseness.
Jul 4, 2019 1:01 AM

Oct 2015
A majority would probably hate it, just like the reddit redesign
Jul 4, 2019 1:08 AM

Feb 2014
I'm fine with MAL looking the way it is. It's simple and functional, without any unnecessary bells and whistles. I can't stand the touch friendly modern design most websites have these days, with everything arranged in giant blocks.
Jul 4, 2019 2:19 AM

Dec 2017
Reddit redesign is a horrible example imo. They sacrificed functionality for a "modern design" like Facebook/Twitter and it's just worse.
Keep the site as it is rather than replacing it with a worse CSS. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Redesign it with ease of use in mind, not some Twitter/Facebook copycat CSS that makes everything worse.
Reina_OrikasaJul 4, 2019 2:28 AM
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Jul 4, 2019 2:46 AM

Aug 2018
I like MAL's current layout, and I absolutely hate reddit's new design.

So hard disagree.
Jul 4, 2019 4:57 AM

Sep 2012
Well, they are doing something in this regard I think. Home page of MAL now has gradient colours! I hope they will add this to every page so we won't have to look at big white columns on left and right without dark mode.
Jul 4, 2019 5:13 AM

Nov 2017
I'll have to disagree, I think that this site looks pretty neat as of now.

Jul 18, 2019 5:52 AM
May 2011
reddit redesign is garbage though?
Jul 18, 2019 6:21 PM

Feb 2015
I don't get what's all these people's problem with new reddit. I disliked the old design so much, I couldn't use the site at all and only started visiting it once they revamped it.
So yeah, I'd like for MAL to get some new layout as well. Just let people choose which one they prefer.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jul 18, 2019 7:43 PM

Nov 2010
Please don't do this, the current design it's good and timeless. If they change the mal design it'll be just like those new boring sites, I like mal "old school" design better. And I didn't know that reddit had changed it's design, I don't use reddit, but now that I saw it I hated it.
Jul 19, 2019 3:19 AM

Aug 2014
Reddits new design is horrible, I have to use the old reddit versions just to look at it.

I don't want MAL to really get a redesign, I like it how it is for the most part, it's clean and works fine.

“I'm tired.”

Jul 19, 2019 10:40 AM

Jan 2019
Yeah, no thanks. Maybe its because I grew up on a windows 95 & 98, but the boxy utilitarian design of MAL serves it better than any 'look, I'm cute, friendly, and hip!' interface.

This site is mainly an anime database, if people are going to be turned off using the great tools provided by this site simply because it doesn't look pretty then they were probably not that big of anime fans to begin with.
Jul 19, 2019 10:50 AM

Mar 2015
I like MALs current design

One of the only reasons I frequent this site so much, instead of anime planet, anilist, or kitsu, is because of the design. It's simple and it suites the type of site it is.

I only think it needs to update some things, like the advanced search.
woah there
Jul 28, 2019 1:47 AM

Oct 2011
DiscoDespot said:
Yeah, no thanks. Maybe its because I grew up on a windows 95 & 98, but the boxy utilitarian design of MAL serves it better than any 'look, I'm cute, friendly, and hip!' interface.

This site is mainly an anime database, if people are going to be turned off using the great tools provided by this site simply because it doesn't look pretty then they were probably not that big of anime fans to begin with.

i disagree with you, i dont think it is correct to decide if they are big anime fans or not based on what they think about the look of the website, in fact because they like anime they want to make it more modern and easy to use - i can relate to that.
i think that there is no need for major changes because we (the users) already used to it and adjusted to it, and that small changes should do the work - making the site a bit more modern and friendly as people here said befoer.
Jul 29, 2019 3:33 AM

Dec 2016
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jul 29, 2019 7:12 AM

Jan 2013
ugmon said:

API? Are they still working on this? Because it seems like it just got added to the never-ending "Things That Users Want But Wil Never Get" list, lol.
Jul 29, 2019 7:46 AM

Jun 2014
Absolutely not.

I like MAL's design, and I cannot stand the style of other "modern/minimalist" forum layouts. I especially hate those "scroll down forever" forum sites.

Regarding Reddit, I hate their new design, so every time I go to a subreddit, I replace "www" with "old" in the address bar, so that I can view the subreddit in the old layout. I even have a Firefox addon that forces the old Youtube layout.

Minimalism sucks.

Jul 29, 2019 1:23 PM
May 2019
sasalx said:
Well, they are doing something in this regard I think. Home page of MAL now has gradient colours! I hope they will add this to every page so we won't have to look at big white columns on left and right without dark mode.

M8 just get a dark mode extension. I recommend dark mode reader for myanimelist
Jul 29, 2019 3:14 PM

Jan 2009
fuyuki said:
ugmon said:

API? Are they still working on this? Because it seems like it just got added to the never-ending "Things That Users Want But Wil Never Get" list, lol.

ye that may well be the case
Aug 9, 2019 1:01 AM

Nov 2012
MAL is easy to use but also very analytical, no reason to change it. Only thing I would change is add more social features in the forums. Like the ability to thank users or give thumbs up.
Aug 9, 2019 11:02 AM

Jun 2015
no reason to change i like it how it is right now.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Aug 11, 2019 9:47 AM

Jul 2014
uhh just go to kitsu or anilist then, but i can't find shit in either of those websites.

basically, no.
Aug 11, 2019 9:16 PM

Jun 2016
Hell no! "Modern design styles" are mostly ugly minimalist garbage that cater solely to mobile devices.
Aug 15, 2019 6:12 PM

Feb 2015
I'm really surprised that so many people are against such idea instead of just going along with it as long as there's option in settings to keep the old one. Or to keep the old one the base version of layout and make the new one selectable in options so nothing needs to be changed if someone wants to keep the former.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Aug 16, 2019 8:07 PM

Feb 2019
Honestly, I believe it's because I've underestimated the age demographic of MAL. It makes sense that if you were born before 1995ish you would like to stick to the classic layouts. However, I believe that if this site wants to continue to capture new users it is necessary to overhaul the site in the next few years.

Hakaminah said:
I'm really surprised that so many people are against such idea instead of just going along with it as long as there's option in settings to keep the old one. Or to keep the old one the base version of layout and make the new one selectable in options so nothing needs to be changed if someone wants to keep the former.

Hakaminah makes a fantastic point this will serve to please both sides.
Aug 17, 2019 8:27 AM

Feb 2015
The only things I'd really like to see added to MAL are a dark theme and BBCode buttons added to post boxes (can't believe default MAL is STILL missing this basic feature that even forums in the early 00's had).
Aug 17, 2019 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
Material Design is nice and all, but I think it's a bit overused at this point. Not every website needs to be based on the same design principle from 5 years ago.

Not saying it couldn't look fantastic based on Material Design, it definitely could if they got some creative people to do it. They should get the guy who redesigned the osu site to do it.

The only problem I see with Reddit's redesign is that now every subreddit's style is uniform; there's way less room for customization and expressing uniqueness. You can only customize the logo and banner now as opposed to the entire page's style.

Reminds me of the YouTube channels redesign in 2013, which I can't remember anybody liking. It'd be comparable to us only being able to customize the background to our lists, and the body would be uniform with a night mode switch lmao

Just compare the old one to the new one and tell me latter isn't lame as hell .-.
Aug 17, 2019 12:02 PM

Feb 2019
GreenSoap said:
Material Design is nice and all, but I think it's a bit overused at this point. Not every website needs to be based on the same design principle from 5 years ago.

Not saying it couldn't look fantastic based on Material Design, it definitely could if they got some creative people to do it. They should get the guy who redesigned the osu site to do it.

The only problem I see with Reddit's redesign is that now every subreddit's style is uniform; there's way less room for customization and expressing uniqueness. You can only customize the logo and banner now as opposed to the entire page's style.

Reminds me of the YouTube channels redesign in 2013, which I can't remember anybody liking. It'd be comparable to us only being able to customize the background to our lists, and the body would be uniform with a night mode switch lmao

Just compare the old one to the new one and tell me latter isn't lame as hell .-.

I couldn't agree more about the top part, if we could get someone to do it right then it would look fantastic. Although this might be just me, I feel like the new design does look lamer, but lame means it looks less busy and minimalistic which is what I think looks best. I can see your point though.
Aug 17, 2019 12:59 PM

Sep 2015
I left several sites after they changed to a "more modern" design. The last of MAL's probles is its "outdated" design.

More topics from this board

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.