Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever really thought about your taste?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 21, 2019 8:07 AM

Mar 2016
Yes, but I will never do so on a serious note.
Jun 21, 2019 10:00 AM

Nov 2013
My taste gets more and more clear and concise over the years. As I notice that I've gone from watching every and anything every season to a selective few that seem worth it and then jump into backlog instead.

I usually avoid lower budget lesser known shows at this point unless they have something that stands out enough to make me check it out.
Jun 21, 2019 10:06 AM

Jun 2014
I used to think my taste was in anime with quality writing, characters and narration, but I have recently gotten into some anime (as well as non-anime shows) that are just dumb fun but lackluster writing and still fell in love with those shows.

I don't really know what my taste is now.
Jun 21, 2019 11:05 AM

Apr 2015
For me it's easier to tell what I don't like. Romance, fluffy, feel-good stuff etc. bores me so usually I don't watch things like that. But they're okay from time to time. What makes me really love something is a lot harder to describe so I don't bother with that. I usually just get that I have weird taste and I'm okay with that.
Jun 21, 2019 11:22 AM

Jun 2019
Just to comment on animation for a second, I know I dislike CGI animation as a whole and will avoid any series that's either all or even partially clumsily integrated CGI.

I hear a lot of folks on here and elsewhere badmouth "old" animation as if the 90s and early 2000s is some ancient epoch, but I'll take this supposedly archaic look any day over what animation is offered by the modern industry. I prefer mellow hand-drawn animation of washed out watercolors, even with faded out, minimalist backgrounds.

Hierarchy for me:

1) Hand-painted cel animation. The Golden Age as far as I'm concerned.

2) All the digital

C) CGI

I have seen several CGI animated films and enjoyed them but if every single one was in traditional 2D animation (digital, since the old way isn't coming back any time soon due to cost-cutting and labor concerns) I would have enjoyed them more, and I would be happy and content if every single animated film to come out was done 2D instead of CGI. It just much better fits the mold of what I had always considered a cartoon rather than an extended video game cut scene or glossy special effects, which is all CGI reminds me of.

I'll still watch one of the movies because it's an hour and a half to three hour viewing experience, but I won't commit to watching any series in a style that just thoroughly turns me off.

Jun 21, 2019 5:46 PM

Oct 2008
I can't help but think about it after I decided to start rating my anime.

My taste in anime consists of, I like when characters physically grow in an anime. When sexual intercourse takes place, or is hinted to have taken place. Also when blood is spilled, the more the better.

I decided that since I was a big boy now and had watched a lot of anime I wanted to be able to tell how much I liked them and what was it about them that I liked.
SofiaBulgaJun 21, 2019 5:51 PM
Jun 21, 2019 6:03 PM
Jul 2018
I just watch whatever I feel like watching. Nowadays that's mostly cute girls doing cute things, mahou shoujo, and psychological thriller or denpa horror, but my tastes change over time.
Jun 21, 2019 6:24 PM

Nov 2018
I certainly like anime with action better, it doesnt even have to be the action genre, even a comedy anime that has some movement in it, hard to explain but comedy based on art style instead of telling jokes.
Jun 21, 2019 6:39 PM

Oct 2013
At this point I have a pretty good grasp on what I'm more likely to enjoy and what I'm more likely to hate.
I don't really think there's such thing as an absolute good or bad taste, there's just different kinds of taste.
For example, I'm not really into SoL and romance, but that doesn't automatically mean everyone who does has bad taste.
Jun 21, 2019 7:41 PM

Dec 2012
YossaRedMage said:

So I want to hear from you. Do you ever stop to think what your taste is? Maybe you have a very clear idea of your taste? Or am I using the word in the wrong way? Do you think the idea of 'good taste' and 'bad taste' has some validity?

Mot really, my taste is just "what I like" or "don't like".

After over two decades of watching anime, I do.

It's fine.

I wouldn't really say anyone has "bad taste", but there are people with different enough taste where the things we watch/like do not align at all, they can even be polar opposites causing me to not use them as reliable sources for recommendations or not take their opinion on things at face value.
KruszerJun 21, 2019 7:44 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 21, 2019 7:50 PM

Aug 2009
Basically: "Anime is trash and so am I."

Jun 21, 2019 7:52 PM

Dec 2017
i dont rlly think about it cuz my taste is dog shit :D
Jun 21, 2019 8:57 PM

Aug 2018
Yes i have a clear vision of what i like and what am looking for to satisfy me
I like romcoms, all gurls, musical anime and kyoani animes
Also i like anime with unique plot and characters and hate generic shows *cough* isekais
SOP-IIJun 21, 2019 9:01 PM
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Jun 21, 2019 9:02 PM

Nov 2017
I always find some elitists here who dislikes shoujo and call anyone who likes the genre immature. They have 2deep4u and elitistcirclejerk favorites.
They take anime too seriously.
Jun 21, 2019 11:00 PM

Jun 2012
I like dark/horror/sad anime that make you think. I just am not compelled by lighthearted stuff with no tension like K-On.
Shoot first, think never.
Jun 22, 2019 12:31 AM

Jul 2016
Pointless thread. People enjoy what they enjoy, it all depends on their tastes and the directing, not the genre.
Jun 22, 2019 7:05 AM

Oct 2015
Clearly, my taste needs not of my concern, as it is in apotheosis. Changing it would only lead to devolution, and I'm not fond of being a reprobate.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Jun 22, 2019 10:36 AM

Jul 2016
You're using the term correctly, but I don't think there's such a thing as good or bad taste because we're defining what that good, or bad is. What I consider to be good taste, will be very different then what you consider to be good taste. Taste is derived from so many different things, at the end of the day our taste is just an outlet for what we like or dislike. Some of those things I think are influenced by our own life experiences. I bet there are some people who hate school/slice of life anime because it reminds them of how terrible their own high school experience was, while others maybe want to look back on that experience and project themselves on to a character and look at high school through the lens that the anime provides.

With that being said I think people really need to understand that some people are going to differ in taste, and that there's nothing wrong with that. I see so many forums on MAL in which the topic is "Why don't people like *insert genre or anime title here*" Or, "Why does *insert anime title or genre here* get so much hate?", I think if people simply understood that some people have their own tastes, there would be less arguing over why people like or dislike the things they like or dislike. At the end of the day, nothing is objective and we shouldn't have to feel judged just cause our taste is different than the general consensus. If you enjoyed watching SAO, good for you! If you hated Full Metal Alchemist, good for you! What's the point in arguing and insulting each over over these forums because we don't agree with each other of what's "good or bad"? We're all watching shitty chinese cartoons anyway.

Jun 22, 2019 12:08 PM
Jul 2018
I think about my taste a lot. Personally, I'm not a fan of Shoujo and I make it clear to those who make me watch any (although Banana Fish is a great anime and manga). I'm not a fan of excessive CGI (although I'm watching Ajin and not minding it), nor am I a fan of blinding animation (although No Game No Life was lovely).

Slice of Life fails to entertain me (although Saiki was near perfect) and melodramas are the death of me (nothing else to add).

In all honesty, I think about my tastes before jumping in the anime bandwagon but there are times I end up watching whatever is on my NEVER WATCH list and not minding it.
Jun 22, 2019 12:18 PM

Aug 2018
I sometimes think about my taste; I realized that a lot of the anime I watched and what I tend to prefer is either shonen or having some sort of gaming mechanic that kinda is more popular with males, and I think that’s because my older two siblings, specifically my older brother, watched a lot of anime. My earliest memories of TV were being in my brother’s room and him and I watching DBZ, Pokemon,
4kids (Specifically Yu-Gi-Oh and Sonic X) and etc. He also had a loooot of Yu-Gi-Oh cards that since 2001 he starting collecting, and we used to play together.

Funny enough, it’s cause of my bro that I watched Toonami, remember when Naruto was on CN, and remember when they did that “A Month of Miyazaki” marathon, specifically Kiki Delivery Service and Spirited Away, where I found my love for Miyazaki movies.
OsumareJun 22, 2019 12:25 PM
"Of what worth is a king who fails to protect the powerless?" —Saber, Fate/Zero
Jun 22, 2019 3:00 PM

Dec 2013
Being aware of your taste makes finding new anime you might like much easier. I personally am into mystery, philosophical, political and surreal anime. Meanwhile I cannot stand 'emotional' cute girl animes like Key adaptations, even though those tend to be pretty well rated on MAL.
Jun 22, 2019 3:56 PM

Jul 2017
YossaRedMage said:
Some people like to think they haven't got a taste and they like anime when it is good and dislike anime when it is bad. But they inevitably invoke the existance of taste to point out how 'bad taste' is why other people like stuff they don't or vice-versa.

But is that really 'taste'? I would say 'taste' is just what we prefer in anime, what tropes and genres tend to more easily grab our attention? Which do we tend to find dull?
you basically wrote all this to say "it's subjective and not objective"? you look like you had a revelation lol, gg
Jun 22, 2019 5:52 PM
Jun 2019
I like eechi, harem and fanservice, I find that many shows I seem to like a lot of Anitubers tend to hate. Like SAO or Asterisk war. I like feel good stuff not so much a fan of things like Dragon Ball Z or Naruto because I found their attempts at being deep and thought provoking laughable. In my eyes I like ecchi and Harem because it doesn't pretend to be more than it is. Its honest in its actions and its that honesty that makes me like the eechi fanservice stuff.
Jun 22, 2019 6:50 PM

Aug 2015
I've realized how bad my taste in anime is since a long time ago. Lol XD

So personally, i often thought about my taste, especially when i want to rate an anime. My mind will usually goes like : "oh look, my taste sure is weird" XD

I don't really know what "good taste" and "bad taste" is. If someone loved an anime that i think isn't that good, I simply say they have "weird taste"... Heck what am i talking about even tho i have weird taste too.. XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jun 22, 2019 8:01 PM

Jan 2017
why think about your taste when you already know its good. we smart
Jun 22, 2019 8:01 PM
May 2018
As long as I find it entertaining I really don't care
Jun 23, 2019 7:34 AM

Oct 2015
I'm an avid fan of anime with strong female lead with some amount of yuribait. But my taste aren't limited to that, since I also like some shounens like Fullmetal Alchemist, or spoof like Inferno Cop or Meet the Spartans.

It's just that these kind of anime with strong female lead tend to need lesser effort to amuse me. I also like some 2deep4u kind of shit, since frankly, I'm a bit edgy.
DesolatedJun 23, 2019 7:38 AM
Jun 23, 2019 8:15 AM

Jun 2014
I definitely have a shit taste for watching too much sports anime, but why should that matter? I enjoy it anyway.
Jun 23, 2019 10:06 AM

Dec 2015
Hmm, Bad Taste?

I think only people around me woud think I have bad taste, people I have talked with in anime communitys at Facebook.
As the group I have been in got most elite scrubs or something very similair to a elite.

People that got the same favorites as the next one, those people have always been shiting in on my taste. Do I care, no.

Do I self think, that I got bad taste, well that's a hard question.

The thing is I enjoy close to everything the anime world have to offer.

What I don't like is childish show, a show that use childish comedy or something that makes the anime looks childish in my eyes.
A good example woud be.

* School Rumble, using comedy to destroy itself.

* Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara, using sparks, magic and Teddybears that is driving buses in a universe we humans can't acces.

* Seitokai Yakuindomo think's that a show is funny, beacuse they use dirty jokes, jeasus.

* Poputepipikku what in hell is this.

This is some shows I have trouble watching, I just can't get over how childish they are in some aspect.
And in my view they coud have become great shows if some aspect of the show was removed.

Then ofc it's exist a few another shows that I think is bad.
But in the long run, I'm not alone with that thinking and scoring.

But I do enjoy Sword Art Online as much as I enjoyed Haibane Renmei.
I got the most casual shity show in my favorite at the same time I got very elite shows.

It's just a very few % of the shows that I watch that I don't like.
And in the long run it's awlays has to do with that the show is childish.

But when it comes down to it, the best thing is to see 2 people fight about what they they thin it's good or bad. It's a joy for the eye to watch.

Jun 23, 2019 10:25 AM
Jun 2019
i like to read or watch something logical. Also creative or has a unique story that will certainly attract my interest
Jun 23, 2019 10:27 AM
Mar 2016
Naturally, I think I have amazing taste. It's a bit counterintuitive to admit that you have shit taste.
Jun 23, 2019 11:47 AM

Feb 2019
Manaban said:
Iunno and I don't care. I like ecchi a lot, but that's because I like sexy things a lot to the point where I think it's my favorite thing in life and surrounding myself with things like that makes me happy. That's about the defining element of my taste, and that's hardly all I watch or like in any type of media.

Don't ever let anyone tell you you're wrong, they will never know the peace you feel surrounded by happy boobs.
Jun 23, 2019 2:45 PM

Aug 2015
I don't believe in good or bad taste, it's all about personal perspective I guess. Who are we to judge somebody else's taste?
I have thought about my own taste more than once, and by now I have a good idea of what I generally appreciate in anime and what I usually dislike, though it doesn't mean that other than "that" would be "bad" or that I cannot be surprised from time to time with something completely different.

I've realized that for me the art and design of the characters and landscapes is very important. If the story is good but the aesthetics feel off, I'm most likely gonna end up dropping the show. (Call me superficial if you want, I call it "eye pleasing" xD)
I'm more into character driven stories. Again, if the plot is interesting, but the characters do not catch my attention or I don't get to sympathize with them, I lose interest. The absence of relatable characters just makes me feel so empty.
I enjoy japanese settings the most, modern and old. The more references to japanese culture, the better.
I appreciate well animated battles, with faithful caption of the movements and well founded motivations behind (which in my opinion is veeeeery rare).
Supernatural elements based on traditional tales and superstitions are most appreciated.
A little romance and a little darkness makes everything more appealing.
Charismatic villains are definitely a must.

But far from being a fixed set of requirements, this is more like a guideline of what I'm naturally drawn to. I'm aware of it and it helps me a lot when it comes to choose what to watch next, however unpredictable surprises are also welcomed.

SumirerireriJun 23, 2019 2:51 PM
Jun 23, 2019 3:00 PM

Aug 2015
shadowblaster5 said:
Naturally, I think I have amazing taste. It's a bit counterintuitive to admit that you have shit taste.

I can think I have a good taste and I admit at the same time that it has happend to me to acknowledge that I like a bad anime, and that I cannot stand an anime which is objectively better than the average. Counterintiutive as it may seem, it sometimes happens when you are honest towards your own taste, and objective towards anime as a whole.
Jun 23, 2019 4:31 PM

Jul 2010
Well I tend to think my taste is pretty good, I like things which make me think, get me emotional or expand my vast knowledge in a way sooo... what more can I ask for

Jun 23, 2019 5:24 PM

Feb 2016
my taste in anime as a person is a perve who likes to laugh, cry and hate on pedos but loves lolis

@lalatinadarkness anyone who chooses shonen over shojo has awful taste

good or bad taste, it's all opinions in the end

you can't prove to me your taste is better than mine
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 23, 2019 6:21 PM
Mar 2016
Sumirerireri said:
shadowblaster5 said:

I can think I have a good taste and I admit at the same time that it has happend to me to acknowledge that I like a bad anime, and that I cannot stand an anime which is objectively better than the average. Counterintiutive as it may seem, it sometimes happens when you are honest towards your own taste, and objective towards anime as a whole.

Tbh, I've had that way of thinking before. But realized, if you like a "bad" anime, doesn't it make it good? An objective view of anime, isn't that just the norm? Good and well-thought shows will be rated high. MAL ratings, although fully subjective, is ironically the closest thing to an "objective" rating. Liking popular and high rated shows doesn't necessarily make your taste good.

PantsuSenseiUwU said:

good or bad taste, it's all opinions in the end

you can't prove to me your taste is better than mine

^
Jun 24, 2019 2:13 AM

Aug 2015
shadowblaster5 said:
Sumirerireri said:

Tbh, I've had that way of thinking before. But realized, if you like a "bad" anime, doesn't it make it good? An objective view of anime, isn't that just the norm? Good and well-thought shows will be rated high. MAL ratings, although fully subjective, is ironically the closest thing to an "objective" rating. Liking popular and high rated shows doesn't necessarily make your taste good. ^

I don't think that liking something makes that something good. But I agree that we cannot be totally objective either, because what is considered good today ("good" meaning "well done") may be considered unsuitable in the future (as it happens sometimes with old animation from a modern perspective) But then that again is a matter of opinion xD
Jun 24, 2019 2:27 AM

Mar 2019
Good or bad, it's all about how you relate to it.

Jun 24, 2019 10:47 AM

Jan 2018
I probably taste pretty bad. You'd probably want to eat me with ketchup.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 2 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 41 minutes ago

6 by LoveYourEyes »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

53 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 1 hour ago

5 by animegamer245 »»
13 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

230 by Coaghim »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.