Forum Settings
Forums
New
How many points do you use in your scale for rating anime?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 10, 2019 4:05 AM
Jul 2018
10⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Jun 10, 2019 7:40 AM

Mar 2019
flannan said:
I have meaningful use for scores 4-10. I don't bother sorting the really bad stuff, so it's likely to all be rated 4.

Sphinxter said:
In fact I think a more interesting system would be not allowing users to give anything a rating but forcing them to order everything they watched from least to most favorite and based on that compute the average percentile score to display.

Sounds like a full-time job, not a useful site to keep track of what I watched.
Why would it be a full time job. After you watched it you just go through a drop down of all the titles you watched (with search of course) and you place it between two others.

Seems fairly easy to me; if you watched a series and you think it's slightly better than another one you just search for the name of the other one and insert it one spot above that one but one below that of the one that is better than both.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 10, 2019 7:46 AM

Aug 2010
my list is out of 9

not that i think it means anything
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jun 10, 2019 8:53 AM

Nov 2009
Sphinxter said:
flannan said:
I have meaningful use for scores 4-10. I don't bother sorting the really bad stuff, so it's likely to all be rated 4.

Sounds like a full-time job, not a useful site to keep track of what I watched.
Why would it be a full time job. After you watched it you just go through a drop down of all the titles you watched (with search of course) and you place it between two others.

Seems fairly easy to me; if you watched a series and you think it's slightly better than another one you just search for the name of the other one and insert it one spot above that one but one below that of the one that is better than both.

1) I have 860 completed titles at the moment. Sorting all of them would take me at least a week.
2) Choosing which of the half-remembered series were better or worse than what I've just watched is quite hard. And keeping what I watched reasonably fresh in memory is a full-time job for a qualified professional.
Jun 10, 2019 10:10 AM

Jul 2016
The typical 1 - 10 scale. Anyone who uses the 1 - 5 scale is nothing short of lazy, and they are doing nothing but hurting Anime scores.
Jun 10, 2019 10:18 AM

Oct 2018
1-11 when it comes to titles that really caught my eye.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Jun 10, 2019 10:23 AM

Jun 2014
I use a 6-10 scale. I do think I have been rating too many anime with a 7 or 8, and the lowest I've given is a 6. If I really don't like a show, then I'll just drop rot and not bother rating it. If I've completed it, then I at least liked it enough to finish it.

I've never given an anime a perfect 10 just because I don't think a flawless anime exists.
Jun 10, 2019 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
I think 1-10 is just perfectly fine.
Jun 10, 2019 10:45 AM

Jul 2016
I think 1-10 is fine however I usually never score something bellow a 5 because if it's less then average it's probably going to be a dropout. And its really rare for me to watch an ENTIRE anime that I don't like, especially because watching anime is not my job.
And I believe I shouldn't rate an anime that I dropped because of people's taste/opinion, in the end, we all like different things.
I dropped Kuroshitsuji for example but I know a lot of people love this anime, even though it wasn't for me I won't rate bellow 5 just because it's not my kind of anime.
I'm not into Shoujo Ai so I'm not going to give bad scores just because of its not my genre.
Now if you really like shoujo and there is a really REALLY bad one then I would give a bad score (bellow 5) if I watch until the end, my only example was Diabolik Lovers that I gave a 4
Jun 10, 2019 12:40 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Surprised to see 3-point in the list, which is what I use. However, I use tags, so my warped system doesn't impact scores here, which also makes it convenient to sort.

★★★ = Good
★★ = Ok
★ = Bad
Credit

I use this system because it takes less effort for me to deliberate rankings but still allow me to roughly group things. So people can still have a general idea what I like, and I don't need to spend time scrutinizing things.
KwanthemasterJun 10, 2019 12:44 PM
Jun 10, 2019 12:51 PM

Aug 2015
1 to 10. This way:

10- Masterpiece (My favorites)
9- Excellent (some of my favorites and really good ones by my standard)
8- Really Good (Everything really enjoyable and with quality)
7- Good (Fun, simple or just fine by me)
6- Regular (I would not recommend anything here If I would tell you)
5- Mediocre (just as the word say, "so so", not hot not cold, just there)
4- Bad (straight up bad. Not really enjoyable. 90% of ecchis goes here)
3- Really bad (try to not touch these)
2- Horrible (Fairy Tail and some others like Blood C)
1- Should not exist (Midori, do not even waste your time searching for it).
Jun 10, 2019 1:36 PM

Mar 2015
4-10 mostly. I wouldn't mind using 1-3/4 more, but I refuse to sit through an anime that bad. At that point it's not enjoyable.
woah there
Jun 10, 2019 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
I use the full 1-10 rating scale and i think as a system it works fine. Many websites tend to have a "5 stars" scale like rotten tomatos but even in those you have the option to give half-a-star so it pretty much equates to same 1-10 rating.
A bigger scale would sound like to much of a hassle and not many people would bother to use it to the full extend, percentages looks unnecessary sense most tend to round the score and a smaller scale would lead to a lot of series getting the same ratting. So i think using a 1-10 works fine.
Jun 10, 2019 6:44 PM

Aug 2017
The anime has to be really bad to get a 5 or below but I take into consideration all the points. I usually only watch higher rated anime to begin with so I don’t have many duds in my watchlist.
"Whether doing good or evil, I will be the boss."

Jun 10, 2019 7:20 PM

Apr 2015
People who don't use the bottom 5 are stupid as hell. There are 10 points for a reason.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 10, 2019 8:55 PM

Oct 2008
I rarely use the bottom half but I still consider 6 to be fine, 7 good, etc. I don't think 6 is a replacement for 1 or something.
Jun 10, 2019 9:36 PM

May 2010
i also use 1-10 but am top heavy due to knowing what i like and not intentionally watching crap just to have a 5.5 bell curve
i have intentionally watched or plan to watch some bad shows just to see what people were talking about and only rate 10 to bring them to the top of my lists even if they aren't perfect.
Jun 10, 2019 9:46 PM

Jan 2017
7 to 10. Anything I would rate below 7 is something I would've dropped. Only stuff that got extremely worse while airing has managed to sneak into my list at 4's
Jun 10, 2019 10:02 PM

Sep 2018
I just use the basic 1-10. There hasn't been a single anime I've given a 1 yet though

Jun 10, 2019 11:11 PM
Aug 2018
Most of the time i use 1-10. When I first started watching I used to just give ratings over 8 but I grown up of that phase
Jun 11, 2019 1:06 AM
Jul 2018
zombie_pegasus said:
It's popular on MAL to not use the bottom 5 points of the scale, either due to laziness or out of a moral obligation to reward the creators for their efforts (or make them look down on you if the creators actually hated their own project and were just making it for money).

How are the scores defined on MAL, 6 means fine and 7 means good.
Why would I force myself to watch anime that I would rate even lower, I just drop it usually.
I dont see a reason not to use 7 on an anime with maybe 1 or 2 "average" episodes out of 12, when I obviously finished and liked it. I dont get why people force themselves through bad anime and give it a shitty score, nobody asks them to.
Jun 11, 2019 6:18 AM

Nov 2014
Was gonna answer 10, but in reality, I've actually got 51 categories with like each 1-10 value having at least three categories of quality under it. Shits gotten way too complicated, but I'm too far gone now
Jun 11, 2019 6:56 AM

Oct 2018
Oh I can already see some will reply with some bs because of my mean score, and because of my rating system, as always...
Well, bring it on.

So:
First, I only use the scale from 5-10. It has some simple reasons.

• 1. I only rate anime that I've completed, never rate dropped ones unless I've watched at least 3/5 of it.
    Otherwise, why down vote an anime just because I didn't like it, while I know it wasn't actually bad.
  • 2. If I don't find an anime good enough to give it at least 6/10, then I just simply don't watch it. Why would I torture myself watching something I don't even enjoy?
  • 3. A long ago I've used 1-5 rating system on other sites, and I'm already used to it

Then let's proceed with simply describing how I rate an anime from 5 to 10:

• 5/10: this is an extremely rare case for me, this means that the anime was honestly horrible.
    I think the only anime I've given this score is Tokyo Ghoul's last season, which was simply terrible.
    I've never felt so bored watching an anime.
    If I'd used the entire scale, it would be 1/10 without a doubt.
  • 6/10: I rate an anime 6/10 if it was just fine.
    Something that was mostly quite boring, but for some reason I'd finished it
  • 7/10: This means, that the anime was good enough to watch it once, but not more. I wouldn't watch more seasons of it.
  • 8/10: This is where the "I liked it" category begins.
    If I've rated an anime 8/10, that means I actually enjoyed watching it and it didn't bore me at all, and there's a high chance I'd watch another season of it.
  • 9/10: There's not much difference between 9/10 and 10/10.
    9/10 is an anime that I've really enjoyed and I could watch plenty of seasons of it without getting bored, but it didn't really leave a big impression in me. Even though I enjoyed these anime, not enough to re-watch them.
  • 10/10: And then there's 10/10, which in my eye is an absolute masterpiece.
    This is the category which has actually left an impression in me, and I could watch every anime I've given this score forever, and I always re-watch these at least once.

As you can see, I have a a pretty high mean score, one of 8.74.
That's because I really enjoy watching anime. It's fairly rare that I don't like an anime I actually finish.
I also have a lot of anime rated 10/10, because there are lots of anime that I enjoyed that much, simple as that.

I always rate an anime based on how much I'd enjoyed it. I don't care about such things as character development, animation style and other things that many consider when rating an anime.

You can complain about my rating system, but it won't change.
-Aincrad-Jun 11, 2019 7:11 AM
Jun 11, 2019 7:37 AM

Jun 2019
My rating system is as follows:

10 or S - My all-time favorites

9 or A - Great anime shows that are not my all-time favorites

8 or B - Very good anime shows that I will probably rewatch in future

7 or C - Watchable stuff that I overall enjoyed and could see watching again, but
wouldn't go out of my way to do so

6 or D - Anime that I finished watching but I will probably never rewatch again,
and if I could tell my past self not to watch them, I would

1-5 or F - Any anime in this category will be dropped
Jun 11, 2019 11:10 AM

Jul 2015
i use all of em 1-5 i didnt find interesting 6 - 10 for stuff i find interesting
and the points between are based on my enjoyment

Well...
Jun 11, 2019 1:22 PM

Aug 2018
1 to 10, because I think scores are more accurate. More/less than 10 points confuse me.

10 = masterpiece, very important for me, apotheosis
9 = amazing, barely any flaws, near to my 10s
8 = great, minimal flaws I don't really care about
7 = pretty good but wasn't remarkable/didn't have an important impact on me
6 = flawed, but still good & enjoyable, worth my time
5 = watchable but neither good or bad, maybe I'm ambivalent or I didn't feel anything
4 = meh, subpar, did not like this, maybe there were some decent ideas/things/moments
3 = terrible, it's hard to think about a thing I liked about this one
2 = just awful, insulting
1 = worst of the worst

Jun 11, 2019 6:32 PM

Aug 2018
I only use 10's and 1's any other # is irrelevant. Why you may ask? I don't know you ask too many questions
warning this idiot is a professional retard
Jun 12, 2019 6:59 AM

Jun 2014
Like a true patrician would, of course.

6 - unwatchable garbage, only reserved for the very worst shows
7 - plain bad
8 - unremarkable
9 - good
10- very good

Jun 12, 2019 7:06 AM

Dec 2016
6 out of the 10 points: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 10.

I'm really comfortable with it, it allows me to reflect well all the main feelings: hated / disliked / mixed / liked / loved / favorite, without the need to overthink stuff: no "is this a 3 or a 4, a 7 or an 8?" stuff.
Jun 12, 2019 8:00 AM

Dec 2013
I don't use the bottom half often, because I usually rate anime only after I finish them and I'm not going to finish something I hate. However, I do occasionally make exceptions, so I suppose I use 10 point scale.
Jul 14, 2020 11:23 AM

May 2018
1 to 10 but in a different way then the MAL description:

10 - Masterpiece (it can have minor flaws because nothing is perfect)
9 - Great - Amazing but not a masterpiece, a really good show that have bigger flaws then the Masterpiece tag.
8 - Very Good- Great show that i enjoyed a lot but is not close to 10 or 9.
7 - Good - pretty much a bit above average.
6 - Fine - an average show.
5 - Average - for me the rating 5 is just a bad show.
4 - Bad - Horrible show that i will never recommend anyone even for the memes.
3 - Very bad - somehow even worse then 4.
2 - Horrible - abomination.
1 - Appalling - This should not exist.
Jul 14, 2020 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
It's the same old story: most times I don't see a reason to finish something I would rate beyond 6, like what's not even "fine" with me, and I don't see a reason to rate something that I dropped either.

Optigisa said:
The typical 1 - 10 scale. Anyone who uses the 1 - 5 scale is nothing short of lazy, and they are doing nothing but hurting Anime scores.

I never claimed that I'm not lazy. I mean, where is the lie tho.
removed-userJul 14, 2020 12:20 PM
Jul 14, 2020 12:27 PM
Apr 2020
I use 5-10 normally so that the creators don't feel bad. Not like they care lol. A 4 in rare cases
Jul 14, 2020 2:46 PM

Jul 2019
2-10. I don't have any kind of rational reason for not using 1, I just like to think of myself as a generous human being.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

48 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Yesterday

8 by cody »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

137 by KittenCuddler »»
15 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
26 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.