Forum Settings
Forums

Criteria for Title Changing of Anime/Manga to Japanese or English?

New
May 12, 2019 2:59 AM

Oct 2015
Seems like a good time to ask what specific criteria is observed when it comes to the main title of a series considering how vocal everyone is with the changes from iconic names to their japanese counterparts.

From my understanding, they're trying to name the series/manga based on the canon title when released? or are the titles' characters directly translated to romaji? Does that mean we will be seeing something like Steins; Gate to turn out like Sutayns Gate or some shit? A little bit of elaboration is appreciated
May 12, 2019 3:07 AM
Jul 2018

May 12, 2019 3:08 AM

Jan 2009
a related note i keep saying to threads like this is they have plans to give users a button switch in language title (from english to japanese and vice versa) so because there is a new owner now then maybe gonna start development again of the site soon its safe to say that all titles will be in japanese by default (sooner or later)

source for that plan https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3gedyl/im_xinil_creator_and_lead_admin_of_myanimelist/ctxg35q/
May 12, 2019 3:50 AM

Oct 2015
deg said:
a related note i keep saying to threads like this is they have plans to give users a button switch in language title (from english to japanese and vice versa) so because there is a new owner now then maybe gonna start development again of the site soon its safe to say that all titles will be in japanese by default (sooner or later)

source for that plan https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3gedyl/im_xinil_creator_and_lead_admin_of_myanimelist/ctxg35q/
Does Xinil still have authority over the changes made on this site?
May 12, 2019 3:54 AM

Jan 2009
EGOIST said:
deg said:

Does Xinil still have authority over the changes made on this site?

probably not since he is not the owner anymore for a long time now but he is still the main developer afaik since he built this site from scratch so he knows more the spaghetti codes of this sites source code
May 12, 2019 8:26 AM
Manga DB Admin
Jun 2010
I don't believe this is explained properly in the guidelines, so here is my understanding: The primary title is the title in the country of origin (i.e. Japan). For an anime, that title is romanized, but any words that aren't in Japanese are represented as they would be in their native language, rather than romanizing the Japanese pronunciation. With the examples of Steins;Gate and Code Geass, both are the official titles used in Japan, but since they aren't actually Japanese, the current primary titles are correct.
There's only a few anime franchises left that would actually have their titles changed under these rules anyways (Fullmetal Alchemist, Detective Conan, Mobile Suit Gundam, and Neon Genesis Evangelion are the ones that I can remember). In any case, I think that the option to toggle the primary and English titles would make everyone happy, so I hope that it is implemented.
May 23, 2019 3:44 PM
Mar 2015
I absolutely hate it every time they change a shows name into its japanese counterpart. How hard is it to give us the changing option? On livechart, you can do it in 2 seconds. Also, if they ever give us the changing option, what will it be like? Will it be only for the user (so if someone else views their list, they still see japanese titles there)? Will it be only for the users list (all the tiles in his list are permanently in english)? Can it be changed so when you have english on and you browse MAL, all titles will be english?
May 24, 2019 1:13 AM

Feb 2015
It really feels weird seeing "Koukaku Kidoutai" instead of "Ghost in the Shell" when all the covers are just screaming the letter because it's either the only title or because it's more focused on than the JP as it's bigger and more noticeable.
Denji said:
I think that the option to toggle the primary and English titles would make everyone happy, so I hope that it is implemented.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
May 24, 2019 2:10 AM
May 2016
It would be nice to be able to toggle the language displayed in our lists to the proper Japanese name too (in kanji/kana).

Sometimes I want to show Japanese people my list but they can't easily understand the romaji.
Nov 23, 2023 8:58 PM
Jul 2018
Denji said:
There's only a few anime franchises left that would actually have their titles changed under these rules anyways (Fullmetal Alchemist, Detective Conan, Mobile Suit Gundam, and Neon Genesis Evangelion are the ones that I can remember).

It's been 4 years since this was posted. Why does it take so long to change these titles to Japanese to make them consistent with the rest of the database? The only ones that have been changed are Gundam and Ghost in the Shell.

There is also inconsistency between anime/manga in the same franchise. For example:
removed-userNov 23, 2023 9:52 PM
Dec 11, 2023 12:39 AM
Nov 2023
I don't know if the post above caused this but Evangelion and Detective Conan have been changed to their Japanese names
Dec 11, 2023 9:50 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Reply to Mister_Kay
I don't know if the post above caused this but Evangelion and Detective Conan have been changed to their Japanese names
@ThisIsNotATest

I mentioned about the issue with conan not having the romaji title in the malcord server. Not sure if a db mod saw it and made the change or it is due to that post.

I'm glad they changed it to the proper romaji name like the rest of the entries on this db.

WELL, except for 1 widely known title FMAB which should be changed to
Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST
Dec 12, 2023 9:35 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Fuwa_san
@ThisIsNotATest

I mentioned about the issue with conan not having the romaji title in the malcord server. Not sure if a db mod saw it and made the change or it is due to that post.

I'm glad they changed it to the proper romaji name like the rest of the entries on this db.

WELL, except for 1 widely known title FMAB which should be changed to
Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST
@Fuwa_san No way that will be disgusting
The new EVA titles are already an appalling eyesore lol.
Dec 13, 2023 3:57 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to Cestlavie_
@Fuwa_san No way that will be disgusting
The new EVA titles are already an appalling eyesore lol.
I agree it's a bad change but at least it's consistent. It's not fair that 99.9% of anime on this site uses Japanese titles but the iconic ones keep their English titles. They should either use Japanese for everything or English for everything (except those without official English titles).
Dec 13, 2023 4:49 PM
Jun 2021
Reply to Mister_Kay
I agree it's a bad change but at least it's consistent. It's not fair that 99.9% of anime on this site uses Japanese titles but the iconic ones keep their English titles. They should either use Japanese for everything or English for everything (except those without official English titles).
@ThisIsNotATest @Cestlavie_ the whole change was implemented to allow for a switch in the options you can toggle according to your own preference. So, you can go Main (i.e. Japanese), English, German, French, Spanish. It's in the Settings menu under List. In that tab you go to Default Settings, third option button is for anime titles fourth for manga.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Dec 13, 2023 5:57 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to TheMechaManiac
@ThisIsNotATest @Cestlavie_ the whole change was implemented to allow for a switch in the options you can toggle according to your own preference. So, you can go Main (i.e. Japanese), English, German, French, Spanish. It's in the Settings menu under List. In that tab you go to Default Settings, third option button is for anime titles fourth for manga.
I know that, but the thing is the main/Japanese titles are not consistent because some entries like FMA/FMAB still use the English name as the main title

Edit: Pokemon also (as mentioned above)
Mister_KayDec 13, 2023 7:24 PM
Dec 27, 2023 9:39 AM

Sep 2008
I think they should follow the official title that JP use:
Steins;Gate on their official website http://www.steinsgate.tv/index.html so Steins;Gate is okay
but ex. Fullmetal Alchemist should be changed on Hagane no Renkinjutsushi since official websites use "hagaren" not "fullmetal"
Just like Shingeki no Kyojin even if they got official english title Attack on Titan they use "shingeki"

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8686 by Psychomorphosis »»
6 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

681 by SurgingSoulZX »»
Yesterday, 7:33 AM

» My Daemon ( 1 2 )

marcolacson - Nov 26, 2023

50 by veduHMY »»
Apr 23, 3:36 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.