Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2019 10:32 AM
Jun 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally, a journey started over a year ago, when I stumbled on this anime by accident has come to an end

Lots of philosophy, lots of self pity, and lots of tears...some in unexpected places.

Potential for third season? We hope!
"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love, so if one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
May 5, 2019 4:41 AM

Apr 2011
Keyman and Kato dying hit me really hard.
I cried for a full minute.
I just- really felt like they deserved to live, ya know? It's awful. ;-;

Beautiful ending theme, and it was a little contrived but at least Kodai and Yuki lived and were rescued in the end...

...annnnd now I'm crying again.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
May 7, 2019 6:26 AM
Apr 2016
AngelicTotoro said:

Beautiful ending theme, and it was a little contrived but at least Kodai and Yuki lived and were rescued in the end...

Yeah if anything I wish Keyman survived. Leaving such a fine lass unattended... 'Tis a pity beyond words.

All in all great conclussion, the old military goon crying either because Kodai and Yuki are finally home OR because he knows it all costs him his little cheat dimension... left unclear, and better this way. Feels like everyone got a proper ending to their story, I am certainly content I got to see a conclussion for the story since that film at least four years ago, when they got stuck in a fake hotel with scarred Garmillas and Yamato. What I want to say, it is a great series and should probably be concluded right here. Something something Gurren Lagann all over BUT at least the villains got a better send off than the THANOS DID! I am still mad about that and I will miss him 3000.
Re:formed
May 8, 2019 12:06 AM

May 2012
What an amazing ending, really find this revisit a lot better compared to the first version revisit! Really beautiful put in picture, the changes really took me by surprise but made it oh so damn impressive!

Really loved it from start to finish and I really did hope Isao would sing the last ending song but alas that wasn't the case.

Still very happy with this and I while I was really waiting until this completed for more than year ago, I must say now finally maarthoning it, it is probably one of the better if not best newer space opera's!

All in all it was just a complete masterpiece if you ask me!
May 15, 2019 2:01 AM
Jul 2011
I watched this anime on and off for a year. I barely remember the previous episodes and the plot itself. TBH I'm not so fond of the villain Zworder coz I think he speaks too much than act. Regardless, I kept on watching till the end and I really like the ending. It's not as epic as 2199 but still one of the best space animes I've seen. I hope there'll be a special episode or movie.
May 19, 2019 8:18 PM

Mar 2012
I love these reboots of older series. Definitely well done although glad I decided to wait until all of the episodes were released before watching.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 13, 2019 10:45 PM

Aug 2014
Overall, I did not get the same thrills and excitement I got when watching 2199. I get the message 2202 was trying to send, but the plot was pretty stupid and the exposition and scientific techno babble mixed in with magic pixie dust parts of the show was pretty dumb. 2199 had some of those same elements and did it so damn well.

I'll give it a 6/10. Because this just felt generic. 2199 actually felt like an epic space opera.
Jun 24, 2019 12:14 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Ankylar said:
Overall, I did not get the same thrills and excitement I got when watching 2199. I get the message 2202 was trying to send, but the plot was pretty stupid and the exposition and scientific techno babble mixed in with magic pixie dust parts of the show was pretty dumb. 2199 had some of those same elements and did it so damn well.

I'll give it a 6/10. Because this just felt generic. 2199 actually felt like an epic space opera.

2199 definitely did it better than 2202. The plot, script was more tight, and I got the feeling that there was better direction in some episodes. The universe felt more real on several levels, while here in 2202, we were dangerously touching "magical" territory with some of the explanations.

I want a sequel OVA featuring Akira. And where she finally gets her man, please!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 27, 2019 11:36 AM
Jul 2018
That was the most beautiful fucking ending to an anime series ever. I fucking loved it

I admit it got a bit boring in the middle, it wasn't as thrilling as 2199. But this is a lot more theme orientated as the director admitted and he did an excellent job with the ending.

Jul 12, 2019 3:55 PM

May 2013
This season was more ambitious and willing to be weird. Imagine if this were Majora's Mask and 2199 were Ocarina of Time. Still prefer 2199 but I can't hate.

This philosophy was interesting. It's message is kinda the opposite of that of Star Trek. Instead of emphasizing the importance of efficiency and collective survival, it argues that "living" is important and that society should look out for the individual.

Kinda sappy at and melodramatic at points but touching these ideas without that stuff would be hard.

Daniel_Naumov said:
AngelicTotoro said:

Yeah if anything I wish Keyman survived. Leaving such a fine lass unattended... 'Tis a pity beyond words.

All in all great conclussion, the old military goon crying either because Kodai and Yuki are finally home OR because he knows it all costs him his little cheat dimension... left unclear, and better this way..

Pretty sure its made pretty clear.

He's a professional army man who has to argue for the responsible decision but he knows whats right.

Kinda why he envys them.

Jul 27, 2019 5:42 AM

Aug 2008
old military dude was only voice of reason, this ending is just BS they gave future of humanity to maybe save 2 people.
Animation/art were amazing, story and characters weren't on par with previous season
Sep 10, 2019 2:45 PM

Dec 2013
Great season overall. I had a pretty good time watching all the characters again. I do find it hard to believe that they would actually sacrifice the time fault to try and save the two people. Aside from that I didn't have a problem with this season.
Sep 22, 2019 10:01 AM

May 2012
While I enjoyed the first season well enough, one of it's biggest flaws imo was the underdeveloped characters, a problem that only grew worse here with the new cast members and fewer moments of downtime between battles. Characters would do a 180 on their beliefs in the span of an episode, fall in love with each other while hardly interacting, or make decisions so illogical they'd give a stoned teenager pause.

Which leads me to Kato's betrayal. From a writing standpoint, I hated everything about this plot point and it dropped the show a full point for me. I know love for your child can make a parent do crazy things, even putting their child's well-being above the greater good, but to sabotage the greatest weapon against an enemy whose end goal is the complete eradication of humanity? Even if they cure him, which requires you trusting them for some reason, he'll just end up surviving to die alongside your wife. And worse than it actually happening was how it just got swept under the rug. Yeah, I get that the higher-ups didn't want to publicize it and bring down morale, but even his crew accepts him with open arms, despite that he could've gotten them all killed.

I watched the first 11 episodes as they came out, took a long break, and picked it back up just recently. I probably would've been better off dropping it, because even though the art, animation, and music were all great, the characters and plot were seriously lacking. 5/10
Oct 25, 2019 12:24 PM
Dec 2014
Well that concluded 26 episodes of stuff happening. Weaker than it predecessor in almost every way. Almost all the time was spent on plotting to the detriment of the characters. The resulting plot turned out jumbled and hand-wavy. Almost all of the battles were pew-pew fests without any tension or stakes with an over abundance of ever escalating deus ex machina.

One of the most disappointing equals I've seen in years (almost as much as Psycho-pass 2).
Dec 11, 2019 11:12 PM

Dec 2015
Finally done watching after taking a break since episode 22, 1 or 2 months ago.

Great production values overall and fight scenes, but the whole story and characters felt underwhelmed and pretty messy, especially compared to 2199, not to mention the whole 'Human' & 'Love' stuffs

The Gatlantis were portrayed as bigger, grander and way more powerful antagonist, but they felt pretty underwhelming compared to Gamillas in 2199

And from the trailer I thought that purple haired woman would be major character with good development, but in the end was underdeveloped sadly

Fortunately Keyman is a good new character for me tho

I'm sad Melda is not here, but at least that dimensional submarine captain (Flakken) is, even for a short while

And while the ending is pretty sweet for most characters, the decision to trade off Time Fault with two people just sounds straight BS to me, no matter how Sanada try to convince us (one of my favorite character, but this part just leave a bad taste in my mouth)

Overall, 6.5/10
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199: Hoshimeguru Hakobune (movie) > Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 > Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi
Dec 29, 2019 9:06 AM

Dec 2015
While I enjoyed the first 10-12 episodes of the show, the insufferable blabbering of Zworder villain was simply too much to let it slide. Characters randomly dying mid series but I couldn’t care less. Clearly the director wanted to pay some sort of homage to the old series, and this resulted in the most retro shit I have ever seen. Seriously, the last few scenes AND especially the very last scene is so retro/old school, if you would show a random screenshot of it and say “this was made in the 70s”, I would believe you.

However, that doesn’t mean that ur now allowed to spew stupid love philosophy for 15 episodes of what basically could have been summarized in like 3 sentences.
There were some beautiful moments, like when they met the goddess of that planet, or the pixie dust stuff.
It’s even more frustrating when you remember the first episodes, where that epic song comes on and gives that sinister vibe and be like “oh yeah, shits bout to go down”.
But it didn’t.
Thank fucking god the 3rd season will have a different director again, I wouldn’t consider watching it otherwise if this director would be in charge again. Screw this.
3/10.
Feb 8, 2020 3:59 PM

Aug 2017
Yamato 2202 was a strange experience. Somehow it remained interesting and emotionally exciting (except for a few moments) despite its obvious writing flaws. It's certainly not on the same level as 2199 - although it could've been! Dessler's new role and his chemistry with Keyman was great to watch, yet remained fatally flawed because the genesis of the story - Dessler's return - was not explained whatsoever. He just got revived for the sake of the story. He may improve as much as you like, but without the proper excuse for returning him it's still flawed.
It's also kinda sad that Gamilas never received enough attention despite rebuilding society on new principles. And even the characters from 2199 like Melda were just shown in the last episode just for a cameo, never receiving any story.
There were also several scenes which suffered severely from deus ex machinas - Yuki's almost magical rescue on the fire planet, Kato's ridiculous and illogical betrayal, and so on, and so on. I've already dumped all of my thoughts in previous episodes. The show suffers too much from bad execution in details here and there, despite the overall idea being okay. I also feel like the final battle with Gatlantis was a lot longer than it should've been. Some characters also had wasted potential - like, Yuki forgot the last several years but remembered her past before the car crash. Welp, I guess the viewers don't need to know that at all! I'm also disappointed that some of the secondary crew members were pushed aside completely, especially Niimi. Though I must say that the new ones (Keyman, who was the best characters of the show, Hijikata, Saito and Nagakura were a pleasure to watch).
I'm just too tired to list all other things I found unsatisfying about 2202, so I'll just say some pleasant things now. The OST is probably the best thing about the show, Akira Miyazawa is a great composer, and the whole soundtrack is epic.
Overall, I just don't know. On the one hand, 2202 wasn't horrible and had quite a lot of great and emotional moments, on the other hand it had so many bad writing decisions and deus ex machinas/space magic that I just don't know... I guess it's a 6-7/10 on my scale.

P.S. Seeing Akira in a skirt was refreshing. How in the world did she get on Yamato after being stranded in space in a cockpit (it can be seen during the explosion of her ship) is another plothole though.
P.P.S. At some point Kodai was shown scenes from older Yamato installations as "memories" or something like that, nice
St0rmbladeFeb 8, 2020 4:26 PM
Mar 8, 2020 2:54 PM

Jan 2015
This was a journey!

Watched the first season almost two years ago and love it. This season was...something.

I enjoyed the fact I saw the conclusion of the story but at what price because here I am sad because Ranhalt died.

sigh...
May 15, 2020 9:50 PM

May 2010
Lack of character focus. 2199 focused even on the supporting crew, this one does not.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 12, 2020 12:41 AM

Dec 2008
I was left going "HOW THE FUCK DID AKIRA SURVIVE?" She was never seen on the ship after her plane got blown up, so how did she even end up on the Yamato? I get it if Theresa had something to do with it, but it really bugged me.

I think I have to agree with many who say this is an inferior sequel. If it wasn't an idiot ball moment (Kato), then it was retcons (Dessler), or not explained (Saito...seriously, when did he become a sleeper agent?). There is a lack of focus on the characters, and it felt like important scenes that could've explained this were cut out the way it was edited.

I wanted to like this, but it's a 5/10 for me.
Jul 18, 2020 5:49 AM

Nov 2018
Quite the ride but I'm finally done with 2202.

This season was missing something that 2199 had, a spark, or maybe the element of mystery or the adventure aspect that the prequel had. I don't think this show reached the levels that it's predecessor did.

Still, it was quite nice to watch, and the animation and music are top notch, in line with what 2199 achieved. I feel they experimented more on the ships and the fighting, now that they had the time fault to produce thousands of ships, and I quite enjoyed the flashiness of the battles.

My biggest iffy was the story and how weird it became at times, wasn't too big of a fan. The characters were probably a step or two lower than 2199, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Overall, I give this a 7.5/10 --> 8/10 (maybe a 7/10 if I feel more critical)

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Oct 24, 2020 11:58 AM

Dec 2008
2202 was too long by 1 episode, I'd prefer for it to end with the 25th episode that'd be a bittersweet end, the 26th ep delivered cheesy happy ending (with borderline deus ex machina use of Yamato towards the end, also I cannot fathom any military in the world handing over power given by Time Fault Factory to save just two people). To add to this, at some points this season felt a bit out of place with all that talk about love, I wouldn't even bat an eye if Zordar would suddenly pull off a magical girl transormation.
I'm in two minds about what happened to Yamamoto. Creators needed character who would fulfil role of a messenger, Akira's teleportation from where her fighter was destroyed to Yamato can be explained by Teresa's intervention. It could've been done better.
I liked how Dessler's character was developed and reasons behind him expanding Gamilas' territory. What baffles me is that Gamilians were shown as more preoccupied with political transformation than finding solution to the much bigger problem.
Despite me complaining about it, I enjoyed 2202 quite a lot.
Feb 8, 2021 9:19 AM

Nov 2019
What a ridiculous ending.

I certainly get that when watching Yamato you have to be willing to accommodate a large amount of ludicrous nonsense... but this hand-wavy timeskip mysticism goes way too far.

Worse is that this entry as a whole lacked any exciting encounters on par with the prequel's. The conflicts lacked impact, feeling almost like an afterthought.
Jul 18, 2021 8:49 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
WTF ending was this?!
Also, I m still very confused on what happened to Zordar after episode 25. What a mess this was.

Robiiii said:
While I enjoyed the first 10-12 episodes of the show, the insufferable blabbering of Zworder villain was simply too much to let it slide. Characters randomly dying mid series but I couldn’t care less. Clearly the director wanted to pay some sort of homage to the old series, and this resulted in the most retro shit I have ever seen. Seriously, the last few scenes AND especially the very last scene is so retro/old school, if you would show a random screenshot of it and say “this was made in the 70s”, I would believe you.

However, that doesn’t mean that ur now allowed to spew stupid love philosophy for 15 episodes of what basically could have been summarized in like 3 sentences.
There were some beautiful moments, like when they met the goddess of that planet, or the pixie dust stuff.
It’s even more frustrating when you remember the first episodes, where that epic song comes on and gives that sinister vibe and be like “oh yeah, shits bout to go down”.
But it didn’t.
Thank fucking god the 3rd season will have a different director again, I wouldn’t consider watching it otherwise if this director would be in charge again. Screw this.
3/10.

Thank you, you saved me time to address the mess this disappointing sequel was...
It was just as visually beautiful as 2199, but visuals alone are not enough, this is the biggest example I have ever seen of fucking up a promising start, making a mess out of the story that you can't even fully comprehend all the silly shit you were watching, while the characters you enjoyed previously are also dragged down the gutter.

At the start of writing this, I was thinking that it could still be a 7 due to its visuals and sometimes great ending themes, but when written in front of me, on how poorly I felt towards the plot and characters progression...

WASTE

6.4/10= 6

Even though I didn't think 2199 was the masterpiece many praised it to be, it still hold itself in a much better regard, even without its visuals.

WASTE, waste of a sequel, took me so long to finish this season...
Let the sequel to this be much better please!
Nov 13, 2021 1:35 AM
Apr 2016
I felt the first half or so of this series entertained just as much as 2199, although I did feel the mission itself being vaguer lended it to being less interesting. In 2199 you knew it was all the humans in it together as one last effort, a them against the universe vibe etc. So there was less spies and traitors and all this stuff which I think actually benefitted it a bit more as you were with Yamato the whole way.

This time it's more vague and even when they got to Teresa I don't even know what she apparently did that made it worth it (maybe manipulate them into setting events into motion?).

Second half was a bit of a slog, with Zworder and then others rambling on about love and other intangible things. It started to lose me and then the actual plot development/action scenes suffered as a result as I was becoming less invested into it all.

The ending was pretty bad, Kodai was basically responsible for half the issues in the finale because he just didn't take the shot when he had the chance against Zworder, instead saying he was human and they could have a dialogue. This guy has just spent the last few decades killing like tens of billions of people and THIS is the one guy you want to give a chance? After you blow up tons of ships with huge crews without batting an eyelid... and of course he regrets it.

And then they want to sacrifice their biggest strategic advantage just to save this guy who effectively screwed them over? The irony is every single time humans elect not to take the moral decision (using wave motion as a weapon, using the time fault, etc.) it actually ends up paying off. If they had never used any of that stuff they'd been wiped out 5 times over already in this series. It just makes their naive ideals even more stupid, and the series STILL goes with it as if it's the right thing.

Overall I think this series has too much leniency with characters whose poor decisions get massive amounts of people killed (Kato, Desler, Kodai, etc.) because they had the "right motivations." Considering whole crews of Earth ships are blown up like it's nothing it seems really weird all the top brass and everyone only cares about these few people, even though they are insubordinate and make silly decisions based on emotions despite being military veterans.
Nov 15, 2023 8:21 PM
Jul 2014
It's cool to see all the little references to the previous Yamato series and movies in the scene that Kodai is seeing all the possible futures. In some way, that connects all Yamato's in a same universe, which makes a lot of sense.
Unpopular opinion, i liked this season more than 2199. First of all, Saraba Uchuu Senkan Yamato it's for me one of the greatest anime movies of all times, and it's nice to see that they paid it some respects. Also, 2199 had a lot of fanservice, which for me, It took away a bit of seriousness from the series. When in some parts this season it's worst than 2199, in other parts i think it's better, and overall, i enjoyed more 2202.
PD: Also, it's nice that they used the ending song of Saraba Uchuu Senkan Yamato.
aburame_ernestoNov 15, 2023 9:27 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi Episode 25 Discussion

9jaotaku - Apr 28, 2019

7 by aburame_ernesto »»
Nov 15, 2023 8:04 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi Episode 24 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - May 7, 2019

6 by aburame_ernesto »»
Nov 15, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi Episode 15 Discussion

Playcool - Nov 23, 2018

9 by aburame_ernesto »»
Nov 13, 2023 7:34 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi Episode 7 Discussion

wakka9ca - Dec 25, 2017

5 by jiropracter »»
Aug 26, 2023 8:38 PM

» Yamato 2202 Drinking Game

WaterSoullll - Jul 15, 2023

0 by WaterSoullll »»
Jul 15, 2023 8:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.